The UK Postbox thread - we want your pics!

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Bill H UK
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

The UK Postbox thread - we want your pics!

Post by Bill H UK »

Since spending far too much time on the 'Hunt the Postbox' thread, I've got quite interested in the UK's wide selection of historic street post boxes. I'm no expert, but I am learning!

The purpose of this thread is to share photos of any rare, unusual, historic or simply beautiful post boxes which we come across....

I'll put up any I find, but everyone's welcome to add their own. I'm calling it for 'UK Postboxes', but any British boxes in far-flung parts of the Empire are also welcome.

First up, a fine example of a Victorian 'Penfold' hexagonal pillar box. This is still in use, and stands in Shrewsbury town centre.
IMG_20190821_120612370 (1).jpg
And an example of what I mean by simply a pretty box. It's set into a water mill in the village of Lower Slaughter, Gloucestershire. Nothing special about it, just a standard KG5 wall box - but doesn't it look lovely?
IMG_20210630_174510249 (2).jpg

Bill H UK

Re: The UK Postbox thread - we want your pics!

Post by Bill H UK »

Here's a very rare item, known as a 'K4' - a strange hybrid of telephone box, letter box and stamp vending machine.
Apparently, only 50 were cast (they didn't catch on) and only 4 remain in use.
This one is in Frodsham, Cheshire. Still a working telephone box and post box, but sadly the stamp machines have been painted over!
IMG_20210425_140410785 (1).jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Another rare one - a Victorian 'fluted' design. 12 remain in use on the streets. This one is in Great Malvern, Worcestershire.
(Great Malvern has 3 of the remaining 12)
They also exist with a vertical slot, which are even rarer. Only four remain. I've yet to find one.
IMG_20210701_123009877.jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Another 'Penfold' - this one is in Saltburn, North Yorkshire.
IMG_20190925_152137044 (1).jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Here's a puzzling one - a KG5 box which looks like no other pillar box I've seen anywhere. Just a squared box - you might not even recognise it for what it is.
A one-off? I've not been able to find anything about it on the internet. Anyone know?
This one is in Llandudno, Gwynedd.
IMG_20210609_165613090.jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

This Victorian wall box (no longer in use) is situated on the platform of Great Malvern station (ie, for the sole use of train passengers, you would have to have a ticket to be on the platform)

Great Malvern is a superbly preserved Victorian station. Note the lovely painted metal flowers on top of the pillars. Also benches with the original 'GWR' logo cast into them. Rail buffs will love it.
IMG_20210626_171255951.jpg
IMG_20210626_171318873.jpg

fchd

Post by fchd »

Most, if not all, UK Postboxes have a Royal Cypher on them to indicate the reign of the monarch when they were installed.

This one is the only one I have found with TWO Royal Cyphers

UK Postbox PL30 151 - Hellandbridge, Cornwall
UK Postbox PL30 151 - Hellandbridge, Cornwall

This box is in Hellandbridge, Cornwall and has both "VR" and "GR" cyphers

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Malta must be one of the less "far-flung" parts of the old Empire, but here goes...

Here we still have quite a few British colonial-era pillar boxes and wall boxes, and many are still in use. The oldest are Victorian and Edwardian but few of them remain - "GR", "GVIR" or "EIIR" from the early/mid 20th century are more common. Malta's postboxes are still painted red (unlike Ireland or Hong Kong which repainted them green or Cyprus which repainted them yellow) but some years ago some boxes which are still in use had their royal cyphers painted in gold.

Shortly after we became a republic in 1974, probably sometime during the 1980s, some pillar boxes in the capital Valletta had their royal cyphers chased off by the government, but this defacement was limited to the capital city and many post boxes elsewhere on the islands remain intact. Around a decade ago all surviving examples were scheduled, so they should be preserved for future generations.

This is a postbox in Victoria (aka Rabat, capital of Malta's sister island Gozo) with the gold royal cypher of Queen Elizabeth II - I guess it dates back to the 1950s or so. I took this photo in 2012 and I had already posted it elsewhere on SB.

Last edited by HalfpennyYellow on 24 Jul 2021 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Excellent, fchd.
I guess at some point in the 1910s-30s, the door needed replacing and they used a spare.
Where is it located?

All postbox curiosities welcome!

HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

To add some stamps to this thread, this 2004 set shows examples of post boxes from all the reigns from Victoria to Elizabeth II (except Edward VIII - I don't think there are any boxes from his reign here) plus a more recent MaltaPost postbox.

Malta 2004 Letter Boxes.jpg

The stamps depict actual post boxes: the Victorian box is located near the Customs House in Valletta, the Edwardian box is in Birgu, the George V and VI boxes at Munxar and Ħamrun, the Elizabeth II box is in Victoria (similar to the one in my pic) and the modern one is at St Anne Street in Floriana.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by GB 789 »

Bill H UK wrote:
24 Jul 2021 05:21
This Victorian wall box (no longer in use) is situated on the platform of Great Malvern station (ie, for the sole use of train passengers, you would have to have a ticket to be on the platform)

Great Malvern is a superbly preserved Victorian station. Note the lovely painted metal flowers on top of the pillars. Also benches with the original 'GWR' logo cast into them. Rail buffs will love it.

ImageImage
It is a lovely railway station and clearly was popular with the more well off Victorians. There is even a ‘secret’ tunnel that goes from the station a few hundred yards to a former luxurious hotel (now a private girl school) so the passengers wouldn’t get wet in the typical Malvern hills climate. There has been recent rumours of part of this tunnel being reopened again.

Back to post boxes, there was a lovely early VR example I remember in Mudeford near Christchurch, Dorset that was very similar to the Great Malvern example here.

Also, if I recall correctly there is a vertical slot VR postbox remaining on the Isle of Wight, possibly in Ryde.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

A couple more of my pics of Great Malvern station - it is a delight for lovers of Victoriana. You can see the sealed entrance to the tunnel you mention in the background of the first.
IMG_20210628_103343074~2.jpg
IMG_20210628_104241847~2.jpg
Any members in the IoW - a photo of one of the 'vertical slots' would be great!

RevRed+
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by RevRed+ »

GB 789 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 08:56

It is a lovely railway station and clearly was popular with the more well off Victorians. There is even a ‘secret’ tunnel that goes from the station a few hundred yards to a former luxurious hotel (now a private girl school) so the passengers wouldn’t get wet in the typical Malvern hills climate. There has been recent rumours of part of this tunnel being reopened again.
Isn't/Wasn't there a similiar accessway from Waverly Station in Edinburgh to an adjoining hotel?
Red.

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Bill H UK wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:28
A couple more of my pics of Great Malvern station - it is a delight for lovers of Victoriana. You can see the sealed entrance to the tunnel you mention in the background of the first.

Any members in the IoW - a photo of one of the 'vertical slots' would be great!
Ironically the Mudeford, Christchurch postbox I mentioned is a vertical slot example!!! I just did a Google search and it was the first thing that came up!
463B6C07-C69F-48C9-9457-FB96052E72EF.jpeg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
24 Jul 2021 06:40
Malta must be one of the less "far-flung" parts of the old Empire, but here goes...

Here we still have quite a few British colonial-era pillar boxes and wall boxes, and many are still in use. The oldest are Victorian and Edwardian but few of them remain - "GR", "GVIR" or "EIIR" from the early/mid 20th century are more common. Malta's postboxes are still painted red (unlike Ireland or Hong Kong which repainted them green or Cyprus which repainted them yellow) but some years ago some boxes which are still in use had their royal cyphers painted in gold.

Shortly after we became a republic in 1974, probably sometime during the 1980s, some pillar boxes in the capital Valletta had their royal cyphers chased off by the government, but this defacement was limited to the capital city and many post boxes elsewhere on the islands remain intact. Around a decade ago all surviving examples were scheduled, so they should be preserved for future generations.

This is a postbox in Victoria (aka Rabat, capital of Malta's sister island Gozo) with the gold royal cypher of Queen Elizabeth II - I guess it dates back to the 1950s or so. I took this photo in 2012 and I had already posted it elsewhere on SB.
Hi Halfpenny Yellow, and thanks for your contribution. It's great to hear that the remaining boxes on Malta are now protected. Whatever you think about British rule, you can't deny there are impressive bits of street furniture, and part of your history. I'd be interested to see any examples of the remaining older ones, or ones in more rural areas.

The stamps are a nice set, I'll try and pick a set up. Our Royal Mail issued a very nice set a while ago, I'll see if I can find some.

I didn't know HK had painted their boxes green - anyone got any pics?

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

RevRed+ wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:39
GB 789 wrote:

Isn't/Wasn't there a similiar accessway from Waverly Station in Edinburgh to an adjoining hotel?
Yes I do believe there is. No doubt to assume that the same type of visitor (i.e. rich!) would visit both these beautiful places.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

RevRed+ wrote:
GB 789 wrote:
Don't know. Maybe our Edinburgh agent, Oldduffer1, can tell us.....?

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

A couple of post boxes in Australia that may date from colonial times.

Street post box. Katoomba NSW.
Street post box. Katoomba NSW.

Street post box. Wellington NSW.
Street post box. Wellington NSW.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

GB's Postbox stamps (2009 & 2002) - a couple of Royal Mail's better efforts this century - especially the wall boxes, I think.
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
24 Jul 2021 06:40
Malta's postboxes are still painted red (unlike Ireland or Hong Kong which repainted them green or Cyprus which repainted them yellow)

Here's a 'green' one in the UK. It's been (badly) painted green as a political act in a 'nationalist' area of Belfast (Falls Rd.) No doubt the authorities don't dare to repaint it!
A curiosity.
falls.JPG
(Photo credit to Deltic1575, from the 'Hunt the Postbox' thread.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Google maps provides this image.

Post box at Norwick, Unst, Shetland Islands. The UKs most northerly post box.
Post box at Norwick, Unst, Shetland Islands. The UKs most northerly post box.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Bill H UK wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:51
RevRed+ wrote:
GB 789 wrote:
Don't think there is a tunnel (although there are plenty of old ones in Edinburgh!). The access from the Station to Princes Street and the North British (now Balmoral) hotel is via the Waverly Steps. These have now been covered over and an escalator added.

Waverly Steps 1943
495px-Edinburgh,_Scotland_in_Wartime,_1943.jpg
Wikipedia

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Bill just in case you missed my previous message about the VR vertical slot postbox in Mudeford, Dorset (I sent two messages at once which made it a tad confusing) here it is:
7E1115FC-CA25-4568-9D61-97D4E4AE4C93.jpeg

hatter

Post by hatter »

johore bahru malaysia c1995
johore bahru malaysia c1995
post boxes at the right

johore bahru post box
johore bahru post box
front view
Hatter

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

No, we got it fine, thanks.
What surprised me about the Victorian boxes was the size of the slots! Obviously they thought they only needed to accommodate a postcard or a folded sheet. Good luck getting a bunch of A4 reports or a couple of DVDs through there!

So one in Dorset, possibly one in the IoW.
I think I heard the others were in London, not sure.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Not my picture but a rather spectacular (if not good for preservation) position of a Penfold at South Queensferry, with the Forth Rail Bridge in the background.

Photograph Red Post Box South Queensferry Scotland_jpg (1).jpg
http://www.visitdunkeld.com/September%20Tour%20Scotland/page ... nd_jpg.htm

I am sure I read somewhere that this is actually a reproduction box, but cannot now seem to find conformation.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

hatter wrote:
25 Jul 2021 00:12
Excellent, Hatter. This is the sort of thing we're looking for.
Here's a lucky UK pillar box that's ended up in St. Lucia (on the beach, too!)
xxxxxx_cr.jpg
Anyone got any more from the British Caribbean?

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Some interesting info and great photos here:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2479115/How-Royal-M ... boxes.html

(Thanks to Bazza4338 for this)

Vict0riann
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Vict0riann »

Here's one on the Queen Mary 2
CIMG0882.JPG
And in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands
P1020805.JPG
P1020806.JPG

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

OldDuffer1 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 23:24
Bill H UK wrote:
RevRed+ wrote:
GB 789 wrote:
Don't think there is a tunnel (although there are plenty of old ones in Edinburgh!). The access from the Station to Princes Street and the North British (now Balmoral) hotel is via the Waverly Steps. These have now been covered over and an escalator added.
As far as I now can remember, Michael Portillo was shown the internal stairway on one of his Great Railway Journeys.

Although, there is a spiral walkway/passage, called The Scotsman Steps from the front of the Scotsman Hotel down to Market Street.
Red.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Falkland Islands box:
2 collections a day!
Don't get that anywhere here.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

RevRed+ wrote:
25 Jul 2021 04:29
OldDuffer1 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 23:24
Bill H UK wrote:
RevRed+ wrote:
GB 789 wrote:
As far as I now can remember, Michael Portillo was shown the internal stairway on one of his Great Railway Journeys.
Cannot find any reference to a "secret" stairway. Although, there is a spiral walkway/passage, called The Scotsman Steps from the front of the Scotsman Hotel, (previously the Scotsman Newspaper building), down to Market Street. The Scotsman steps - sometimes known as the "pissy" steps because of the unfortunate habits of certain persons!

The_Scotsman_Steps_building,_Edinburgh,_Scotland.jpg
Wikipedia

Generally to be avoided in the past, they have now been tarted up with replacement marble steps etc.
7189114264_eeedb0bdb6_b.jpg
https://www.eh1.com/scotsman-steps-by-martin-creed/

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Bill H UK wrote:
24 Jul 2021 05:15
Here's a puzzling one - a KG5 box which looks like no other pillar box I've seen anywhere. Just a squared box - you might not even recognise it for what it is.
A one-off? I've not been able to find anything about it on the internet. Anyone know?
This one is in Llandudno, Gwynedd.

I've seen this one but don't know anything about it.

There's another postbox in Llandudno mentioned in Old Letter Boxes book, by Martin Robinson published by Shire Publications.

Maybe contact the Letterbox Study Group, or see if Royal Mail or the National Postal Museum know anything about that odd postbox.
Last edited by FairyFoot on 25 Jul 2021 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I've been out and about recently taking pictures of postboxes... with a view to tweeting them on Saturdays for #postboxsaturday on Twitter and Instagram. There was something on a BBC local radio station about #postboxsaturday.

Anyway, no doubt I'll be sharing some with you all soon..
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I blog here. I also have a snailmail forum.

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

This thread is a “great read.”

Keep ‘em coming!
My address has changed and is available upon request.

I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool.

Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Here's a couple of boxes attached to still-working and rather quaint Post Offices, both from my neck of the woods (East Riding of Yorkshire)
IMG_20210527_182642596.jpg
This one is in the village of Warter. Just a post office, not a shop, and open 3 times a week'
IMG_20190622_193828863 (1).jpg
This one is in Burton Fleming, barely hanging on as it's open only one day per week. I like it for the lovely unofficial hand-carved sign above the shop, carved from a single oak beam by a postmaster in the 1930's, I'm told by the locals.

Please feel free to add any interesting, picturesque or quirky PO's you come across!

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Old British pillar box still in use in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus, nicely painted yellow.
cyprus.jpg

fchd

Post by fchd »

Here's one I photographed yesterday - a rather functional one at the Avonmouth Delivery Office, north of Bristol. I almost missed it as it is housed deep in a recess of the red-brick building

Postbox BS11 639, Avonmouth Delivery Office
Postbox BS11 639, Avonmouth Delivery Office

I'm sure it looked nicer when the metal was new and shiny.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Interesting. There is a bronze metal wall box in Scarborough, on a post office wall. I had thought that it might be a converted bank ( looks like it could be) and the bank's post box repurposed.
No cypher I note.

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I passed this one again today on the way back from a walk.
Screenshot from 2021-07-25 17-46-21.png
It is on the way into Llanllyfni from Penygroes.
Screenshot from 2021-07-25 17-46-48.png
Postbox code is LL54 105
Screenshot from 2021-07-25 17-47-14.png

FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

A stop in Mansfield saw me finding this.
NG18 85
NG18 85

fchd

Post by fchd »

We've seen some British style boxes in other countries, so how about some French style boxes in the UK.

There are three that I know of in North Devon, two of which are used for Royal Mail collections, and the other just a ceremonial box

Taking them from West to East (or South to North, it's the same thing), these came "over here" due to various town twinning arrangements with towns in the UK & France

Clovelly

Inside the Clovelly Visitors Centre, this is the one that is not a functioning Royal Mail box. There is a "live" box in the carpark outside.
French style box Clovelly
French style box Clovelly
Bideford

Attached to the Burton Art Gallery, about 50m from the local Post Office. Presented to the people of Bideford in 1992.
French style box EX39 183D
French style box EX39 183D
Braunton

Caen Street. There is a regular UK box within a few metres.
French style box EX33 78D
French style box EX33 78D

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Most of the post boxes in Ireland date back to British times. Here is one.

GR Wall Post Box.
GR Wall Post Box.

Red.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Oops! It was the right way up on my computer. My apologies. :roll:
Red.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

fchd wrote:
30 Jul 2021 05:08
We've seen some British style boxes in other countries, so how about some French style boxes in the UK.

There are three that I know of in North Devon, two of which are used for Royal Mail collections, and the other just a ceremonial box

Taking them from West to East (or South to North, it's the same thing), these came "over here" due to various town twinning arrangements with towns in the UK & France

Most interesting- I'd not heard of these before. And 2 are actually used as RM boxes! Splendid.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

RevRed+ wrote:
30 Jul 2021 05:15

Most of the post boxes in Ireland date back to British times. Here is one.

Is it true that some have the cyphers chiseled off? A picture of one of those would be interesting.

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Bill H UK wrote:
30 Jul 2021 06:15
RevRed+ wrote:
Is it true that some have the cyphers chiseled off? A picture of one of those would be interesting.
I believe so, but I cannot remember seeing one. I'll keep an eye out in future.
Red.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

FairyFoot wrote:
30 Jul 2021 00:25
A stop in Mansfield saw me finding this.

I'm guessing that this used to have a Post Office 'arrow' sign on the top, judging by the bracket on top.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

RevRed+ wrote:
30 Jul 2021 06:18
Bill H UK wrote:
30 Jul 2021 06:15
RevRed+ wrote:
I believe so, but I cannot remember seeing one. I'll keep an eye out in future.
I've heard the tale but never actually seen one. Keep your eyes peeled!

RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

I've just found this in my photos. No idea where it is.

Post Box
Post Box

Red.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”