Share your USED blocks of Australia KANGAROO stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

Darkice
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Share your USED blocks of Australia KANGAROO stamps

Post by Darkice »

Two I have posted else-where..

SA Square Postmark of "Waterloo"

SA Square Postmark of "Penneshaw"

More to come..
Love this place!

Lesley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Lesley »

Thanks to all who post in this forum, have a additional block 2/- Small multiple water mark.2L3,4 and 2L9,10

Block is a bit tatty (bottom left stamp missing a chunk ) but what made me buy it was the Right two stamps. 2L4,10 being :

2L4 BW 39(2) e "Nick in right frame opposite top W.A and:

2L10 39(2) fb" White dog leg flaw retouched" state 1.

Thanks ,

Les :D

search4d
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by search4d »

Hi

I have an interest in this piece because it has block of 4 4d Olive KGV stamps that have the paquebot cancel etc.

I do note some of the 6d Roos have the cut in the top frame.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Search4d .. what a truly amazing piece!

==============

I know we are mostly discussing used BLOCKS but this nice strip 3 I listed here today, so thought I'd add it here before it gets mailed to someone!

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=61034

Wonderful VFU strip Third Watermark scarce Die 2A, with clear cds of “yackandandah” Victoria, and clear date of “9 JA:20”.

Also a VFU clean well centred pair “BAIRNSDALE NOV 4 : 19 VICTORIA”

Yackandandah very small little town in Victoria - that was known for Gold Mining - near Beechworth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yackandandah

Pairs uncommon and strips 3 are highly sought – a 6d Roo would normally have been used of course. 5 nice stamps – ACSC #8

kuelap
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by kuelap »

Just out of interest I went back and looked online at over 108 auctions from Prestige, Spink, Phoenix, Mossgreen, Siegel, Shreves back to 2001 to see how many used blocks were actually sold.

The idea being where possible to download and compare scans of used blocks and avoid double counting. I did not look at any current dealer stock online.

I think that some denominations sold more through dealers than auctions such as the First Watermark 1d and the Third Watermark 1 Shilling due to their lower perceived value.

I would also add a special thanks to Gary Watson for keeping his archive going at Prestige. It made the search much easier. There is a lot of information to consider, but here goes:

1st watermark
Denomination Quantity Comments
1/2d 3 No photos seen. 1 block OS
1d DieI 8 Often sold in batches. 1 block of 4 on First Day Cover. CDS "Cancelled" block of 8.
Block of 18 in Gray sale. 1 block 6 CDS Charters Towers. Several CTO Melbourne.
1d DieII 4 Often sold in batches. 1 block large OS, double perf.
1d DieIIA 7 1 block of 6 1 block of 10, 1 block of 12.
2d 5 1 CDS photo seen. 3 CTO Melbourne blocks.
3d 10 1 inverted watermark block.
3d DieII 1 1 block of 18 from Gray sale (15/18 Die II)
4d 6 1 block 10 large OS. 1 block 10 OS NSW. 1 block Wellington CDS. 1 Bris CTO.
5d 3 1 block 8. 1 CTO Melbourne with Monogram.
6d 7 3 blocks Bris CTO.
9d 5 1 block large OS. 1 block CTO Melbourne.
1/- 10 1 block OS NSW. 1 block large OS. 1 block JBC Mono CTO Melbourne. 1 block 15 small OS. 1 block on cover.
2/- 6 1 block 12 CTO Melbourne Monogram. Marginal block 8 CTO Bris (now split into 2). 3 CTO Melbourne. No CDS blocks seen.
5/- 5 1 CTO Melbourne CoA Monogram. 1 CTO Melbourne JBC Monogram. 2 large OS blocks. 1 CDS block.
10/- 1 1 CTO Brisbane.
1£ 0
2£ 0

So, it gives us an idea of the relative scarcity of used blocks for the first watermark. I know it is not complete because it is limited by material held in collections over that period, and the unavailability of information from some auction houses that do not archive, or their material is difficult to access.

Now, the challenge is to calculate a real value compared to a single used stamp.

Logic would say that they are not just 4 times.

Geoff
Last edited by Global Administrator on 09 Feb 2015 19:46, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

kuelap wrote:
Logic would say that they are not just 4 times.
No Kidding. :mrgreen:

It is instructive to look at a Swiss or German catalogue. Used blocks are cat sometimes HUNDREDS of times a used single. :idea:

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

kuelap wrote:So, it gives us an idea of the relative scarcity of used blocks for the first watermark... Now, the challenge is to calculate a real value compared to a single used stamp.
So all you need to do first is go through every auction or sale since 2001 and note all singles, pairs and strips. Then we'll get a relative scarcity. Don't forget to separately note used/mint! :wink: :)

On a slightly more serious note, did you check other categories like postal history for blocks or are they always only shown unde the Kangaroo headings?

kuelap

Post by kuelap »

Glen,

Interesting that the Europeans have used blocks priced in their catalogues, but, in spite of a long running discussion, it hasn't happened in Australia yet.

If we can get a better grasp of what is really out there then that will help towards defining a higher market value.

As you well know, the auction prices realised for some blocks are lower than would make sense. Prices may well only take off once we actually see a value in the ACSC...
Last edited by Global Administrator on 10 Feb 2015 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing

kuelap

Post by kuelap »

ewen s.

Yes, it is a massive task to go through them all, and I have a day job! But something I am interested in finishing.

With regards to blocks on covers, I did note a few in the stamp sections of the auctions. But there could be others hiding in the postal history sections. It would be great to see other auction houses maintaining photographic archives as well in order to give us a "living resource".

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Hope this block keeps thing moving .

Die 1 plate A , upper R51,52, lower R57, 58. 3rd April 1913.

Les :D

danski99
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by danski99 »

An item on ebay that might interest you Roo block aficionados... (I have no vested interest, just passing on sth that might interest others...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG-135-5-grey-yellow-Block-of-4-La ... 6602&rt=nc

Will leave someone else to extract the image and scan it here, if it merits it.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

danski99 wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG-135-5-grey-yellow-Block-of-4-La ... 1284825077

We INSIST you always do that please as in 2 weeks when it scrolls off ebay forever, your post means absolutely nothing to anyone. :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

For the PERMANENT record, it sold for $A280 after 21 bids starting at 99p.

4 average centred singles retail about $60, so being in block form it got about FOUR TIMES more than 4 singles. :idea:

As one day will all used Roo blocks, of values above letter rates. :mrgreen:

Glen

danski99

Post by danski99 »

Hi Glen

Wrist-slap regarding protocol noted.

And I get the principle. Just that I was very busy at the time, too busy to post at all really - but wanted to alert those here for whom it was of interest in the belief that someone who was might be able to post the image.

Sorry that the task fell to you, as I realise you spend a lot of time you'd rather not sprucing up threads.

Needless to say I'll endeavour to post images not just links henceforth.

Aye aye,

Dan

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Dan, yes capturing those interesting ebay lots is good policy, and will then be here for years as relevant examples of actual sales. No harm done, as all safely copied above. :)

Whilst posting here, I did find this on my desk to add to the data base. and was scanning it tonight up for stock. Looks far better in the flesh than the scan, but an unusually light parcel cancel, on a 1919 1/- Dull Blue Green, ACSC 33c in otherwise amazing fault free condition, for heavy postal use. :mrgreen:

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Global Administrator wrote:
danski99 wrote:

We INSIST you always do that please as in 2 weeks when it scrolls off ebay forever, your post means absolutely nothing to anyone. :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4 average centred singles retail about $60, so being in block form it got about FOUR TIMES more than 4 singles. :idea:

Glen
Glen ,is that top right stamp possibly "elongated spencer's gulf ? may add a few dollars.

Les :mrgreen:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Lesley - looks like it .. here is a mint one I sold recently of the 5/- Kagaroo stamp - "ACSC constant Variety, “Spencer’s Gulf Elongated And Curved” - ACSC 45(D)h "

Glen

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

A most striking example Glen, I need to save up my "pocket money" !! :lol:

Les :mrgreen:

kuelap

Post by kuelap »

Here is a block I saw on Phoenix Auctions from March 2014. Does anybody have know what context the purple "Cancelled" frankings were used in?

kuelap

Post by kuelap »

Here is a C of A 10 shilling block.

kuelap

Post by kuelap »

I was looking at some old threads on this site where Glen was discussing prices for used blocks from Norway and Switzerland.

The point that stood out is that for at least some of their old high values, the total amount of used blocks in existence is known.

So, I wonder, if we could at least get to this step with respect to the Roos? Then it may help towards defining a value to include in future catalogues.

A way to start could be to work backwards with the 1st watermark higher values. When I did a review of past auction results that are still online, I did NOT find any 1 or 2 Pound used blocks.

I found 1 10 Shilling block CTO Brisbane (Glen has posted this a couple of times). There were 5 used 5 Shilling blocks, of which 2 were CTO Melbourne.

I assume that there are others out there. Please let me know. Otherwise, for the first watermark 10 Shilling, from an issue of 237,360, we can say there is perhaps one CTO block, and zero postal used?

For the 5 shilling, for the same 237,360 total issued, there are just 3 postal used, and 2 CTO? When you consider such small numbers, there is a strong case for used blocks warranting a substantial premium!

Note that I am not fortunate enough to be the proud owner of any of the above blocks, but the subject is fascinating.
Last edited by AMark on 01 Feb 2018 06:34, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added many pars, much spacing and AIR!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

kuelap wrote:When I did a review of past auction results that are still online, I did NOT find any 1 or 2 Pound used blocks.
There is a used 1913 £2 Block 4 on front cover of ACSC. :)

And there is at least one postally used block 4 of the £1 Brown and Blue Kangaroo stamp as I wrote about at the time -
https://www.glenstephens.com/sndecember08.html

It is certainly true that virtually EVERY Australia stamp from 1913 to the present date EXISTS in postally used blocks - even high values like these £2.

Arthur Gray and I discussed this on Adelaide this month, and he agrees with me there are very few instances where no used blocks are recorded - and even then we are only guessing they are not out there.

The £1 Leski block shown nearby was used in 1923 and first surfaced on the market this month – 85 years after being used.

But just try finding them if you start collecting them.

Right now, few bother. For years I have been urging the editor and publisher of the ACSC to do so at some point, and I feel sure they will one day.

It will give added reason for folk to buy each new edition of catalogues and will not take any more space or pages than they now do, as they simply add the universal cross hair block symbol to all current listings.

I have discussed this with leading dealers and all agree the demand for used blocks is increasing all the time.

Richard Juzwin told me in Adelaide he fully agrees the market under-values such material at present, and that he is actively buying it whenever he sees it on offer, and hopes the ACSC lists them if future.

Juzwin told me he was the under-bidder on this used block of £1 Kangaroos shown nearby at Leski’s October 6th sale in Melbourne.

The stamps are 3rd watermark, and was invoiced to the buyer at just on $A20,000. As 4 singles they would sell for about a QUARTER of that.

Charles Leski told me the vendor bought these blocks in to show him, housed in a cheap $5 type Chinese stockbook.

This block had been in the family for decades and never sold for 3 generations, so had presumably been soaked off a parcel at the time of receipt in 1923.

An equally nice looking £1 FIRST watermark used block came up at a stamp auction in Wales UK a couple of years back, and I know myself, Simon Dunkerley and Tony Shields and several others all bid strongly on it, only to see Stanley Gibbons outbid us all.

Most of the Kangaroos are known in used blocks, and the archive sales offered the First Watermark bi-colour high values up to £2 in used blocks with Brisbane cancels, several of which I have sold since.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

kuelap wrote:...The point that stood out is that for at least some of their old high values, the total amount of used blocks in existence is known.

So, I wonder, if we could at least get to this step with respect to the Roos? Then it may help towards defining a value to include in future catalogues.

...For the 5 shilling, for the same 237,360 total issued, there are just 3 postal used, and 2 CTO? When you consider such small numbers, there is a strong case for used blocks warranting a substantial premium!
I don't understand that.

You say knowing the amount of used blocks extant would help in defining a value to include in a catalogue. Why wouldn't you just look at the prices realised for the ones you have found? Surely market value is determined by what premium punters have been prepared to pay, not by how many exist.

Darkice

Post by Darkice »

This just sold for $A160 on E-bay described as:

Rare 1913- Australia Block of 1 d Red Kangaroo stamps "
pre printing fold variety "
Used , First Watermark , Top 2 stamps have large crease
created by pre paper fold before printing. From Right hand
side of sheet. Left hand top stamp has corner perf missing. Fold has been reinforced at back with hinge
material. A spectacular variety.

Thoughts?
Love this place!

kuelap

Post by kuelap »

HI Ewen S.

Just putting the entry in the catalogue for a used block will attract attention, and I believe that it would increase the prices achieved. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on your viewpoint. I believe that it would help to know the amount of blocks on the market, just as we know the number of monograms in circulation for most of the Roos above 2 Shillings. I agree with the old chestnut that “knowledge is power”, so knowing the number of blocks out there, adds to the knowledge base…on Stampboards at least.

bill2t
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by bill2t »

A rough block of 6 SG3 complete with crayon marks.[url=https://imgur.com/FhA7MLI]Image[/url]

And a nice pair of SG1 with an interesting cancel.Image

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Here's an item you don't see every day. A first watermark £2 block of 8 with Tele punctures and clear "Telephone Accounts" cancels from a bulk payment.

The top unit on the right hand side is Pos. L17 and so has the flaw "White flaw in Bight" BW55(D)f:

The unpunctured singles including the flaw have a cat. value of $43,000, but the punctures will degrade it to about 20% to 25% of that. However, blocks of any Roo's are getting more collectable and with the highest denomination on first watermark this must be fairly rare in a block of 8. I can't recall seeing a similar block.

Anyone care to give me an estimate on this one :?:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Tony pretty bad centering, unattractive postmarks, and many of them look really stuffed - I assume you do not have it, or you'd offer a decent scan here?

"How Badly stuffed" will be the real determinant on price, and until you see it, hard to say. 8)

You are right though, blocks these days are seldom seen, and as 8 singles these would be near friendless, at even a few $100 apiece average as spacefillers, but the block will probably get quite a few $1000 for sure. :mrgreen:

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

I scanned it at 600dpi as it was on an exhibit page which makes it less clearer than if it was scanned just on it's own.

The page it is on had some black material behind the block to highight the punctures, pity they didn't extend it to the edge of the block as that would show up the perf edges better. I don't have the page itself at present but I'll try and load some clearer part images from the scan here tonight.

There has been some damage I guess partly because it had been floated off the document it was on. There's a couple of separations along the perfs and some edge perf damage for sure.

Still an unusual item.
Tony

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Here's the top 4 scan from the above block:

And the bottom 4 scan:

Tony

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

OK what looked like bad scuffs on top and lower pairs, is now you give more details, cello reflection, and they are not nearly as gruesome as they appeared in the little pic. 8)

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Time for another post ! Block 1/- die 11B 3rd water mark and cheap! Two scuff marks and short perfs. But hard to come by in 3rd water mark.

les :D

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Two more 3rd water mark and a "O S"

Les 8)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Not a Roo sadly, but this 10/- 'Tablet' was replaced by the 10/- Roo, and a used block of that would be $10,000 if one existed, and I do not believe one does.

Put it into stock today and I bet this too is unique at less than 10% of the Roo price. :lol:

Has anyone, even at auction, seen a 10/- 1913 postally USED Roo Block 4?

Tasmania 1892 10/- QV “Tablet”: Likely Unique USED Block 4: Never in 35 years of dealing, have I ever seen a Used Block 4 of this super high value. The beautiful London printed De La Rue Bi-Colour Definitive. Zeehan was a mining boom town on the remote West Coast, and this would have franked a heavy parcel of Silver no doubt.

£2 was a fortune then, in this 1d post First Class Letter era - this was 480 of those stamps - $720 in today’s money. In this period Zeehan was known as “The Silver City”. The ZEEHAN Post Office came into being in 1890. SG 224, £480 as 4 singles, and I’d bet, 100% UNIQUE as a used block. Indeed even MINT bocks of the 2 high values are very rare.

Great eye candy appeal, nicely centred, great perfs, bold deep original unfaded colours, no usual rust spots, and wonderful crisp cds of “ZEEHAN DEC 18 : 00 Tasmania”. This exact printing was on sale state-wide until 1905, so is most certainly an “Australia Commonwealth” stamp. (Stock 716EK)

Andy McPandy
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Andy McPandy »

All 1st wmk.

2d die1

2½d die11 - 2L2 to 2L5

1/- die11
The preview button is my friend.

Andy McPandy

Post by Andy McPandy »

Both 3rd wmk.

2d die1

6d die11B - 3R5, 3R6, 3R11 and 3R12
Last edited by Andy McPandy on 27 Oct 2016 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Andy McPandy

Post by Andy McPandy »

1/- Small Multiple die 11B

9d CofA die 11B

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

Remembering that blocks of used roos were pretty scarce, I picked this up today for £13 SG3 in a nice fine used block of 8- 1 stamp is damaged but otherwise it is sound

Lundy :D

Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Recent acquisition 6d Chestnut, Third water mark.

Cheers,

Les

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Listed this up here today for $45 - :mrgreen:
1913 1d Roo perf OS block FOUR on parcel fragment.

Die 1 first printing, and a remarkable used group of FIVE x 1d Reds, and not the single 5d Brown that was printed for this exact rate, which was for double weight foreign letters. ACSC lists a single used 1d Large OS on piece or cover at $150 – have you ever seen a BLOCK 4 thus?! Even 5 singles OFF piece are cat over $45!

Many readers know my views on postally used pre-Decimal Australia blocks of 4, and how they will all potentially greatly increase in value in quite short order - https://tinyurl.com/Glen4-16 - most especially the Kangaroos. :idea:

Most are scarce, and many are truly RARE. You could spend all day, and phone EVERY dealer in the book, and ask if they have a 1923 6d Roo postally used block in stock, at ANY price, even $65, and the answer will be “NO”. Ask them if they have a used 5/- Harbour Bridge, and they ALL have one of those at $225 or so! Join up the dots. One is TRULY scarce, and the other is not! :mrgreen:

When the ACSC finally prices them in used BLOCKS, as they are in the Europe catalogues, the prices will go insane, as very few exist of these.

Many major European basic catalogues as a matter of course, list stamps mint, used, FDC, on cover and in USED blocks of 4. Look at a Swiss/Liechtenstein Zumstein catalogue, or the leading Italian or Scandinavian catalogues etc, and you will rapidly see what I mean. 8)

Even the Stanley Gibbons Specialised catalogues for GB, list and price near all pre-war issues from 1840, in used blocks of 4. So it can be done here, and it should be done here.

Stamps worth peanuts as singles, are often worth a FORTUNE in a postally used block, in many European markets. Swiss stamps issued in the Kangaroo era can catalogue 500 times as much in a used block, as for a used single.

The 1914 3Fr Jungfrau is in the basic Zumstein catalogue I have at 3,250 SFr a used block, but only 8 SFr for a used single. Many Kangaroos should rate similar high multiples like that in blocks. But right now they sell in blocks for 5 or 10 times a single stamp! :idea:

The same rarity level applies in some Australian stamps of course. But NOT the prices - YET. The market leading Facit catalogue does the same for Sweden and Scandinavia area stamps, and has done for 100+ years.

In a recent Facit catalogue, the common old cheapie Sweden 1858 12 öre blue Arms (Facit #9) is priced at “x 500” for a block of four. That stamp is 18 SEK for the cheapest shade for a used single, but 9,000 SEK for a used block of four of the cheapest shade. :mrgreen:

Useful piece with clear near cds of “PADDINGTON - 2 SP 13 – NSW”. A few small blemishes as expected on something that went overseas, but this will pay for a beer and Pizzas tonight!

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

As previously posted on the more general thread

A slightly munted bottom right corner, but how often do you see a block of 12 used?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Lower right simply a bent over perf it look like to me. :lol:

Use a dozen x 1d to pay a 1/- parcel was pretty weird, and using a block 6 x 2d also to pay 1/- was not far behind!

Added this very cool Large ''OS" piece to stock today - 495EK - really unusual with boxed ''LATE FEE'' cancels. :mrgreen:

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Thought I would add my few on the thread :)

SMW 1/ Roos well centered

CA 2/Roos on piece

Looks like 3rd wmk 6d OS on piece

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Australia 1932 6d Roo CofA Used BLOCK OF 4.

Put this into stock today - stock 716AJ. The 6d CofA is near THE scarcest Roo under 5/- … but not that many recognise that. It was on sale for only 5 weeks, before the 6d Red Brown Large Kookaburra was issued, which then sold 43 MILLION copies!

This 6d Chestnut Roo replaced the identical looking 6d Small Multiple watermark in 1932, and no advance notice was given to anyone of this watermark change. Hence no FDCs of course are known of this stamp.

Issued April 20, 1932 and replaced by the 6d Kooka on June 1 – just 5 weeks later. This was the height of the Great Depression and buying higher face value stamps was the last thing on anyone’s mind.

The 1929 Small Multiple Watermark 6d this replaced, had 13 times more stamps printed, yet retail today of both is around the same - insane. And the 6d brown Third Watermark had 25 times more printed!

SG 132 Cat £168=$A330 as 4 SINGLES – same price Mint or used actually, and used are actually scarcer in my 40 year experience. And a used Block of 4, I DEFY you to show me another on offer globally at ANY price! Clean block with typical 1930s GPO Parcel Post cancel.

A single 2/- was of course the obvious franking for a 2/- postal fee. Never 4 x 6d! And 2/- stamps were stocked at every PO.

Glen

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Global Administrator wrote:
24 Feb 2015 23:55
danski99 wrote:

Glen

Well if this one above got $280 years back - this WELL CENTRED one I just listed from a near deserted Gold Mining Ghost Town for the same money is worth my $250 asking price!

Roo 5sh CofA Block 4.jpg

5/- Kangaroo, cds used BLOCK 4 Gold Mining town “CUE - WA” cds: In 45 years of dealing, cannot recall owning a postally used 5/- Block 4 - POs had 10/- and £1 on hand of course. This £1 was a week’s wages in the height of The Great Depression. I’ve had a few CTO blocks, but never postal. Many readers know my views on postally used pre-Decimal Australia blocks of 4, and how they will all potentially greatly increase in value in quite short order - www.tinyurl.com/Glen4-16 - most especially the higher values.

Most are scarce, and many are truly RARE. You could spend all day, and phone EVERY dealer in the book, and ask if they have a 1923 6d Roo postally used block in stock, at ANY price, even $100, and the answer will be “NO”. Ask them if they have a single used 5/- Harbour Bridge, and they ALL have one of those at $250 or so! Join up the dots. One is TRULY scarce, and the other is not!

Clean and attractive, with a central “CUE - 23 OC 35 - W.A.” Now basically a ghost town with under 200 people, but it was a Gold Mining powerhouse in the Murchison region in 1800s. This was on a parcel of Gold Bullion, almost certainly. WELL CENTRED. A few plate vars evident too. Show me another BLOCK 4! $A275 (Stock 382JX)

Catweazle
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Catweazle »

Sharing a couple of recent buys, for the record. Mostly lower values, though. I was too slow on Glen's 5/- block last year! :oops:

AUD$75 each + fees e.t.c. for Lots #978 and #991 in Status' recent auction.

2d Grey Die I block of 6 3rd Wmk (LL stamp variety 'scratch off coast at Albany)
2d Grey Die I block of 6 3rd Wmk (LL stamp variety 'scratch off coast at Albany)

6d Ultramarine Die II 3rd Wmk
6d Ultramarine Die II 3rd Wmk

And some other ones for about $30 each:
1/- Blue-green Die I perf OS 3rd Wmk
1/- Blue-green Die I perf OS 3rd Wmk

6d Chestnut ACSC 22B Small Multi
6d Chestnut ACSC 22B Small Multi

6d Chestnut perf OS Small Multi with "Parliament House" postmark
6d Chestnut perf OS Small Multi with "Parliament House" postmark

C of A 2/- Kangaroo Used Block of 8
C of A 2/- Kangaroo Used Block of 8

Small Multi 1/- Block of 6
Small Multi 1/- Block of 6

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

6d Chestnut perf OS Small Multi with "Parliament House" postmark - a nice looking item. :) :)

Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Some nice half penny blocks on the previous page from
Austcollect
A few I have, in MUH
Attachments
IMG_20210915_113140.jpg
IMG_20210915_113121.jpg
IMG_20210915_113356.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Jezza, in Mount Gambier 'Mint' stamps might be regarded as 'used' stamps I am sure, but please NOTE the thread heading.

And for the umpteenth time, you are AGAIN advised to READDDDDDDDDDDDD the tutorial on how to add ATTACHED images inline to threads, and practice it here first perhaps -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770

If you ever used the 'PREVIEW' button, all of this would be obvious to you, as well as your always jammed up and non-flowing text. :idea:

Admin

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”