Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Re: Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Post by CMJ »

My French is rather rusty but, I believe, the CNE (Caisse nationale d’épargne) is the National Savings Bank and this is a slogan promoting awareness of it.

Chris.

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Victor and CMJ.

I believe it reads something like: Be Far-Sighted the National Savings Bank.

Probably makes more sense in French.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #36 is an air mail cover sent from Rarotonga, Cook Islands to Jerusalem Israel.

The cover is franked with six stamps from the 1949 issue: a verticle pair of the 1/2d (SG 150), and one each of the 1d (SG 151), 2d (SG 152), 3d (SG 153) and the 8d (SG 156) stamps. Postage totals at 15d. I have no idea what the rates were from Cook Islands to Israel.

The stamps are tied to the cover by two RAROTONGA 26 JA 62 COOK ISLANDS CDSs.

The last two stamps could be with watermark varieties. The 3d stamp also has a paper variety.

The back of the cover shows that the sender was the Chief Postmaster. So this is a philatelic cover(?) or just a cover that was sent from the postmaster to a collector?

There is a smudged back stamp, a JERUSALEM 2-3-62 CDS

A neat little cover. The only one from the Cook Islands to Israel I've seen so far.

Also, the date on the Roratonga CDS, 26 JA 62, is the same as my birth date.

My 3rd edition Eastern Pacific SG catalog has the used stamps at GBP 13.25 total. What is the value of this cover relative to the individual used stamp values?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #37 is an attractive little cover sent from an Italian Military Post (No. 65) to Pola. It is a bit of a puzzle, as will be explained below.

It is franked with two 50c stamps overprinted with P.M. (Posta Militare). These stamps are identifein in Scott as military airmail stamps (Scott MC1). The two stamps are tied by a POSTA MILITARE N. 65 6-9.43 CDS and an additional POSTA MILITARE N. 65 6-9.43 CDS.

I can't figure out the handwritten lines on the front of the cover. I believe that "Scuola" means school and that Pola is the city to which the cover was addressed.

The back of the cover has the sender's details and a round purple hand stamp with "69" in the middle and "Stalag X B gepruft" around it.

Wikkipedia has this to say about Stalag X B:

"Stalag X-B was a World War II German Prisoner-of-war camp located near Sandbostel in Lower Saxony in north-western Germany. Between 1939 and 1945 several hundred thousand POWs of 55 nations passed through the camp. Due to the bad conditions in which they were housed, thousands died there of hunger, disease, or were killed by the guards. Estimates of the number of dead range from 8,000 to 50,000."

"Italians, who came here after September 1943, were deemed traitors by both the German guards and the other prisoners and were at the low end of the hierarchy. ... the Italian prisoners, who were mostly soldiers who did not surrender to the German army after the Cassibile armistice ..."

The Cassibile armistice was signed on 3 September 1943 - three day before this cover was cancelled.

Military Post 65 served Italian military units in the Balkans and was stationed variously in Albania and Greece. In September 1943 it was located in Larissa (Greece).

So the puzzle is how did a letter sent by an Italian soldier from an army post in Greece wind up being censored by the censor at Stalag X B in North West Germany? Were the soldiers transported to the Stalag following the Cassibile armistice? The sacks of mail? What happened to M.P. 65?

The cover also had an intact letter inside. I do not understand Italian, so I cannot glean any information from its contents. I will post the letter in a separate post.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

This is the letter which was enclosed inside item #37 (the Italian Military Post cover) from the previous post:

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #38 is a censored letter sent from Elisabethville Birtley, Co. Durham England to Rotterdam Holland.

The cover was franked with a 2-1/2d blue stamp (SG 372(?), could also be 371 or 371a depending on the shade) and the stamp was tied to the cover with a 7 OC 18 ELISABETHVILLE BIRTLEY Co. DURHAM CDS.

The cover was censored and sealed with censor tape and was back stamped with two ROTTERDAM 18 10 18 CDSs and a hand stamp: "A 240" within a rectangular border.

There is some interesting history behind this cover.

"During the First World War, this small industrial village [Birtley] was at the heart of Allied diplomatic relations when it became a central hub for thousands of Belgian soldiers and their families."

"Birtley was chosen as the site of two munitions factories, staffed entirely by Belgian soldiers, their families and other refugees. The resulting community was nicknamed “Elisabethville”, after the Belgian queen Elisabeth of Bavaria."

"Elisabethville was the product of a unique diplomatic collaboration between the British and Belgian governments. The British built the munitions factories and the workers’ accommodation, and then turned the entire site over the Belgian government, who then provided the workforce."

"In return for the munitions from the factories, the British government allowed a sovereign Belgian “colony” to be temporarily established in Durham."

"By December 1918, the majority of the workers had been repatriated back to Belgium."

The quoted passages are from: https://beyondthetrenches.co.uk/remembering-elisabethville-th ... of-durham/

This means that the cover was sent out from the Belgian colony near the end of the colony's existence.

It seems that Elisabethville was more than just a nickname and that it had a working P.O. named Elisabethville Birtley.

I've found the following information in Wikipedia:

"The Colony (as the Belgians called it) was laid out somewhat on the lines of a garden city with broad streets and open spaces and was provided with a grocer and butcher, several other shops based in people’s homes; a Roman Catholic church; a 100-bed hospital; a laundry and bathhouse. There was also a school for about 600 pupils. There was a sovereign British Sub-Post Office, on sovereign Belgian soil, selling British stamps and postal orders, etc., but staffed by Belgian postal workers. There was also a football pitch. The swimming team made use of the River Wear. For live entertainment of various sorts, the colonists had the use of the Birtley Hall, in peace-time the village's cinema and theatre. There was little need for the Belgians to go into Birtley."

This is the first that I've heard of this "colony" on English soil.

Curious as to the hand stamp on the reverse.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Mods, can you kindly correct the name in the description of the CDS in the the second paragraph of the previous post from "ELLIZABETHVILLE" to "ELIZABETHVILLE" (with one "L" only) and then delete this post?

Thanks,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #39 is a cover from the Canal Zone.

It is cancelled with a DEC 2 1964 BALBOA C.Z. CDS with a killer cancellation with the number "2" to the right of the CDS.

Franked with a single 5c Scott 139 stamp which is cancelled with an empty oval.

Nothing interesting on the reverse

The oval cancel on the stamp has me stumped. Is this a hand cancel or has someone drawn the oval, and what is it's meaning?

It looks too good to be freehand, so if drawn rather than struck, it may have been done using a stencil.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #40 is a cover from Sweden. I purchased it because it seemed like a cutout had been pasted on the cover and used for postage.

A closer look at the "cutout":

The cover is cancelled with a machine cancel with three STOCKHOLM 16.1.45 AVG(?) LBR CDSs between wavy lines

However, it turns out that this is not a cutout at all, but is a military stamp which is unlisted in Scott.

SG Scandinavia (p. 345) states as follows:

"Military Reply Franks. These were issued under the flap of military envelopes with gum. They had only to be cut out by the recipient and affixed to ordinary letters sent in reply."

The stamp on this cover is SG M264 issued in 1943.

To illustrate the above, I've added a scan of an earlier issue military frank which shows how this was carried out.

Clever, and fair to families of servicemen who were not well off.

Always something new to discover.

Cheers,

Carmel

andy66
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by andy66 »

carmel wrote:Hi,

Item #37 is an attractive little cover sent from an Italian Military Post (No. 65) to Pola. It is a bit of a puzzle, as will be explained below.

It is franked with two 50c stamps overprinted with P.M. (Posta Militare). These stamps are identifein in Scott as military airmail stamps (Scott MC1). The two stamps are tied by a POSTA MILITARE N. 65 6-9.43 CDS and an additional POSTA MILITARE N. 65 6-9.43 CDS.

I can't figure out the handwritten lines on the front of the cover. I believe that "Scuola" means school and that Pola is the city to which the cover was addressed.

The back of the cover has the sender's details and a round purple hand stamp with "69" in the middle and "Stalag X B gepruft" around it.

Wikkipedia has this to say about Stalag X B:

"Stalag X-B was a World War II German Prisoner-of-war camp located near Sandbostel in Lower Saxony in north-western Germany. Between 1939 and 1945 several hundred thousand POWs of 55 nations passed through the camp. Due to the bad conditions in which they were housed, thousands died there of hunger, disease, or were killed by the guards. Estimates of the number of dead range from 8,000 to 50,000."

"Italians, who came here after September 1943, were deemed traitors by both the German guards and the other prisoners and were at the low end of the hierarchy. ... the Italian prisoners, who were mostly soldiers who did not surrender to the German army after the Cassibile armistice ..."

The Cassibile armistice was signed on 3 September 1943 - three day before this cover was cancelled.

Military Post 65 served Italian military units in the Balkans and was stationed variously in Albania and Greece. In September 1943 it was located in Larissa (Greece).

So the puzzle is how did a letter sent by an Italian soldier from an army post in Greece wind up being censored by the censor at Stalag X B in North West Germany? Were the soldiers transported to the Stalag following the Cassibile armistice? The sacks of mail? What happened to M.P. 65?

The cover also had an intact letter inside. I do not understand Italian, so I cannot glean any information from its contents. I will post the letter in a separate post.

Cheers,

Carmel
Hi Carmel,
I can help you because I own a letter similar to yours (PM 65) and have already made my research.
The letter was correctly franked with stamps used by military in 1943 (overstamped PM) for an airmail letter (50 c. letter + 50 c. airmail). It was common to use both airmail or standard stamps indifferently, provided that the rate was correct.
You correctly stated that the letter was sent from Larissa (Greece) to Pola (Italy formerly, now Croatia). It happened that at the beginning of November, 1943 most of the postal despatches did not leave the greek territory before the Armistice happened between Italy and the allied forces.
Almost immediately, on September 8th, the German forces that were stationed in Greece toghether with the italians did arrest them without resistance (the only resistance happened on the island of Cefalonia where the italians were completely annihilated).
All italian soldiers were sent to german prison camps and, knowing the german efficiency, all the outstanding postage (departure and arrival) was sized and also sent to Germany (probably to Sandbostel) to be censored and eventually sent to final destination.
These documents are interesting and not very common, many of them do not have arrival marks and are still complete with inside text, so maybe has never been delivered (mine also).
Finally, I have read most of the letter and there is nothing of historical relevance in it, just personal information.

I hope this helps
Andrea
Andy66
Friuli - Italy

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the information. This is really useful.

It does indeed seem logical that the Germans would have rounded up all the available mail to censor it once the armistice had been signed, so this explains the date on the cover.

Cheers

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #41 is a set of three stamps recently issued by Israel Post commemorating "Trees of our Land".

The first of the set is a tree known as a Katlav. It has a distinctive dark red bark and really stands out in the forest. These trees were not common, and as children before television and other diversions we used to spend many, many hours in the woods in the Carmel mountains, and we knew the locations of all the nearby Katlavs.

The second tree is known as a Tavor Oak, named after Mount Tavor (Mount Tabor in the Lower Galilee, which is also known in Christian tradition as the Mount of Transfiguration). It is believed to be the Oak of Bashan mentioned in the Old Testament.

The third tree is known as Klil Ha-choresh (crown of the forest). It has beautiful pink lilac flower growing directly out of the branches and really stands out in the woods and can be seen for miles. It is called a Judas Tree in English.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #42 is another censored Italian cover.

The cover is franked with a 25c deep green Victor Emmanuel III definitive (Scott 218) and is tied by a MILANO 19-4-41 CDS FERROVIA CORR. CDS and a three line slogan cancel: "2A GIORNATA / DELLA TECNICA / 4 MAGGIO XIX". Whatever that means. The CDS must have been damaged so that the date was handwritten into the CDS.

It is addressed to the Marine Ministry (Navy Ministry?) in Rome and has a circular 21-4-41 CENSURA MINISTERO DELLA MARINA hand stamp and a 10 A within a circle hand stamp

The back of the cover is also stamped with these two censure hand stamps.

It seems that this cover was censured at the ministry rather than at the regular censure facilities.

I am curious as to FERROVIA CORR. and the slogan cancel and the censure.

Cheers,

Carmel

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by vicaf60 »

Judging from the information available in the Net, it's a rather common type of a calendar date cancel. It seems to be manually applied to incoming mail at the post office at the railway station in Milano (ferrovia corr = railway (delivered) correspondence).
It consists of 2 parts - a round calendar date stamp and a rectangular advertising "meter", in this case, commemorating the 2nd week of technical developments, possibly, started on May 4, 1941 - the Roman figure XIX means the 19th year of the fascist rule in Italy.
The round stamp contains hours when mail was processed (19-20), and the year - (19)41 and, again, XIX - the 19th fascist year.
The exact date (12-4-41) is hand written here, in other stamps present in the Internet, it contains the day and the month, printed mechanically - see the same cds here: http://www.bollatrice.de/docm/milano1941.php

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Victor. A neat site for this type of slogan cancel.

Looking at the examples on the site, I've noticed that the CDSs of the covers shown there are complete and have not had the date written in handwriting inside the cancel.

So, I still assume that the day and month mechanism in the canceler was broken or missing.

As for the date, it could be 12-4-41 or not. Really hard to decipher. Perhaps a zero was corrected to a 2 (or a 9).

Cheers,

Carmel

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Upon a closer view, I would say it's April 19 which perfectly fits the arrival date of April 21, 1941

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

I suppose the cersorship marks may be explained by the fact that the letter was not addressed to the Navy Ministry (Ministero Marina), but to the Italian battleship Littorio (Nave in Italian means ship).
It seems to be a rather common practice to send mail to some military units through the Ministry in Rome rather than directly.
In April 1941, the Littorio might be staying somewhere in a naval base after her repair upon being torpedoed in the battle of Taranto (she left the docks after the repair on March 11, 1941, and did not participate in active actions until August that year. See more details on the Littorio here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_battleship_Littorio

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Victor.

It seems I've acquired a letter sent to an Italian battleship. That's a first for my collection.

Interesting reading on the ship itself on the site you've listed.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #43 is a little cover sent by military field post from Krasnostaw, Poland. I am uncertain in which country this place is today and what is it's current name.

It is not franked and is cancelled with a K.uK.??? KRASNOSTAW 29 III. 17 CDS and a feint purple hand stamp (perhaps a censor stamp?).

I am hoping someone can clear up the missing/feint stamps.

Nothing special on the back of the cover. Perhaps some information on the identity of the sender and the army unit.

But something special inside, the letter that the soldier sent back. I believe that it is written in Czech.
Perhaps something may be learned by the it's contents.

Always nice to fine the correspondence inside. I assume that the date of the letter is 25 March 1917.

Hard to believe but it's a bit more than 100 years old.
I have another cover from the same person with similar cancels which I'll post next, and it clears up some of the missing details regarding the cancels.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 08 Jun 2019 06:28, edited 1 time in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #44 is another little cover sent by military field post from Krasnostaw, Poland.

It too is not franked and is cancelled with a K.uK.???STAMP KRASNOSTAW 29 III. 17 CDS and a purple hand stamp.

The day and month on the CDS are unclear but I believe that this cover was sent on the same date as the previous one (item #43) as it was written on the 26th, to the same recipient, and was most probably handed over to be mailed together with the first cover.

The purple hand stamp is much clearer. I can only partially decipher it: "K. u. K. Kreisgo?darm???Kommando KRASNOSTAW".

The back of the cover:

A bit more details in handwriting, but I couldn't figure it out.

And the letter itself which I believe to have been dated 26 March 1917.

Cheers,

Carmel

ikanek

Post by ikanek »

carmel wrote: I am hoping someone can clear up the missing/feint stamps.

Nothing special on the back of the cover. Perhaps some information on the identity of the sender and the army unit.

But something special inside, the letter that the soldier sent back. I believe that it is written in Czech.
Perhaps something may be learned by the it's contents.
Yes, it is written in Czech. The contents are personal things only, so of no importance to the postal history. It is addressed to the soldier´s sister.

ikanek

Post by ikanek »

carmel wrote: The purple hand stamp is much clearer. I can only partially decipher it: "K. u. K. Kreisgo?darm???Kommando KRASNOSTAW".

The cancel reads as K. u K. Kreisgendarmeriekommander (o?), KRASNOSTAW.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks ikanek. Can you decipher the soldier's name and the unit he belonged to from the information of the back of the covers?

Cheers,

Carmel

vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

krasnostaw is in the present-day Ukraine, in Volyn region.
See some document on k.u.k. Kreiscommando in Krasnostaw here - https://polona.pl/item/amtsblatt-des-k-u-k-kreiskommandos-in ... o:metadata
It's in German, so I can't read it, possibly there's something on this unit (I suppose it's some police unit).

k.u.k. is an abbreviation for "kaiserlich und königlich" = imperial and royal

The dispatch cds reads K.u.K. Etappenpostamt Krasnostaw

I believe both stamps belong to Austrian field post

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

The postmarked as I read them, appear to say: K.u.K. ETAPPEN POST AMT

K.u.K. = Kaiserlich und Könlige = Imperial and Royal (Austrian)

ETAPPEN POST AMT = I think this is some type of field post office.

As I am away from home I cannot check the spellings from my reference books. Apologies for all and any spelling mistakes.

EDIT: Victor got first.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Victor, kuikka and ikanek.

I believe that that the wording on the CDS is: K.u.K. Etappenpostamt Krasnostaw

Which translates to: K.u.K. Base post office Krasnostaw

And the purple hand stamp reads: K. u K. Kreisgendarmeriekommando, KRASNOSTAW

Which translates to: K.u.K. District Gendarmerie Command Krasnostaw

As for the identity of Krasnostaw, there are several possibilities, depending on the spelling and the language.

Krasnostaw (ukr. Красностав ) is a village in Ukraine , in the Volyn region , in the Vladimir region. In 2001, it had 515 inhabitants.

Krasnystaw [krasˈnɨstaf] (Ukrainian: Красностав, Krasnostav) is a town in eastern Poland with 19,750 inhabitants (29 March 2011). Situated in the Lublin Voivodeship (since 1999), previously in Chełm Voivodeship (1975–1998). It is the capital of Krasnystaw County.

Cheers,

Carmel

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj Carmel,

The letter with #43 is dated 25th March 1917. The letter with #44 is dated 26th JANUARY 1917.

The sender has added Polsko (Poland) to his address on the flap, but that is not conclusive, as some towns were first Polish and then Ukrainian after WW1. Neverthless I think it likely this is the city now in present-day Poland.

Cheers,

Honza

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks honza.

As I've said, my Czech is rusty.

So this means that the chronology should be corrected.

The letter enclosed in Item #44 is dated 26 January 1917 (no 26 March) and therefore the CDS may be read as 30(?) I. 17.

The letter enclosed in item #43 is dated 25 March 1917 and the CDS reads 29 III. 17.

Perhaps someone will be able to decipher the names of the sender and receiver and the address. I believe the sender's first name may have been František.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #45 is a cover sent from Barbados to the Netherlands.

It is franked with a blue 2-1/2d stamp (SG233, although there is also a 233a light aquamarine variety)

IMO simply a beautiful stamp.

The cover is cancelled with a 19 SEP 1934 BARBADOS G.P.O. CDS and with a three line slogan cancel: "BARBADOS FOR / ALL-YEAR-ROUND / SUNSHINE AND BATHING"

Nothing interesting in the back of the cover.

The slogan cancel is what originally captured my interest. However, while scanning the cover, I discovered an additional hand stamp on the front of the cover.

A faint black hand stamp with "C" within a rectangular frame with clipped corners (making an octagonal frame).

This mark is a mystery. Is it some kind of censor mark? It does not look like a postman's mark. On the other hand there was no reason for censorship of civilian mail in 1934.

Here is an example of a Netherlands postman's mark:

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #46 is a cover sent from Bermuda to NYC, USA.

The cover is franked with two stamps. A 2d Lucie (yacht) stamp (SG 101 Scott 108) and a 3d Point House stamp (SG 103 and Scott 111) 14 April 1936 issue.

and tied with a 17 MAY 1939 HAMILTON BERMUDA CDS

Nothing of interest on the back.

There is a typewritten or hand stamped inscription which states: "LATE FEE PAID" and the return address is listed as s.s. Monarch of Bermuda.

Here is some information regarding the Monarch of Bermuda:

S.s. Monarch of Bermuda was completed on 11/1931 and owned by the Furness, Withy & Co Ltd, Hamilton, Bermuda until 1949.

In 1919 Furness Bermuda Line was awarded the mail contract for the New York to Bermuda service. This service reached its zenith in the years just before the Second World War when Furness Bermuda Line ordered two luxury liners - the Monarch of Bermuda and the Queen of Bermuda.

With the two new ships the Bermuda run from New York enjoyed the ultimate in luxury and they became known as "the millionaires' ships". The two sister ships sailed on 3 week cruises from New York to Bermuda for Furness-Bermuda Line. Their three funnels gave them an impressive appearance, although they were hardly graceful compared to most Atlantic greyhounds. They were amongst the elite ships of their day and had private facilities in their cabins. The run between New York and Bermuda took only 40 hours in each direction and that allowed 4 days to be spent on the Island.

When the Second World War broke out in 1939, the two luxury liners were requisitioned for war duties.

Gutted by fire at Palmers Shipyard, Hebburn whilst refitting after
trooping service. She was declared a total loss and supposedly sold for scrap.
The UK Ministry of Transport reappraised the wreck, purchased her in 1949, and then had her rebuilt as an emigrant ship and renamed NEW AUSTRALIA.

Perhaps some of our members emigrated to Australia on this ship.

It seems that she was an unlucky ship as, under her new name NEW AUSTRALIA, she was involved in a collision with the tanker France Stove, in the Torres Strait nearing the northern limits of the Great Barrier Reef Pilotage off Thursday Island.

NEW AUSTRALIA was transporting members and families of the RAAF and 3rd Battalion RAR from Sydney to Singapore and Penang.

The ship was broken up at Valencia, Spain on 18/12/1966.

All in all a cover with an interesting story.

Anyone know what the late fee was and if the postage applied meets the rate + late fee?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #47 is a paquebot cover to London England.

It was franked with a single KGVI 2-1/2d pale scarlet definitive (SG 505) stamp.

The cover has a 26 JNE 1951 LONDON F.S. N CDS and the stamp is tied with a black cancel: "PAQUEBOT / POSTED AT SEA" within rectangular border.

The stamp is complete (just cut off in the scan).

The back of the cover:

My first paquebot cover.

I am not certain about the mechanics of the paquebot system. What strikes me as unusual is that there is no ship's name on the cover (or in a hand stamp) and the reverse has no return address.

So there is no way to identify the originating vessel. There is a crest on the reverse which I assume to be of that of the shipping line. Perhaps it will be familiar to someone.

Cheers,

Carmel

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj Carmel!

I think the crest on the flap is that of the Cunard Shipping Company.

Cheers,

Honza

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Honza.

I looked it up in the internet and it does seem to be the Cunard Line crest.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #48 is an airmail cover from Crikvenica, Yugoslavia (Now Crikvenica, Croatia) to Vienna, Austria.

It is franked with a single Scott C38 10 dinar stamp and a single Scott C40 30 dinar stamp tied by a 14 VII.53 CRIKVENICA d CDS.

There is a round purple censure hand stamp reading: "Alliierte Zensurstelle Z.1" inside round border with "114" in the middle.

There is an additional marking, a small light blue hand stamp "17n".

Does anyone know what is the significance of this hand stamp?

The cover is back stamped with a 20.VII.53 9/2 WIEN 71 4c CDS.

Also, a bit odd that the cover was sent by air mail from Yugoslavia to Austria.

I've also posted this cover (with fewer scans) on the censored cover thread:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8120&p=6092854#p6092854

Cheers,

Carmel

ikanek

Post by ikanek »

carmel wrote:Perhaps someone will be able to decipher the names of the sender and receiver and the address. I believe the sender's first name may have been František.

Cheers,

Carmel
The name of sender: František Hnojil, K.K: Gendm Posten Wysokie, K.K. Etp. Post Krasnostow, Polsko (Poland).
The name of receiver with address: sl. (abbreviated slečna - it means Miss or young lady) Josefa Hnojilová, u p. Adolfa Hlaváčka (it means by Mr. Adolf Hlaváček), Král. Vinohrady (Král. = abbreviated Královské), Slovenská ul. (ul. = abbreviated ulice - it means street or lane) čís. (=number) 33, Čechy (=Bohemia).

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks ikanek.

Now I have a name for the soldier: František Hnojil

and his sister (to whom he sent these letters): Josefa Hnojilová

Wikipedia has this to say:

Viničné Hory was a village in the neighborhood of Prague in the years 1788–1867 , later it gave birth to a village, town and district of Královské Vinohrady, today Prague-Vinohrady.

In 1867 they were renamed to Královské Vinohrady (German Königliche Weinberge ). The vineyards are named after the medieval vineyards that were on their southwestern slopes behind the city gates above the Horse Market, today's Wenceslas Square.

... and in 1879 were promoted to the royal city. In the 19th century, until the break - up of Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918 , centralist Vienna resisted competition from rising Prague by establishing independent royal cities instead of connecting them with it - so the royal city of Vinohrady was founded. At the beginning of 1922, together with other municipalities, they were affiliated with Great Prague.

... in 1913 [it] had over 84 thousand inhabitants."

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #49 appears to be a mundane cover from Johannesburg South Africa to Montreal, Canada.

It is franked with a bi-lingual pair of South Africa 2d blue and violet stamps (SG 134) showing the Union Building and issued on April 1950.

The stamps are tied to the cover by a two line bi-lingual slogan cancel stating: "PETROL IS PRECIOUS - SAVE IT / BESPAAR PETROL - DIS KUSBAAR" and a JOHANNESBURG 27 V 1950 CDS.

Nothing on the back of the cover.

I purchased it because of the slogan cancel.

However when I received the cover in the mail I discovered that there was a surprise inside.

Enclosed inside the cover was the original letter, dated 26.5.50, which states: "Enclosed is a new issue of the 2d stamp - smaller in size - for your collection."

The pair was also enclosed in the cover and is in MNH condition (an additional pair was used to frank the cover).

One can only speculate as to the reason that the stamps remained in the cover for the next 69 years.

I would like to display the cover and its contents in a manner which preserves this situation, so perhaps the cover will be in one display pocket and the letter+pair in the next one.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #50 is a cover sent from Buenos Aires Argentina to Basel, Switzerland.

It is franked with three stamps. A 40c dark violet Sugar Cane stamp (Scott 443) issued in 1936, a 1 Peso Map of South America (without boundaries) (Scott 446) issued in 1937 and a 5c yellow brown Moreno stamp (Scott 427) issued in 1935. All are from the same series. Total postage was 1.45 pesos.

There are two 12 JUL 40 Buenos Aires 37 ARGENTINA CDSs.

A bit surprising that the cover was not censored on it's journey.

What made this cover appealing to me is the dog corner card:

What kind of dog is this? And what was GALGO?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #51 is a cover from the U.S.A.. It's a bit grungy but interesting never the less.

The cover is franked with two stamps from the Presidential issue. A 1c George Washington stamp and a 2c John Adams stamp.

What caught my eye is the cancel. A FEB 10 TRIP 2 1941 WASHINGTON, D.C. & HARRISONBURG, VA H.P.O. CDS with FIRST TRIP between horizontal lines.

Which raised some questions. If this is a "FIRST TRIP" why does the CDS say "TRIP 2"? What is an H.P.O.?

There is handwritten wording in the bottom left corner which reads: "For the first northbound run to Washington D.C.". Northbound run of what? The cover is addressed to NYC not to DC.

The back of the cover includes a nice looking Cinderella.

Here is a closeup of the Cinderella:

All in all quite an attractive Cinderella.

Looking for information about the cancel, I discovered that the H.P.O. is the "cousin" of the R.P.O. - the "Railway Post Office". H.P.O. being the "Highway Post Office".

Here is some information from an article by Will Keller in the November 2012 PMCC Bulletin

"In the first third of the 20th Century, railway passenger transportation was being assaulted by new, publicly funded roads. This resulted in the discontinuance of many branch line passenger trains as locals purchased automobiles and started driving, versus riding the rails. The resulting train discontinuances over the years resulted in mail service being disrupted in many local areas, as the trains often carried Railway Post Offices. The Post Office Department needed to address the transportation/distribution situation. With the increased highway construction, and the more reliable highway vehicles, the POD inaugurated the concept of Highway Post Office in 1941, after an act of Congress allowing it to do so."

"The concept was to outfit a highway vehicle, initially converted city buses with sorting facilities to enable clerks to perform mail distribution as the vehicle traveled over the highways in the same manner as distribution was performed in RPO cars in the trains. The HPO’s (pronounced as ‘HYPO”) were over-the-road RPO’s and performed all the same distribution (sorting) functions as the RPO’s."

I assume that the cancel on my cover was for the first northbound trip, but that it had been preceded by the first southbound trip, and therefore the CDS reads "TRIP 2" while the second inscription reads "FIRST TRIP".

This is all new to me.

As for the Cinderella, this is what I've found searching the internet:

"The Council Against Intolerance, a New York group active from the late 1930s through the mid-1950s, was founded by left-leaning Jewish author James Waterman Wise. Wise is notable for having warned of the dangers of Nazism in several books as early as 1933. Their headquarters were at 17 East 42nd Street in New York City. They published many materials promoting diversity, including fundraising / propaganda poster stamps. From 1939 to 1944 the stamps had the full name "Council Against Intolerance in America" on them, but beginning in 1945 the name was shortened to "Council Against Intolerance"." This particular Cinderella is probably from from 1939.

Any additional information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

mbg1248
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by mbg1248 »

James Waterman-Wise was the son of Louise Waterman-Wise. The Youth Hostel in Bayit Ve'Gan, Jerusalem was named after her.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #52 is truly an oddball item.

It's a deed from the township of Jackson in Richland County, Ohio dated March 1st 1916. Verified by a notary public on that day and filed on April 4th 1916 and recorded on April 7th 1916.

It folds out like an accordion (but the front page is in the middle rather than at the end).

Lovely signature. Must have taken a really long time to write it into the document.

A close up of the revenue stamps:

There are two single $1 green revenue stamps and a strip of five $1 green revenue stamps. All neatly cancelled by manuscript cancels. I believe that the previous owner misidentified the stamps and that they are Scott R217 rather than Scott R240 (which was issued after 1916).

There is a center line between two of the stamps on the strip.

I assume there is a premium for such a line (and a reason for its existence), but don't have the appropriate reference for this type of material.

An unusual find for me. Who knows how and why it ended up in the flee market in Tel Aviv 113 years later.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Regarding the corner card on item #50 which features a dog and the inscription GALGO

Wikipedia has this to say:

"The Galgo Español (Spanish galgo) or Spanish greyhound is an ancient breed of dog, specifically a member of the sighthound family. The English greyhound is possibly a descendant of the Spanish greyhound and, for several years in the 20th century, some breeders did cross-breed Galgos and Greyhounds in order to produce faster and more powerful Galgos, specifically for track racing purposes.

Galgos are similar in appearance to Greyhounds, but are distinctly different in their conformation. Galgos are higher in the rear than in the front, and have flatter muscling than a Greyhound, which is characteristic of endurance runners. They also tend to be smaller, lighter in build, have longer tails and have a very long, streamlined head that gives the impression of larger ears. Their chests are not as deep as a Greyhound's and should not reach the point of the elbow."

Cheers,

Carmel

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

Your United States $1 Green revenue is unambiguously Scott R217 because of the date of use and the Series 1914 inscription on the banners to either side of the denomination... R240 is undated.
Scott US Spec 2017 - R217 listing
This is not a coil stamp so center line multiples are not priced. A slight premium for blocks of 4 it would be a bit better for a center line block... but not much.

These lines are just part of the layout of a full sheet. They are of interest to those who study the printing technology and possible determination of the plate position of a specific stamp.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks RobRoyH and mbg1248.

Out of curiosity, what is the value of this deed? $1, $5, $10 or more?

According to the guy who sold it to me, it is "RAAAARRRE", as the sheriff would say.

As a lesson for future purchases, was is a fair price to pay for such an item?

Cheers,

Carmel

RobRoyH

Post by RobRoyH »

It isn't a particularly noteworthy usage, the stamps are common and manuscript signed.

Handstamps and printed cancels would be more desirable. Signatures of someone famous would help.

As is, I would pass on it for myself but would expect to see it priced for around $3 USD perhaps... a bit more from a revenue specialist dealer who might hawk it as a good start for a plating study... would not be unusual to find it thrown into the $1 box from a cover dealer.... and a bargain of small order in such a case.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks.

It cost $2 USD so that's a reasonable amount.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #53 is IMHO a realy neat cinderella.

I'm calling it a cinderella although perhaps it would be better called a play stamp.

It's a little sized cover with a KIDDIES POST "stamp" featuring Santa Claus. The cover is addressed to Santa Clous, Snow House, Greenland, Denmark.

The "stamp" is "canceled" with a 23 NO 50 ASPLEY NOTTINGHAM CDS.

The cancel looks real, and there is an Aspley in Nottingham.
Could it be that the child's parent took him (or her) to a post office and asked for a cancel?

Really neat little item and something completely different.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

Frank_King
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Frank_King »

carmel wrote:However, while scanning the cover, I discovered an additional hand stamp on the front of the cover.

A faint black hand stamp with "C" within a rectangular frame with clipped corners (making an octagonal frame).

This mark is a mystery. Is it some kind of censor mark?
This is a Rotterdam arrival mark. The "C" indicates that the letter arrived on the evening boat Harwich-Vlissingen. (An "A" would indicate the morning boat Harwich-Hoek van Holland.) The mark was used from 1927 to 1936.

Jan

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Jan.

"This is a Rotterdam arrival mark. The "C" indicates that the letter arrived on the evening boat Harwich-Vlissingen. (An "A" would indicate the morning boat Harwich-Hoek van Holland.) The mark was used from 1927 to 1936."

The cover (item #45) was sent in 1934 to Rotterdam.

Now I know what the mysterious "C" handstamp on my Barbados cover means.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #54 is a censored airmail cover sent in 1941 from Batavia (present-day Jakarta), Netherlands Indies to Montreal, Canada.

It is franked with two stamps. A 1934 30c lilac gray (Scott 178, SG 349) Queen Wilhelmina definative stamp and a 1933 50c lilac gray (Scott 183, SG 354) Queen Wilhelmina definative stamp.

The stamps are tied to the cover with a 7.3.41 BATAVIA CDS.

It was opened by the censor and sealed with a censor tape.
The front of the cover has various auxillary markings which I assume are connected to the local censor.

A handstamp: "Ec. C." within a circle, in red ink.

Another handstamp: "Dev. 12", within a circle in red ink, ties the censor tape to the cover.

A CENSUUR 8.3.41 5 CDS also ties the censor tape to the front of the cover.

The censor tape is bilingual:

Image Image

The back of the cover shows that the censor tape is tied by an additional Dev. 12 within circle red handstamp.

The sender has set out the various carriers for the cover: Knilm / Trans Tasman / P.A.A. to U.S.A..

As for Knilm - Koninklijke Nederlandsch-Indische Luchtvaart Maatschappij (in English: Royal Dutch Indies Airways) was the airline of the former Dutch East Indies. On 3 July 1938 KNILM began operations to Sydney, stopping at Darwin, Cloncurry and Charleville.

This is a year before the fall of Batavia to the Japanese.

As I do not have literature regarding the Netherland Indies routes and censorship, I have no additional information to add.

Cheers,

Carmel

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”