Share your Worldwide Squared Circle stamp postmarks

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

jeremy29
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Worldwide squared circle postmarks

Post by jeremy29 »

In Queensland the squared circle postmark was only used in Brisbane, where it was introduced in 1883 and continued until at least 1892.

It was used for both departures and arrivals and the codes were always letters. Letters recorded so far (as per Campbell, Queensland Postal History 1990) are A, C, D, F, H (wide and narrow), K, L, P, T and U.

The datestamp has the code letter, 2 line date, "Brisbane" at the top and "QL" at the base. Some of the codes are more rare than others, and none appear to be particularly common.

There was a Stampboard topic qbout this a while back here: https://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15073

Jeremy

honza
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by honza »

Frank_King wrote:
honza wrote:Ahoj everyone!

I came across these three partial strikes of squared circle cancellations from the Netherlands Indies.

Is there enough there for them to be identified?
The first one is PATI. The other two are probably SOERABAJA and TJILATJAP.

I don't see anything in my catalogue about the "A" missing the cross bar.
Ahoj Frank!

Thank you for your quick response.

Honza

italianstamps
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by italianstamps »

I am aware, Jeremy,thanks and I hope you don't mind that I have used your description because any other information available is scarce and inaccurate.The Fernau publication does not even mention them and the couple of items I have are not enough to be able to add any serious information to this subject.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

italianstamps wrote:I am aware, Jeremy,thanks and I hope you don't mind that I have used your description because any other information available is scarce and inaccurate.The Fernau publication does not even mention them and the couple of items I have are not enough to be able to add any serious information to this subject.
You are most welcome. I still come across copies every so often but mostly with the code letter a

Jeremy

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

In the last few months I have acquired a code F a code L and one where the letter is very faint ,there are two partial vertical lines, that's all

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

Here is one I had not seen before and I actually found it in a bag of my duplicates Zii, Cyprus squared circle.

Has anybody got any more details on this?

Thanks

Lundy :D

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

there is one for sale on ebay and one was just sold.It could be the town of zigi, but in any case,it was not in my list

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks Italian stamps, I had not checked international on eBay

One lot mentions Zyii as the town, so there are a few of these around.

I would think this is pretty late use for a squared circle

moloch
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by moloch »

Latish for Zii. According to a Cyprus Study Circle paper by Richard Everett, the latest known date in 1999 was June 9, 1943 (the latest for Cyprus). Every town other than Morphou (1901) lasted to at least the 1910s, and most to at least the 1920s. Since the first usage was in the 1880s for most, this means 40-50 years usage for many towns.

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Great information Moloch,

Thanks for adding that

moloch

Post by moloch »

Cyprus LRDs and ERDs. Laranca, Limassol, Nicosia had time codes other than A. The rest only time mark A (these are surprisingly hard to find these given the length of usage, and good luck finding them on card, let alone cover). From Everett (1999), so I expect that these dates are not exact.

Laranca - Code A - 1882 - 1924
Code B - 1882 - 1922
Code C - 1882 - 1924
Code D - 1883 - 1921
Limassol - Code A - 1882 - 1930
Code B - 1882 - 1920
Code C - 1883 - 1923
Code D - 1892 - 1915
Nicosia - Code A - 1882 - 1912
Code B - 1882 - 1914
Code C - 1883 - 1914
Kythrea - 1884 - 1935
Lapithos - 1882 - 1931
Lefka - 1899 - 1926
Lefkara - 1884 - 1934
Lefkoniko - 1883 - 1927
Morphou - 1885 - 1901
Rizokarpaso - 1891 - 1926
Tricomo - 1882 - 1935
Vatili - 1882 - 1937
Zii - 1892 - 1943

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Thanks again Moloch,

Another really useful reference

arnonl

Post by arnonl »

Some Italian examples, and one British pm (on an Italian postal card) from left to right:

Bury st Edmunds
Milano
Livorno
Capri
Ferrara
Treviso
Modena
Napoli
Rimini
Firenze
Arno

jose78
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by jose78 »

Can anyone recommend a good book on CDS and other cancel pricing? Just finished another book on pre-cancels. I like the rarity rating for the Squared circle cancels. Anymore info on that would be great. The prices I see for a nice CDS are equal to that of a mint F stamp when the used is valued in Scotts for $5 and the mint is about $60+. Its a buyers delight for me. Have been paying 30% of Scotts on ton's of nice one. Trying to get all the postmarks for a couple provinces done. Small queens right now then on to Jubilee's. Just today I had another person say why do would anyone keep there used stamps they are worthless. Ok I will have them, I say 10% of Scotts, ya..As someone who sells stamps this is quite common. I just signed up for helping Oxfam with fundraising. Have 2 used albums going to auction next month 90% CDS cancels for Falklands from 1935-1980 and Ceylon 80% CDS 1935-1980. Should be interesting since the previous owner only collected for 50+ years and only nice cancels on XF-VF centred stamps.

joe

moloch

Post by moloch »

Time to post a few items I picked up a while ago. Cape of Good Hope on Transavaal and OFS cards during Boer occupation of those towns during the Boer War. The Colesberg has no message on back, while the Burgherdorp is from Jan 15 1900 and has a brief message.

Frank_King

Post by Frank_King »

I found this in a lot of Indian states. It is not as clear as Moloch's above, but I haven't seen one before:

Sirmoor State - Rainka

moloch

Post by moloch »

There are 5 Sirmoor towns. Nahan, Paonta, Rainka, Rajgarh, and Sangrah. And a Sirmoor State C.P.O (Central Post Office?). When I look, it seems that used Sirmoor stamps are often cancelled by a squared circle, but I usually try to find square circles on cover and card. Apparently Sirmoor authorities would confiscate the stamps after usage, so this becomes rather difficult.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

Sirmoor covers are rarities. The last record I have of one selling was back in 2006 :D
de Selby lives, and will return

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

lots of very good information thanks to all of you

Bluegum
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Bluegum »

patg wrote:Not quite sure about the date. 88 98 89 ?? any other guesses?

Thanks,
patg
The cancellation on both these sets of Transvaal stamps are the Type 12b Squared Circle Canceller. The stamps seem to date 1893.

If you are not particularly collecting Transvaal, I will be interested to exchange them from you please.
Member of the Bellville Philatelic Society - Philatelic Federation of South Africa - Transvaal Study Circle. Looking for Transvaal postal history and early Australia stamps

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

A couple of squared circle postmarks from Netherlands Indies unfortunately they have small thins but still nice

Lasem

Bondowoso

moloch

Post by moloch »

Those are nice strikes Lundy.

I like dabbling in Dutch Indies, because of the number of islands making up the country, you can get a number of towns on a single cover. This one is probably my favourite of the ones I have.

This one went from Indramajoe (the worn strike cancelling the stamps) to Prague, via Cheribon and Batavia. The person couldn't be found, and it came back through the same 3 towns in the opposite direction. 2 months later, another stamp was affixed and back it went to Prague.

2 notes. The outgoing Cheribon (14/8/1907 & 15/1/1908) is a different hammer than the incoming (16/10/1907) (the 2nd bar of the H points at the corner on the outgoing, it well below the corner on the incoming). I believe the outgoing are the same hammer.
And, it looks like there are only 2 Batavia strikes, but above the 15/1/1908 Cheribon is the inverted 16/1/1908 lettering of a squared circle. There are also the letters VIA in what looks like a circular date cancel in the proper place and orientation to be combined with the date, but this would either mean some weird borrowing of the dater for another cancel or 2 weakly struck cancels from 2 hammers to achieve the goal of 1. If the VIA is part of a Batavia cancel.

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Wow, this is a fantastic cover!
Member of the Bellville Philatelic Society - Philatelic Federation of South Africa - Transvaal Study Circle. Looking for Transvaal postal history and early Australia stamps

Micky
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by Micky »

Hi all, curious more then anything. Are these square circle cancels of any interest? I don't have them but I could get them if they had any type of value, greedy me.

Bozzolo, Romano di Lombardia, Mergozzo, Gravellona Toce, Matelica, Lonigo and Udine Stazione Ferroviaria. All Italian places of course.

Micky

moloch

Post by moloch »

Micky. The highest rated of these is 3 on a 10 point rarity scale. When I get in the mood for looking at Italian squared circles (there usually many on ebay.it or Delcampe), I don't bother with anything under 5. There are about 7000 towns listed in Gaggero (a good % with multiple hammers) so it's pretty overwhelming, but you can find unlisted ones on occasion. Like India, it seems that most of the action is on the foreign offices.

moloch

Post by moloch »

Bluegum. Couldn't help notice your society affiliations. How active are these societies on the study of squared circle (or octagon) cancels of southern Africa? Seems the literature in general circulation is lacking or out of date. If you look back in this thread, we have problems scraping together lists of towns that used them.

Micky

Post by Micky »

Ok thanks Moloch, I really had no idea there was so many out there. To be difficult can I ask what is the rarest Square Circle cancel out there in the stamp world?

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Hi there Moloch. In terms of our society, there is not a lot of focus on this particular area. I can however request some information from our President, who has access to a lot of philatelic sources. I have a book on Transvaal Philately, which includes a section on cancellations. I will scan some information and post it on this thread as soon as I'm back in town next week.

moloch

Post by moloch »

Micky. Canada has a few lone known cancels, and is a country with active collectors for a long period.
From the Bennett Auction of Hennok material in 2005:
Revelstoke:

Fonthill:

There are 2 Kingsville, but they are on the same pair.

In my older version of the GB handbook by Cohen, he indicated there were a few singletons. The rest of the world I don't know. Maybe the South Australia gang could pipe in. I always hope my unlisted Italian are lone strikes!

Sark
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Sark »

I have posted this on another SB but it is just as appropriate here. Can anyone provide a little more information regarding its usage please? PRESS SORTER R.M.S. AP.18.84

Sark

Post by Sark »

The Niger Coast Protectorate is now part of Nigeria, but as a separate colony only existed from 12 May 1893 when the Oil Rivers Protectorate and part of the Niger Company Territories were amalgamated and extended into the interior. The Niger Coast Protectorate ceased to exist when in turn it was amalgamated to form Southern Nigeria on 1st Jan 1900.

The Niger Coast issued its own stamps from 1 Jan 1894 although the GB overprints continued in use for several years and all the infamous surcharge overprints on the GB issues were issued after the Niger Coast came into existence.

The use of Squared Circle postmarks in what is now modern day Nigeria is confined to the Niger Coast area and with the exception of one or two late uses ceased when Southern Nigeria was formed.

Initially six offices received Squared Circle pmks, which were issued from London on 15 Jan 1894, and this is the date of the strikes in the GPO proof books. A further Squ Circ was issued to the Post Office at Sapele, which is believed to have opened in March 1895.

Usually the pmks are struck in Black ink but violet ink was used and to a lesser extent Red ink. There are a very few examples of the OLD CALABAR Squared Circle known struck in blue.

Below is a list of the Post Offices using the Squared Circle pmk’s and the colours and code letters recorded.

TOWN - Known Codes - Colour

BENIN (now Koko) - A - Black

BONNY - A, B - Black

BRASS - A - Black
. - A, C - Violet

OLD CALABAR - A, B, C, D, E, F - Black
. - A, B, C, D - Violet
. - D - Blue

OPOBO - A, B - Black
. - C - Violet

WARRI - A, C - Black
. - A, B - Red

2nd Issue (E.R.D. 30 MR 95)

SAPELE - A, B, C, D, E, F - Black
. - A - Violet

For further information you should consult the excellent “The Postal Services of the British Nigeria Region” by Jack Ince and John Sacher. Mr E Proud’s The Postal History of Nigeria also has an impressive listing of all the postmarks of the area including the Squared Circles.

This is a photocopy from the GPO proof book illustrating the first Squared Circles sent to the Niger Coast. I don’t think the Sapele Squ Circ was proofed or at least I don’t have a copy of the appropriate page.

Couple of examples on Oil Rivers P.S.Cards.

moloch

Post by moloch »

Thanks for the excellent information Sark.

Is there any info on the period of usage at each town?

Sark

Post by Sark »

I will try and post the dates of usage etc for the Niger Coast shortly. In the meantime here is a scan of my favourite Niger Coast Square Circle, an OHMS env to Germany with 2.½d postage rate. The cancels are not too clear but the backstamp is great.

Sark

Post by Sark »

British East Africa, the country now known as Kenya, used Squared Circle postmarks in a little over half the Post Offices opened between 1890 and 1902. My main collecting interests cover the Imperial British East Africa Company period May 1890 to 1 July 1895 when a Protectorate was declared by the British Government after the Company experienced severe financial difficulties.

During this period the original offices at Mombasa and Lamu were joined by Malindi and Wasin.

Name Colour Code Letter E.R.D. L.R.D
ESCARPMENT (wf) black none 19.09.00 - 24.02.02
KIKUYU (wf) black B 19.07.99 - 22.08.99
KIKURGU (wf) black B 20.01.97 - 24.05.99
KILINDINI/
MOMBASA black none 20.05.97 - 19.12.99
KISMAYU black none 01.09.96 - 22.08.99
KIU black B 19.12.00 - 20.05.02
KIU black none 11.01.02 - 08.05.02
LAMU black A 08.11.91 - 20.10.99
MACHAKOS (wf) black B 01.01.97 - 16.03.97
MACHAKOS (wf) black A 22.05.97 - 20.03.01
MELINDI black none 09.07.92 - 18.07.92
MELINDI black A 19.06.93 - 06.11.99
MOMBASA black A 28.02.92 - 14.04.94
MOMBASA black A 07.07.95 - 27.11.99
MOMBASA black B 13.10.97 - 14.10.97
NDII (wf) black B 28.05.97 - 19.11.00
TAKAUNGU black none 03.10.95 - 15.12.96
TAKAUNGU black B 1897 - 29.11.98
TAKAUNGU black A 03.05.99 - 07.07.99
WASIN black none 07.10.92 - 18.08.94
WASIN black A 06.05.95 - 30.09.99
(wf) = with Fleurons

Anyone interested in BEA will find the second edition of the BEA handbook by John Minns (UK) and published by George Krieger (USA) invaluable. Certainly gets my vote!

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Here is my contribution of Transvaal squared circle postmarks. Unfortunately I do not have access to resources for the rest of South Africa.

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

Thanks to Sark and Bluegum we have received some important additional information.I am looking forward to any additional information that can be made available to all the members of this forum.thanks Matt

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

this is a late reply to Sark's query about the RMS sorter.I have a photocopy of a study of Indian squared circles which lists two press sorter.One ,Press Sorter RMS ,type Bc,which would appear to be the one of your picture,for which had been notated an early date of 10 February 1884 and a last date of 23 march 1884.Yours appears to be older than those dates.A second one is identified as Press Sorter N.2 RMA, type Bat,with an early date of 3 September 1890 and a last date of 1 March 1891.That's all what I have on this one

Micky

Post by Micky »

Seen this on my internet travells, going for about 60 euro for the stamp, the cancel looks impressive but not sure if the chase is worth it, plus I would only try selling it for profit anyhow.

Nice isn't it :D

Micky

moloch

Post by moloch »

Here's a copy of one British East Africa squared circle Sark's list didn't have - Railhead/Mombasa from 5 AU/01.

As for the Fort Johnston, the cancel is not scarce, so the value is all in a lovely cancel on a well-centered high value stamp. Is it worth more than 60 Euros? Good question.

Combining BEA with BCA produced my favourite BEA item. Wish the strike was a smidge darker.

It's a BEA high value stamp with a scarce Lilongwe BCA sq. cir.

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

very good information thanks.
I just found a new Italian squared circle postmark,not in catalogue.It is of Catena Nuova (Catania) and I have just notified the editor of the Gaggero catalogue so that it will be added to the new edition

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

Moloch and others contributing to these posts.
Can I ask you to give a look at the following website:
http://thesquaredcirclepostmarksworldwide.ca/
and notify me of any correction/ addition needed.The website is still under construction but for some reason it is already visible to the public, so can you please give me all your comments?don't look at the bibliography because that part has to be completely changed. thanks Matt

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Here is a sample of early Cape of Good Hope squared circle cancellations - enjoy!

(image unrecoverable from photobucket)

moloch

Post by moloch »

Aruba on card - have the basic set of 6 islands on cover now.

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

excellent thanks

italianstamps

Post by italianstamps »

does anybody know how to say squared circle postmarks in German? thanks

moloch

Post by moloch »

I believe it's just like it is in Dutch - vierkantstempel. Literally "square stamp".

moloch

Post by moloch »

Here's an Italian cancel for Matt to weigh in on. Appears the town is Cadenabbia from the straightline cancel above the townless squared circle cancel. No listing for Cadenabbia in Gaggero.

Sark

Post by Sark »

Sark wrote:Image

Show us your interesting or unusual Italian Squared Circle postmarks.

I liked this pair of cards as the Squ Circ's appear to be Italy's answer to the GB Skeleton or Traveller postmarks. Presumably the anonymous Squ.Circ. was held at the local Head Post Office and issued to local sub-offices who had either lost their usual postmark or it was being repaired. The straight line marks I have seen used on blank registration labels, post office dockets etc.

The small village/town of CADENABBIA is on Lake Como.
This was posted on an Italian Squ Circ thread earlier, but cards from same correspondence!

Sark

Post by Sark »

LucaL wrote:Yes, Sark. Those cancellations went into use when the usual postmark was lost or it was being repaired. In Italy we call these as "annulli muti", i.e. mute postmarks.

Cheers
Luca

moloch

Post by moloch »

I didn't realize there was an Italian squared circle thread.

I doubt hammer repairs explain this, otherwise I'd expect the cancel to be listed in Gaggero. And the only way to know it's duration of usage is from cover or card. All we know is a few items to the same address (from 2 senders) in a brief time frame. Interesting.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”