Monkeys in Art, Space, Mythology, Literature and...on Trees!

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

mari
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Monkeys in Art, Space, Mythology, Literature and...on Tr

Post by mari »

A spider monkey from Colombia from 1960, it was issued issued for the 100th birthday of the Prussian geographer, naturalist and explorer, Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt.

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Eli »

Thanks, mari, for sharing the cute spider monkey!! I like the way he is climbing on the "Colombia"! :) :) :)

Endangered Monkeys on WWF Stamps
The Red-shanked Douc and the Black Crested Gibbon

Two endangered monkey species are depicted on a WWF set of stamps issued by Vietnam on July 15, 1987:

The Red-shanked Douc (Pygathrix nemaeus) is a species of Old World monkey, among the most colourful of all primates. The word "douc" (pronounced 'dook') is a Vietnamese word meaning "monkey". The douc is an arboreal and diurnal monkey that eats and sleeps in the trees of the forest. The red-shanked douc is on the IUCN Red List of endangered species, and CITES prohibits international trade. However, Vietnamese laws protecting the doucs have been difficult to enforce.

Maximum card depicting mother and baby Red-shanked Douc:

The Black Crested Gibbon (Hylobates concolor) is an endangered species of gibbon found in China, Laos, and northern Vietnam, with four subspecies. Gibbons are forest dwellers and are well known for their habit of swinging between the branches of the rainforest on their long arms, a method of locomotion known as brachiation. The black crested gibbon is listed as critically endangered on the IUCN Red List. An estimated 1300 to 2000 individuals are left in the wild.

Maximum card depicting adult black crested gibbon:

Here is a postcard from Cochin-China (One of the French colonies in today Vietnam), depicting a photo of black crested gibbons in the botanic garden of Saigon:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Barbe's leaf monkey (Presbytis barbei), issued by India on October 1, 2009, as one of a set of three stamps depicting rare fauna of the North East India:

Two maximum cards with special postmarks depicting the leaf monkey:

The complete set on a cover posted to Israel:

Vexillophile
Member Number 15,000! Joined: February 2, 2016
Member Number 15,000! Joined: February 2, 2016

Post by Vexillophile »

Part of the Mongolian circus set, issued in 1973

Collecting anything worldwide, but mainly definitives, maps & flags

Eli

Post by Eli »

Happy New Chinese Year of the Monkey 2016!!!

Today, February 8, is the first day of the Chinese year of the monkey.

The Chinese Zodiac is a twelve years cycle. Each year is named after one of the original twelve animals, each has a different personality and characteristics. The animals are believed to be the main factor in each person's life that gives them their traits, success and happiness in their life time.

According to one legend about the origin of Chinese Zodiac, the Jade emperor invited all the animals to a race. Twelve animals received the invitation: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig. According to their places in the race, the Jade emperor had given them each a number, starting with a Rat, the winner. Monkey is the ninth in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac. The Years of the Monkey include 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016,...

Monkeys are cheerful and energetic by nature and usually represent flexibility. People under the sign of the Monkey are wise, intelligent, confident, charismatic, loyal, inventive and have leadership. The weaknesses of the Monkeys are being egotistical, arrogant, crafty, restless and snobbish.

Many countries issued stamps to celebrate the New Year of the Monkey. Several SB members sent me covers franked with YOM stamps. From them, I already received two:

Mark (AMark) sent me this lovely cover from Canada:

The stamp depicting the figure of the Monkey King, Sun Wukong, hero of the Chinese legend “Journey to the West”. The figure on the stamp is embossed:

From Taiwan I received this lovely PC sent by a friend of SB member George (Philexx):

Thank you very much, Mark and George, for these lovely items. From time to time, I will post the covers I receive.

Happy New Year!!!
Eli

Eli

Post by Eli »

One of the extraordinary and spectacular sets depicting monkeys I saw in the last years are the set issued recently by Botswana entiteled "Vervet monkey in Botswana". although since 2010 I became selective and don't buy all issues depicting monkeys, I didn't hesitate for a second when I saw this lovely stamps which are work of art, IMO.

The stamps depicting the Vervet monkey (Chlorocebus pygerythrus), native of Africa, and designed by R. Khonat and I. Kokabi:

nethryk
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by nethryk »

The mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) is a primate of the Old World monkey (Cercopithecidae) family. Here is an image of a stamp depicting the head of a male mandrill, printed by lithography, and issued by Cameroun in 1998, Scott No. 931, plus a photo.

- nethryk

ImageImage

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Golden Langur

The golden langur (Presbytis geei) is an Old World monkey found in a small region of western Assam, India and in the neighboring foothills of the Black Mountains of Bhutan. Long considered sacred by many Himalayan people, the golden langur was first brought to the attention of the western world by the naturalist E. P. Gee in the 1950s. The golden langur is one of the most endangered primate species of India.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the golden langur was issued by Bhutan on June 10, 1984:

Maximum card depicting adult golden langur:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Nostalgia - Chinese Year of the Monkey 1968

Year 2016 is the Chinese Year of the Monkey. Many countries from all around the world issued stamps to celebrate the year. The same in year 2004. My collection of YOM 2004 occupies 24!! stockbook pages, and I don't have all issues. I assume YOM 2016 stamps will need double pages, if I am optimistic.

The first stamps in the world celebrating the Year of the Monkey issued in 1968. It is hard to believe that in those days only four!!! countries in the world issued stamps celebrating the YOM, all together issued five stamps and two SS's. The countries are Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Ryukyus (Note that even China didn't issue any stamp celebrating the Chinese new year). Let's see the 1968 issues:

Japan issued on December 11, 1967, one stamp and one SS consisted of four copies of the single stamp:

On the same day, December 11, 1967, one stamp was issued for use in the Ryukyu islands:

South Korea issued on December 10, 1967, one stamp and one SS with the same stamp (but imperforated). I don't have the stamp yet. Here is the SS:

The last issue for year 1968 came from Hong Kong, still under UK control. Two stamps were issued on January 23, 1968:

Ahhhh, nostalgia!!! those were the days :) :)

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Olive baboon (Papio anubis), an airmail stamp designed by French artist Odette Baillais, printed by photogravure, and issued for use in Afars and Issas on December 12, 1973, Scott No. C94.

- nethryk

Eli

Post by Eli »

Ring-tailed Lemur

I think that the most known and most recognized lemur is the Ring-tailed lemur (lemur catta), due to its long, black and white ringed tail. The Ring-tailed lemur, like all lemurs, is endemic to the island of Madagascar, known locally in Malagasy as maky or hira. It inhabits gallery forests to spiny scrub in the southern regions of the island. Here are several stamps depicting this cute lemur;

A color assay of the stamp depicting Ring-tailed lemur, designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued by Madagascar on September 20, 1954. One of my favorite stamps:

Lemur Stamp

Madagascar, issued on July 6, 1979;

Lemur Stamps

Hungary issued a SS depicting African fauna. On the right corner stands a Ring-tailed lemur:

Lemur Stamps

Ring-tailed lemur in Opole zoo in Poland, issued by Poland on September 30, 2005:

A cute Ring-tailed lemur as a mascot of the Indian ocean islands games, issued by Madagascar on August 7, 1990:

Lemur Stamps

Eli

Post by Eli »

To celebrate the New Year of the Monkey, Hong Kong issued on January 16, 2016, a set of four colorful stamps and two SS's, one of them made of Silk. I just received the stamps and the SS's from Canada Stamper:

ImageImage

This SS is made of 100% genuine silk made in Spain;

The peaches held by the monkeys are called A longevity peach, or Shoutao, is a type of lotus seed bun. It is white with a red dyed tip with a crease along the side, mimicking the shape of a peach. The longevity peach is a representation of Peaches of Immortality. According to Chinese mythology, these peaches ripen every thousands of years, and grant immortality to humans when consumed. Here is a stamp issued by Macau on May 9, 1994, depicting Shou star, the star of longevity, holding a longevity peach:

Two covers I received from Aethelwulf from Hong Kong franked with the set of stamps and SS:

Thank you very much Jean and Jeremy for these spectacular stamps, SS's and covers which all are great addition to my collection!!! :) :) :)

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Red-backed Squirrel Monkey

The Central American or Red-backed squirrel monkey (Saimiri oerstedii) is a squirrel monkey species from the Pacific coast of Costa Rica and Panama. Its population declined precipitously after the 1970s due to deforestation, hunting, and capture to be kept as pets. Efforts are underway to preserve the species. Despite the threats to the population, in 2008 the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) upgraded its conservation status from "endangered" to "vulnerable".

A set of WWF stamps depicting the Red-backed squirrel monkey was issued by Panama on June 27, 2007:

Monkey Stamps Panama WWF 2007

Cover sent by Marco (Matmex):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Chinese monkey miniature sculptures are the subject of the set of stamps issued by Antigua and Barbuda to celebrate the Chinese New Year of the Monkey:

Monkey Stamps 2016

Monkey Stamps 2016

Monkey Stamps 2016

Monkey Stamps 2016

Monkey Stamps 2016

Eli

Post by Eli »

Endangered Apes on WWF Stamps
The Common Chimpanzee

The common chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) is a species of great ape. It lives in in groups in a variety of habitats, including dry savanna, evergreen rainforest, montane forest, swamp forest, and dry woodland-savanna mosaic. The common chimpanzee is listed on the IUCN Red List as an endangered species. Between 170,000 and 300,000 individuals are estimated across its range in the forests and savannahs of West and Central Africa. The biggest threats to the common chimpanzee are habitat destruction, poaching and disease.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the common chimpanzee was issued by Sierra Leone on May 19, 1983:

Two maxi cards depicting the common chimpanzee:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Endangered Prosimian on WWF Stamps

Prosimians are the most primitive of the living primates, which also include the monkeys and apes. The name prosimian means pre-monkey. The living prosimians are placed in the suborder Prosimii, which includes four families of lemurs, the bush babies, lorises and pottos, and the tarsiers. Several of the prosimians are
declared as endangered species. On April 16, 1988, Madagascar issued a set of WWF stamps depicting four different endangered prosimians:

Greater Bamboo Lemur or Broad-nosed Gentle Lemur (Hapalemur simus):

WWF Stamps Monkeys Madagascar 1988

Diademed Sifaka (Propithecus diadema):

Indri (Indri indri):

Ruffed Lemur (Varecia variegata variegata):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Monkeys on Art Stamps

Here are several art stamps depicting monkeys:

Monkeys on ancient vase painting, Thera, Santorini Island, Greece - issued by Greece on March 30, 1973 as one of a set depicting archaeological findings from Santorini Island:

Monkey Stamps Greece 1973

Ringed-tail Lemur, painting by the Chinese-Italian painter Giuseppe Castiglione (Lang Shining) (1688 – 1766) - issued by Republic of China (Taiwan) on October 8, 2015:

Monkey Stamps Taiwan 2015

Tethered Monkey, painting by the South-African painter Albert Adams (1929–2006) - issued by South Africa on June 5, 2009:

Monkey Stamps South Africa 2009

The above South African stamp issued in a sheet contains ten stamps depicting modern SA artwork exhibited in the Constitutional Court building, Johannesburg, SA:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Golden Snub-nosed Monkey

The golden snub-nosed monkey (Rhinopithecus roxellana) is an Old World monkey in the Colobinae subfamily. It is endemic to a small area in temperate, mountainous forests of central and Southwest China. Of the three species of snub-nosed monkeys in China, the golden snub-nosed monkey is the most widely distributed throughout China.

Golden snub-nosed monkey, issued by PR China on February 25, 2000:

The stamp was issued in a sheet contains ten animal stamps and two labels. This cover, sent from China to Ngorno-Karabach (Artsakh), franked with part of the sheet:

Jose Paulo sent me this cover sent from China to Brasil franked with the Golden snub-nosed stamp:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Mandrill

The mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) is a primate of the Old World monkey family. It is one of two species assigned to the genus Mandrillus, along with the drill. Mandrills are found in southern Cameroon, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, and Congo. This species is listed by the IUCN as Vulnerable in view of the intensive hunting pressure on this species (combined with the habitat loss) across its range, which is likely to have resulted in a decline exceeding 30% over the past 30 years.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the mandrill was issued by Equatorial Guinea on July 20, 1991:

WWF Monkey Stamps

WWF Monkey Stamps

WWF Monkey Stamps

WWF Monkey Stamps

Maxicard depicting adult mandrill:

parryaw
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by parryaw »

North Borneo 1939 SG306 showing a proboscis monkey. They are know for their rather interesting noses.

Malaya, Sarawak, North Borneo, Orchids and whatever catches my eye :)

parryaw

Post by parryaw »

North Borneo 1939 SG309 showing a potrait of a Bornean orang utan. Orang utan means "man of the forest" in Malay.

Malaya, Sarawak, North Borneo, Orchids and whatever catches my eye :)

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, Parry, for sharing these two beautiful engraved stamps!!! North Borneo monkey stamps are among my favorites.

Violence among Apes

In her research in Gombe, Jane Goodall observed that Chimpanzees could be violent and provoke fights against neighboring groups usually to defend their territory. Her observation was the first record of long-term warfare between non-human primates.

Gorillas are less violent creatures but sometimes violent behavior could be observed between them:

Gorilla threat display – Burundi, March 19, 1971:

Gorilla threat display – Rwanda, September 7, 1970:

Fighting between gorillas – DR of Congo, 2005:

Gorilla using tool as weapon (??? – not sure a real observation) – Ghana, October 25, 1990:

Video: Violent chimpanzee attack - Planet Earth - BBC wildlife

Eli

Post by Eli »

Happy Chinese Year of the Monkey 2016!!!

To celebrate the 2016 Year of the Monkey, Indonesia issued on January 24, 2016, a set of three stamps depicting mythical monkey figures from the great Hindu epic - The Ramayana:

Angada and Anila cooperatively building a bridge to make a way to the demon city, Lanka:

Hanuman monkey-god burn down Lanka city with his burning tail:

The brothers Sibali and Sugriva from Wanara monkey Kingdom fighting for their throne:

Nice to know that these stamps were designed by...Wanara Studio!!! :) :)

Eli

Post by Eli »

I added to my collection these two covers franked with WWF stamps of Orangutan sent from Indonesia to Switzerland:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Mountain Gorilla

The mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei) is one of the two subspecies of the eastern gorilla, the largest living primate. There are two populations. One is found in the Virunga volcanic mountains of Uganda, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The other is found in Uganda's Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

Illegal hunting and destruction of their habitat as a result of intensifying forestry, development of agriculture, war and civil unrest form the most important threats for the species. Hence, the mountain gorillas were listed as Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List and are dependent on conservation efforts to survive.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the mountain gorilla was issued by Rwanda on March 25, 1985. Stamps were designed by the Belgian artist André Buzin and I think it is one of the best sets among WWF sets I have in my collection:

Souvenir sheet (Without WWF logo):

Special postmark depicting the mountain gorilla was applied in the day of issue:

The gorilla is a very important animal in Rwanda and appears in many stamps and several banknotes of this country. Here is one banknote issued in 1998:

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

Udzungwa red colobus (Procolobus gordonorum), printed by lithography (Joh. Enschedé), and issued by Tanzania on October 28, 2010 as one of six stamps in a "Wild Animals of Tanzania" souvenir sheet, plus a photo.

- nethryk

ImageImage

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Eastern Lowland Gorilla

Grauer's gorilla, formerly known as the eastern lowland gorilla (Gorilla beringei graueri) is a subspecies of eastern gorilla endemic to the mountainous forests of eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire). It is the largest of the four gorilla subspecies.

Threats to the Grauer's gorilla's survival include: poaching, mining, civil unrest and agriculture. Civil unrest in the DR of Congo has resulted in a decline in Grauer's gorillas. The region inhabited by eastern gorillas has decreased from 8,100 square miles to 4,600 square miles in the past 50 years. Scientists have estimated that the population has decreased by more than 50% since the mid-1990s. The Grauer's gorillas are listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List.

A beautiful set of WWF stamps depicting the Grauer's gorilla was issued by DR of Congo on August 30, 2002:

The male's coat turns silver at the back as the animal matures - Souvenir sheet (Without WWF logo):

DR of Congo (Zaire) issued in 1991 a banknote depicting gorilla family in Kahuzi Biega Park:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Western Gorilla - the Cross River Gorilla

The two gorilla subspecies WWF stamps I posted above (mountain gorilla and eastern lowland gorilla) are both belong to the Eastern Gorilla species (Gorilla beringei). There is a second species of gorilla called the Western Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla) consisted of two subspecies (cross river gorilla and western lowland gorilla).

The Cross River gorilla (Gorilla gorilla diehli) is a subspecies of the western gorilla (Gorilla gorilla), endemic to the forested hills and mountains of the Cameroon-Nigeria border region at the headwaters of the Cross River (Nigeria). The Cross River gorilla is the most endangered of the African apes and one of the world's 25 most endangered primates according to the IUCN Primate Specialist Group.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the Cross River gorilla was issued by Nigeria on March 26, 2008. Unfortunately, the stamps were printed in a very low quality unlike other WWF stamps that are famous for their high quality design and printing:

WWF set of stamps depicting the second subspecies of the Western Gorilla (the western lowland gorilla) was issued by the Central African Republic in 2015. I will post the set when I have it.

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Slow Loris

The Sunda slow loris (Nycticebus coucang) is primate and a species of slow loris native to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. Like other slow lorises, it has a wet nose (rhinarium), a round head, small ears hidden in thick fur, a flat face, large eyes and a vestigial tail.

The species is listed as "Vulnerable" on the IUCN Red List. It is threatened with extinction due to a growing demand in the exotic pet trade, and has become one of the most abundant primate species on sale at Indonesian pet markets. It also suffers from habitat loss, which has been severe in the areas in which it is found.

A slow loris eating an insect, Java, Indonesia - issued by Grenada on August 13, 1993 to publicize the Asian International Stamp Exhibition "Indopex '93" held in Surabaya, Indonesia:

Slow loris, issued by Malaysia on December 2, 1996 to publicize the stamp week:

This stamp issued also in a SS depicting different local animals. The back side of the above cover franked with the complete SS:

The first ever cover franked with primate stamp posted to me is the following one I received from Singapore franked with a stamp depicting the slow loris issued on January 13, 1993:

Eli

Post by Eli »

The CITES

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is a multilateral treaty to protect endangered plants and animals. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten the survival of the species in the wild, and it accords varying degrees of protection to more than 35,000 species of animals and plants.

The UN issued many sets of stamps, each consisted of four stamps, depicting endangered species protected by the CITES. Usually, the stamps were issued in a sheet consisted four sets and illustrated margins. Here is an example of one sheet issued on April 22, 1999. One of the stamps depicting Orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus):

Many endangered monkeys and apes are depicted among these sets. Here are three sets issued on January 29, 2004 for use in the UN headquarters in NY, Geneva and Vienna, respectively. In each set, one stamp depicting monkey:

Golden Snub-nosed Monkey (Pygathryx roxellana):

Lion-tailed Macaque (Macaca silenus):

Collared Mangabey(Cerbocebus torquatus):

Eli

Post by Eli »

Primates of Congo, a set of seven spectacular stamps and a souvenir sheet issued by the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) on October 12, 1991:

Diana Monkey (Cercopithecus diana):

Common Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes):

Gelada Baboon (Theropithecus gelada):

Hamadryas Baboon (Papio hamadryas):

Southern Pig-tailed Macaque (Macaca nemestrina):

Western Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla):

Mandrill (Papio sphinx):

Western Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla):

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Proboscis Monkey

The proboscis monkey (Nasalis larvatus) is a reddish-brown arboreal Old World monkey that is endemic to the southeast Asian island of Borneo. This species is easily identifiable because of its unusually large nose.

The proboscis monkey is assessed as endangered in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species and listed in CITES. Its total population has decreased by more than 50% in the past 40 years due to ongoing habitat loss and hunting in some areas. Hence the proboscis monkey is protected by law in all regions of Borneo.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the proboscis monkey was issued by Brunei Darussalam on March 31, 1991:

WWF stamps proboscis monkey Brunei 1991

Two maxicards depicting adult male and mother and baby:

Video: The Proboscis Monkey

Eli

Post by Eli »

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Pan-African Postal Union (PAPU), Uganda issued on January 18, 2011 a set of twenty!!! stamps depicting the mountain gorilla. I don't know why gorilla was chosen and why twenty stamps were issued to celebrate the PAPU anniversary, but they are all cute...

Here are several of them:

Uganda Stamps Gorilla 2011

Eli

Post by Eli »

Primates of Senegal, issued by Senegal on November 29, 1996:

Grivet (Cercopithecus aethiops):

Patas Monkey (Erythrocebus patas):

Campbell's Guenon (Cercopithecus campbelli):

Common Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes):

Guinea baboon (Papio papio):

Issued as se-tenant:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Endangered Prosimians on WWF Stamps
The Zanzibar Galago (Bushbaby)

The Zanzibar galago (Galago zanzibaricus) is the most abundant and widespread galago in the coastal forests of Tanzania. This species occurs in the mid to high canopy of tropical coastal forest, submontane and lowland tropical forest. This species is threatened through the loss of indigenous forests by replacement with exotic conifers. It is presumably also threatened by a general loss of its forest habitat through conversion to agricultural land and timber extraction.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the Zanzibar galago was issued by Tanzania on January 29, 1989:

Two maxicards depicting the Zanzibar galago:

nethryk

Post by nethryk »

A boy reading with his monkey pal, and a spider in its web, a semi-postal (charity) stamp printed by lithography, and issued by Surinam on November 26, 1965 as one of a set of four stamps benefiting child welfare, Scott No. B117.

- nethryk

Eli

Post by Eli »

Monkeys in Legends
"The Four Friendly Animals" Legend

I have already written about the legend of "The Four Friendly Animals" telling about a dove, a hare, a monkey and an elephant who all together cooperated to reach sweat fruits from a high tree.

Two different issues by Bhutan depicting this legend:

A set of two stamps issued on December 31, 1999, to celebrate the Millennium Year 2000:

A souvenir sheet issued on February 3, 2011 to celebrate the New Chinese Year of the Rabbit:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Monkeys in Art Stamps
American Pre Columbian Art

A pair of monkeys ceramic miniature - Mochica culture, issud by Peru on August 18, 1997:

Monkey ceramic sculpture from Apoyo, Nicaragua, 700 CE-1200 CE, issued by Nicaragua on October 15, 1972:

Monkey ceramic bottle, Chorrera culture, issued by Ecuador in 1975:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Apes in Science Stamps - Communication

Kanzi (born 1980) is a male pygmy chimpanzee (Pan paniscus) who has been featured in several studies on great ape language done by Sue Savage-Rumbaugh, a primatologist at Georgia State University's Language Research Center in Atlanta, Georgia. During the research, Kanzi achieved communication with humans using keyboard and sign language.

Kanzi, issued by Liberia on April 16, 2001 as one of a set entitled "Famous animals of our time":

This stamp issued in a sheet contains six stamps:

Kanzi converses with Sue Savage-Rumbaugh in 2006 using a portable "keyboard" of arbitrary symbols that Kanzi associates with words:

Hanabiko "Koko" (born July 4, 1971) is a female western lowland gorilla who is known for having learned a large number of hand signs from a modified version of American Sign Language (ASL). The research was done by Francine "Penny" Patterson, an American animal psychologist, sponsored by the Gorilla foundation of California:

Koko, issued by Liberia on April 16, 2001:

Koko with Penny Patterson:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Monkeys in Mythology Stamps
Howler monkey gods

Howler monkeys (genus Alouatta monotypic in subfamily Alouattinae) are among the largest of the New World monkeys. Fifteen species are currently recognized. These monkeys are native to South and Central American forests. These monkeys are famous for their loud howls, which can travel three miles through dense rainforest.

Here is a stamp issued by Belize on February 15, 2000 depicting Guatemalan black howler monkey (Alouatta pigra):

Among the Classic Mayas, the howler monkey god was a major deity of the arts and music and a patron of the artisans, especially of the scribes and sculptors. Two monkey patron statues are depicted in the house of scribes, Copan temple, Honduras. These statues may actually represent howler monkeys in their quality of musicians.

Howler monkey god statue, Copan temple, issued by Honduras on March 1, 1978:

Photo was taken by Adalberto Hernandez Vega from Copan Ruinas, Honduras

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Red-tailed Monkey and the Moustached Guenon

A set of WWF stamps issued by Angola on August 30, 2011 depicting two guenon species:

The red-tailed monkey or Schmidt's guenon (Cercopithecus ascanius) and the moustached guenon (Cercopithecus cephus) are both species of primate in the family Cercopithecidae. They are found in many areas in Africa including Angola.

The red-tailed monkey is listed on CITES and on the African Convention on the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. It is presumed to occur in a number of protected areas across its range. The moustached guenon has been impacted by habitat loss through deforestation, and presumably hunting for meat. However, it can thrive secondary habitat, and seems to remain common in some parts of its range.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Monkey Predator - The Harpy Eagle

The harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja) is a neotropical species of eagle. It is the largest and most powerful raptor found in the Americas and among the largest extant species of eagles in the world. It usually inhabits tropical lowland rainforests in the upper (emergent) canopy layer.

The harpy eagle is an actively hunting carnivore. Its main prey are tree-dwelling mammals and a majority of the diet has been shown to focus on sloths and monkeys.

Here is a WWF stamp issued by Guyana on January 23, 1990 depicting Harpy eagle holding a wounded Capuchin monkey:

This stamp was issued as one of a set of four stamps. To see the stamps in high resolution, click here.

Monkeys regularly devoured by the Harpy eagle include (from left) titi monkeys, capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys and squirrel monkeys:

I already posted the following stamp issued by Guyana on May 26, 1977, but I just noticed that the left coin depicting Harpy eagle while the right depicting capuchin monkey - a predator and its prey!

Eli

Post by Eli »

Happy Year of the Monkey 2016!!!

We are at the middle of the Chinese Year of the Monkey and it is about the time to show several covers franked with Year of the Monkey stamps, all posted to me by SB members:

Christmas Islands - sent by King Tut:

Singapore - sent by Shiouming:

France - sent by Gugusg:

Philippines - sent by Anichat:

Canada - sent by AMark:

Last edited by Eli on 03 Sep 2016 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Eli

Post by Eli »

USA - sent by sp00nybi11:

Slovenia - sent by Teja:

Hungary - sent by Matmex:

Malaysia - sent by elephanttiger:

Canada - sent by Canada Stamper:

Hong Kong - sent by aethelwulf:

Thanks again all for these lovely covers! I received many more covers and will show them other time. Happy Year of the Monkey!! :) :) :)

Eli

Post by Eli »

The Golden Lion Tamarin

The golden lion tamarin (Leontopithecus rosalia) also known as the golden marmoset, is a small New World monkey of the family Callitrichidae. Native to the Atlantic coastal forests of Brazil, the golden lion tamarin is an endangered species with an estimated wild population of about 3,200 individuals spread between four places along southeastern Brazil, and a captive population maintained at about 490 individuals among 150 zoos.

Brazil, issued on June 6, 1976:

Grenada, issued on December 15, 1992 to publicize the Earth Summit '92, held in Rio de Janeiro:

Paraguy, issued on August 20, 1975:

Brazil - 20 Reais banknote - 2002:

Brazil - 20 Reais banknote - 2010:

Eli

Post by Eli »

Endangered Primates on WWF Stamps
The Bonbo, Pygmy Chimpanzee

The bonobo (Pan paniscus), formerly called the pygmy chimpanzee, is an endangered great ape and one of the two species making up the genus Pan; the other is Pan troglodytes, or the common chimpanzee. Bonobos are found only in the humid forests of the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire) of central Africa.

A set of WWF stamps depicting the Bonobo was issued by Zaire on February 12, 1997:

stampraider
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by stampraider »

Hi Eli,

Would this item with King Kong interest you?
Collecting Archaeology covers http://stampraider.blogspot.ca/

Eli

Post by Eli »

stampraider Hi,

Cool item!! I have the stamp and the booklet of Fay Wray but didn't know about this postal stationary. I will be glad to add it to my collection. Thanks, Eli

Eli

Post by Eli »

Primates of Belize, issued on November 11, 1987 by Belize:

Black spider monkey (Ateles paniscus), a species of spider monkey found in the rain forests in northern South America. The species faces issues with hunting and habitat loss, so is listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red list.

The black howler (Alouatta caraya) is a species of howler monkey, a large New World monkey, from northeastern Argentina, eastern Bolivia, eastern and southern Brazil, and Paraguay. This species is listed as Least Concern considering its large range, presence in several national parks, and ability to adapt to modified habitats.

20 Dollars banknote issued by Belize in 2003 depicting black howler monkey:

tacomabob
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by tacomabob »

As near as I could tell this monkey from a children's book
"Curious George" is the only monkey on USA stamps.
This set was issued January 10, 2006

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”