Killer stamp cancels! Post your cover UGLIES here.

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

mpr2000
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: Show us your "VANDALISED" covers from your Post office.

Post by mpr2000 »

BigSaint wrote:mpr2000
They buggered 19 stamps just on this one envelope of mine. :twisted: :evil:

Brad
such a shame! so many pretty stamps...!

nickbloxham

Post by nickbloxham »

I am so enjoying this thread,
Pen striking isn't a new invention i have so many seahorses at least 9 reds struck in blue 1 green and totally scribbled over browns

BUT the one i really NEED to find you (wherever i have put it) is the 6 pence brown 1847 embossed where they have been as efficient as we know only victorians could be. That stamp has been carefully trimmed to an octagon with such precision, stuck on brown paper and then obliterated so completely that you can only just see a trace of the brown between the thick black lines ..and they were careful to not get a single bit of ink on the wrapping paper. As appalled as i was when i came across it i can now see this thread was that stamps destiny all along i must find it

for now i will add this one

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

nickbloxham wrote:Image
This is not "vandalised" - it was standard practice for stamps to receive manuscript cancellations when fiscally used.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

nickbloxham wrote:I am so enjoying this thread,
Pen striking isn't a new invention i have so many seahorses at least 9 reds struck in blue 1 green and totally scribbled over browns

And this is simply a blue registration cross.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

rsellens
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by rsellens »

Another couple of pieces vandalised by Australia Post this month.

I brought this to the attention of the local postmaster who said he will advise staff to be more careful in future. Will be interesting to see if they take any notice.

Bunge

Post by Bunge »

I've had about 15 vandalised covers in the last 2 years, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Here's the latest one

Cheers Bunge :P
It's better to have them and not need them
Than to need them and not have them

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Australia Post at its best.

This is the 5th cover I have had vandalised by them in 4 days.

A nice CDS was applied at the originating post office and then it was machine franked as well and the local idiot was not happy with proceedings so far so he decided to ruin the stamp completely with a texta!

More words were said at the post office today.

manfaefife
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by manfaefife »

Does this 77 year old First Day usage cover count as vandalised ? Address cut out and covered up with brown paper tape.

Donald.
Collector of Kirkcaldy Postcards & Postal History

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by vikingeck »

rsellens wrote:Australia Post at its best.

This is the 5th cover I have had vandalised by them in 4 days.

A nice CDS was applied at the originating post office and then it was machine franked as well and the local idiot was not happy with proceedings so far so he decided to ruin the stamp completely with a texta!

More words were said at the post office today.
Now Ross, the Black scribble with your box number is done by the SAME IDIOT who scribbled "Sellens" & the Box Number on the other two covers from a couple of days ago !

The post master's message has not got through!
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Hoefully the message will get through. Spoke to another clerk at the post office yesterday. The person involved is a new employee who has not got a clue. He is going to be spoken to about it again and a sign is being put on my box to remind him. More to pick up today so I live in hope!

mdhewitt
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by mdhewitt »

Received a couple of nice freebies from bear0001 yesterday. However, the cover for them apparently angered the postal clerk who decided to take out his frustrations on the stamps.

A single pen mark wan't enough. He/she must have colored outside the lines as a child. :-(
Many thanks!
Mike

Collecting USA Mint and Used; World; Topical interests: Baseball, Fly Fishing, Fishing Flies, Sport Fish, National Parks FDCs, and Pictorial Cancels. Current Want Lists: Baseball; Fly Fishing/Fish

mdhewitt

Post by mdhewitt »

I don't even know where to begin with this one. On a frustration scale of 1-10, I registered at least a 12. But before I show you these monuments to postal stupidity, let me provide some context. The USPS provides a service called Informed Delivery wherein a daily email is sent with images of "letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon." So far the emails have always contained images of the mail arriving that day.

Today's Informed Delivery contained, among others, the following four images [with addresses redacted by me prior to posting here]:

Of course, I immediately knew I was receiving the July cover swaps from Henrik, including one more cover than we had agreed upon and thought, "It's a good philatelic day in my mailbox!"

Imagine my surprise this afternoon when I opened my mailbox and found these:

Pardon my language, but some rat bastard all but completely obliterated the stamps. Note that all of the stamps except for 1 each on 2 of the covers had been clearly canceled. Although, if they hadn't been, why a USPS employee would be concerned about uncanceled Sweden stamps is beyond me. I have received several other foreign covers with no cancelations since I've been collecting.

But here is what really gets me. I don't truly know when during the sorting process the images are automatically captured, but I am inclined to believe that since I receive both the images and the mail on the same day, that they are captured locally when the mail arrives and is sorted for daily distribution. Therefore, a local USPS employee who works in our only branch in town did this.

Unfortunately, the mail arrived too late for me to go to the post office today (Friday), and they are closed on Saturday and Sunday, but come Monday I will be seeking an explanation for this senseless and unwarranted vandalism of my mail. I doubt sincerely that I will receive anything other than a routine apology with little or no real concern on their part, but at least I may feel a little better after expressing my displeasure.
Many thanks!
Mike

Collecting USA Mint and Used; World; Topical interests: Baseball, Fly Fishing, Fishing Flies, Sport Fish, National Parks FDCs, and Pictorial Cancels. Current Want Lists: Baseball; Fly Fishing/Fish

Bijoy

Post by Bijoy »

Very sad, Mike.
Was the postie blind or had dark shades?

Maybe, you could threaten to sue the Postmaster .... unless the person responsible for the mayhem is taken to task, with an assurance this would not occur again :x :x

I would do that if I were you, considering the irrefutable proof in hand.
Nordic Countries Recent Issues [Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland] and Thematic Meters
My Wishlist :: My Swaplist

Kennethsequeira
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Real Pathetic behavior by the postal staff
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Joint Issues, Flags on stamps
Mint MS : India,UAE,Canada & Malaysia

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by vicaf60 »

An example of quite the opposite attitude, yet, with the same outcome - spoiled cover.
This cover received from Italy from Gianni (thestamp) might have been an interesting piece of postal history as it presents the conversion of old Italian liras into Euros and, thus, an official use of older stamps with denominations in the previous currency (if it hadn't been for the lack of any required work on the side of Italian post office clerks) :(

Now, it can only go to scrap :(

norvic

Post by norvic »

mdhewitt wrote:I don't even know where to begin with this one. On a frustration scale of 1-10, I registered at least a 12. But before I show you these monuments to postal stupidity, let me provide some context. The USPS provides a service called Informed Delivery wherein a daily email is sent with images of "letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon." So far the emails have always contained images of the mail arriving that day.

Pardon my language, but some rat bastard all but completely obliterated the stamps. Note that all of the stamps except for 1 each on 2 of the covers had been clearly canceled. Although, if they hadn't been, why a USPS employee would be concerned about uncanceled Sweden stamps is beyond me. I have received several other foreign covers with no cancelations since I've been collecting.

But here is what really gets me. I don't truly know when during the sorting process the images are automatically captured, but I am inclined to believe that since I receive both the images and the mail on the same day, that they are captured locally when the mail arrives and is sorted for daily distribution. Therefore, a local USPS employee who works in our only branch in town did this.

Unfortunately, the mail arrived too late for me to go to the post office today (Friday), and they are closed on Saturday and Sunday, but come Monday I will be seeking an explanation for this senseless and unwarranted vandalism of my mail. I doubt sincerely that I will receive anything other than a routine apology with little or no real concern on their part, but at least I may feel a little better after expressing my displeasure.
Complain to the Office of the Inspector General, and tell the postmaster that you are going to take legal action for deliberate destruction of YOUR property. In this case they can't even maintain revenue protection or destruction of USPS property.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

mdhewitt wrote:I don't even know where to begin with this one. On a frustration scale of 1-10, I registered at least a 12. But before I show you these monuments to postal stupidity, let me provide some context. The USPS provides a service called Informed Delivery wherein a daily email is sent with images of "letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon." So far the emails have always contained images of the mail arriving that day.

Today's Informed Delivery contained, among others, the following four images [with addresses redacted by me prior to posting here]:

Of course, I immediately knew I was receiving the July cover swaps from Henrik, including one more cover than we had agreed upon and thought, "It's a good philatelic day in my mailbox!"

Imagine my surprise this afternoon when I opened my mailbox and found these:

Unbelievable... :x :evil:
Let me know what they say on Monday. If there is no risk it will happen again I will send you the butterfly stamps that you wished for again.
The good thing is that you know where it happened. Hadn't it been for the scans (funny thing by the way!) there would be no chance of telling if it happened in Sweden, USA or somewhere in between.

mdhewitt

Post by mdhewitt »

henrik_rrb wrote:
Unbelievable... :x :evil:
Let me know what they say on Monday. If there is no risk it will happen again I will send you the butterfly stamps that you wished for again.
The good thing is that you know where it happened. Hadn't it been for the scans (funny thing by the way!) there would be no chance of telling if it happened in Sweden, USA or somewhere in between.
Henrik, thank you so much for the kind offer, but that is too much to ask for. This is on the US post office. There's no need for you to resend the butterfly stamps. I appreciate the gesture, though.
Many thanks!
Mike

Elkra
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!
RUBY Gemstone Stampboard BARONET!

Post by Elkra »

Not as bad as some of the items on here, but still bad;
Could have slapped the Registered Sticker on the back?
Like this one;
John
Interests: Ireland - Luxembourg - Christmas/Rugby/Racehorses on Stamps.

AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Mike are you on twitter? You could post images there! It will have an impact , make sure to tag the official USPS twitter handle.
Collecting Mint China, Malaysia and mint Mini sheets! http://philatelyex.blogspot.in/

mdhewitt

Post by mdhewitt »

Vandalism Update:

I went to the post office yesterday (Monday) and was there when they opened the doors at 9:00 a.m. I asked to see the postmaster or a supervisor, but was informed that one would not be available until at least 10:30 a.m. as they were assisting the carriers with the sorting of mail. It was suggested I should come back at that time. That didn't fit MY schedule, so I grumpily went away to try again today.

I was at the post office this morning promptly at 11:00 a.m. (so no excuses), and the lobby clerk took my request, and after conferring with another counter clerk, headed into the back to find a supervisor. He appeared shortly and we had a brief conversation in which I spoke somewhat tersely and he listened carefully. I had with me the vandalized stamps already shown above, plus some other Postcrossing cards I had received Saturday and Monday which had also been vandalized.

In addition to the evidence of vandalism, I also took a binder full of my previously received covers without vandalism to show that it was possible to deliver my mail without the heinous obliteration of the stamps. In short, he was very contrite and apologetic.

As it turns out, my regular carrier has been temporarily assigned elsewhere, and this carrier has only been working my route since last Friday when I received the first batch of adulterated mail. This confirmed that it was indeed the carrier that had been Sharpie happy and he knew exactly who it was. He assured me that this would be taken care of.

He is placing a bright green Carrier Alert card on whatever sorting system the carriers use with instructions to not deface my stamps. Since today's mail had already been sorted and the carrier had, like Elvis, left the building, today's Postcrossing arrival will likely have the lovely addition of black Sharpie scribbled across the stamps, but hopefully subsequent deliveries will be Sharpie free.

We shall see ...
Many thanks!
Mike

Kennethsequeira

mdhewitt wrote:Vandalism Update:

I went to the post office yesterday (Monday) and was there when they opened the doors at 9:00 a.m. I asked to see the postmaster or a supervisor, but was informed that one would not be available until at least 10:30 a.m. as they were assisting the carriers with the sorting of mail. It was suggested I should come back at that time. That didn't fit MY schedule, so I grumpily went away to try again today.

I was at the post office this morning promptly at 11:00 a.m. (so no excuses), and the lobby clerk took my request, and after conferring with another counter clerk, headed into the back to find a supervisor. He appeared shortly and we had a brief conversation in which I spoke somewhat tersely and he listened carefully. I had with me the vandalized stamps already shown above, plus some other Postcrossing cards I had received Saturday and Monday which had also been vandalized.

In addition to the evidence of vandalism, I also took a binder full of my previously received covers without vandalism to show that it was possible to deliver my mail without the heinous obliteration of the stamps. In short, he was very contrite and apologetic.

As it turns out, my regular carrier has been temporarily assigned elsewhere, and this carrier has only been working my route since last Friday when I received the first batch of adulterated mail. This confirmed that it was indeed the carrier that had been Sharpie happy and he knew exactly who it was. He assured me that this would be taken care of.

He is placing a bright green Carrier Alert card on whatever sorting system the carriers use with instructions to not deface my stamps. Since today's mail had already been sorted and the carrier had, like Elvis, left the building, today's Postcrossing arrival will likely have the lovely addition of black Sharpie scribbled across the stamps, but hopefully subsequent deliveries will be Sharpie free.

We shall see ...
Way to go mdhewitt, hope that's the end of this episode

britjag
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by britjag »

Sounds like the best reason for signing up for informed delivery I've heard yet.

BTW: our mail carrier was very enthused about the new service when he brought our mail yesterday. Think I will be signing up for this.
I collect: USA, Canada, F1, soccer, flags, maps, cats, space and anything else WW that's cool. Want list:http://www.Wishlistr.com/Britjag

henrik_rrb

Post by henrik_rrb »

mdhewitt wrote:Vandalism Update:

We shall see ...
Good job, Mike! That should make sure there is no further vandalism on your covers/postcards in the future! I still have no idea why someone at the post office would do this to stamps already postmarked, but I'm sure this guy will not be doing the same mistake again...

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Well done Mike on stamping out a stamp vandal.

Amazing how the USPO gave you the evidence to identify the culprit :!:

Brad :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

aviwire

Post by aviwire »

Add these two :(

I Collect: Used Stamps - India, Australia & Great BritainStamps on Stamps/Post/Philately, Medicine/Health

Bijoy

Post by Bijoy »

That's very sad Avinash, especially when the strip of Commonwealth Games is a "perforation shifted variety".

Most of the counters handling Registered or Speedpost mail don't have CDS .... the easy way out is to use the pen :(
Nordic Countries Recent Issues [Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland] and Thematic Meters

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Bijoy wrote:Most of the counters handling Registered or Speedpost mail don't have CDS
That sounds silly...at post offices in most countries, registered/EMS mail is always handcancelled, to prove the posting date (in Hong Kong, staff will also flip over a letter and place a 'chop' on the flap of the envelope).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

mdhewitt

Post by mdhewitt »

Friday Followup:

Three pieces of mail bearing foreign stamps came in today and they were all vandalism free! At least for the moment my talk with the local postal supervisor was effective. Crossing my fingers it stays this way.
Many thanks!
Mike

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

mdhewitt wrote:Received a couple of nice freebies from bear0001 yesterday. However, the cover for them apparently angered the postal clerk who decided to take out his frustrations on the stamps.

He is lucky they made it out of Australia. All these stamps are, and always were illegal to use on mail from here.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Bijoy

Post by Bijoy »

aethelwulf wrote:
Bijoy wrote:Most of the counters handling Registered or Speedpost mail don't have CDS
That sounds silly...at post offices in most countries, registered/EMS mail is always handcancelled, to prove the posting date (in Hong Kong, staff will also flip over a letter and place a 'chop' on the flap of the envelope).
Labels are the norm now - at least one counter in a large post office would have a CDS. To avail it, a request has to be made and taken to the counter that has the CDS.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Bijoy wrote:
aethelwulf wrote:
Labels are the norm now - at least one counter in a large post office would have a CDS. To avail it, a request has to be made and taken to the counter that has the CDS.
I forgot about using labels. :oops:

aethelwulf

Re: Killer stamp cancels! Post your cover UGLIES here.

Post by aethelwulf »

Royal Mail's texta warrior strikes again,

Alan on Tyneside
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Alan on Tyneside »

The new royal blue 'looks just like it's been done with a marker pen' cancel from Royal Mail:

Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Pretty lazy postal clerks just using a felt pen for cancelling.

On the other side of the coin their laziness here has reached epic proportions as I rarely get stamps cancelled on cover from within Australia.
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

A member here mailed me a box of stuff this week. See below.

He emailed me after doing so, saying -

Glen,

Posted today to your PO BOX - I forgot to put a note in the box though - Let me know if they use stamps please as they usually affix them for me and always say they will do so but when I leave I always think they stick a label on it thinking I’ll not know!!!

He'll be infuriated to learn his SEDDON VICTORIA PO affixed some attractive stamps (often using clear adhesive tape to do so, the dopes) and on EVERY stamp they ran a black pen right through them.

This weirdly was done BEFORE they were affixed. All the $1 Insects had the pen ran through then BEFORE being peeled off the roll and affixed. As can be seen clearly seen on all the ones near my address level - the pen does not extend OFF the stamps if you look carefully. So was before BEFORE before affixed - and certainly was not done in transit anywhere.

Sad to see, and of course costs him, as the price I pay for things, is in part reflected on whether the parcel franking is of some value. Clear cello tape and biro marks do not make used stamps and sheets saleable!
SHAME on Seddon PO .. don't you own a cds cancel ???
I have typed here 1000 times that EVERY collector should have a small folder of attractive mint postage in their stamp den. Buy an issue you like in some duplication for future use, (by far the wisest) or buy some postage lots off dealers, but either way YOU then affix stamps BEFORE you get to PO, and do not need to use cellotape. Calculating rates is a cinch in advance - it is NOT rocket science. :idea:

Standing at counter asking politely for a neat cds cancel of your nice stamps ALWAYS works, if the parcel is pre-franked. A cinch. 8)

So few use their own stamps my mind boggles. Parcels are NOT cheap and this way YOU determine the franking. :!:

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Alan on Tyneside

Post by Alan on Tyneside »

Oh no! I've missed a 'signed for' delivery while I was out. Never mind though, I'll just request the marvellous redelivery service!

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Now don't they still chop off your head if you deface the Queen's image:
:twisted:
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

58 quid of MY money and look what some moron did. :roll: :twisted:

norvic

Post by norvic »

Alan on Tyneside wrote:Oh no! I've missed a 'signed for' delivery while I was out. Never mind though, I'll just request the marvellous redelivery service!

To be fair, there's not much space on there for the instruction label. And that was nearly 2 years ago, so not necessarily reflective of current practice.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:58 quid of MY money and look what some moron did. :roll: :twisted:
£60 (the E stamps have a postal value of £1.17 now), but look forward to some changes next year. Can't say any more because I don't know which suggestions they are going to propose and which will be taken up, but I am hopeful.

aerogi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by aerogi »

I went to the newspapershop to collect a registered letter I was expecting from Denmark.

So the friendly lady gave me this cover and I was a bit dissappointed by the looks of this silly pink sticker that was on it.

So I put it in my bag and continued with my bike to get home from work. Getting more and more mad... until I noticed when I took it out of my bag it was a post-it to ask for a nice cancel :mrgreen:

that was quite a relief :)

sickchef

Post by sickchef »

A nice neat straight line...
No matter how hard you push the envelope it will still remain stationery.

Wayne1951

Post by Wayne1951 »

A nice envelope from our Granddaughter. :evil:
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

Kennethsequeira

Pen strikes again :evil:

BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Given the title of this thread has altered since I last posted here I think I can post this vandalized cover here now:

The owner of this cover (& many others, yikes :shock: ) decided his privacy outweighed the saleability of his extensive Australia, AAT, NZ & Islands fdc collection so he removed his address from all of them. I hate to think how much money he lost by this vandalism.

Compared to the others I saw tonight at Brighton Philatelic Society this was one of the worst censored covers among the collection.

Brad :evil:

Kennethsequeira

:evil: marker cancels

GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

Received from nystamps a couple of years ago.

But wait ... there's more.

Cheers, Gordon

GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

Here's #2 a week later - same source.

But wait ... there's more.

Cheers, Gordon

GYDAM

Post by GYDAM »

This is #3 a week later! From the same source - nystamps.

To me, this mutilation seems to be out of the same post office and I'm suspecting Fresh Meadows, New York. I complained to nystamps, with scans. No acknowledgement/communication whatsoever!

Up until this time I had always been happy with nystamps - have not bought a thing from them since and they're like Readers Digest - can't get off their email/mailing list.

Cheers, Gordon

**** At our next stamp club meeting coming up on Thursday 1 Feb - the topic for display is "Mutilated Mail". Over the last 6 - 12 months our members have been encouraged to save all their horrors to allow a "crying on collective shoulders".

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”