AP sending POST FREE Postcards to Australian Households?

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

AP sending POST FREE Postcards to Australian Households?

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Apparently following Canada's lead -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=94327

Australia Post has joined this initiative. Maggie received this postcard today.

The postcard side.
The postcard side.

The address side.
The address side.

I have picked three more from neighbours. All the same design.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

MJ's pet

Re: Canada Post Sending POST FREE Postcards to all Canadian Households

Post by MJ's pet »

There is only one design AFAIK. The question is: if used through the mail, will they receive a postmark?
Last edited by MJ's pet on 14 Sep 2021 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Why Australia Post is giving away 4 million free postcards

Jessie Middis·News Reporter, 6 September 2021·
https://au.news.yahoo.com/why-australia-post-is-giving-away- ... 54985.html

Australia Post has today announced a new initiative to help Australians stay connected through the Covid-19 pandemic.

As part of the innovative program, more than four million specially designed prepaid postcards will be delivered to rural and remote households across the country from next week.

These postcards will also be available for free at participating Australia Post Offices, while stocks last from September 6.

free postcard.png

The postcards, which were designed in collaboration with Beyond Blue, are able to be divided into two sections.

The first part of the postcard is designed to be kept, which includes tips on maintaining good mental health.

The second part of the postcard is designed to write on and send to friends or loved ones, free of charge.

Discussing the program on their website, Australia Post wrote that their partnership with Beyond Blue aims to connect more people with mental health and wellbeing services.

‘Remove the barriers’: High hopes for new campaign
Nicky Tracey, the Head of Community at Australia Post, said the postal service’s newest initiative will have a positive impact on people’s mental health, particularly those who are currently in isolation or lockdown.

“We know that when we connect, we feel better and sometimes a small message can be all it takes to make a big difference to someone you care about,” Ms Tracey said.

“These postcards make it really easy to connect with a message of love, hope and support by simply putting a message on the card, addressing it and dropping it in a red post box.”

The new postcards will be able to be sent for free. Source: Getty Images
Beyond Blue Chief Executive Officer Georgie Harman has said the partnership with Australia Post is enabling the mental health organisation to further expand their reach into rural communities.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

The information I have to hand is that it's being delivered to rural and remote areas, 4 million printed and also available across the counter at some PO's. Some were inserted in some Saturday newspapers.
About to go and check mine.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

There are 2 slightly different versions of this card - this version has different arrangement of text on the information half and less text on the prepaid half, and the pictures are centred a bit differently compared to the version posted by Terry above:

Australia postcard PO front.jpg
Australia postcard PO back.jpg
I wonder if the newspaper and PO ones are different or if it's just random.

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

I also just found out that there were postage paid cards distributed in newspapers in Australia in January 2021, that you could send to thank a frontline worker.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/thanks-a-million-sy ... 132794aa8f

Did anyone save their card?
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

^ Don't recall this specifically but they were distributed in various large newspapers. Does anyone have an image?

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

The current version, just delivered, does not have the QR code on it.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: AP sending POST FREE Postcards to Australian Households

Post by Global Administrator »

Typical stingy Australia Post - 10 million folks in MEL and SYD alone in lockdown for months, and no postcards for them. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Newsflash to AP there are 25 million folks living in this country, not 4 million. You would think they might know something about household numbers in the country. :twisted:

Nicky Tracey, the Head of Community at Australia Post, said the postal service’s newest initiative will have a positive impact on people’s mental health, particularly those who are currently in isolation or lockdown.

“We know that when we connect, we feel better and sometimes a small message can be all it takes to make a big difference to someone you care about,” Ms Tracey said.

“These postcards make it really easy to connect with a message of love, hope and support by simply putting a message on the card, addressing it and dropping it in a red post box.”

The new postcards will be able to be sent for free.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: AP sending POST FREE Postcards to Australian Households?

Post by lesbootman »

I wonder what would happen if someone affixed an airmail label and mailed one overseas?
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

A good question. I will ask at my post office tomorrow.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Guessing here, but if posted over the counter, refused and asked to put additional stamps on. But posted in a mailbox, who knows?

AP will be budgeting that only a % of these will ever be sent domestically. So some may slip through overseas?

Lots of overseas postcards/maxi cards have the same Postage Paid in bars so potentially confusing. :?

briggia
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by briggia »

Someone came in the shop today to buy a gift to send separately with the free postcard.

They were really pleased to be sending the postcard to ‘granny’ who is in lockdown 50m the wrong side of Coolangatta Road.

Cheers

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

lesbootman wrote:
15 Sep 2021 21:05
I wonder what would happen if someone affixed an airmail label and mailed one overseas?
IMG_20210914_0001 (2).jpg

The answer to that question was there on the postcard all along.
For posting overseas the normal postcard sending scenario applies.
I now have thirteen copies of this card.
Email me if you would like one sent to you.
Please send Maggie a postcard of your choice in reply.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

One of these postcards posted off to RogerE and Canada stamper today.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
22 Sep 2021 13:23

suitably uprated with International stamps I presume ;)

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

One didn't need uprating and the other was sent under cover. ;)

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: AP sending POST FREE Postcards to Australian Households

Post by Catweazle »

Global Administrator wrote:
15 Sep 2021 14:34
Typical stingy Australia Post - 10 million folks in MEL and SYD alone in lockdown for months, and no postcards for them. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Newsflash to AP there are 25 million folks living in this country, not 4 million. You would think they might know something about household numbers in the country. :twisted:

The new postcards will be able to be sent for free.
So true. As usual, Stampboards was the first and ONLY place I heard of this.

And I still haven't seen any of these in the flesh.

Oh well, I have other stamps and postcards to keep me busy. But it sucks for those who don't get nice mail and who are actually in lockdown! :(

Bowyum
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Bowyum »

Interesting to note that in one version of the card (the one with the QR code), the car is being driven on the wrong side of the road!

My local post office today handed me sixteen of the version with the car on the left, but I only have one of the “American” version, written on from a PO in Western Australia, not postmarked unfortunately.

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

If anyone has one spare they could uprate to me in Germany in exchange for the nice minisheet on cover released in Germany recently, let me know.

Germany, 2nd September 2021, Day of the Stamp, Treasures of Philately: The Bordeaux Letter.
Germany, 2nd September 2021, Day of the Stamp, Treasures of Philately: The Bordeaux Letter.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Can do. Email The Puffin.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Thank you Terry :D

Email sent.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Bowyum wrote:
22 Sep 2021 21:39
Interesting to note that in one version of the card (the one with the QR code), the car is being driven on the wrong side of the road!

My local post office today handed me sixteen of the version with the car on the left, but I only have one of the “American” version, written on from a PO in Western Australia, not postmarked unfortunately.
Good observation!! I hadn't noticed that! :D Wonder why they made 2 different versions of the picture with the car in different lanes??

Jean

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Good observation - is the car in the incorrect lane the first version? HHmm :|

If Rod Perry were alive he would be buying these up at a rate of knots (like the Leunig "The Age" postcard :lol: ).

norvic

Post by norvic »

No the driver is lined up to avoid the whale in the regular lane. :lol:
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Just went to my PO... it looks like the original print run with the car on the wrong side are being used up over the counter at the PO. Last week I received 2 cards with the new print - no QR code, car on the correct side - and they offered me a couple more cards today. They are the old ones with the QR code and the car on the wrong side. :shock:

The QR code takes you to an AP website page outlining the initiative and Beyond Blue support.

I'm going to send a card to a PO I know (not too far away), that was at the centre of the horrendous bushfires last year. :idea:

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Greg. Should you get a spare of the card with the QR code could you send it to me please ?

All twenty of my cards are the other version.

Note to Philexx. Didn't receive your email George. Try me direct at:cookardinia at outlook dot com

chips61
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by chips61 »

Hi Ubobo
Would you like to swap a couple
cheers
Chris

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I would like a card with the QR code Chris. I can send you the other type in return.

chips61

Post by chips61 »

Hi Ubobo
can you email me your address
and i will reply
cheers
Chris

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Email sent Chris but I did not receive my copy. I have listed my cookardinia email address above.

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
24 Sep 2021 19:40
Greg. Should you get a spare of the card with the QR code could you send it to me please ?

All twenty of my cards are the other version.

Note to Philexx. Didn't receive your email George. Try me direct at:cookardinia at outlook dot com
New Email sent Terry. Your cover is prepared and will be posted in the morning.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Got that email George and have replied.

Member chips61 please use the email address I supplied to make contact.

chips61

Post by chips61 »

Email sent
hopefully you got it
Chris

langlade
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by langlade »

The 'When we connect .. card' was circulated in the Canberra Times. Does anyone know which other newspapers the card was circulated in? The card was also delivered to letterboxes in Wagga Wagga and Bundaberg. Does anyone know any other places receiving the card through their letterboxes.

langlade

Post by langlade »

nov 21 free postcard 2.jpg
Used card above. Below the free postcard given away with Murdoch newspapers in January. The cards were branded with the logo of the newspaper they were circulated in - Sunday Telegraph, Weekend Australian, Sun Herald, Sunday Mail (SA and Qld) etc
may 21 Australia Post Free postcard.jpg
may 21 Australia Post Free postcard rev.jpg

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Thankyou for showing an image of the newspaper issued card Ian. I had not seen it before.

Caloundra, Queensland also had the cards put in letterboxes.
We received the variety that does not have the QR code.
Fortunately you can still tell which variety you have even if you only have the received half as the QR variety has the car on the wrong side of the road.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
28 Sep 2021 09:53
Thankyou for showing an image of the newspaper issued card Ian. I had not seen it before.

Ditto. Presumably the types with the different newspapers will be scarce. :)

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
28 Sep 2021 09:53

Caloundra, Queensland also had the cards put in letterboxes.
We received the variety that does not have the QR code.
Fortunately you can still tell which variety you have even if you only have the received half as the QR variety has the car on the wrong side of the road.
Also the variety without the QR code has text at the top left on the address side and the one with the QR code does not.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Interesting, there seem to be a few different ones available out there.

Picked up a "beyond blue" one with "everyday tips for mental health and wellbeing" today.

If you'd like me to post it to you, send me a PM with your postal address! First come are first served.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

That is the one with the QR code on it. Claimed by The Puffin. I will send you the other type in return.
Email sent.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Canada stamper wrote:
15 Sep 2021 00:10
There are 2 slightly different versions of this card - this version has different arrangement of text on the information half and less text on the prepaid half, and the pictures are centred a bit differently compared to the version posted by Terry above:

I wonder if the newspaper and PO ones are different or if it's just random.

Jean
I've looked through this thread and although the two pictures are shown, they are claimed to be the same design (although the one later reported with the QR code has the car on the wrong side of the road).

But one is predominantly red and the other green.

Does this mean that everybody got two, one of each colour? Or are the two colours randomly distributed.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

The cards are printed on both sides Ian. See the OP. You keep half and send the other half.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Thank you - so you keep the red and send the green. I thought it was two different cards.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

No Ian. You keep the green and send the red.

Today I posted off cards to Philexx, chips61 and Catweazle. All postmarked at Golden Beach.

I also asked the postmaster if he had any more cards. He handed me six. All had the QR code. :D

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Terry were the ones you originally got over the counter at the PO without the QR code?

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Canada stamper wrote:
30 Sep 2021 01:53
Terry were the ones you originally got over the counter at the PO without the QR code ?
YES.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Catweazle wrote:
28 Sep 2021 19:36
Interesting, there seem to be a few different ones available out there.

Picked up a "beyond blue" one with "everyday tips for mental health and wellbeing" today.

If you'd like me to post it to you, send me a PM with your postal address! First come are first served.
Thankyou Mister Catweazle. The whole card arrived today. The only postal marking were the orange bars.

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
22 Sep 2021 13:23
Received safely, thank you very much Terry. :D :D

Jean

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

chips61 wrote:
25 Sep 2021 14:45
Hi Ubobo
Would you like to swap a couple
cheers
Chris
Thankyou Chris. Your letter arrived today. I am very happy. Thankyou for using the g'day and hello stamps on your sending. I did not have those stamps.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”