"Why Millennials have fallen in love with Stamp Collecting"

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GrahamR
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

"Why Millennials have fallen in love with Stamp Collecting"

Post by GrahamR »

Some of you may be interested in this article in today's Guardian newspaper (online version at least):

"Post modern: why millennials have fallen in love with stamp collecting"

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/apr/11/post-modern-why-millennials-have-fallen-in-love-with-stamp-collecting

Apparently it's all to do with Instagram. Not something I've ever dabbled with, but all publicity is good publicity.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Stamps in the news...paper - article in The Guardian

Post by norvic »

It's not all to do with Instagram, though that may be where Millenials hang out. Facebook is as useful, and Twitter is also full of stamp people, dealers and collectors.

Suzanne is very good at promoting the hobby.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

suz_anne
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by suz_anne »

Great to see that this article is getting out and about (thanks goes to Isobel at the PTS for lining this one up). I spoke with the journalist for over half an hour about a variety of trends we are seeing in philately, particularly with younger audiences and the growth of so called 'social philately'.

It's a light-touch article and the journalist obviously picked up on the bits she thought would work best. As you say, all publicity is good publicity. I'll type up the other points I made soon and get that out on an Art Stamped or PTS blog for anyone who is interested.

Keen to keep the discussion going on this one but for now, I do hope the article inspires a few folk to start collecting, whatever their age or Instagram status.

Suzanne

PTS London Chairman and @artstamped on Instagram ;-)

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by vicaf60 »

The text of the article (not to be lost in the depths of the Internet :wink: )

Post modern: why millennials have fallen in love with stamp collecting

Philately is gaining popularity with younger hobbyists, who are drawn to its vintage - and Instagram - appeal

Nicole Mowbray

Sat 11 Apr 2020 14.25 BST

It was once a byword for boring, but it seems stamp collecting is finding a new – young – audience, despite the fact that some hobbyists have never actually posted a letter.

Philately is gaining popularity among millennials, many of whom see the creative pursuit as an escape from their screen-based lives, says 37-year-old Suzanne Rae, from North Yorkshire.

“Philately is tangible: it’s relaxing and unplugged. It’s also very Instagrammable,” says Rae, who is only the second female chairman the Philatelic Traders Society has had in its 91-year history. “Twitter and Instagram enable young collectors to find people like them, and see that it’s not only a geeky old man’s pursuit.”

Rae gave up her job as a management consultant two years ago to make her hobby her businessby starting an online stamp shop, Art Stamped. “We were one of the first stamp businesses using social media,” she says..”

Nicholas Challinor-Halford, business manager at stamp auctioneer Harmers of London, believes that part of the millennial boom is the result of romantic notions of pre-digital life. “For Generation Y… [stamp] collecting is escapism with a nostalgic slant, giving collectors a physical link with the past.”

Sadie Medhurst, a 31-year-old fan, agrees: “Stamp collecting is presumed to be a solitary endeavour reserved for the older members of society, but this could not be further from the truth. Each stamp tells a story: I often like to think of the many hands they have passed through.”

Rae’s love of stamp collecting was instilled in her as a child, thanks to her grandparents.

“I grew up in Edinburgh where there was – and is – a stamp shop just around the corner,” Rae says. “I started off buying British stamps with my pocket money. As I travelled for work, I built up a Ghanian Gold Coast collection. More recently, though, I just collect what I like – stamps that tell stories or are graphically appealing.”

Stamp collecting is presumed a solitary endeavour for older people – this could not be further from the truth
This feeling is echoed by 29-year-old Constanze Dennis, a senior auctioneer at Grosvenor Philatelic Auctions in London, who says stamp collecting ties together many elements she loves. “I have a scientific background, so the analytical side really appeals,” she says. “My personal philatelic interest is crash mail, envelopes salvaged from plane crashes. Definitely morbid but equally fascinating.”

One of the highlights of the stamp collectors’ calendar is the Stampex show, held at the Business Design Centre in Islington, north London every autumn. “There are lots of younger people there,” says Rae. “It’s not fuddy duddy; it’s engaging. You can … spend a lot of money but it’s a hobby you can enjoy inexpensively too.”

“From the outside looking in, stamp collecting makes no sense,” says 34-year-old collector James Leigh, who also works at stamp dealer John Curtin Ltd. “Why are people spending sometimes vast amounts of money on little bits of paper that look almost identical? [But] I find them utterly fascinating and I don’t care who knows it.”

“Stamp collecting is so much more than a hobby,” says Medhurst. “It’s a lifestyle, a community.” And, perhaps, the perfect salve for these constrained times.

pickwickian
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Millenials turning to stamp collecting

Post by pickwickian »

Well, here we are, some young folk are discovering stamp collecting even if (as the article says) they have never posted a letter.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/apr/11/post-modern-why-millennials-have-fallen-in-love-with-stamp-collecting?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Oh, and stay safe everyone, this virus has a long way to go even if some graphs are beginning to flatten. It’s not over till a vaccine says it is.

Eli

Re: Millenials turning to stamp collecting

Post by Eli »

Hi Pickwickian,

Same article is mentioned here:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90202

Edit: I just see the two threads were merged.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

This article is a fabrication. "Philately is gaining popularity among millennials". What is the evidence?

It is nothing more than a vox-pop of 4 people (repeat, only 4) aged between 29 and 37 (the latter hardly a millennial). Nothing more than that.

As someone once said, "I read it in the newspaper so it must be true". :roll: :roll:

towradji
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by towradji »

A bit harsh, MJ.

Surely with 3 of the 4 people quoted being members of the stamp trade, the premise must be true.

Exaggeration, self serving “facts”, no, that would never be uttered by the stamp trade.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

MJ's pet wrote:This article is a fabrication. "Philately is gaining popularity among millennials". What is the evidence?

It is nothing more than a vox-pop of 4 people (repeat, only 4) aged between 29 and 37 (the latter hardly a millennial). Nothing more than that.

Well you have several verified examples you have been given in the article - where is your evidence it is not catching on more widely? How can it be a "fabrication" when real people in the Millennial age bracket (age 37 certainly qualifies) are being interviewed? :shock: :shock:

You offer us ZERO evidence to support your loopy and constantly negative views - as totally usual from you. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have many younger clients. Many more than 10 years ago, I'd suggest. As do all dealers. They just enjoy the hobby. A lot more women especially. Topicals very strong.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Waffle
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: "Why Millennials have fallen in love with stamp collecti

Post by Waffle »

Goodness, I wish it were so. The Caloundra Stamp Club with membership's average age, on the north side of 75, would dearly love to attract a few millenials or even 40-50 year olds. if only to drop our average age.

The idea of handing on the torch, especially if we could have someone to sell our, MY PRECIOUS, to is very appealing. In spite of the hope expressed in the title of this thread, I, and others like me, are not holding our breath.

Boy, but it would be nice, to be smothered by an avalanche of young, enthusiastic collectors at our meetings. If you know of any, please send them along.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Waffle wrote:The Caloundra Stamp Club with membership's average age, on the north side of 75

Sadly this is not unusual. Globally. Most traditional clubs are stagnant and dying off.

This thread is talking about Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter - which as Ian Billings points out above, are full of stamp people, dealers and collectors. And often younger people.

A 30 year old will not necessarily feel comfortable walking in among ten x 75 year olds wearing brown cardigans, comprising an old mates club for decades, cheerfully discussing their prostate health and old age issues. These clubs are often VERY cliquey, and have zero idea how to promote themselves in 2020, or make themselves vaguely relevant to younger people.

COVID has stopped any club meetings globally, but internet philately is exploding BECAUSE of that. Check how may extra new members stampboards has had sign up in the past month. My mail order business cannot cope - my 100 hour weeks are not even touching the sides of demand, and am not alone in that among dealers.

The younger collectors are very happy and comfy online, on boards like this, or in Facebook groups etc, and buying and selling online happily. The hobby is changing fast. Some are keeping up, and some are left behind.

Margo just updated our Facebook page below (near 3000 Likes - add yours if you have not yet!) just a few hours back, and her new topic has already had many likes and comments as you can see - this is how the stamp world is evolving in 2020 - ignore that reality at your Peril in Caloundra - or elsewhere. :idea:

https://www.facebook.com/stampboards
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I doubt they'll be anyone at your actual meetings for a while Waffle. Maybe digitally?

BUT...

Maybe some dealer or ebayer with items in stock might start offering "the new stamp collectors isolation starters pack" and see how that goes? :shock: :wink:

As this goes on, there will be many looking for something different to do, something "new" to distract them from the "done that already" boredom, and flicking through tangible "old stuff" at home might be just the ticket.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

There are 100s of young collectors.... what James Gavin of the Rhodesian Study Circle calls "Modernists"... for every traditional collector.

10 April 2020 American Philetelic Society, (APS), Stamp Chat

"The Future of Philately is Here"

(Click here to view)

Many of these may be very casual collectors. I define "collector" as someone who markets stamps all the time to the general public. A collector is someone who SAVES stamps that catch their eye or appeal to them without necessarily taking the next step to study them or organize them.

These hoards clog my search results when I am using Google to identify a stamp. I get matches off of Pinterest and Etsy, and Many other popular sites.

They may rely on colnect.com and Stampworlds rather than printed catalogs. If they connect with other collectors it is far more likely to be on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

They look at the very poor and ineffective presence of traditional collectors online and laugh. They run from our meetings once they see a bunch of old men sitting around to complain about their health. The avoid stamp shows and bourses because they are turned off by all the elitist dealers and exhibitors denigrating their collecting interests, knowledge, or skill levels.

They bid you up in on-line sales and live internet bidding at real auctions. They rip you off on eBay, while we laugh at even the most honest of them because of their lack of knowledge.

They turn their smartphone and tablet browsers elsewhere when the few online vestiges of traditionalists fail to fully support their platforms.

They watch Graham Beck on his video series "Exploring Stamps" rather than attend society meetings where rich white guys brag about the great and expensive additions they made to their very specialized and esoteric collections.

The Rhodesian Study Circle went from the brink of death to more than 400 members just by addressing a few of the points above. Scott English, executive director of the APS, is trying to do the same. More than half of the program presenters since the launch of these online stamp chats have been well under 50.

I contest that these youngsters have always been present. I have been one of the very few with a thick enough skin to have put up with all the old-timer BS for the past 55 years.... only now am I getting up there to match the "good old boy" demographic.

There are more and more of these youngsters every year and there have never been more collectors than there are today. It is so obvious!

Watch the VIDEO Posted above!
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

RobRoyH wrote:There are 100s of young collectors.... what James Gavin of the Rhodesian Study Circle calls "Modernists"... for every traditional collector.

10 April 2020 American Philetelic Society, (APS), Stamp Chat

"The Future of Philately is Here"

(Click here to view)
[/centre]

The Rhodesian Study Circle went from the brink of death to more than 400 members just by addressing a few of the points above.

Scott English, executive director of the APS, is trying to do the same. More than half of the program presenters since the launch of these online stamp chats have been well under 50.

Watch the VIDEO Posted above!

VERY good advice - and two younger and savvy Australians are on there too, proving the point of this thread. Folks who understand how the hobby has evolved, and is evolving, and how to keep it relevant.

400 members now for his niche stamp club, that once also was withering on the vine, until they modernised, and embraced a savvy website, and started a Facebook page etc. ALL members of stagnating traditional clubs MUST click onto and listen to this video. :lol:

Glen

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Shame someone had to introduce negativity into this positive thread. Great story and nice to see there are people trying to promote the hobby.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Here is another example covered in this month's Stamps in the News

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90200

Rekindling love in the lockdown
Reported at http://www.cntraveller.in

Samir Wadekar’s stamp collection was his window to the world before he ever stepped out of home. Today, while he cannot travel, his collection helps him relive all the places he has visited.

Samir Wadekar is a 30-year-old Mumbai-based interior stylist and decorator.

During the lockdown in India he is rediscovering his love of stamp collecting.

“I vividly remember receiving my first stamp. I was at school when we had a show-and-tell. I brought along my coin collection. A few classmates brought their stamp collections. I traded a coin from Singapore for an old postage of India and I was hooked.”

“The saying—a picture is worth a thousand words—applies to postage stamps,” he says. “A tiny stamp exposed me to a nation’s political and colonial history, its art and culture, architecture and topography, indigenous flora and fauna, the name of the country in the indigenous language as well as the name of the local currency.” For a little boy, it was a window to the outside world.

He spent his free hours trading to get his hands on all the stamps he could find and buying as many as he could on his travels. Friends and family who knew about his hobby also contributed.

Now, his most prized stamps are from countries that no longer exist. “Anything from the former Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, the German Reich, Siam, Burma, Gold Coast, Singapore Malaya, Portuguese India. One of his proudest pieces is from King George V’s reign as the Emperor of India.

The lockdown has given him the opportunity to get reacquainted with a hobby that was so dear to him as a young boy. “I only discovered the extent of my collection during the quarantine. As I turned back the pages, I was flooded with memories. “

“As a child, I didn’t fully grasp the story the stamps told,” he says. A lot of his collection tells the tale of the tide turning on the colonial empires around the mid-20th Century, something lost on a younger Wadekar.

While the hobby has always been a solitary pursuit for Wadekar, in these times of isolation, he is finding joy in sharing his collection with a similarly-minded community online. “What started out as an activity to keep my mind off the pandemic has taken on a whole new meaning.”

Caption: Samir Wadekar rediscovers collecting during Indian lockdown
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:
Waffle wrote:The Caloundra Stamp Club with membership's average age, on the north side of 75

Sadly this is not unusual. Globally. Most traditional clubs are stagnant and dying off.

This thread is talking about Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter - which as Ian Billings points out above, are full of stamp people, dealers and collectors. And often younger people.

A 30 year old will not necessarily feel comfortable walking in among ten 75 year olds, comprising an old mates club for decades, cheerfully discussing their prostate health and old age issues. These clubs are often VERY cliquey, and have zero idea how to promote themselves in 2020, or make themselves vaguely relevant to younger people.

How true - about 50 years ago I was in that position when I went to the Bath Stamp Club. Not encouraging at all.

I don't know whether I was a member of the Medway club before I went to Bath but I certainly was when I moved back to Kent. They met upstairs in the Rochester Bull and then in the bar afterwards. Even as a 30-year old I was welcomed, and encouraged. But times haven't changed much - we must welcome and encourage new members (of all ages) to our clubs.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

norvic

Post by norvic »

Philexx wrote:Shame someone had to introduce negativity into this positive thread. Great story and nice to see there are people trying to promote the hobby.

The usual suspect, sadly.

fromdownunder
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fromdownunder »

norvic wrote:How true - about 50 years ago I was in that position when I went to the Bath Stamp Club. Not encouraging at all.

I joined the Geelong Philatelic Society when I was about 15 back in 1964. I found nothing but encouragement, and indeed on one of my very early meetings, we had an Auction and a very senior members actually dropped out of the bidding when he saw who he was bidding against. (OK, it was not exactly a super lot). I was allowed to join the circuit sheets on my first night, and put stuff up for sale on my second.

Members were all very helpful and encouraging towards the younger members. There were only about three of us, but we were all treated as real collectors and encouraged to bring along and show off our "baby" collections.

I really never found any snobbery against youth at all. I find it rather sad that some senior collectors in some clubs seemed to think that they owned the hobby.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

DJCMH

Re: "Why Millennials have fallen in love with Stamp Collecti

Post by DJCMH »

Anecdotally I can say from my experience with Colnect that there is quite a large minority of users of the stamp section who are under 50. They may not be part of "organized" philately but they are definitely out there enjoying the hobby, engaging with it on their own terms and in the manner they are most comfortable with - via internet.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

Parisboy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Parisboy »

MJ's pet wrote:This article is a fabrication. "Philately is gaining popularity among millennials". What is the evidence?

As someone once said, "I read it in the newspaper so it must be true". :roll: :roll:

Utter nonsense.

I wrote on here back in November how many women were actively buying at the Paris Autumn stamp show and they weren't grannies either! I didn't mention it at the time but the average age is definitely dropping year on year with many younger collectors in evidence. The frequently reported death of the hobby is rather premature methinks.

Chris.

steevh

Post by steevh »

I sell quite a lot on eBay and, based on what people are buying, there are quite a lot of younger collectors out there. Also, a pretty high percentage of buyers are female.

The demographic at my local stamp club is quite the opposite. Only a handful of folks not past retirement age, and women are rare enough that the society chairman has to look around the room first each evening before he addresses the assembled as "ladies and gentlemen", "lady and gentlemen" or simply, "gentlemen."

capetriangle
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by capetriangle »

All concerned

I saw the video last night and I quite liked it.

I was surprised, however, that Scott English did not appear on camera, only his voice was heard. I was impressed by the two Australians interviewed there.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Following on from Richard's comments, one of the Australians (a member here) participating in that APS click chat runs the website & social media 'The Punk Philatelist'.

For anyone who wants to see the face of modern stamp collecting - check out:

https://punkphilatelist.com/

Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Wikipedia uses this definition - "Millennials are also known as Generation Y (or simply Gen Y). Researchers and popular media use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years, with 1981 to 1996 a widely accepted defining range for the Generation Y. "

The subject of the recent widely reported "Guardian" newspaper article in post #1 here is Suzanne Ray, 37, who for over a year has been Chairman of he Philatelic Traders Society London (PTS). They are now 91 years old, and run the vastly successful STAMPEX mega shows in the UK twice a year etc. The black and white shield PTS member logo below is synonymous with philately.

I've been a member of the PTS London for probably more years than Suzanne has been alive, and the Chairmen were always men, and pretty elderly men at that. Nothing wrong with that at all - it was just how things were always done in the stamp business, in those decades!

Proud member of the Philatelic Traders Society, (PTS) London.

Anyway at age 37, Suzanne certainly fits the strict definition of the "Millennial" above, she once worked for Deutsche Bank, and a global oil company etc, and does not come from a lifetime stamp dealing background, as many do.

As a PTS member myself, it is refreshing to see the changes and new ideas that can occur, when someone outside the usual profile of PTS Chairman hits the scene. A lot of new social media presence, and a Five Year Plan etc.

This below, is part of interviews Suzanne Ray has given -

“I collected stamps as a child, spending my spare pocket money at Robert Murray’s Stamp Shop in Edinburgh. Like many at that time, and encouraged by my parents, I would buy small bags of GB stamps, in the hope of filling some new spaces in my childhood stamp album.

I loved learning about the world, and about myself as I discovered a hobby which I found competitive yet slow, never-ending yet manageable, adventurous yet calming. As a teenager with a growing number of duplicates, I started making little arts and crafts using old postage stamps, and later in life, I picked it all up again.

Fast forward 20 years. I was working long hours for an international oil company, and travelling to and from Africa most weeks. When I got home, I needed to switch off from the stresses of work.

I remembered my stamp collection, and the feeling I got sorting stamps and exploring their stories. I bought some African stamps and made a stamp art map of Africa from them, as a statement piece for my living room.

I fell in love with stamps all over again. Soon I was shopping for more, making stamp art for friends and selling the excess stamps I didn’t need, to pay for frames and more supplies. My Granny passed away and left me a small amount of money to 'follow my dreams'. I couldn't think of anything that brought me more joy than working with stamps, and getting them on show and into people's lives.

Art Stamped was born, and in the last four years, it has been a stamp whirlwind of fairs, STAMPEX, social media, philatelic society dinners, stamp art, quitting my day job, selling stamps, working with other stamp enthusiasts, and generally promoting the hobby I love.

Today, I find myself working full time at Art Stamped and in my spare time, I am Chairman of the Philatelic Traders' Society - a society for respected stamp dealers from around the world. I am also a proud member of the Royal Philatelic Society London.

The PTS membership includes some of the most respected and influential stamp dealers in the world. By working alongside other influential and passionate philatelic organisations on the right initiatives, we can have a real impact on the future of the hobby. We have a role to champion the hobby and do what we can to support it. Talking is good, action is better.”

Suzanne Rae, Chairman of the Philatelic Traders Society, London.

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

I really have a hard time believing that.

Off course there will be millennials collecting stamps, but I personally don't know any millennial that is collecting stamps in my family or friends. And I do know quite a few. In fact I am the only one that is collecting from everyone I know in real life.

On Colnect, most people that I exchange with are well over 50, however in some countries, especially in Spain I think there are quite a good number of younger people that seems to collect stamps.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Lots of under 40s entering collecting - take a look at our member's website here -

Added a long piece on all this Millennial stuff here -

https://www.glenstephens.com/snmay20.html

Glen

Hyderabadi
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Hyderabadi »

aerogi wrote:
Off course there will be millennials collecting stamps, but I personally don't know any millennial that is collecting stamps in my family or friends. And I do know quite a few. In fact I am the only one that is collecting from everyone I know in real life.

While that holds true for most of us and most millennials don’t even know what a stamp is, india and may be China could be exceptions (even here it’s not like everyone is crazily collecting stamps :D )

I very recently have become a part of a Whatsapp group that shares and discusses stamps - around 150 people of who half are at least below 50.

Some trades and sales happening too - all without Ebay or traditional methods of exchange n sale.

It’s not on the internet anymore - if you have a smart phone you can trade your extras, showcase your collection or buy what you need.

RomeoLima

Post by RomeoLima »

I too fall within the category of a "dictionary" definition of a millennial however do not ascribe to many of the traits often attributed to the age group, possible as I'm right at the oldest end of the bracket, born 1981.

That being said I'm back involved in the hobby in a big way having put it down more than once in my lifetime.

I haven't quite got the instagram thing, but agree that the thought of traditional stamp clubs doesn't appeal, mediums such as this are much more user friendly.

Andrew

jivie798
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by jivie798 »

RomeoLima wrote:I haven't quite got the instagram thing, but agree that the thought of traditional stamp clubs doesn't appeal, mediums such as this are much more user friendly.

Exactly the reason, bb forums are NOT user friendly anymore (in relative comparison). Try Instagram or Facebook, how easy it is to upload a picture. Interaction is easier and instant, with a bigger audience with potential for monetization.

Used stamps are less used nowadays, corporate machines accounting for almost 90% of postage. We used to get official letters with stamps maybe 10 years ago, I doubt there are any now.

I know stampboard has a Facebook page, but I've got to say there isn't much in the page. It is plain boring. While the forum is flush with information, the Facebook page is dry.

On the bright side, in the light of the recent article I like to share a Youtube page,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkeSM6aOWfaUPIGb5rPOGyA

There is target audience and content. Something we millennial like.
Recently rekindled with an old hobby after a midlife crisis.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

jivie798 - looks like we have found a new Volunteer to assist with our very regular and informative Facebook page updates, that many enjoy, other than you it appears.

I am sure you never will volunteer to help, but hey many have vague ideas out there, in all kinds of areas - not many actually assist to fulfill them. :idea:

Admin

RomeoLima

Post by RomeoLima »

jivie798 wrote:Exactly the reason, bb forums are NOT user friendly anymore (in relative comparison). Try Instagram or Facebook, how easy it is to upload a picture. Interaction is easier and instant, with a bigger audience with potential for monetization.

The problem with Instagram and to a similar extent Facebook is it's all about the instant gratification, I put a picture up and I count the likes...

What I want from being part of a community like this is that I can post a picture of my stamp and get the benefit of the experience of this community. For example I've had assistance here plating some of my early GB line engraved issues, something I would never have tried to tackle on my own, or if I did would have failed miserably.

That breadth is just not available on other mediums.

As has been pointed out traditional clubs are struggling, and this is the same for other clubs I'm involved in, youth groups and sports clubs.

In the past people dedicated huge amounts of time to particular fields or pursuits, however now people are happy to dip in and out, the instagram effect, get a few pictures for a few likes and then move on.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Well, I guess that counts me in. Born in 1992. But my high school students already think I'm ancient, and one of them insisted that 2000s music was "old school". :lol: So, perhaps it depends who you ask!

Speaking of old school, I remember the day I started out in this hobby. My grandparents (bless them!) gifted me a stamp album when I was barely ten years old. Have no idea if they thought I would last, surrounded by stamps, but here we are and still I lick so therefore I am. And just yesterday I was going through my desk drawers, trying to find that darn magnifying glass so I could plate a Penny Black. Which isn't even my philatelic niche, but hey ho.

Well, by the age of ten, pretty soon family and friends discovered that I had begun to collect stamps, so they saved their mail and passed the stamps on the envelopes to me. My family moved from Australia to the UK for a few years, so international mail arrived once a month from my cousins.

We started snail-mailing each other, with six page handwritten letters, while most folk were starting to get savvy with the emails and the net. Today, I still correspond to my grandparents by handwritten letters, as well as my two best mates (also millennials, though they don't do the whole philatelic thing).

Then one day (barely after my 11th birthday), my great uncle gave me a plastic bag crammed full of world stamps (mostly pre-1940s). Years later, towards my final days in high school, I finally got around to finishing the sorting and placing them neatly into an album.

Through my own junior high years, the elderly folk at church also passed on bits and pieces and I took to meeting regularly with one chap with whom the conversations rarely went beyond anything other than stamps. It was then, mind you, that I soon learnt the truth about old Chinese stockbooks with their yellowing pages. Got a summer job in a... no, not JB-HIFI – a secondhand bookshop.

You can guess where my pocket money went. Signed up to countless free auction catalogues and got really excited about all the mail arriving for me. Poor people – never did buy much from them, but the stamps they used and the wealth of information within certainly inspired. Thanks to Mowbray, Prestige, Jim Betson and co. for further igniting the passion of a young (partially naive and largely ignorant at the time) teenager.

Why did I enjoy this hobby? I can picture myself now, listening to music late in the afternoon, stiff neck from looking downwards (anyone else?) at stamps spread across the kitchen table, flicking through ancient, yellowing, telephone-book style Stanley Gibbons catalogues to figure out details about particular stamps. Only to realise that the one I had flapping between my tweezers was only worth 10p. Sometimes closer to £50 on the odd occasion, but nothing like a gem.

I guess I've always had an interest in history, though. And an appreciation for the finer details in life. It was those beautiful engravings on the stamps. Now it's beautiful engravings on a stamp with a glass of wine in the other hand. How one can mature, even as a millennial!

As for geography – well, you know, I come from a family of teachers, missionaries and international travellers. Seems I picked up those genes too, because now I have an interest in geography and other cultures and have been blessed to have travelled around the globe a bit too. But stamps provide the perfect opportunity to venture out as an armchair traveller. That's partly the fun part.

And so it was – ten years ago now (Gawd, maybe I am getting on!) – that I stumbled upon Stampboards. Signed up and have since experienced other forums across the world wide web, but have also found this one to be the most user friendly by a mile. Easy to navigate, easy to read, no funky ads (except down the bottom are some useful links for sourcing material).

And some wonderful people with wonderful wisdom. Had the honour of meeting some of you in Sydney and at the 2013 Melbourne Exhibition. Some old souls, perhaps, but a few young folk (TassieStamps comes to mind – if you look at his website, he seems not unlike a Glen Stephens Jnr).

So, yeah, I'm a millennial. A philatelic millennial. A philatelic millennial now with an interest in arctic postal history (1939 – 1945) since reading Alistair MacLean's HMS Ulysses. A philatelic millennial who gave up on Facebook last year because I have better things to do in life and actually found it boring (the only good thing was the Stampboards page).

And a philatelic millennial who is dating a professional archivist... :wink:

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Allanswood wrote:...Maybe some dealer or ebayer with items in stock might start offering "the new stamp collectors isolation starters pack" and see how that goes? :shock: :wink:

As this goes on, there will be many looking for something different to do, something "new" to distract them from the "done that already" boredom, and flicking through tangible "old stuff" at home might be just the ticket.

... Sounds like one of Glen's legendary "junk" cartons!

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

Catweazle wrote:Well, I guess that counts me in. Born in 1992.

If you were born in 1992, where did you encounter the TV series Catweazle?!

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

mozzerb wrote:

Must have fallen into the pond of time... :lol:

We have both series on some flat, shiny thing called a DVD.

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Very Droll Catweazle, at least you did not come to consciousness in the 1960s. with platform shoes and flared trousers, all the rage. They were, if I remember well, rather difficult to wear and pull off well in public-in it's widest sense. It would have made your monk's cowl, rather stand out!
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

Catweazle wrote:
mozzerb wrote:

Must have fallen into the pond of time... :lol:

We have both series on some flat, shiny thing called a DVD.

Magic!

Seriously though, was this just "oh, DVD of an old kid's series about a wizard who arrives in the 1970s, that sounds interesting" or had you heard of it before getting the DVD?

Eli

Post by Eli »

Global Administrator wrote:jivie798 - looks like we have found a new Volunteer to assist with our very regular and informative Facebook page updates, that many enjoy, other than you it appears.

I am sure you never will volunteer to help, but hey many have vague ideas out there, in all kinds of areas - not many actually assist to fulfill them. :idea:

Admin

I am ready to volunteer and help, if you need volunteers. Although the SB FB page is good and very informative and I enjoy it a lot, I think the page, like each FB page, can be improved and attract more followers (currently around 3000 followers) which, I believe, will later join SB.

Regards, Eli

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

mozzerb, my father started me on it when he found the DVDs. It was on TV in his day, then he introduced me to it. I was most amused.

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

I am intrigued by the premise! I will add "Catweazle" to my streaming service searches.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Catweazle wrote:
Well, by the age of ten, pretty soon family and friends discovered that I had begun to collect stamps, so they saved their mail and passed the stamps on the envelopes to me. My family moved from Australia to the UK for a few years, so international mail arrived once a month from my cousins.

We started snail-mailing each other, with six page handwritten letters, while most folk were starting to get savvy with the emails and the net. Today, I still correspond to my grandparents by handwritten letters, as well as my two best mates (also millennials, though they don't do the whole philatelic thing).

Hurrah for another snail mailer!

There does seem to be more interest at the moment in snail mail, whether with friends/family, or to brighten up the lives of those in care homes..
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Hyderabadi

Post by Hyderabadi »

More on the this topic in below YouTube video in case anyone missed it... some stampboarders in it as well!

https://youtu.be/FKC30sXb9MA

norvic

Post by norvic »

Oh wow!

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Catweazle and FairyFoot, or perhaps with the gentlemanly correctness, it should be the other way round, I would love to connect with UK penpallers as since my sister died 3 years ago, my source of used UK stamps has dried up.

If interested please email me at ballyus(at)y7mail(dot)com. I realise that with the current pandemic, mail transfer from Australia to UK and vice versa, may take some considerable time, although, unlike U.S., Canada, and a fair segment of Europe, some mail is getting through, slowly.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Message was sent to Waffle at ridiculous-o'clock.

If anyone else is interested in increasing the supply of used stamps through the sending of nice letters, I do have a little snail mail forum. Some of the people there are not interested as much in collecting stamps but they do like to use nice ones.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”