Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: 1917 Pinang, Melayu–Chennai Chettiyar Cover

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

carmel wrote: Hi,

An area which I know nothing about, but the cover was attractive, and the censor mark was a bonus ...

Cheers,
Carmel
Postmarks:

1. Both the postmarks are the same Proud type D55 (ex-D39) datestamps, recorded used by Proud from Feb 3,1917 to May 31,1922.

2. This datestamp of Chennai GPO (est. June 1,1786) here was used as a receiving mark but it had multifarious use as transit mark, dispatch mark and cancelation.

This datestamp type with movable hour slugs was introduced in 1910 to selected Head POs/Sub POs which were not allotted datestamps with district name.

3. The Chennai delivery datestamp type with movable hour slugs was introduced in 1910
to selected Head POs/Sub POs having 3 or more deliveries in a day.

Censor Mark:

The circular PASSED BY CENSOR handstamp in violet is Baker type MH7 censor mark of Chennai Censor Station, which was used in 1916–17 on both incoming and outgoing as well as transit mail.

Postal Rate: From Oct 1,1907 to Jan 15,1922, the suraface rate from Straits Settlements to India was 4c per 28.35gm (1oz), which was paid by Straits Settlements 1913 4c SG 197.

It was common practice among Indians to affix the stamps over the sealed envelope flap to deter opening the envelope and stealing of the contents during transit.

Destination: Coral Merchant Street in Muttiyalpettai area of Chennai was a bustling center of the Nattukkottai Chettiyar community.

The street had (and still has) several ornate mansions built by the Chettiyars.

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: Baker Type MH7 Censor Mark of Chennai CS

Here is an example of Baker type MH7 censor mark of Chennai CS on a 1916 Pinang, SS–Kilasevalpatti Chettiyar cover (Robert Gray Coll.).

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: Baker Type MH6 Censor Mark of Chennai CS

This censor mark is different from the previous Passed By Censor mark, and does not indicate where the cover was censored.
I do not have access to the literature which would enable me to determine the answer to this question.

Cheers,
Carmel
The circular PASSED BY CENSOR No.11 handstamp in violet is Baker type MH6 censor mark of Chennai Censor Station, which was used in 1915–16 only on incoming mail.

Ref. A Catalog of Indian Censorship 1914–1920
Alan Baker.
Chavril Press, Obar Neithich, Scotland 1994
Madras; p.16

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Post by nigelc »

carmel wrote: Is there a good catalog for Belgian Congo and the successor states, splinter states, etc. in English, and if not in English, in some other language which will have such information?
Hi Carmel,

Your best bet is probably Part 2 of "OBP-COB Official Belgium Stamp Catalogue 2020" which deals with the Belgian colonies and ex-colonies.

This is in Flemish/Dutch and French.
Nigel

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thank you Joy.

I now have another book to add to my library.

I have googled the Chettiyars and it makes for interesting reading. The historic mansions that they built are impressive.

Do you know if the Madras delivery cancel was DELI(very) or DEL(iver)Y or something else entirely?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Nigel.

I have heard of this catalog before, but Flemish/Dutch and French are a tough proposition for me.

This is not something I would buy without a look at the contents, to try and figure out if I could work with these languages given the level of detail and the illustrations.

Cheers,

Carmel

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: British India Delivery Postmark

Do you know if the Madras delivery cancel was DELI(very) or DEL(iver)Y or something else entirely?

Cheers,
Carmel
It is always DELY.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Mods, I stand corrected, the MADRAS delivery CDSs should be MADRAS DELY rather than MADRAS DELI

Kindly correct this error and change DELI to DELY in my three previous posts (items #76, 77 and 78).

Thanks,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #79 is an airmail cover sent from Libya in 1993 to the U.S..

The cover states that it was sent from the Libyan Philatelic Service, yet the address has been hidden with a black marker.

It is franked with five stamps, from right to left:

Two 70 dh stamps (Scott 1203c (SG 1535) and Scott 1203h (SG1546)) from the 15 July 1984 National Soccer Championships issue.

One 50 dh stamp (Scott 1268h, SG 1729) from the 15 July 1985 Mushrooms issue.

One 200 dh stamp (Scott 1460, SG 2108) from the 1 October 1992 Oasis' issue.

One 50 dh stamp (Scott 1439, SG 2070) from the Tripoli International Fair issue.

Here is a close up of the group of stamps:

The stamps are tied to the cover by three blurry CDSs.

I cannot decipher the cancels, except for the date, which is 12 - 1 - 93. Perhaps someone who can read Arabic will have better results.

The back of the cover is puzzling. The return address has been hidden with a black marker.

Also there are three violet hand stamps which are a mystery. Perhaps these are censor marks, perhaps something else.

The first hand stamp looks like "ES" or maybe "E5" within a circle.

The second hand stamp is too blurry for me.

The third hand stamp is "K6" within a barely discernible circle.

What are these marks? First time I've seen such marks. Were they added in Libya or in the US?

Cheers,

Carmel

Eli

Post by Eli »

carmel wrote:The stamps are tied to the cover by three blurry CDSs.

I cannot decipher the cancels, except for the date, which is 12 - 1 - 93. Perhaps someone who can read Arabic will have better results
Hi, I can read the first word of the postmark. It reads "Tarablus" (Tripoli طرابلس)

The Arabic word on the cover's bottom reads "America".

Regards

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Eli.

You've got eagle eyes, that's for sure.

It does seem logical that the Philatelic Service was located in the capital, Tripoli.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #80 is a bit of a mystery.

Joint Belgium and Switzerland Cover
Joint Belgium and Switzerland Cover

It is a cover franked with one Switzerland military stamp (Flight Group 14?) on the upper left corner and one Belgium semi-postal stamp Scott B258 (SG 870) 40c+5c Lierre bright red violet from the Belfries set, issued on December 1st 1939, on the upper right corner.

Here is a close up of the stamps:

Switzerland Military Stamp
Switzerland Military Stamp
Scott Switzerland B258 (SG 870)
Scott Switzerland B258 (SG 870)

The Swiss military stamp (I've also seen them described as Swiss soldier stamps) is tied to the cover by a Circular Cancel which reads: "FLIEGER KP. Felpost" surrounding a numeral "14":

img1487.jpg

The Belgian stamp is tied to the cover by two 24 IV 1940 POSTES MILITAIRES BELGIQUES BELGIE LEGERPOSTERIJ CDSs:
img1485.jpg
img1486.jpg

Nothing on the back of the cover

img1488.jpg

The cover also has a typewritten bi-color (red and black) one line inscription: "Armee belge - Armee Suisse"

I believe that this could have been some kind of commemorative cover, perhaps for a joint exercise or course, or an official visit. Oddly enough, the cancels are dated 24 April 1940. The Germans invaded Belgium on the 10th of May 1940 and Belgium surrendered on 19th of May 1940, so this cover was issued just a short time prior to the invasion.

I could not find any information on Monsieur Nawratil from Fribourg.

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Another curious fact regarding Item #80.

It was mailed to me by registered mail with Deutsche Post, on April 5th 2019. After waiting for a long time for the letter to arrive, I was refunded the purchase price, I believe around June 2019.

Then, the registered letter arrived in my mailbox on the 6th of May 2020.

I informed the vendor and repaid him for the order, and inquired if, perhaps, the letter had been returned to him and had been re-sent by him to me.

Here is his reply:

"thank you for the message. The tracking number is the original one which was picked up here on April 5th 2019 by the German post so the letter effectively has been en route for more than a year, quite a special letter."

A special letter indeed.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #81 is a set of two Mini Sheets from Rwanda.

They are Rwanda Scott 622-3 (SG MS639a-b) issued in 17.3.1975 as part of the 1975 Antelopes set.

Rwanda Scott 622 (SG MS639a) 40 fr Impalas Mini Sheet
Rwanda Scott 622 (SG MS639a) 40 fr Impalas Mini Sheet

Rwanda Scott 623 (MS639b) 60 fr Greater Kudu Mini Sheet
Rwanda Scott 623 (MS639b) 60 fr Greater Kudu Mini Sheet

Scott 622 (SG MS639a) has a single 40 fr Impalas stamp and Scott 623 (MS639b) has a single 60 fr Greater Kudu stamp.

I purchased them because IMHO they are really attractive, almost like miniature works of art.

For some reason these mini sheets have a high catalogue value. A Scott catalogue value of USD 50 and an SG catalogue value of GBP 40, for the pair in MNH condition.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #82 is another set of two Mini Sheets from Rwanda. This time with a bird theme.

They are Rwanda Scott 660-1 (SG MS668a-b) issued in 20.6.75 as part of the 1975 African Birds set.

Rwanda Scott 660 (SG MS668a) has a single 40 fr Flamingos Mini Sheet
Rwanda Scott 660 (SG MS668a) has a single 40 fr Flamingos Mini Sheet

Rwanda Scott 661 (MS668b) has a single 60 fr Crowned Cranes Mini Sheet
Rwanda Scott 661 (MS668b) has a single 60 fr Crowned Cranes Mini Sheet

Rwanda Scott 660 (SG MS668a) has a single 40 fr Flamingos stamp and Rwanda Scott 661 (MS668b) has a single 60 fr Crowned Cranes stamp.

Love those cranes.

Again, these mini sheets have a high catalogue value. A Scott catalogue value of USD 40 and an SG catalogue value of GBP 29, for the pair in MNH condition. The SG catalogue referred to here and in the previous post is the North-East Africa catalogue 1st Edition (2013).

I am curious as to the catalogue values of these mini sheets and the pair of mini sheets in item #81. Are they due to low printing runs, or is it the topics? Perhaps some other reason. Sadly, Scott and SG do not list amounts printed. What would be the market value of these mini sheets?

Anyway, I am pleased with my antelopes and African birds.

I've just noticed that the date on the slip of paper by the Crowned Cranes MS in the scan is incorrect, ignore it.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 16 Jul 2020 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #84 is a registered air mail cover sent from Lodz, Poland to Brussels, Belgium in 9.6.47.

Registered air mail cover sent from Lodz, Poland to Brussels, Belgium in 9.6.47.
Registered air mail cover sent from Lodz, Poland to Brussels, Belgium in 9.6.47.

The cover is franked with a single imperforate 5 Zloty Bedzin Castle stamp (Scott 392 SG 568) and a vertical pair of imperforate 10 Zloty Lanckrona Castle stamps (Scott 395 SG 570), all issued on September 1, 1946.

SG has different issue dates, 13.8.46 for the 5 Zloty stamp (assuming that I have correctly identified it as SG 568 rater than SG 568a) and 16.12.46 for the 10 Zloty stamp.

The cover is cancelled with four LODZ 10 -9.6.47.-8 *ł* CDSs. I am uncertain that this actually is the letter between the stars, and any help in identifying it will be appreciated. I have learnt from my thread on Polish cancels, this is a cancel from post office 10 in the city of Lodz.

Here is a closeup of the cancel:

LODZ 10 -9.6.47.-8 CDS
LODZ 10 -9.6.47.-8 CDS

Nothing interesting on the back of the cover.

img1498.jpg

I found this cover to be interesting because of the "Kontrola dewizowa / przeprowadzona" hand stamp (which translates to: foreign exchange control carried out) on the front of the cover, indicating that it had passed currency control/customs censorship.

Polish "Kontrola dewizowa przeprowadzona" currency control hand stamp
Polish "Kontrola dewizowa przeprowadzona" currency control hand stamp

First such hand stamp I've seen so far.

Perhaps this should not be called a censor mark, as I am uncertain if this action qualifies as censorship. Perhaps a customs mark?

Cheers,

Carmel

Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Carmel,I have just found this thread. Some lovely Rawanda animal and bird miniature sheets that deserve wider exposure. Keep up the good work. I hope that there is a lot more to come. I look forward to watching this thread.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

carmel wrote:
16 Jul 2020 05:51
Hi,

Item #84 is a registered air mail cover sent from Lodz, Poland to Brussels, Belgium in 9.6.47.

I found this cover to be interesting because of the "Kontrola dewizowa / przeprowadzona" hand stamp (which translates to: foreign exchange control carried out) on the front of the cover, indicating that it had passed currency control/customs censorship.

First such hand stamp I've seen so far.

Perhaps this should not be called a censor mark, as I am uncertain if this action qualifies as censorship. Perhaps a customs mark?

Cheers,

Carmel
Most collectors would probably not consider this a "censor mark" but, of course, they can still be interesting to collect!

Here are a few examples of Poland censor marks from the period (or slightly earlier):

Having said the above here is a quote from europhil (RIP) and I guess he knew what he was talking about!

"Another censor type to look out for is Currency Censorship -
"Kontrole Dewizowa Przeprowadizona" - sometimes handwritten
and/or abbreviated."

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Waffle,

Glad you like the thread.

I'll definitely continue adding to it.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi OldDuffer1,

I assume that the Polish censor marks on the last two covers are the numbers hand stamped on the covers.

Odd that there is no tape for resealing the covers.

Anyway, I see that the question of whether the "Kontrola dewizowa / przeprowadzona" hand stamp is a censor mark or not is still open.

Cheers,

Carmel

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

carmel wrote:
17 Jul 2020 03:25
Hi OldDuffer1,

I assume that the Polish censor marks on the last two covers are the numbers hand stamped on the covers.

Odd that there is no tape for resealing the covers.

Anyway, I see that the question of whether the "Kontrola dewizowa / przeprowadzona" hand stamp is a censor mark or not is still open.

Cheers,

Carmel
Yes, the one in the circle is apparently "Type1" and the numbers alone "Type2". Also there is apparently, amongst those in the know, a debate as to whether this should be considered "Military Censorship" or "Civil Censorship"!

The lack of tape or signs of opening presumably means that these were "passed unexamined".

As far as what is called a "censor mark" -there isn't any definition- I guess it depends on what you collect!

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

What is considered a censored cover and what is considered censorship of the mail is difficult to define.

I noticed that I accidentally jumped from item #82 to #84, so this item shall be item#83, and then I'll move on to item #85.

Item #83 is a cover sent from Brussels, Belgium to Lumberg, Netherlands in 1945.

It is another example of economic censorship of the mail, customs control.

cover sent from Brussels, Belgium to Lumberg, Netherlands in 1945
cover sent from Brussels, Belgium to Lumberg, Netherlands in 1945

The cover is franked with a horizontal pair of the 1 Fr Lion Rampant stamps (Scott 328 SG 1068A) issued 10.11.1944.

The stamps are tied to the cover by a 15-16 5 V 1945 4 BRUXELLES 4 BRUSSEL CDS. Here is a close up of the cancel:

A horizontal pair of the 1 Fr Lion Rampant stamps (Scott 328 SG 1068A) issued 10.11.1944 tied to the cover by a 15-16 5 V 1945 4 BRUXELLES 4 BRUSSEL CDS
A horizontal pair of the 1 Fr Lion Rampant stamps (Scott 328 SG 1068A) issued 10.11.1944 tied to the cover by a 15-16 5 V 1945 4 BRUXELLES 4 BRUSSEL CDS

There is also a slogan cancel to the left of the stamps:

img1501.jpg

The cover has been opened and resealed with a customs control tape on the left side. The controller tied the tape to the cover with his signature and a round black hand stamp censor mark with the number 576 within a circle.

Here is a close up of the tape, the signature and the hand stamp, rotated for a better view:

Belgian Customs Control Tape
Belgian Customs Control Tape

I am hoping some board members can give us more information on this item.

The back of the cover shows the rest of the tape and another "576" hand stamp.

img1503.jpg

I wonder what they were looking for. Not much would fit into a small size cover like this.

Cheers,

Carmel

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”