Irish stamp honouring Che Guevara causes a stir

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Irish stamp honouring Che Guevara causes a stir

Post by MargoZ »

Anger over Irish decision to honor “mass murderer” Che Guevara with stamp
Reported at https://www.irishcentral.com

The new Irish Che Guevara postal stamp. The new Irish Che Guevara postal stamp.
Cuban American journalist asks why “a man who went to Cuba to kill and failed in everything he did” is honored

A Cuban-American radio host and Irish politicians have called on An Post, Ireland’s postal service, to explain their decision to launch a €1 stamp featuring a portrait of Che Guevara by Irish artist Jim Fitzpatrick.

Ninoska Perez Castellón, a prominent member of the Cuban exile community in Miami and radio host, told RTE’s "Morning Ireland" show, the stamp honoring Che Guevara would “celebrate a man who slaughtered so many people.”

"Would you be offended if Germany put Hitler on a stamp?"

An Post’s plan was announced on Friday to coincide with Monday’s 50th anniversary of Che Guevara’s execution (October 9).

Castellón, who works at Miami 710 Radio, said regardless of the fact that the stamp was an iconic image, created by an Irish artist, it represented “a man who went to Cuba to kill and failed in everything he did.”

She added that there are many families in south Florida whose fathers were killed by Che and said his world-famous profile was “propaganda myth created by communism.”

While speaking with the Irish radio station it was pointed out to Castellón that the Irish American President Andrew Jackson’s image had been used on the $20 bill in the USA despite his controversial history. She pointed out that Jackson, also of Irish descent, had not been a terrorist.

Castellón said, “I don’t know what people find to celebrate about Che Guevara.

“I’d love to see that stamp abolished. What reasons did they have to put Che Guevara on a stamp?

“What does Ireland think they are doing putting Che Guevara on a stamp?"”

Che Guevara was born in Argentina. His father was Ernesto Guevara Lynch, a civil engineer of Irish descent. Che’s ancestor Patrick Lynch was born in County Galway.

Guevara helped Fidel Castro overthrow the US-backed dictator Fulgencio Batista in Cuba. He has been labeled a mass murderer and killer by his critics both in Cuba and abroad. It is claimed that over 16,000 executions and 100,000 political imprisonments have taken place since Guevara and the Castro brothers took over Cuba in a bloody political coup in January 1959.

Guevara was eventually executed by the CIA-assisted Bolivian army on October 9, 1967.

A quote from Ernesto Guevara Lynch – “In my son’s veins flowed the blood of Irish rebels” – will feature on the cover envelope which will accompany the new Irish stamp.

While speaking to RTE Castellón pointed out that just three weeks ago Aer Lingus removed Jim Fitzpatrick’s painting, the same portrait of Che Guevara from Miami International airport following objections from travelers. The portrait had featured among an exhibition of figures of Irish descent in the airport.

Fine Gael Senator Neale Richmond also said the decision made by An Post to print the new stamp was “totally objectionable.”

Richmond wrote to Ireland’s Minister for Communications Denis Naughten asking for an explanation for this “terrible” decision and asked if Pol Pot, the communist Khmer Rouge leader in Cambodia, and Romania’s Nicolae Ceausescu, would also be acceptable subjects for special Irish stamps.

In his letter to Naughten, Richmond questioned, “What procedures were followed to decide to commission this stamp?”

“Although Che Guevara seems now to be classed as a romantic revolutionary figure and that some of his political ideals might be shared by some in this country, it is my belief that he is most definitely not a suitable candidate for such an honor.”

Conservative councilor Patrick Rochford wrote, “Absolutely disgraceful that An Post’s are having a Che Guevara stamp honoring a mass murderer.”

The artist behind the portrait of Che featured on the new Irish stamp, Jim Fitzpatrick, told RTE’s Six One news on Monday that he considered the Cuban revolutionary a martyr.

"He remains a hero to me," Dublin artist Fitzpatrick said.

"It's been 50 years, has been since I [created the image] and I haven't wavered in my extraordinary admiration for him and for what he tried to do. He did not succeed, but he tried."

When asked about the hundreds of people who died at Che’s command Fitzpatrick compared it to acts committed during the Irish Civil War.

“I'm a pacifist, I don't believe in the death penalty, but in civil war brutal things happened.

“We saw it in our own country with the executions by our Irish government of the Republicans.

"[Che Guevara] is a man who is disowned by not just Soviet Communism, disowned by his own country because he condemned Soviet imperialism as well as American imperialism .

"He could have sat happily as the governor of the central bank of Cuba and lived happily ever after. He gave it up to fight for the poor and dispossessed in the poorest part in Latin America where he had no support.

"To me he was a martyr who gave his life where he could have sat back happily ever after, living a life of luxury."
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
briggia
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Irish stamp honouring Che Guevara causes a stir

Post by briggia »

FDC are already sold out on the An Post website

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.
figmente
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by figmente »

“a man who went to Cuba to kill and failed in everything he did.”

He seems to have succeeded in killing in Cuba. :roll: :(
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

MargoZ wrote:
Castellón said, “I don’t know what people find to celebrate about Che Guevara.
Well the Cubans are pretty big on him! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been to Cuba a couple of times, and the photo below of the massive 10 storey building in a Havana main square I took, has the same Che image. No idea what the wording on it translates as. Someone here may?

(Update - looked it up and it is in La Plaza de la Revolución in Havana - the Ministry of Interior building, adorned with a huge steel sculpture of Che Guevara.)

Curious that Ireland is issuing it though, I do agree. :mrgreen:

Wonder if they can be offered on ebay etc? 8)

Despite what some CNN or Fox News Armchair Experts on Cuba likely think, 'The Castro Cult, is not promoted in Cuba, as 'leader Cults' are in many other places.

Like Chauvez was in Venezuela, or the current and past Lunatics in North Korea etc. When we visited Libya, Gaddaffi's face was on huge posters in Hotel lobbies, huge billboard signs everywhere, and on currency etc.

Not so in Cuba. Castro has not been on banknotes in recent decades - if ever.

A little known fact is that Che Guevara (who HAS been on notes for decades) was Governor of the Bank of Cuba for quite a while (no much for him 'not being a success' anywhere!) and his short simple formal signature "CHE" was on the early notes, as can be seen below. (The 20 Peso image is NOT a young Castro!)

We bought back a few Che signed older banknotes as a souvenir. :idea:

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Never knew Che had Irish ancestry, or that the creator of the famous image is Irish.

My first reaction to the story was, "Why would Ireland of all places be commemorating Che?", but the details tie it all together.

Critics of Mao suggest that he was responsible directly or indirectly for as many as 70 million deaths...yet his image is on all the PRC banknotes, and the queue in Beijing to visit his mausoleum is ridiculously long every day.
I think a more accurate analogy from the Cuban-American would be if Austria put Hitler on a stamp to mark an anniversary in his life. Or what if Georgia issued a stamp about Stalin. Ireland is simply marking the anniversary of the death of one of their diaspora. There's no text on the stamp to indicate any political opinions.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote:Ireland is simply marking the anniversary of the death of one of their diaspora. There's no text on the stamp to indicate any political opinions.
Agree.

Margo and I viewed a pretty cool Museum on the bank of the Liffey in Dublin a couple of months back.

Very well done and a good section of it highlighted the Irish diaspora. We saw Che in there, and all kinds of other world famous folks I had no idea had Irish Heritage. Some quite notorious, but still all Irish. :lol:

Well all know Australian Bush Ranger Ned Kelly has been featured on ozzie stamps, and of course an Irish stamp which shows the WANTED poster for MURDER in the design, and in full in the PO pack.

The Irish Mini sheet depicted Kelly shooting and killing Police.

No outrage in Ireland over that one. :idea:

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

Much ado about nothing, as one Sasanach once wrote. :mrgreen:

Irish Central is a US based operation and caters for it's nostalgic Yank audience. Over here in the Auld Sod, we are more interested in news such as the World Cup qualifiers and the Brexit pantomime.

The portrait of Che is probably the most worldwide recognised 20th century work by any artist and is by Irish artist Jim Fitzpatrick, best known here for his iconic mystical Celtic works.

Anyway, Che descended from the Lynch family of Galway............hopefully Fake-Prez Trump has no Irish ancestry. :roll:
Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

aethelwulf wrote:Never knew Che had Irish ancestry, or that the creator of the famous image is Irish.

My first reaction to the story was, "Why would Ireland of all places be commemorating Che?", but the details tie it all together.

Critics of Mao suggest that he was responsible directly or indirectly for as many as 70 million deaths...yet his image is on all the PRC banknotes, and the queue in Beijing to visit his mausoleum is ridiculously long every day.
I think a more accurate analogy from the Cuban-American would be if Austria put Hitler on a stamp to mark an anniversary in his life. Or what if Georgia issued a stamp about Stalin. Ireland is simply marking the anniversary of the death of one of their diaspora. There's no text on the stamp to indicate any political opinions.
Given Eire's fondness for Germany during WWI, it would not surprise me if they issued a Hitler stamp. They have set the trend with the Guevara stamp.
With kind regards, Jim
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Cill Dara wrote:
Anyway, Che descended from the Lynch family of Galway............hopefully Fake-Prez Trump has no Irish ancestry. :roll:
A little known fact is Dumpy's mother was an illiterate, uneducated penniless crofter from the Scottish Outer Hebrides. She was the youngest of 10 children and Gaelic was her first language. She arrived barefoot and near broke in the USA in 1930 via bizarrely, the "RMS Transylvania". You can't make this stuff up! And worked as a maid before meeting Dump Senior - and the rest is history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anne_MacLeod_Trump

Pretty ironic for Dumpy to be keen to block emigration to poor folks with no education. He would not be here, except for one of them. :idea:
FitzjamesHorse
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by FitzjamesHorse »

I don't think it really did cause a stir...except with those who like to be stirred and appear on radio-phone ins.

It was announced in January last that the stamp would be issued and it went thru the usual selection process. As far as I know, the Stamp Collecting community has a seat on the selection panel and I think I am right in saying, it would have required "government approval" and the current government is centre-right.

As observed above, work featuring Che was withdrawn from an exhibition at Miami Airport and I think that's totally understandable. There were also objections from American tourists at seeing Che on exhibition in County Clare.

And the organisers gave in again. I dont think that is understandable.

Certainly for several months, I have been preparing for the issue. I have been organising my own postcards based on a photograph I took of a mural in Derry City.

And certainly several friends including in USA have requested FDCs etc. I have sent about 20 Che stamps on mail to USA.

As Che qualifies as one of our own like John F Kennedy and Ned Kelly, I would have thought those of us who welcome the issue would have placed our tongues firmly in our cheeks and claimed that the issue was based on the diaspora.

But the publicity from An Post pulls no punches.

Che Guevara is described as a "revolutionary, physician, author and diplomat" who wrote "a seminal manual on guerrilla warfare". His ancestry is also mentioned.

Admittedly, I am slightly left of centre in the European tradition and have no absolutely problem with the stamp. Personally I think Che was a counter-culture icon.

I am not a "Bolshevik" but certainly a bit "bolshy".
Last edited by Global Administrator on 12 Oct 2017 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and "air" to UNJAM it all - always a great idea on all posts on Bulletin Boards!
Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

Machaggis52 wrote: Given Eire's fondness for Germany during WWI, it would not surprise me if they issued a Hitler stamp. They have set the trend with the Guevara stamp.
Wonderful idea, Hitler after all did have an Irish sister in law. :mrgreen:

For balance, we may even issue a stamp for a beloved Sasanach tourist named Oliver Cromwell. :wink:

PS - there's a fada in Éire, even in Scots Gaelic.
nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Cill Dara wrote: PS - there's a fada in Éire, even in Scots Gaelic.
...where we have Èire or Èirinn. :D
Nigel
gregbear61
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gregbear61 »

Global Administrator wrote:

A little known fact is that Che Guevara (who HAS been on notes for decades) was Governor of the Bank of Cuba for quite a while (no much for him 'not being a success' anywhere!) and his short simple formal signature "CHE" was on the early notes, as can be seen below. (The 20 Peso image is NOT a young Castro!)
An old yarn about how Che Guevara became Governor of the Bank of Cuba…

When Fidel was deciding on his appointments, he asked his revolutionary colleagues: “who here is an economist?”

Che responded that he was, to the surprise of the some of the group who were well aware his qualifications were in medicine. He was promptly appointed Bank Governor by Castro.

When they queried him afterwards as to why he said he was an economist when in fact he studied and qualified as a medical doctor, he responded: “I thought he said ‘who here is a communist’.”
Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

nigelc wrote:
Cill Dara wrote: PS - there's a fada in Éire, even in Scots Gaelic.
...where we have Èire or Èirinn. :D

Hmmm, found this explanation.

Gàidhlig used two diacritical marks 'till about 20 years ago, when they decided to cease with the Irish type 'stràc' (síneadh fada to us) and retain the 'stràc' that they use now.

So, I guess that the Scots have opted for the grave fada and discarded the acute fada.

Not many people know that, as someone once said. :)
Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

The initial print run of the controversial Che Guevara stamp, which provoked strong criticism on social media, has sold out.

An Post has described the demand as "unprecedented".

The €1 stamp, which was released to mark the 50th anniversary of the revolutionary's death, went on sale last week with a run of about 122,000 stamps.

"It is necessary to now print extra stock to cover our regular stamp customers and makeup of annual collector products, stamp yearbook, etc," an An Post spokesperson said.

"It is anticipated that some additional stock will then be available for general sale."

The stamp features the famous image of 'Che' by Dublin artist Jim Fitzpatrick, which appears on T-shirts, posters, badges and clothing worldwide and is now rated among the world’s top ten most iconic images.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1012/911853-che-guevara-stamp/

A quote from Guevara Senior features on a First Day Cover (FDC) envelope produced to accompany the stamp. It says "... in my son's veins flowed the blood of Irish rebels".

:mrgreen: 8) :)

There must be a lot of closet stamp collectors out there, or perhaps closet Che fans.
deltic1575
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Ireland's new Che Guevara stamp

Post by deltic1575 »

An Post has confirmed that all 122,000 stamps with the iconic image of Che Guevara have sold out and it will print new stock.

A block of 4 mint €1 stamps are already up to £18.66 on eBay
kevoh
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by kevoh »

Sounds like An Post plans to reprint them. Is it likely they will do a big run?
faro

Post by faro »

kevoh wrote:Sounds like An Post plans to reprint them. Is it likely they will do a big run?
Che Guevara sells out. Capitalist exploitation wins again? ;)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Cill Dara wrote:The initial print run of the controversial Che Guevara stamp, which provoked strong criticism on social media, has sold out.

An Post has described the demand as "unprecedented".
Margoz reports her stampboards facebook updates on this has about 3 times as many views as anything she had listed in past year!

Add a comment and 'LIKE' there please folks -

https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/
Luis78
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Luis78 »

Global Administrator wrote:the photo below of the massive 10 storey building in a Havana main square I took, has the same Che image. No idea what the wording on it translates as. Someone here may?
"Hasta la victoria siempre" - The motto of the Cuban revolution, means something like "Ever onward to victory".

I had the pleasure of visiting Cuba too, wonderful people. They are force-fed the myth of "El Comandante", a mass muderer who thought himself a hero. History is still deciding on that, it seems.
Worldwide "Bird" stamps collector - I collect with my father
Kiwidude
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Kiwidude »

Hi,

The day MargoZ posted this thread & while reading it.I thought I should check Ebay.

There was a Irish Seller with listing for Singles,Full Sheets, & Fdc's.

So I bought 3 & asked if he could use 2 on the Cover to New Zealand for me.Thinking
that their won't be many sent .

Reallising that I'd paid him to post & I was using my own stamps (Yes,I'm Irish too.lol).He said that he would sort it for me.
This is What I got. Address Covered.

Is the other Irish stamp from this year?

It has like 3 plastic slot type things on it.You can't really see it on it & interesting postmark.

I think I did well.

Peter
Anythings for sale, If the price is right. Send a board email.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

VERY cool .. and lovely clear 13-10-17 date as well.

A $25 cover already, use in correc period. :)
fchd
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by fchd »

Kiwidude wrote:
Is the other Irish stamp from this year?

Yes, it is from the current definitive selection, "A History of Ireland in 100 Objects", issued as self-adhesive coil stamps on 12/1/17

(see http://www.irishstamps.ie/Shop/p-1703-a-history-of-ireland-i ... our-1.aspx)
kevoh

Post by kevoh »

I picked up one of the sheets before they ran out

FitzjamesHorse

Post by FitzjamesHorse »

All of this probably means that the Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela stamps which are in the Ireland programme for 2018 will be popular.
I don't see how prices for Che stamps can be maintained but good luck to those who saw the potential.
deltic1575

Post by deltic1575 »

Have they been reprinted and if so is it possible to tell the reprints from the originals - they are still being sold on ebay at a premium.
Kiwidude

Post by Kiwidude »

Not sure if they got different markings for reprints.

But my cover looking better & better with a date. :mrgreen:

Peter
Anythings for sale, If the price is right. Send a board email.
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

I am informed that the reprint of the Che Guevara issue is due into An Post next week. The priority is to fulfill standing order customer requirements for mint and fdc's and then provide an allocation for An Post Year Packs and Books. Any remainder will then be put on general sale at a later date. The exact quantity of the reprint remains unknown.
madstampguy

Post by madstampguy »

Nothing available in the west of Ireland from the 'get go'.
I have a 'buddy' in the P.O. and they said no chance. Sold to the highest bidder, (Dublin, me thinks) :|
Michael Beharry

Post by Michael Beharry »

Should I wait for this in kiloware or order some now?

Just think, tons of other irish stamps sitting down begging to be sold and this red one is....red hot.
kevoh

Post by kevoh »

madstampguy wrote:Nothing available in the west of Ireland from the 'get go'.
I have a 'buddy' in the P.O. and they said no chance. Sold to the highest bidder, (Dublin, me thinks) :|
Yeah I saw it make the papers so picked up the sheet from the gpo, would have got a few more if I'd known they were going to sell out
Michael Beharry

Seeing some interesting prices for these so when someone listed 5 @US$10 each I picked up two. (The other 3 were quickly lapped up as well).

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Can someone reading this please email me a CLEAR photo of this FDC above ASAP? To use in my global stamp columns. All the ebay images as usual are cr*p quality, anpost's website is even worse, and all useless for gloss paper magazine use.

glen at glenstephens dot com

These official FDC are bid up to $US50 already in Ireland! -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRISH-2017-CHE-GUEVARA-FIRST-DAY-COVER-sold-out/192358097127

The highest price I have seen for a FDC with single stamp that has sold is $US110 -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Irish-2017-Che-Guevara-039-official ... 2298536943

Mint sheets of 16 are getting 10 times face -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHE-GUEVARA-IRELAND-STAMPS-FULL-SHEET-SOLD-OUT/192352438510
Michael Beharry

kevoh wrote:I picked up one of the sheets before they ran out

Nice! The full sheet costs an arm and leg now so I just settled for the top 4 complete with the margins.

48 hours ago I had no idea I'd be buying Irish stamps. :shock:
kevoh

Post by kevoh »

The stamps are back on sale at anpost. No sign of the official FDC being available again.

Be interesting to see how many they reprinted, maybe the official FDC will be in short supply even if the stamps become easy to get.
Michael Beharry

kevoh, anyway I can get a few of these on cover at closer to Post Office price rather than the crazy prices I'm seeing on ebay?
kevoh

Post by kevoh »

Yeah I'll see if I can pick up a few no prob. The Ebay market will presumably collapse now they're back available.
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Thank you for the heads up, I have placed my order!
Kevoh could I please request for 1 on a cover to me as well?
Collecting Mint China, Malaysia and mint Mini sheets! http://philatelyex.blogspot.in/
Michael Beharry

kevoh wrote:Yeah I'll see if I can pick up a few no prob. The Ebay market will presumably collapse now they're back available.
Thanks. I just ordered some mint stamps directly from An Post (sheets and FDC are all gone). Trying to get some copies genuinely postally used. 8)
FitzjamesHorse

Post by FitzjamesHorse »

I bought four stamps in Dublin today. Seemingly they went back on sale yesterday. The FDCs will not be available for about 10 days.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Mint sheets of 16 are getting 10 times face -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHE-GUEVARA-IRELAND-STAMPS-FULL-SHEET-SOLD-OUT/192352438510
The ebay bunnies paid 10 times too much. :) On sale now at FACE! -

https://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/c-242-50th-anniversary-of-the-death-of-che-guevara.aspx

If anyone sees the FDC come back in stock please let me know. :)
Michael Beharry

The ebay bunnies paid 10 times too much. :) On sale now at FACE! -
I was an ebay bunny for the FDC (which at US$10 wasn't too bad) because I cannot pm/email members here directly. You might be applying a control here, or discipline, but it also means having to conduct my purchases/trades elsewhere because of it. At least the tips on stampboards still remain useful but it means going out of stampboards - and members here - to do deals based on them.
Noggin the Nog

Post by Noggin the Nog »

The FDC is out of stock on the website, so I guess folks pay whatever they feel it's worth to them.

The stamps however are not. I've just bought a sheetlet of 16 at face value (thanks for the link Glen! :)) to stick away and maybe sell later or just pop in an album.

However here's just one example of some of the lunacy going on
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-IRELAND-CHE-GUEVARA-STAMP-FD ... SwfxJZ67S3
kevoh wrote:............ The Ebay market will presumably collapse now they're back available.
Not yet it would seem.

To buy the sheetlet from An Post costs €16 (£15.50 or A$25), so that means the bidder is effectively paying £35.50 (A$61 for the FDC). :roll:

So, in the current madness Michael Beharry, maybe US$10 was not too bad!

As another perhaps even crazier example, someone has just sold 3 of the sheetlets for £53 (A$91) each in the past 24 hours, when they were available from the An Post site.

It's hard to know what to say.
Michael Beharry

Noggin, I suspect those (unfortunate) ebay bids were placed by buyers who didn't know about the reissue and couldn't cancel their bids (I think one can until 24 hours before auction end).

I'm glad I waited....just ordered a sheet myself...16 Euro plus about 1.35 shipping.
Noggin the Nog

Post by Noggin the Nog »

Michael Beharry wrote:Noggin, I suspect those (unfortunate) ebay bids were placed by buyers who didn't know about the reissue and couldn't cancel their bids ...
Michael, I'm certain that will be the case in almost every instances.
However the three "Buy it now" purchases of the sheetlets at £53 could have been avoided with the briefest of internet searches.

It just goes to prove once again the importance of the kind of information available here.
Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Seemingly there is no change in shade, paper/gum type or perforation of the Che Guevara reprint.

FDC will be available shortly whatever that means.
Michael Beharry

I'm now getting ebay notifications that some sellers have reduced their prices by an astounding...5 Euro... :lol:

Sellers probably know there are new stocks in the PO but are hoping prospective customers don't know that.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Noggin the Nog wrote:
I've just bought a sheetlet of 16 at face value (thanks for the link Glen! :)) to stick away and maybe sell later or just pop in an album.
The wonders of stampboards. :)

A member here kindly sent me a cellphone camera pic of a FDC but if anyone has one via a sharp SCAN please email me ASAP - for stamp magazine use, a scan is the Gold Standard. :mrgreen:

glen at glenstephens dot com

So far, this is the best image I have -
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

An Post did announce 12 Oct that they would be printing more, so I guess many just don't check.

After all the first run was a quite measly 122,000 stamps (7,625 sheets) only.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
fchd

Post by fchd »

So a reprint of the stamps, fair enough.

But to produce "First Day Covers", for stamps printed weeks after the day of issue, that just beggars belief. If a First Day Cover isn't produced for the First Day, what's the point?
http://www.fchd.info/stamps2000/index.htm - Stamps issued during the year 2000, worldwide!

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”