A chorus line of Penguins on stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

figmente
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: A chorus line of Penguins on stamps

Post by figmente »

ImageImageImage

South Georgia
July 10, 2008
Chinstrap penguin - Pygoscelis antarcticus

figmente

Post by figmente »

ImageImageImage

Panterra
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Panterra »

This year, 2020, is the fiftieth birthday of Mevu, a small Antarctic republic first established in 1970, and which has been a steady stamp-issuer since then. Penguins frequently feature on their stamps, and one penguin is also the main feature of their crest.

So to celebrate this birthday in a philatelic way, Occussi-Ambeno issued an attractive set of four stamps on 12th March 2020:

Occussi-Ambeno 2020 50th anniversary of Mevu's Independence.
Occussi-Ambeno 2020 50th anniversary of Mevu's Independence, first day cover.
[
ImageImageImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

South Georgia
April 12, 2010
1929 Falkland Islands King George V Whale and penguin definitive diagonal bisect stamp on stamp
London 2010 Festival of Stamps

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

This year, 2020, is the fiftieth birthday of Mevu, a small Antarctic republic first established in 1970, and which has been a steady stamp-issuer since then. Penguins frequently feature on their stamps, and one penguin is also the main feature of their crest.

So to celebrate this birthday in a philatelic way, Mevu issued an attractive set of four stamps on 12th March 2020. Several allies also celebrated the great event with similar stamps.

Mevu 2020 50th anniversary of Independence.
Mevu 2020 50th anniversary of Independence, first day cover.
Mevu Philatelic Bulletin wrote:The Mevu Post Office will issue a new set of stamps to celebrate our country’s 50th anniversary of independence, announced the Postmaster-General, Mr Ipi Obopopo Boko, today.

The stamps feature photos of penguins and transport in Mevu; the photos were taken by the President of Mevu, Her Excellency, Mrs Liese Keller. Designs are:

17 tanos Twin Otter aircraft at Amundsen Harbour, and Mevu founder Lemmath Babi.
35 tanos Penguins Parade, and early Antarctic explorer Roald Amundsen (1872-1928).
50 tanos Mail by tractor, and early Antarctic explorer Roald Amundsen (1872-1928).
1.70 reis Emperor Penguin, and Mevu founder Lemmath Babi.

Date of issue is 12th March 2020. The stamps have been printed in full colour and perforated 12 gauge, by Chan Hui Shudian Printing SA, Minaue, Waikoa Island. Attractive first day covers bearing the stamps are Rs 2.30.

The Republic of Mevu was founded in 1970, when a pioneering group established the country on the Riiser-Larsen Peninsular in Antarctica. The country underwent various changes of government over the years. In 1972, it became a National State, which prompted an armed rebellion, and in 1973, the rebels took over and set up the Democratic People's Co-operative Republic of Mevu (or DPCR Mevu, as it was abbreviated on the stamps.) In 1990, it celebrated its 20th Birthday, a truly monumental occasion for Antarctica! Later, the country joined the Antarctic Confederation of City Republics (ACCR) and decreased issuing its own stamps. Its identity has been rather subsumed to the ACCR since then. Waikoa Island became a Protectorate of Mevu in 1972, and Mevu administrators have guided that island since that time. Today, Mevu citizens make up the main tourist group on the island. Frozen fish and ice are imported from Mevu, whilst tropical fruit and vegetables are exported to Mevu. Negotiations for Waikoa Island’s independence are presently under way.
ImageImageImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
October 25, 2010

figmente

Post by figmente »

October 25, 2010

figmente

Post by figmente »

October 25, 2010

figmente

Post by figmente »

October 25, 2010

figmente

Post by figmente »

Feb. 15, 2011
Pets

Since the 1990s pets have not been allowed at South Georgia, so the set of six stamps is based on old photographs showing people and their pets from before that time.

The 80p stamp features Nan Brown who ran a 'penguin rehabilitation centre' at King Edward Point to rescue birds fouled with heavy fuel oil. After cleaning they were kept in a pen to recover. One of the gentoo penguins became a pet when it refused to leave after being released. Stugie (an anagram of Gutsie) had a damaged wing and could not fend for itself. It accompanied Nan around the settlement and visited the house daily but, not being house-trained, it was not allowed to stay inside for long. It would follow her to the jetty where she caught fish to feed its prodigious appetite.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Mevu 2019 fiscal stamps, showing the Mevu crest with a penguin on iceberg.
Mevu has used a standing penguin on its crest since independence 50 years ago.

Visit their website.
Mevu Philatelic Bulletin wrote:The Mevu Taxation Department has issued a new series of revenue stamps to collect taxation, announced the President, Her Excellency Mrs Liese Keller, today.

The stamps feature the crest of the country: a penguin standing on an iceberg. The stamp design is by Lemmath Babi, the first president of Mevu, done many years ago for a postal stationery design. The stamps have been printed in two colours by typography and perforated 12 gauge, by Chan Hui Shudian Printing SA, Minaue. This is the first time Mevu has ever issued fiscal stamps. While not intended for postal use, they will be permitted for mail, as very high value postage stamps are not printed in our country. So far, seven values have appeared: Rs 4¼, Rs 6¼, Rs 7¼, Rs 56, Rs 100, Rs 500, and Rs 1,000,000, but other values are due for release shortly.

Date of issue was 22nd October 2019. A curious item in this set is the top value: one million reis (= US $1,000,000). This is for bribery tax. In many places around the planet, large firms and billionaires pay huge graft or bribes to officials to expedite transactions or assure contracts go their way. Usually, such things are regarded as “corruption”, but in Mevu and its colony Waikoa Island, as long as the one million reis bribery tax is paid, then a firm or person is free to bribe or pay graft legally. The stamp is affixed to the permit and cancelled by signature of the person receiving the bribe.

These are believed to be the first fiscal stamps ever issued in the Antarctic. The Rs 4¼ is printed in lemon yellow, which is very hard to see, and also hard for the scanner to distinguish. However, the finance bureaucrats of Mevu insisted on distinctive colours for each stamp, to make accounting easy.
ImageImageImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Penguins feature on two values of a six-stamp set of Antarctic Wildlife from Tuva.

Tuva has little involvement with the Antarctic, although it may contribute staff to the Russian Federation's Mirny Station. But most lands featuring the Antarctic on stamps are located a long way from that chilly continent.
Tuva 1997 Antarctic Wildlife, 900 roubles, Penguins bow heads in prayer.
A wise move, to ensure the gods keep sending food.
Tuva 1997 Antarctic Wildlife, 2,700 roubles, Penguins waiting for the postman.
"Hope there's a letter for me!" says Happy Feet.
Tuva was keen to make money from philatelists (like most governments today), and this issue is in the same vein as other "third period" stamps shown earlier in this thread, and are a direct appeal to Antarctic enthusiasts, who would be expected to pay high prices for such a set honouring their deities.

And also to those of us who collect the early Tuva stamps, which we all assumed were a "completed" collection. (But now we need to start paying hugely for the new issues again, just like those folks "lucky" enough to collect exorbitant lands like Ghana, Uganda, Pitcairn, Guyana, and Togo.)
Wikipedia wrote:Penguins form monogamous pairs for a breeding season, though the rate the same pair recouples varies drastically. Most penguins lay two eggs in a clutch, although the two largest species, the emperor and the king penguins, lay only one. With the exception of the emperor penguin, where the male does it all, all penguins share the incubation duties. These incubation shifts can last days and even weeks as one member of the pair feeds at sea.

Penguins generally only lay one brood; the exception is the little penguin, which can raise two or three broods in a season.

Penguin eggs are smaller than any other bird species when compared proportionally to the weight of the parent birds; at 52 g, the little penguin egg is 4.7% of its mothers' weight, and the 450 g emperor penguin egg is 2.3%. The relatively thick shell forms between 10 and 16% of the weight of a penguin egg, presumably to reduce the effects of dehydration and to minimize the risk of breakage in an adverse nesting environment. The yolk, too, is large, and comprises 22–31% of the egg. Some yolk often remains when a chick is born, and is thought to help sustain the chick if the parents are delayed in returning with food.

When emperor penguin mothers lose a chick, they sometimes attempt to "steal" another mother's chick, usually unsuccessfully as other females in the vicinity assist the defending mother in keeping her chick. In some species, such as king and emperor penguins, the chicks assemble in large groups called crèches.
ImageImageImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

South Georgia
Dec. 21, 2015
Biodiversity
Macaroni Penguin

figmente

Post by figmente »

South Georgia
Aug. 15, 2017
Penguin River and Mount Paget

Penguin River is a small meandering stream which flows in a general northeast direction from Hamberg Lakes to the coast close south of Horse Head in Cumberland East Bay, South Georgia.

Mount Paget is the highest peak on the island of South Georgia, and also the highest peak in any territory under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom, except the British Antarctic Territory, which has no permanent population and where British sovereignty is unrecognized by most countries, where Mount Hope is the highest peak.
ImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands

Macaroni Penguins

figmente

Post by figmente »

ImageImageImage

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Panterra wrote:

Visit their website.
Just heard today from a friend that his cover with the million-dollar Mevu stamp on has safely reached him:
Mevu 2020 cover to New Zealand, with two postal-fiscals and several commemoratives on,
including the One Million "bribery tax" stamp, seldom used on actual mail!
When he told me yesterday that he hadn't received it after two weeks, I assumed that a sticky-fingered postie had "souvenired" it, so was about to send another. Then fortuitously, it arrived!

I assumed the million-dollar excess fee would have paid for EXPRESS or even "via slow turtle on foot" for the 20 km distance.

Any penguin collectors who would like a similar cover are welcome to PM me.
ImageImageImageImage

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Eli »

I thought Israel never issued a stamp shows penguin until I noticed the figure on the following stamp is "Pingi the Penguin", a famous character of the Israeli children TV series "Lovely Butterfly". The stamp was issued on June 22, 1999:

figmente

Post by figmente »

much more appreciated than Mevu spam.

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Panterra wrote:

Visit their website.
There are 15 stamps in the fiscal set. Here is the full set:
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 7 tanos, turquoise & blue.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 42 tanos, magenta & blue.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 4¼ reis, lemon & green.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 6¼ reis, grey & green.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 7¼ reis, fluorescent orange & green.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 12 reis, blue & red.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 17 reis, light brown & blue.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 56 reis, silver & red.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 100 reis, brown & green.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 200 reis, fluorescent green & blue.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 300 reis, yellow & red.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 500 reis, gold & red.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 2,000 reis, green & red.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 15,000 reis, red & blue.
Mevu 2019 fiscal, 1,000,000 reis, purple & red.
Mevu Philatelic Bulletin wrote:The Mevu Ministry of Finance will issue a new series of fifteen revenue stamps to collect taxation,
announced the President, Her Excellency, Mrs Liese Keller, today.

The stamps feature the crest of the country, showing a penguin. They have been printed
in two colours by typography and perforated 12 gauge, by Chan Hui Shudian Printing SA,
Minaue, Waikoa Island. While not intended for postal use, they will be permitted for
mail, as very high value postage stamps are not printed in the Antarctic.

The same tax rates apply in our colony, Waikoa Island, so they will also have a similar set
of fifteen stamps, though in a different design and colour scheme.

Date of issue is 22nd October 2019. These are for the main taxation rates in the country:

7 tanos, Turquoise & blue . . . Email tax. (Must be affixed to every email that is printed out for whatever reason.)

42 tanos, Magenta & blue . . . Medical tax. (Must be affixed to every medical prescription to be filled.)

Rs 4.25, Lemon & green . . . Entertainment tax. (Must be affixed to every cinema and stadium ticket.)

Rs 6.25, Grey & green . . . Bicycle tax. (Must be affixed to every annual bicycle permit.)

Rs 7.25, Orange & green . . . Marijuana tax. (Must be affixed to every half-ounce bag of cannabis sold.)

Rs 12, Blue & red . . . Small boat tax. (Must be affixed to every boat annual licence, for boat 10m and smaller.)

Rs 17, Light brown & blue . . . Dog tax. (Must be affixed to every annual dog licence.)

Rs 56, Silver & red . . . Wedding tax. (Must be affixed to every marriage license.)

Rs 100, Brown & green . . . Departure tax. (Must be affixed to every travel ticket by person leaving the country.)

Rs 200, Green & blue . . . Large boat tax. (Must be affixed to every boat annual licence, for boat 11m and larger.)

Rs 300, Yellow & red . . . Land transfer tax. (Land half-hectare or smaller.)

Rs 500, Gold & red . . . Company registration tax.

Rs 2,000, Green & red . . . Land transfer tax. (Land greater than half-hectare up to 2 ha.)

Rs 15,000, Red & blue . . . Land transfer tax. (Land greater than 2.1 hectare.)

Rs 1,000,000, Purple & red . . . Bribery tax. (Must be affixed to every agreement to bribe.)
ImageImageImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

ROARING PENGUIN SOFTWARE INC. produces a line of "Canit" anti-spam products

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RogerE »

There are many ways in which we can take stamps as a starting point
for deepening our knowledge — geography and history are two of the
most obvious "areas of knowledge" supported/stimulated by stamp
collecting. Thematic/topical collectors come up with any number of
more specialised subject areas that they learn about in depth through
their stamp collecting.

I am not just talking about general knowledge, and I'm certainly not
thinking about "trivia". I am talking about significant knowledge-in-depth,
with which we can engage the world more deeply and with a heightened
understanding. This is a strong fact-based way in which you can argue
against the prejudiced and dismissive view that stamp collecting is "for
children". (In fact, of course, it's also a great way to stimulate children's
knowledge, as many of us know from early stamp collecting experiences!)

One "area of knowledge" readily supported by stamp collecting, but not so
widely recognised in that context, is languages. Look at not just the image
on a stamp, but also its inscription. Often that inscription is in a language
different from your (first) language — why not try to use the resources on
hand to engage with that inscription in the language in which it is written?

I don't mean just reading a catalogue translation of the stamp subject.
I do mean studying the script and the individual words, what each means,
how each is pronounced, how the inscription works grammatically, and so
on. Learning and practising and remembering (even making some notes in
a notebook!) will provide carry-over benefits when you come to study other
stamps (and covers and postcards) with inscriptions in the same language.
More importantly, you will better understand the culture and the world-view
of the users of that language. (Try thinking about the habit of ignoring the
actual inscription as a "blindspot", and thinking about engaging with the
language as a positive habit of treating others as equals, respecting their
culture, and working at getting better acquainted with it.)

For instance, look at this marginal strip of three Israeli stamps shown in this
thread by Eli. He selected it for this thread because it includes a penguin:
Eli wrote:... "Pingi the Penguin", a famous character of the Israeli children TV series
"Lovely Butterfly". The stamp was issued on June 22, 1999:
May I use this strip to model the possibility for language study through stamps?
I hope Eli will correct any errors that I happen to make!

The Hebrew inscription, in "hand writing", clearly means Lovely Butterfly. But how
does it work? The hand written inscription is equivalent to the printed text
פרפר נחמד

which you can find using Google translate to pass from English to Hebrew, at
https://translate.google.com.au/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=iw

However, when you try "lovely butterfly" you get פרפר מקסים which only matches half
the target text. You have to try some other possibilities, and "nice butterfly" gives the
desired result. So this already shows that the English words "lovely" and "nice" only
mean approximately the same as the Hebrew word נחמד. And the Google translate
trials show the Hebrew words נחמד and מקסים have meanings which only approximate
the English word "lovely". Incidentally, Google translate puts its Hebrew text on the
right side of the translation panel, because Hebrew is written from right to left.

Printed Hebrew texts intended for experienced readers in fact use "simplified"
spelling, which essentially omits the vowels and leaves just the consonants in
place. In Hebrew the consonants are "big" letters, while the vowels are dots and
dashes added around the consonants — they make for much more complicated
type-setting, and require more spacing between lines. An experienced reader
perceives the "shape" of a word from its consonant pattern, and knows how the
word is pronounced, so doesn't need the vowels as a pronunciation aid. [This
phenomenon is paralleled in English by quickly scanning text such as
It is nxt dfifcilut tx raed xn Egnlsih snetecne wehn txe fnial ltetres axe crocret]

On the other hand, if you are a Hebrew-speaking child learning to read, or a beginner
learning to speak (as well as read) Hebrew, then the vowels are an essential aid to
knowing how a word is pronounced.

Here, the text פרפר נחמד is simplified spelling, omitting the vowels.
The full text, with vowels, including the adjective discovered unintentionally, is:
פַּרְפַּר נֶחְמָד
פַּרְפַּרparpar, butterfly
נֶחְמָדnekhmad, lovely, nice, beautiful, ...
מַקסִיםmaqsim, charming, enchanting, ...

Wikipedia has an article on the printed Hebrew alphabet, and another on the hand
written (cursive) version of the alphabet. The stamps shown have cursive inscriptions
so there is a need to compare the two styles.

First here is Wikipedia's table of the printed alphabet (arranged from left to right, for
learners used to reading from left to right!):

= פרפר נחמד
פ – pe ["pay"];
ר – resh ["raysh"];
נ – nun ["noon", but with the vowel short, as in "look"];
ח – khet ["kh" = ch in Scottish "loch"];
מ – mem;
ד – dalet [like Dr Who's "dalek" with t replacing k].
When some consonants occur at the end of a word they are given a special (often
elongated) form; none of those occurs on Eli's stamps. However, a terminal mem
does occur in מַקסִים (which we encountered unintentionally).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_alphabet

Finally, here is Wikipedia's table of the hand-written alphabet (arranged from right to
left, suitable for readers who have developed facility with right-to-left reading):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursive_Hebrew

/RogerE :D

figmente

Post by figmente »

Saint Thomas and Prince
Concorde and Penguins

figmente

Post by figmente »

Saint Thomas and Prince
Concorde and Penguins

figmente

Post by figmente »

Nov. 28, 2016
Zavodovski Island
BBC Earth

The island's penguin colony was featured in the "Frozen Seas" episode of the 2001 BBC nature documentary series The Blue Planet. It was subsequently featured in the "Islands" episode of the 2016 follow-up documentary Planet Earth II.

AndrewWalker
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by AndrewWalker »

Just found this thread, wonderful images and stamps hope there are more to come!

Some sightings of mine.

Years back in Sydney near Luna Park heard a few in the harbour making quite a loud barking sound!

Around 2000 I did a tour which took us to King Island north of Tasmania. Small town called Grassy. Just our small tour bus and a ute, got to see them come ashore.

NZ tour ~3 years ago, saw the rare Yellow-eyed Penguin on a beach near Dunedin.

Last year did a tour to Phillip Island and saw them come ashore at the main tourist/nesting sight. Plus a few spots elsewhere on the island. This year a few more at Melbourne Zoo!

A beautiful creature, even a purveyor of the arts!

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.insider.com ... 4RBcucEpJA

figmente

Post by figmente »

Tanzania
Feb. 18, 1999
Galapagos Penguin
Endangered Species of the World

Last edited by figmente on 03 Jun 2020 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

figmente

Post by figmente »

Tanzania
Nov. 15, 1999
King Penguins
Sea Birds

figmente

Post by figmente »

Tristan da Cunha
The Remote Island
Northern Rockhopper Penguin - Eudyptes chrysocome moseleyi

There are three closely related taxa of rockhopper penguins that have been traditionally treated as a subspecies and are sometimes split into three species.

figmente

Post by figmente »

Tristan da Cunha
Oct. 13, 2017
WWF
Northern Rockhopper Penguin - Eudyptes chrysocome moseleyi

ImageImageImage

figmente

Post by figmente »

United Nations, New York
Nov. 18, 2001
Canada Geese, Penguins, Tomato Plant
Climate Change

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

1991 Falkland Island. Set of eight. Postage Dues.
1991 Falkland Island. Set of eight. Postage Dues.

ImageImageImage
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Panterra

Post by Panterra »

Penguin on Marijuana

Or Marijuana on Penguin?
Mevu-20-Smaug-stp-M.jpg
Mevu 2020 Marijuana Tax overprint on 2019 fiscal stamp.
Panterra wrote:

Visit their website.
The 7¼ reis stamp (mainly used for Marijuana Tax) was recently issued with an appropriate overprint.

Rs 7.25, Orange & green . . . Marijuana tax. (Must be affixed to every half-ounce bag of cannabis sold.)

The basic stamp is printed in fluorescent orange, which does not take kindly to being scanned, and here seems a pale pink. If you recall the bright fluoro orange supplied to paint model aircraft, it is the exact match!

Should we describe this as a Penguin on Marijuana?

Or Marijuana on Penguin? :lol:

ImageImageImage

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

The great POM vs MOP debate... :)

figmente

Post by figmente »

Yugoslavia 2517d Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti)
Yugoslavia 2517d Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti)
Humboldt penguins are medium-sized penguins from coastal Chile and Peru, especially in the Pinguino de Humbold National Reserve

in the North of Chile.
Yugoslavia 2517 Feb. 23, 2001 Belgrade Zoo animals
Yugoslavia 2517 Feb. 23, 2001 Belgrade Zoo animals

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Its name in English is the Humboldt Penguin, but the stamp says
Перуански пингвин (Macedonian, Serbian) = Peruanski pingvin (Bosnian, Croatian) = Peruvian Penguin.
The scientific name Spheniscus humboldti favours Humboldt.

/RogerE

figmente

Post by figmente »

Argentina
Apr. 29, 2019
Icebreaker A.R.A. Almirante Izar
Icebreaker A.R.A. Almirante Izar
ARA Almirante Irízar is a large icebreaker of the Argentine Navy. She was built in Finland in 1975. She served in many peacetime capacities including resupply and personnel rotation to the Argentine Antarctic outposts, conducting and supporting scientific endeavors in Antarctica, and several passenger tours to Patagonia and the Antarctic.
During the Falklands War the vessel served as a troop transport and then as a hospital ship.
A major fire put her out of commission in 2007. After extensive refitting she returned to service in April 2017.

figmente

Post by figmente »

Australia
Nov. 17, 1954
Australia's interest in the Antarctic continent
National Antarctic research expeditions
Antarctic flora and fauna and map
Antarctic flora and fauna and map

turtle-bienhoa

Post by turtle-bienhoa »

Here's a literal line of penguins on a North Korean stamp, and on the cancellation:
IMG_4580.JPG
On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a pig dressing as a philatelist. Oink oink oink.
NOTE: Please see my interests on my profile.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”