Share, discuss, or query, the GB MACHIN HEAD stamps/covers!

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

phos45
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Re: Share, discuss, or query, the GB MACHIN HEAD stamps/cove

Post by phos45 »

these are PPI - PRE-PRINTED INDICA licensed companies offer 1st and 2nd class

https://www.royalmail.com/corporate/services/printed-postage-impression

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

With new postage rates operating from last Monday (25th March) a reader of my blog has sent this picture of the new £1.35 on a postcard to Italy, on the first day of the tariff.

The airmail rate stamps were issued on 19 March:

£1.35 in orchid mauve (previously used for £1.52 - in 2015) - Postcards, 10g letters worldwide, 20g letters Europe
£1.60 in amber yellow (previously used for £1.33 - in 2015) - Europe 100g letter
£2.30 in gooseberry green (previously used for the £1.05) - Worldwide 100g letter
£2.80 in spruce green (previously used for £2.45 - in 2015) - Large Letter 100g Europe
£3.45 in dark pine green (previously used for £1.40 in 2017) - Large Letter 100g World Zone 1
£3.60 in bright orange - Large Letter 100g World Zone 2

Some airmail rates, for larger items, were reduced. Tracked, Signed, etc have changed in line.
Inland letters to 100g increased by 3p to 61p 2nd class, 70p 1st class.
Inland Large Letters to 100g increased by 5p to £1.06 1st class, and 4p to 83p 2nd class.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

norvic

Post by norvic »

honza wrote:I have been living abroad for 25 years now and I am well over 75 when free TV licences are dispensed, but despite repeated letters, I still get demands, threatening fire and brimstone if I do not buy a licence pronto.

An unexpected upside to this was that a couple of months ago I received this:-
Would the number C9 10002 indicate it was an earlier issue, the second user perhaps?

Honza
The C9 10002 is the direct mail operator's license number.

I'm confused: are you saying that this was sent to you in Europe? It bears no indications of redirection. The 2nd class stamp would not be valid for Europe, and in any case these C9 items* should not be sent outside the UK.

* The Clause 9 system allows private operators to collect and aggregate mail independent of Royal Mail but to pass it on in bulk for the final delivery process, within the UK only.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Ahoj Ian!

Sorry for any confusion. These reminders keep coming to my former flat in the UK, which is now unoccupied.

Cheers,

Honza

norvic

Post by norvic »

OK, makes more sense.

norvic

Post by norvic »

It's nearly the end of the second decade in the 21st century, and Royal Mail and it's print contractor are showing either total incompetence between them, or the printer is showing incompetence and Royal Mail amazing tolerance - or maybe, couldn't care less.

100 years ago shades were common between different printings of the 'same' stamp. The more common the usage and the more frequent the printing, the wider the variance. Nowadays reprints of the same stamp ought to be more or less the same; indeed some recent apparent differences in colour on Machins have been shown to be variation in the transparent iridescent printing on top of the colour, the colour that that layer reflects affecting perceptions of the base colour.

Counter sheet stamps have stayed very true, especially the 2nd/2nd Large blue for which one would struggle to find shade variations over the last 10-12 years.

But with the stamps from (litho printed) prestige stamp books - all printed by ISP Cartor - the latest offering really takes the prize. The definitive pane in the Queen Victoria Bicentenary PSB contains reproductions of the 1st class 2015 1d red, 1d black and 2d blue, and two each of two Machin values, the 2p and 50p.

The 2p has appeared six times in PSBs and the colour has been almost consistent, allowing for variations in the computer engraving of the head which does change the appearance of the stamps. The 50p has appeared three times with greater variation, but all have been close to the gravure printed self-adhesive counter sheets. All this has now changed.

2p from RAF PSB (left) and Victoria PSB

50p from Waterloo PSB (left) and Victoria PSB

These are ostensibly the same colour!, that is, the change is not a deliberate colour change announced by Royal Mail. Where is the quality control? The printer is the same, the press is probably the same, why can't the colour be the same?

The Victorian stamps are more like the earlier ones (top) but there are differences especially in the 2d blue.

I expect the 2p and 50p to have new whole- or sub-numbers in Gibbons' Concise catalogue.

Of course finding these used, especially on cover, other than from a philatelic source will be impossible. With the 2nd class rate 61p and the 1st class 70p, the 50p doesn't even do anything!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

GB £1 Violet Machin head stamp, postally used Block 25!

So far British Philately has oddly not woken up to the massive scarcity of high value Definitive in blocks – being many times, than that many single stamps.

It will come one day, and those savvy enough to have seen the potential, will do well. :idea:

Here even Blocks 4 of higher values get great prices.

A £2 King block 8, on bulk postage receipt sold for $35,000 (£17,500) recently etc to heated bidding, on a $1000 Estimate –

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=83371

WHY a block 25 of the £1 Machin head stamp was used on a parcel here, is anyone’s guess instead of 5 x £5, or 8 x £3 etc - but it was.

Creased at top but pretty cool piece, and doubtless UNIQUE actually, and put it into stock very cheaply this week. (Stock 683HJ) We may even have someone here who thinks outside the box - and does not only buy pretty mint corner blocks, and mass produced PO packs and FDC. :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

With all modern definitives being self-adhesive that opportunity has gone. Any gummed (ie joined) blocks used now would be old stamps, still valid and probably bought by the user for 50% of face - unless like many dealers, they were bought as stock and are now being used because nobody wants them for their collections.

The self-adhesive high values were introduced on 17 February 2009; those they replaced were issued on 1 July 2003.
The gummed £1 value (not by then considered a high value) was issued in violet on 22.8.95 and magenta on 5.6.07.

With airmail stamps this year being issued for values up to £3.60 the term 'high values' is not used by Royal Mail any more, although collectors think they are far too high!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Ian .. yes sad no large used block will be about going forward. :)

Had not realised this was issued 24 years back - 25 quid was some serious money back then. :mrgreen:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

And of course the same applies all over the world as more consumers prefer self-stick

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I found these today. I know nothing about them. Can anyone help with information ?
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

norvic

Post by norvic »

Here's a website: https://www.transportticket.com/royalmail.html

The top pieces are tickets for people travelling on the postbus, and the cover says what it is. There are also Royal Mail regional picture postcards, some of which were quite pricey because of reprints/errors/etc, but there is not much call for them now and I doubt whether new collectors/finders would notice. There was a catalogue of all these cards, postbus and other.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Thankyou Norvic for that helpful information.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Kiwidude
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Kiwidude »

Hi there,

Here is a interesting Taxed Postcard. 12 April 1976

I'm not sure if the tax rate is right. Isn't it dounle?

Because it says 7cents but charge 12. Is that because of exchange rate.?
ImageImage
Anythings for sale, If the price is right. Send a board email.

norvic

Post by norvic »

If you look closely at the green Handstamp you will see that there is a green 5 on the surcharge line right up against the rh frame.

7+5=12 c

norvic

Post by norvic »

Picked up at Midpex, a nice 20g - 40g 1998 cover airmail to The Netherlands. The 44p stamp was not issued until the following year, so here is the 43p stamp supplemented with a 1p for the 2nd weight step. The 43p stamp was for the "up to 10g" letter to Zone 1 countries, and probably as difficult to find solo!

norvic

Post by norvic »

This registered airmail cover to the USA has given me a bit of a problem; I am still trying to resolve the rates.
The pre-printed stamp covers registration and inland postage for £1.04. By the time this was used the fees had increased, registration being £1 and the inland postage 15½p, so the 11½p stamp would have been added to old stocks prior to sale. So far so good.

Used on 27 March 1982 from Bristol, the registration fee for international mail was also £1. The total postage paid is £1.50½p so the balance is 50½p. All the additional postage & fees was paid by an odd combination of stamps.

The reverse shows the stub of an Advice of Receipt form; the fee for AR was 22½p. That leaves 28p, but the rate to the USA was 26p for 10g and 40p for 11-20g (and the 10g rate to Zone 2 was 29p). Even if this (addressed to Scouts on Stamps Society) was sent by a collector, it would have been handed over the counter so the total should have been correct. Even as a small packet, there is no 28p rate.

Any ideas, anyone?

mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

AR fees were still paid on a separate card IIRC, so the postage paid must have been 50½p -- which doesn't fit anything either! It looks rather like a customer adding their own stamps and making a pig's ear of working out the rate?

norvic

Post by norvic »

Ah, I haven't seen stamps on an AR card; but as you say, it still doesn't make sense. I'll have another think about how the stamps were chosen.

PeatedMike

Re: Share, discuss, or query, the GB MACHIN HEAD stamps/covers!

Post by PeatedMike »

Hi all: I'm a new member of StampBoards and just getting into the complex world of Machin collecting. I've subscribed to this forum so I can learn from all the experts here! Looking forward to contributing whenever I can. Thanks!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

mozzerb wrote:
12 Jul 2019 20:40
AR fees were still paid on a separate card IIRC, so the postage paid must have been 50½p -- which doesn't fit anything either! It looks rather like a customer adding their own stamps and making a pig's ear of working out the rate?
Avis de Réception, or AR Cards here at least, needed stamps affixed up to a certain point in time. They were presumably done so in line with UPU Rules?

In the past decades I see and use them now and again, and the cards have been green in colour here for decades and NO stamps are affixed to the card, but are paid along with the postage cost. No sure when that process changed.

Dave.mbe

Post by Dave.mbe »

PeatedMike wrote:
09 Jun 2020 09:07
Hi all: I'm a new member of StampBoards and just getting into the complex world of Machin collecting. I've subscribed to this forum so I can learn from all the experts here! Looking forward to contributing whenever I can. Thanks!
Welcome to you, Mike! Anything you need to know about Machins can be answered right here, but you will have to ask specifically. With Machins, no matter what the question, there will probably be at least a half dozen different, and yet totally correct answers.
That's the "fun" of Machins!
Dave

--- where do I find any other Machin-nuts here in Canada????

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

Dave.mbe wrote:
09 Jun 2020 14:18
where do I find any other Machin-nuts here in Canada????
The GB Philatelic Society (http://www.gbps.org.uk) do have quite a few Canadian members, some transferred over from the now-closed North American GB Collectors Club. I don't know what they all collect, but the odds of finding fellow Machin enthusiasts must be good. :)

PeatedMike

Post by PeatedMike »

Question from a newbie Machin collector to all the specialist guru's out there. I have two 1/6 turquoise and garter blue machin stamps - see photo. The left stamp has a clear white value while the value on the right stamp is showing some of the primary stamp colour. Is the right stamp a "screened value"?
Scan 1.jpeg

Dave.mbe

Post by Dave.mbe »

PeatedMike wrote:
22 Jun 2020 05:19
Question from a newbie Machin collector to all the specialist guru's out there. I have two 1/6 turquoise and garter blue machin stamps - see photo. The left stamp has a clear white value while the value on the right stamp is showing some of the primary stamp colour. Is the right stamp a "screened value"?
Hi Mike; Hopefully I can offer some help and some good news at the same time.

First, while neither of the images that you posted illustrate a "screened value", the whiter value is catalogued as "turquoise omitted" and is highly sought after... nice find!

Second, I have attached a photo of the 3p value as both unscreened (normal) and screened. Screened Machins only occur in those printed in the original photogravure, pre-1997, and only occasionally. Those printed in lithography and the more current issues using EME, electromagnetic engraving are never subject to this printing flaw. Most of these screened values can be identified reasonably easily with the aid of a 10x lens.

https://www.stampboards.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=5967

There are a few more common Machin values that exist only as screened and as such, keeping one of these on hand can be good for comparison and reference. (see the 4p, 4p. 4p, 5p multivalue coil).
Once you've seen an example, you'll realize how simple it actually is.

Hope that helps, and maybe we can do it again.

screened values.jpg
Dave

PeatedMike

Post by PeatedMike »

Thank you Dave. This was very helpful. I noticed the "turquoise omitted" variety in the Deegam handbook but had no idea it meant colour omitted from the 1/6 value. This turned out to be a very pleasant discovery! I did locate a screened value among the other 1/6's I was examining. I found a purple 34p which only comes with screened value so now have an excellent reference copy to work with. I'm sure I will have many more questions as I embark on this fascinating journey. Trying to distinguish 150 vs 250 phosphor screens has my eyes on overload so I have ordered a couple of specific 150 and 250 screened Machins to see if reference copies will help. Thanks again, Mike

Bennich
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Bennich »

Hello Machin Experts!

I'm attaching a scan of a couple of 9p yellow-orange and black (x882), where one appears to be missing the yellow orange (with a small crease, unfortunately). I can't find any reference to a missing colour - if that is what it is - in any of my limited catalogues.

Grateful for any advice/opinions.

Scan0002.jpg

norvic

Post by norvic »

I'm thinking that this is long exposure to sunlight which has caused the orange to bleach out. A larger picture, inline rather than as an attachment, would help, like the one showing the 3d.

Bennich

Post by Bennich »

Thanks Norvic!

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for and I'm a little limited on the technical side (locked down in Greece!). However here are perhaps better copies.

It could be a changeling as there is the slightest trace of yellow in the figure 9p and the Queen's chin/front of bust. But 'how' is more difficult, as this is a pair and if left out in the sun both stamps would probably be affected. It's been kept in a stockbook that I've had since at least 1985 - so nothing recent, for sure!

All best,

Ben

3.jpg
IMG_3238 (2).JPG

norvic

Post by norvic »

I hadn't appreciated that it was a pair, from the small image on a white background.

I agree it is odd, but it is not a missing colour, as you acknowledge.

PeatedMike

Post by PeatedMike »

I recently acquired a 150 and a 250 phosphor screened Machin with hopes of being able to figure out how to distinguish the two but I cannot figure out how the experts set them apart. Does anyone have a tried and true method for differentiating these two screen types? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

norvic

Re: Off with her nose!

Post by norvic »

On Thursday 9th the latest Prestige Stamp Book will be issued, featuring the band Queen.

I ordered just one for somebody else, and was delighted to find this startling error. I was looking at the iridescent printing to make sure that the M20L MPIL coding was all there (no missing P!), when I noticed that it was substantially shifted to the right.

It was when I took the photo that I realised that the rouletted perforation provided to separate the pane from the selvedge (for FDC production) is also shifted to the right. The displacement of both perforation and iridescent ink is around 11mm and results in the perforation cutting through the Queen's nose and touching the chin on the 1p stamp.

20200709-Queen defin PSB pane error.jpg
This is the full pane (publicity picture):

QUEEN PSB Pane 4.jpg

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Are you still sending it to your customer at the original price? :lol: :lol: :lol:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Sure - not. He wouldn't expect me to. I ordered another one for him.

Open to offers on it though.

PeatedMike

Post by PeatedMike »

Does anyone out there know whether it is possible to order cylinder blocks for currently circulating Machin definitives directly from the Royal Mail philatelic office or is a collector from Canada stuck with having to pay almost double face value for these via eBay? I looked at the Royal Mail online shop but couldn't find an option to order cylinder blocks. Thanks!

Dave.mbe

Post by Dave.mbe »

PeatedMike wrote:
24 Jun 2020 05:57
I recently acquired a 150 and a 250 phosphor screened Machin with hopes of being able to figure out how to distinguish the two but I cannot figure out how the experts set them apart. Does anyone have a tried and true method for differentiating these two screen types? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Mike; I don't believe that anyone has discovered an EASY method to differentiate these various screen types.
In fact, I don't know how these differences were discovered by collectors in the first place.

You mentioned that you had acquired a copy of the Deegam Catalogue and as such, look at Chapter 6 of the Handbook, Page C6-17 and the sub-heading 'Phosphor Screens' which provides the best offering of a test method that I have found.

(Just another reason why any and every serious Machin collector must consider owning his or her own copy of the Deegam Catalogue... which is updated every 10 to 12 weeks ABSOLUTELY FREE!!)
Dave

PeatedMike

Post by PeatedMike »

Thanks Dave. I did look at that section of the handbook a few times but couldn't make the differentiation with the samples in front of me. I'll give it another try!

norvic

Post by norvic »

PeatedMike wrote:
11 Jul 2020 05:01
Does anyone out there know whether it is possible to order cylinder blocks for currently circulating Machin definitives directly from the Royal Mail philatelic office or is a collector from Canada stuck with having to pay almost double face value for these via eBay? I looked at the Royal Mail online shop but couldn't find an option to order cylinder blocks. Thanks!
My understanding, from talking to MY customers about what they get direct, is that CBs of six are a standard product that they offer. But a customer who wanted CB10 was told no.

In fact he ordered them and for one value revived two horizontal strips of 5 both including the cylinder number, ie from two sheets!

And ebay is not of course your only option as there are many Machin dealers who charge less than 100% markups.

There’s a list on this page + read it carefully as some are recommendation and some just asked to be included https://blog.norphil.co.uk/p/important-notice.html

PeatedMike

Post by PeatedMike »

Thank you Ian. This is very helpful! All the best, Mike

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1971.jpg
Machin Head Orange Brown 10p stamp - 11 August 1971 from Cambridge to West Footscray, Vic, Australia
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1973.jpg
New Value Machin Heads 4½p, 5½p & 8p stamps - 24th October 1973 from Cambridge to West Footscray, Vic, Australia.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1974.jpg
New Machin Head 6½p peacock blue stamp - 4 September 1974 from Croydon, Surrey to Flinders Park, South Australia.
Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc designed by Peter Wilbur.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1975.jpg
New Machin Head 7p brown stamp - 15th January 1975 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to Farrer, ACT, Australia.
Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1975 -1.jpg
New Machin Head 8½p green stamp - 24th September 1975 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to Farrer, ACT, Australia.
Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1976.jpg
New Machin Head 9p, 9½p, 10p, 10½p, 11p & 20p stamps - 25th February 1976 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to Farrer, ACT, Australia. Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1977.jpg
New Machin Head 50p stamp - 2nd February 1977 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to the British Post Office Agency, Melbourne, Australia. Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

I am pretty sure that this address was the address of Melbourne Stamp Dealer "Max Stern". :)

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1978.jpg
New Machin Head 10½p stamp - 26th April 1978 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to the British Post Office Agency, Melbourne, Australia. Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1979.jpg
New Machin Head 11½p, 13p & 15p stamps - 15th August 1979 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to the British Post Office Agency, Melbourne, Australia. Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1980.jpg
New Machin Head 3p & 22p stamps - 22nd October 1980 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to the British Post Office Agency, Melbourne, Australia. Printed by Harrison & Sons with PO fdc being designed by Michael Burke.

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

GB FDc Machin 1982.jpg
New Machin Head 5p, 12½p, 16½p, 19½p, 26p & 29p stamps - 27th January 1982 from Philatelic Bureau Edinburgh to the British Post Office Agency, Melbourne, Australia. PO fdc cover designed by Michael Burke.

5p stamp was printed in offset litho by House of Questa (London) on phosphor coated paper with perforations 13½ x 14.

12½p, 16½p, 19½p, 26p & 29p stamps were printed in photogravure by Harrison & Sons (High Wycombe). The stamp paper is phosphor coated, except for the 12½p stamp which has fluorescent coated paper & the perforations of all 5 values are 14 x 15.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”