Share, discuss, or query, the GB MACHIN HEAD stamps/covers!

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

King Tut
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Share, discuss, or query, the GB MACHIN HEAD stamps/cove

Post by King Tut »

norvic wrote:Example of solo-use £1.52 Machin, issued 24 March 2015. Pays the 100g letter rate to Europe, this cover to Belarus 10-12-2015 with Minsk backstamps 22.12.15.

And this is the solo-use of the £1.33 Machin which is for the 10-20g letter rate to both World Zones 1 & 2 (not Europe).

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

King Tut wrote:And this is the solo-use of the £1.33 Machin which is for the 10-20g letter rate to both World Zones 1 & 2 (not Europe).
Nice clear date as well. Shame about the red envelope but we can't have everything!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

stampingpaws
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by stampingpaws »

For some time I have not been happy with the arrangement of Machins in my self-produced Great Britain album. Even though nobody has offered any criticism or comments I feel they are not quite right.

Reading this post and all the associated links I have finally made up my mind - Pre-Decimal, Decimal in date order (with a small explanation as to what each rate is for), Regionals again in date order, then others.

Now all I need is the time to do it.

So a big thank you to all who have contributed to this thread.

Best wishes
Robert

norvic

Post by norvic »

Sounds like a sensible plan - better than trying to put the decimals into value order, even within the three main sets and the odds and ends.

For the U-numbered stamps,, if you go the full hog you will need a source beyond SG's Concise to give the date of first appearance of many of them.

Or you could just arrange them in value order within each of the year codes. Given that the year codes were sometimes available before the year started, but sometimes not until after it ended, this might be the best way.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

stampingpaws

Post by stampingpaws »

Many thanks Ian

Looking forward to sorting out the Machins in my Great Britain album.

Best wishes

Dave.mbe
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Dave.mbe »

I have finally made up my mind - Pre-Decimal, Decimal in date order (with a small explanation as to what each rate is for)
stampingpaws

I applaud your efforts to this point, but may I suggest that you consider breaking the 'decimal' section into "pre-" and "post-" elliptical perfs.

As one who has performed, (and continues to perform) this daunting task, but on the larger Lighthouse pages, I know how frustrating it can be, especially if you are preparing your album in 'value order'. Every time we see a new 'Prestige' book; its back to the drawing board!
By breaking this section into 2 separate and distinctive time frames, there is actually a beginning and an end at least to the already large 'pre-elliptic' section.
Perhaps something to consider as it sounds as though you've decided to jump into 'the deep end'.
Dave

--- where do I find any other Machin-nuts here in Canada????

norvic

Post by norvic »

Copied from another thread (my edit):
JonEboy wrote:And finally here's one sent out by a mailing house;
The interesting element here is that the cancel on the stamp appears to have been applied by the mailing house;

Just for the record, and in case it turn out to be a rare use of the stamp, this is M15L / MRIL, the coil 2015 printing.

Jon

norvic

Post by norvic »

Dave.mbe wrote:
I have finally made up my mind - Pre-Decimal, Decimal in date order (with a small explanation as to what each rate is for)
stampingpaws

I applaud your efforts to this point, but may I suggest that you consider breaking the 'decimal' section into "pre-" and "post-" elliptical perfs.

As one who has performed, (and continues to perform) this daunting task, but on the larger Lighthouse pages, I know how frustrating it can be, especially if you are preparing your album in 'value order'. Every time we see a new 'Prestige' book; its back to the drawing board!
By breaking this section into 2 separate and distinctive time frames, there is actually a beginning and an end at least to the already large 'pre-elliptic' section.
Perhaps something to consider as it sounds as though you've decided to jump into 'the deep end'.
I would agree, although all Prestige Book Machins now have security printing so fall into the U group. But I would keep Gibbons X, Y and U numbers separate, and probably the others as a fourth group.

WEIRD AL
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by WEIRD AL »

My neighbor who just happens to appear in 2 "Mad Max"movies gave me this cover addressed to him.

Hugh played "Toecutter"in the first & "Immortan Joe" in the latest Mad Max movie.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Well, I would carefully erase that pencil endorsement to make it more attractive. The 97p is only M14L - the low values exist in several forms, but that's not the place to write it for a collection.

Edit: Come to think of it, a rate of £1.29 doesn't exist; I suspect it's an overpayment in 14/15 for the £1.28 rate.

WEIRD AL

Post by WEIRD AL »

norvic wrote:Well, I would carefully erase that pencil endorsement to make it more attractive. The 97p is only M14L - the low values exist in several forms, but that's not the place to write it for a collection.

Edit: Come to think of it, a rate of £1.29 doesn't exist; I suspect it's an overpayment in 14/15 for the £1.28 rate.
This one will be butchered to fill some gaps ,I have plenty of better covers from Hugh to choose from .

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

norvic wrote:Copied from another thread (my edit):
JonEboy wrote:And finally here's one sent out by a mailing house;
The interesting element here is that the cancel on the stamp appears to have been applied by the mailing house;

Just for the record, and in case it turn out to be a rare use of the stamp, this is M15L / MRIL, the coil 2015 printing.

Jon
Thanks Ian,

And for completeness here is the aforementioned stamp showing the relevant codes;Image
I intend to pop this on eBay this weekend when I get five minutes to myself....

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

norvic

Post by norvic »

King Tut wrote:And this is the solo-use of the £1.33 Machin which is for the 10-20g letter rate to both World Zones 1 & 2 (not Europe).
Start looking at this year's incoming letters! The £1.33 has been reprinted and has appeared with the M16L year code:

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

JonEboy wrote: I intend to pop this on eBay this weekend when I get five minutes to myself....

Jon
Now on eBay if anyone wants it.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps

norvic

Post by norvic »

The 1st class Long To Reign booklet of 6 has now been found with 2015 year code but with the new printing on the backing paper:
This is the second stamp to appear in two versions for 2015.

norvic

Post by norvic »

And two more, 2nd class from books of 12, and 1st Large from books of 4, both coded 2015, and packed in 2015. The 1st class above has been seen with 2 packing dates in Janaury: normally these are printed and packed in one continuous operation, so this suggests that they have retained the 2015 cylinders for 2016, OR they had saved some rolls printed in November/December for splitting and wrapping at a later stage.
Image Image

stampingpaws

Post by stampingpaws »

Many thanks for your kind reply which I comment as follows.

1 - Yes, there will be separate sections for standard perforations, elliptical perforations, security slits.

2 - I have definitely decided against value order and will be using date order.

3 - I have decided to keep out of the "deep end" as there are thousands of machins there. I am very much more towards the shallow end where there is only about 450 different machins.

By way of background, since retirement, like many of us, I have returned to stamp collecting. My idea is to collect like I did when I was 8 years old, 60 years ago.

I buy kiloware stamps or collect them off envelopes, soak them off and mount in my albums. I tend to steer clear of buying stamps at post offices. I design, produce, use and sell my albums which finances my collecting.

Once again, many thanks for all the help I have been given by fellow stampboarders.

Best wishes
Robert

norvic

Post by norvic »

Part of a Small Parcel, up to 1kg, overpaid by 1p 22 March 2016

54p (2nd class) - M15L
75p (2nd Large) - M15L
£1.33 - M16L
10p x 2 - M15L - total £2.81

RLMS

Post by RLMS »

HI

Looking for some help please, I am sorting out a pile of regional Machins and have found what looks to be a cylinder 2 5½p on the right stamp. The emblem and value are lower than normal and the phosphor band is offset slightly to the right.

I have checked the Deegam book and it does appear to be cylinder 2. Am I missing something!

Many thanks,

Richard
Researching and plating KGV 1½d die 2.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Definitely Cylinder 2 - a nice find. The Machin Collectors Club catalogue has this at £300 mint compared with a nominal 25p for Cyl 1. No prices for used, of course.

As I only really started studying Machins from 2003, I hadn't been aware of this difference until you showed it, thank you!

RLMS

Post by RLMS »

Thank you for that, I found five of them in a bulk lot I bought!

Richard
Researching and plating KGV 1½d die 2.

King Tut

Post by King Tut »

This is the first time I have seen this - an actual use of a certificate of posting.

This cover and related certificate is correctly charged. The domestic letter up to 2oz was 4d until 15 Sept 1968. The associated certificate of posting fee at the time of this letter was 1d.

norvic

Post by norvic »

CATALOGUE AND ALBUM UPDATE

Good news and bad news for modern GB collectors from Stanley Gibbons recently. First the good news: Stanley Gibbons' GB Concise 2016 Catalogue was published on 31st May. No great surprises, they have NOT allocated new whole numbers to all the different years' printings in the U-numbered security stamps.

But they have allocated new whole numbers in the Booklets section for the booklets which have recently appeared with security printing on the inside, under the stamps. No distinction is made between the booklets containing 15 or 16 year codes.

On the other hand, users of the Windsor Album may be dismayed to find that additional pages are included in the latest supplement for ALL the different year codes - even though these are not allocated separate whole numbers in the catalogue. It's not easy to see on this sample page, but the first 6 stamps on this page are U2961 (2nd class sheet), the next two are U2962* (Prestige Book), followed by four spaces for U2962a (coil).

There is a problem with U2962a. In the 2015 Concise the issue date is listed as '(6.12)' that is, June 2012. But the album shows a space for one with the year code MA10. We know that this was first discovered in July 2011, so why is that not the date shown in the the catalogue? Because it is only known in used condition - a fact noted in the table in the catalogue. So collectors of mint stamps will forever have a space unless they exceptionally use a used copy here.
* The two spaces for U2962 are because the stamp (along with the 1st class and 50p) exist with breaks in both U-shaped slits or only in the lower one. Again, not a catalogued difference, but mentioned in the table.

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Turning up in this morning's post is another M15L / MRIL, the coil 2015 printing, this time on a Sunday Times Wine Club mailout. As before this has the cancel applied pre posting.

I've not opened this one yet and probably won't. It may be worth more as an entire :D

Jon

norvic

Post by norvic »

Coincidentally somebody sent me a picture of another letter from the same mailshot but with the pre-printed 2nd class Machin rather than a stamp. I wonder who got which and why?

JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

JonEboy wrote:
JonEboy wrote: I intend to pop this on eBay this weekend when I get five minutes to myself....

Jon
Now on eBay if anyone wants it.

Jon
Another one of these turned up last month - now on eBay again as an unopened entire from the Sunday Times Wine Club.

Auction can be found here

Jon

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I went to a charity based stamp fair today and was picking through some machin kiloware for sale per stamp. I picked out a sample of high value machins and definitives which over here are usually pretty common. I suspect that as you are finding it easy to get our 'internationals' it may be difficult for you to find the high values.

How hard do you find to get these used. The scans are not limited to machins and imclude other small defins.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

norvic

Post by norvic »

traralgon3844 wrote:I went to a charity based stamp fair today and was picking through some machin kiloware for sale per stamp. I picked out a sample of high value machins and definitives which over here are usually pretty common. I suspect that as you are finding it easy to get our 'internationals' it may be difficult for you to find the high values.

How hard do you find to get these used. The scans are not limited to machins and imclude other small defins.

I'm sorry, I was still away when you posted this and I see nobody else has answered.

You are correct, of course, all these are difficult to get in collectable condition - indeed many are difficult to find even with wavy line cancellations. I occasionally use them on heavier packets to customers, but with rates stepped the way they are, it takes some effort especially when I have so many old stamps, and surplus current stamps from PSBs to use to make-up to higher rates.

Here's a commercial use of the £1 M15L, with a pair of 10p M14L and 1st class red M14L paying £2.84 for the £2.80 rate 27 October 2015.

More to follow, as I came here to post these anyway.

norvic

Post by norvic »

This is the original 1st Large Recorded Signed For (undated) used in April 2012. By this time the MA10 reprint was known to exist, but they were always in short supply. This pays only up to 100g so it was probably close to that limit.

This is a self-addressed envelope that I supplied to Kidderminster Post Office when I wanted some stamps from their Post and Go machine, one of the last Wincor-Nixdorf machines that produced the 2014 Winter Greenery stamps. The value of the order was high enough to warrant using Special Delivery, so I used this M14L Special Delivery 100g stamp, and it has a clear date of 13 NO 14. Although from a PO to a dealer it serves a proper purpose and is absolutely the right stamp for the job, and ought to grace any collection!

norvic

Post by norvic »

Earlier I referred to surplus stamps from prestige stamp books needing to be used up for postage. This is the booklet pane from the Inventive Britain PSB which, apart from having the 81p in the wrong colour, has only one set of stamps.

Thus there are 1p, 97p and 2 x 2p stamps left after a set has been taken out for collections. 97p paid the 20g Europe/10g Worldwide rate, and 2 months later the rate increased to £1, so it was possible to use either the 97p or (later) a 2+1+97p strip to pay an actual postage rate. Here's a pre-increase cover to the Netherlands using the 97p alone. (Yes it's from me to a collector, but it carried his order, and is used only 5 weeks after issue. It's only the fact that it's from a PSB that makes it 'philatelic'.)

On the other hand this used the original sheet stamp on a letter from Northern Ireland to Dublin (the competition entries could have been sent to England for much less!)

norvic

Post by norvic »

While in New Zealand I picked up a few pieces to add to my GB Postal History collection. These were the high values of the first decade of the century and are just as difficult to find doing the right job as the £1.33 and £2.25 are now.

July 2003 42p postcard rate

December 2003 47p airmial letter rate Zone 3, using 42p and 5p.

January 2005 43p postcard rate

August 2005 47p postcard rate

August 2009 NVI postcard stamp paying 56p rate

These were bought in Rotorua, I think on the east side of Tutanekai Street, though I can't find the place on Google street view.

norvic

Post by norvic »

And lastly a couple of older ones, a 5p postcard rate from August 1972 and a 10p letter pre-Christmas 1975.

The airmail rates to New Zealand (Zone C) from September 1975 were 13p for the first 15g letter, 26p for 30g. Printed papers were 6p for 15g and 12p for 30g, and it took me a while to realise that this was surface (posted 23 October, arrived 15 December!). The 10p rate was for 20g, the next step being 19p.

Surface mail is so rarely used these days that there is a tendency to overlook those rates when looking at older rates leaflets. Remember!

Dani
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Dani »

I have quite a few of the large machins for parcels, but this is the only one I have printed in two colours for the parcel data. Is this rare or fairly common.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Does anyone know if that kind of ink jet printing fades over time?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:Does anyone know if that kind of ink jet printing fades over time?
I've not seen any fading, and that was only a year ago so much more likely to have been printed that way due to a printer fault or to have been affected by some external matter either whilst in the mail or since. I've not tried to ruin any in the interests of philatelic research!

Dani

Post by Dani »

This is a machin that I received myself and it arrived in the condition shown, so perhaps it is a print fault as mentioned as it has printed brown on every other line.

postagelabelsuk

Post by postagelabelsuk »

Dani wrote:This is a machin that I received myself and it arrived in the condition shown, so perhaps it is a print fault as mentioned as it has printed brown on every other line.
The Ink tank in a Horizon printer contains both Red and Black ink and this appears to be some sort of breakdown in that resulting in a 'mixed' colour printing.
UK ATM Philately-
THE Modern Collecting Alternative

Http://www.postagelabelsuk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

norvic

Post by norvic »

postagelabelsuk wrote:
Dani wrote:This is a machin that I received myself and it arrived in the condition shown, so perhaps it is a print fault as mentioned as it has printed brown on every other line.
The Ink tank in a Horizon printer contains both Red and Black ink and this appears to be some sort of breakdown in that resulting in a 'mixed' colour printing.
In what circumstances does it print in red? I don't recall seeing anything, receipts, etc, with red on.

postagelabelsuk

Post by postagelabelsuk »

norvic wrote:
postagelabelsuk wrote:
In what circumstances does it print in red? I don't recall seeing anything, receipts, etc, with red on.
Mostly banking transactions - for example where a withdrawal has been declined. I will look one out.
UK ATM Philately-
THE Modern Collecting Alternative

Http://www.postagelabelsuk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

emason

Post by emason »

Posted by Lennox on the "Spring Stampex London: 15-17 February 2017" thread on 18 Feb 2017:
Lennox wrote: The Machin collection in the Court of Honour is Tony Walker's.

He has exhibited the collection many times with the deserved high awards, i.e. Large Golds.

I have met Tony many times and I am regular contact with him. He was at Stampex on Wednesday. Always modest in his exhibits.

He has campaigned for years that modern collections deserve equal treatment with the older exhibits.

He has been a big influence on my collections which resulted in Large Golds at Stampex with two different modern QE2 Great Britain.
The Tony Walker collection is for sale at the Corbitts 28th September sale. Lot numbers 1761 to 1913.
Best wishes,
Bill

norvic

Post by norvic »

Amazing, nothing here since Autumn Stampex!

Well, pending the time to add some more pictures, here's some news to bring joy to everybody's hearts!

Tucked away in the Catalogue Supplement in the April edition of Gibbons Stamp Monthly is news to bring a groan from all who collect or deal in modern definitives.

"Game of Thrones premium booklet.
The Machin pane and booklet will be listed in a later
Catalogue Supplement, because the machin (sic) set
is to be re-numbered for Great Britain Concise 2018
catalogue."

The next edition of the catalogue is expected in April/May.

norvic

Post by norvic »

GB Rates change from 206 March 2018. Some airmail rates and others are down, leaving all a multiple of 5p. This suggests that Royal Mail are trying to move away from odd-pennies, and the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced yesterday a consultation on abolition of the 1p and 2p coins, with many people now conducting 'cash' transactions by touch-and-go plastic.

Four new and one reprinted (the £2.25) self-adhesive counter sheet stamps which will be issued on 20 March.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

All these are printed by ISP Walsall instead of De La Rue who have printed all counter sheet stamps in recent years. Sheet of the £2.25 reprint showing sheet markings.

More details of new postage rates on Royal Mail's website and here.
Last edited by norvic on 15 Mar 2018 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

norvic

Post by norvic »

On the same day, 20 March, the stamps marking the Centenary of the RAF are issued, including a prestige stamp book with 2p, 5p & £1.17 stamps coded MPIL M18L, although the P is very difficult to see, to the point where one might think that it is missing. These are gummed by ISP Cartor

Image Image
Image Image

Also shown is the 1st class self-adhesive from the mixed retail book, coded MCIL M18L, printed by ISP Walsall.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Received this superb 600 gram GB stamp franking yesterday via Express ''signed for'' airmail, at exact correct rate, from a UK member w5ldy mailing me material - well done! :mrgreen:

Took only a week door to door!

That mini sheet with the superb Repros of the 1950s issues is cat £10 used, and used postally is probably near unheard of.

A postally VFU set 5 of the Machin heads £1 to £5 I've never seen used together, and a lovely group. I added it to stock today for $A25 (Stock 683HW) for anyone who collects such attractive postally used material. Perfect Hagner or Album page size. 8)

Even has the £1.38 Tracked label, to take it to the exact assessed £16.92 ($A36) total cost. :)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote:On the same day, 20 March, the stamps marking the Centenary of the RAF are issued, including a prestige stamp book with 2p, 5p & £1.17 stamps coded MPIL M18L, although the P is very difficult to see, to the point where one might think that it is missing.

The Stanley Gibbons catalogue editor has decided that the 'P' is missing, and has listed these as M_IL.

This, foolishly in my opinion, means that the 2018 versions of these values have a separate sub-number (U3071e, U3072f, and U3084a) but the 2013-2016 versions of the 2p (for example) are all numbered U3071. The 5p has three other numbers partly because of shades, font and perforation (U3072, 3072c and 3073).

phos45

Post by phos45 »

Alan Warby of Hampstead Castle - updates are online ...

http://hampsteadcastle.co.uk/

norvic

Post by norvic »

Three types of 1st class Waslall printed 2018 counter sheets shown here.

I wonder how many dealers and collectors will take the trouble to collect one of each?

mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

Great Britain Philatelic Society "Machin Day"
Saturday 24th November 2018

For those interested in any aspect of Machins: the GBPS are holding a meeting day dedicated to them in November. The meeting is at the Royal Philatelic Society, 41 Devonshire Place, London W1G 6JY from 11am to approx. 4pm.

Non-members are welcome to come along, and to bring a frame or two of Machin-related material to show if they wish (please contact Andy Donaldson -- programme@gbps.org.uk -- who is organising the displays).

I understand we already have a number of interesting and varied displays lined up!

http://www.gbps.org.uk/programme

norvic

Post by norvic »

Question: there exists a separate thread on usage of decimal Machins on cover.
Should we have a similar thread for usage of pre-decimal Machins on cover?
(MODS - If I started one would I run the risk of it being merged with this one, or has such merging stopped now?)

While you chew that over, here's a good candidate for that thread should it come about:

4d pre-stamped enevlope, foolscap size, with additional 10d Machin adhesive solo. This was for the 9d recorded delivery service and 1d to make up the basic rate to the 5d 1st class, making the 1/2d in total.

Sold on eBay this week for £16. Can't read the year, but it must be between 16 September 1968 (when 2-tier started) and 14 February 1971 (or earlier, considering the postal strike of 1971).

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

lesbootman wrote:In the mail at work this morning I spotted something I've not seen before on an item of junk/advertising mail. A 2nd class blue Machin imprint appears to have been printed direct onto the envelope complete with simulated perforations and wavy line cancel.

It has a flat "matt" finish and no security markings.

I've seen "pseudo" stamp designs on junk mail in the past but never a reproduction of a Machin design.

Ahoj everyone!

I have been living abroad for 25 years now and I am well over 75 when free TV licences are dispensed, but despite repeated letters, I still get demands, threatening fire and brimstone if I do not buy a licence pronto.

An unexpected upside to this was that a couple of months ago I received this:-
I am sure they don't regard themselves as junk mailers.

Would the number C9 10002 indicate it was an earlier issue, the second user perhaps?

Anyway it has netted me two quid on the internet as compensation for their harassment.

Cheers,

Honza

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”