Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Offices

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Peebinga, South Australia:
Image
Wesley Cover Service fdc for 2d Brown QEII
Image
Postmarked Peebinga 21st March 1962.
PPA tells us that the Peebinga Post Office opened on 1st July 1927 & closed on 30th May 1986.

Peebinga is a town South Australia about 211 kms east of Adelaide, 45 kms north of Pinnaroo & 69 kms south east of Loxton with a population of 32. It was the terminus of the Peebinga railway line which was built in 1914 as part of a major state government project to open up the Murray Mallee for grazing and cropping.

When the railway was built, it terminated in the scrub in the district of Peebinga. The town was later surveyed in 1924 adjacent to the railway station. The current locality of Peebinga includes the historic place of Mootatunga which was the next-to-last stop on the railway line & is now adjacent to Peebinga Conservation Park. Peebinga was named by Governor of South Australia, Tom Bridges after the district, which had previously been named by Governor Day Bosanquet in 1912 from the Aboriginal name for a rock hole in the area. The railway closed in 1990.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Glenelg North Aroona Place, South Australia:
Image
Wesley Cover Service fdc for 75th Anniversary of the Royal Life Saving Society
Image
Postmarked 6th July 1966.
Whilst PPA recorded the existence of this post office, there was no other details included.

I therefore must thank Stampboarder Bunge for supply the following information on this post office.

Glenelg North Aroona Place, previously operated under the name of "GolfLands". It changed name to "Glenelg North Aroona Place" on the 11th January 1965 & closed 1st July 1994.

Aroona Place is a small street that runs between Aroona Avenue & Shannon Avenue in Glenelg North. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Glenelg East, South Australia:
Image
Parade fdc for Change of Colour QEII red 5d.
Image
Postmarked 30th June 1965.
Whilst PPA recorded the existence of this post office, there was no other details included.

I therefore must thank Stampboarder Bunge for supply the following information on this post office.

Glenelg East Post Office opened on 3rd December 1945 & closed on 8th July 1975.

Glenelg East is a residential suburb 9 kilometres south west of the centre of Adelaide with a population of about 3,700. Glenelg East is bordered by Anzac Highway to the north, Cliff Street to the south, Brighton Road to the west and Buttrose Street to the east. With the Glenelg and Glenelg South beaches within walking distance, the suburb is a popular place. The Glenelg tram, which runs through Glenelg East, has four stops within the suburb.

The Glenelg Oval is a well-used cricket and Australian Rules Football venue that is the home ground for the SANFL Glenelg Football Club.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Meribah, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked on closing day of post office - 21st June 1985.
Image
PPA tells us Meribah opened as Receiving Office on 5th April 1915, became a Post Office on 17th March 1916 & closed on 21st June 1985.

Meribah is a small settlement in the Brown's Well district of the Murray Mallee region of South Australia, not far from the border with Victoria. It was the original terminus of the Barmera railway line from May 7th, 1913 until the line was extended to Paringa later the same year. It is about 250 kms east of Adelaide, 70 kms north of Pinnaroo, 43 kms north of Peebinga & 45 km southeast of Loxton.

The town was surveyed in July 1914 and named for a Biblical place where Moses struck the rocks causing water to gush forth.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Eurelia, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked on closing day of post office - 13th August 1982.
Image
PPA tells us Eurelia Post Office opened on 26th February 1879 & closed on 13th August 1982.

Eurelia is a town in South Australia located on the east side of the Flinders Ranges about 264 kms north of the state capital of Adelaide & about 20 kms from the municipal seat of Orroroo with a population of 14.

Eurelia's name comes from the local Jadliaura language and translates to "place of the ear". It is thought that local Dreamtime stories associated with the Ranges locates Eurelia as an "ear" of a prostrate man. The pronunciation of the town's name gives rise to some long standing jokes. One joke has two railway porters at each end of the platform and as each train pulls in one would call out "You're a liar! You're a liar", and the other would reply "You really are! You really are!". (I.e. the town's name sounds like either "you're a liar" or "you really are", depending on which syllable the stress falls). The "correct" pronunciation is "you really are". :lol:

Eurelia was on the Peterborough–Quorn railway line, built in 1881, and ceased regular use by the 1980s. It then became the northern terminus of operations of the Steamtown Peterborough Railway Preservation Society running trains from Peterborough between 1981 and 2002.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

This Frankston Post Office opened in Playne Street Frankston on 15th May 1978:
Image
Image
Image
PPA tells us:
Frankston - PO 1/9/1857; renamed Frankston Business Centre BC 29/5/1995.
Frankston Business Centre - Renamed from Frankston BC 29/5/1995; renamed Frankston PO 1/7/2000.
Frankston - Renamed from Frankston Business Centre PO 1/7/2000; closed 16/9/2011.

For many years I had had a Philatelic Standing order at the Frankston Post Office in Playne Street. In June 1995 the Playne Street Post Office closed & moved the Philatelic Counter to the new Post Office in the Quayside Shopping Plaza near Beach Street Frankston.

Frankston is a suburb of Melbourne in Victoria, located 41 km south-east of the Melbourne city centre, north of the Mornington Peninsula. Due to its geographic location, it is often referred to as "the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula".

The official village of Frankston was established in 1854, with its first land sales taking place on 29 May.

There are 4 theories about the naming of Frankston:

1. Named after one of its early European settlers, Frank Liardet, who also became one of its first official land owners. Considering his connections to the early mail services of Melbourne, it is plausible that "Frank's Town" became nomenclature for describing the area and its unofficial village

2. Another theory is that Frankston was named after the Irish-born settler Charles Franks who was the first European to be killed by Indigenous Australians in Melbourne.

3. Another theory is that Frankston was named after a pub named "Frank Stone's Hotel".

4. A more recent theory, put forward by the author and historian Michael Jones in his local history book Frankston: Resort to City (published in 1989), is that Frankston was named after the heroic British army general Sir Thomas Harte Franks. The theory is strengthened by the fact that a number of places near Frankston also have names that are derived or adapted from those of British army generals and statesmen (such as Cranbourne, Hastings, Lyndhurst, Mornington and Pakenham). Jones states that the Surveyor General of Victoria from 1853 to 1858, Sir Andrew Clarke, named all of these places. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Quayside (Frankston):
Image
Centenary of Cinema - Gummed strip of 5 on Wesley Cover Service fdc.
Image
Centenary of Cinema - Self-Adhesive Peel & Stick on Wesley Cover Service fdc.
The Centenary of Cinema 1995 - 8th June 1995 was the first day of usage of the first day of issue postmark.

PPA tells us that Quayside PO opened 29/5/1991 & was replaced by Frankston Town Centre PO 1/10/1998.

Frankston Town Centre

Australia, Planet Ocean, Bottlenose Dolphin 45c gummed stamp issued 1st October 1998 - SG #1704:
Image
Havilah Enterprises unbranded Alpha fdc for the Bottlenose Dolphin
Image
Cancelled with the Frankston Town Centre pictorial Dolphin postmark also first used on 1st October 1998.
PPA tells us that Frankston Town Centre replaced Quayside PO on 1/10/1998 & Oz Pictormarks tells us that Frankston Town Centre was renamed on 3rd June 2002.
Image
Last Day Frankston Town Centre - 2nd June 2002.
Image

Bayside Frankston
Image
Unknown souvenir cover for new postmark - APM #34810.
Image
PPA confirms Bayside (Frankston) opened on 3rd June 2002. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Galga, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked on closing day of post office - 30th November 1983.
Image
PPA tells Galga opened as Receiving Office on 29 September 1915, became a Post Office circa 1920 & closed on 30th November 1983.

Galga is a settlement in the northern Murray Mallee region of South Australia with a population of 17. It is 127 kms east of Adelaide, 44 kms north of Karoonda & 62 kms south west of Loxton.

The town of Galga was surveyed in 1915 after the Waikerie railway line from Karoonda to Waikerie was opened in 1914. The line was shortened to Galga in 1990, & closed completely in 1994.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Old Noarlunga, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked Old Noarlunga - 24th May 1979.
Image
PPA does not list Old Noarlunga, only recording Noarlunga as opening on 21/10/1841.

Many thanks to Stampboarder Bunge has kindly provided me with this information from "The Hand-held Postmarks of South Australia and the Northern Territory":

NOARLUNGA
Opened 21/10/1841 as NOORLUNGA
Closed 7/10/1846
Re-opened 23/6/1847
To OLD NOARLUNGA 1/3/1979

OLD NOARLUNGA
From NOARLUNGA 1/3/1979
Closed 31/5/1996 (CMA)

Old Noarlunga (formerly Noarlunga) is a suburb in the Australian state of South Australia located about 30 kilometres south of Adelaide. Originally settled around 1840, the town retains its village atmosphere in spite of encroaching suburbia with a population of about 1500.

It should not be confused with the Noarlunga Centre which is a neighbouring suburb. This suburb is mostly commercial, being dominated by the Centro Colonnades shopping centre and the small 'Inspire Noarlunga' estate to the east of Goldsmith Road, which may explain the small population of 203 here.

The name Noarlunga is an English adaptation of the native Kaurna word Nurlongga (also spelt as Nglungga), meaning 'at the curvature', referring to the horseshoe bend near the mouth of the Onkaparinga River.

Sharing the name Noarlunga are the two adjacent seaside suburbs Port Noarlunga and Port Noarlunga South.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
GYDAM
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
Posts: 2101
Joined: 27 Nov 2010 14:16
Location: Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by GYDAM »

Image

Further to the post by taralgon3844 on this thread at page 11 on 12 Dec 2014, here's a little bit of history from today's "Herald Sun" newspaper.

Also, according to The Pom's listing of Post Office names in another thread, there was also a Patho West and Patho South!

Cheers, Gordon

User avatar
Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 28745
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 11:07
Location: Golden Beach, Qld, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Image
The Google car last visited in 2008. The post office closed in 1991. Located on Patho School Road.
PPA has for sale three postmarks, one cover and an image from the 1970's.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Nobby, Queensland:
Image
Olympics set of stamps sent from Nobby to Norfolk, England
Image
Postmarked 13th November 1956.
Image
Nobby is a rural town on the Darling Downs in the Toowoomba Region, Queensland with a population of 484. It is located halfway between Toowoomba & Warwick about 40 kms south of Toowoomba & 185 kms south west of Brisbane.

The origin of the name Nobby is unknown. When the Western railway line from Toowoomba to Warwick was being constructed, a worker's camp known as McDonald's Camp was established in the area in 1868 and this gave its name to the general area. However, the railway siding created was known as Nobby's Siding and the area become known as Nobby. However, the township that was surveyed alongside the railway in 1891 was named Davenport after George Davenport, a former local Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for Drayton and Toowoomba whose pastoral run was at nearby Headington Hill. However, the Railway Department refused to rename the railway station, which created confusion having the railway station and the town with different names, leading to many people continuing to refer to the town as Nobby. Eventually the town's name was officially changed back to Nobby in 1931.

Nobby's Siding Post Office opened by March 1894 (a receiving office had been open from 1885), was renamed Nobby's by 1902 and Nobby by 1908 (per PPA).
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Mitcham West, South Australia:
Image
Wesley Cover Service fdc for Centenary of Queensland - 5th June 1959.
Image
PPA tells us Mitcham West Post Office on 12th October 1949 & was renamed Lower Mitcham on 19th June 1967 & closed on 30th September 1975.

No information on Mitcham West & not much more on the affluent suburb of Mitcham which is 9 kms south of the Adelaide CBD with a population of about 1800. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 2436
Joined: 16 Jan 2018 11:03
Location: Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by MJ's pet »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
Image
The Google car last visited in 2008. The post office closed in 1991. Located on Patho School Road.
Amazing that this little shed was still there in 2008. PO 19/5/1892; closed 28/6/1991.

Note the mailbox can near the door in both photographs!
Image
Patho Post Office, Victoria, taken 1973

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Iron Baron, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked 30th June 1983.
Image
PPA tells us that Iron Baron Post Office opened on 2nd January 1957 & closed on 30th June 1983.

Iron Baron was a settlement associated with the Iron Baron iron ore mine on Eyre Peninsula 413 kilometres north-west of Adelaide.

The settlement was situated about 200 metres from the eastern boundary of the mine. BHP owned and serviced the settlement, having built it about 1938. There were several dozen houses, a one-teacher primary school, a general store, oval, swimming pool, netball courts, picnic areas and licensed community club.

Before the mine’s re-opening in 2011, BHP bulldozed all the settlement's surface infrastructure, including buildings, into a pit at the mine. Employees now commute from Whyalla or elsewhere.

The Iron Baron mine is one of several large ore bodies in the Middleback Range, with a production capacity of about two million tonnes of haematite a year. Built by BHP in 1933, it went out of operation between 1947 and 1958; it was re-opened in 2011.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Buckleboo, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked 29th April 1983 on last day of Post Office.
Image
PPA tells us Buckleboo Post Office opened on 21st December 1927 & closed on 29th April 1983.

Buckleboo is a locality in South Australia on the Eyre Peninsula located about 313 kilometres northwest of Adelaide & about 31 kilometres northwest of Kimba with a population of 48.

Buckleboo began as a government town, surveyed in November 1924 and proclaimed on 17 December 1925 by Tom Bridges, the Governor of South Australia. It was named after the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Buckleboo. The Hundred of Buckleboo was proclaimed on 1 June 1922. It covers an area of 483 square kilometres & is named after the “native name of an adjacent pastoral run.”

Until 2005, Buckleboo was the railhead for one branch of the Eyre Peninsula Railway, a narrow gauge railway which principally hauled grain via Kimba & Cummins to Port Lincoln for export. The silos at the former railway station and the few remaining buildings are surrounded by the Buckleboo Conservation Reserve, proclaimed in 1990.
Image
Former grain silos on Buckleboo Railway.
:)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Penwortham, South Australia:
Image
Postmarked 31st October 1983 - last day of Post Office.
Image
PPA tells us that there have been 3 Penwortham Post Offices.

The first one, opening date unknown, was renamed Watervale on 16th August 1949. The second one, again opening date unknown, closed on 31st January 1852. Either one of the could have been the unofficial post office which began operation in 1847, with the local publican, James Bleechmore, acting as postmaster.

The third one is the one I show which opened on 1st January 1856 & closed on 31st October 1983.

Penwortham is a small town in the Clare Valley, South Australia, along the Horrocks Highway, approximately 10 kilometres south of Clare, 14 kilometres north of Auburn & 124 kms north of Adelaide with a population of 147.

Penwortham is surrounded by natural eucalyptus bushland and a section of the Skilly Hills, which in turn forms part of the Mount Lofty Ranges. There are two significant peaks nearby, Mount Oakden named after John Oakden, and Mount Horrocks, named after John Horrocks. The Hill River rises about 3 kilometres east of Penwortham.

The village of Penwortham was founded by settler, pioneer and explorer, John Horrocks (22 March 1818 – 23 September 1846). Horrocks arrived in the colony of South Australia on his 21st birthday, 22 March 1839, less than three years after its proclamation by Governor John Hindmarsh. After meeting Edward John Eyre, who told him of potentially good farmland to the north of Adelaide, John Horrocks and a servant, John Green, set off to find the area Eyre had described to him. Horrocks settled in a region that he believed to be along the Hutt River and named his establishment Hope Farm. Later in 1839, the first stone cottage of the settlement was commenced and, in 1840, Horrocks and his servants built stone stables for horses, which were then very rare and valuable in the new colony. For a short time, this was the only inland European settlement north of Adelaide and Gawler.

Penwortham shares its name with the town of Penwortham in Lancashire, England. Penwortham (in the United Kingdom) was the home of Richard Arkwright, the inventor of the water frame that kick-started the textile industry in the late 18th century. John Horrocks is likely to have been a descendant of Arkwright. Penwortham is a town name with a precise meaning: a settlement on a hill by a ford. Horrocks originally called his settlement Penwortham-on-the-Hill. He was born at his family home of Penwortham Hall, near Preston, Lancashire. The name is a hybrid of the Welsh pen, meaning headland and an Old English word worphamm, meaning enclosed homestead.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

St.Arnaud North, Victoria:
Image
Arthur Bergen fdc for 1d Purple QEII Wilding design.
Image
Postmarked St.Arnaud North - 19th August 1953.
St. Arnaud North originally opened as a post office on 2nd March 1885 & closed on 1st July 1895. It re-opened as a post office on 15th December 1898 & closed on 30th April 1971. It was about 5 kms north west of St.Arnaud.

Not much on St.Arnaud North but St Arnaud is a town in the Wimmera region of Victoria, 244 kilometres north west of the capital Melbourne, with a population of 2,619.

It is named after French marshal Jacques Leroy de Saint Arnaud, commander-in-chief of the army of the East. It is one of quite a number of towns, streets etc. named after people and places of the Crimean War.

St Arnaud is a former gold mining town, situated on the main route between Ballarat and Mildura. The town was settled in the mid-1850s with the St.Arnaud post office opening on 1 February 1856. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

National Philatelic Centre (NPC) was at 321 Exhibition Street, although the entrance was around the corner in Latrobe Street, Melbourne:
Image
Emu Frama postmarked at NPC on 6th February 1992
Image
Emu Frama postmarked at NPC on 13th February 1992 in green being opening day of the NPC.
PPA tells us the National Philatelic Centre opened on 6th February 1992 & was replaced by 111 Bourke Street Post Office 24th December 2009.

Colleen Woolley, Oz Pictormarks is unable to explain the earlier date of 6th February, when Mr Maurice Williams, Chairman of Directors of Australia Post, officially opened the NPC on the 13th February. :shock:
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

St.Kilda Junction, Victoria:
Image
Wide World fdc for KGVI 3d green - dated 14th November 1951
Image
PPA tells us the St. Kilda Junction Post Office opened on 1st September 1936 & closed on 30th November 1993.

St Kilda Junction is a major intersection in Melbourne. It is in the suburb of St Kilda, bordering Windsor and St Kilda East, and is the meeting point of the major roads Punt Road, St Kilda Road, Dandenong Road/Queens Way/Princes Highway and Fitzroy Street.

Up until 1966, St Kilda Junction, along with the Haymarket roundabout on Royal Parade, was one of two giant roundabouts with trams running through the middle.

Before 1966, St Kilda Junction was the intersection of eight streets. They were, listed clockwise and starting from the north (with the route numbers of the time shown):
Punt Road (State Route 29)
Nelson Street
Wellington Street (National Route 1), with trams
High Street (State Route 3), with trams
Barkly Street (State Route 29)
Fitzroy Street, with trams
Queens Road
St Kilda Road (National Route 1 / State Route 3), with trams.

The intersection took the form of a large oval roundabout with another road link in the middle between the close edges. The trams from St Kilda Road traversed most of the intersection before splitting into three paths. Things were made all the more difficult by the fact that Queens Road joined the intersection at the point where the left service road of St Kilda Road left it.

In the late 1960s, the Bolte Government proposed plans for a major overhaul of the intersection, which ultimately led to its existing form.

Queens Road was rerouted slightly so it would enter the roundabout in the middle of its long side. It was then lowered, so that it passed under the intersection, to join a new street, Queens Way, which led into Dandenong Road (as Wellington Street had done before it.) Wellington Street's tram service was also re-directed along Queens Way. National Route 1 (or Alternate National Route 1, as it became when the Monash Freeway was built) was rerouted down Queens Road-Queens Way-Dandenong Road because it was much easier for traffic to pass the junction that way than from St Kilda Road. High Street was widened and became the southern part of St Kilda Road.
Image
St Kilda Junction looking south before widening, with High Street (now St Kilda Road) to the left and Barkly Street to the right
St Kilda Junction is also the location of one of Melbourne's well-loved suburban football/cricket ovals, the St Kilda Cricket Ground, which is generally known as the Junction Oval. Some of the parkland surrounding the Junction Oval was lost to the Queens Road realignment, but the original oval and the historic Aboriginal Corroboree tree remained intact.

In 2014, a move was made to return the St Kilda Football Club operations and training to Junction Oval with Cricket Victoria and Government assistance.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

St.Kilda Rail, Victoria:
Image
Image
Image
PPA tells us St. Kilda Railway.Station was renamed from St. Kilda West Post Office on 1st October 1886 & replaced by St. Kilda West Post Office 24th October 1970. St.Kilda West Post Office had commenced in March 1879. The examples of the postmark I have seen have always been shown as St.Kilda Rail.

St Kilda railway station is a former railway station and current tram stop, located in the Melbourne suburb of St Kilda, & was the terminus of the St Kilda railway line of the Melbourne suburban rail system. It is the oldest surviving railway station building in Victoria which is currently used as retail premises & the platform serves as stop 132 on tram route 96. The Post Office is currently diagonally opposite in Fitzroy Street where up till 1972 it had been at the station itself.

After the St Kilda line was electrified in 1919, St Kilda became the second busiest station in Victoria, after Flinders Street in the 1920s.

In the 1980s, the state government looked at the possibility of closing several lines, or converting them to light rail services, which were perceived to be cheaper. After several inquiries, it was decided to close both the St Kilda and Port Melbourne lines, and convert them both to light rail. The last train service ran on 31 July 1987, with the light rail officially commissioned on 21 November 1987.
Image
St.Kilda Railway Station.
:)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

St.Kilda Town Hall, Victoria:
Image
Wesley Cover Service fdc postmarked with St.Kilda Town Hall
Olympics Fencing pictorial postmark 23rd November 1956.
Image
PPA tells us that St. Kilda Town Hall Post Office opened on 23rd November 1956 & closed on 6/12/1956, open during the duration of the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

St Kilda Town Hall is a grand, classically styled city hall, located on the corner of Brighton Road and Carlisle Street in St Kilda, Victoria, Australia. The first stage, never completed, was built as the municipal offices and public hall for the former City of St Kilda in 1890. Many additions, internal alterations, and changes in appearance were made in the early and mid 20th century, while serving as the municipal and social heart of St Kilda. A devastating fire in 1991 seriously affected the art collection and burnt out the hall itself, and was followed by a prize winning refurbishment and further extension. After Council amalgamations in 1994, it became the base for the larger City of Port Phillip.

For the 1956 Summer Olympics, the building hosted the fencing events.
Image
St.Kilda Town Hall.
:)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

St.Kilda Pier, Victoria:
Image
Arnold Wheeler & Co (AWCO) souvenir card with St.Kilda Pier Olympics Sailing pictorial postmark
Image
Postmarked 26th November 1956.

Image
Royal YMCA fdc with St.Kilda Pier Olympics Sailing pictorial postmark
Image
Postmarked 26th November 1956.
PPA tells us that St. Kilda Pier Post Office opened on 26th November 1956 & closed on 5th December 1956, open during the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

The St Kilda Pier in St Kilda, Victoria, is home to a colony of fairy penguins, the St Kilda Pavilion, as well as the Marina of the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron.

It was first built in 1853 as a small private timber jetty by the St Kilda Pier and Jetty company, but destroyed the same year, and rebuilt by 1855 as a public pier. It was extended many times, until it became a 1944 ft pier with stone groins. A shelter at the beach end, a breakwater and an L shaped extension sheltering the St Kilda Yacht Club by the 1880s. Moorings for the Port Phillip Bay excursion steamers were added in 1893, and the Pavilion was added in 1904. The pier became a favourite destination for promenading, fishing, excursions and small boat moorings for much of the 20th century, as St Kilda became Melbourne's entertainment district and most popular beach.

The breakwater had been built in timber, and in 1955 was replaced with a rubble stone one to form a harbour as the headquarters for sailing events during the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. In the 1970s, the timber pier was replaced with a concrete one, and the breakwater extended.

Fairy penguins breeding amongst the rocks of the breakwater were first documented in 1974, with 100 altogether identified by 1989. They now number about 1200, and public viewing is a popular attraction.
Image
St.Kilda Pier, Kiosk & Breakwater.
Image
:)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

St.Kilda, Victoria:
Image

Image

Image
PPA tells that St. Kilda first opened as Post Office on 1st April 1853 & closed on 1st July 1858. On that same day Windsor Post Office, which had opened on 1st February 1856, & was renamed St. Kilda Post Office, closing on 2nd February 2001.

St Kilda is an inner suburb of the metropolitan area of Melbourne, Victoria, 6 km south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District with a population of 20,230.

St Kilda was named by Charles La Trobe, then superintendent of the Port Phillip District, after a schooner, Lady of St Kilda, which moored at the main beach for much of 1841, and the ship's master and early settler Lieutenant James Ross Lawrence. The schooner Lady of St Kilda, was owned between 1834 and 1840 by Sir Thomas Acland.

During the Victorian era, St Kilda became a favoured suburb of Melbourne's elite, and many palatial mansions and grand terraces were constructed along its hills and waterfront. After the turn of the century, the St Kilda foreshore became Melbourne's favoured playground, with electric tram lines linking the suburbs to the seaside amusement rides, ballrooms, cinemas and cafes, and crowds flocked to St Kilda Beach. Many of the mansions and grand terraces became guest houses, and gardens were filled in with apartment buildings, making St Kilda the most densely populated suburb in Melbourne.
Image
St.Kilda Post Office.
St Kilda is home to many of Melbourne's visitor attractions including Luna Park, St Kilda Pier, the Esplanade Hotel, Acland Street and Fitzroy Street. It is home to St Kilda Beach, several theatres and many of Melbourne's big events and festivals.

St Kilda has very strong traditional links with Australian Football. The name St Kilda features in the national Australian Football League with the St Kilda Football Club, known as the Saints. The team retains the name of its former home but has not actually played home games in St Kilda since 1964. The St Kilda area played a large role in the development of Australian Football. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Strezleckie (1)

PO 1/7/1888; closed 1/1/1896.

10 km NE of Korumburra (2).

Nothing recorded at PPA for this opening.

Image

Menzies' Creek

PO 2/5/1887, provisionally closed 31/5/1980; closed 4/8/1980.

1½ km WNW of Emerald.

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Outtrim

PO 10/5/1894; closed 14/5/1957. [Black coal mine]

6 km SW of Korumburra (2).

Image

Hochkirch (2)

PO 21/1/1864; renamed Tarrington PO 1/3/1918.

7 km SE of Hamilton.

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Elizabeth Street

Renamed from Melbourne PO 4/6/1917; renamed Melbourne PO 1/1/1964.

At the corner of Bourke and Elizabeth Streets.

The name changes were required when the GPO was transferred to, and then back from, Spencer Street.

Rated RRRRR General Delivery Branch 1 (WWW 210)

Image

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Orroroo, South Australia:
Image
Orroroo - 9th March 1983.
Image
PPA tells us that Orroroo started out as Pekina which opened circa 1870 & was renamed Orroroo Post Office in 1st June 1876.

Orroroo is a town in the Yorke & Mid North region of South Australia, about 270 kms north of Adelaide, 120 kms north east of Port Pirie & 100 kms north west of Port Augusta. It has a population of 537.

The Wilmington-Ucolta Road passes through here, intersecting with the RM Williams Way which leads to the Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks. The Peterborough–Quorn railway line extended from Peterborough to Orroroo also in 1881 and Quorn in 1882, connecting with the new Central Australia Railway from Port Augusta. These railways have now been abandoned. Orroroo is situated near Goyder's Line, a line drawn up in 1865 by Surveyor General Goyder which he believed indicated the edge of the area suitable for agriculture.

The name Orroroo was thought to be an form of onomatopoeia in imitation of wind blowing through acacia trees. According to J. Gray, it actually meant 'early start', referring to the fact that the Ngadjuri, who usually camped at Pekina Creek, would move to camp at the Orroroo river the night before hunting for kangaroos, which would come up to the river at that point and thus allow them to make an early start at dawn for the hunt. Aboriginal origins, but the true meaning of the word is uncertain.
Image
Orroroo Post Office circa 2017.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 2436
Joined: 16 Jan 2018 11:03
Location: Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by MJ's pet »

Image
Orroroo - 9th March 1983.
On a different thread ("Is this cover Philatelic?" IIRC) I wrote that lots of country Post Offices had stamp vending machines to provide stamps after hours - back when Australia used to close at 5pm. "Some people" wrote that they were metro only hence use of coil stamps in the country was evidence of philatelic use. Boom. Wrong.

Thanks for posting this. :idea:

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Trinity Gardens, South Australia:
Image
Wide World cachet fdc postmarked 21st April 1953.
Image
PPA tells us this post office opened as North Norwood (not to be confused with Norwood North shown earlier on this page) circa 1886. It was renamed Trinity Gardens Post Office on 1st May 1950 & then renamed St. Morris Post Office on 1st October 1963 & closed on the 18th March 1988. This also should not be confused with a second Trinity Gardens Post Office that opened circa 1963 (perhaps on 1st October, 1963 :idea: ).

Trinity Gardens is a suburb 5kms north east of Adelaide with a population of 1,234. The name is taken from Holy Trinity Church.

On 28 March 1840 the trustees of Holy Trinity; Osmond Gilles, Charles Mann & James Hurtle Fisher, were given approximately 40 acres of land in the area, as Glebe lands (i.e. an area of land within an ecclesiastical parish used to support a parish priest) by Pascoe St Leger Grenfell. The land came to be known as Trinity Glebe.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Tahara

PO 14/1/1871; closed 15/2/1965.

15 km S of Coleraine.

Image

Bolwarrah

Renamed from Bolwarra PO c.1902; closed 30/10/1971.

2½ km N of Wallace.

Rated RRRR.

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Kialla West

PO 22/2/1875; closed 14/7/1951.

5 km SW of Kialla (2). Near Shepparton.

Framed Recorded 05 to 07 only.

Image

Clyde R.S..

PO 1/8/1889; renamed Clyde PO 9/2/1915.

3 km S of Clyde (1).

ERD by 5 years. Rated R.

Image

Swan Pool

PO 10/5/1877; closed 31/10/1994.

21 km S of Benalla.

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Picked up tonight for $30 posted.

Buangor (1)

PO 25/5/1863; LPO 22/11/1993; closed 30/6/1994.

22 km SE of Ararat.

PPA have 1 other of this type recorded.

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Coimadai Creek

PO 18/6/1867; renamed Coimadai PO 18/3/1925.

12 km NW of Melton.

Rated RRR.

Image

The post office was later located at the Coimadai School.

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Mail Exchange Branch

Melbourne.

Rated RRR.

Image

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 10737
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 15:30
Location: Traralgon, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by traralgon3844 »

Mount Waverley South

PO 4/3/1968; closed 10/1/1973.

1 km S of Mount Waverley.

Rated RR.

Image

Image
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Some more from South Australia - Minlaton:
Image
Uncacheted fdc - Royal Life Saving Society - 6th July 1966.
Image
PPA tells that Post Office opened as Gum Flat on 1/4/1876 & was renamed Minlaton circa March 1877 & became an LPO on 6th July 1998 (32 years to the day of the postmark I show above, spooky). :)

Minlaton is a town in central Yorke Peninsula, 198 kms west of Adelaide, 96 kms south of Kadina & 46 kms south of Maitland, with a population of 800. It is known as the "Barley capital of the world", due to the rich Barley production in the region.

Minlaton was the hometown of Harry Butler, a World War I flying ace. His Bristol M1C monoplane has been restored and is preserved in pride of place in a building the centre of the town. When he flew an air mail run from Adelaide across Gulf St Vincent to Minlaton in 1919, it was the first over-water flight in the Southern Hemisphere. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Unley Park, South Australia:
Image
The first decimal illustrated issue specific fdc - Expo 70 - 16th March 1970.
Image
PPA tells us Unley Park Post Office opened on 2nd January 1946, became an LPO circa March 1993 & closed on 28th May 1999.

Unley Park is a southern suburb of Adelaide about 5 kms from the CBD with a population of 1445. It is located on the north side of Cross Road and east of the Belair railway line. A feature of the district is leafy Victoria Avenue, Adelaide's wealthiest street, containing many large and luxurious houses built between the two World Wars. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Crafers, South Australia:
Image
Uncacheted fdc for National Stamp Week - 27th September 1982.
Image
PPA tells us that Crafer's Post Office opened on 17th July 1851 & renamed Crafers (without the apostrophe) on 3rd September 1925.

The town of Crafers is in the Adelaide Hills to the south-east of Adelaide with a population of 1934. Although technically considered to be an outer suburb of Adelaide, with many residents commuting to the city (which is 19.2 km away) to work, some think it is part of nearby Sterling.

Crafers was named after David Crafer, who arrived in Adelaide in 1838 and moved to the area. With his wife he established an inn, the Sawyers Arms, in 1839 three years after the colony of South Australia was created. He then built the Norfolk Arms on 16 acres in 1840 with banquet seating for 150. He moved to Adelaide and sold the Norfolk Arms in 1842, at which point it was known as The Crafers Inn.

For many years Crafers was well known for being the start point of the South Eastern Freeway linking Adelaide with the town of Murray Bridge, and to the Princes Highway leading to Melbourne. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Brooklyn Park, South Australia:
Image
Image
Image

Priority Paid letter from Brooklyn Park to Wodonga, Victoria, 3rd January 1979, with 50c Phar Lap affixed.
PPA tells us that Brooklyn Park Post Office originally opened as Lockleys Post Office on 1st September 1904. It was renamed Brooklyn Park Post Office on 19th June 1967. Lockleys & Brooklyn Park are neighbouring suburbs in Adelaide so perhaps the boundary or the post office moved necessitating the name change. It has since become an LPO.

Brooklyn Park is a western suburb of Adelaide about 6 kms west of the CBD with a population of almost 5000. It is immediately northeast of Adelaide Airport & is bounded on the north by Henley Beach Road, on the east by Marion Road and on the west by May Terrace.

Brooklyn Park held from 1925 the 6 acres site of the transmitting station for radio 5CL, which became an ABC station in 1929, then was joined by facilities for the second ABC station, 5AN ten years later. In 1961, with the commissioning of the new Pimpala transmitters, the facility was closed down & demolished. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
Ubobo.R.O.
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 28745
Joined: 28 Dec 2017 11:07
Location: Golden Beach, Qld, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

A very nice straight line hand stamp there Brad.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Yes Terry, I can't recall seeing something like that before.
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Bowenvale, Victoria:
Image
Image
Image
PPA tells us that Bowenvale Post Office opened as Timor Post Office on 10th July 1865 & changed it name to Bowenvale on 21st January 1884 & closed on 23rd December 1981.

Timor and Bowenvale are about 8 km north-west of Maryborough and 140 km north-west of Melbourne.

Timor is the earlier of the two, beginning as Coxtown when gold was found there in 1856. (Cox was a butcher and hotel keeper). Coxtown was apparently renamed after Timor Creek.

In the early 1860s a Ballarat mining company successfully mined a deeper lead, moving in the direction of Bowenvale, then known as Chinaman’s Flat. In the 1870s Chinaman’s Flat was named Bowenvale, after Sir George Bowen, Governor of Victoria (1873-79).

There were post offices at Timor (1865) and Chinaman’s Flat (1861-95). In 1884 the Timor post office was renamed Bowenvale, and kept that named until closed in 1981.

The Bowenvale-Timor area met at the junction of the rich Chinaman’s Flat and Alma-Timor gold leads. The most prominent gold relic is the Duke and Timor Gold Mining Company’s mine house (1869-96), the most successful deep lead mine which produced a quarter of the gold taken from the Maryborough district.

The population of the area now is around 100. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
Kainnikanada
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 7843
Joined: 11 Feb 2010 03:26
Location: Canada

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by Kainnikanada »

Bective Settlement New South Wales Post Office - 15JL40
Image
Image
While browsing Ebay for original NSW date-stamp strikes for my cut-down relief research I was intrigued by this postmark shown above.

An on-line search took me to this Cambridge University Press book review that included a 1919 survey map of the parcels of land offered to the returned soldiers.
Image
Image
Searching "Trove" on-line records didn't reveal much information. This terse newspaper article was quoted in the Cambridge book.
Image
The book excerpt follows:
Image
From a National Archives of Australia (NAA) on-line search the post office records for "Bective" post office included a 1910 petition to have the Bective post office, 3.5 miles from Winton moved a further 3.5 miles north to a property near Bective station on the Somerton-Tamworth mail route as seen below. Another sketch included the routing for mail between Tamworth and Gunnedah.
Image

Image
This area was on a well-served mail route.

Information from Hopson & Tobin show something different by 1920s when the Bective Settlement post office had opened and closed twice. Sumerton was still open but Winton had closed and Bective had reopened and closed on a couple of occasions.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Quite a fluid situation.

The 1919 survey map has a post office location that I've highlighted below. I believe that is a poorly located Winton PO based on the NSW Government SIX Map I show below where the approximated settlement boundaries were plotted. On the survey parcel map I have highlighted Bective, Somerton and Winton. Somewhere in the centre of the surveyed area was the Bective Settlement post office.
ImageImage
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Good work Kannickanada. A place with a good bit of history.

The Post Office is not listed in PPA.

Brad :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Prospect, South Australia:
Image
Presumably the rubber stamp cachet belongs to the addressee C W Spooner of Mile End.
Image
PPA tells us that Prospect Post Office started out as Nailsworth opening on 2nd March 1861. It was renamed Prospect circa December 1874 & became an LPO on 10th November 1997.

Prospect is an inner northern suburb of Adelaide located 5 km north of Adelaide's CBD.

The early Prospect Village was a private subdivision of sections 373 and 349 of the Hundred of Yatala, which intersected at the village centre (now St Helens Park and St Cuthbert's Anglican Church).

To the new settlers, the undeveloped locality presented a "beautiful prospect", being described as "well timbered, with waving gum and shady trees". Thus the early township was dubbed Prospect Village by Colonel William Light shortly after the colonisation of South Australia in 1838. The City of Prospect was established in 1872, formalising the name for local government and, in 1944, the city council voted to formally adopt the same name for the suburb which was the council seat itself.

The first Prospect Post Office opened around 1861 and closed around 1872. A Nailsworth office (open from 1861) was renamed Prospect in 1874 and has remained open since then. It was located at First avenue, Nailsworth, with two tall palm trees planted in front of the post office to enhance visibility from a distance.

:)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
Kainnikanada
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 7843
Joined: 11 Feb 2010 03:26
Location: Canada

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by Kainnikanada »

Brad,

I will be contacting PPA regarding Bective Settlement. Note also that Hopson & Tobin weren't clear on the type of date-stamp used at the post office.
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Wattle Flat, South Australia:
Image
Arthur Bergen fdc for ANARE issue of 17th November 1954.
Image
PPA tells us the Wattle Flat Post Office opened on 17th January 1889 & closed on 30th June 1956.

Wattle Flat is a locality in South Australia located on the Fleurieu Peninsula, about 60 kms south of Adelaide, with a population of 164.

Myponga Beach, Myponga, Carrickalinga, Yankalilla & Inman Valley are some nearby places. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Drummond, Victoria:
Image
Image
Image
Drummond is a locality in central Victoria, 106 kilometres north west of Melbourne situated between Glenlyon to the south and Malmsbury to the north with a population of 283.

PPA tells us the Drummond Post Office opened on 1st February 1862 & closed on 31st December 1974. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

User avatar
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
Posts: 60523
Joined: 16 Nov 2012 11:26
Location: Cheltenham, Australia

Re: Postmarks of Closed, or Changed Name Australian Post Off

Post by BigSaint »

Beaumaris South, Victoria:
Image
Image
Image
Image

A pair of Bill Hornadge, Cook Cinderellas, illegally used from Beaumaris South to Yarraville.
PPA tells us that there were a few Beaumaris Post Offices happening at times. This one relates to Beaumaris number 3.

It started out life as Beamauris (Lehrke's) a TO that started circa 1914 & was renamed Beaumaris TO circa 1920. It became a Beaumaris (3) Post Office circa 1925 & was renamed Beaumaris South PO on 28th August 1957. It closed on 26th February 1988.

Beaumaris/Beaumaris South is an affluent bayside suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district.

One of the first white settlers was James Bickford Moysey in 1845, who along with several other local settlers had Welsh roots, and he gave the name 'Beaumaris' to his pastoral run after the Welsh Town of Beaumaris on the Isle of Anglesey in the Menai Strait, called 'beaux marais' by Norman-French builders of the castle there, a name which translates as "beautiful marshes.

Current day Beaumaris covers two early estates in the parish of Moorabbin developed by Josiah Holloway from 1852. Named Beaumaris Town and Beaumaris Estate after the Moysey holding, the lots comprising them were marketed by Mr Holloway's suggesting that the railway was imminent and a canal would be built.[

A Beaumaris Post Office was opened on 1 March 1868, but was renamed Gipsy Village (now Sandringham) office at the end of that month. The township developed slowly, with Beaumaris Hotel, the first shop and civic hall being built in the 1880s. Beaumaris Post Office did not reopen until 1925. In 1957 this was renamed Beaumaris South when a new Beaumaris office opened in the current location. In 1954 Cromer Post Office opened to the north of the suburb.

The 'Great Southern' hotel was built in 1889 as a seaside resort, then in the 1920s was renamed the Beaumaris Hotel. The original structure survived in the Beaumaris bushfires of 1944, only to be extensively rebuilt and extended in 1950 as 'The Beaumaris'. In 2014 the hotel was converted into 58 apartments. :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.

Post Reply

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kuikka and 33 guests