Killer stamp cancels! Post your cover UGLIES here.

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Killer stamp cancels! Post your cover UGLIES here.

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

:twisted: KILLER CANCELS :twisted:

The other topic has some great images - but what about those totally ruined by stupid or over enthusiastic postal clerks!!

Have look at these beauties:

And even one I lifted from your site Glen (hope this isn't a copyright infringement"!!!!)

Why not add some more examples to this thread :P

Lakatoi 4

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Nice thread Lakatoi,

Remember seeing the one that Glen got so mad about - at least he got a replacement I think. I have some killer ones that I need to scan.

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Great thread!

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Andrew,

Is that the "Medallions" or "Epaullettes" issue of Belgium?? :?

Hard to tell because of that KILLER CANCEL :twisted:

Lakatoi 4

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Lakatoi 4,

Am not too sure myself. Have come across a lot of the Malaysian stamps which have been badly cancelled and these i have not kept. Will look out for some more.

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

For some bizarre reason, I collect Danzig with "cork cancels". These are among the best (or worst!!!). :roll:

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Boy is this thread showing some ugly cancels. :twisted:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Funny thing is, with Danzig, it's one of the best ways of getting postally used.

About 95% of Danzig have "Danzig" CDS frankings, and a high percentage of those are CTO (Cancelled to Order).

Either cork cancels or cancels from the out-offices (Oliva, Zoppot, etc) are the most legitimate...

stamper
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stamper »

Wavy Lines are Bad enough...
But done with a Felt Tip pen !! :shock:

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Tragic!

scrute
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by scrute »

Another felt pen cancellation. This was well prepared by Glen and neatly cancelled by Castlecrag. Until some vandal in the post office used his felt pen.

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Wait till Glen sees this!!!! :x

I understand that Glen went to great lengths to ensure nice cancels on these so perhaps I should delete you post before I put him through this sort of pain!! :cry:

But then again, he might need to take this up with Castlecrag P.O. or further with Aust. Post!! :wink:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Russian roulette - Malaysian style?

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

That vandalism of the lovely central CDS cancel I sent last month to scrute infuriates me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It left me in PERFECT Superb used. I use those massive $5 stamps all the time.

If anyone gets similar things in their post, mail it to Philatelic with a note they will mail you a lot more than $5 in recent FU decimals - please mention me by name as Noel knows I hate to see such things! :shock:

He also hates it .. Philatelic heads send memos to postal staff ORDERING them not to deface any un-cancelled obvious philatelic frankings.

Address to

Noel Leahy
Manager, Philatelic Group
Australia Post
GPO Box 1777
Melbourne. 3001.

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

With 8 mutilated birds, one slightly crushed pineapple and some pounded pepper, perhaps we can still cook up some kind of a dish, with the mangosteens for decoration.

Anyone for pineapple bird soup/stew, delightfully decorated with 3 purple mangosteens?

Greg Ioannou

Re: Killer cancels!

Post by Greg Ioannou »

Lakatoi 4 wrote::twisted: KILLER CANCELS :twisted:

I'll happily take this one off your hands if you don't want it!

Greg

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Greg,

Sadly these particular covers aren't mine. If you right click on the image of that Canada cover then click "properties", you can see the link I got it from.
Tony

mikbatwine

Post by mikbatwine »

Here is another example of APO brutality.The stamp was hand cancelled in QLD as per the request of the sender but look what happens when it crossed the border. Pure vandalism

Mike
ANTE HONOREM EST HUMILITAS

mikbatwine

Post by mikbatwine »

Here is one just recieved in todays mail a beautiful black cross cancel.

Thankfully it was only a $4 stamp

Mike

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Glen is going to have a coniption when he sees that.
Always looking for KGV British Commonwealth, mint, used, covers, anything

CHzug1291
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

AP POSTMARK ABUSE !

Post by CHzug1291 »

I think some one should invite Noel to participate on this board!
If anyone gets similar things in their post, mail it to Philatelic with a note they will mail you a lot more than $5 in recent FU decimals - please mention me by name as Noel knows I hate to see such things!
Peter

mikbatwine

Post by mikbatwine »

Myself think it is being done on purpose as the APO knows we collectors/dealers will try & resell them for more than the face value (I wish).

Funny it is always when the item goes through the Prestons DC depot that I have this problem.
Mike

brian31stamps
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: AP POSTMARK ABUSE !

Post by brian31stamps »

CHzug1291 wrote:I think some one should invite Noel to participate on this board!
If anyone gets similar things in their post, mail it to Philatelic with a note they will mail you a lot more than $5 in recent FU decimals - please mention me by name as Noel knows I hate to see such things!
Peter
Hi Peter, great to meet with you the other day. That now makes three new friends met through this stamp board.

Now, re-Noel Leahy, here is his reply to my contact with him last July regarding pen obliterations etc.

Following, with permission, is the reply I received to my letter addressed to [Noel Leahy - Group Manager Philatelic -Australia Post] as reported in last month's newsletter following complaints of mutilation of stamps and other poor philatelic experiences with Australia Post.

"Firstly I would like to thank you for the opportunity to respond to your article which appeared on page two of the Campbelltown Philatelic News alongside your concerns raised in your letter of 4th July. You spoke in the Campbelltown Philatelic news article of Australia Post 'mutilating' stamps sent through the mailstream.

Australia post understands your point of view. However, we would ask you to understand australia post must concentrate its energies on its primary and fundamental task - to deliver letters as efficiently and as economically as possible.

As you may be aware, through the introduction of operational efficiencies, Australia Post has been able to maintain a low price of a standard letter at 45¢ through most of the 90's and more recently at 50¢.

Through this time we have also improved delivery performance. As you would appreciate there is a requirement for all stamps to be cancelled, so that they may not be reused. It has been Australia Post's policy for Many years to allow cancellation by pen, as an alternative to cancellation with a postmarker.

Pen is to be used when postmark cancellation had not been applied effectively, or when it would be quicker than cancellation with a postmarker. Cancellation by pen is a valid cancellation and most often is applied at delivery time when it is noticed that the stamps have not been cancelled.

The vast majority of mail users are primarily concerned with the cost and service of the postal system, and are not concerned with postmarking formats. Stamp collectors are, of course, vitally interested, and whilst the vast majority of stamp cancellation is via postmarks (hand and machine applied), unfortunately it is not practical to identify whether a letter has been sent by or intended for a stamp collector and to subsequently give it special treatment.

As a consequence some will have pen cancellations. Regarding the query raised in your letter, I can confirm that we did include a special product in the Annual Collection 2005. I take on board that this would not be able to be purchased outside of the collection, but can say the stamps used in this sheet were available outside of the collection, just not in the same sheetlet configuration.

We certainly felt that this product added value to the Annual Collection and gave our loyal customers an additional benefit when purchasing the collection. I have also noted that you are looking for some material to promote philately to juniors attending the Fisher's Ghost Stamp Fair in November 2006. We would be happy to provide you with some product for sample bags and will contact you shortly to arrange.

Mr Roberts, I hope that I have addressed your concerns but invite you to contact me if you would like further clarification on any of the above issues."

My response via our newsletter.

While I appreciate Mr Leahy's overall statement I still believe that he is not in tune with us stamp collectors viz "!!!

"but can say the stamps used in this sheet were available outside of the collection, just not in the same sheetlet configuration"!!!!

Best of luck Mike et all - I couldn't get a sympathetic response from Mr Leahy yet AP still chooses to milk the philatelic cow!!

Brian
Start the day with a smile - its infectious

CHzug1291

Mutulation of Stamps?

Post by CHzug1291 »

,Pen is to be used when postmark cancellation had not been applied effectively
Yes Brian, I had a good time, meeting with the "Inspector of the Poor" and Mike.

Below a example from the AP which still send's my heart beat thru my dentures!

My daughter had the cover "hand cancelled" at TOUKLEY Post Office, to make sure her Dad is getting something special for his collection!

How about that?

Peter

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Makes you want to scream, doesn't it? If Noel's reply is accurate, pen cancels can be used if it is noticed that the stamps aren't cancelled. How would he explain this? I don't suppose "most of our employees are morons" would fit the corporate view?

QldCds

Murdered stamps

Post by QldCds »

Aust PO employees?? these days a PO is just another business like a milkbar...(who remembers these?).

I bought a brilliant item from Glen Stephens, and received it with the large 'Roo $5.00 stamp beautifully postmarked 'Castlecrag' etc.

And murdered by an indelible ink slash...response from local PO (?) 'we are under pressure here and it didn't look right'

Maybe some time in the future when there are no POs and everything is machine-cancelled these may be collectable?

Meanwhile, this is a depressing thread!

Kloster

Post by Kloster »

As a letter carrier myself, I find it odd that some of thoese cancelled stamps got a round with the pen anyway!

A product in Denmark, for stamp collectors only - a 5 piece sticker leaflet... "Please cancel for collecting use" - leaflet goes on the letter and delivered at the postoffice (not throwen into the mailbox as some do and complain about it...) where they will use a hand cancel and pass the letter on.

To avoide the machine cancels.

but there are postmen/women who really don't care much about that, becours they are running their feet off at work!

I'm using the pen myself to cancel ca $us100 everyday at work, stamps that the machine didn't catch as there really isn't time to gather all thoese "special" letters and let the lady at the office have a go at em.

Kloster

brian31stamps

Luck of the draw

Post by brian31stamps »

Today I spoke with my friendly postie as he was delivering my mail.

I asked him what action he takes when he notices that a stamp has not been cancelled. His reply was "nothing".

When I told him of Noel Leahy's reply to my letter he replied that he was unaware that he was allowed to cancel stamps with pen.

He further commented that he had enough to do without worring about such trivial issues.

It would seem that the guy at the local sorting centre would the person armed with a black texta and blue ball point pen. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Brian

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

The larger covers I get are not cancelled properly with many of the multiples remaining uncancelled.

This is a bit of a bonus because most of the auction catalogue covers use earlyish decimal stamps. 8)

Peteski76

Post by Peteski76 »

Here is my personal favourite (if you can have a favourite :twisted: killer :twisted: cancel). Some thoughtful ebayer used it when mailing a lot to me - I am always grateful to got mini sheets cos I quite like them.

This was released to commerate the new £3 stamp and to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the year of 3 kings (and possibly to squeeze a bit more money out of people like me who have a standing order for mini sheets!). Some idiot hand stamped all of the kings... :evil:

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

At least the cancels are light and neat.

I personally think it looks BRILLIANT. 8)

brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

mikbatwine wrote:Here is one just recieved in todays mail a beautiful black cross cancel.

Thankfully it was only a $4 stamp
Maybe you can put it in your collection alongside your Maltese Crosses and Penny Blacks :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Brian

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Not a :twisted: Killer Cancel :twisted: but to my mind just as bad. A :twisted: Killer Rip Off :twisted:

This was a very nice cover before some idiot got to it:

I have seen the original cover type around but don't have one. Can someone who has one post it up for all to see what it should have looked like :?:
Tony

muskokan
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Cork Cancellation

Post by muskokan »

Hi All

Regarding the Port Carling cover, I too would gladly take that off of your hands

It is the BHJ marking and these are the initials of the first Postmaster of the Port Carling office, Benjamin Hardcastle Johnson.

These covers are not seen too often, I can assure you :wink:

The town of Port Carling is located only 14 miles west of me.

Happy collecting

Muskokan

If it is full of holes, keep it, it might be a perfin.[/b]

Hello

I have been collecting for a number of years now and I am downsizing my collection to just a few countries and specialties.

mini276
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Nice or Yuckie?

Post by mini276 »

Some postmarks here!

erich

Post by erich »

Neat usage, but no one will call it pretty:

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Erich,

Nice cover to me and with 17 stamps with fairly neat cancellations, even though they are not crystal clear.

Cheers
Andrew

Lakatoi 4

Re: Cork Cancellation

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

muskokan wrote:Hi All

Regarding the Port Carling cover, I too would gladly take that off of your hands
Muskokan,

As per my reply to Greg in the original post above, this cover isn't mine (I wish it was though). Right click on the image, then click the properties section which will then give you the link to the website I got it from. I thought it was a perfect "killer cancel" image immediately I saw it on that web site.

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Just when you expect the worst, I received a parcel from a board member in the UK today. Beautifully plastered with a Harry Potter strip, an Ashes minisheet, set of 4 NHS and some machins.

Not a postmark or scribble in sight. Completely untouched. I think I'll take it to my local PO and demand to know why they weren't postmarked! He's an accomodating fellow, he might just nick each one with the rim of a CDS for me so they're VFU instead of that dreaded (by me at least) "unused".

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Here's a killer from Victoria (similar type's exist from Tasmania):

brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Wait till Glen sees this!!!! :x

I understand that Glen went to great lengths to ensure nice cancels on these so perhaps I should delete you post before I put him through this sort of pain!! :cry:

But then again, he might need to take this up with Castlecrag P.O. or further with Aust. Post!! :wink:
I have just received a parcel from Hong Kong having purchased some Beijing Olympic issues on ebay.

The vendor was great attaching many attractive stamps
- just so Australia Post could exercise their callous nature yet again.

Have a look at the pic and see why my Noel Leahy voodoo doll no longer has any more room for pins :evil:

NOT HAPPY JAN :cry:

Brian

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Morons. Absolute f#%[at]*+g morons. I'd love to see the application form for employment at Australia Post. Where do they get these cretins???

apptec
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by apptec »

These didn't make into my album for some reason :roll:

And thats a joined pair of 1shilling roo's
If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem.

GJ50
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by GJ50 »

Where do you suggest they place the sticker, over the name so it can't be delivered !!!!
The sender should have allowed more space, considering it is registered.
Maybe a few less higher value stamps would have been the answer. A nice block of 4 x $5 plus 1 x $10.

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Of course! It's the senders fault! Perhaps the label could be smaller, or the AP moron could have aimed for the bottom left, or, as it has to be signed for, the back of the envelope. Oh, wait, that's probably against some AP rule as well.

brian31stamps

Post by brian31stamps »

GJ50 wrote:Where do you suggest they place the sticker, over the name so it can't be delivered !!!!
The sender should have allowed more space, considering it is registered.
Maybe a few less higher value stamps would have been the answer. A nice block of 4 x $5 plus 1 x $10.
This response almost suggests that you support Australia Post - I am surprised!

Sherro's comments would echo the feelings of most board members that since these labels and in other cases pen marks are added by hand (and not machine) that more care could be taken with mail obviously intended for stamp collectors.

Brian

Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

apptec wrote:These didn't make into my album for some reason :roll:

And thats a joined pair of 1shilling roo's
That sure looks like :twisted: R.I.P. :twisted: cancelled on the single 1/- roo :?
Tony

apptec

Post by apptec »

It is Tony,

May they all rest in peace, cause they are not resting in my album. :lol:
If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem.

jrg

Post by jrg »

It's registered, ergo a signature is required - isn't it?

So why do they need a bloody great sticker to say what the reg sticker has already said?
John

Looking for used pre-decimal OS/NSW and G/NSW state perfins, and NWPI KGV overprints.

GJ50
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by GJ50 »

This response almost suggests that you support Australia Post - I am surprised!

Sherro's comments would echo the feelings of most board members that since these labels and in other cases pen marks are added by hand (and not machine) that more care could be taken with mail obviously intended for stamp collectors.
I support private enterprise. That is "I expect business to provide a speedy and efficient service". Australia Post is not a company operated for stamp collectors. If it was it would have been closed down long ago.

I was just making the case that "fewer stamps" would avoid the problem.

Also high value stamps are traditionally worth more used after a few years than a dozen low value ones.

From a Postal History point of view that cover is worthless, however if it has 2 x $10, 1 x $5, 1 x $2.50 and a 1 x$1.20 making up the correct rate then I would have bought it and paid good price too.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”