Mythologies of the World on Stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

BlackTuesday
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Mythologies of the World on Stamps

Post by BlackTuesday »

Continued from previous post . . . .

That detail was found on the book "Worshiping Siva and Buddha: The Temple Art of East Java"
By Ann R. Kinney, Marijke J. Klokke, Lydia Kieven.

Here the authors captioned the relief as "The spoils of victory, female captives from Yawana", Krishnayana relief, Candi Panataran, Biltar District, East Java.

And the relief location as "Second register, north side, Main Temple, third courtyard".

Grenada 1.jpg

This is from the book:

"The Krishna story at Panataran begins in a recess to the left corner stairs where the demon king plans to attack Krishna ... In the panel to the left of the stairs, the king of Yawana at the head of his demon army is chasing Krishna ....

Turning to the corner to the north side, the story continues with a scene showing men fleeing Yawana with their possessions being accosted by Krishna's forces, followed by a depiction of female captives being presented to two men on horseback"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The front horseman in the relief is Shree Krishna himself and the second horseman is Krishna's elder brother Balarama.

There are two reasons for deciding this.

Firstly, the authors also observed that in reliefs where Shree Krishna is present he is accompanied by two servants carrying a betel box and a spittoon, and usually by two brahmins as well.

Now looking at our image we can identify two servatnts and a brahmin easily.

Grenada3.jpg

Secondly, this story is actually a very interesting episode from "Vishnu Purana" and "Harivamsa" of Hindu Mythology.

There it is known as "Krishna and Kalayavana" episode. And we know from it that Shree Krishna and Balarama, two brothers destroyed the invading Yavana* (Greek) army together at the end.

* Yavana is a term used from the Vedic times to denote Greeks, or people from the middle east.

"The king of Yawana" referred in the book above is actually Kalayavana of Hindu mythology. According to the Vishnu Purana and Harivamsa, Kālayavana (black Greek/Yona) was a Yavana king. This legend appears to indicate a Greek invasion from across the Himalayas.

Kalayavana Surrounds Mathura, Page from a Dispersed Bhagavata Purana Series (from collection of Brooklyn Museum, New York City)
Kalayavana Surrounds Mathura, Page from a Dispersed Bhagavata Purana Series (from collection of Brooklyn Museum, New York City)

Kalayavana was undefeated and unmatched in battle due to a boon. When he learned that Shree Krishna is the only person who can defeat him in battle, accepting this challenge he set out to invade Shree Krishna's kingdom, Mathura with an army of three million yavanas.

Kalayavana realizing that the yavanas have greatly outnumbered all the yadavas, decided to challenge Shree Krishna for a duel. Shree Krishna strategically fled the battlefield and lured Kalayavana into the cave where the great king of Treta yuga, Muchukunda (one of the forefathers of Lord Shree Rama) was in a deep slumber of thousands of years after helping devas (Gods) in an epic war with asuras (Demons).

Contemplating an absolutely undisturbed sleep he was given a boon by Lord Indra that anyone who dared to disturb his sleep would get burnt to ashes immediately. Fast forward to Dwapara yuga timeline, in the darkness deep inside the cave, Shree Krishna covered Muchukunda with his shawl. Kalayavan assuming him to be Shree kicked him and abused him as ranchhod.

With continuously three, four hits, Muchukund woke up and opened his eyes. He found someone before his eyes and the person in front of him started flashing and fired automatically. Kalyavana caught fire and burned to ashes in no time.

When finally the king was killed, the yavana army could not meet the challenge when Balarama attacked them. Shree joined Balarama and together the two brothers destroyed the army.

Death of Kalayavana - Kalayavana being burnt into ashes by Muchukund
Death of Kalayavana - Kalayavana being burnt into ashes by Muchukund

The interesting stories related to this episode can be read here:

Krishna and Kalayavana - Part 1 of 2

Krishna and Kalayavana - Part 2 of 2

For anyone who is interested to know:

The next reliefs in this series at Penataran temple depicts the events of "Shree Krishna’s abduction of his future wife Rukmini and the union of Krishna and Rukmini"

DRKKLP
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by DRKKLP »

yakub99 wrote:
22 Jul 2020 19:43
Hi DRKKLP
The new-zealand stamp . It looks like Anteros, The brother of Eros.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anteros
Itzhak
Yes I hear you as a mythology purist, you are correct. It is commonly known in the art world and the UK as Eros. See link to Tate Gallery below, which shows the model used for “Eros” on the Shaftesbury Memorial, Piccadilly Circus.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/gilbert-model-for-eros- ... cus-n04176
Eros 1.JPG
Also see British stamp booklet used for “Eros” from my collection (yes really Anteros).
Eros 2.JPG
1990 London Life prestige booklet : EROS, DESIGNED BY ALFRED GILBERT
Why they decided to say it represents the "Angel of Christian Charity" is also beyond me - rubbish stamp designers!

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote:
30 Jun 2020 19:51
Artemis of Ephesus - goddess of Fertility

Artemis of Ephesus statue called "Beautiful Artemis", Ephesus Museum in Selçuk, issued by Austria on April 17, 2020 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of excavations in Ephesus by the Austrian Archaeological Institute.

I just received from Matmex this great cover with the Austrian stamp and a commemorative postmark shows Artemis of Ephesus. Thank you very much, Marco!

IMG_20200722_0004.jpg

sksondhi1
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by sksondhi1 »

BlackTuesday wrote:
22 Jul 2020 21:48
Continued from previous post . . . .

That detail was found on the book "Worshiping Siva and Buddha: The Temple Art of East Java"
By Ann R. Kinney, Marijke J. Klokke, Lydia Kieven.

Here the authors captioned the relief as "The spoils of victory, female captives from Yawana", Krishnayana relief, Candi Panataran, Biltar District, East Java.

And the relief location as "Second register, north side, Main Temple, third courtyard".

This is from the book:

"The Krishna story at Panataran begins in a recess to the left corner stairs where the demon king plans to attack Krishna ... In the panel to the left of the stairs, the king of Yawana at the head of his demon army is chasing Krishna ....

Turning to the corner to the north side, the story continues with a scene showing men fleeing Yawana with their possessions being accosted by Krishna's forces, followed by a depiction of female captives being presented to two men on horseback"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The front horseman in the relief is Shree Krishna himself and the second horseman is Krishna's elder brother Balarama.

There are two reasons for deciding this.

Firstly, the authors also observed that in reliefs where Shree Krishna is present he is accompanied by two servants carrying a betel box and a spittoon, and usually by two brahmins as well.

Now looking at our image we can identify two servatnts and a brahmin easily.

Secondly, this story is actually a very interesting episode from "Vishnu Purana" and "Harivamsa" of Hindu Mythology.

There it is known as "Krishna and Kalayavana" episode. And we know from it that Shree Krishna and Balarama, two brothers destroyed the invading Yavana* (Greek) army together at the end.

* Yavana is a term used from the Vedic times to denote Greeks, or people from the middle east.

"The king of Yawana" referred in the book above is actually Kalayavana of Hindu mythology. According to the Vishnu Purana and Harivamsa, Kālayavana (black Greek/Yona) was a Yavana king. This legend appears to indicate a Greek invasion from across the Himalayas.

Kalayavana was undefeated and unmatched in battle due to a boon. When he learned that Shree Krishna is the only person who can defeat him in battle, accepting this challenge he set out to invade Shree Krishna's kingdom, Mathura with an army of three million yavanas.

Kalayavana realizing that the yavanas have greatly outnumbered all the yadavas, decided to challenge Shree Krishna for a duel. Shree Krishna strategically fled the battlefield and lured Kalayavana into the cave where the great king of Treta yuga, Muchukunda (one of the forefathers of Lord Shree Rama) was in a deep slumber of thousands of years after helping devas (Gods) in an epic war with asuras (Demons).

Contemplating an absolutely undisturbed sleep he was given a boon by Lord Indra that anyone who dared to disturb his sleep would get burnt to ashes immediately. Fast forward to Dwapara yuga timeline, in the darkness deep inside the cave, Shree Krishna covered Muchukunda with his shawl. Kalayavan assuming him to be Shree kicked him and abused him as ranchhod.

With continuously three, four hits, Muchukund woke up and opened his eyes. He found someone before his eyes and the person in front of him started flashing and fired automatically. Kalyavana caught fire and burned to ashes in no time.

When finally the king was killed, the yavana army could not meet the challenge when Balarama attacked them. Shree joined Balarama and together the two brothers destroyed the army.

The interesting stories related to this episode can be read here:

Krishna and Kalayavana - Part 1 of 2

Krishna and Kalayavana - Part 2 of 2

For anyone who is interested to know:

The next reliefs in this series at Penataran temple depicts the events of "Shree Krishna’s abduction of his future wife Rukmini and the union of Krishna and Rukmini"
Wow! Thanks BlackTuesday for detailed information on the scene depicted on this stamp. I would never have been able to solve this mystery. Great efforts.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

sksondhi1 wrote:
23 Jul 2020 02:01
Wow! Thanks BlackTuesday for detailed information on the scene depicted on this stamp. I would never have been able to solve this mystery. Great efforts.
You're welcome sksondhi! :) ... just three days ago I almost gave up on this one

Eli wrote:
22 Jul 2020 22:38
I just received from Matmex this great cover with the Austrian stamp and a commemorative postmark shows Artemis of Ephesus. Thank you very much, Marco!

Beautiful stamp and commemorative postmark!

Matmex

Post by Matmex »

Eli wrote:
22 Jul 2020 22:38

You are welcome Eli.
Always a pleasure to help you with your wonderful collection.
Regards,
Marco

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Eli wrote:
30 Jun 2020 19:51

While In Greece Artemis (Diana) was regarded as the goddess of hunt, the goddess Artemis that was worshipped in Ephesus was regarded as the goddess of fertility. Hence, she was depicted with multiple breasts symbolyzing fertility and prosperity.
Diana of Ephesus Libya 1924 Printing – Error imperf between 10 cent
Attachments
Liby.JPG

Eli

Post by Eli »

Greek Mythology - Sculptures in Russian Palaces

A set of nine self adhesive stamps show sculpture from Russian palaces, representing Greek mythology figures, was issued by Russia in two parts on December 16, 2002 and December 5, 2003. I have four of them:

Aphrodite sculpture, Catherine Palace in Tsarskoye Selo, near St. Petersburg:

Russia 2002 Sculprures 4.jpg

Apollo Belvedere, Ostankino Palace, Moscow:

Russia 2002 Sculprures 1.jpg

Allegory of the god of the Scamander River, Kuskovo Park, Moscow:

Russia 2002 Sculprures 3.jpg

Samson fighting the Lion (Hebrew Mythology), Peterhof Palace, St. Petersburg:

Russia 2002 Sculprures 2.jpg

Will post the rest when I have them

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

CUPID

In classical mythology, Cupid is the god of desire, erotic love, attraction and affection. He is also known in Latin as Amor ("Love"). His Greek counterpart is Eros.

From my collection - 1904 Uruguay postage stamps
Cupid 1.JPG
1904 Plate Proof pair Uruguay
Cupid 2.JPG
1904 Colour trial Uruguay
Cupid 3.JPG
1904 Issued stamp with error of imperforate between vertically

Eli

Post by Eli »

Buddhist Mythical Creatures, issued by Thailand on October 3, 1976:

Kinnari:

Thailand 1976 Mi 817a.jpg

Suphan-Mat-Cha:

Thailand 1976 Mi 818a.jpg

Garuda:

Thailand 1976 Mi 819a.jpg

Naga Dragon:

Thailand 1976 Mi 820a.jpg

Thailand 1976 Mi 817-20a.jpg

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

HERMES

In myth, Hermes functioned as the emissary and messenger of the gods, and was often presented as the son of Zeus

From my collection - 1906 Liberia die proof:
Hermes.JPG
1906 Liberia engraved die proof on pelure paper

Eli

Post by Eli »

Sunken Die Proof in Monochrome signed by the engraver Jean Pheulpin for the stamp shows Hanuman Monkey-god issued by the Kingdom of Laos on October 28, 1955:

C15.jpg
Michel 44.jpg
Last edited by Eli on 25 Jul 2020 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Bacchus, god of agriculture and wine.

Greece stamp.
Attachments
bacc.JPG

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Apsara - Tonle Bati Temple - Cambodia

In Hindu mythology, the Apsara is one of the celestial singers and dancers who inhabit the heaven of the god Indra, the lord of the heavens. Originally water nymphs, the Apsaras provide sensual pleasure for both gods and men.

Here are three stamps from a set issued by Cambodia on July 30, 1996 show Apsara engravings from temple of Tonle Bati (near Phnom Penh):

Cambodia 1996 Tonle Bati 1.jpg

Cambodia 1996 Tonle Bati 2.jpg

Cambodia 1996 Tonle Bati 3.jpg

yakub99
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by yakub99 »

Thank you very much Eli for your kind words about my new website.
I would like to get more remarks from our friends in this thread.
I'm trying to build a website of greek-roman mythology. Till now I'm concentrating only on the "olympic gods".
I completed 4 olympic gods (Zeus, Hera, Poseidon,Hades) . From the page of Zeus you can go the 11 subcategories (Zeus and Europa, Zeus and Danae, Zeus and leda, .....) . Please go into the site and tell me what you think. If there are stamps that I didn't include and you know about them , please let me know. txs.

So here is the link:
to the website : https://dubi94.wixsite.com/itzik and click on the "olympic gods"
Direct to Zeus : https://dubi94.wixsite.com/itzik/about

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

yakub99 wrote:
26 Jul 2020 00:52
Thank you very much Eli for your kind words about my new website.
I would like to get more remarks from our friends in this thread.
I'm trying to build a website of greek-roman mythology. Till now I'm concentrating only on the "olympic gods".
I completed 4 olympic gods (Zeus, Hera, Poseidon,Hades) . From the page of Zeus you can go the 11 subcategories (Zeus and Europa, Zeus and Danae, Zeus and leda, .....) . Please go into the site and tell me what you think. If there are stamps that I didn't include and you know about them , please let me know. txs.

So here is the link:
to the website : https://dubi94.wixsite.com/itzik and click on the "olympic gods"
You are doing a great job, I know how much work is involved in this having done the same myself in the mid to late 2,000s for world explorers. After spending years of work the site was hijacked and hacked and destroyed and I never worried about doing it again. However I still have kept all the images, text, templates etc to do it again (perhaps when I retire from full time work!).

What I like best is how you show the original works of art, or location of sculptures etc, to link to the stamp designs, and give some history and educate the viewer. I think that is critical.

What I would like to see, is a "checklist" in country order of all the stamps you are showing. That is important to stamp collectors. So you could add a table of all the items you are showing (country, date of issue, catalogue numbers, value, description) for quick and easy checking against - more work I know - but that is what stamp collectors usually want.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

yakub99 wrote:
26 Jul 2020 00:52
From the page of Zeus you can go the 11 subcategories (Zeus and Europa, Zeus and Danae, Zeus and leda, .....) . Please go into the site and tell me what you think. If there are stamps that I didn't include and you know about them , please let me know. txs.

So here is the link:
1906 Greece ZEUS (and other Greek mythological gods)

From my collection:
Z2.JPG
Z1.JPG
1906 Greece Perkins Bacon Essay in Gold - issued stamp in blue

yakub99

Post by yakub99 »

Dear Drkklp
Thank you for your remarks.
I will consider to make a list for each page. (not so simple)
Country and year are beneath every stamp. (The most important).
About Greece 1906 - This stamp shows offering a sacrifice to the god Zeus before the start of the olympic games.
The persons are priests. I will not put it under Zeus. I'm planning to make a another site of "olympic games".
Thank you again for your positive approach.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

yakub99 wrote:
26 Jul 2020 17:11
Dear Drkklp
Thank you for your remarks.
I will consider to make a list for each page. (not so simple)
Country and year are beneath every stamp. (The most important).
About Greece 1906 - This stamp shows offering a sacrifice to the god Zeus before the start of the olympic games.
The persons are priests. I will not put it under Zeus. I'm planning to make a another site of "olympic games".
Thank you again for your positive approach.
Fair enough, you categorize as you see best thematically.

I just know how most "stamp collectors" by theme think having collected thematically various themes since the late 1970s. They love checklists "in order" so they can quickly scan them to see any gaps or anything that they are missing that might interest them. To go through a bunch of images is not the way they (we) think and operate. The images are more the beauty of expressing the theme and giving context to it with other information.

If your site becomes very large, it would be difficult to cross check the images in it (with no order) with someone's collection. Not impossible, just more time consuming. Just a tip that you are free to ignore or choose to do as it is your site and you are doing the work!

If you want to make your job easier (and to know what is out there from other sources), go to the below link as there are many Greek mythology checklists already done (which would be in the order I gave you before). Example Hermes/Mercury has 256 different stamps identified on their lists. It would depend on what date the lists go to as well.

If you are not a member of the American Topical Association, join, if you need to do so, to get the lists. Then you can resign!

http://americantopicalassn.org/pdf/checklists/alphabetical020117.pdf

Eli

Post by Eli »

Greek Mythology Images on Coins from Epirus - Moschopolis Issue
Wikipedia: The postal history of Northern Epirus, a region in the western Balkans, in southern modern Albania, comprises two periods; 1912–1916 and 1940-41. Northern Epirus was under Greek administration during the First Balkan War (1912–1913), but it was then awarded to the newly founded Albanian state by the Florence Protocol (1913). During this period, Greek stamps were used. Greece withdrew from the region in early 1914. The people of Epirus were unwilling to be part of Albania, though, and launched a revolution. Under a provisional government, the independent Northern Epirus was formed in February 1914 and it eventually managed to gain full autonomy under nominal Albanian sovereignty, according to the Protocol of Corfu (May 1914). Northern Epirus operated its own postal service and issued postage stamps, both official and unofficial, during that year.

Greek armies returned to occupy Epirus in November 1914, after the outbreak of World War I, but were driven out by Italian forces in 1916. During this time Greek stamps overprinted with B. ΗΠΕΙΡΟΣ (N. Epirus) were used. After the war, the region was confirmed as part of Albania.
Epirus briefly came under Greek control again in 1940, after Italy launched an invasion of Greece from Albania. A successful Greek counter-attack occupied much of southern Albania, including Epirus. This lasted until 1941, when Germany invaded and conquered Greece. As earlier, overprinted Greek stamps were used in Epirus during the period of Greek control.
Four unofficial issues were also produced in 1914. One of them, consists of 15 stamps, was produced in Moschopolis (Now Voskopojë in Albania) for publicity and propaganda purposes. It is regarded as Cinderella stamps by most collectors though cancelled specimens and examples of these stamps on covers exist.

Six stamps of the set show old coins. Since each figure on the coins appears in several different coins, I will describe the image only:

2- Head of Persephone with flowing hair and corn-wreath
Persephone,also called Kore, is the daughter of Zeus and Demeter. She is the goddess of the springtime, flowers and vegetation. She became the queen of the underworld through her abduction by Hades, the god of the underworld:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 2.jpg

Goddess Athena with spear and shield:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 4.jpg

Head of Zeus in oak-wreath:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 5.jpg

Nike, goddess of Victory, standing left, holding wreath:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 6.jpg

Dione with sceptre
Dione was a Titan goddess in Greek mythology, most probably a daughter of Oceanus and Tethys and thus, an Oceanid. According to some sources, she was the first wife of Zeus, with whom she had a daughter, the goddess Aphrodite:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 7.jpg

Unknown design to me:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 3.jpg

Nine stamps of the set show the coat of arms of Epirus in 1914:

Epirus 1914 Moschopolis 1.jpg

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Iris, in Greek mythology, the personification of the rainbow and a messenger of the gods.
iris.JPG
1939 France Iris die proof in brown on thin paper; "Flame rising to frame" variety in issued blue stamp

Eli

Post by Eli »

Near Eastern mythologies - Winged Creatures

Near Eastern mythologies are less represented in this thread, maybe few posts, simply because I not many stamps were issued and from those issued, I don't have a lot. In the coming month, I will post more about these mythologies. To start, here is a group of winged creatures from different Near Eastern mythologies:

Winged Assyrian bull, issued by Iraq in 1923:

Iraq 1923 Assyrian Bull.jpg

Phoenician winged lion (Sphinx), issued by Mali on August 24, 1994:

Mali 1994 sphinx a.jpg

Achaemenid Vessel handle in the form of a winged ibex or goat, 4th century BC, Louvre museum, Paris, issued by Iran on August 6, 1970:

Iran 1970 Iranian Empire aaa.jpg

Phoenician ivory Sphinx, 9th century BCE, Israel museum, Jerusalem, issued by Israel on october 26, 1966:

Israel Museum.jpg

Winged Horse, Iran, issued by Italy on November 27, 1958 to commemorate the visit of the Shah of Iran to Italy:

Italy 1958 Iran shah a.jpg

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

More Lamassu
lam1.JPG
Achaemenid Persian Empire; Cyrus the Great Iran and India stamps and postmark

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Garuda - Hindu Messenger Spirit
Angel_2.1ea.jpg
1940 Thailand Chakri Palace & Garuda;
Error: 5s green (due to cliche of 5s in plate of 3s)

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Garuda
Garuda.JPG
1953 Thailand airmail
Garuda1.JPG
1925 Thailand airmail

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RogerE »

More nice stamps here — thanks to those posting the images.
I especially like the Epirus stamps.

/RogerE :D

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, Roger! glad you like the thread in general and the Epirus set in particular. I hope you have seen the Iranian stamps I posted in the engraved thread. There is one of them related to Near Eastern mythologies. It is the 1949 stamp shows stone relief from Sasanian era, at Naqsh-e Rustam, Shiraz. The relief depicting Ardashir I's coronation ceremony in which he receives his kingship seal (diadem* of sovereignty) from Ahura Mazda (right, winged man), the creator and highest deity of Zoroastrianism. The literal meaning of the word Ahura is "lord", and that of Mazda is "wisdom". Here is the stamp and a photo of the relief:

Iran 1949 Avicenna set 2e.jpg

Ardashir.jpg

*A diadem is a type of crown, specifically an ornamental headband worn by monarchs and others as a badge of royalty. The word derives from the Greek διάδημα diádēma, "band" or "fillet".

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 08:57
Thanks DRKKLP for the stamps, didn't know about the error! ... Let me add something about the stamp image:

In the stamp Chakri Palace and Garuda is shown. Garuda is a legendary bird or bird-like creature in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology. He is described as the king of birds.

Garuda is variously the vehicle mount (vahana) of the Hindu god Vishnu, a dharma-protector and Astasena in Buddhism, and the Yaksha of the Jain Tirthankara Shantinatha.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

A new thread has been opened, everyone is invited there: :)

Share your Thailand related stamp items & covers here

Though I gave some other name (a big one :D), moderators changed it to this one

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

BlackTuesday wrote:
02 Aug 2020 13:56
DRKKLP wrote:
01 Aug 2020 08:57
Thanks DRKKLP for the stamps, didn't know about the error! ... Let me add something about the stamp image:

In the stamp Chakri Palace and Garuda is shown. Garuda is a legendary bird or bird-like creature in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology. He is described as the king of birds.

Garuda is variously the vehicle mount (vahana) of the Hindu god Vishnu, a dharma-protector and Astasena in Buddhism, and the Yaksha of the Jain Tirthankara Shantinatha.
Hi, this is not a common error in perfect condition, most tend to be toned to some degree.

You can also get undenominated proofs (both imperforate and perforated (although poorly so). These were Thailand's first stamp issue after renaming from Siam.
Thailand 2.JPG
Undenominated proof (value entered in pencil)
Thailand.JPG
Larger image of the value error
Thailand1.JPG
Full normal set

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

DRKKLP wrote:
02 Aug 2020 15:53
Hi, this is not a common error in perfect condition, most tend to be toned to some degree.

You can also get undenominated proofs (both imperforate and perforated (although poorly so). These were Thailand's first stamp issue after renaming from Siam.
Undenominated proof (value entered in pencil)

Larger image of the value error
Thanks DRKKLP! ... its an interesting error I must say!

If it has happened accidentally they should have destroyed those copies when detected. God knows how many copies do exist! If you find a news or article on this incident anywhere, I would very much love to read that!

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”