Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Over the years I've accumulated items which are not in my main interests but which seemed to be interesting (to me). Some were acquired directly, others found in lots, collections or boxes.

I will put some of them up on this thread. If anyone has any comments, knowledge about the items or wishes to put up their own material, feel free to join in.

The first item is a block of six postally used of France 5c stamps Scott 113.

I've posted this block before on another thread, but I feel that it is the item that should start this thread:

I find blocks to be visually appealing because of their size and shape (in other word, if I see a postally used block, I'll keep it) and the design of this particular stamp is IMO a nice one too.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Re: Odds & Ends From My Collection

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #2 are two Telegraph stamps from Chile which I found included in a lot of Chile stamps.

I did some searching in the internet and came up with the following information (from the Hiscocks catalog, prices are in GBP):

1883 (1 July) Wove paper. No watermark. Perf 12 (Slightly variable). Printed by the American Bank Note Co..

Hisc. Type. Description Mint Used
H1 1 2c light brown 6.00 1.50
H2 1 10c brown olive to yellow olive 3.00 1.00
H3 1 20c deep blue 6.00 0.60
H3a on blue surfaced paper 10.00 3.00
H4 1 1P deep brown 2.50 3.00
H5 1 5P dull scarlet 8.00 6.00
H6 1 10P deep bluish green 20.00 15.00

My stamps are H2 (10c) and H3 (20c)

Hiscocks added the following note: Nos. 1-4 were used for postal purposes in 1891. The above prices refer to telegraphically used stamps. The usual telegraphic cancellation was a 17mm circle with a star in the centre and 'Telegraphos del Estado, Chile' within the rim — found in blue, black, red, etc.

I've discovered a really detailed site for world Telegraph Stamps at: https://gb-precancels.org/Telegraphs/World/index.html
Highly detailed with many scans of actual stamps and varieties such as imperfs, specimens, double and inverted overprints, etc..

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

The Stamp Atlas adds a bit information.
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=60638#p4114632

During the revolution of 1891, when northern POs were cut off from Santiago, revenue and telegraph stamps were used for postage from 21 April 1891 until exhausted; thereafter (10 July - 5 September 1891) internal mail was allowed to go free.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Kuikka, that is interesting.

If they were indeed officially permitted to be used for postage, why aren't they listed in the regular catalogs?

Cheers,
Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Michel lists them in BOB (telegraph stamps used as postage stamps) and at least old Yvert lists them, but it lists all telegraph stamps, so no special treatment there. Yvert also mentions their postal use.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item#3 is related to the previous one.

Here are three more Telegraph stamps from Chile which were in the same lot of Chile stamps.

The first of the three Telegraph stamps is a 10 centavos Telegraph stamp which appears identical in design to H2:

However, it is a much smaller version than the 1883 issue. I've scanned the two together for comparison:

The cancel does not look like a telegraph cancel.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 04 Oct 2017 08:33, edited 4 times in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

The second of the three Telegraph stamps is a 1902 2 centavos Telegraph stamp (H16) which appears identical in design and size to the 2 centavos Telegraph stamp in item#2 (H1). However appearances can be deceiving:

1902 New design. White wove paper. No watermark. Perf 12.

Hisc. Type. Description Mint Used
H16 5 2c light brown 10.00 3.00
H17 5 5c red 6.00 2.00
H18 5 10c olive green 15.00 2.50

The cancelation does not look like a telegraph cancellation.

It appears that the Coat of Arms of Chile did not include a horse but a 'Huemul' or mountain deer. The engraver decided that it was a horse and engraved a horse instead of a dear. The horse appears on the 1883 and 1894 issues.

This mistake was "corrected" in the 1902 issue by removing the horse's mane and tail. Thus "creating" an Huemul. It's easy to see the difference between the original horse and the mane less, tail less horse:

Before:

After:

The scan of the stamp in question shows the horse to be with neither mane nor tail which means that it is from the 1902 issue (H16).

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 04 Oct 2017 08:22, edited 2 times in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

This information about the horse/Huemul is also relevant for the last of the three Telegraph stamps which is a 10 centavos Telegraph stamp overprinted in 1904 for use as a postage stamp:

For this issue Scott designates two types. Scott type I described as "animal at left has neither mane or tail" and type II described as "animal at left has mane or tail". The above stamp has neither mane or tail (so it is Type I):

Therefor it is Chile Scott 61 valued at $1.50 in mint condition.

So now we know about the Huemul, but not what it really looks like.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #4 is a cover from Bahrain. It was hiding inside a lot of U.A.E. covers.

It is an air mail cover sent from Bahrain to E. Gehle of Mainz West Germany and cancelled with a 7.5.1986 circular date stamp from Bahrain. As far as I have been able to ascertain from searching the net the E. Gehle on the cover is probably Erich Gehle GMBH.

There is no return sender listed, and this is the case with the UAE covers in the lot which were addressed to E. Gehle.

The cover is franked with two 100 f. stamps Bahrain SG 229b (Scott 232) issued in 1977.

What caught my eye is the third stamp, a blue stamp with no English wording on it (the perforation is 14-1/2):

Usually this means some kind of emergency stamp such as postal tax, refugee relief, war stamp, etc..

SG Arabia lists this stamp as T194 5f. new blue, issued 1 December 1973 and says: "Nos. T192 and T194 were for compulsory use on all mail in addition to normal postage ... The tax was introduced at the beginning of October 1973 ..."

SG Arabia also states that: "T194 exists from at least six known printings. The colour shades vary as is consistent with lithograpy printing. The paper varies from thick white to glazed paper." Scott lists it as Bahrain Scott MR2 perforated 14.5 issued in 1974 (but doesn't give any additional information).

Note that the date on the cancel is May 1986, that is twelve and a half years after the tax was established. Perhaps that is the explanation for the six printings. Maybe someone knows when this tax was ended? Or has information on the different printings?

T194a (perforated 14 by 13-1/2) was issued in 1988, so I assume the tax was still in force in 1988.

I was hoping that the stamp on the cover would turn out to be T194a, whose issue date was determined by the earliest date found on a cover (10.4.88), but no such luck.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #5 is not in good shape.

It is a miniature sheet cinderella from one of the INTERPEX shows which salutes voluntary blood donors. Oddly enough it does not state the year or location of the show. For me, it has the attraction of being both a show related item and a cinderella.

My best guess, based on the subject matter, is that it is from the 1971 NY INTERPEX show.

My searches have all come out without results and I have found no information about this cinderella.

Any information about this mini sheet is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Kuikka,

Thanks. I only have the Scott Classic catalog and it does not mention postal use of these telegraph stamps.

Looks like I'll have to keep an eye open for such telegraph stamps with postal usage for my Chile collection.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi

Item#6 is a trio of bird stamps (Israel Scott 1809a-c) issued in 2010.

I'm partial to bird stamps and recent postally used commemoratives are difficult to find, and pairs are really scarce:

IMHO these are beautiful stamps. The middle stamps shows the national bird of the state of Israel, the Hoopoe.

I just recently realized that something was off with these stamps.

This is the sheet in which they were issued:

They were issued se tenant, three per row, so there cannot be any same type pairs. So how did these occur?

The answer lies in the prestige birds booklet which was issued in 2010 and includes the following three pages:

This usage is probably extremely scarce, I haven't seen any prestige items used in the post.

Unfortunately these stamps were in a lot of soaked off stamps so there is no additional information to be found.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #7 is two Australian Koala China Show M/S.

These are IMO visually attractive and also show items (one of my side interests).

The first is from 2016:

The second is from 2017:

Nice looking sheets.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #8 is a WWII era cover from Mufulira, Northern Rhodesia to Cape Town, South Africa with a 6 November 1943 cancel.

It has censor tape on the left side and was a tiny bit reduced on the right side:

It was hiding in a pile of German WWII covers at a booth in a fair in Tel Aviv and just couldn't be resisted.

The Wikipedia has this to say about Mufulira:

Mufulira ("Place of Abundance") is a town with a population of 125,336 (2007) in the Copperbelt Province of Zambia. It was established in the 1930s around the site of the Mufulira Copper Mine on its north-western edge. The town is 16 km from the border of the Democratic Republic of the Congo"

Does anyone have any information about the censor tape and the stamp on the back of the cover?

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 18 Dec 2017 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

fchd

Post by fchd »

carmel wrote:
What caught my eye is the third stamp, a blue stamp with no English wording on it (the perforation is 14-1/2):

Usually this means some kind of emergency stamp such as postal tax, refugee relief, war stamp, etc..
Some more on the Bahrain stamp in question at : https://www.stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55004
http://www.fchd.info/stamps2000/index.htm - Stamps issued during the year 2000, worldwide!

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

carmel wrote:Hi,

Item #8 is a WWII era cover from Mufulira, Northern Rhodesia to Cape Town, South Africa with a 6 November 1943 cancel.

It has censor tape on the left side and was a tiny bit reduced on the right side:

It was hiding in a pile of German WWII covers at a booth in a fair in Tel Aviv and just couldn't be resisted.

Mufulira ("Place of Abundance") is a town with a population of 125,336 (2007) in the Copperbelt Province of Zambia. It was established in the 1930s around the site of the Mufulira Copper Mine on its north-western edge. The town is 16 km from the border of the Democratic Republic of the Congo"

Does anyone have any information about the censor tape and the stamp on the back of the cover?

Cheers,

Carmel
I have no knowledge about the censor tape but can offer some observations.

The tape is bilingual and the other language looks like Afrikaans. The stamp on the back looks like the coat-of-arms of South Africa (I have no reference at hand to verify it). If my observations are correct, it was censored in South Africa.

carmel

Re: Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks FCHD for the information on the Bahrain Tax Stamp.

It filled in some gaps, but there are discrepancies with the description is SG (see my original post).

Do you know when the article was published?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Kuikka.

It does appear to be a South Africa censor.

Interesting to see that it was censored in the receiving country.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Both were British colonies. Apparently they centralized censorship operations.

Armarantine78

Post by Armarantine78 »

kuikka wrote:
carmel wrote:Hi,

Cheers,

Carmel
I have no knowledge about the censor tape but can offer some observations.

The tape is bilingual and the other language looks like Afrikaans. The stamp on the back looks like the coat-of-arms of South Africa (I have no reference at hand to verify it). If my observations are correct, it was censored in South Africa.
Yep this is definitely a South African and not Rhodesian censor.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #9 is a registered cover from Burma with SG 83-87 tied by a fancy cancel dated 6 JAN 48 with an inscription in English on the bottom of the cancel: BURMA INDEPENDENCE CELEBRATION.

There seem to be two letters following this inscription but I can't make them out.

I found this cover inside a lot of covers from Egypt. I suspect that it isn't of any value, but quite attractive IMHO and definitely an addition to my collection.

Looks like it was sent registered inside Rangoon. Perhaps it is a first day cover. It looks philatelic and there is no return address.

Perhaps Mr. Robert J. Bradley, Esq. was a collector or a dealer.

Here is a close up of the fancy cancel:

And a look at the backstamp, which has a date of 9 JAN 48 and says "RANGOON" and "REG." on top and DELIVERED on the bottom of the cancel:

Any information and comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I think the word in the postmark is DELIVERY.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Kuikka,

You’re right the back stamp reads “Delivery”.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #10 is a cover from German occupied Warsaw, Poland.

It is franked with a 3pf overprinted Germania stamp SG1 Scott N1.

The cancel is from Warsaw and dated 11.11.15.

In addition, there is a diagonally bisected local stamp with a fancy cancellation, without a date, inscribed in Polish.

This is my one and only on cover bisect:

The dated cancel:

The local cancel:

Unfortunately, the cover has some toning spots, but it has a bisected stamp which is also a local stamp.

SG has this to say:

"During the period of German occupation several municipal councils organized local postal delivery services. Most used handstamps ... but the following towns issued stamps ...: Sosnowiec, Warsaw ..."

There is nothing on the back of the cover, not even a return address and it looks to have been sent with the flap unglued.

Any information is appreciated. Especially regarding the local cancel.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Michel Germany Specialized part 1 lists these locals. Mine is 2011 edition. Unfortunately they mention nothing about bisect of this stamp. However, my 1970 edition of Michel Germany Specialized does have a picture of this stamp bisected and having a similar cancel as yours.

I'll write more a bit later with better time.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Time to continue. The image of the bisected stamp and cancellation appears to be Warsaw Seiren, which was (?) in Warsaw coat-of-arms. It shows a mermaid with some added (bird?) legs and bat wings. She has some kind of sword and shield.

Both the stamp and the cancel are inscribed K.O.M.W. = Komitet Obywatelski miasta stolecznego Warszawy = Citizens' comitee of the capital city Warsaw.

2011 Michel makes the following statement:
Halbierungen:

Postalisch gerechtfertigte Halbierungen (schräg oder senkrecht) können nur bei den 5-Gr-Werten MiNr. 1, 3, 4 (ab 21. Okt. 1915) und MiNr. 6 (ab Anfang Nov. 1915) vorkommen. Meist sins diesel angeblich für Drucksachen verwendeten Stücke nur auf Briefestücken order Sammlerbriefen vorhanden. Vorsicht vote philatelistischen Schöpfungen, Prüfung dringend erforderlich.
My German is not that good but what it seems to say is 5 gr stamps have been bisected to mail printed matter. This has taken place from 21. Oct. 1915 (Nov. 1915) onwards. One should be aware of philatelic creations.

Yours is 6 gr bisect, so, nothing about its legitimate use here. Obviously the warning about philatelic creations apply to every denomination and especially others than 5 gr denominations.

1970 Michel says following:
Halbierungen gibit es schräg und senkrecht von fast allen im Umlauf gewesenen Werten, doch sind diese angeblich für Drucksachen verwendeten Stücke meist nur auf Briefstücken oder Sammlerbriefen im Handel. Laut Kircheldort ist eine Halbierung von Nr. 8 auf Brief nachgeweisen und hat auf echt gebr. Karte (23. 2. 1916) also Zusatzfrankatur vorgelegen.
Your stamp is Nr. 8 they are talking about. I hope someone with better German will translate it, as I am again running out of time.

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

The last bit in German seems to be saying that one legitimate use of number 8 has been proven by Kircheldort. This was on a postcard (postally used, 23.2.16), where it was used to make up the proper postage rate.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Thank you Philexx for translation.

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

Hi Carmel,

According to the Barefoot Poland Locals catalogue, for the bisects:

- genuine commercial bisects must have the boxed "Wręczenie Oplacone" cancellation.

- most philatelic covers have the "K.O.m.W. POCZTA MIEJSKA" cancellation.

Michel makes the same point about the cancellation on genuine pieces.
Nigel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the information.

I am unclear as to the meaning of "philatelic covers" (philatelistischen Schöpfungen).

Does this term mean, covers made by philatelists and used in the post, favor cancelled items or outright fakes?

Unfortunately none of the references mentioned are available to me.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I would take philatelic covers to have either favour cancellation or real deliverd covers having something unusual or unnecessary to make it philatelically more interesting, such as over franking, using very old (but valid) stamps, adding stamps with no validity, having multiple bisects when whole stamps could have been used etc. I would not include fakes under philatelic covers with possible exception of back dates cancels.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

carmel wrote: Unfortunately none of the references mentioned are available to me.

Cheers,

Carmel
I claim to have no knowledge of what is available in Tel Aviv but you may try the central library. They might have Michel in their collections. In Finland the central libraries of the city / province have much better selection of stamp catalogues than the branch libraries have.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Kuikka,

I have not been able to find Michel catalogs in the libraries in Tel Aviv.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #11 is an airmail cover from Zambia.

It was sent from Luanshya (a town in Zambia, in the Copperbelt Province near Ndola, with a population of 117,579 (2008 census)) on July 3rd 1978

Once I noticed the slogan cancel I just had to buy it. It was irresistible: "IS DEATH A PASSENGER IN YOUR CAR?"

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #12 is a large size cover from St. Thomas & Prince. It is an FDC with three mini sheets for the 1982 Mundial
which was sent as a registered letter to SG in the UK. Sent by the ST&P Post.

It still has the cardboard stiffener inside. I assume the cover was used to send samples for the SG catalogue, but this is just my guess.

Each mini sheet is cancelled with a special soccer pictorial cancel dated 21.6.1982 with an additional cancel on the cover:

There is also an additional registered CDS dated 6.7.82 with D.C.T on the top:

The reverse of the cover has the details of the post:

and is back stamped with an 8.7.82 Lisbon cancel with the following
wording "CTC 1" on top and "R5 - G" below (no idea what they stand for) and "1100 Lisboa"
on the bottom of the ring.

There are not that many modern ST&P covers out there that actually went
through the mail stream. Had the sheets been removed all that would have
remained would have been FDC cancelled stamps and all the postal use
would have disappeared.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #13 is a cover which was sent by the Bagdad - Haifa Overland Mail route.

One of the exhibits at the Jerusalem World Stamp Championship was on this theme, by fellow Stampboards
member 22028, and when I saw this Overland Mail cover at the show I just couldn't resist.

The cover was sent from Bagdad to Jerusalem. It is franked with four Iraqi 1-1/2 Annas stamps (Scott #3)
with a CDS from Bagdad dated 18 DEC 24.

and includes an ink stamp:

What's unusual about this cover is that although the cover was not send by registered mail, it includes
two backstamps on the reverse:

The first is a CDS from Haifa dated 20 DE 24:

The second is a CDS from Jerusalem dated 21 DE 24:

The Jerusalem CDS also has the letter B above the date. Does anyone know what that meant?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #14 is a Zeppelin cover from Hungary.

IMHO early Hungarian airmail stamps are really attractive, especially the Icarus design
(Scott C6-C11) and the "Flight" holding propeller (Scott C32-34). The Mythical Turul
stamps are a close second.

The cover is franked with a block of five 4 Filler Mythical Turul stamps (Scott C12) and
one 2 Pengo Zeppelin stamp (Scott C22). The stamps are cancelled with several Budapest
72 CDS dated 27 MAR (1)937.

There is also another cancel on the cover with Budapest 741 CDS dated 29 MAR (1)937.
I have no idea why it was put there.

There is also a neat looking ink cachet with a Zeppelin and bi-wing planes:

Nothing on the reverse of the cover.

I've been meaning to acquire a Zeppelin cover for a long time and
this one really caught my eye.

I don't know anything about this subject so any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

The Zeppelin visited in Budapest on 29th of March. To me it appears that the cover was mailed on 27th and got second cancel on 29th, the day of departure.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Kuikka.

Perhaps someone will know what the G741G on the bottom of the Mar 29 cancel stands for.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

See here pages 8-9 https://www.hungarianphilately.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Vol39No4.pdf

Number 741 appears to be a sorting office number. This is mentioned as an aside while discussing on markings on Zeppelin cover.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Useful information on this Hungarian Zeppelin flight.

I have another Hungarian Zeppelin flight cover which I will upload soon.

Cheers,

Carmel.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

You are welcome.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #15 is an airmail cover from Sudan to Teheran, Iran sent sometime in December 1957.

The cover is franked with a 10m stamp (SG128) and a 4 piaster stamp (SG133).

These stamps are IMHO almost as attractive as the Camel Post stamps. There are pencil markings in
Arabic script (Arabic, Persian?) by the English address. Perhaps to make it easier for the mail in Iran
to deliver the letter.

The cancel is very fuzzy and hard to decipher, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

The reverse of the cover has a KHARTUM 30 DEC 1957 elliptic cancel and a 6/1/58 CDS Teheran Arrival CDS.

Perhaps someone can decipher the handwriting on the back of the cover and figure
out where the cover was mailed from.

Unfortunately I have no information about the rates.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #16 is a registered airmail cover from Phnom Penh, Cambodia sent 18.8.1970 to
the Netherlands. The two stamps are franked with a CDS dated 18.8.1970 that says
PHNOM PENH R.P. CAMBODGE (also some wording in Khmer on top of the CDS).

Oddly, I was unable to identify the stamps in my SG catalogue.

Those were turbulent times in Cambodia. Prince Sihanouk was deposed on 18 March 1970
and formed a coalition government with Lon Nol who deposed him on 9 October 1970.

My one and only commercial Cambodian cover.

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

pmc
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by pmc »

Left: Opening of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Railway
Issued 27 Nov. 1969

Right: Monkey King Hanuman Airmail
Issued 1 Sep. 1964
Regards Peter - Twitter: Peter@stampden

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks PMC.

That's:

SG 255 - 9r - Left: Opening of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Railway

SG 167 - 20r - Right: Monkey King Hanuman Airmail.

Can this be considered use in period? I would tend think so because of the nature
of the cover (it is commercial, not philatelic) and I also assume that stocks of stamps
were used for very long periods of time in late sixties Cambodia as in many third
world countries.

SG has the stamps at GBP 4.45. I wonder if having them on cover adds anything to that.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #17 is a cover from France, following liberation by Allied forces in WWII.

Cancelled with PORNICHET 9-5-45 LOIRE-INFRE CDSs

The cover is franked with four French stamps all overprinted with the word "LIBERATION":

and the "Rare" upside down "LIBERATION" overprint 5 FR stamp:

The reverse of the cover has a FROSSAY 16-5-45 LOIRE INFRE CDS

I've posted this up a while back on another thread. I still don't know to much about this. Are these stamps listed in Maury?

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I was not able to find them in Yvert & Tellier. Few observations.

This looks philatelic (4 different nicely spaced stamp to make 6 F value).

In French liberation locals they seem to prefer wording 'Libre'.

French spelling for the word appears to be Libération, so the accent is missing in the over print.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Kuikka.

I am also unable to find information on these stamps.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #18 is a neat little censored cover sent from Johannesburg to NYC. It is franked with three 1d stamps: one bilingual pair and one Afrikaans single, for a total of 3d. I haven't checked the perforations.

The cover is cancelled with a JOHANNESBURG 11.X 40. A cancel which also says: "SEND GREETING TELEGRAMS".

The South African Censor tape is (front and Back):

The back of the cover has no back stamp.

The censor tape says "small" while the South African censor tape applied to item #8 in this thread above, which is the same size cover says "large". The cover also lacks the additional censor ink stamp which was added to item #8.

Cheers,

Carmel

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”