Coronavirus impacting international mail services

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Coronavirus impacting international mail services

Post by RogerE »

Some ironic posts shared with us here, thanks Stampboarders :D

Truth is ofter stranger than fiction...

/RogerE ;)

norvic

Post by norvic »

From Royal Mail:

Significant delays to deliveries in China
We're experiencing significant delays to items being processed and delivered in China. Whilst items destined for China are leaving the UK on time, flight cancellations and the redirection of all incoming export items via Shanghai means there are considerable delays to items being processed and delivered. This has created a backlog with China Post, which will take some time to clear. We're monitoring the situation closely, and will provide updates as we get them. Please be aware that items destined for China are taking considerably longer to be delivered than usual.

Items are leaving the UK for all other overseas destinations on time, but we're experiencing delays to a number of EU countries as a result of both new customs processes and ongoing Covid-19 measures. We are working with our airline and postal/courier partners to maintain services across the globe, however delays should be expected as a result of Covid-19 measures. The number of countries we can access is changing daily.

AND

31 March 2021
Bermuda Post has informed us that staff at Bermuda’s Office of Exchange have been asked to self-quarantine until advised by their local health authority to return to work. This will have a direct impact on postal operations as Bermuda Post is not able to collect, transport, process and deliver international mail. Force Majeure is declared, with significant delays to be expected until further notice.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

RevRed+
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by RevRed+ »

From An Post website.

International Posting
When posting internationally, your item will be first sorted in one of our national mail centres. It will then be sent either by air or road to the postal service of the country you have sent the item to.

If you have purchased a tracked service, you can track the item first by using the An Post Track and Trace tool, but once it has left Ireland you should then track it on the tracking service of the destination country.

Key things to note when sending Internationally:
Widespread Covid-related restrictions and local lockdowns across the world continue to impact the distribution and delivery of international parcels and letters.

The number of international flights continues to be severely impacted by the Covid crisis, with only limited space available for international letters and parcels. As a result, there may be delays in updates to tracking on your item from International Postal Carriers.

If your item has left Ireland but cannot be tracked using your International Postal Carrier yet, this means the item is still in transit on its way to the destination country and hasn't been scanned through their Arrivals Hub as of yet.

You will know your item has been handed over to an International Carrier if your tracking shows that the item has left An Post. The International Postal Carrier is the Postal Service of the country to which the item has been shipped to.
Red.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks RevRed+ for sharing with us the information from An Post.

I am very impressed with how clear and user-friendly that An Post information is.
We get so used to offical "announcements" being full of officialese and corporate-speak
and euphemisms and acronyms and clichés that it is an unexpected pleasant surprise to
have "straight talk" from a business source.

Applause for An Post.

/RogerE :D

Derbyboi2
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I don't know whether it is Coronavirus, Status or Australia Post but one of my purchases has just been delivered in San Antonio Texas USA, to whom I know not, rather than London England! No explanations yet........It took 3 days from Australia and I thought it strange when the tracking told me it was 'out for delivery' lol

David Benson
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by David Benson »

It looks like Status has informed you a wrong tracking number on your parcel. Ask them for the correct tracking number.

David Benson

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Thanks David
I had already mailed them but haven't heard back from them. Sophie is usually very good.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

They will not be open until Tuesday, Sydney time,

David B.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

David

Thanks for the info - I shan't bother them until after Tuesday. What worried me is 1. The cover was offered for sale again after I had bought it and 2. It had a NWPI 3rd watermark Die 2 3d misdescribed as a Die 1 (together with other adhesives), sent to a contemporary Australian collector of NWPI who appeared in an article I had published in the BSAP some years ago, so I particularly don't want it to get lost!

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

They would have posted both of the items at the same time and presumably the other one had your tracking details.

Yours should arrive early next week,

David B.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Thanks again David. To be honest I have never had a problem with Status in over 20 years and I am sure it will arrive in good order.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

At the current time mail from Australia to the US is usually only taking between 10-15 days but some may take longer if sent by sea instead of air but mail to UK is taking between 20-30 days.

David B.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Hi David

By serendipity arrived this morning from Australia. You were right about the tracking number.

Gillies front.jpg

On scanning 3d is 3rd watermark 5th setting Die 2, 5d is 4th setting with 'dot in W' and the 2s is in a very pale shade.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

David

By serendipity arrived from Staus this morning. Must have been a wrong tracking number as you said.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Is it Coronavirus or USPS?

I put in an order for a PALO album on the 18th May 2021. It is being sent by USPS Priority International mail at significant cost. PALO are situate at Elk Village, the largest industrial park in the US. It is but a very short drive (under 2 miles) from there to O'Hare Airport where the USPS International division is situated.

USPS do, of course, provide tracking information. The order was shipped on the 18th May. To date I have had 5 emails indicating that my package had arrrived at USPS, the first telling me that the package had travelled the 2 miles to O'Hare in 4 days. It has spent the last 2 days being scanned in and out of the same place. I know delays are inevitable but this stretches the imagination.

Similarly I received a letter from Australia this morning that had been posted on the 2nd April.

To put this in some form of context I had a lot sent from an auction house in Milan last Thursday that was picked up at 3.15pm and arrived at my home in London at 10am the following morning (by DHL), so speedy, hassle free delivery is possible. The cost of the DHL delivery was significantly less than the USPS charge.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 27 May 2021 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I might add that (without my legal hat on) over the last 30 odd years I have been a director of several International Logistics Companies and know how the logistics industry works from A-Z.

Had the British Govenment allowed Parcelforce/Royal Mail to expand internationally in the 1990's as Chronopost (part of La Poste) and Deutschepost did, the UK would have had a world-beating International service whereas we have to play second fiddle to Carriers who are owned by our International competitors.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 27 May 2021 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

If you have stuff coming into or leaving the US, the Chicago ISC is the Dead Zone. I've had a parcel there since May 2nd.

Spoke to someone in Customs today, and they couldn't tell me where it is, but that people have been calling about things there since February/March.

So they are way behind in processing mail out of what is essentially a giant warehouse.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Erich

Amazingly I have had an email this morning saying the package has now left O'Hare airport and is on its way to its destination. I don't know whether to trust this or not given their previous emails!

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Erich

Between writing the previous post about 5 minutes ago I have received another email from USPS saying that my package has arrived at Heathrow Airport in London at 6.53 am this morning! I suppose I have to trust that it has arrived in the UK.

erich

Post by erich »

Glad to hear your package moved along. Perhaps there is a karmic balance of mail entering and leaving the US and I will get my item soon.

polisciguy2011
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by polisciguy2011 »

erich wrote:
27 May 2021 14:00
If you have stuff coming into or leaving the US, the Chicago ISC is the Dead Zone. I've had a parcel there since May 2nd.

Spoke to someone in Customs today, and they couldn't tell me where it is, but that people have been calling about things there since February/March.

So they are way behind in processing mail out of what is essentially a giant warehouse.
The New York ISC was about this bad last year, and it hasn't improved to anywhere near pre-COVID levels yet. Average time for me when I've ordered internationally has been on the order of 15-18 days, down from 30 at the height of the restrictions last year. Still, hearing how bad the Chicago ISC is, I'll count myself lucky!
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

Crowsnestidaho
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Mpstamps mailed my stamp lot from Düsseldorf Germany somewhere around the 20th of May I received it June 2 close to 10 to 12 days. Keep in mind the USA had our Memorial Day holiday last weekend which slowed mail some. Not bad I’d say when I had a package take 6 months from Denmark at the beginning of the pandemic.

Thanks Manuel. Adds greatly to my DDR collection.

2D20D187-732C-484F-A564-1A65083B6921.jpeg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Crowsnestidaho wrote:
03 Jun 2021 06:29
Mpstamps mailed my stamp lot from Düsseldorf Germany somewhere around the 20th of May. I received it June 2 close to 10 to 12 days. ...
Thanks Manuel. Adds greatly to my DDR collection...
Wow, Crowsnestidaho, that's a fine looking batch of covers! And a much better time-in-transit report than your experience with mail from Denmark at the beginning of the pandemic. (I had similar experience with mail from Denmark to Australia at that time.) We wish you happy hours of follow-up fun integrating the German covers into your collection. :D

Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

RogerE wrote:
03 Jun 2021 11:38
Crowsnestidaho wrote:
03 Jun 2021 06:29
Mpstamps mailed my stamp lot from Düsseldorf Germany somewhere around the 20th of May. I received it June 2 close to 10 to 12 days. ...
Thanks Manuel. Adds greatly to my DDR collection...
Wow, Crowsnestidaho, that's a fine looking batch of covers! And a much better time-in-transit report than your experience with mail from Denmark at the beginning of the pandemic. (I had similar experience with mail from Denmark to Australia at that time.) We wish you happy hours of follow-up fun integrating the German covers into your collection. :D

They are the beginning of my cover collection. I have just a few others from Iceland and Greenland. When I was a wee lad I soaked hundreds of Scandinavian stamp off the envelopes :oops: We all have :oops: ‘s in our learning curve I suppose :lol: :lol:

Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Waffle »

In some ways, I can relate to that. I get a lot of mail from O/S. I do not collect Covers , except for F.D.C.s or post cards and simply cut the stamps off and soak them off. I can already hear the cries of horror from the purists but I am ONLY a stamp collector and make no apologies. I have something like 4000 Australian, U.K. and world stamps waiting for a good soaking. The term lazy springs to mind.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

I have always enjoyed the soak and dry process. I am not very good at pressing them. Not really sure of to do. :idea:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Buy a Drying Book. :!: :!: :!:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Berlin-Gus
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by Berlin-Gus »

The difficulties that Australia Post experienced early in the pandemic seem to have been overcome. Received letter from Quakers Hill NSW posted May 25, 2021, here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada on June 4. Excellent service in my opinion.
Gus

for Canadian postal history check out the PHSC website, http://www.postalhistorycanada.net

Crowsnestidaho

Post by Crowsnestidaho »

Global Administrator wrote:
04 Jun 2021 15:49
Buy a Drying Book. :!: :!: :!:
I have had them, but find wax paper and blue mechanics towels work better, with wire drying racks on both sides to keep them flat,it keeps them flat and nice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Here's a note about eBay shipping times.

Undoubtedly Covid-19 has caused systemic delays in mail services worldwide, and that is reflected in eBay's predicted delivery times.

• I have just received from the UK an item which I purchased on 8 Aug. The predicted delivery date given by eBay is
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 11.41.09 pm.png
In practice it took about a month, though the eBay estimate is for anything between two weeks and sixteen weeks! That's certainly playing it safe ;) By the way, predicting delivery on a Sunday (22 Aug) is imaginative (or should I say "imaginary"?)

• The second point worth making is that the eBay window for giving feedback on items received is apparently still 60 days, in spite of the estimated delivery time for overseas purchases often exceeding that timeframe. I have received two items recently that took just over 60 days to reach me, and I am frustrated that eBay will not allow me to leave feedback on those items or "hide" the orders. I use feedback primarily to confirm safe arrival of items purchased, and I use the "hide" facility on orders that I've finished processing and integrated into my collection.

Now eBay displays orders from the "last 60 days", and you have to exercise the "all 2021" option to search the chronological list of all your purchases, whether marked HIDDEN or not. That search is often necessary when items arrive beyond the 60 day window, and I want to keep track of what I've received and what has not yet arrived. The eBay "60 day" policy does not assist this record keeping.

• By the way, it seems the only way to locate a purchase is to scroll through your whole reverse-chronological list of purchases until you come to the one you're looking for. As far as I'm aware, there is no search facility for this.

You would think that eBay would be interested in supporting its customers better than it does (and as well as it used to!).

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

RogerE

Not to mention that your ability to claim your money back via Paypal for non-receipt of item expires after 45 days.

:evil:
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

BigSaint wrote:
13 Sep 2021 01:56
RogerE

Not to mention that your ability to claim your money back via Paypal for non-receipt of item expires after 45 days.

:evil:
No, its six month if directly via paypal.
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

scrute
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by scrute »

Another very slow delivery from a major country. This cover took exactly 60 days to get from the USA to W.Aust. The backstamp is dated DLC 14/09/2021. So 6 days to cross the Nullarbor. 54 days to cross the Pacific.

The envelope is made of plastic so the cancellations are a bit smudged. It made the package light, though. Just 38g for 5 covers, a stiffener, a description page and the envelope. I thought most international mail came through SWLF.

US delayed delivery
US delayed delivery
US delayed delivery back
US delayed delivery back
enlargement of backstamp
enlargement of backstamp
Last edited by Global Administrator on 21 Sep 2021 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "AddSpace" button used before images, as all members should click for every image. And added "air" and paragraphs and spacing to rest of post

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

I received an eBay item from NSW sent via Australia Post on the 9th September, received in London today. 11 days including 2 weekends is good work. Ordinary Air Mail not express.

polisciguy2011

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 02:44
I received an eBay item from NSW sent via Australia Post on the 9th September, received in London today. 11 days including 2 weekends is good work. Ordinary Air Mail not express.
This tracks with my experience recently, mostly with parcels. Takes about 11-15 days from NSW or Victoria to here in Rhode Island, USA. And a lot of that time, per the tracking info, was waiting to clear our customs sorting office in New York.
--Zach

Collecting Interests: Benelux, Germany, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Australia, Newfoundland

AdmiralCollector
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by AdmiralCollector »

polisciguy2011 wrote:
22 Sep 2021 13:06

This tracks with my experience recently, mostly with parcels. Takes about 11-15 days from NSW or Victoria to here in Rhode Island, USA. And a lot of that time, per the tracking info, was waiting to clear our customs sorting office in New York.
You are lucky.

Glen mailed me some stamps on August 23.

Yesterday September 21 the package was processed through the Strathfield MC in Sydney -- which is, I think, a parcel sorting facility. A whole month to go across town.

So maybe by Christmas . . . (I know Glen has no control over what happens once he mailed something. Must be frustrating.)

I had a similar experience last Spring when it took 6 weeks to get something from New Zealand.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 25 Sep 2021 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

polisciguy2011

Post by polisciguy2011 »

AdmiralCollector wrote:
23 Sep 2021 05:27
polisciguy2011 wrote:
22 Sep 2021 13:06

You are lucky.
Glen mailed me some stamps on August 23.
Yesterday September 21 the package was processed through the Strathfield MC in Sydney -- which is, I think, a parcel sorting facility. A whole month to go across town. So maybe by Christmas . . . (I know Glen has no control over what happens once he mailed something. Must be frustrating.)
I had a similar experience last Spring when it too 6 weeks to get something from New Zealand.
I have been lucky! The only time during COVID when I have had a really long wait was towards the beginning when I had ordered a Sassone catalogue from Italy days before they went into their first true nationwide lockdown. That one I didn't see until early September of 2020. Otherwise, the only delays have been when things have ended up in the Chicago ISC, which is slow under the best of circumstances, but has been positively glacial during COVID.
--Zach

scrute

Post by scrute »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 02:44
A bit slower going the opposite direction. This eBay purchase from the West Midlands took 23 days to get to me in Western Australia. Only the last 48 hours were in Australia.

Uk letter
Uk letter

norvic

Post by norvic »

An FP label is unusual - it should be A for Airmail. And it is for the basic minimum rate for 20g, which must be pushing the boundaries for a board-backed envelope.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

scrute

Post by scrute »

Board backed envelope, thin plastic sleeve, one fairly lightweight FDC. No paper insert, no chatty letter asking for feedback. Total was 18g.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

Just checked, mail from Australia to India has been suspended.

Does anyone know when this was implemented,

David B.

lakatoi lover
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by lakatoi lover »

David Benson wrote:
25 Sep 2021 12:25

David B.
According to the Australia Post website 23rd September.

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

I posted a letter on 22nd. September and have two more to post,

David B.

lakatoi lover

Post by lakatoi lover »

David,

There is no mention of when service is likely to resume.

Service was stopped due to “limited flight capacity and availability”.

Cheers

Bill

David Benson

Post by David Benson »

I also noticed that Indonesia and Malaysia have also been suspended. Is it Australia or the other countries that are causing the suspensions,

David B.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

lakatoi lover wrote:
25 Sep 2021 12:42
David Benson wrote:
25 Sep 2021 12:25

David B.
According to the Australia Post website 23rd September.
I don't have dates available, but some Maldives covers I bought from a reliable vendor in India on 1 July 2021 could not be sent to me directly at that time because of suspension of service from India to Australia. I was able to solve the problem by having them mailed from India to a friend of mine in New Zealand, who subsequently repackaged them, added some goodies of his own, and sent them to my Australian address. Everything arrived safely in Wallsend NSW 2287 on 18 Aug 2021. :D

The airmail service from India to Australia is still suspended.

norvic

Post by norvic »

https://www.eseller365.com/australia-post-hiring-workers-holiday-season-2021/
Australia Post Hiring More Workers for Holiday Season While USPS and Royal Mail Warn of Ongoing Problems Sending Parcels to Australia

Australia Post Continues to Struggle with Managing Parcel Volume

But will this be enough to avoid long delayed packages and huge backlogs with a record Christmas season coming? International postal services don’t seem to think so.

This latest hiring spree comes on the heels of Australia Post to temporarily having to pause parcel collection from domestic online retailers for three days in September to allow its network to clear its backlog of parcels.

In addition, the United States Postal Service (USPS) continues to not accept many parcel shipments destined for Australia due to logistics backlogs caused from Covid restrictions and safety measures.

Last week, Royal mail reported more issues with Australis Post, “Australian Post has updated that positive cases of COVID have been detected at their Melbourne Office of Exchange, so it is to be closed for deep cleaning over next few days.”

In addition, Royal Mailed warned shippers, “The region has also been affected by the recent Earthquake, so structural checks will need to take place at the OE. As result, operation for all inbound mail due for Melbourne during this period will be affected, while other offices of exchange in Brisbane and Sydney continue to process mail items at this time, subject to previously announced COVID restrictions.”

Unlike USPS, Royal Mail appears to be still accepting parcels for Australia, But the situation just confirms that Australia Post is struggling to manage domestic volume and international shipments will likely be severely delayed, even if accepted by the origins postal service.

Unfortunately, the COVID pandemic has put Australia Post in a difficult situation. While the postal operator is trying to improve its network and hire more people, Australian shoppers continue to experience delivery days.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

An eBayer in the US just told mail deliveries to Australia via the US were suspended 3 weeks ago, when I queried what eBay were doing to his postage costs. It was $6.73 for one cover, $20.25 for two covers & $31.75 for three. Bizarre :!:

I had been wondering why I hadn't been receiving mail from the US & also why my mail from the UK was coming via the Perth Mail Centre rather than the Sydney West Letter Facility.

GB FDC 1970 - St.KIlda Horse Racing used 1.jpg
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Just received an album of pre-stamp entires from the UK. It took two weeks exactly from the day it was purchased to delivery here in Sydney today.

I have numerous other purchases from the UK arriving at various times in the next two weeks, I expect similar delivery times unless the current fuel issues there delay the sendings.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Mail FROM Australia to USA - Canada - Europe is taking about a MONTH right now from tracking my last 20 or 30 sendings.

A disaster.

Parcels to Melbourne are routinely taking 2 or 3 weeks. This one to MEL has not even left Sydney in over 2 weeks -

https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/#/details/63217429776099

And these gouging b*stards had the hide to INCREASE rates this month. Service has NEVER been slower - they should REDUCE rates 10% as a mea culpa for this mess. :roll:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”