Mythologies of the World on Stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Eli
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Mythologies of the World on Stamps

Post by Eli »

Egyptian Mythology - Egyptian Mythic figures on stamps issued to to publicize UNESCO's campaign to preserve the Nubian monuments:

In 1959, the construction work of Aswan dam in Egypt began. The old Pharaonic Nubian monuments were under threat from the rising water of the Nile. In 1960, UNESCO launched an international campaign to save the monuments. Rescue operation was begun, archaeological sites were surveyed and excavated and 24 major monuments were moved to safer locations.

Many countries issued stamps publicizing the international cooperation to save the Nubian monuments. Here are several of them, all show figures from the Egyptian mythology:

Bas-relief sculpture of the goddess Hathor, goddess of the sky, of women, and of fertility and love. designed and engraved by Jacques Combet, and issued by Central African Republic on March 7, 1964:

Central African 1964 Nubia800.jpg

Ancient Egyptian Hathor pillar, designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps, and issued by Democratic Republic of Congo on March 3, 1964:

Congo 1964 Nubia800.jpg

King Ramses II pays homage to the gods of Egypt, Wadi-es-Sabua, designed and engraved by Claude Durrens and issued by Gabon on March 9, 1964:

Gabon 1964 Nubia800.jpg

gods of the Nile uniting, designed and engraved by Pierre Béquet, and issued by Senegal on March 7, 1964:

Senegal 1964 Nubia800.jpg

goddess Isis, goddess of the moon. As goddess of life and magic, Isis protected women and children, and healed the sick. Designed and engraved by ZIN, the Yugoslavian Institute for Manufacturing Banknotes and Coins, and issued by Morocco on July 15, 1963:

Morocco 1963 Nubia 2800.jpg

I posted in the engraved thread several stamps publicising the UNESCO's campaign:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=6665506#p6665506
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=6668832#p6668832

BlackTuesday
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by BlackTuesday »

Eli wrote:
23 Jun 2020 14:49
Thanks again, BlackTuesday, for the great information you provided which enrich our knowledge about the Ramayana in general and about this beautiful Thai set in particular. I will prepare an album page for this great set using the new information. I am looking for the FDC and other items (like commercial covers) related to these great stamps.

You're welcome Eli!
You can see my exhibition, although ten years old and not updated, here:
The Ramayana - the adventure of Lord Rama
I went through all of it and loved them so much! ... I can not imagine how much patience, time and effort have been required to make such a wonderful collection as well as exhibition, on such a foreign topics ... respect!!!

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks BlackTuesday for your warm words. With time, I will post here more items about Ramayana which I still didn't post. Keep in touch.

Artemis of Ephesus - goddess of Fertility

The Temple of Artemis was a Greek temple dedicated to the goddess Artemis. It was located in Ephesus (near the modern town of Selçuk in Turkey). It is one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Here is a stamp shows the temple of Artemis, designed by Pierre Gandon, engraved by Jacques Combet and issued by Mali on December 13, 1971:

Mali 1971 Wonders 3.jpg

While In Greece Artemis (Diana) was regarded as the goddess of hunt, the goddess Artemis that was worshipped in Ephesus was regarded as the goddess of fertility. Hence, she was depicted with multiple breasts symbolyzing fertility and prosperity.

Artemis of Ephesus statue called "Beautiful Artemis", Ephesus Museum in Selçuk, issued by Austria on April 17, 2020 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of excavations in Ephesus by the Austrian Archaeological Institute.

Austria 2020 Artemis photo.jpg

Statue of Artemis of Ephesus, designed by Vittorio Grassi, and issued for use in the Italian colony of Libya in 1921:

IMG_20200630_0001.jpg

In his painting, "Erichthonius discovered by the daughters of Cecrops**", which shows a newborn, P. P. Rubens (1577-1640) painted a statue of the many breasted Artemis, goddess of fertility, on the upper right corner. Here is the painting on a stamp designed (after Rubens) by Karl Gessner, engraved by Alfred Fischer and issued by Liechtenstein on September 9, 1976 to mark the 400th anniversary of the birth of Rubens:

Liechtenstein 1976 Rubens 3.jpg

** - "Erichthonius discovered by the daughters of Cecrops"

yakub99
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by yakub99 »

Good work, Eli. Keep on !!!
Here is an Artemis of Ephesus statue from Israel Museun in Jerusalem ( a beauty without her head) :
Last edited by CMJ on 01 Jul 2020 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsecure image link(s) corrected

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Eli wrote:
30 Jun 2020 19:51
Thanks BlackTuesday for your warm words. With time, I will post here more items about Ramayana which I still didn't post. Keep in touch.
@Eli, You're welcome! ... I will try to remain regular here

Well, its good to be back and ready to post about the remaining stamps

First of all, I have received help from someone, and I am indebted to him for the rest of the explanation and also new light to the previous ones (not taking his name without permission).

One major thing I had forgotten before is that the murals on the "Ramakien Gallery" are actually a continuous pictorial story of the epic. As a result, one mural's image on a stamp does not always depict only one story in it. On the contrary, different parts of the image may contain different incidents.

We can not edit our previous posts here, else I would have made some corrections there (adding more details).

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

An image of the Ramakien gallery walls, found on the net:

Wat phra 1.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

I'm going to explain "SG 766: Tapanasura fighting Rama" first, because events of this stamp happened before the previous one.

Observe the stamps below with SG 766 first and then SG 765, and notice the portion within red rounded rectangle. They are same image portion, and it is obvious that SG 765 is in fact an immediate continuation of SG 766.

TH 765 766C.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

SG 766: Tapanasura fighting Rama.

TH 766A.jpg

The main incident depicted on the stamp is demon Thapanasun's fight and eventual death.

Though referred as Tapanasura in the Stanley Gibbons catalog, he is actually known as Thapanasun in the Thai Ramakien. I couldn't identify who he is in the Sanskrit version Ramayana.

Main Storyline:

After the revival of Phra Lak, thanks to Hanuman bringing the whole mountain of medicinal plants*, Thapanasun came out to fight. At one point of the war he made his mouth wide open and started swallowing the monkey army. Seeing this Phra Ram sent Sukkhrip to cut off Thapanasun's arm. Sukhrip cut off his both arms, and subsequently Thapanasun is struck and killed by Phra Ram's arrow.

Things to notice on the stamp:

To the upper left corner, there is a scene which shows a meeting of the Phra Ram camp, and Phiphek telling Phra Ram that Thapanasun has come out to fight.

To the upper middle part of the stamp, Thapanasun is shown with his mouth wide open gathering all the troops to swallow up. To the lower left of this, Phra Ram seeing from a distance after sending Sukhrip to cut off his arms. Next to Thapanasun is Sukhrip ready to cut off his arms.

To the upper right corner, there is a scene which will be covered on the SG 765 explanation.

The lower part of this stamp depicts a small portion of the actual image, showing a scene from the next episode. There we can see, to the right side of the palace, Thotsakan is talking with Nang Montho (where the letters "PO" of the word "POSTAGE" exists).

* In Sanskrit version of the Ramayana, right after this incident, final battle between Rama and Ravana started and continued in various phases until the demise of Ravana.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

A still image of the mural used in SG 766

Panel for SG 766.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

The sequence of events in the previous mural image can be described as follows:

1. Upper left corner:

IMG_1013 - Part 1a.jpg

The scene in the upper left corner shows a meeting of the Phra Ram camp, where Phiphek is telling Phra Ram that Thapanasun has come out to fight.

2. Lower left corner:

IMG_1013 - Part 2.jpg

The scene in the lower left corner shows Thapanasun shooting an arrow, which becomes many arrows, at the monkey army, with Phra Ram looking on from the left.

3. Upper middle portion:

IMG_1013 - Part 3.jpg

In this portion, Thapanasun is shown with his mouth wide open gathering all the troops to swallow up. To the lower left of this, Phra Ram seeing from a distance after sending Sukhrip to cut off his arms. Next to Thapanasun is Sukhrip ready to cut off his arms.

4. Lower right corner:

IMG_1013 - Part 4.jpg

This part of the mural panel depicts scenes from the next episode after the death of Thapanasun.

To the right side of the palace, Thotsakan is seen talking with his wife Nang Montho. Then to the left of this, he is seen talking with his two sons, Thotsakhiriwan and Thotsakhirithon. Below this at the corner, Nang Montho can be seen sitting, performing a ceremonial rite.

sksondhi1
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by sksondhi1 »

BlackTuesday wrote:
04 Jul 2020 08:02
The sequence of events in the previous mural image can be described as follows:

1. Upper left corner:

The scene in the upper left corner shows a meeting of the Phra Ram camp, where Phiphek is telling Phra Ram that Thapanasun has come out to fight.

2. Lower left corner:

The scene in the lower left corner shows Thapanasun shooting an arrow, which becomes many arrows, at the monkey army, with Phra Ram looking on from the left.

3. Upper middle portion:

In this portion, Thapanasun is shown with his mouth wide open gathering all the troops to swallow up. To the lower left of this, Phra Ram seeing from a distance after sending Sukhrip to cut off his arms. Next to Thapanasun is Sukhrip ready to cut off his arms.

4. Lower right corner:

This part of the mural panel depicts scenes from the next episode after the death of Thapanasun.

To the right side of the palace, Thotsakan is seen talking with his wife Nang Montho. Then to the left of this, he is seen talking with his two sons, Thotsakhiriwan and Thotsakhirithon. Below this at the corner, Nang Montho can be seen sitting, performing a ceremonial rite.
Thank you BlackTusesday for the detailed information. Without your help it wouldn't have been possible to expalin the sequence of events depicted on the stamps. Great job.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

sksondhi1 wrote:
05 Jul 2020 03:56
Thank you BlackTusesday for the detailed information. Without your help it wouldn't have been possible to expalin the sequence of events depicted on the stamps. Great job.
@sksondhi, You're welcome! ... It was my pleasure!

sksondhi1 wrote:
08 May 2020 01:33
Need help in identifying the Hindu deities in this image from Prambanan temple, Indonesia.

Did you get the required information regarding this image?

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

Not yet.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

sksondhi1 wrote:
05 Jul 2020 05:32
Not yet.
I will try to get some information after finishing the Thailand set.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

SG 765: Sprinkling holy water.

TH 765.jpg

Three different incidents are shown in this stamp, in two of them occasion of sprinkling of the holy water, also called celestial elixir or celestial water, happens.

This stamp was quite a hard one to explain and I was stuck with it for a long time. First, in the book there are quite a few incidents involving the holy water, but they were not matching with the image of the stamp satisfactorily. Also, unless you get a good resolution image of the mural, it was tough to guess the events from the stamp image.

Then again, there are a few anomalies in what is painted in the mural, with what is written in the Ramakien text. Another thing to notice is that the source materials which I found later, have the names of the characters one or two characters different than I used in previous posts. Like Tosakan is Thotsakan, Piphek is Phiphek, Ongkot is Ongkhot, etc. I'm sticking with the later ones now as I consider them more authentic.

Main Storyline:

After the death of Thapanasun, all the monkey troops swallowed by him started coming out of his stomach alive, when Phra In revived them by using celestial water. Then Thotsakan's two sons, Thotsakhiriwan and Thotsakhirithon came out to fight. At different phases of the war, both of them were killed by Phra Lak. Afterwards, when the demon army was being massacred by Phra Ram, demon king Thotsakan came out to fight him. And using the celestial elixir of Nang Montho he resurrected the dead demons.

Footnote:

I will explain the separate incidents using a big resolution still image. But if anybody wonders how many demons were resurrected by the holy water! Sorry, I do not know.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

A still image of the mural used in SG 765

Panel for SG 765a.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

The sequence of events in the mural image used in SG 765 can be described as follows:

1. Upper left corner:

IMG_1019 - Part 1a.jpg

The scene in the upper left corner shows that after the death of Thapanasun, all the monkey troops swallowed by him are coming out of his stomach alive, when Phra In revived them by using celestial water. We can see Phra In (King of Gods, Indra) and Phra Witsanukam (The artisan god, Vishwakarma) in the sky above.

According to the book, Sukhrip severs Thapanasun’s arms, although they don’t appear to be cut off in the mural painting. Also Thapanasun is not looking like a dead yet.

2. Upper part:

IMG_1019 - Part 2a.jpg

A war scene is depicted in the upper part of the panel with Thotsakan to the left and Phra Ram to the far right. Phra Lak is seen shooting an arrow at Thotsakhiriwan, while Thotsakhirithon can be seen in front of Phra Ram’s chariot, with Phra Ram shooting at him.

This does not conform to the text, as according to the text, Phra Lak shoots and kills both of them. Here it appears as if Phra Lak is going to kill Thotsakhiriwan, and Phra Ram Thotsakhirithon.

3. Lower part:

IMG_1019 - Part 3d.jpg

The lower part of the panel shows Thotsakan uses the celestial elixir of Nang Montho to resurrect the dead demons, all of whom can be seen in a diamond net of arrows created by Phra Ram.

The panel also shows Phra Lak fighting hand to hand with someone (below the front four legs of Phra Ram's chariot horse).

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

A better looking version of lower part of the mural image used in SG 765, found on the net:

thai-mural-painting-25301487 a.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

SG 767: Bharata on march.

TH 767.jpg

This stamp depicts the event of Phra Phrot's army's return from Longka to Ayutthaya.

To understand the events of this stamp some backstory is needed to be told first.

Backstory:

After his return to Ayutthaya and coronation, Phra Ram renamed Phiphek as Thao Thotsakiriwong, ruler of Longka. Hanuman is renamed as Phaya Anuchit. Phra Ram shoot an arrow to find a location for a new city for Phaya Anuchit and Phra Witsanukam built a new city there for him. Phra Ram named the city Nopburi, and appointed him the ruler of the city.

At a later point of time, Thao Thotsakiriwong invited Phaya Anuchit to visit Longka. During his stay at Longka Phaya Anuchit met Nang Benyakai. Later Nang Montho gave birth to Painasuriwong (son of Thotsakan) and Nang Benyakai gave birth to Asurpat (son of Phaya Anuchit). But Phaya Anuchit gave away everything including his city Nopburi and became a renunciant.

Much later when the boy Painasuriwong was grown up and learnt about his father's fate, he decided to kill Thao Thotsakiriwong. He approached King of Maliwan Thao Jakrawat, who was a friend of Thotsakan, to help him. Thao Jakrawat with his army came to Longka, a fight ensued. Thao Jakrawat captured Thao Thotsakiriwong and have him imprisoned. Painasuriwong became the ruler of Longka and renamed as Thao Thotsapin, while Thao Jakrawat returned to Maliwan.

Asurpat then asks his mother about his father and learnt about Phaya Anuchit. He left Longka and went out to find his father. After finding him, Asurpat related the chaotic situations in Longka to him. Both of them then went to Phra Ram and Phaya Anuchit told him the difficulties in Longka.

Main Storyline:

Phra Ram sent Phra Phrot and Phra Satrut as generals to go fight against Longka as well as Maliwan, and free Thotsakiriwong. When the army reached Longka, Asurpat fought with Thotsapin and defeated him without much trouble. Asurpat freed Thotsakiriwong from jail. But when Phra Phrot and Phra Satrut's army arrived at Maliwan, they had to engage in a fearsome full scale war with Thao Jakrawat and his army. Eventually they defeated Thao Jakrawat and Phra Phrot prepared the army to return to Ayutthaya. When they reached the southern ocean, Phaya Anuchit (Hanuman) transformed his body into a bridge to let Phra Phrot's army cross the ocean.
Last edited by BlackTuesday on 06 Jul 2020 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

A still image of the mural used in SG 767

SG 767 - Full B.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

The sequence of events in the mural image used in SG 767 can be described as follows:

1. Upper left corner:

SG 767 - Part 1B.jpg

After defeating Thao Jakrawat, Phra Phrot entered the city of Maliwan. Upon hearing that they had reached the palace and were seated on the singhat throne, Thao Jakrawat's wife Nang Watchanisun, her daughter Nang Ratanamali, together with the inner court maidens, went for audience with their Royal Highnesses.

In the upper left side of the panel, Phra Phrot can be seen in the palace of Maliwan, talking with Watchanisun and
Ratanamali.

2. Middle portion:

SG 767 - Part 2.jpg

The main part of the panel shows the enlarged Phaya Anuchit (Hanuman) forming a causeway to cross Phra Phrot's army over from Longka.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, BlackTuesday, for your great information you added about the Thai Ramakien set of stamps. I already used your great contribution and information when posting several of the them. I have several stamps about the Ramayana which I need information about them and I will post them as a group in the future.

Chinese Mythology - Journey to the West - the adventure of the Monkey-King (part I)

Sun Wukong, also known as the Monkey King, is a main character in the Chinese classical novel “Journey to the West”. In the novel, he is a monkey born from a stone who acquires supernatural powers through Taoist practices. After rebelling against heaven and being imprisoned under a mountain by the Buddha, he later accompanies the monk Xuanzang on a journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India.

The novel was written in the 16th century by Wu Chengen. It is believed that the novel is a criticism against the Feudal rulers in China in those days. For further reading:
Journey to the West

On December 1, 1979 the PRC issued this set of stamps which is the first set depicts the novel about Sun Wukong and, as far as I know, the first set about Chinese mythology.

Sun Wukong the monkey - King of the flowers and fruits mountains:

West 1.jpg

Battle with the Prince Necha:

West 2.jpg

Monkey King with the stolen peach of immortality:

West 3.jpg

The Monkey King in the furnace:

West 4.jpg

Battle with the white demon:

West 5.jpg

The Monkey King protects the monk Xuanzang's companions:

West 6.jpg

Battle with the Spider-women:

West 7.jpg

The journey to the West:

West 8.jpg

Eli

Post by Eli »

Hindu Mythology - the Ramayana

While in exile, Lord Rama, Sita and Lakshmana met Shurpanakha, sister of the dreadful demon Ravana, ruler of Lanka (Sri Lanka). Shurpanakha fell in love with Lord Rama but he firmly rejected her advances and offered her his brother instead. When she was also refused by the brother, she was infuriated and tried to swallow Sita, whom she regarded as her rival, but Lakshmana pounced upon her and cut off her ears and nose. Shurpanakha pleaded with Ravana that he'd marry Sita. He sent Maricha, a female-demon, in a form of deer to isolate Sita. When Rama tried to captivate the deer, Ravana used his enormous power to carry Sita away, flying with her to Lanka.

Here are a set of two stamps issued by Indonesia on August 31, 1971, publicizing the Ramayana International Festival:

Lord Rama, Sita and Maricha the deer:

Indonesia 1971 Maricha 2.jpg

Lord Rama, the demon Maricha the deer and Ravana on the background:

Indonesia 1971 Maricha.jpg

Stamp collector

Post by Stamp collector »

Thank you BlackTuesday and Eli for the detailed information on stamps and murals related to Ramayana
Collecting stamps, covers and other philatelic material anyway related to Yoga.
Other themes: Aviation, Olympics, Unusuals

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Eli wrote:
08 Jul 2020 15:59
Thank you very much, BlackTuesday, for your great information you added about the Thai Ramakien set of stamps. I already used your great contribution and information when posting several of the them. I have several stamps about the Ramayana which I need information about them and I will post them as a group in the future.
You're welcome Eli! ... I will be looking forward to your posts :)

Stamp collector wrote:
10 Jul 2020 08:08
Thank you BlackTuesday and Eli for the detailed information on stamps and murals related to Ramayana
You're welcome Stamp collector! :)

DRKKLP
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by DRKKLP »

1983 Wandjina spirit and Snake Babies

The Australian Aboriginals saw the Wandjina as a spirit of creation. Below from my collection are the 1983 Stamp Advisory Committee proofs and the Issued stamp.
ab2.JPG
Issued Stamp
AB1.JPG
Stamp Advisory Committee proofs to determine which typography should be used - Bi-bold Hel-light chosen.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

sksondhi1 wrote:
Need help in identifying the Hindu deities in this image from Prambanan temple, Indonesia.

A short-note on Prambanan Temple:

Prambanan or Rara Jonggrang is a 9th-century Hindu temple compound in Special Region of Yogyakarta, Indonesia, dedicated to the Trimurti, as Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Keeper, and Shiva the Destroyer.

The temple compound, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the largest Hindu temple site in Indonesia and the second-largest in Southeast Asia. The diversity and sophistication of the temple compounds and archaeological sites in this area are comparable to Angkor archaeological site in Cambodia.

1024px-Candi_Prambanan;_candi_Hindu_terindah_di_Asia_Tenggara 2.jpg

A temple was first built at the site around 850 CE. It was likely started by Rakai Pikatan as the Hindu Sanjaya Dynasty's answer to the Buddhist Sailendra Dynasty's Borobudur and Sewu temples nearby. It was expanded extensively by King Lokapala and Balitung Maha Sambu the Sanjaya kings of the Mataram Kingdom, and by successive Mataram kings, such as Daksa and Tulodong.

Prambanan served as the royal temple of the Kingdom of Mataram, with most of the state's religious ceremonies and sacrifices being conducted there. The urban center and the court of Mataram were located nearby, somewhere in the Prambanan Plain.

In the 930s, the court was shifted to East Java by Mpu Sindok, who established the Isyana Dynasty. That marked the beginning of the decline of the temple. It was soon abandoned and began to deteriorate. The temples collapsed during a major earthquake in the 16th century.

The Javanese locals in the surrounding villages knew about the temple ruins before formal rediscovery, but they did not know about its historical background. As a result, the locals developed tales and legends to explain the origin of temples, infused with myths of giants, and a cursed princess.

In 1918, the Dutch began reconstruction of the compound and proper restoration only in 1930. Efforts at restoration continue to this day. The reconstruction of the main Shiva temple was completed around 1953 and inaugurated by President Sukarno.

Understanding the temple compound

The Prambanan temple complex consists of three zones.

1. The Outer zone consisting of the outer periphery of the complex,

2. The Middle zone that contains hundreds of small temples and

3. The holiest Inner zone that contains eight main temples and eight small shrines.

987px-Prambanan_Temple_Compound_Map_en.svg.png

Originally there were a total of 240 temples standing in Prambanan temple compound, consisting of:

* 3 Trimurti temples: three main temples dedicated to Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma

* 3 Vahana temples: three temples in front of Trimurti temples dedicated to the vahana of each gods; Garuda, Nandi and Hamsa

* 2 Apit temples: two temples located between the rows of Trimurti and Vahana temples on north and south side

* 4 Kelir temples: four small shrines located on 4 cardinal directions right beyond the 4 main gates of inner zone

* 4 Patok temples: four small shrines located on 4 corners of inner zone

* 224 Pervara temples: hundreds of temples arranged in 4 concentric square rows; numbers of temples from inner row to outer row are: 44, 52, 60, and 68

Today, all of 8 main temples and 8 small shrines in the inner zone are reconstructed, but only 3 out of the original 224 pervara temples are renovated. The majority of them have deteriorated; what is left are only scattered stones.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

sksondhi1 wrote:

There are three sources from which some information about the bas-relief sculptures of the image has been found.

Source 1:

1024px-KITLV_40533_-_Kassian_Céphas_-_Tjandi_Prambanan_-_1889-1890.jpg

This image is from the collection of Leiden University Library and Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies, Accession number: KITLV 40533

It was photographed by Kassian Cephas (1845–1912), between 1889 and 1890.

Here it is noted as:

"Reliëfs aan de westzijde van de trap naar de Doerga-kapel in de Shiva-tempel."

That is, Reliefs on the west side of the stairs to the Doerga chapel in Shiva temple. Doerga chapel means Durga temple here.

Source 2:

11111111.jpg

This pictures is taken from the book "Java, the Garden of the East" by Eliza Ruhumah Scidmore published in 1898 (a digital copy of the original book from University of California is available on the net).

Where she has described this bas-relief as "Krishna and the Three Graces", which probably means Lord Krishna and the three Gopies.

Eliza Ruhamah Scidmore (1856–1928) was an American writer, photographer and geographer, who became the first female board member of the National Geographic Society.

Source 3:

COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Shivatempel_Prambanan_Midden-Java_TMnr_60013731.jpg

There is not much information in source 3 image, which is from Collection of the National Museum of World Cultures Foundation.

In its note about the image it is mentioned "Photos Shiva Temple, Prambanan, Central Java. Unknown photographer. Kunsthandel "J Sigrist" (Publisher). Prambanan before 08-08-1904. TM-60013731"

So, this may explain the mention of Kunsthandel J Sigrist in the cover image, that he/they was/were the publisher of this photo, from which the cover was designed.

Last of all, here are the inner zone map of the Prambanan temple compound, and cross-section image of the Shiva temple. From here we can guess about the location the bas-relief in the temple compound.

Inner zone map of the Prambanan temple compound.
Inner zone map of the Prambanan temple compound.
Cross-section image of the Shiva temple
Cross-section image of the Shiva temple

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

Wow! Thank you BlackTuesday for the detailed information on Prambanan temple, Indonesia. I highly impressed and grately appreciate the detailed research efforts put in by you. There are some postage stamps depicting bas-relief sculptures from Prambanan temple for which information is lacking . Hope you will be able to help.

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

sksondhi1 wrote:
15 Jul 2020 06:00
Wow! Thank you BlackTuesday for the detailed information on Prambanan temple, Indonesia. I highly impressed and grately appreciate the detailed research efforts put in by you. There are some postage stamps depicting bas-relief sculptures from Prambanan temple for which information is lacking . Hope you will be able to help.
You're welcome! ... I had time to do it, and made good use of it :)

I was thinking there may be stamps issued by Indonesia on the temple and it's bas-reliefs ... I'm curious to see them and will try to help!

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Lamassu - celestial being from ancient Mesopotamian religion

Bears a human head, bull's body, and wings.

Appears frequently in Mesopotamian art.

Lamassu essay and printing proofs from my collection:
lamassu.JPG
1950 Iraq essay and 1963 colour trial printing proofs imperf with issued stamp

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

BlackTuesday wrote:
15 Jul 2020 06:47
sksondhi1 wrote:
15 Jul 2020 06:00
You're welcome! ... I had time to do it, and made good use of it :)

I was thinking there may be stamps issued by Indonesia on the temple and it's bas-reliefs ... I'm curious to see them and will try to help!
Prambanan temple complex, a UNESCO World Heritage Site has appeared on number of postage stamps issued by many countries. Some of these are:

Indonesia

March 13, 1963
Indonesia1963.jpg
July 2, 1999
indonesia1999.jpg

Palau

September 3, 2015
Palau.jpg

Mozambique

June 30, 2010
Prambanan9.jpg

Togo

June 30, 2017
Togo.jpg
Togo2019.jpg

St. Martin

June 13, 2012
Stmartin.jpg

Stamps on bas-relief sculptures from Prambanan temple, I shall post next time.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, DRKKLP, for posting the Australian stamp and the related proofs. Really, I didn't know it depicting Mythic subject so thanks for the information. I like also the Lamassu stamp, essay and printing proofs. Near Eastern Mythologies are less represented in this thread (few posts, most with European stamps like from DDR) since I don't have a lot but I will see what I have and will post here soon. Hope to see more :)

Thanks BlackTuesday and sksonghi1 for the comprehensive information and the stamps about Prambanan temple complex. In the past, I posted in this thread several about this temple including a stone engraving about Ramayana which you can see here.

Women in Mythology - Paintings by Rubens

Women in Mythology, a set of stamps shows woman details from Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640) paintings, issued by Liberia on November 14, 1985:

Detail from "Venus at the Mirror", 1613-4:

Liberia 1985 Rubens Venus a.jpg

Detail from "Adam and Eve", 1597-1600:

Liberia 1985 Rubens Eve a.jpg

Detail from "Andromeda in chains":

Liberia 1985 Rubens Andromeda a.jpg

Detail from "The Three Graces", 1635:

Liberia 1985 Rubens Graces a.jpg

Detail from "Venus and Adonis", 1635-8:

Liberia 1985 Rubens Adonis a.jpg

Detail from "The Rape of the Daughters of Leucippus", c. 1617:

Liberia 1985 Rubens Leucipus a.jpg

Liberia 1985 Rubens Com a.jpg

All paintings a.jpg

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

Stamps on bas-relief sculptures from Prambanan temple, Indonesia

St. Vincent & Grenadines

Lord Rama shoots an arrow to the magical golden deer, which is actually a demon named Maricha sent by demon-king Ravana to tempt Sita and abduct her. (Already posted by Eli earlier in this thread. Repeating for the continuity).

August 16, 1993
Prambanan7.jpg

Grenada Grenadines

Ramayana bas-relief sclptures. Need help in identifying the scene.

August 13, 1993
Grenadagrenadines.jpg

Indonesia

Cerita
ramayana means Ramayana story. Need help in identifying the deities.

June 14, 2013
indonesia2013.jpg

Appreciate receiving information on stamps about the Prambanan temple and its bas-relief sclptures missing out from this thread.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Guardian Spirit in Coat of Arms of Iceland – GIANT

The Heimskringla is a collection of sagas about Swedish/Norwegian kings, histories and oral traditions. The first section tells of the mythological prehistory of the Norwegian royal dynasty.

One of the shield bearers in Iceland’s Coat of Arms is a GIANT as described in the Heimskringla. Dofri was a giant who dwelt upon a mountain named for him, the Dofrafjall.

Iceland issues a set of four shield bearers as engraved booklet stamps commencing in 1987.

My collection includes the original design essay that was used for the postage stamp design, by artist Magnusson.
Giant.JPG
1987 Iceland. Original essay of accepted design. Collage of fine pen ink stuck to thick black card.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Venus of Brassempouy

There are several old woman figurines that have no connection to Greek mythology but they are named after Venus (Aphrodite), goddess of love and beauty. One of the famous of them is the Venus of Brassempouy, a fragmentary ivory figurine from the Upper Palaeolithic, apparently broken from a larger figure at some time unknown. It was discovered in a cave at Brassempouy, France in 1892. About 25,000 years old, it is one of the earliest known realistic representations of a human face. Here are two stamps shows the Venus of Brassempouy:

Issued by France on March 8, 1976. Designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps :

France 1976 Venus a.jpg

Issued by Mali on August 24, 1994:

Mali 1994 Venus a.jpg

Front and side view of the Venus of Brassempouy (Wikipedia):

Venus of Brassempouy.jpg

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Eli wrote:
16 Jul 2020 03:09
Thanks BlackTuesday and sksondhi1 for the comprehensive information and the stamps about Prambanan temple complex. In the past, I posted in this thread several about this temple including a stone engraving about Ramayana which you can see here.
Thanks Eli! ... the stamps were nice, I will go through all the previous pages of this thread in future! ... sometimes these types of issues from African countries baffle me, because when I collect and observe a countries stamp I want to learn about things related to the respective country ... but very often they do all sort of issues unrelated to them

Thanks to sksondhi1 too, for the Prambanan stamps!
sksondhi1 wrote:
16 Jul 2020 06:27
Stamps on bas-relief sculptures from Prambanan temple, Indonesia
Indonesia

Cerita ramayana means Ramayana story. Need help in identifying the deities.

June 14, 2013

It follows in next post . . .

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

indonesia2013.jpg

The image used on the stamp or the actual bas-relief is a popular one.

The deities here are Shree Ram and Sita.

The bas-relief is situated at the Brahma Temple, Prambanan, Central Java.

1024px-Candi_Prambanan_-_060_Rama_and_Sita,_Brahma_Temple_(12041571413).jpg

This photograph from Prambanan temple compound was taken by Anandajoti Bhikkhu, a buddhist monk from Sadao, Thailand. He has wonderful flickr album pages with high-resolution images of a large selection of major Buddhist and other temples of South-East Asian region.

You can view his album pages here.

FB_IMG_1484278943289_scaled.jpg

The image has also been used as a book cover, which is on Ramayana reliefs of Prambanan temples.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Hermes – mythical messenger of the Greek gods – son of Zeus

From my exhibit:

1937 Zeppelin LZ 129 Hindenburg disaster

23 of the salvaged covers had Dutch franking. The twelve & a half cent scout Jamboree stamps from Netherlands depicts the Hermes sculpture by Praxiteles.

On landing at Lakehurst on 6 May 1937 the airship burst into flames and was destroyed in 34 seconds. Of the 17,609 pieces of mail on board, only 358 were salvaged in various burnt condition. Of these, only 182 were franked mail items. 23 of these were Dutch franking.
Attachments
Zep 1.JPG
zep 2.JPG

sksondhi1

Post by sksondhi1 »

BlackTuesday wrote:
20 Jul 2020 06:44

The image used on the stamp or the actual bas-relief is a popular one.

The deities here are Shree Ram and Sita.

The bas-relief is situated at the Brahma Temple, Prambanan, Central Java.

This photograph from Prambanan temple compound was taken by Anandajoti Bhikkhu, a buddhist monk from Sadao, Thailand. He has wonderful flickr album pages with high-resolution images of a large selection of major Buddhist and other temples of South-East Asian region.

You can view his album pages here.

The image has also been used as a book cover, which is on Ramayana reliefs of Prambanan temples.
Thanks BlackTuesday for the detailed information.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Griffin – 1861 Arms of Baden (German States)

The griffin, griffon, or gryphon is a legendary creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and sometimes an eagle's talons as its front feet.

The supporters of the coat of arms of Baden are two griffins rampant regardant argent.

From my collection

Imperforate proof in Prussian blue struck as colour proofing. Mounted on card with original handwritten confirmation of the engraver L. Kurz.
Grif.JPG
1861 Baden 9Kr imperf proof - three examples known of this proof. The 9 Kreuzer value was not issued in this colour.

RogerE
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RogerE »

I've just been browsing this thread after following up a link in the Folklore thread.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72459&start=235

The items shown here are also fascinating, and often strikingly beautiful — thanks to the regular posters :D
I'll try to visit here more often!

/RogerE :D

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

RogerE wrote:
22 Jul 2020 01:55
I've just been browsing this thread after following up a link in the Folklore thread.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72459&start=235

The items shown here are also fascinating, and often strikingly beautiful — thanks to the regular posters :D
I'll try to visit here more often!

/RogerE :D
Glad to see you here RogerE! :D ... your presence will inspire us all :)

Eli

Post by Eli »

Edit: Sorry, had a mistake in the description.
Last edited by Eli on 22 Jul 2020 19:24, edited 2 times in total.

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

In Greek mythology, Eros is the Greek god of love and sex.

1947 New Zealand Health Die Proofs

From my collection:

One die proof without value tablet, one with value tablet.
Eros.JPG
1947 HEALTH NZ Die proofs by Waterlow & Sons, recess printed, SVM paper.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps Web Site:

A new website about Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps was created by SB member from Israel Yakub99. The site depicting many stamps, each of them is accompanied with a comprehensive information and technical details. To all mythology lovers and stamps lovers in general, I strongly recommend to visit the site:

Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps

BlackTuesday

Post by BlackTuesday »

Grenadagrenadines.jpg

It was a tough one to find any information and I almost gave up.

This stamp is part of a four stamps set issued by Grenada Grenadines on 1993 International Stamp Exhibition "INDOPEX '93" - Surabaya, Indonesia. In the stamp the content of the stamp image is printed as "Ramayana relief, Panataran Temple".

Well, the stamp designers made a mistake. It is not a "Ramayana relief", in fact it is a "Krishnayana relief"

It is certainly an error!

Ramayana is about Shree Rama and his stories, who is an incarnation of God Vishnu on earth in the Treta Yuga. And Krishnayana is about Shree Krishna and his stories, who is also an incarnation of God Vishnu on earth, but in the Dwapar Yuga. They are referred as "Avatars" of God Vishnu in Hindu mythology, but from different erras.

Treta Yuga is the second of the four yugas, or ages of mankind, in the religion of Hinduism, and Dwapar Yuga is the third one.

ID0027 Panataran temple.jpg

Penataran or Panataran (Indonesian: Candi Penataran) is one of the largest Hindu temple ruins complex in East Java, Indonesia. It is believed to have been constructed between the 12th century to the 15th century.

The temple is a UNESCO World Heritage site and notable for including one the largest Indonesian collection of reliefs showing life stories of Hindu god Vishnu in different avatar. In particular, the temple site include the Rama story in the Javanese version of the epic Ramayana, as well Krishna story as depicted Triguna's Krishnayana epic poem.

The original lengthier relief of which the stamp image is a part of is as follows:

Grenada 1.jpg

This image is taken from Anandajoti Bhikkhu's wonderful flickr album, and is added version of two images. The images with his given caption is as follows:

197 Krishnayana Reliefs, Candi Penataran, Blitar District, East Java
197 Krishnayana Reliefs, Candi Penataran, Blitar District, East Java
196 Krishnayana Reliefs, Candi Penataran, Blitar District, East Java
196 Krishnayana Reliefs, Candi Penataran, Blitar District, East Java

From his album we learned about the relief being a Kirishnayana one, but details about the scene was still missing. Which will be covered in the next post :) . . . . .
Last edited by BlackTuesday on 22 Jul 2020 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

yakub99

Post by yakub99 »

Hi DRKKLP
The new-zealand stamp . It looks like Anteros, The brother of Eros.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anteros
Itzhak

DRKKLP

Post by DRKKLP »

Eli wrote:
22 Jul 2020 19:31
Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps Web Site:

A new website about Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps was created by SB member from Israel Yakub99. The site depicting many stamps, each of them is accompanied with a comprehensive information and technical details. To all mythology lovers and stamps lovers in general, I strongly recommend to visit the site:

Greek-Roman Mythology Stamps
Must be a really new site, only a small number of stamps on it and most links don't yet work. But nicely set out for the future.

yakub99

Post by yakub99 »

The site is very new.
I only put the four first gods from the olympic gods. And it took me 3 months.
I'm looking for critics and remarks for the website.
Then I will continue my endless work.
Itzhak

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”