Sharing my early Maldive Islands philately (pre-1970)

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Sharing my early Maldive Islands philately (pre-1970)

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: Political Relations with USA

I discovered that the U.S. Office of the Historian has a public website listing
United States’ History of Recognition, Diplomatic, and Consular Relations, by Country, since 1776.
Here is the entry for the Maldives:
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 7.36.03 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 7.31.44 pm.png
https://history.state.gov/countries/maldives
/RogerE :D

Panterra
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Panterra »

maldives-44-cvr-b.jpg
maldives-44-cvr-a.jpg
Maldive Islands 1944 cover to India, censored.

"Careless talk costs lives."

mistakenly inscribed as "Careless talks cost lives."

Careless talk propaganda discouraged talking about sensitive material where it could be overheard by spies, showing either an Axis eavesdropper or depicting a death caused by such information leaking.  It was also intended to prevent morale-sapping rumours from spreading.  The first posters were illustrated by "Fougasse" (Cyril Bird), a comic artist. After concluding that such talk was not a serious source of intelligence, and would often be dismissed as a plant, the campaign was not increased.

This also was the theme of the film The Next of Kin.
Notice that the sender gives her address as "Fish Bazaar, Male." That must have been a rather odoriferous locale to live in!

Wikipedia wrote:Jamnagar is a city located on the western coast of India in the state of Gujarat in Saurashtra region. It is the administrative headquarters of the Jamnagar district. Jamnagar is the largest city on the westernmost side of India and is the fifth largest city of Gujarat state after Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, and Rajkot.

The modern look of the city was initially given by Jamsaib. He was instrumental in building the modern infrastructure of the city during his reign in the 1920s. Thereafter, the city was substantially developed by Jam Saheb Shri Digvijaysinhji Ranjitsinhji in the 1940s, when it was part of the Princely state of Nawanagar. The city lies just to the south of the Gulf of Kutch, some 337 km west of the state capital, Gandhinagar.

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks Panterra for showing us the cover to Jamnagar.
See also the earlier post showing a cover to Jamnagar:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=247

The maps of Saurashtra included in an earlier post show Jamnagar on the coast, along with destinations of various other covers franked with the Minaret stamps:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=67
Comments on the cover to Jamnagar
(a) Back
Maldives 1944 cover to Jamnagar, India<br />Franked with 3¢ and 5¢ minaret stamps of the 1933 series (SG 12, 13)
Maldives 1944 cover to Jamnagar, India
Franked with 3¢ and 5¢ minaret stamps of the 1933 series (SG 12, 13)
Sealed with censor tape of Examiner L/44 — probably censored in Bombay
Maldives circular date stamp 6.VII.44 = 6 Jul 1944
Jamnagar boxed rectangular arrival stamp 6 AUG 44/8.30am flanked with patriotic V = Victory
(b) Front
Address side
Address side
Top right: Letter in Gujurati [spelling-challenged]
Octagonal framed C 5 = postage due marking, 5 centimes
— at double deficiency (rounded up), this suggests that the correct postage would have been 10¢.
Recipient: Mohamedali Adamjee [=Adamji] Varpar
"c/o Fish" deleted — erroneous, actually start of sender's address
c/o Modiwar In... door [Business name]
Jamnagar is in the Kathiawad peninsula of Gujarat.
Sender: Fr = From, Faherali Mohamedali Varpar — a son of the recipient(?)
Sender's address: c/o Fish Bazaar, Mala = Malé, Maldevi = Maldives
(Ceylon) = letters to/from the Maldives travel via Colombo, Ceylon
Fish are one of the abundant natural food sources of the Maldives, so the Fish Bazaar in Malé would have been an important place for locals to buy their food. It was probably populated with a number of stall-holders. Even though Panterra might find the smell of fish unattractive, if he were used to having fish as a significant part of his daily diet he might find the smell familiar, and perhaps even enjoyable because of its dietary association.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1968: Scouting

In an earlier post I showed the 1968 Scouting set issued by the Maldives, together with a first day cover and (overlapped) set of sheetlets.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=173
I have now acquired another first day cover = FDC. It's interesting to see how nearly identical are the two covers. The latest acquisition (#1) is shown first, the earlier one (#2, originally at post link 173) is shown below it. An exercise in "Spot the Differences"!
Maldives, 1968: Scouting FDC #1
Maldives, 1968: Scouting FDC #1
Maldives, 1968: Scouting FDC #2
Maldives, 1968: Scouting FDC #2
One wonders what actual procedure was used to produce these covers — was it entirely manual, or was there some mechanisation involved as well? And how many were produced? Was there a single clerk involved, at a quiet desk in a back room of the General Post Office, quietly tearing up the sheets of stamps into singles, moistening them with a sponge, mounting them on the covers, and then inking the date stamp and applying it twice in almost identical places on the covers? How else might it have happened?

Footnote: Did you notice there are even subtle differences in the cachets of the two covers?

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Malé to Jamnagar Cover: Revisited

A friend with relevant expert knowledge has kindly shared some corrections to my recent comments on the 1944 cover sent to Jamnagar. Here are the main clarifications/corrections.

(a) Back
maldives-44-cvr-b.jpg
Censor tape L/44 is a Morenweiser type 7A2 label.
It was applied in Ceylon/Sri Lanka, not India.
• From Oct 1940, L denoted the censor station in Colombo/Kolamba (කොළඹ); 44 is the individual censor.
• The rectangular Jamnagar marking (5cm×2.5cm) is a
Bayanwala type Sl-97 = Cartwright type A29(c) marking.
It is a slogan delivery mark, not an arrival marking.
Known period of usage of this type: 5 Jul 1943 – 20 Mar 1947.
(b) Front
maldives-44-cvr-a.jpg
• The octagonal C5 steel stamp is actually an Indian censor mark, not a postage due marking.
• From May 1941, C denoted the censor station in Bombay/Mumbai.
The octagonal C5 is a Morenweiser type 7A censor mark;
censor number 5 (known numbers in the range 3–76).
This marking type indicates that the cover was not opened or further censored.
How good to have expert input!

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

maldives-35-cvr.jpg
Maldive Islands 1935 cover to USA.

This cover gives the impression of being "concocted", probably by the American philatelist it is addressed to. I doubt that the sophisticated typewriter was located in Malé, and suspect that the collector prepared the envelope himself then sent it along with a Reply Coupon to the Postmaster at Malé, requesting some stamps be affixed to send it back to him.

As this was prior to the era of the Maldives' unfortunate flirtation with the IGPC and the subsequent issuing of exorbitant numbers of over-priced commemoratives, only definitives were available for the envelope.

It is interesting to note that the Ceylon datestamp shows that they received the letter just 4 days after it was posted at Malé. This seems remarkably prompt service. Sadly, there is no arrival datestamp for Oakland.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Interesting speculation by Panterra about the typewriter used to address that Maldives cover to Oakland, California.

The absence of any US arrival marking is not surprising. Only if the letter had been registered, or needed to be collected from the recipient's post office for some reason, back stamping would be expected.

I find the clarity of both postmarks exceptional, especially the Maldivian one — if you look back at other covers with Minaret franking in this thread, there is no other with post marks anything close to the clarity of the one shown here. Also it seems exceptional that the Ceylonese transit hand stamp is on the cover at all, let alone on the front rather than the back. Only registered covers could be expected to receive a transit hand stamp in Ceylon. The earlier Minaret covers in this thread are indexed at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=233
So, along with Panterra, I have doubts about the legitimacy of this cover.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1957 Philatelic Cover

Here is an unaddressed cover displaying the eight Harbour View definitives of the 1956 set. (The absent three stamps of the set are the three Fort definitives, which have rupee face values.)
Maldives 1957 unaddressed philatelic cover, <br />Harbour View definitives (SG 32-39)
Maldives 1957 unaddressed philatelic cover,
Harbour View definitives (SG 32-39)
The circular date stamps on this cover show the date 7-IX.57 = 7 Sep 1957. They are very clear, so have evidently been applied with care. Unlike the "1935" cover to California, this unaddressed philatelic cover makes no pretense to having passed through the regular mailstream.

By contrast, the 1960 parcel piece shown earlier, franked with Harbour View definitives, has date stamps applied in the course of passing through the mailstream. They are relatively unclear, especially the date portion, while the outer circular frame of each strike is clear enough to serve the purpose of cancelling the stamps.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=38

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1974 Souvenir Cover

As noted previously, although this thread is focussed on Maldivian stamp issues up to 1970, the postal history dimensions of Maldivian philately beyond 1970 continue to be interesting (and items are relatively difficult to find).

With that reminder, here is a "souvenir cover" from 1974. The cover is purely philatelic, unaddressed, neatly cancelled, and franked with a symmetric arrangement of lowest valued commemoratives of the period.

The cover was no doubt made to sell to tourists visiting the Maldives. It would not really attract serious stamp collectors, but would be a "happy souvenir" for tourists/visitors with a slight interest in stamps. Hence my ranking as a category (2) cover, on the six point scale defined at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=123
Maldives: unaddressed souvenir cover with circular date stamps <br />MALE MALDIVES 20NOV1974
Maldives: unaddressed souvenir cover with circular date stamps
MALE MALDIVES 20NOV1974
The circular date stamp used on this cover is interesting. Its wording MALE MALDIVES is presented in circular format. It has an outer circular frame but, unlike earlier date stamps, it has no inner circle and no fancy scroll for the date portion.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Banknotes (1947 = 1367 series)

Let's move sideways from philately to numismatics for the next few posts. The thread has already shown some Maldivian coins and banknotes.

Regarding the coins, we can imagine using them to buy some of the stamps shown in this thread. Regarding the banknotes, some different impressions are given. First, it is impressive to see how elaborate and artistic they are. Second, the subjects depicted give us insight into Maldivian culture, and the items/objects that are held to be emblematic of that culture. Third, the elaborate geometrical decorations in the borders of those note designs show us some of the Maldivian artistic heritage.

The next few posts will show more of the banknotes. To begin, here are some of the 1947 issue.
Maldives, ½ rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1947=1367 issue (reverse: blank)
Maldives, ½ rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1947=1367 issue (reverse: blank)
Maldives, 1 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 1 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 1 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 1 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 2 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 2 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 2 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 2 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 5 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 5 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 5 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 5 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 10 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 10 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 10 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1947=1367 issue
Maldives, 10 rupee/rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1947=1367 issue
The palm and dhow are used as a common image on the obverse of the banknotes, ahead of the reappearance of that subject in the 1950 definitive stamp set.
The central text in Thaana script is each note's denomination in words.

Footnote: These banknotes are quite expensive, especially in exceptional condition. I have sourced the images from pieces currently offered on eBay.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Banknotes (1960 = 1379 series)

The 1960=1379 series of banknotes uses essentially the same designs as the 1947=1367 series, but omits the low end and extends the high end.
Maldives, 1 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 1 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 1 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 1 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,
1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1960=1379 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1960=1379 issue
Footnote: Once again, I acknowledge eBay as the source for these images.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Banknotes — Extra Information

I have found a rather authoritative article:
Peter Symes & Murray Hanewich, The Bank Notes of the Maldives
http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/maldives(article).htm
Here I extract some relevant facts from that article.

Features of the banknotes

• The banknotes shown in the two previous posts were printed by Bradbury Wilkinson & Co, New Malden, Surrey, England, the same company that printed the stamps of the Maldives during 1950–1960.

• The serial numbers of the 1947=1367 issues all have prefix A, while those of the 1960=1379 issues have prefix C (though some rarer examples of the 50r are known with prefix D). The denominations up to 10r have a singe serial number, while the 50r and 100r carry two serial numbers.

• The ½r, printed on the obverse only, is technically known as a uniface note.
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 4.00.56 pm.png
• The description "Palm and Dhow" for the recurring illustration at the left side of the obverse of these banknotes is more precisely described as follows.
Symes and Hanewich wrote:To the left is a vignette of a lateen rigged mas dhoani (a small sailing vessel used for fishing) with a palm tree, while to the right is a vignette of a square rigged vessel known as a mas odi or ‘fishing odi’. The mas odi is an older style of fishing vessel.
• The original illustrations for the notes were produced by local artist Sayyid Saeed, and the calligraphy was produced by Tabah Ali Fulu.

Buildings on the reverse sides of the notes

These also appear on the 1956 and 1960 series of definitive stamps.
Symes and Hanewich wrote: .
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 4.09.19 pm.png
1 Rufiyaa — A two‑storeyed building, which was used for different purposes over the years. At the time the bank notes were prepared the building was the Customs House. It later became a Post Office and was last used as the Office of the Prime Minister. To the left of the building is the main bastion of the town wall. The bastion was called the Bodu Koattey Buruzu. There was a flagstaff on the Bodu Koattey which flew the State ensign if there was a foreign vessel in port. The bastion has since been torn down as part of the harbour redevelopment and the old Customs House has been demolished, now being the site of Republic Park.
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 12.52.32 am.png
2 Rufiyaa — The Royal Jetty. This elaborately carved wooden construction was torn down as part of the harbour redevelopment.
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.33.16 pm.png
5 Rufiyaa — The Sakkarannya Gate, which was one of the principal entrances to the Court of Eterekoilu, the Sultan’s Palace. The view is looking west from the street called Meduziyaaraiy Magu. Beyond the gate is the watch-house on the Aa-Koattey Buruzu (New Fort Bastion), from which the Royal Standard flew. Over the wall, to the right, is Veyodorhu Ganduvaru Mathige, which is illustrated on the 10 Rufiyaa note.
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 1.02.27 am.png
10 Rufiyaa — The Veyodorhu Ganduvaru Mathige was a three‑storeyed house that was adjacent to the Sultan’s Palace. Now demolished, the building was at one stage the Sifainge, the Defence Headquarters of the militia. The aspect of the illustration on the note is from the Aa-Koattey Buruzu, New Fort Bastion. To the left of the building is Medhumaa Gate, flanked by lamp-posts. To the left of the gate is the very low Kilege Buruzu (bastion) from which gun salutes were fired.
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 4.07.38 pm.png
50 Rufiyaa — The Ibrahimiyya Building, a two‑storeyed construction by the wharf in Male harbour. Used for many purposes over the years, including the Customs House, it no longer remains standing. To the left of the building is the Dhathurah Araavadaigannavaa Gate, Royal Embarkation Gate, the entrance to the Court of Eterekoilu from the harbour.
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 1.04.29 am.png
100 Rufiyaa — Buildings and gardens of the Court of Eterekoilu looking from the north. The tallest building on the right is the Aa-Koattery Buruzu, New Fort Bastion, illustrated on the 5 Rufiyaa note. The tall building on the left is the Veyodorhu Ganduvaru Mathige, illustrated on the 10 Rufiyaa note. Most of the Sultan’s Palace and gardens were torn down in 1968. The area now includes the Sultan’s Park, which surrounds the National Museum, while the Islamic Centre and Mosque, illustrated later on the 500 Rufiyaa note, is built on the area in the foreground of the illustration.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian 1980 = 1400 Banknote

A 1980=1400 printing of the 50 rufiyaa banknote:
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1980=1400 issue<br />Note the prefix D to the serial number
1980=1400 issue
Note the prefix D to the serial number
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,<br />1980=1400 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, reverse,
1980=1400 issue
Comparison 50 rufiyaa obverse, 1960=1379 printing
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse,<br />1960=1379 issue<br />Note the prefix C to the serial number
1960=1379 issue
Note the prefix C to the serial number
Footnote: These images were sourced from current items on eBay.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Banknotes (1983 = 1404 series)

Maldives Monetary Authority banknotes

The banknotes first issued in 1983=1404 were authorised by a newly organised financial entity designated as the Maldives Monetary Authority, stated explicitly on the banknotes. All denominations in this series have the same obverse design; the images on the reverse sides are more realistic scenes from Maldivian life.

Known as the Second Series of Maldivian banknotes, the 1983=1404 issues show a new, freer artistic flair. They have been described as some of the most attractive banknotes in the world. Again printed by Bradbury Wilkinson, an innovation in this series is that the company imprint now appears explicitly at the base of the design on the reverse.

Here are the three lowest denominations:
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1983=1404 issue
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1983=1404 issue
s-l1600-5.jpg
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1983=1404 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1983=1404 issue
s-l1600-6.jpg
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1983=1404 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1983=1404 issue

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Second Series Banknotes (printings after 1983=1404)

The Second Series of Maldivian banknotes, issued by the Maldives Monetary Authority in 1983=1404, were supplemented with later printings by Thomas De La Rue and Company Limited. Some printings have an explicit imprint, others have none.
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.10.53 pm.png
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1990-1411 issue<br />Thomas De La Rue and Company Limited imprint
Maldives, 2 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1990-1411 issue
Thomas De La Rue and Company Limited imprint
s-l1600-5.jpg
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1990-1411 issue<br />Thomas De La Rue and Company Limited imprint
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1990-1411 issue
Thomas De La Rue and Company Limited imprint
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1987=1408 issue, no imprint
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1987=1408 issue, no imprint
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.49.11 pm.png
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse &amp; reverse<br />1987=1408 issue, no imprint
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse & reverse
1987=1408 issue, no imprint
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse<br />1990-1411 issue [reverse not shown]
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse
1990-1411 issue [reverse not shown]
I was unable to find examples of the 10 rufiyaa and 50 rufiyaa in this date range.
The designs on the reverse sides will be shown on later printings.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Second Series Banknotes (modified overall designs)

The Second Series of Maldivian banknotes were given a makeover beginning with four denominations during 1995-1998 =1416-1419. The most noticeable change is that the background pattern of the notes extends to the edges of each note, eliminating the white margins of the earlier designs. Another striking change is that the serieal numbers are graded in size, increasing from beginning to end, and the left one is vertical while the right one is horizontal.
s-l1600-8.jpg
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />overall design, 1998=1419
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
overall design, 1998=1419
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />overall design, 1998=1419
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
overall design, 1998=1419
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />overall design, 1995=1416
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
overall design, 1995=1416
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />overall design, 1996=1416
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
overall design, 1996=1416

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Second Series Banknotes (modified overall designs) cont.

Here are later examples of the Second Series of Maldivian banknotes with modified designs.
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2006=1427 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2006=1427 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2011=1432 issue
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2011=1432 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2006=1427 issue
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2006=1427 issue
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2000=1421 issue
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2000=1421 issue
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2008=1430 issue
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2008=1430 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2000=1421 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2000=1421 issue
s-l1600-4.jpg
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2008=1430 issue
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2008=1430 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2000=1421 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2000=1421 issue
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2013=1434 issue with metallic security strip
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2013=1434 issue with metallic security strip
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.15.59 pm.png
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2006=1427 issue with metallic security strip
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2006=1427 issue with metallic security strip
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,<br />2008=1430 issue with metallic security strip
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse,
2008=1430 issue with metallic security strip
Views on the reverse of the Second Series banknotes
Symes and Hanewich wrote: The illustrations on the back of each denomination are as follows:

2 Rufiyaa — An island scene with huts on a palm covered island, and three boats in the lagoon.

5 Rufiyaa — Three lateen rigged dhoani with people fishing for tuna. The illustration is taken from a well‑known postcard.

10 Rufiyaa — A village scene, with huts in the background and people in the foreground. The turbaned woman by the tree is beating coir from a coconut husk. The coconuts are buried in wet sand to soften them, before the coir is removed by beating the coconut. The woman to the right is creating a panel to be used for the wall of a hut, by weaving coconut fronds with coconut fibres. The woman in the middle distance is seated by a tub making coconut oil. The depiction of old village life is emphasised by the woman wearing a turban, an old style of headdress for women which is now rarely seen.

20 Rufiyaa — The wharf of Malé’s inner harbour, with boats alongside.

50 Rufiyaa — The ‘Harbour’ fruit and vegetable market.

100 Rufiyaa — The gatehouse of the Mulee-Aage. Behind the gatehouse, with only its roof visible, is the tomb of Abu al Barakaath, who converted the people of the Maldives to Islam...
500 Rufiyaa — The Masjid‑al‑Sultan Mohammed Thakurufaanu‑Al‑A’z’am, which is also known as the ‘Grand Friday Mosque’ or the Hakaur Miskiiy. Opened in 1984, it contains a library, a conference hall, Malé’s Islamic Centre and the principal mosque of the Maldives.
http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/maldives%28article%29.htm

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldivian Third Series Banknotes, on polymer

Coinciding with a change from traditional paper banknotes to the new style more durable banknotes on polymer, the Maldives Monetary Authority chose to adopt an entirely new set of designs, in which the obverse is in landscape format and the reverse is in portrait format. The series was also extended by the inclusion of a 1000 Rufiyaa note.
An innovation in this series is the inclusion of Braille dots in the design of each note, to assist the visually impaired.
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.18.38 am.png
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2017=1438, on polymer
Maldives, 5 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2017=1438, on polymer
s-l1600-6.jpg
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2015=1436, on polymer
Maldives, 10 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2015=1436, on polymer
s-l1600-9.jpg
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2017=1439, on polymer
Maldives, 20 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2017=1439, on polymer
s-l1600-5.jpg
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2015=1436, on polymer
Maldives, 50 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2015=1436, on polymer
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.57.18 pm.png
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2015=1436, on polymer
Maldives, 100 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2015=1436, on polymer
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.50.18 pm.png
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2015=1436, on polymer
Maldives, 500 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2015=1436, on polymer
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 3.55.29 pm.png
Maldives, 1000 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse<br />2015=1436, on polymer
Maldives, 1000 rufiyaa banknote, obverse and reverse
2015=1436, on polymer
These images were sourced from items currently on eBay.

/RogerE

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Index to Posts on Maldivian Currency

I have now completed the recent series of posts on Maldivian banknotes. They are relevant to this thread in several ways.

First, they give an excellent window into Maldivian culture — local views, artefacts, decorative motifs, historic buildings, artistic sensibilities, and more.

Second, to cite Marshall McLuhan's famous phrase, the medium is the message: the banknotes are themselves significant objects from everyday Maldivian life; the growth in face values gives us a sense of the purchasing power of a person's income, and the effects of inflation in the nation; the evolution in subjects on the banknotes, and the evolution in their style and material, gives us a sense of the ways in which life has been changing in the Maldives over the last seventy years or so; the phasing out of Arabic script, the increased use of Thaana script, and the intrinsic appearance of English on the banknotes, reflect educational trends and growing international orientation in Maldivian society.

Third, they awaken us to the intimate connection between the stamps and the banknotes of the Maldives, especially the engagement of the same printing companies in producing both (at least in the early days). Indeed, the artistic quality of the banknotes has endured well. However, I'm sad to say that, in my opinion, the philatelic sphere has been increasingly dominated by companies producing much that is trivial and exploitative, so artistic quality and importance of subjects have trended downwards for decades, and that is why 1970 seemed a good cutoff point for the stamps studied in this thread (but not the postal history).

For ease of reference, here is an index to the posts so far in this thread that relate directly to Maldivian currency, be it coins or banknotes.

Posts on Maldivian Currency
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.48.10 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.49.00 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 2.30.28 am.png
Using the Index

* Explaining "post index" numbers
The most recent General Index to this thread is at the first post on the fifth page of the thread. As there are 50 posts per page, and the "post index" of a particular post is its rank as a reply to the initial post of the whole thread — in other words, it's one less than the number of the post! Hence the first post on the fifth page has "post index" 200, and it is accessed by the url
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=200
Example of accessing one of the currency posts
Suppose you would like to view the earliest post in the thread relating to a 20 rufiyaa banknote. The index shows that its "post index" is 130, and it relates to the 20r note with issue dates 2000=1421. Replace the "post index" 200 in the above url with 130, creating the url
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=130
Enter that url at the top of the screen, and press "return" on your keyboard: that takes you to the required post (which turns out to be by Eli, showing us a 20r banknote he was given as a keepsake).

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1961: Coconut and Map Definitives

We have recently seen pairs of the five coconut definitives (SG 70–74) from the set issued on 20 Apr 1961.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=241
The coconut bunch reappears as central subject on the obverse of the Second Series banknotes, from 1983:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=263
The 1961 definitives comprised the five lower denominated coconut stamps and three higher denominated stamps (SG 75-77) depicting a simplified map of Malé. Here is an "ultimate multiple" of the 50L map definitive, from which we can see all the characteristics only hinted at by the coconut pairs shown earlier.
s-l1600-3.jpg
The imprint HARRISON & SONS LTD . LONDON appears on the base of the design of these landscape format stamps, just as it does at the base of the portrait format coconut design.

The sheet format is 6x5. This neatly accommodates the larger size of these stamps, but presents a less convenient accounting problem for those in the Postal Service needing to keep track of sales and stock of these stamps.

The sheet header, guessed at from the portion of the margin shown earlier on the 2L coconut pair, is now confirmed to be MALDIVE ISLANDS SECOND DEFINITIVE ISSUE. Each of the five words neatly appears above one of the five stamps in the top row. This header would have been functional, serving as a handling aid for the printers, then during the forwarding of the sheets to the Maldives, and finally during their integration into the Maldivian Postal Service. The sheet number in the lower margin, at the left corner of the sheet, would have been mechanically added at the end of the printing process. Sheet numbers were a significant accounting aid throughout all handling stages, from the printers through to the post office counters in the Maldives. The control numbers 1A in six different colours, below stamp (6, 4), served a quality control purpose during the printing process. The use of six colours for the printing must have been at the forefront of printing capabilities at the time.

The perforation pattern of the sheet is the last feature I shall comment on here. The vertical lines of perforations continue to the top edge of the sheet, and would have served as the main line to tear down to begin the separation of individual stamps from the sheet. The horizontal lines of perforations continue for just one hole beyond the outermost vertical lines, and the vertical lines continue for just one hole below the lowest horizontal of perforations.

It's satisfying to be able to record these production details, as they are not included in the available catalogues.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1961: Celebrating the First Maldivian Stamps

After the coconut and map definite set, the next stamp set issued by the Maldives was the ten commemoratives for the first Maldivian stamps. Issued on 9 Sep 1961, this was an odd anniversary, 55 years since the 1906 issue of the first stamps. Probably there was some embarrassment that the 50th anniversary went past without formal recognition, so in a sense this 1961 set was a catchup. (There was no centenary issue in 2006 — perhaps by then the "British" associations of the 1906 issue were no longer politically acceptable in the Maldives.)

Characteristics of the base of the sheet were recently described from positional examples shown in the post
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=239
Here is an "ultimate multiple" of the 3L:
s-l1600.jpg
Like the coconut and map definitives, this set was printed by Harrison and Sons Ltd, but in this case there is no printer's imprint in the stamp margins nor in the sheet margins.

The sheet format is 6x5. Its upper margin has the description 55th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST MALDIVIAN POSTAGE STAMP, not "stamps". This labelling would help prevent mishandling at the printer's, or beyond on the way to integration into the Maldivian Postal Service.

The sheet number appears in the margin below stamp (6, 1), and the three control numbers 1A appear below stamp (6, 4). As with the positional items shown in the post with "post index" 239, the middle 1A (in "red") is noticeably lower than the neighbouring 1A on each side of it. The sheet number 7358 is a close successor of the 7356 appearing on the positional item shown at "post index" 239. This indicates the likelihood that in 1961 a group of consecutively numbered sheets was allocated to one or more international dealers, and not all of those sheets were broken into singles for the packet trade or other uses.

The perforation format of this sheet is the last feature to be noted here. The horizontal lines of perforations extend to the right edge of the sheet, but stop flush with the leftmost vertical line of perforations. The vertical lines of perforations continue for one hole beyond the extreme horizontal lines of perforations. Hence, in this case the natural method of tearing the sheet to remove single stamps is to begin at the right margin of the sheet.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Nice to see those pretty banknotes, Roger! I am truly glad that I don't collect notaphily, but they are indeed nice to look at.

Back to stamps again, and here is an apparently normal letter, sent way back in 1931, before the evil IGPC got their greedy claws on the country's Post Office.

maldives-31-cvr-front.jpg
maldives-31-cvr-bak.jpg
Maldive Islands 1931 cover to Kathiawar, with three 2c stamps.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Yes Panterra, I agree, the Maldivian banknotes are very attractive, especially the series issued in 1983 and beyond. Many are expensive, and my philatelic focus is quite enough challenge for my resources.

The cover shown by Panterra in the previous post appears to be quite genuine, though the date 20.XII.31 (20 Dec 1931) in the Maldives circular datestamp has an inverted numeral "1" in the year. Because the franking is with a multiple rather than three singles, it is relatively easy to tell that the franking is a strip of three of the 2c Minaret issue of 1909 (SG 7) is line-perforated — a later printing (SG 7a) was comb perforated. My 2018 SG catalogue assigns better value to used line perforated 2c stamps (£4.50) than to the comb perforated versions (£0.90), and suggests a factor of x50 for used on cover. Panterra, would you care to tell us more about this cover — details such as whether it was recently on sale, and whether you now own it, would be of interest.

That cover was originally printed for an intended reply destined to pass through Dhanushkodi (deleted, and repurposed by the sender). The printed guidelines for the address are correctly used as a guide for the tops of the Gujarati characters. (This contrasts with conventions for Latin [Roman] characters, where a guideline is used for the bases of the characters.) Rather than going to Dhanushkodi in the deep southeast of India, it was actually directed to the opposite end of the country: via Bombay to Vankaner, in Saurashtra, on the Kathiawar peninsula, in the far northwest of India. A cover from Malé to Vankaner sent a quarter century later is shown in the post
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=56
Wikipedia wrote:Dhanushkodi is an abandoned town at the south-eastern tip of Pamban Island of the state of Tamil Nadu in India. It is south-east of Pamban and is about 24km west of Talaimannar in Sri Lanka. The town was destroyed during the 1964 Rameswaram cyclone and remains uninhabited in the aftermath.
It has significance in Hinduism:
The town of Dhanushkodi is believed to be the place where Lord Rama ordered Lord Hanuman to build a bridge which could carry his army across to Sri Lanka, where the Demon King Ravana kept Sita captive. As ordered, Lord Hanuman obliged and it was here that the Ram Setu was built by the Vanara Sena.
https://www.indiatoday.in › Travel › Destinations

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Cover to Ceylon

The Cover Index posted earlier in this thread lists 15 covers franked with Minaret stamps, and others with later frankings. Two more Minaret covers have been shown since then. None of these was destined to Ceylon/Sri Lanka, though of course they went through Colombo's mail handling on their way to their destinations, which were overwhelmingly in India.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=233
Here is my first Minaret-franked cover to Ceylon/Sri Lanka.
Malé to Colombo cover, franked with 10c Minaret (SG 10).
Malé to Colombo cover, franked with 10c Minaret (SG 10).
The cover has not yet reached me, and the scan is rather low resolution, so I cannot closely examine it now to try to determine the date (perhaps late 1950s?). However, some features of the cover are of immediate interest.

The cover is addressed to Bambalapitiya, a district in Colombo. In fact "Colombo 4" appears appropriately in the address:
Wikipedia wrote:Bambalapitiya is a southern coastal neighbourhood of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The area, also known as Colombo 4, spans about 1.5 km² along Galle Road. The western boundary of the suburb is the Indian Ocean and it is bordered to the east by Havelock Town, the north by Kollupitiya, and to the south by Wellawatte.
An excellent reminiscent piece about the inhabitants and former multicultural life in Bambalapitiya is online:
http://colombofort.com/bambalapitiya.htm
The specifics of the cover's address in English name the residence Evergreen, and the street location 25 Melbourne Avenue, but only specify the recipient as c/o M. G. R.

I conjecture that this cover was correspondence with an official representing or acting on behalf of the Maldivian government at some level, and "M. G. R." stands for something like "Maldivian Government Representative". Indeed, I conjecture that the official On Maldivian Government Service cover sent from Colombo to Manchester on 8 Mar 1952 probably originated from this "M. G. R." location.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=103
There are notations in Thaana script in three places on this cover. These add to my impression that it is correspondence sent to a Maldivian official.

In particular, the notation at the top of the address might be "hisinee" (probably the status of the message, such as "personal") and the notation to the left of "Evergreen" might be "silshashoo" (probably the name of the intended recipient). The third Thaana notation, in the lower left corner, is presumably the name (and affiliation?) of the sender.

Perhaps more will be discernible when I receive the cover.

Footnote: I just added a post about Bambalapitiya in the Stamps and Languages thread.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&start=907

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1970 Stamp Sheets

Full sheets of some Maldivian 1970 stamp sets have recently appeared on eBay.

The set celebrating the Tenth Anniversary of Inter-governmental Maritime Consultative Organisation was subject of an earlier post, at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=199
Maldives, 26 July 1970: 10th anniv. IMCO set (SG 333-334, Sc 324-325)
Maldives, 26 July 1970: 10th anniv. IMCO set (SG 333-334, Sc 324-325)
Here is the set in full sheets:
Maldives, 26 July 1970: overlapped full sheets of IMCO set (SG 333-334)
Maldives, 26 July 1970: overlapped full sheets of IMCO set (SG 333-334)
One hopes for informative notations in the margins of such sheets, but in this case the margins are blank. My 2018 SG catalogue confirms that the stamps were designed by Maxim Shamir, and describes them as lithographed, but gives no indication of the printer. (Some lithographed Maldivian sets issued in 1970 were printed by the Government Printer, Israel, and some others were printed by Rosenbaum Brothers, Vienna.)

We see that the sheet format is 5x10 (= 5 rows of 10 stamps: 5 rows, 10 columns in matrix terminology), and the stamps themselves have vertical (= portrait) format. The lines of perforation extend fully to each edge of the sheet — in other words, the margins are fully perforated.

The sheets are quite large, so have been folded along the central vertical line of perforations. (This is normally treated as a minor defect, in contrast with "unfolded", but I regard it as a normal consequence of the need to practically store such large items, which were always intended to be torn along the perforation lines to separate the individual stamps. "Pristine" condition, meaning in the same condition as released by the printers, seems extreme, akin to keeping items in their original packaging.)

The size of the sheets is of interest. My singles measure 26.5mm x 42.0mm when measured between the centres of the parallel lines of perforations. Therefore the distance between the outermost parallel lines of perforations is 210mm x 265mm (height x width). I estimate that the vertical margins have half the width of a single stamp, and the horizontal margins have half the height of a single stamp, thus indicating an overall sheet size of 252mm x 292mm (height x width) approximately.

Compare this size with the sizes of standard display pages available to Australian philatelists from the Australian Philatelic Federation = APF:
APF price list for display pages
APF price list for display pages
https://apf.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/APF-Store-Order-Form-25-July-2021.pdf

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1970 Stamp Sheets cont.

The 1970 set celebrating the International Education Year was subject of an earlier post, at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=179
Maldives, 7 Sep 1970: International Education Year set (SG 348-352)
Maldives, 7 Sep 1970: International Education Year set (SG 348-352)
Maldives, 7 Sep 1970: International Education Year set  in overlapped full sheets (SG 348-352)
Maldives, 7 Sep 1970: International Education Year set in overlapped full sheets (SG 348-352)
My 2018 SG catalogue confirms that the stamps were designed by Maxim Shamir, and in this case says that they were lithographed by the Government Printer, Israel.

We see that the sheet format is 10x5 (= 10 rows of 5 stamps: 10 rows, 5 columns in matrix terminology), and the stamps themselves have horizontal (= landscape) format. The horizontal lines of perforations extend fully to each edge of the sheet, and the vertical lines of perforations extent to the top edge, but stop flush with the bottom horizontal line of perforations. The sheet margins have one notation: the sheet number followed by a fancy asterisk, above stamp (1, 2). This was a useful accounting device at all stages of sheet handling, from printer's to post office desk.

The sheets are quite large, so have been folded along the central horizontal line of perforations. (As remarked in the previous post, this is normally treated as a minor defect, in contrast with "unfolded", but I regard it as a normal consequence of the need to practically store such large items.)

Last edited by RogerE on 29 Sep 2021 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

RogerE wrote:
29 Sep 2021 19:46

. . .
Of course, the problem with those full sheets is the problem of storing them and displaying them in your album. Hence the reason why many collectors like blocks of four or just a single set. And the reason why others fold the sheet in half (although even then, it is still too big for convenient storage!)

So I predict the vendor will find few folks taking up her offer on Ebay.

Do you plan to make a bid yourself Roger?

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

The 1970 set celebrating the 75th anniversary of the "first" automobile was subject of an earlier post, at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=127
Maldives, 1 Feb 1970: 75th anniversary of the automobile (SG 318-325)
Maldives, 1 Feb 1970: 75th anniversary of the automobile (SG 318-325)
Maldives, 1 Feb 1970: 75th anniversary of the automobile, <br />in overlapping imperforate sheets (SG 318-325)
Maldives, 1 Feb 1970: 75th anniversary of the automobile,
in overlapping imperforate sheets (SG 318-325)
My 2018 SG catalogue confirms that the stamps were designed by Maxim Shamir, and were lithographed (by an unspecified printer).

We see that the sheet format is 5x5 (= 5 rows of 5 stamps), and the stamps themselves have horizontal (= landscape) format. No marginal markings are present.

The size of the sheets is of interest. My singles measure 40mm x 50mm when measured between the centres of the parallel lines of perforations. Therefore, in the perforated sheets the distance between the outermost parallel lines of perforations must be 200mm x 250mm (height x width). The margins of the imperforate sheets appear to be equal on three sides to half the height of the stamps (20mm), while the width of the remaining horizontal margin appears to be about half that (10mm). Therefore the size of the imperforate sheets is 230mm x 290mm (height x width) approximately.

I am guessing that in fact the printing format was 10x5 with a 20mm horizontal gutter between the top five rows and the bottom five rows. The imperforate sheets would then have been guillotined through the gutter. This would account for the 25L sheet (lower right) having narrow margin at the top (so is actually a lower half sheet), while all the other sheets have narrow margin at the base (so are actually upper half sheets).

Footnote: Panterra, my plans are "commercial in confidence".

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1987: Official Cover

An index of Official Covers previously posted in this thread is given at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=219
Here is an official cover from a decade later:
Maldives: Malé Regd cds 25 May 1987, S label:<br />Official cover to Clwyd, UK
Maldives: Malé Regd cds 25 May 1987, S label:
Official cover to Clwyd, UK
Official handstamp <br />Post Office / Malé, Maldives
Official handstamp
Post Office / Malé, Maldives
The offical handstamp, with the national emblem as central motif, has Thaana script in the annulus: Post Office in the upper half, and Malé, Maldives in the lower half. This official handstamp differs from those shown earlier in this thread.

The S label (rather than an R label) may indicate "signature on delivery" is required.

Two rather indistinct Colombo circular date stamps (= cds) appear on the back of the cover: one is a 27mm Colombo Regd date stamp of 30 May 1987, the other is at least 30mm but is only a partial impression.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: 1989 Tourist Postcard

As I've commented previously, the focus of this thread is on the stamp issues of the Maldives up to 1970, but I have been happy to include postal history from all periods up till the present. There is considerable interest in the postal history, as it reflects the actual mail handling service of the Maldivian Post Office, and in a broader sense it gives us insights into the evolution of Maldivian culture. It also shows us which stamps were really being used for regular postage, rather than the multitude of philatelically motivated issues.

Here is a 1989 tourist postcard from the Maldives to Stuttgart, Germany.
1989: Tourist postcard from Maldives to Stuttgart, Germany<br />Franked with 2r roses<br />Indistinct 45mm circular date stamp, 22 [Oct 1989]
1989: Tourist postcard from Maldives to Stuttgart, Germany
Franked with 2r roses
Indistinct 45mm circular date stamp, 22 [Oct 1989]
Manuscript message, dated 20 Oct 1989
Personal message (in German) from the sender to her aunt,
with note Im Transit nach SingaporeIn transit to Singapore
Indistinct 45mm circular postmark (Maldivian? perhaps Singaporean?)
Puffins of the Maldives?
Puffins of the Maldives?
In fact the details on the reverse of the card tell us the story. The image at the top of the card, between the stamp and the start of the message, is a logo RI/ Real Ireland. The lower right corner of the card shows it has Ref. No. SP18, by Real Ireland Design Limited.

The lower left corner of the card describes the photo (by Liam Blake):
Puffins on Skellig Michael looking towards its neighbouring rockisland
the Little Skellig on the west coast of Co Kerry

Presumably the sender bought the postcard in Ireland, earlier in her travels. She wrote the message while staying on Bandos in the Maldives. Bandos is a few kilometres north of Malé.

Here are some commercial website images for Bandos. You can imagine that you too are considering planning a resort holiday there! (You don't have to be a genius to get the Genius Discount, you just have to sign in!)
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.31.27 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.37.42 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.38.14 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 10.38.57 pm.png
https://www.booking.com/hotel/mv/bandos-island-resort-spa/
The notation above the stamp is Im Transit nach SingaporeIn transit to Singapore. Probably this just amounts to saying "I'm currently stopping over in the Maldives, and will soon be on my way to Singapore". However, it's also feasible that it indicates the writer started her message in Bandos, but didn't finish it till on her flight from Malé to Singapore, and then posted the card in the airport in Singapore.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Classical Maldivean Stamps
There are some attractive offerings of early Maldivean stamps currently on eBay — I mean the stamps issued between 1909 and 1952. (The 1906 first issue is of course also "classical', but the difficulty with those overprinted issues is that many of the overprints are fakes, so it's not straight forward to identify genuine examples.)

Images of the 1909–1952 stamps appeared quite early in this thread, but I want to revisit them now with some current images, to remind us just how attractive they are. :D
Maldives, 1909–1933: Minaret stamps <br />(in the range SG7–20)
Maldives, 1909–1933: Minaret stamps
(in the range SG7–20)
Maldives, 1950–1952: Palm and Dhow stamps (SG21-29),<br />Fish and Artefacts stamps (SG30–31)
Maldives, 1950–1952: Palm and Dhow stamps (SG21-29),
Fish and Artefacts stamps (SG30–31)
Maldives, 1950: Palm and Dhow stamps, used<br />(SG21–29)
Maldives, 1950: Palm and Dhow stamps, used
(SG21–29)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Classical Maldivean Stamps supplement

I cannot resist showing another image of the Palm and Dhow stamps, because the size and colours in this image are so attractive, even though the individual stamps are overlapped, and the two highest values are interchanged (probably deliberately, with colour considerations uppermost).
Maldives, 1950: Palm and Dhow stamps (SG21–29)
Maldives, 1950: Palm and Dhow stamps (SG21–29)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Historical Maldives (1)

I have recently purchased a small woodcut print of three Maldive Islanders, dated at 1880. I believe it is a page from a book published in that year. When it arrives, I will post any further details I can discern from the actual item, rather than relying on the image, which is all I have so far...
Woodcut. &quot;Maldive Islanders&quot;, 1880
Woodcut. "Maldive Islanders", 1880

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Historical Maldives (2)

Here is a postcard documenting the historical Maldives (around 1905), currently on eBay.
Maldives: Sultan Muhammad Imaaduddeen VI ca 1905
Postcard (c. 1905) captioned:<br />H.H. [His Highness] Sultan of Maldive Islands
Postcard (c. 1905) captioned:
H.H. [His Highness] Sultan of Maldive Islands
The image is "watermarked" by the seller with the words
Scan by Lim S. Yap for eBay
The seller does not show the reverse of the card. However, he helpfully adds these extra comments:
This is an antique black and white postcard of the Maldives. It shows a beautiful view of Sultan Muhammad Imaaduddeen VI (1868-1932). This postcard was published by SKEEN in the period 1905-1910. So it is more than one HUNDRED years OLD. However a little crease on top right corner it does not affect the picture (see scan) it is still a great collectable. Condition: (very) good. This postcard should be in every Royalty or African collection. Buyer pays $ 3.00 for handling and worldwide shipping. Buyer of multiple items can save on shipping. Buyer of multiple items must wait for the invoice. Buyer must make his payment within 14 days. Please take a look in my eBay store to make your Royalty or African collection complete.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302881223821?hash=item468520b48d:g:6HgAAOSwnntbkDmY
The list price for the card is quite high.

The headwear, especially the fez-style hats, in this formal postcard image are marks of status, so the central figure in the previous post's woodcut is presumably of higher social status than the men flanking him.

Eli

Post by Eli »

It is very interesting to see how the Maldivian stamps design characterizes the 1970's years was totally changed in several years when the Shamir brothers stopped to design the Maldives Islands stamps (not speaking about the stamp subjects, that also were totally changed). For example, here are two dinosaur sets, one, designed by Shamir, was issued in 1972 and the second was issued in 1992. Look at the difference between the designs of the sets:

Maldives 1972 Dinosaurs.jpg

Maldives Islands 1992 Dinosaurs.jpg

I scanned two stamps from each set, show Triceratops and Stegosaurus, to show the difference in better resolution:

Maldives Islands 1972 Dinosaurs 1.jpg
Maldives Islands 1992 Dinosaurs 1.jpg
Maldives Islands 1972 Dinosaurs 2.jpg
Maldives Islands 1992 Dinosaurs 2.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Dinosaur Art
Eli, thanks for the post contrasting the 1972 and 1992 dinosaur sets. I must say that my first preference for natural history subjects is that they be realistic, and second that they be attractive artistically. So my remarks here, motivated by your stamp selection, will be coming from the viewpoint of those two preferences.

Of course, both stamp sets were issued well into the "revenue raising through philately" phase of Maldivian stamp issues. The technology available for creating the artwork and producing the stamps, advanced greatly in that 20 year interval, so we must make allowance for that when comparing the two sets.

1972 stamp set
Maldives, 1972: 50L Triceratops
Maldives, 1972: 50L Triceratops
Stylistically, I would say the 1972 set is children's picture book art — the colours are bright, the ground is colourful and unrealistic, the vegetation is contrived and in unconvincing perspective. They are "fun" pictures rather than realistic ones. Here are some children's dinosaur collector cards for comparison. They show similar characteristics to the 1972 stamp designs, but the art work and colours for the collector cards are slightly more realistic:
ORBIS Publishing, 1993: dinosaur SWAP IT! collector cards
ORBIS Publishing, 1993: dinosaur SWAP IT! collector cards
1992 stamp set
Maldives, 1992: 25r Triceratops
Maldives, 1992: 25r Triceratops
Stylistically, this very long set portrays its dinosaurs as believable actual creatures, but each stamp has a very narrow colour range, so the views do not look like reality. The backgrounds are "atmospheric" and make no attempt to look like realistic scenery.

Here is another group of dinosaur collector cards, with art work which is considerably more realistic than the earlier group of collector cards, though these cards are probably the combined work of more than one artist, and some are more convincing than others. Their dinosaurs do mostly look like real creatures, and their scenery is fairly credible. The colours of the creatures, the ground, and the vegetation are plausible suggestions of reality.
Redstone Marketing 1993: dinosaur collector cards
Redstone Marketing 1993: dinosaur collector cards
Artist's realistic representations of dinosaurs

In fact, it seems difficult to find dinosaurs in graphic art that really achieve convincing realism. When it comes to the fossil remains, many artists have created very attractive artwork in the natural history art tradition. For example:
Fossil skeletons, including dinosaurs, by Charles Dessalines D' Orbigny (1806-1876)<br />Image acknowledgement: Celestial Images
Fossil skeletons, including dinosaurs, by Charles Dessalines D' Orbigny (1806-1876)
Image acknowledgement: Celestial Images
However, paintings of dinosaurs in the flesh are rarely convincingly realistic. Here is one of the best examples I have found. It is both realistic and artistic.
Group of three Struthiomimus, painted by Dan Terry (c1983)
Group of three Struthiomimus, painted by Dan Terry (c1983)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Historical Maldives (3)

A map published in 1750 gives us a very clear impression of the geography of the Maldives, with a navigator's perspective on the archipelago. This map, a collectors' item, is currently being offered on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284232456544?hash=item422d931960:g:lQ0AAOSw9EpgXKi2
Maldive Islands, 1750<br />Scale: 50 nautical miles
Maldive Islands, 1750
Scale: 50 nautical miles
Maldive Islands, 1750: antique map by Nicolas Bellin<br />Annotations in French and Dutch
Maldive Islands, 1750: antique map by Nicolas Bellin
Annotations in French and Dutch
The detail of the atolls is so clear and attractive that I cannot resist sharing detailed images.
Northern atolls numbered I to VII
Malé atoll is number VI, and Malé Island is named as Capital or King's Island
s-l1600-2.jpg
Overlapping that detail, but moving further south:
Atolls IV to XI
s-l1600-3.jpg
Finally, an overlap that includes the southernmost atolls:
Atolls VII to XIII
s-l1600-4.jpg
I'm sure you will agree with me: that's a splendid map, full of information.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1956 Harbour and Fort Definitives
The definitive set issued in 1956 comprised eight laree-valued stamps depicting the Malé Harbour, and three rupee-values somewhat larger stamps depicting the Fort (later to change function several times, including serving for a while as the post office).

Here are two unaddressed covers, separately bearing the two parts of the set. Both covers are neatly datestamped 7 Sep 1957, a little more than 19 months after their issue date. This indicates that they were probably both prepared by the same person (and possibly indicates that just this one pair was prepared on that date). I acquired the cover with the laree-valued stamps some days before the cover with the rupee-valued stamps was posted for sale, so I was glad to be able to acquire the second cover...
Maldives, 7.x.57: Eight laree-valued Harbour view definitives (SG 32-39)<br />on unaddressed philatelic cover
Maldives, 7.x.57: Eight laree-valued Harbour view definitives (SG 32-39)
on unaddressed philatelic cover
Maldives, 7.x.57: Three rupee-valued Fort view definitives (SG 40-42)<br />on unaddressed philatelic cover
Maldives, 7.x.57: Three rupee-valued Fort view definitives (SG 40-42)
on unaddressed philatelic cover
Given the difficulty of finding used examples of these stamps, I regard these unaddressed souvenir covers as considerably more worthwhile than the unrealistically low used value of the stamps in my 2018 SG Catalogue, even though the covers are only in category (2) in my classification of Maldivian covers.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives, 1967: Kennedy Memorial set revisited

My most recent post about the Kennedy Memorial set (SG160-164) showed horizontal imperforate pairs, with right sheet margin. I proposed the category "philatelic specimens" for such items.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=207
I recently purchased imperforate full sheets of the five stamps in this set:
Maldives, 1967: Kennedy set in imperforate full sheets (SG 160var-164var)
Maldives, 1967: Kennedy set in imperforate full sheets (SG 160var-164var)
The sheet format is 10 x 5. There are no discernible printer's markings in the margins.
Recall that this set in imperforate condition is considerably earlier than the first issues ("from SG 210") which my 2018 Stanley Gibbons catalogue says were released into the market in imperforate condition.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1969: First Man on the Moon revisited
On 25 Sep 1969 the Maldives celebrated the first human Moon landing with a set of four stamps and a minisheet, first shown in this thread at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=195
I just realised today that there is an unremarked error in the minisheet.
As a Spot the Difference exercise, compare the minisheet with the separate sheet stamps. I will wait until the first Stampboards member adds a post to this thread correctly identifying the error (but with a time limit of 48hrs from the posting of this challenge). ;)

Last edited by RogerE on 15 Oct 2021 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Hi Roger,

I don't know if was a mistake or not but I see the designs for the 10L and R2.50 were switched.
Nigel

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

nigelc wrote:
15 Oct 2021 01:29
Hi Roger,

I don't know if it was a mistake or not but I see the designs for the 10L and R2.50 were switched.
Very fast work, nigelc! That is the error I spotted. :D
[Nigel posted his answer less than 8 minutes after I posted the challenge!]

There is clearly no intrinsic reason for interchanging the designs while keeping the face values in "correct" order, so that effectively there are two different 10L stamps, and two different R2.50 stamps. The minisheet is imperforate, so "liberating" the four individual stamps would dramatise the situation a little more, but I have no intention of doing that to my minisheet ;)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives: Philympia 1970 revisited

Three of the four sheet stamps celebrating the Moon Landing, and the minisheet, were overprinted to celebrate Philympia 1970 . Recall that the overprints are in silver, so are not easily noticed. The overprinted set was previously discussed in some detail at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=196
Maldives, 1970: Philympia 1970 overprinted sheet stamp singles (SG 353-355)
Maldives, 1970: Philympia 1970 overprinted sheet stamp singles (SG 353-355)
In the "ultimate multiples" class, here is a set of six full sheets of the overprinted sheet stamps:
Maldives, 1970: Philympia 1970 overprinted sheet stamps,<br />in two full sheets of each value (SG 353-355)
Maldives, 1970: Philympia 1970 overprinted sheet stamps,
in two full sheets of each value (SG 353-355)
The sheet format is 4 x 5, with sheet number and fancy asterisk in the selvedge above stamp (1, 2). The horizontal and vertical lines of perforations continue to each edge of the sheet. I do not see any other markings in the selvedge of the sheets.

The original stamps were designed by Maxim Shamir, and lithographed by the Government Printer, Israel. I assume that the subsequent overprinting was also done by the Government Printer, Israel, though my 2018 Stanley Gibbons catalogue does not comment on that point.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives Souvenir Cover 1974

Here is a 1974 unaddressed souvenir cover, previously shown at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=95451&start=258
This is a category (2) cover in the classification proposed earlier.

It is franked with low face value stamps from four different 1974 sets. I can now add catalogue details of the franking: Centenary of the World Meteorological Organisation (SG 477-478); FIFA World Cup (SG 514-515); Centenary of UPU (SG 508); Flowers (SG 455).
Maldives, 20 Nov 1974: unaddressed souvenir  cover<br />SG 455, 477, 478, 508, 514, 515.
Maldives, 20 Nov 1974: unaddressed souvenir cover
SG 455, 477, 478, 508, 514, 515.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1998: Tourist Postcard

Here is another "cover" (in this case a postcard) forming part of the post–1970 postal history of the Maldives.
Maldives postcard, 1998: generic beach view
Maldives postcard, 1998: generic beach view
Maldives postcard, 1998 (reverse of the above)<br />Rectangular boxed postmark: 22 Mar 1998 / Despatch Section<br />To London, UK.  Franked 7r Roses<br />Red handstamp: 30 years Republic
Maldives postcard, 1998 (reverse of the above)
Rectangular boxed postmark: 22 Mar 1998 / Despatch Section
To London, UK. Franked 7r Roses
Red handstamp: 30 years Republic
The postcard is produced by Universal Enterprises Ltd in Malé.

The good-humoured message tabulates in two columns what is absent, and what is present, during the Maldives stay of the happy tourist couple (who suggest the photo side shows them enjoying the beach!)

Postcard postage rate

Evidently this 1998 postcard postage to the UK was 7 rufiyaa. A surcharge to the 7r roses definitive was applied in 2001, revaluing it at 10 rufiyaa. Presumably this indicates an increase in the postage rate, with a shortfall in definitives at the new rate being met by provisional surcharging.
Maldives, 2001: 10r surcharge on 7r roses (SG3460a)
Maldives, 2001: 10r surcharge on 7r roses (SG3460a)
Maldives, 2001: 10r surcharge on 7r roses (SG3460a),<br />Postally used example, cancelled Post Office /xx Mar 2001
Maldives, 2001: 10r surcharge on 7r roses (SG3460a),
Postally used example, cancelled Post Office /xx Mar 2001
Maldives, 2001: 10r surcharge on 7r roses<br />double surcharge variety (SG3460ab)
Maldives, 2001: 10r surcharge on 7r roses
double surcharge variety (SG3460ab)
Evidently the provisional surcharging was hasty, evidenced by multiply overprinted examples having appeared on the market. Singly overprinted stamps are currently being offered at prices above USD10, and doubly overprinted examples are being offered at around USD75.

I am guessing that the various stamp sets apparently being issued for philatelic revenue raising were scarcely available in post offices in the Maldives, so it took some time for adequate supplies of 10r definitives to be made available. These fish definitives were probably printed to meet demand for this postal rate:
Maldives, 2001: 10r fish definitives, postally used (SG 3543-3544)
Maldives, 2001: 10r fish definitives, postally used (SG 3543-3544)

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 2000: Tourist Postcard

Complementing the discussion in the previous post, here is a tourist postcard dated 14 Oct 2000, franked with the 10r surcharged roses definitive:
Maldives, 2000: Postcard view, Malé Atoll<br />Postcard by Michael Friedel Books
Maldives, 2000: Postcard view, Malé Atoll
Postcard by Michael Friedel Books
Maldives, 2000: reverse of same postcard.<br />franked 10r surch on 7r roses<br />Rectangular boxed cancel <br />Maldives Post / (Mail Operations) / 14 Oct 2000/ Despatch Section<br />Sent to Chur, Switzerland
Maldives, 2000: reverse of same postcard.
franked 10r surch on 7r roses
Rectangular boxed cancel
Maldives Post / (Mail Operations) / 14 Oct 2000/ Despatch Section
Sent to Chur, Switzerland
The holidaying couple did not stay on the atoll shown on the postcard. Their stay was at the Angada Island resort, in the heart of the south Ari Atoll:
Maldives: Angada Island resort, south Ari Atoll
Maldives: Angada Island resort, south Ari Atoll
https://angaga.com.mv/
According to the postcard, they arrived by seaplane, were delighted with the jewel-like island, and enthused over the snorkelling world of fish, coral, starfish and turtles.

Incidentally, the postcard was sent to a friend in Chur, reputedly Switzerland's oldest town.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chur

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Maldives 1996: Tourist Postcard

Here is another tourist postcard, dated 24 Aug 1996, franked with the 6.50r Ferruginous Duck definitive:
Maldives: Bodu Hithi Island, North Malé Atoll<br />Postcard by Italian Club Vacanze
Maldives: Bodu Hithi Island, North Malé Atoll
Postcard by Italian Club Vacanze
Maldives, 1996: reverse of above postcard<br />Franked with 6.50r Ferruginous Duck definitive<br />Rectangular boxed cancel Airport / Post Office / 24 Aug 1996 / Maldives<br />Sent to Obersaasheim, Alsace, France
Maldives, 1996: reverse of above postcard
Franked with 6.50r Ferruginous Duck definitive
Rectangular boxed cancel Airport / Post Office / 24 Aug 1996 / Maldives
Sent to Obersaasheim, Alsace, France
The message is in Alsasian . I have a post about the message in the stamps and languages thread, at
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=90529&p=7472649#p7472649
The card was written by holidaying couple on Bodu Hithi Island, and sent to friends/family in Obersaasheim, Elsass = Alsace, France.
Bodu Hithi Island, in North Malé Atoll, is our beautiful Maldivian resort. The rhythm of life here is serene. The essential tropical mood stimulates and refreshes the senses. And the mystery of the House Reef meets the open elegance of pristine palm-fringed beaches. That the Malé International Airport is only 40 minutes away feels unreal.
https://cococollection.com/en/bodu_hithi
Postcard rates
The two previous posts, together with this one, imply a steady increase in the postage on postcards to Europe:
24 Aug 1996: 6.50 rufiyaa
22 Mar 1998: 7.00 rufiyaa
14 Oct 2000: 10.00 rufiyaa

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”