Discuss the 2008+ Irish "Stamps On A Roll" SOAR's issues

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Erinmania
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Discuss the 2008+ Irish "Stamps On A Roll" SOAR's issues

Post by Erinmania »

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

This may also be of interest and as far as I know is the current price list.

https://www.anpost.com/AnPost/media/PDFs/Mail%20Media/Bulk-M ... tomers.pdf

RevRed+
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by RevRed+ »

I've just come across this SOAR among my collection, which I am trying to tie to the POs that issued them.
However, it is not possible with this SOAR as the PO code does not appear on the stamp, due to a big misalignment of the printing.
Misplaced print on  a €1 SOAR printed on the 7th January 2020
Misplaced print on a €1 SOAR printed on the 7th January 2020

Red.

Murglebop
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Murglebop »

Hi Revred,

I can see that would be annoying when looked at from a PO perspective. But on the other hand it’s a shoe in for the misprints and misalignments collection. I must say that having added well over 4000 SOARs into my collection, this is the worst example of misalignment I have seen.

I’m just waiting for my next shipment of SOARs from Ireland, which seem to be getting more expensive. Maybe it’s brexit or the exchange rates or both.

At least I still get a trickle through our internal work post, even if they are all from the POs at Swords, Liffey Valley or Clonakilty

David

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Hi Revred,

This is a few that I came across.
Attachments
20210107_160605.jpg
20210107_160533.jpg
20210107_160503.jpg
20210107_160430.jpg
20210107_160349.jpg

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Fascinating! That's quite a collection of misfits hap59. How did you manage to amass so many?
Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Murglebop wrote:
07 Jan 2021 07:23
Hi Revred,

I can see that would be annoying when looked at from a PO perspective. But on the other hand it’s a shoe in for the misprints and misalignments collection. I must say that having added well over 4000 SOARs into my collection, this is the worst example of misalignment I have seen.

I’m just waiting for my next shipment of SOARs from Ireland, which seem to be getting more expensive. Maybe it’s brexit or the exchange rates or both.

At least I still get a trickle through our internal work post, even if they are all from the POs at Swords, Liffey Valley or Clonakilty

David
You are quite right Murglebop - always look on the bright side. Knowing how temperamental printers can be, it's perhaps surprising it doesn't happen more often. :!:

The SOARs are possibly getting dearer as they are being bought all round the world! It's all your fault!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Red.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Been kinda lucky. The 5 used are from Kiloware. Then I found a PO self service kiosk that was not printing perfectly and spent a few Euro to get what I got. The single blank was given to me by a kind PO clerk. But the blank strip of 8, I bought from galeriaatm.com. Check them out, they have some fine SOARs.

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Perhaps the scarcest of soar ?
Scan0021 ecom Express (1).jpg
Nothing much is known about this issue which appeared during April 2018. Note that it is worded eCOMM Express.
It may have been a trial in connection with An Post's next day parcel/letter delivery service which was initially to be available from 5 country wide post offices. It seems it was not deemed a success and was rapidly replaced by printed self-adhesive labels.

I have not seen any mint examples and only two used. If anyone has other examples or knows more, then please share.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Hi Erinmania.

That's very interesting! Never heard anything about that. Thanks for the notification, although from the sound of it, I'm very unlikely to come across one. :cry:
Red.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Erinmania wrote:
09 Jan 2021 01:14

Nothing much is known about this issue which appeared during April 2018. Note that it is worded eCOMM Express.
It may have been a trial in connection with An Post's next day parcel/letter delivery service which was initially to be available from 5 country wide post offices. It seems it was not deemed a success and was rapidly replaced by printed self-adhesive labels.

I have not seen any mint examples and only two used. If anyone has other examples or knows more, then please share.
Wonderful Erinmania! I've not come across one of these yet. In the "hens teeth" category, I would think?

Murglebop

Post by Murglebop »

Another needle in the haystack for kiloware sorters 😂
Many thanks for posting.

David

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Murglebop wrote:
21 Dec 2020 20:56
RevRed+ wrote:
16 Dec 2020 03:41
Thanks Erinmania!

I'm still somewhat unclear as to the purpose of the machines. Who would they have been printing stamps for? A philatelic customer, ordering online?
Hi all,

It seems the machines at the philatelic counter were not evenly used, from the database of my SOAR collection (now 4300 examples detailed):

Machine 01 (starting 025001) seems to have been installed in 2013 and has averaged around 1000 SOAR per day up to my last example which is from way back in March 2016. I have only 2 examples from this machine.

Machine 02 (starting 025002) seems to have been installed in 2013 (I have sequence 02500200022929 from 22nd January 2014) and has averaged around 1000 SOAR per day up to my last example datecoded 19291.

Machine 03 (starting 025003) may also have been installed in 2013, but my first example is mid-2015 by which time the machine had issued 470000 SOARs. Since then it seems to have averaged around 2000 SOAR per day, double the rate of the other machines. Interestingly I have copies of these with equal numbers of Dublin Mails Centre and Athlone Mails Centre postmarks, lending credence to the bulk issue for businesses theory.
Maybe that is why 37 of my 47 SOARs form office 0250 are from machine 03!

Note: None of the stamps I have from 0250 have any of the Standard, Registered or Express Post texts.

Hope this helps,

David
Hi David

According to "Irish Philately" the first recorded use of the Philatelic Bureau machine 025002 is 20th December 2013. Dated 13354.

Machine 025001 is first recorded 22nd January 2014 dated 14022.

I can't find a first day of use for the 0250003 machine.

It would appear that the 025002 machine came into use prior to the 025001 machine. Do you agree ?

Murglebop

Post by Murglebop »

Hi Erin,

Your info tallies with my speculation based on serial numbers, I guess the only way we will know is if we find official anpost info, or if we as collectors can identify very early serial numbers.

Open question to all: Does anyone have SOARs from office 0250 with very low serial numbers....what’s your lowest/earliest for each counter?

David

John1952
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by John1952 »

Murglebop wrote:
10 Jan 2021 21:17
Hi Erin,

Your info tallies with my speculation based on serial numbers, I guess the only way we will know is if we find official anpost info, or if we as collectors can identify very early serial numbers.

Open question to all: Does anyone have SOARs from office 0250 with very low serial numbers....what’s your lowest/earliest for each counter?

David
The 0250 SOAR is a total mystery to me. I had (until I read this thread some months ago) always assumed it was a Philatelic Counter or "HQ" code printed upstairs in the Philatelic "office". I tend to ignore it when it turns up in kloware.

If there are machines on the ground floor of the GPO, I have never seen them.

Anyway, I am unable (or too lazy) to put scans up here so I have written a post on my blog (link is in my profile) and there are 33 "0250s" scanned and the serial numbers are mostly clear.

You might also see something interesting in respect of the County Mayo offices I visited in September.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Just spotted the printing error on recently bought SOARs.
Error.jpg

The top one - No. 165 seems almost okay, other than value shifted up slightly to Éire.
No. 166 has the date, but the other details are just about gone.
No. 167 has all the information, but shifted upwards dramatically - "Éire" is overprinted.
No. 168 is blank!
No. 169 appears to be back to normal.

It would be interesting to use the blank one on a cover! It could be any value. I wonder do the records of issue in the P.O. record exactly what was issued?
Red.

John1952

Post by John1952 »

I have always assumed that every transaction on a terminal is recorded in some central way.

I have had a few blanks turn up in kiloware so they have certainly been posted. I guess it would pass thru sorting without further check if it was on an ordinary €1 letter. More problematic if it was attached to a large parcel. An Post would have to accept that it was properly purchased and the error is entirely theirs.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

John1952 wrote:
15 Jan 2021 10:28
I have always assumed that every transaction on a terminal is recorded in some central way.

I have had a few blanks turn up in kiloware so they have certainly been posted. I guess it would pass thru sorting without further check if it was on an ordinary €1 letter. More problematic if it was attached to a large parcel. An Post would have to accept that it was properly purchased and the error is entirely theirs.
I agree john1952. I attach a sample collected from kiloware where I presume that the An Post clerk who issued the SOAR, recognised the print error and manually inserted the €1 postage rate that was paid onto the stamp.
Attachments
20210115_013606.jpg

John1952

Post by John1952 »

An Post is always a bit coy in giving info about SOAR. It is often a matter of snippets of information gleaned from this thread and from friendly postal clerks.

The 2021 stamp programme makes no mention of SOAR and oddly the "Collector" bulletin (usually published quarterly) does not illustrate the proposed March issues.

There are no scheduled issues in July and August and I suspect that's when 2021 SOAR will be issued.

I think An Post could maybe do a short lecture at "Stampa" to give collectors some insight into SOAR....

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

It often pays to visit the An Post website and here you will find Ireland's stamp programme for 2021.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Stamp-Collecting/Stamp-Programme

A quick perusal will show that one possibly two issues are scheduled for July 2021. The programme also indicates that there will be a new definitive series issued in late 2021 or early 2022. There will therefore be no changes to the current SOARs until then.

It should also be noted that due to COVID19 all stamp issues will be in self-adhesive format and these will only be issued from 1A plates. There will be no 1B plates.

The exception to the rule is the miniature sheet to be issued on 21st January 2021 commemorating the Centenary of the birth of Patrick Scott, HRHA ( Irish artist) which will be pva gummed.

John1952

Post by John1952 »

Oops I should have paid more attention.

Murglebop

Post by Murglebop »

I was surprised to come across a very low series number on a Irish Daill SOAR in kiloware today

Date code: 19220 which I think is 8th August 2019
Long code: 23430100058943

GROF: 2343 which is the Post office in the Centra at Kilworth/Cill Uird, Co Cork
Counter: 01
Series: 58943

This office wasn't listed at 2017, and an article I found identified the first day of operation as 27 May 2019. Apparently the village had been left without any post office services since 2011.

A little bit of internet research identified that streetview has a very good picture of the AnPost office
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1742768,-8.242863,3a,66.4y,3 ... 384!8i8192

For me, this is another ticked off the previously unknown list.

David

Elkra
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!

Post by Elkra »

John1952 wrote:
16 Jan 2021 01:04
An Post is always a bit coy in giving info about SOAR. It is often a matter of snippets of information gleaned from this thread and from friendly postal clerks....................................
The Collector Magazine is a decent guide to all new issues for a particular year/period and does cover SOARS.

https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Stamp-Collecting/Collector-Magazine

Downloads atm only appear to be working for pre-2020 issue.

This is not surprising with all the extra services they have taken on during the pandemic (Free delivery of newspapers to those in remote areas / elderly, collection of mail from residents in remote areas / elderly, Free delivery of school lunches etc., etc., etc. I think it quite understandable that the Philatelic Section has suffered (7/10 days for deliveries as opposed to the "normal" next day).

An example from the 2010 Special Edition of The Collector;

Collector 20010-03 SOARS 1 (658 x 900).jpg

Collector 20010-03 SOARS 2 (900 x 777).jpg

Collector 20010-03 SOARS 3 (900 x 495).jpg

I'm not too sure what other information could be supplied.

I have PDF copies of issues relating to SOAR issues going back to 2010. If anyone wants them just site mail me.

Stay Safe.
John
John
Interests: Ireland - Luxembourg - Christmas/Rugby/Racehorses on Stamps.

John1952

Post by John1952 »

Kilworth is one of the post offices, I still have to find.

I had found it via Store Locator a few months ago and I had also seen the newspaper article that you reference. I wonder if the grof number is the same.

Turning to the SOAR series themselves. The current series 100 Objects from Irish History. (A Selection). The key might well be "selection" but I had always assumed all 100 from O'Tooles book .

Naturally we are impressed by some and unimpressed by others (that's a personal choice) but certainly the 100 included such objects as James Connollys bloodstained shirt, the Good Friday Agreement, a handkerchief from Bloody Sunday.

Wearing my other hat as a military historian, I was looking forward to the Dillon Regimental flag from mid 18th century.

My point is not about the relative merits of any object, if a new definitive set is due at the end of this year or next year, we wont see some interesting stuff.

I dont know if An Post has had much faith in the current SOARs. The inclusion of "popular commems" seem to underscore this.

But as always, there is a lack of transparency.

Murglebop

Post by Murglebop »

Hi John, the example I have post dates the new office in the Centra store. So the grof above is the one currently in use, not sure about the old one as it didn’t exist on my 2017 list.

Hope you’re not getting too stir crazy in the lockdown.
David

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Erinmania wrote:
14 Apr 2020 03:20

The series was still being sold over post office counters in 2016.
And in 2017
20210202_091249.jpg
Still revisiting this thread, fantastic information. Thanks all!

John1952

Post by John1952 »

I was iin County Sligo and County Mayo in September. Got some animal marine SOARs in a post office there.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

I am trying to get to grips with all this information on SOARs. I have read and re-read this thread a number of times and need to ask the following.

1. Can someone say how many different types of paper were used in SOARS and if possible, show pics or describe how to examine them for the differences. My eyes just fail me totally on this.

2. Am I correct in saying that there are 3 types of Print:- Country Type 1/Indented print, Country Type 2/Straight Print and Country Type 3/Green Print?

3. Is there a difference perforation size, Top or Side, between Kiss Die Cut 1 and 2 ?

My apologies for going backward in this thread, I just need to get my head around it all.

Thanks in advance!

Rein
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rein »

2. Am I correct in saying that there are 3 types of Print:- Country Type 1/Indented print, Country Type 2/Straight Print and Country Type 3/Green Print?
The first two are in black, the last one is multicoloured
2025881.jpg
Brian Warren wasn't accurate enough ;)

Rein

Post by Rein »

3. Is there a difference perforation size, Top or Side, between Kiss Die Cut 1 and 2 ?
Theoretically YES, but whether it makes sense to even try to measure it?

The same goes for the self-adhesives from booklets or coils. Describing the corners is the only thing that makes sense in my opinion.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Many thanks Rein. I have it on the Country Types but find the corners hard to ID hence the question on perfs. Thanks again!

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Rein wrote:
07 Feb 2021 02:58
The first two are in black, the last one is multicoloured

Brian Warren wasn't accurate enough ;)

Is it possible that a 4th Print Type exists. The Christmas 2015 issues are Type 3 multicoloured but the print itself is much larger than on any other issue. Also the accent over the E is more elevated? Although the multicoloured print is normaI, I can't see this style of font on any other SOAR. See pics
20210209_084802.jpg

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Rein wrote:
20 Apr 2020 18:46
The 5th series with 3-coloured image and greenish text was issued around mid april 2015!

So far no track of the varnish we saw in the Christmas SOAR's before.

Earliest date on September 30, 2015.

Rein now wants to call these multicoloured ? All I will say is when I sort through kiloware I can pick out items in which Eire and the sheet number appear dark green.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Erinmania wrote:
10 Feb 2021 07:41
Rein wrote:
20 Apr 2020 18:46
The 5th series with 3-coloured image and greenish text was issued around mid april 2015!

So far no track of the varnish we saw in the Christmas SOAR's before.

Earliest date on September 30, 2015.

Rein now wants to call these multicoloured ? All I will say is when I sort through kiloware I can pick out items in which Eire and the sheet number appear dark green.
I agree with you Erinmania, I would have classed the colours as Black or Green. Have a look at these 2 pics and you might see Reins logic. With his specialist knowledge on printing, he is showing an insight into the stamp printing that most collectors have not seen before, including me. Pic 1, which appears "Green" is taken under 10x magnification and Pic 2, where you can see the "multicoloured" aspect, is taken under microscope.
Attachments
20210210_082333.jpg
2021-02-09 21.03.44-1.jpg

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Yes, maybe. But are collectors going to rush out and buy microscopes to see such minor points? I reckon not, nor is there a need to IMHO. But, as ever, each to their own. :(
Red.

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

RevRed+ wrote:
11 Feb 2021 11:26

Yes, maybe. But are collectors going to rush out and buy microscopes to see such minor points? I reckon not, nor is there a need to IMHO. But, as ever, each to their own. :(
The dark green colour of font can be seen quite clearly with the naked eye and such items are quite collectable in my opinion.

Every collector can decide for themselves how specialised they want their collections to be .

Rein

Post by Rein »

RevRed+ wrote:
11 Feb 2021 11:26

Red,

A magnifying glass will do - 10x :)

Rein

John1952

Post by John1952 »

I have always been obsessive about varieties in definitives...Gerls, Treasures,Flowers, Birds, phosphor paper, chalk "ordinary" perforations.
Obsessiion took all the joy out of collecting.
I gave up from 2001 to 2012.
I have about 10,000 SOAR from several hundred post offices...collected in 11 albums arranged by county.
So statistically it is likely that I have varieties in terms of colour and printing. But not something I would really seek out.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

John1952 wrote:
12 Feb 2021 11:09
I have always been obsessive about varieties in definitives...Gerls, Treasures,Flowers, Birds, phosphor paper, chalk "ordinary" perforations.
Obsessiion took all the joy out of collecting.
I gave up from 2001 to 2012.
I have about 10,000 SOAR from several hundred post offices...collected in 11 albums arranged by county.
So statistically it is likely that I have varieties in terms of colour and printing. But not something I would really seek out.

I have never really studied how others organized their stamp collection but, just from reading this forum, I have found myself looking in directions that I would not have considered before. My SOAR collection was basically sets MNH and Used. I never considered paper types, print colours, print varieties, Post Offices, letter postage rates, years of issue or other avenues . There was a time when I thought that Irish Stamp collecting had reached its end when SOARs were introduced, and now I find that I spent most of my stamp time reading and browsing over the wonderful SOAR information put up on this thread.

Take for example, the Irish Animal & Marine Life issues in 2014 ( Phase 5).
My collection holds:-

1. 2014 Set with Straight print at letter postage rate of 68c
2. 2014 Set with Indented print at letter postage rate of 68c
3. 2015 Set with Black print at letter postage rate of 68c
4. 2015 Set with Green print at letter postage rate of 68c
5. 2015 Set with Black print at letter postage rate of 70c
6. 2015 Set with Green print at letter postage rate of 70c
7. 2016 Set with Green print at letter postage rate of 70c
8. 2017 Set with Green print at letter postage rate of 1.00c
9. 2018 Set with Green print at letter postage rate of 1.00c
10. 2018 Set with Black print at letter postage rate of 1.65c

SO far 10 sets of the same issue!

In addition to these counter issues, I also have a Standard, Registered, Express Post collection.

Before reading this thread, I had ONE set of A & Marine Life Phase 5 with mixed colours, values and years but now it has become a mountain. I have to admit, I also purchased a 5 dioptre magnifier and a small microscope, and will hastily add that they are not needed for what I want to collect. My 30 year old Harold M Pitman & Co "Paragon" 10x magnifier beats them both hands down.

As John1952, Erinmania and RevRed have very correctly highlighted, you choose your own level or quite soon every issue of stamps can become a collection on its own? When I look at my stamps, I feel like I have lost the plot a little bit somewhere along the road. "Obsession took all the joy out of collecting" (John1952). Now there's a big statement that has started me thinking?

Any other collectors like to describe the direction of their interests in SOARs?

John1952

Post by John1952 »

We all start off enthusiastic but when we start to specialise, obsession takes away the fun.
The other day, I was reminded what my late father said when I went to university "you are learning more and more about less and less"
So starting to specialise in Ireland as an 18 year old in 1970 was to go down that slippery slope and that all came to a head in 2001 with too many Irish issues and too many "varieties".
Of course when I did return in 2012, I bought up all the issues mint and used 2001-to date, including the varities.
So I am as obsessive as ever I was. The wants list of older overprints remains almost unchanged because buying new issues mint and posting them used means that I have to run to stay where I am.

It is harder now for a new collector to be obsessive about Ireland.
In 1970, there were just 48 years to collect. And a very conservative policy. But in 2021, there are 99 years of often too many issues.
So while obsession drives me insane, the newly discovered "fun" element of world kiloware keeps me sane.
Torn between obsession and fun...I am surprisingly well balanced.
If I harboured any thought that my collection of Iteland would be complete by 65 (missed that target) or 70 (hardly) or 75 (maybe) then I am kinda content that no collection should ever really be complete.
Besides I can make a case that overprints are not actually "Irish" in the fullest sense of the word.

Which brings me (at last!) to SOAR. They were already issued when I returned to collecting and at first I hated them and it took at least three years to appreciate them.
They are easy to obtain in bulk and the variety from 1cent to €55.00 (the highest I have) is fun. But for me collecting and conservation are closely connected.
And therefore those 4digit numbers are at the heart of it. At this moment in time, there are 54 post offices that are listed on the current store locator that I dont have. Of the five "border counties" three are complete with just one post office in Cavan and three in Donegal to find (two are offshore).
There are 16 in Cork.
The point about collecting is that it should be at the same time challenging but achieveable.
It is very likely that there will be fewer post offices next year.
I have travelled around (for free! On my senior pass) and photographing these post offices is as much part of the experience as the labels themselves.
Like it or not, stamp collectors are in the conservation business.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Erinmania wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/AnPost/posts/sending-more-than-five ... 625948750/
Attachments
20210407_170307.jpg

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Hi hap59.. To avoid the ugly white border and the word "ATTACHMENTS" at the top, you need to use the "Place Inline" button to insert an image. :)

Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770
Red.

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

hap59 wrote:
08 Apr 2021 03:04
Erinmania wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/AnPost/posts/sending-more-than-five ... 625948750/
Great find Hap. 3048 is Raheny Post Office and you also extend the known date range, I do not do Social Media but I assume this item is in your collection.?

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Correct, in my collection.

But your earlier post enlightened me to its existence and luckily came across it in Kiloware recently. Not in as nice a condition as yours. It was obviously on a parcel and inherited a couple of bends/folds. But it will do for starters!

Keep the info coming, its really invaluable to the individual collector. Many thanks!

Rein

Post by Rein »

We all start off enthusiastic but when we start to specialise, obsession takes away the fun.
WHY?

There is ONE thing you should never forget - once you specialize you should forget about completeness! A speciailzed collection can't be COMPLETE by shear definition. It is OPEN and can be added to any moment you feel like it and have access to more material!

I started this thread as a good medicine against Corona, and in the first weeks I could gather a lot of material. Later on, the newer issues weren't available to me and with the restrictions now I shouldn't even think about visiting Eire ;)

Eire is not my only collecting field, I am into KGVI especially Malaya now and I have found several solutions for riddles the Malaya collector were placed for for ages:) And just as a catch-by a 1/2d green Leeward Islands on so-called substitute paper that is not mentioned in Murray Payne.

Forget about completeness! Follow your nose and enjoy what you are doing!

hap59

Post by hap59 »

RevRed+ wrote:
08 Apr 2021 08:30

Hi hap59.. To avoid the ugly white border and the word "ATTACHMENTS" at the top, you need to use the "Place Inline" button to insert an image. :)

Test and post your images direct onto June 2020 NEW Stampboards

https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770
Many thanks! I was not aware of that. I'm a little short on the IT knowledge.

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

A new SOAR typeface has been seen from Post Office Counters at St.Andrew Street Dublin and at Cappagh P.O.
2021 Andrew St SOAR new typeface.jpg

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Lovely clear print. Would that mean that a new printer is being used or is it just a font change? Thanks for the info. I am quite keen on print alterations. Do you know if the same 100 Objects Phase 4 SOARs have been added to the ATM self service kiosks too?

Erinmania

Post by Erinmania »

Hi Hap,
Guess what?. None of the kiosks seem to be functioning properly. Andrew Street has 2020 issue whilst GPO has 2019 issue.
I am informed that there are two printers involved with the new typeface at the counters. One to print receipts and the other for the stamps. This results in a slower service but presumably results in less stamp slippages and "dispensing varieties".
As you will no doubt be aware a new SOAR series is due at the end of the year or early 2022 and presumably this new system will be rolled out nationwide for that issue. But you never can be 100% certain that will happen.

hap59

Post by hap59 »

Thanks again Erinmania. Information is hard to come by. Please keep posting.

I can feel a trip coming on as soon as lockdown relaxes. Must check my local PO tomorrow. With regard the new Definitive series... my guess would be 17th Feb 2022. (1st overprints 100th Anniv).

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”