Show your Australia Pre-Decimal stamps on Commercial Covers

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Show your Australia Pre-Decimal stamps on Commercial Cov

Post by MJ's pet »

ImageImage

Geez, if it is philatelic with late-ish use of the 1927 Canberra, this is a tough crowd.

The sender Schoch is very obviously a German surname.

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

MJ's pet wrote:ImageImage

Geez, if it is philatelic with late-ish use of the 1927 Canberra, this is a tough crowd.

"Tough crowd"? I don't think so.

The cover was obviously presented at Elizabeth St P.O. stamped-up, probably as seen, but possibly the Airmail stamps were added at counter.

Why Philatelic? There is no way the Canberra stamp was still in stock at that major P.O. more than two years after issue.

Further, I doubt that the 3d Kookaburra was still available, nine months after it was issued.

The "convenient" placement of the Airmail stamps, within a confined space delineated by typewritten details, suggests they were more likely to have been in place when cover was presented at counter.

If "stamped" at P.O., a 9d Kangaroo would have been a more believable inclusion, rather than Airmail stamps x3, were the cover commercial (notwithstanding the out-of-period use of commem stamps).

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Rod Perry wrote:If "stamped" at P.O., a 9d Kangaroo would have been a more believable inclusion, rather than Airmail stamps x3, were the cover commercial (notwithstanding the out-of-period use of commem stamps).
Not necessarily. Why wouldn't the P.O. apply airmail stamps for the airmail fee?:
This would suggest that the 3 x 3d airmail stamps paid the US airmail fee
I don't think this cover is philatelic in the sense it was fabricated to produce a collectable airmail cover. It seems commercial, and sent by a collector who applied 2 stamps he had. Today, quite collectable as a airmail cover with the US fee paid in Australian stamps.

The Canberra and the Kooka may be late uses but I would prefer evidence of off-sale dates in Melbourne rather than speculation.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Evidence of off-sale dates:

Canberra and Kookaburra stamps described as "obsolete" by December 1927

'News in Brief', Advertiser (Hurstbridge, Vic.) 16 Dec 1927 p.2.

roninrr
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by roninrr »

Rod Perry wrote:

The cover was obviously presented at Elizabeth St P.O. stamped-up, probably as seen, but possibly the Airmail stamps were added at counter.

Why Philatelic? There is no way the Canberra stamp was still in stock at that major P.O. more than two years after issue.

Further, I doubt that the 3d Kookaburra was still available, nine months after it was issued.

The "convenient" placement of the Airmail stamps, within a confined space delineated by typewritten details, suggests they were more likely to have been in place when cover was presented at counter.

If "stamped" at P.O., a 9d Kangaroo would have been a more believable inclusion, rather than Airmail stamps x3, were the cover commercial (notwithstanding the out-of-period use of commem stamps).

Rod
MJ's Pet/Rod Perry

Thank you for your responses which are very interesting (and becoming 'lively') but somewhat off the point.

I am a collector of 'definable and intended postal usage' to complement my Australian pre-decimal collection rather than a commercial use exhibitor, so am not really concerned about commercial v. philatelic unless it is obviously a contrived make-up for some purpose.

My purpose was to seek information on the postal usage of Australian stamps (in this case the 3d airmail) for the internal US airmail fee. In particular I was hoping that somebody might identify the red airmail backstamp possibly as US marker.

I do have some quibbles with Rod's interpretation solely on the basis of late use of the Canberra and Kookaburra stamps.

Looking at the date of issue of possible alternatives around the date of the letter (5 August 1929).

For the 1½d British Empire rate:

ACSC 92 14 Jan 927
ACSC 132 9 May 1927
(5 Aug 1929)
ACSC 138 28 Sep 1929
ACSC 93 16 Sep 1930

and for the 3d registration fee:

ACSC 107 Feb 1928
ACSC 133 2 Nov 1928
(5 Aug 1929)
ACSC 108 28 Sep 1929

Not unreasonable for an individual to have copies of ACSC 132 and 138 to use for correspondence given they were the first commemoratives and have not been replaced by new stamps.

Anyway they do represent correct postal usage.

Contrary to Rod's comment about the 'convenient' placement of the airmail stamps, I think Mr Schoch would have been quite upset to be given 3 unwieldy 3d stamps to put in the space available.

Those of us of German descent are nothing if not fastidious about keeping things squared up. I would have been unhappy to have to place the 3rd airmail stamp out of alignment with the Canberra stamp to avoid covering the address.

As an observation on philatelic mail I show the following cover also containing the same 'offending' stamps in later use (1937).

The back (front?) of the cover identifies the sender as one Wm. Ackland presumably using up excess stock to post some stamps to a client.

No doubt 'philatelic' (and later in use than I would accept for my 'postal usage' collection) although for what 'contrivance' as the postal usage is correct.

Which gets back to initial question about the usage of 3 x 3d airmail stamps tp pay the US ( and possibly Canadian) internal airmail fee.

Dick Roennfeldt

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

roninrr wrote:
Rod Perry wrote:

Rod
MJ's Pet/Rod Perry

Thank you for your responses which are very interesting (and becoming 'lively') but somewhat off the point.

I am a collector of 'definable and intended postal usage' to complement my Australian pre-decimal collection rather than a commercial use exhibitor, so am not really concerned about commercial v. philatelic unless it is obviously a contrived make-up for some purpose.

My purpose was to seek information on the postal usage of Australian stamps (in this case the 3d airmail) for the internal US airmail fee. In particular I was hoping that somebody might identify the red airmail backstamp possibly as US marker.

I do have some quibbles with Rod's interpretation solely on the basis of late use of the Canberra and Kookaburra stamps.

Looking at the date of issue of possible alternatives around the date of the letter (5 August 1929).

For the 1½d British Empire rate:

ACSC 92 14 Jan 927
ACSC 132 9 May 1927
(5 Aug 1929)
ACSC 138 28 Sep 1929
ACSC 93 16 Sep 1930

and for the 3d registration fee:

ACSC 107 Feb 1928
ACSC 133 2 Nov 1928
(5 Aug 1929)
ACSC 108 28 Sep 1929

Not unreasonable for an individual to have copies of ACSC 132 and 138 to use for correspondence given they were the first commemoratives and have not been replaced by new stamps.

Anyway they do represent correct postal usage.

Contrary to Rod's comment about the 'convenient' placement of the airmail stamps, I think Mr Schoch would have been quite upset to be given 3 unwieldy 3d stamps to put in the space available.

Those of us of German descent are nothing if not fastidious about keeping things squared up. I would have been unhappy to have to place the 3rd airmail stamp out of alignment with the Canberra stamp to avoid covering the address.

As an observation on philatelic mail I show the following cover also containing the same 'offending' stamps in later use (1937).

The back (front?) of the cover identifies the sender as one Wm. Ackland presumably using up excess stock to post some stamps to a client.

No doubt 'philatelic' (and later in use than I would accept for my 'postal usage' collection) although for what 'contrivance' as the postal usage is correct.

Which gets back to initial question about the usage of 3 x 3d airmail stamps tp pay the US ( and possibly Canadian) internal airmail fee.

Dick Roennfeldt
Dick, your comment in original post: "The typing on the cover (by air-mail across America) suggests that the transit for the letter was pre-planned and the sender has possibly used the 1926 Post Office Guide which would have identified 9d (16 cents) as the US airmail fee." is my only conclusion. (my emphasis)

By the by, just noticed the 3d Kooka on subject cover is from miniature sheet.

Rod

Wayne1951
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Wayne1951 »

1937 KGV ½d orange block of 4 on cover to Wilcox Smith & Co., N.Z. with "Kuitpo Colony, S.A." postmark
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

Kiwidude
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Kiwidude »

Hi Wayne,

Did you see the top right stamp has the spur in left value ??

Between the outer edge & the left of the 1.

I'm not sure. How much they are ?

Peter

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

Two 2d KGVI issues paid the 3d surface rate plus 1d Late Fee from Sydney to San Francisco. The cover was mailed on 22 JY 38. The cancel reads "Posted Ship Side / Sydney".
Best wishes,
AndrewG

Wayne1951

Post by Wayne1951 »

Kiwidude wrote:Hi Wayne,

Did you see the top right stamp has the spur in left value ??

Between the outer edge & the left of the 1.

I'm not sure. How much they are ?

Peter
Thank you for pointing it out Peter. It is indeed. Brusden White show used singles valued at $20, 4 x the normal stamp. As to value on cover, do fly speckers even collect varieties on cover?
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Nice looking LATE FEE cover there.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

Just a couple that I picked up at a local fair yesterday

I like this next one although it looks wonky it is the actual envelope that is - it is not cut down or anything... 2/8d assume that was the right rate? Form the Consulate General of the Netherlands

Lundy :D

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

I like this next one although it looks wonky it is the actual envelope that is - it is not cut down or anything... 2/8d assume that was the right rate? Form the Consulate General of the Netherlands
Possibly overweight and contained documents like passports.

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

Three 1d QEII issues paid the armed forces airmail concession from Melbourne to Surrey, England:
The date is indistinct.

The U.K. Service Liaison cachet appears to be reddish.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

pmc
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by pmc »

Any help with rate would be appreciated...
1959 (Sep 15) long-format airmail cover with 1959 (Jul 15) 3/- Waratah joined pair, from A. L. Adams and Partners, chartered accountants of Narrandera, New South Wales, Australia, to Rotary International, Evanston, Illinois, USA.

Closeup of 3/- Waratah joined pair tied to cover with 15 Sep 1959, Narrandera, cds.

Detail of the handstamp of A. L. Adams and Partners, chartered accountants, on rear flap.
Regards Peter - Twitter: Peter@stampden

briggia

Post by briggia »

pmc wrote:Any help with rate would be appreciated...
1959 (Sep 15) long-format airmail cover with 1959 (Jul 15) 3/- Waratah joined pair, from A. L. Adams and Partners, chartered accountants of Narrandera, New South Wales, Australia, to Rotary International, Evanston, Illinois, USA.

Closeup of 3/- Waratah joined pair tied to cover with 15 Sep 1959, Narrandera, cds.

Detail of the handstamp of A. L. Adams and Partners, chartered accountants, on rear flap.
Peter

From 14th July 1958 the airmail fee for mail to the US was 2/- per ½oz.

So your lovely cover dated 15 SE 58 pays 3rd weight step to 1½oz.

Cheers

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.

pmc

Post by pmc »

Thank you briggia. Immense help :D

GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

Not a commercial cover but pre-decimal usage on a Tasmanian postcard - "Hut at Fern Tree Bower, Mt Wellington" sent from Hobart to Paris, France.

Unfortunately the date is not clear as to year - 24 MR (19)?? - so I think it could have been one of five possible years.

The postcard rate for 24 March 1919 and 1920 was 1d postage plus 1/2d "war tax" and for 24 March 1921, 1922 and 1923 postage was 1.1/2d. I suspect it would be either 1919 or 1920 with the Tasmanian stamp maybe subsequently added to cover the "war tax".

Any thoughts? Cheers, Gordon.

Didge
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Didge »

briggia wrote:

Peter

Cheers

briggia
Briggia,

Exactly right I think. And what a lovely cover it is.

Tim

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

GYDAM wrote:Image

Not a commercial cover but pre-decimal usage on a Tasmanian postcard - "Hut at Fern Tree Bower, Mt Wellington" sent from Hobart to Paris, France.

Unfortunately the date is not clear as to year - 24 MR (19)?? - so I think it could have been one of five possible years.

The postcard rate for 24 March 1919 and 1920 was 1d postage plus 1/2d "war tax" and for 24 March 1921, 1922 and 1923 postage was 1.1/2d. I suspect it would be either 1919 or 1920 with the Tasmanian stamp maybe subsequently added to cover the "war tax".

The postcard rate to Europe pre-Oct 28 1918 was 1½d, Gordon.

Tas had significant remainder stock of the Pictorial ½d to use-up, following issue of Kangaroo replacement.

I believe your card is more likely to be 1913 than any subsequent year, and to be non-philatelic.

A nice franking for the then popular postcard exchange fad, so popular with Edwardian young ladies!

Rod

briggia

Post by briggia »

Didge wrote:
briggia wrote:

Cheers

briggia
Briggia,

Exactly right I think. And what a lovely cover it is.

Tim
Anyone seen/have a triple of the same? I’ve not seen more than a pair. I wonder what the highest franking using just the 3/- is??

Cheers

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.

GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

Rod Perry wrote:
GYDAM wrote:Image

The postcard rate to Europe pre-Oct 28 1918 was 1½d, Gordon.

Tas had significant remainder stock of the Pictorial ½d to use-up, following issue of Kangaroo replacement.

I believe your card is more likely to be 1913 than any subsequent year, and to be non-philatelic.

A nice franking for the then popular postcard exchange fad, so popular with Edwardian young ladies!

Rod
Thanks, Rod, for your comments - makes a lot of sense. Cheers, Gordon.

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Picked this rather average cover up recently.
Two things that caught my eye are the date stamp?
Anyone have any idea
and the possibility of it being a Die 1 & Die 11 combo :lol:

josto
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by josto »

Hi!

Here is a registered censored cover with a 5½d Emu stamp from Tate Tin Mines to Brisbane. The postmark is TATE Queensland dated 15 JA 44. I found out, that the postmark is rated R. The cover has a blue registration label with Manuscript TATE and Number 29, maybe there were not to many registered covers sent from there!? Are there also rarity ratings for such registration labels?

Any information would be great!

Greetings

josto

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

PAMPSTAMP. Your postmark is the type 5 shown. Travelling Post Office Southern & Western Railway.

Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

JOSTO. Your postmark is type 1(ii). Nice registration label but no ratings done for these but usually matches the postmark rating.

Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:PAMPSTAMP. Your postmark is the type 5 shown. Travelling Post Office Southern & Western Railway.

Thanks for the info Ubobo

Pampstamp

Post by Pampstamp »

I also picked up this Die1 with 2(C)e Notch in left frame SW of WA
the CV for a used stamp only is $20

The postmark Emerald 2015?

It also appears to have an inverted watermark

Anybody have any idea what its value would be???

pmc

Post by pmc »

Not tremendously difficult to find a couple of 2/- roos on cover...
...but finding a corner pair with jubilee lines (however truncated) is a thing of beauty!

MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Pampstamp - this is a good cover from another perspective - use of barred numerals on Kangaroos. Probably towards the end of use of the numeral at this Post Office.

If Hugh Freeman was alive I suspect you would have been separated from this cover rather quickly. :lol:

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

A 3½d on 3d bright blue King George VI issue and a 9d Platypus paid the surface rate from Australia to the US and the airmail rate from the US to Canada: 2½d surface and 10d for the US-Canada airmail rate. Maybe?
The cover was mailed from Melbourne to New Toronto, Canada and was postmarked on 2 MR 42.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

The other possibility is that the 3½d paid for the surface mail rate to the United States and 9d for the US to Canada airmail rate.
Best wishes,
AndrewG

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

agondocz wrote:Hi,

The other possibility is that the 3½d paid for the surface mail rate to the United States and 9d for the US to Canada airmail rate.
Best wishes,
AndrewG
I think this is the more likely situation, Andrew, given the typewritten "U.S.A. - Canada" in vicinity of Air Mail indicator.

A very unusual, and desirable usage item for a KGVI Usage collection, amongst other disciplines.

Rod

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

Rod, I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

The cover was sent registered by surface mail from Lower Mitcham, South Australia to Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was postmarked on 29 APR 61.
The cover is franked with a 3/ Waratah and a 1d QE11. The rate appears to have paid 2/ for registration and 1/1d for the 1-2 oz. surface rate (8d + 5d).

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

I thought this was an attractive usage to pay the 2/3 rate

Ballandean to London

Lundy :D

pmc

Post by pmc »

Lundy wrote:I thought this was an attractive usage to pay the 2/3 rate
I agree! In my experience, the following combination (1/6 Galah + 9d Magpie) is a tad more common (but equally pleasant)...

pmc

Post by pmc »

A bit roughly opened, but I still like it...
1959 (Nov 10) redirected cover with 1d QEII + 4d Centenary of Self Government in Queensland for the 5d domestic letter rate (rate increase from 4d to 5d on Oct 1, 1959), tied to cover with short-term "Support Lord Mayor's Hospital Appeal" slogan cancel.

Slogan was used at the Melbourne Mail Exchange in the weeks commencing 1 September 1959. It was used annually from 1957 to 1976, generally in September – October. However, Occleshaw notes that usage in November has been recorded. This cover is an example of an uncharacteristic November usage.

Addressed to Australian botanist and ecologist, Dr. David Hungerford Ashton (1927-2005), aboard the Orient & Pacific Lines 1,503-passenger ocean liner, SS Orsova, in Sydney, but stamped "RECEIVED AFTER DISEMBARKATION" and redirected to Dr. Ashton's long-term home at 92 Warrigal Road, Surrey Hills, Melbourne (incorrect spelling on cover).

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Some airmail covers, I presume they are paying the correct rate:

Brisbane to Chicago - 1/- Lyre Bird & 6d Kookaburra - 8th September 1947.
Nice company receiving mark.

Hobart to Minneapolis - 1/- Lyre Bird & KGVI 3½d bright blue & 2½d Scarlet - 2nd March 1948.
Nice machine slogan cancel - "Keep Prices Down Buy Savings Certificates".

Sydney to UK - 2/- Crocodile - 6th August 1954.
Nice machine slogan cancel - "Visit Your Schools Education Week".
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Some local ones this time:

Australian Red Cross Society cover to Moorabbin - 3rd August 1954
Melbourne machine slogan cancel - "Visit Your Schools Education Week".

Meter Cancel - "The Companywith an Eye in the Future
Melbourne to East Brighton - 22nd October 1965

Cut down relief "GG" (MILPO Wagga Wagga) to Strathfield on 2½d Lawson - 12th August 1949.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

pmc

Post by pmc »

Sure, its philatelic, but still an attractive piece :D
1936 (April 9) cover bearing a solo KGV Head 1d Green, tied to cover with a ship's dumb cancel. Cover also bears a New Zealand "MARINE POST OFFICE / R.M.M.S. AORANGI" cancellation, and various postage due marks. British Postage Due 2d stamp applied and tied to cover with cancellation in violet ink. Addressed to Mr. C. W. Ward of Keston Lodge, 14 Tavistock Road, Croydon, England.

Ward was a member of the Croydon Philatelic Society, and the author and publisher of several books on travelling post offices, including New Zealand marine & railway T.P.O's: Their histories & postmarks, published 1951.
New Zealand marine & railway T.P.O's: Their histories & postmarks by C.W. Ward
Photo: amazon.com
The author's signature on this "presentation copy" shows that Ward had addressed this cover to himself.
Detail of author's signature
Photo: amazon.com
The following image from the book (found online) shows an illustration of the dumb cancel used on this cover (Q).
Image from C.W. Ward's New Zealand marine & railway T.P.O's

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Victoria & Melbourne Centenary slogan cancel on 2d Red Centenary of Victoria stamp.
Melbourne GPO to the Sun News Pictorial newspaper - 11th August 1934.
The right cancel on the right stamp. :)
Commercial use on first day of 3½d Centenary of Responsible Government .
Melbourne to Preston with Olympic Slogan cancel - 26th October 1956 .

This stamp was only the correct letter rate for 4 days as the rate increased
on 31st October 1956 when replaced by the 4d Olympic Games. :)

danyeung
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by danyeung »

Hi BigSaint,

What a beauty :D

This one unfortunately posted in October 1956.

Didge

Post by Didge »

BigSaint wrote:
Victoria & Melbourne Centenary slogan cancel on 2d Red Centenary of Victoria stamp.
Melbourne GPO to the Sun News Pictorial newspaper - 11th August 1934.
The right cancel on the right stamp. :)
Commercial use on first day of 3½d Centenary of Responsible Government .
Melbourne to Preston with Olympic Slogan cancel - 26th October 1956 .

This stamp was only the correct letter rate for 4 days as the rate increased
on 31st October 1956 when replaced by the 4d Olympic Games. :)
Brad,

The 3½d Responsible Government is a cracker. Obviously rare with only four days that it was valid for usage. I have a couple but that does not mean that they are readily available. Worth a couple of hundred dollars I reckon.

Tim

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

A 1/ Colombo Plan paid the airmail postcard rate from Werribee, Victoria to Oak Ridge, Tennessee. The postmark is dated 16 JE 66.

The stamp was punctured "VG".
Best wishes,
AndrewG

manfaefife
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by manfaefife »

Colourful as it is, isn't 4 Bob a tad excessive for 1957 to England ?
Donald.
Collector of Kirkcaldy Postcards & Postal History

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

I am not sure what to make of this cover:
The cover was mailed from RAAF AFPO 30 Japan and was postmarked 26 MR 56. At that time registration was 9d, which was paid by the 6d Kookaburra and the 3d QEII. Perhaps airmail to Sydney and then by surface, which was free(?)

Best wishes,
AndrewG

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hello manfaefife,

I do know if I had received:
back in 1957 I would have been thrilled.

Perhaps paid the airmail rate for a ½-1oz letter?

Best wishes,
AndrewG

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Two covers paying the registered commercial papers rate:

The first cover was postmarked on 7 AU 56 from Adelaide to Nairne. It was franked with a 1/ Lyrebird, which paid the 3d commercial papers rate plus the 9d registration fee:
The second cover was postmarked on 13 NO 56 from Adelaide to Nairne. It was franked with a 1/6d Hermes and a ½d Kangaroo, which paid the 3½d commercial papers rate plus the 1/3d registration fee.
Postal rates were increased on 1 October 1956.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

agondocz

Post by agondocz »

Hi,

Was the Late Fee cancel applied in error to this 2½d red KGVI cover? If the cancel is correct, the 2½d might have paid 1½d for the printed matter or commercial papers rate plus 1d for the Late Fee. If not, the 2½d paid the up to 1oz surface rate from Australia to Kenya.
The cover was postmarked on 19 NOV 1942 at 6:30pm. It was mailed from Sydney and addressed to Nairobi, Kenya.

Best wishes,
AndrewG

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

agondocz wrote:Hi,

Was the Late Fee cancel applied in error to this 2½d red KGVI cover? If the cancel is correct, the 2½d might have paid 1½d for the printed matter or commercial papers rate plus 1d for the Late Fee. If not, the 2½d paid the up to 1oz surface rate from Australia to Kenya.
The cover was postmarked on 19 NOV 1942 at 6:30pm. It was mailed from Sydney and addressed to Nairobi, Kenya.

Best wishes,
AndrewG
I think your first option, Printed matter (PM), is probably correct, Andrew.

If cover is unsealed, that would confirm P.M. (probably an invoice originally enclosed).

Even if cover is sealed, that may have been effected by Censor, after inspecting, who would not be concerned with Post Office regulations (requiring that P.M. remain unsealed).

If confirmed as P.M. + Late fee, it's a very good usage item for the otherwise uber common stamp.

Rod

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”