Engraved Stamp Beauties

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Engraved Stamp Beauties

Post by Eli »

Centenary of the International Meteorological Organization, Designed by Ky Phungchaleun, Engraved by Claude Jumelet (90K) and Didier Guedron (150K) and issued on October 24, 1973 by the Kingdom of Laos. Designs show figures from Lao mythology connected to meteorology:

Nang Mekhala, goddess of the sea, flies over the stormy sea and save sailors from sunken ships with her magic emerald ring. According to a Laotian legend, Ramasoun, the sea storm demon, combats her for ever and try to steal her magic ring.
On the bottom: The Vientiane meteorological service center:

Chariot of the Sun, mural painting of Wattay airport, Vientiane – God of the Sun fights against god Asoun in the space. The chariot is driven by Phoenix, aviation symbol, guided by Prince Matouli:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Angkor is a region of Cambodia that served as the seat of the Khmer Empire, which flourished from the 9th to 13th centuries. The Angkorian period began in AD 802, when the Khmer Hindu monarch Jayavarman II declared himself a "universal monarch" and "god-king", until 1431, when Ayutthayan invaders sacked the Khmer capital.

The ruins of Angkor are located in amid forests and farmland near Siem Reap, and are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temples of the Angkor area number over one thousand, ranging in scale from nondescript piles of brick rubble scattered through rice fields to the magnificent Angkor Wat, the world's largest single religious monument. Many of the temples at Angkor have been restored, and together, they comprise the most significant site of Khmer architecture.

Stone carvings depict scenes from the Hindu mythology are exist in Angkor temples. The largest of them are exist in Angkor Wat, in which the epics of the Ramayana and the Churning of the Ocean Milk are represented on their long walls. Many Apsara statutes were also been engraved in the temple walls.

Khmer Temples of Angkor, designed and engraved by different designers as indicated and issued on February 1, 1966 by Cambodia:

Preah Ko - Designed and engraved by Jean Pheulpin:

Baksei Chamkrong - Designed and engraved by Claude Hertenberger:

Bantei Srey - Designed and engraved by Jacques Gauthier:

Angkor Wat - Designed and engraved by Michel Monvoisin:

Bayon - Designed and engraved by Charles Mazelin:

On April 27, 1967, these stamps, except the 7R, were reissued overprinted "International Year of Tourism 1967":

Eli

Post by Eli »

The following 1939 souvenir sheet shows paintings by the Spanish painter Diego Velázquez (1599 – 1660). I bought it for my "mythologies of the world" stamp collection. The SS is not listed by catalogues and nigelcjust told me it is a charity item in aid of orphans of the post office. I have no information about who issued this SS and who did the great engraving of it. I posted the stamps in different threads so here they are all together:

"The Spinners" (The relation to Greek mythology is that the spinners working in a hall decorated with a painting of Arachne punished by Minerva):

"The Forge of Vulcan". The painting shows god Apollo visits Vulcan (Hephaestus) in his forge to tell him that his wife, Venus, having an affair with Mars, god of war, in his bedroom:

"The feast of Bacchus" or "the triumph of Bacchus", depicting Bacchus, god of the grape harvest and wine, surrounded by drunks:

"The Surrender of Breda":

"Las Meninas" (Spanish for "The Ladies-in-waiting"):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Here is my most favorite set of Laos: The Asian Elephant. I remember as a young boy, years before I know about Laos, how I was fascinated from these great stamps. Stamps were designed by Chamnane Prisayane and engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued on March 17, 1958. The first prize for best French philatelic art in 1958 (Grand prix de l'Art Philatélique Français) was given to the engraver, Jean Pheulpin, for excellent gravure work of one of the stamps from this set.

Color Assays:

Complete set on a cover sent to USA (address label was removed. Arrival postmark from Engelwood N.J. was applied on the back:

Anita
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Anita »

Eli wrote:Here is my most favorite set of Laos: The Asian Elephant. I remember as a young boy, years before I know about Laos, how I was fascinated from these great stamps. Stamps were designed by Chamnane Prisayane and engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued on March 17, 1958. The first prize for best French philatelic art in 1958 (Grand prix de l'Art Philatélique Français) was given to the engraver, Jean Pheulpin, for excellent gravure work of one of the stamps from this set.
Wow, this really is a gorgeous set. Thanks for sharing 8) I might have to try and hunt down one of those sets myself.
Started collecting Commonwealth Australian stamps. Then Australian kangaroo flaws. Then Australian pre-decimal flaws. Have now got my eye on worldwide birds, animals, gardening/backyards and engraved beauties. Oh, and maybe volcanoes. Who knows what tomorrow will bring :mrgreen:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks, Anita :)

Fauna, designed by V. Kolganov and issued by the USSR on December 16, 1977:

Common European Viper (Vipera berus):

Lebetine Viper (Vipera lebetina):

Saw-scaled Viper (Echis carinatus):

Siberian Pit Viper (Agkistrodon halys caraganus):

Indian Cobra (Naja naja):

Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus):

Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus):

Siberian Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks to a great help from several members including link to engraved stamps web site, I could inform that the animal stamps I posted above were designed by Kolganov and engraved by different engravers: 1K: Tkachenko A., 4K: Mokrousov I., 6K: Nikitina TM., 10K: Mayorova L., 12K: Smirnov V., 16K: Savelev V., 20K & 30K: Silyanova M.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Capitals of Soviet Republics, designed by S. Pomansky, engraved by different engravers as indicated and issued by the USSR in two parts on October 4, 1958 and December 5, 1958.

Technical details I got from several members.Thanks all!!

Moscow, Capital of Russia, engraved by T. Nikitina:

Kiev, Capital of Ukraine, engraved by L. Mayorova:

Minsk, Capital of Belarus, engraved by L. Mayorova:

Tashkent, Capital of Uzbekistan, engraved by V. Smirnov:

Alma-Ata, Capital of Kazakhstan, engraved by T. Nikitina:

Riga, Capital of Latvia, engraved by I. Sapronov:

Frunze (Bishkek), Capital of Kyrgyzstan, engraved by I. Mokrousov:

Yerevan, Capital of Armenia, engraved by L. Mayorova:

Tallinn, Capital of Estonia, engraved by A. Aferov:

Missing from my collection 6 stamps of this set show: Ashakhabad, Tbilisi, Stalinabad (Dushanbe), Vilnius, Kishinev and Baku.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Hanuman monkey-god, the loyal servant of Lord Rama, hero of the Hindu epic - the Ramayana.

Here are two engraved stamps show Hanuman monkey-god. The first issued by the Kingdom of Cambodia on September 1, 1964, as one of five identical design stamps. I appreciate information about the designer and the engraver:
Here is the complete set on a FDC sent registered from Phnom Penh to France:

Second stamp designed by Marc Leguay, engraved by Jean Pheulpin and was issued by the Kingdom of Laos on October 28, 1955, as one of a set of six stamps shows the Phra Lak Phra Ram (=Ramayana) Royal Ballet:

Sunken die proof in monochrome signed by the engraver Jean Pheulpin:

Printing assay done by the "Atelier de Fabrication des Timbres-Poste, Paris":

Eli

Post by Eli »

In South East Asian mythologies, Kinnari is a chimera of lower part as a bird and the upper part as a winged female human being enables her to fly between the human and the celestial worlds. Kinnari is a symbol of feminine, beauty, grace and accomplishment renowned for her dance, song and poetry.

Here are engraved stamps depicting Kinnari:

The first were issued by the Kingdom of Cambodia on April 16 and July 1, 1953 in a set of nine identical stamps. All nine stamps were issued also in three souvenir sheets. Here are two of the stamps and one SS. I have no information about the designer and engraver of these stamps:

I enlarged the central figure to show the great engraving of the stamp:
The second was issued by the Kingdom of Laos on September 15, 1972 as one of a set of three stamps depicting mythical creatures. Designed by Ky Phungchaleun and engraved by Claude Jumelet:

Eli

Post by Eli »

I like very much engraved stamps show fossils, extinct animal skeletons, cave paintings etc since the engraving gives you the filling you touch something real or visiting the real cave. Here is one of the first sets in the world shows fossils, designed by Wu Jiankun, engraved by Kong Shaohui and issued by the PR of China on April 15, 1958:

Trilobite of Haoli Mountain (Kaolishania pustulosa):

Dinosaur of Lu Feng (Lufengosaurus huenei). This stamp is among the first stamps in the world depicting dinosaur, if not the first one:

Chinese Great Dear (Sinomegaceros pachosteus):

For more information please, see paleophilatelie.eu

Eli

Post by Eli »

Khmer (Cambodian) Royal Ballet, issued by the Kingdom of Cambodia on May 30, 1967. Stamps show the ballet dancers performing the "Kajong Song" epic show. The character designs are based on real photos of the ballet show from the early 1960's which I have only three of them:

The abduction of Neang Rachana by Ngous, designed and engraved by Michel Monvoisin:

Designed and engraved by Michel Monvoisin:

The following photo depicting the same couple as on the stamp, but in a different position. I still don't have the original photo used as a model. This stamp was designed and engraved by Jacques Combet:

Two last stamps I still searching for the original photos. The first (1R.) designed and engraved by Jacques Combet and the second (5R.) by Pierre Gandon:

The Khmer Royal Ballet appears on a 500 Riel Cambodian banknote issued in 1958 which is also engraved:

Eli

Post by Eli »

"The Age of Reptiles", designed and engraved by Walter Richards and issued by the USA on May 6, 1970.

This stamp shows the mural painting by Rudolph F. Zallinger exhibited in Yale Peabody Museum’s Great Hall, where it presides over the exhibition gallery built in 1925 to accommodate the skeletons of the massive Brontosaurus and other dinosaurs discovered and named by the Museum’s founder, O.C. Marsh.

Stamp shows part of the painting including Brontosaurs in the front. Here is the complete painting:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The cooperation between the French-Lao painter and designer Marc Leguay, who designed many of the Kingdom of Laos stamps, and the French engraver Jean Pheulpin (Which they never met each other) produced the most beautiful engraved stamps of Laos and IMHO, of the world. This stamp was issued on May 24, 1956 to commemorate the 2500th anniversary of the creation of the Buddhism. Look at the great design, engraving and the sharp details which I enlarged:

Imagine you receive such "engraved" cover....

RobRoyH
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RobRoyH »

A mixed bag of engraved stamps from my latest ISWSC Sales Circuit.

1905 Barbados - Nelson's Statue - Scott 105

1921 Belgium - King Albert I - Scott 168

1899 British Guiana - Mr. Roraimi Surcharge - Scott 168

1937 Southern Rhodesia - King George VI - Scott 46
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Eli

Post by Eli »

The 200th anniversary of the Albertina graphics collection, designed by Adalbert Pilch, engraved by different engravers as indicated and issued by Austria on September 26, 1969:

"Young hare" by Albrecht Dürer (1471 – 1528), engraved by Alfred Fischer:
"Rubens' son, Nicolas" by Peter Paul Rubens (1577 – 1640), engraved by Alfred Nefe:
"Madame de Pompadour" by François Guérin (1717–1801), engraved by Rudolf Toth:
"Rembrandt self portrait" by Rembrandt van Rijn (1606 – 1669), engraved by Rudolf Toth:
"The painter and the connoisseur" (possibly Bruegel's self-portrait) by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (c. 1525–1530 – 1569), engraved by Wolfgang Seidel:
"Madonna with pomegranate" by Raphael (1483 – 1520), engraved by Maria Laurent:
"The Cid Campeador spearing another bull" by Francisco Goya (1746 – 1828), engraved by Georg Wimmer:
"The Artist's Wife" by Egon Schiele (1890 – 1918), engraved by Alfred Nefe:

kontrabanda
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by kontrabanda »

I really enjoy this thread.

Here is Monaco 1962 Underwater Exploration set.

kontrabanda

Post by kontrabanda »

French South and Antarctic Terr.; 1989 Diving off Adelie Land

Eli

Post by Eli »

Eugène Lacaque (1914-2005) was a French designer and engraver who designed and engraved many stamps for France and other francophone countries. In June 2005, when he died, the French "timbres magazine" published a comprehensive article about him, calls him "the man with the golden fingers (l'homme aux doigts d'or)" and lists all the stamps he designed or engraved. Here is the article cover page:
Here is a small group of stamps designed or engraved or both by Eugène Lacaque:

"The Triumph of Flora", stone relief by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux (1827-1875), Pavillon de Flore, Louvre Palace, Paris, issued by France on on July 4, 1970:
"Double-headed Hermes of Fréjus", issued by France on June 11, 1988. This stamp won the first prize for the best stamp of 1988 (Grand prix de l'art philateliqu français):

Famous Sculptures - The Pietà by Michelangelo, issued by Mali on September 17, 1973:

The 350th Anniversary of the Birth of Charles Perrault, designed by Pierrette Lambert, engraved by Eugène Lacaque and issued by Monaco on November 8, 1978:

Colonel Lon Nol, President of Cambodia, issued by Cambodia on October 9, 1973:
Continue in next post:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Continue from previous post:

For the Kingdom of Laos, Lacaque engraved only six stamps:

Olympic Games, Mexico 1968, designed by Sa-Nguan Rodboon, issued on November 15, 1968:

Jewel Beetle (Megaloxantha bicolor), designed by Sa-Nguan Rodboon, issued on August 28, 1968:
1st anniversary of the Vientiane Peace Treaty Implement, three identical stamps designed by Chamnane Prisayane and issued on February 21, 1975:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote:Eugène Lacaque (1914-2005) was a French designer and engraver who designed and engraved many stamps for France and other francophone countries. In June 2005, when he died, the French "timbres magazine" published a comprehensive article about him, calls him "the man with the golden fingers (l'homme aux doigts d'or)" and lists all the stamps he designed or engraved.
Here is one more great set, Famous Sculptures, designed and engraved by Eugène Lacaque and issued by Niger on October 15, 1973:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Frescoes painted by Austrian Baroque artists, Franz Anton Maulbertsch (1724-1796) and by Paul Troger (1698-1762) as indicated on the stamps. Stamps were designed by Adalbert Pilch, engraved by Rudolf Toth and issued by Austria on December 11, 1968:

"The Triumph of Apollo", Halbturn Castle, Halbturn, Burgenland, Austria:
"Saint Leopold is Carried into Heaven", Ebenfurth Castle, Ebenfurth, Austria:
"The Glorification of Mary" Maria Treu Church, Vienna, Austria:
"Saints Peter and Paul", Melk Abbey, town of Melk, Austria:
"The Last Judgment", Greillenstein Castle, Röhrenbach, Austria:
"Vanquished Demons", Altenburg Abbey, Altenburg, Austria:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The first modern Olympic Games were held in Athens in April 1896. A set of twelve stamps was issued by Greece on April 6, 1896 to mark the occasion. The stamps were designed by Prof. Émile Gilliéron and engraved by Louis-Eugène Mouchon. Designs based on ancient Greek art and architecture connected with the games. In my opinion, one of the great sets issued by Greece and a diamond of my "mythologies of the world" stamp collection:

Boxers:
The Discobolus ("Discus thrower"), bronze sculpture by Athenian sculptor Myron of Eleutherae, circa 460–450 BC:
Athena, goddess of war and wisdom:

Nike (Roman: Victoria), goddess of Victory, riding a chariot:

Olympic Stadium and Mount Olympus:
"Hermes and the Infant Dionysus", sculpture by Praxiteles of Athens, the most renowned of the Attic sculptors of the 4th century BC. The sculpture was discovered at Olympia in 1877 and is exhibited at the Archaeological Museum of Olympia, Greece.
Missing two stamps show Nike of Paionios (the most beautiful stamp :( ) and the Acropolis. I will show them when I win the lottery!

Eli

Post by Eli »

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the modern Olympic Games, Greece issued on March 25, 1905 a set of 14 engraved stamps (with 9 different designs). Designs are based on ancient Greek coins and art connected with the games. I have no information about several of the designs, the designer/s and the engraver/s and I appreciate any information you could add.

Discus thrower, ancient Greek coin from Kos, ca. 480-475 B.C.:
Jumper:
Michel catalogue describes the following stamp as "goddess of Victory" but I think it could be Iris, the messenger of gods:
Hercules fighting Antaeus, ancient Greek vase artwork, painted by Euphronios in 515-510 BC., Louvre museum, Paris:
The wrestlers, a Roman marble sculpture after a lost Greek original of the third century BCE. The sculpture is exhibited in the Uffizi museum in Florence, Italy:
Again, Michel catalogue describes the following stamp as "goddess of Victory" but I am not sure and don't know the origin of this design (could it be Leto depicted with a rooster?):
Atlas brings the apples to Heracles while he holding the sky, ancient Greek amphora:
Missing two designs show runners and Greek gods. I will post them when i have them.

Eli

Post by Eli »

During 1860-1960, Liberia issued many beautiful engraved stamps show the land and its people. Here is a set of engraved 13 stamps issued in 1918 shows local motifs. I have no information about the designers and the engravers. Stamps were printed in Perkins, Bacon & Co. Here are the first seven of them:

Bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus):
African Palm Civet (Nandinia binotata):
Arms:

Palm Tree:
Hermes, the messenger of the gods:
Traveller's tree (Ravenala):

Eli

Post by Eli »

...and here are the rest of the stamps:

Crowned Eagle (Stephanoaetus coronatus):
Atlantic Mudskipper (Periophthalmus barbarus):
Mandinka people:
Liberia's coast:
National college:
Allegory of Liberia:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Here is one more from Liberia, this time a set issued in 1920 shows local motifs and animals:

Cape Mesurado:
President Daniel E. Howard:
Arms of Liberia:
Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus):
Coffee Plant:
Leopard (Panthera pardus):
(Continue in next post)

Eli

Post by Eli »

(Continue from the previous post)

Liberian Village:
Canoe:
Saint-Paul River:
Bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus):
Great Hornbill (Buceros bicornis):
African Elephant (Loxodonta africana):

Eli

Post by Eli »

During the 1950's until the early 1970's Cambodia issued many beautiful engraved stamps show the beauty of the land and its people. Here is a small selection of engraved stamps shows the endemic fauna of Cambodia:

Kouprey (Bos sauvelli), an critically endangered and possibly extinct, issued on March 3, 1964:

Birds, issued on May 2, 1964:

Eurasian magpie (Pica pica):
Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis):
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea):

Mammals of Cambodia, issued on February 20, 1967:

Wild Boar (Sus scrofa):
Indian hog Deer (Axis porcinus):
Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Sometimes I find a lot of beauty in the simple and very common definitive stamps that we all have in our collections. Here are several common and well known engraved stamps issued by New Zealand during the years.

King George V, issued on November 12, 1926:
Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, issued on May 13, 1937:
King George VI, designed by Cooch W.J., engraved by Max Ferré and issued on March 1, 1938:
The Royal family - Peace issue, designed by James Reginald George Berry and issued on April 1, 1946;
Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Leonard Cornwall Mitchell, engraved by Nigel Alan Dow and issued on March 1, 1954:
(Continue in next post):

Eli

Post by Eli »

(continue from previous post):

The 100th Anniversary of Proclamation of British Sovereignty over New Zealand, issued on January 2, 1940:

Abel Tasman, designed by James Reginald George Berry, engraved by Max Ferré:
Cook rediscovery of New Zealand, designed by James Reginald George Berry:
Arrival of the Maoris in New Zealand 1350, designed by Leonard Cornwall Mitchell, engraved by Phillip Goodwyn Hall:
...and finally, the cute Kiwi, designed by Collins C.H. and Collins R.G.H, and issued on May 1, 1935:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Borobudur is a ninth century Mahayana Buddhist monument in central Java, Indonesia, comprised from relief panels Buddha statues. A main dome is located at the center of the top platform, and is surrounded by seventy-two Buddha statues seated inside perforated stupa. The monument is both a shrine to the Lord Buddha and a place for Buddhist pilgrimage.

Borobudur temple preservation, designed by Pierrette Lambert, engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued by France on February 24, 1979:

UNESCO campaign for Borobudur monument preservation, designed by Thao Thuan, engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued by the Kingdom of Laos on August 20, 1975. This set is the last set issued by the Kingdom of Laos, shortly before the Lao Royal regime fell by the Communists:

Eli

Post by Eli »

As much as I remember, I never posted here in this thread Japanese stamps, so here are three about Buddhism:

Wood carving of Buddhist figure, issued on March 25, 1977:
Gakko Bosatsu, Todai temple, Nara, issued on February 1, 1968:
Bronze Figure of Yakushi, Horyu Temple, issued on January 20, 1989:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Sultan of Morocco is an 1845 oil on canvas painting by the French Romantic and Orientalist painter Eugène Delacroix, now in the Musée des Augustins de Toulouse. Its full title is Moulay Abd-Er-Rahman, Sultan of Morocco, leaving his palace of Meknès, surrounded by his guards and his principal officers. It shows the seventh sovereign of the Alaouite dynasty (Wikipedia)

This great painting is depicted on a stamp, engraved by René Cottet and issued by Morocco on March 3, 1964 to commemorate the 3rd anniversary of King Hassan's coronation:

Eli

Post by Eli »

During years 1951-1975, the Kingdom of Laos issued many beautiful engraved stamps that, IMHO, are among the extraordinary engraved stamps in the world. From them, I like very much those depicting figures and scenes from Lao mythology, not only because I collect "Mythologies of the World on stamps", but since they represent and show the local Lao culture and tradition which are very unique. For example, here is one set designed by Ky Phungchaleun and issued on February 5, 1971:

Nakhanet, a symbol of arts and culture, the Lao version of the Hindu deity, Ganesha. Engraver: Jean Miermont:

Rahu, an immortal dragon head that swallows the Sun or the Moon causing eclipse. Engraver: Claude Jumelet:

This stamp design is based on a mural engraving from the ceiling of the Patuxai gate, Vientiane, Laos:
Underwater duell between Hanuman monkey-god and Nang Matsa, scene from the Phra Lak Phra Lam (Ramayana) epic. Engraver: Roger Fenneteaux:

This stamp design is too based on a mural engraving from the ceiling of the Patuxai gate, Vientiane, Laos:

Eli

Post by Eli »

the 17th International Congress of Zoology, Monte Carlo, Monaco, design and engraved by Albert Decaris and issued by Monaco on September 25, 1972:

The last stamp depicting a fish gives birth to the earth, does anyone know the myth behind it? Thanks

I enlarge one creature to show the great engraving by Albert Decaris which is one of my favourite engravers:

Eli

Post by Eli »

A Complete Collection of the Engraved Stamps of Israel

Here is a COMPLETE collection of ALL engraved stamps issued by Israel during 1948-2020 arranged by date of issue:

1) Harry S. Truman (1884–1972), the 33rd president of the USA from 1945 to 1953, issued on March 4, 1975:
That's all, enjoy!

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

I love history, and I have to point out my great suspicion that this distinct honor is very deserving from Israel to Truman.

As he is one of my favorite US Presidents I am moved to share yet another Engraved Stamp Beauty.

1973 United States Stamp - Harry S. Truman - Scott 1499

It was Truman who insisted that the United States grant official recognition of the new state of Israel... famously saying against advice that it was the right thing to do.

The United States was the first nation to recognize Israel.

By the way... you did inspire me to pull down my Israel album and check my Bale. I was curious particularly about whether some of the revenue stamps might be engraved.

Those in my collection do not appear to be and my 1998 Bale does not specify for any of the others.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Eli

Post by Eli »

RobRoyH wrote:I love history, and I have to point out my great suspicion that this distinct honor is very deserving from Israel to Truman.
Thanks, RobRoyH, for the additional information and the great engraved USA Truman stamp.

International Stamp Exhibition "PACIFIC '97", San Francisco, issued by the USA on March 13, 1997:

Stagecoach:

Clipper Ship "Richard S. Ely":
Design of the ship based on this promotional card for the cllipper ship Richard S. Ely sailing for San Francisco and the California gold fields, printed on coated stock by Nesbit & Company in New York City, circa 1855:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Ungulates are any members of a diverse group of primarily large mammals with hooves. These include odd-toed ungulates such as horses and rhinoceroses, and even-toed ungulates such as cattle, pigs, giraffes, camels, deer, and hippopotamuses, as well as sub-ungulates such as elephants. Most terrestrial ungulates use the tips of their toes, usually hoofed, to sustain their whole body weight while moving.

Local Ungulates, designed by Ouk Sokhon, engraved by different engravers as indicated and issued by Khmer Republique (Cambodia) on August 1, 1972:

Javan Rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus), engraved by Roger Fenneteaux:
Sumatran Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis), engraved by Roger Fenneteaux:
Eld's Deer (Cervus eldi), engraved by Jean Miermont:
Banteng (Bos javanicus), engraved by Michel Monvoisin:
Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis), engraved by Jean Miermont:
Gaur (Bos gaurus), engraved by Cécile Guillame:

Eli

Post by Eli »

In 1962, the World Health Organization proposed that countries will issue stamps in order to help fund the "global program for the eradication of Malaria" and increase world-wide publicity and education about the fight against Malaria. 144 postal administrations issued stamps and souvenir sheets, several of them with the slogan: "The world united against Malaria" ("Le monde uni contre le Paludisme").

Here is a group of engraved stamps issued for the campaign against malaria:

France, designed and engraved bu René Cottet and issued on April 14, 1962:
Tunisia, designed by El Mekki, engraved by André Frères and issued on April 7, 1962:

Guinea, issued on April 7, 1962:
Morocco, issued on September 3, 1962:
Ethiopia, issued on April 7, 1962:
...and the best stamps in my opinion were issued by the Kingdom of Laos.

Designer: Marc Leguay, Engraver: Pierre Munier:
Designer: Marc Leguay, Engraver: Jean Pheulpin:
Designer: Chamnane Prisayane, Engraver: Roger Fenneteaux:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote:In 1962, the World Health Organization proposed that countries will issue stamps in order to help fund the "global program for the eradication of Malaria" and increase world-wide publicity and education about the fight against Malaria. 144 postal administrations issued stamps and souvenir sheets, several of them with the slogan: "The world united against Malaria" ("Le monde uni contre le Paludisme").
Here is another group of engraved stamps issued to support the campaign against malaria:

Canal Zone, issued on September 24, 1962:
Morocco, issued on September 3, 1962:
Cambodia, issued on April 7, 1962:
Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam), issued on April 7, 1962:
Tunisia, issued on April 7, 1962:
Monaco, designed by B. Minne, engraved by René Cottet and issued on June 6, 1962:
Czechoslovakia, designed by Jaroslav Šváb, engraved by Jan Mráček and issued on June 18, 1962:
Yugoslavia, issued on April 7, 1962:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Winners of the Nobel Prize in physiology and medicine and their contribution, designed by Urban Frank or Nils Peterson as indicated on the stamps, engraved by Martin Mörck, and issued by Sweden on November 29, 1984:

Georg von Békésy (1899-1972), Hungary, Noble Prize in 1961 for his discoveries of the physical mechanism of stimulation within the inner ear.

Stamp shows a diagram of the inner ear:

Sir John Carew Eccles (1903-1997), Australia, Sir Alan Lloyd Hodgkin (1914-1998), UK, and Sir Andrew Fielding Huxley (1917-2012), UK, Noble Prize in 1961 for their discoveries concerning the ionic mechanisms involved in excitation and inhibition of the nerve cell membrane causing electric transmission.

Stamp shows nerve cell and arrows representing influx of Na+ and H+ ions through ionic channels:

Sir Bernard Katz (1911-2003), UK, Julius Axelrod (1912-2004), USA, and Ulf Svante von Euler (1905-1983), Sweden, Noble Prize in 1970 for their discoveries concerning the transmittors in the nerve terminals and the mechanism for their storage, release and inactivation:

Stamp shows (left) cross section of a nerve cell shows the nucleus and the mitochondria and (right) activation of muscle cell by transmittors released by nerve cell to the nerve-muscle junction (synapse):

Roger Wolcott Sperry (1913-1994), USA, Noble Prize in 1981 for his discoveries concerning the functional specialization of the cerebral hemispheres.

Stamp shows the brain hemispheres and their activities:

David Hunter Hubel (1926-2013), Canada, and Torsten Nils Wiesel (1924- ), Sweden, Noble Prize in 1981 for their discoveries concerning information processing in the visual system.

Stamp shows cross section of the eye on the background of optic nerves:

Issued as a mini-sheet in a booklet:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Czekhoslovakia (and later, Czech Republic) is among the few countries issued many beautiful and high quality engraved stamps. I don't collect the stamps of this country (and really, I don't know why :( ), but fortunately, I have many sets in my different collections, many of them I posted in the "mythologies" and "monkeys" threads. Here is one set shows the great engraving produced by this country:

The 23rd International Geological Congress, held in Prague in 1968, designed by Lukavský Jaroslav, engraved by Housa Bedřich and issued on August 8, 1968:

Adrspach Rocks and Ammonite (Hypophylloceras bizonatum):

Basalt Columns and Fossilised Frog (Palaeobatrachus grandipes):

Bohemian Paradise and Agate:

Tatra Landscape and Sheel (Chlamys gigas):

Trilobite (Selenopeltis buchi buchi):

I have the set of the FDC's. What I really love in these covers and other Czechoslovakian and Czech FDC's is that also their side cachets are engraved. Here are the FDC's and scans of their engraved cachets:

I will try to bring more great engraving stamps from this country.

Eli

Post by Eli »

My first and main thematic collection is "primates on stamps" which includes apes, monkeys and a sub-collection of origin of man. I collect this theme for about 35 years and try to add all kind of philatelic materials and also banknotes show monkeys. The collection contains many great engraved stamps and here I picked several of them:

Ring-tailed Lemur (Lemur catta), color proof assay and the issued stamp, designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued by Madagascar on September 20, 1954:

Proboscis monkey (Nasalis larvatus), Issued by North Borneo on January 1, 1939:

Louise Hippolyte, Princess of Monaco (1697 – 1731) with monkey, painting by Pierre Gobert (1662 – 1744), engraved by René Cottet and issued by Monaco on November 25, 1969:

Grooming among Guinea Baboons (Papio papio), designed and engraved by Claude Hertenberger and issued by Mauritania on July 6, 1963:

Coquerel's sifaka (Propithecus coquereli), designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued by Madagascar on December 9, 1961:

Japanese occupation of North Borneo, overprint on North Borneo stamp reads "Imperial Japanese Force - North Borneo", issued on September 30, 1944:

Orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus), designed by Libuše Knotková and Jaromír Knotek, who sign their joint art works as "L. a J. Knotkovi", engraved by M. Srb and issued by Czech Republic on September 5, 2001:

“Old Monkey", sculpture by Kōun Takamura (1852-1934), issued by Japan on March 10, 1983:

Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes), color assays, designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps and issued for use in French West Africa (AOF):
You can visit the monkey thread, maybe you see there few monkeys, but please don't feed them!

Monkeys in Art, Space, Mythology, Literature and...on Trees!

Eli

Post by Eli »

Jean Pheulpin (1907-1991), was a very talented French artist who designed and engraved hundreds of stamps for France and many Francophone countries mainly for Laos. In June 2005, the French magazine "Timbres magazine" published an article about Pheulpin with a list of all stamps he designed, engraved or both:
Since I am a member in SB, I posted all Lao stamps and many Lao different items by Pheulpin. Now, I picked from my different collections several others by Pheulpin from different countries other than Laos:

Sleeping Beauty, designed by Pierrette Lambert, engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued by Monaco on November 8, 1978 to commemorate the 350th birth anniversary of the French author Charles Perrault (1628-1703):
Georges Cuvier (1769-1832), French naturalist and zoologist, designed by Serveau, engraved by Pheulpin and issued by France on May 10, 1969:
Lesser Bamboo Lemur (Hapalemur griseus), designed and engraved by Pheulpin and issued by Madagascar on December 9, 1961. Sunken die proof in monochrome signed by artist:
Cave Painting, designed and engraved by Pheulpin and issued by Chad on December 19, 1967:
Africa Day, designed by J. Mohsen, engraved by Pheulpin and issued by Tunisia on April 15, 1961:
Mongoose Lemur (Eulemur mongoz), designed and engraved by Pheulpin and issued by Madagascar on December 9, 1961. Color proof assays:
A trio by Pheulpin on a commercial cover sent from Madagascar (two lemurs and the left butterfly):
Diana after the Hunt, painting by François Boucher (1703-1770), engraved by Pheulpin and issued by France on October 10, 1970:
300 years establishment of Saint Louis in Senegal, designed and engraved by Pheulpin and issued by Mali on December 11, 1959:
Hope for better days for all of us!

Eli

Post by Eli »

Polynesian Natives and Folklore, issued on November 3, 1958 for use in French Polynesia:

Designed and engraved by Charles Mazelin:
Designed by Jacques Boullaire and engraved by Albert Decaris:

Designed and engraved by René Cottet:
Designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Pierre Gandon (1899-1990) was a French stamp designer and engraver. For more than 40 years, he designed and/or engraved over 350 stamps for France and over double that number for French colonies and Francophone countries. During his career, he won four times the Grand Prix de l'Art philatélique for stamps of France and French Polynesia.

I chose from my different collections several stamps I think are very beautiful. This time it was hard to choose since I didn't know I have so many stamps by Gandon, so I will show them in more posts.

The first stamp designed and engraved by Gandon was "Femme indigène" issued in 1941 for use in Dahomey, than part of French West Africa:
The abduction of Aegina by Zeus (100F) and Helios riding his Sun chariot (200F), designed and engraved by Gandon and issued on May 27, 1946 by France:

Great Egret (Ardea alba), designed and engraved by Gandon and issued on January 15, 1959:
Prehistoric stone tools, designed and engraved by Gandon and issued on December 11, 1966 by Chad:
White-eyed Parakeet (Aratinga leucophthalmus), Sun Conure (Aratinga solstitialis) and Military Macaw (Ara militaris), designed and engraved by Gandon and issued on June 2, 1947 for use in French Guiana:
For the Kingdom of Laos, Gandon engraved only two stamps. The first shows King Sisavang Vong, design based on official photo, issued on November 13, 1951:
Second stamp engraved by Gandon shows Wat Phu temple in Champassak, designed by Chamnane Prisayane and issued on November 2, 1959:
Among the most famous stamps designed and engraved by Gandon are definitive sets of female allegories of the 1940s, 1970s and 1980s. one of them is the Sabine based on a famous painting by Jacques-Louis David "The rape of the Sabine women". Here is a maxicard with three Sabine stamps issued during the 1970's:
Will show more next time. To all Jewish members I wish a Happy Passover. I know this year we had sad festival, celebrating without our families and hope next year we could celebrate all together.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote:Pierre Gandon (1899-1990) was a French stamp designer and engraver. For more than 40 years, he designed and/or engraved over 350 stamps for France and over double that number for French colonies and Francophone countries. During his career, he won four times the Grand Prix de l'Art philatélique for stamps of France and French Polynesia.

I chose from my different collections several stamps I think are very beautiful. This time it was hard to choose since I didn't know I have so many stamps by Gandon, so I will show them in more posts.
Here are more beauties by Pierre Gandon:

Diademed Sifaka (Propithecus diadema), designed and engraved by Gandon and issued by Madagascar on December 9, 1961:
Woman from Ivory Coast, designed and engraved by Gandon and issued for use in French West Africa on March 24, 1947:
Lyre-tailed Honeyguide (Melichneutes robustus), designed based on illustration by French naturalist Pierre-Claude Rougeot, engraved by Gandon and issued by Gabon on May 30, 1961:
Statue of the Nymph Salmacis by François-Joseph Bosio (1768 – 1845), designed by Pierre Gandon, engraved by Jules Piel and issued by Monaco on July 12, 1948:
Statue of god Aristaeus by François-Joseph Bosio (1768 – 1845), designed by Pierre Gandon, engraved by Charles-Paul Dufresne and issued by Monaco on July 12, 1948:
Togolese woman, designed and engraved by Gandon and issued for use in Togo in 1941:
Woman, designed and engraved by Gandon and issued for use in French Equatorial Africa in 1947:
Traditional Harp, designed by Jacques Gauthier, engraved by Gandon and issued by Chad on October 26, 1965:
Centaur (40F) and Iris, the messenger of the gods (50F), designed and engraved by Gandon and issued on May 27, 1946 by France:

I leave the best from Gandon for next time.

Eli

Post by Eli »

I leave the best from Gandon for next time.
One of the great sets in my Mythologies collection is "The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" issued by Mali on December 13, 1971. I have several sets with the same theme from countries like Hungary, Cuba, Congo, Mongolia etc. but I think this one from Mali, beats all of them together. The beauty of this set is due to a great design by Pierre Gandon, who designed all stamps in the set, and a great engraving by him and four other French engravers as indicated.

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World refers to remarkable constructions of classical antiquity located around the Mediterranean rim listed by various authors in guidebooks popular among the ancient Hellenic tourists, particularly in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC.

Zeus statue at Olympia - engraved by Jacques Combet:
The Great Pyramid of Giza - engraved by Roger Fenneteaux:
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus - engraved by Jacques Combet:
The Lighthouse of Alexandria - engraved by Pierre Gandon:
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon - engraved by Michel Monvoisin:
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus or Tomb of Mausolus - engraved by Pierre Béquet:
The Colossus of Rhodes - engraved by Pierre Gandon:

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”