COBH RAILWAY STATION.
The station opened 10 March 1862 and was closed for goods traffic on 3 November 1975.
It began life as the terminus of the Cobh (then Queenstown) section of the Cork, Youghal & Queenstown Railway.
The present station occupies only a small part of the old station building. The original station was expanded
greatly during the latter part of the 19th century as it served what was then Ireland's largest emigration port
which was also an important way-point as the last port between Western Europe and North America. The station
was also the main receiving centre for mails for Ireland and Britain from the United States and Canada. Mail
would be brought by ship to Cobh, processed and forwarded by mail express trains to Kingstown (now Dún
Laoghaire) on the outskirts of Dublin and on to Holyhead. This was faster than conveying by ship directly to
It is famous for being the station where hundreds of survivors of the RMS Lusitania disaster left the town of Cobh after surviving the sinking.
With the development and growth of transatlantic air traffic Cobh lost its importance as a mail and passenger
centre. A significant part of the train station remained largely unused until the opening of the Cobh Heritage
Centre in the front part of the station in the 1980s. At that time the station was also reduced to a single platform.
The freight yard of the station has now become a public carpark while another part of the station has become a
covered carpark for Cobh Garda Station.