Having trouble searching on Stampboards?

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Having trouble searching on Stampboards?

Post by MargoZ »

Admin has had Google site search facility added to this board as a paid enhancement.
This should greatly improve members ability to search content within the board.

See the Search box under the 'No Junk- No spyware-No Banner Ads ' etc text on the top of each page

Any feedback you would like to make, positive or negative, most welcome- please post to this thread.
Last edited by MargoZ on 24 Aug 2008 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

apptec
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by apptec »

Hi MargoZ,

I tried a simple search on both of these morning, the results came back with a similar number of findings. But I found the stampbaords site had the title of the topic completely displayed on the stampboards search ( where as the google search, the title is cropped, because of the lenghty..."Postage Stamp Chat Board and Stamp Bulletin Board Forum" leader in the heading.)

What I did find was that neither took you directly to the quote you were searching. Which is fine if the topic has only a handfull of replies, but I had deliberately picked an item that would be in the middle of "Hello all New Members".

Being a Google user, I have the google tool bar, which has the ability to highlight your search word in a document. This facity is invaluable. Taking you directly to the keyword you have searched on. This facility was disabled when I used the Stampboards Search tool(as I was not searching with google). But in the google search, took me directly to the keyword I was after, which was some 1200 odd posts into the thread.

Heads up to the Google search for me....if we could just get rid of the lenghty "Postage Stamp Chat Board and Stamp Bulletin Board Forum" in the findings heading.
If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem.

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Thanks for this feedback- we use Google toolbar at work and it is cetainly excellent. Re the headers, you can customise Google site search so it may be possible to do this -will follow up
heers
Margo

jeremy29
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Having trouble searching on Stampboards?

Post by jeremy29 »

Hi Margo, if you search the word "Queensland" you will find one reference for July, 3 for June and then none since November 2013. So it has missed hundreds of them between these dates as well as since 3 July. Is this happening with other search terms as well?

Jeremy

http://www.stampboards.com/search.php?keywords=queensland&te ... mit=Search

PS, checked my search (URL above) and saw this post is listed! Erratic, as nothing between 4-26 July was captured

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Jeremy remember the on-board search is case sensitive so if you search for QUEENSLAND your query may be in there! -

http://www.stampboards.com/search.php?keywords=QUEENSLAND&te ... mit=Search

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Glen. It has picked up many more but some are still missing. In your search using upper case you can see that some lower case examples have also been listed that are not picked up in a lower case search, for eg., 27 April.

Jeremy

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Well I just typed in Queensland and have over 6000 results with 40 results between 4-16 July using SB Search. It took me over 10 pages (500 results) to get back to Dec 13 hits, so I don't understand how your not seeing them. :?

(Using Google inbuilt search I have over 7600)

http://www.stampboards.com/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Queensland&start=400
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Greg and Glen. Looking at your search string Greg, I can see what I was doing wrong. I was searching queensland all lower case rather than Queensland with a capital Q! A BIT EMBARRASSING :shock:

Jeremy

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Queensland
queensland
QUEENSLAND

Using on board search will give 3 different results.

On the powerful google search at base of page it will all be the same.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”