Mythologies of the World on Stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Mythologies of the World on Stamps

Post by RogerE »

The Lu Ban stamps are lovely, thanks Eli.

His name, in simplified script, appears vertically on the right side of each stamp:

Lǔbān
Traditional script: 魯班
Simplified script: 鲁班
PRC, 2019-19: Lu Ban (minisheet: detail)
PRC, 2019-19: Lu Ban (minisheet: detail)
/RogerE :D

Eli

Post by Eli »

Roger, I very appreciate your inputs in my different posts. The extra information enrich them all. Thank you very much, Eli :)

Chinese Mythology - The Five Sacred Mountains

The Five Great Mountains (simplified Chinese: 五岳; traditional Chinese: 五嶽; pinyin: Wǔyuè) refers to five of the most renowned mountains in Chinese history, and they were the subjects of imperial pilgrimage by emperors throughout ages. They are associated with the supreme God of Heaven and the five main cosmic deities of Chinese traditional religion.

The Five Great Mountains are arranged according to the five cardinal directions of Chinese geomancy, which includes the center as a direction. The term Wuyue ("Five Summits") was made popular during the reign of Emperor Wudi of the Western Han Dynasty 140-87 BC. In Chinese traditional religion they have cosmological and theological significance as the representation, on the physical plane of earth, of the ordered world emanating from the God of Heaven (Tian–Shangdi), inscribing the Chinese territory as a tán (壇; 'altar'), the Chinese concept equivalent of the Indian Mandala:

The Five Sacred Mountains, issued by the PR of China on August 3, 2019:

china PR 2019 Mountains 1a.jpg

china PR 2019 Mountains 2a.jpg

china PR 2019 Mountains 3a.jpg

china PR 2019 Mountains 4a.jpg

china PR 2019 Mountains 5a.jpg

The five elements, cosmic deities, historical incarnations, chthonic and dragon gods, and planets, associated to the five sacred mountains. This Chinese religious cosmology shows the Yellow Emperor, god of the earth and the year, as the centre of the cosmos, and the four gods of the directions and the seasons as his emanations. The diagram is based on the Huainanzi:

Five Mountains.png

stamps were issued in a sheet with many symbols on the margins:

china PR 2019 Mountains SHa.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Cupid Untying the Zone of Venus, by the English painter Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723 – 1792):

Cupid Untying the Zone of Venus (originally entitled A Nymph and Cupid: 'The Snake in the Grass' or The Snake in the Grass, or Love unloosing the zone of Beauty; later also known as Love and Beauty and Cupid Untying the Girdle of Venus) is a painting by Joshua Reynolds. It shows Cupid untying the girdle of his mother Venus – the latter was modelled on Emma Hart. (Wiki) The stamps show autographed copy of the painting exhibited in the Hermitage museum, St. Petersburg, Russia:

Issued on March 20, 1984 by the USSR as one in a set entitled "English Paintings in Hermitage":

USSR 1984 Reynolds.jpg

Issued on March 18, 2004 by Ghana to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Hermitage museum, St. Petersburg, Russia:

Ghana 2004 Reynolds.jpg

Venus.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Different Roman goddess Statuses

Roman statue of Isis, a major goddess in ancient Egyptian religion whose worship spread throughout the Greco-Roman world, discovered in Cherchell in 1921, exhibited in the Archeological Museum of Cherchell, Algeria, engraved by Jules Piel and issued for use in Algeria in 1952:

Algeria 1952 Isis.jpg

Roman statue of Minerva (Athena), the Roman goddess of wisdom and strategic warfare, from Sweida (Jebel Druze), Roman Civilization, 1st-4th Century, exhibited at the Archaeological And Art Museum, Damascus, issued by UAR (Syria) on September 14, 1958:

Syria 1958 Minerva.jpg

roman statue of Ceres (Demeter), the Roman goddess of agriculture and fertility, old town of Caceres, Extremadura, Spain, issued by Spain on October 31, 1967 to commemorate the 2000th anniversary of the city of Caceres:

Spain 1967 Demeter Caceres.jpg

Roman Statues.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Roman Mythology Stamps

Publius Vergilius Maro (70 BC – 19 BC) usually called Virgil, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He composed three of the most famous poems in Latin literature: the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. In this thread I have written several posts about the Aeneid with many stamps (Page 5).

I added to my collection this lovely set issued by San Marino on July 10, 1981 to commemorate the 2000th anniversary of the death of Vergil. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about the designs but I think the 550L stamp shows Aeneas, hero of the Aeneid epic:

San Marino 1981 Virgil 1.jpg

San Marino 1981 Virgil 2.jpg

San Marino 1981 Virgil 3.jpg

This set was issued in a sheet. The Roman phrase on the sheet bottom, Cecini pascua rura duces, is taken from Virgil's tomb and was supposedly composed by the poet himself: Mantua me genuit, Calabri rapuere, tenet nunc Parthenope. Cecini pascua, rura, duces ("Mantua bore me, the Calabrians snatched me away, now Naples holds me. I sang of pastures, countrysides, leaders"):

San Marino 1981 Virgil SS.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Roman Mythology Stamps - Pax

Pax (Peace) was the Roman goddess of peace derived and adopted from the ancient Greek equivalent Eirene. Pax was the daughter of the Roman king god Jupiter and the goddess Justice.

Minerva protecting Peace from Mars or Peace and War is a painting by Peter Paul Rubens. He produced it in London between 1629 and 1630, during a diplomatic mission from the Spanish Netherlands to Charles I of England. It is now in the National Gallery, London. It shows Minerva (goddess of war, wisdom and crafts) fighting off Mars, with a nude figure of Pax in the center. Here is a stamp shows a detail from the painting, issued for use in St. Lucia on November 28, 1977:

St Lucia 1977 Rubens.jpg

rubens.jpg

The Ara Pacis Augustae (Latin, "Altar of Augustan Peace") is an altar in Rome dedicated to Pax, the Roman goddess of Peace. Here is a relief of Tellus, mother Earth from the Ara Pacis, designed by Corrado Mezzana and issued by Italy for use in Somalia in 1930:

tellus.jpg

Pax is the Latin word for Peace. Here is "The Lion of Saint Mark", representing Mark the Evangelist, on St Mark's Cathedral in Venice holding a Bible with inscription: "PAX TIBI MARCE EVANGELISTA MEVS" (Peace unto you, Mark, my Evangelist), issued by Italy on April 10, 1973:

Italy 1973 Venice.jpg

yakub99
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by yakub99 »

Hi Eli
A little explanation about the other characters:
In Rubens’s painting, an allegory of war and peace, Pax (Peace) is a bountiful nude, offering her breast to Plutus, the child god of wealth. At her feet a satyr examines an overflowing horn of plenty. A winged Cupid and the goddess of marriage, Hymen, take the children to the horn of plenty. Two nymphs are approaching on the left; one of them bearing riches; another one dancing to the sound of a tambourine. To the right of Pax, Minerva, goddess of wisdom, is holding back Mars, god of war, and Alecto, the fury of war, from destroying this scene of abundance.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you, yakub99, for the extra information you added, Toda Raba! :) :)

Egyptian Mythology - Seshat, the Writing goddess

Seshat was the ancient Egyptian goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and writing. She was seen as a scribe and record keeper, and her name means she who scrivens (i.e. she who is the scribe), and is credited with inventing writing. She also became identified as the goddess of accounting, architecture, astronomy, astrology, building, mathematics, and surveying.

Seshat, Writing goddess, issued by Egypt on February 4, 1980 to publicize the 12th Cairo International Book Fair:

Egypt 1980 Seshat.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks Eli for bringing Seshat to our attention. She stood for many admirable branches of human endeavour.
Prompted by your post, I found that there is an interesting Seshat Project, which appears to be a worthy scientific undertaking. Evidence-based reasoning is laudible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seshat_(project)

Seshat_Logo.png
Wikipedia wrote:The Seshat: Global History Databank is an international scientific research project of the nonprofit Evolution Institute. Founded in 2011, the Seshat: Global History Databank gathers data into a single, large database that can be used to test scientific hypotheses. The Databank consults directly with expert scholars to code what historical societies and their environments were like in the form of accessible datapoints and thus forms a digital storehouse for data on the political and social organisation of all human groups from the early modern back to the ancient and neolithic periods. The organisers of this research project contend that the mass of data then can be used to test a variety of competing hypotheses about the rise and fall of large-scale societies around the globe which may help science provide answers to global problems.

The Seshat: Global History Databank claims to be a scientific approach to historical research and its large dataset, though compiled with the intention of being theory-neutral, is frequently of interest to researchers of cliodynamics. The main goal of cliodynamics researchers is to use the scientific method to produce the data necessary to empirically test competing theories. A large interdisciplinary and international team of experts helps the Seshat project to produce a database that is historically rigorous enough to study the past using well-established scientific techniques. Seshat data may be used with sociocultural evolutionary theory or cultural evolutionary theory to identify long-term dynamics that may have had significant effects on the course of human history.
Jared Diamond

The information about the Seshat Project reminded me of the impressive contributions by Jared Diamond.
Jared Mason Diamond, born 10 Sep 1937, is an American geographer, historian, ornithologist, and author best known for his popular science books The Third Chimpanzee (1991); Guns, Germs, and Steel (1997, awarded a Pulitzer Prize); Collapse (2005), The World Until Yesterday (2012), and Upheaval (2019).

Originally trained in biochemistry and physiology, Diamond is known for drawing from a variety of fields, including anthropology, ecology, geography, and evolutionary biology. He is a professor of geography at UCLA.

In 2005, Diamond was ranked ninth on a poll by Prospect and Foreign Policy of the world's top 100 public intellectuals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamond

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, Roger, for the information about Seshat Project. Since I interest in human evolution (I hope you see my thread about paleoanthropology and early man), I read, more than 25 years ago, the Hebrew translation of "The Third Chimpanzee" by Jared Diamond. I still have the book and will look again.

Roman Mythology - Virgil, the Roman Poet

Publius Vergilius Maro (70 BC – 19 BC), usually called Virgil, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He composed three of the most famous poems in Latin literature: the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid.

Portrait of Virgil, Monnus mosaic from Augusta Treverorum (Trier), 3rd century CE., Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier, Germany, issued by Italy on September 19, 1981 to commemorate the 2000th anniversary of the death of Virgil:

Italy 1981 Virgil.jpg

Dante and Virgil in Hell, by Eugène Delacroix (1798 – 1863), issued by Sierra Leone on March 8, 1993 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Louvre museum, Paris:
Dante and Virgil in Hell (Dante et Virgile aux enfers) or The Barque of Dante (La Barque de Dante), depicts events narrated in canto eight of Dante's Inferno; a leaden, smoky mist and the blazing City of the Dead form the backdrop against which the poet Dante fearfully endures his crossing of the River Styx. As his barque ploughs through waters heaving with tormented souls, Dante is steadied by Virgil, the poet of Classical antiquity.

Sierra Leone 1993 Dante and Virgil.jpg

The_Barque_of_Dante.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Roman Mythology Stamps - The Triumph of Venus, by François Boucher

Today, I received as a gift from yakub99 a group of stamps among them one shows the 1740 painting "The Triumph of Venus" by the French painter François Boucher (1703-1770), engraved by Czesław Słania and issued by Sweden on August 27, 1992:
Venus, the goddess of love, was born full-grown from the foam of the sea. Here she is seated in a seashell, surrounded by sea creatures and representations of love: dolphins, tritons, naiads and cupids. The interacting figures, in voluptuous poses, create a scene of lively, sensual movement. (National museum, Stockholm)
Sweden 1992 Venus.jpg

This painting inspired The Birth of Venus by Jean-Honoré Fragonard. Today it exhibited in the Nationalmuseum, Stockholm. Here is a stamp shows detail of the painting, issued by Rwanda on September 23, 1974 to publicize the International Stamp Exhibition "STOCKHOLMIA '74", held in Stockholm:

Rwanda 1974 Boucher Venus.jpg

Another details of the painting are depicted on these two stamps issued in 1971 by Manama:

Manama 1971 Boucher Venus.jpg

François_Boucher.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

In the last year I posted many art engraved stamps in the "Engraved Stamp Beauty" thread. Several of them show mythological themes and fit this thread also. Here they are:

Bacchanalia. 16th century relief on the Summer Palace of Queen Anna in the Royal Garden of Prague Castle, on the left, Faun (Half-man half-goat), engraved by Jiří Antonín Švengsbír and issued by Czechoslovakia on October 22, 1976:

Czechoslovakia 1976 Castle 2.jpg

Hermes and Athena, by Bartholomeus Spranger (1546-1611), Prague Castle, engraved by Josef Herčík and issued by Czechoslovakia on May 7, 1970:

Czechoslovakia 1970 Castle 2.jpg

Sculpture of Nymph Egeria at the castle fountain in Schönbrunn, designed by Ernst Schrom, engraved by Hubert Woyty-Wimmer and issued by Austria on June 20, 1947:

Austria 1947 Art 7.jpg

Head of goddess Victoria (Nike), Detail of the Quadriga on the Brandenburg Gate, designed by Ernst Finke, engraved by Hans-Joachim Fuchs and issued for use in Berlin on December 31, 1967:

Germany Berlin 1967 Sculptures 4.jpg

The Triumph of Ariadne or Bacchus and Ariadne, by Hans Makart (1840 – 1884), designed by Adalbert Pilch, engraved by Rudolf Toth and issued by Austria on June 12, 1961:

Austria 1961 Kunstlerhaus 4.jpg

Bacchanalia, by Karel Škréta (1610-1674), National Gallery, Prague, engraved by Ladislav Jirka and issued by Czechoslovakia on November 27, 1974:

Czechoslovakia 1974 Skreta.jpg

Czechoslovakia 1976 HR.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Norse Mythology - Elves and Birds

An elf (plural: elves) is a type of humanoid supernatural being in Nordic mythology and folklore. In medieval Germanic-speaking cultures, elves generally seem to have been thought of as beings with magical powers and supernatural beauty, ambivalent towards everyday people and capable of either helping or hindering them.

"Elves and Birds", painting by Jóhann Briem (1907-1991), this SS was issued as one of eight SS's in a theme "Nordic Mythology" jointly issued by Scandinavian countries on March 29, 2006;

Iceland 2006 Nordic mythology.jpg

Iceland 2006 Nordic mythology SSa.jpg

yakub99

Post by yakub99 »

At last I finished the "Secondary Gods on Earth" in my website of "Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps".
I will appreciate your remarks on my long journey of finish this site.
https://dubi-yakubovitz.wixsite.com/itzik/copy-of-the-first-generations-1
Special thanks to Eli for encouraging to continue.

Stamp_fun
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Stamp_fun »

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival !

The Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋節), also known as Moon Festival or Mooncake Festival, is a traditional Chinese festival celebrated by many East and Southeast Asian countries and regions. It is the second-most important holiday after Chinese New Year with a history dating back over 3,000 years. The festival is held on the 15th day of the Lunar August with a full moon at night. On this day, the Chinese believe that the moon is at its brightest and fullest size, coinciding with harvest time in the middle of Autumn.

Handbook of Chinese Mythology describes a common version of the myth :
In the ancient past, there was a hero named Hou Yi (后羿)who was excellent at archery. His wife was Chang'e(嫦娥). One year, the ten suns rose in the sky together, causing great disaster to the people. Yi shot down nine of the suns and left only one to provide light. Houyi was then pronounced king by the thankful people. However, he soon became a conceited and tyrannical ruler. In order to live long without death, he asked for the elixir from Xiwangmu (西王母, a Chinese Goddess). But his wife, Chang'e, stole it on the fifteenth of August because she did not want the cruel king to live long and hurt more people. She took the magic potion to prevent her husband from becoming immortal. Houyi was so angry when discovered that Chang'e took the elixir, he shot at his wife as she flew toward the moon, though he missed. Chang'e fled to the moon and became the spirit of the moon. Houyi died soon because he was overcome with great anger. Thereafter, people offer a sacrifice to Chang'e on every fifteenth day of eighth month to commemorate Chang'e.

Hongkong Post issued a set of four stamps on Traditional Chinese Festival on 8 June 1994 depicting four most important Chinese Festivals. The $5 stamp shows Mid-Autumn Festival.

Here is the $5 stamp plus a drawing on Houyi seeing his wife flew towards the Moon :

Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $5.0
Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $5.0
Chang'e flies to the moon
Chang'e flies to the moon

The $1 Stamp depicts the Dragon Boat Festival :

Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $1.0
Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $1.0

The $1.9 Stamp depicts the Lunar New Year :

Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $1.9
Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $1.9

The $2.4 Stamp depicts the Seven Sisters Festival :

Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $2.4
Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival $2.4

FDC :

Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival FDC
Hong Kong Stamp 1994 Traditional Chinese Festival FDC

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thank you Stamp_fun.
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.39.34 am.png
https://www.chinahighlights.com/festivals/mid-autumn-festival-date.htm
Happy Mooncake Festival to all our Stampboards friends!

Hello turtle-bienhoa, and CHOCO886, and of course Stamp_fun! You're included!

Stamp_fun

Post by Stamp_fun »

RogerE wrote:
22 Sep 2021 04:45
Thank you Stamp_fun.
https://www.chinahighlights.com/festivals/mid-autumn-festival-date.htm
Happy Mooncake Festival to all our Stampboards friends!

Hello turtle-bienhoa, and CHOCO886, and of course Stamp_fun! You're included!

Thank you, Roger! Beautiful mooncakes! look delicious :D
I wish you, your family and friends on Stampboards in Australia are safe and sound, the earthquake in Victoria Mansfield this morning did not cause any harm to you all.

Stamp_fun

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you, Stamp_fun, for your great contribution! I like your different knowledgeable posts in this thread and in many other different threads - all with great scans accompanied with full descriptions, thanks!! :) :)

Roman Mythology Stamps - Rhea Sylvia

Rhea Silvia was the mythical mother of the twins Romulus and Remus, who founded the city of Rome. The Legend of Rhea Silvia recounts how she was raped by Mars while she was a Vestal Virgin and as a result became the Mother of Romulus and Remus the founders of Rome. The story was mentioned both in the Aeneid and in the works of Ovid. Modern academics consider both how Rhea Silvia is relevant for the treatment of rape victims in Roman mythology as well as the different ways she is portrayed in Roman art. (wikipedia)

Mars and Rhea Sylvia, by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), issued by Bhutan on February 20, 1991 to commemorate the 350th anniversary death of Rubens:

Bhutan 1991 Rhea Sylvia SS.jpg

Bhutan 1991 Rhea Sylvia.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Aztec Mythology (I)

It is a long time since I posted about American mythologies, not because I have no stamps, but because I have no information about the figures depicted on the stamps. I decided to post the stamps even without information and hope members here can help to identify the images.

Several international sport events were held in Mexico in the last decades. Many countries issued stamps to publicize the events and show figure from Aztec culture and mythology. I have several sets from different countries. Here are from Monaco and Czechoslovakia;

Football World Cup, Mexico 1986, designed end engraved by Georges Bétemps and issued by Monaco on May 22, 1986. Note the Aztec figure on the background of each stamp:

Monaco 1986 Football 1.jpg

Monaco 1986 Football 2.jpg

Summer Olympic Games, Mexico 1968, engraved by Bedřich Housa (30h. and 40h.) and Josef Herčík (1K.) and issued by Czechoslovakia on April 30, 1968:

Czechoslovakia 1968 Olympics 1.jpg

Czechoslovakia 1968 Olympics 2.jpg

Czechoslovakia 1968 Olympics 3.jpg

I have more from Paraguay and Upper Yafa, will post them next time. Eli

Stamp_fun

Post by Stamp_fun »

Thank you, Eli, for your kind words! I like to do a bit of research before posting (if I have the time) and I learn something new or refresh my memories every time I do a post. I use a HP Officejet 6970 which only allows me a 600 dpi, if it retires then I might be able to get a better one :)

Nezha(哪吒)has frequently appeared in Chinese mythology and ancient Chinese literature such as Fengshen Yanyi (= Investiture of the Gods 封神演義), although the traditional Chinese story of Nezha Conquering the Sea is the most well known among Chinese households. In Journey to the West (西游記), Nezha was a general under his father, "Pagoda-wielding Heavenly King" Li Jing. He fought the Monkey King, Sun Wukong, when the latter rebelled against the Jade Emperor. They later became friends. Nezha made some appearances in the novel to help the four protagonists defeat powerful demons.

We did read stories about Nezha when we were small kids: Nezha was a very naughty boy who caused lots of trouble to his parents, until one day, the trouble that he had caused was too big that he had to commit suicide and return his flesh to his mother and bones to his father in order to end the relationship with the parents. Then Nezha's soul went to the Buddha, who resurrected him and Nezha then re-born to become a god to protect people. In traditional folklore, Nezha flies around swiftly on his wind fire wheels. :roll:

The PRC issued a set of six stamps on 28 August 2021 depicting six storylines of a film called "Nezha Naohai (Nezha Conquering the Sea哪吒閙海" produced by Shanghai Fine Arts Film Studio (released on 19 May 1979)。 The film was China's first wide-screen animated feature film, and was also the first Chinese-language animated film to be exhibited in Cannes.

Stamp 6-1 Nezha’s birth

PRC stamps 2021-17 6-1
PRC stamps 2021-17 6-1

Stamp 6-2 childhood fun

PRC stamps 2021-17 6-2
PRC stamps 2021-17 6-2
Stamp 6-3 capture of Ao Bing

PRC stamps 2021-17 6-3
PRC stamps 2021-17 6-3
Stamp 6-4 Fighting Dragon King

PRC stamps 2021-17 6-4
PRC stamps 2021-17 6-4
Stamp 6-5 Nezha Rebirth

PRC stamps 2021-17 6-5
PRC stamps 2021-17 6-5
Stamp 6-6 Dinghai Anmin 定海安民 = calm the sea and protect people

PRC stamps 2021-17 6-6
PRC stamps 2021-17 6-6
Set of six

PRC stamps 2021-17 set of six
PRC stamps 2021-17 set of six

Eli

Post by Eli »

Hindu Mythology Stamps - Hindu Sculptures

Hindu Sculptures, issued for use in French India on July 8, 1948. I have no information about the four last stamps:

Vishnu and Apsara:
Vishnu, also known as Narayana, is one of the principal deities of Hinduism. He is the supreme being within Vaishnavism. Vishnu is known as "The Preserver" within the Trimurti, the triple deity of supreme divinity that includes Brahma and Shiva.
An Apsara is a type of female spirit of the clouds and waters in Hindu and Buddhist culture. In Indian mythology, apsaras are beautiful, supernatural female beings. They are youthful and elegant, and superb in the art of dancing. They are often wives of the Gandharvas, the court musicians of Indra.

French India 1.jpg

Dvarabalagar:

French India 2.jpg

Tigoupalagar and Temple Guardian:

French India 3.jpg

Each stamp issued in three different colors and values:

Page 116 - Hindu Sculptures.jpg

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Nice set of stamps, and attractive album page. Thanks Eli.
French India, 1948: One of the Tigoupalagar<br />Face value 1r., 4fa.,12ca.
French India, 1948: One of the Tigoupalagar
Face value 1r., 4fa.,12ca.
Wikipedia tells us about the complicated currency structure:
The roupie or rupee was the currency of French India. It was equal to the Indian rupee issued by the British and then Indian governments. Until 1871 it was issued as coins with the roupie divided into 8 fanons, each of 3 doudous or 20 cash. From 1871, banknotes were issued by France's Banque de l'Indochine, which circulated alongside coins issued by British India.
French India, 1 rupee banknote
French India, 1 rupee banknote
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.59.16 pm.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Indian_rupee
Converting the face value of the stamp to the smallest unit (caches)
1r 4fa 12ca = 160 + 4 x 20 + 12 = 252 caches
252/160 = 1.575 rupees
1.575/3.31 = USD 0.48 = 48 US cents (1948)
The equivalent purchasing power today is USD 5.40 (2021)

Eli

Post by Eli »

Many thank, Roger, for the nice description about the currency used in French India. Indeed, it was a complicated units to calculate!

The Four Seasons in Roman Mythology

Personification of the four seasons is a well known motif in most mythologies of the world. In Roman mythology, Vertumnus is the god of seasons, change and plant growth, as well as gardens and fruit trees. In addition, each season has a specific Roman god: Aquilo (winter), Auster (Summer), Favionus (Spring) and god of Autumn which I can't find his name. Each season has also a special personification: Hiems (Winter), Autumnus (Autumn), Aestas (Summer) and Ver (Spring).

Roman personifications of the four seasons: Winter, Autumn, Summer and Spring, Mosaic from Ein Beida, Algeria, issued by Algeria on April 21, 1977:

Algeria 1977 Seasons 1.jpg

Algeria 1977 Seasons 2.jpg

Algeria 1977 Seasons 3.jpg

Algeria 1977 Seasons 4.jpg

Algeria 1977 Seasons FDC.jpg

kelliegirl33
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by kelliegirl33 »

Hermes (/ˈhɜːrmiːz/; Greek: Ἑρμῆς) is an Olympian deity in ancient Greek religion and mythology. Hermes is considered the herald of the gods. He is also considered the protector of human heralds, travellers, thieves,[3] merchants, and orators.[4][5] He is able to move quickly and freely between the worlds of the mortal and the divine, aided by his winged sandals. Hermes plays the role of the psychopomp or "soul guide"—a conductor of souls into the afterlife.[
xGREECE_Sc_0001_0007_Mint.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Nn0MU6QOep (1).jpg

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”