Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

carmel
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Some random Odds & Ends From My Stamp Collection

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #55 is a 1934 cover from South West Africa. It was sent from Swakopmund, South West Africa to Holzminden, Germany.

Sadly it has some rust spots and will go into a sealed bag.

The cover is franked with three stamps. One 1/2 d Kori Bustard 1931 definitive stamp (Scott 108 SG 74) and a vertical bilingual pair of 2d Bogenfels 1931 stamps (Scott 111a SG 76).

What caught my eye are the cancels. The stamps are tied to the cover by two SEA BATHING 8.JAN.34 SWAKOPMUND HEALTH RESORT CDSs.

Here is a closeup of one of the cancels:

Nothing on the back of the cover.

So far I've not found any information about this cancel. It could be an advertisement for sea bathing or for a certain resort, or a post office located in one.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #56 is a 1948 cover airmail cover inscribed "VIA PAN AMERICAN" and posted from Durban, South Africa to Camden, NJ USA.

The cover is franked with a horizontal bilingual pair of 1940 Scott 57a (SG 59) 3d Groot Schuur stamps and with one 1939 Scott 62d (SG 62) 1/ Gnu stamp, with three 1.XII.48 DURBAN CDSs.

The cover also has a bilingual Christmas 1948 seal, denominated 1d, affixed at front lower right corner, showing a little girl rushing to her mother's(?) arms.

I have a soft spot for cinderellas, especially when on cover, so it just couldn't be resisted.

The back of the cover has the details of the sender.

All in all, an atractive seal. I have no catalogs for South Africa seals and any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 04 Sep 2019 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #57 is a cover mailed in 1937 from Johannesburg, South Africa to Beira, Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa at that time).

Wikipedia has this to say about Beira: "Beira is the capital and largest city of Sofala Province, where the Pungwe River meets the Indian Ocean, in the central region of Mozambique."

It is not an imposing cover, however covers from African countries to African countries are not plentiful. Usually what you see are covers from the colony to the home country and vice versa. A private business cover from a British colony to a Potuguese colony, both in Africa, is not common at all.

Also a nice slogan cancel.

The cover is franked with one 1937 Scott 46b (SG 75c) 1/2d Springboc definitive stamp and one 1934 Scott 48a (SG 56) 1d Jan Van Riebeek's ship definitive stamp.

South Africa definitives of this period are difficult to identify correctly.

There are three 22.X.37 JOHANNESBURG A CDSs and a bilingual slogan cancel "SEND GOOD NEWS / TELEGRAMS" atop wavy lines (also in Afrikaans).

The back of the cover is has a 25.OUT.1937 CORREIO BEIRA CDS.

I don't have any literature on rates, but I assume that this was the correct rate for surface mail from South Africa to Portuguese East Africa.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #58 is a cover mailed in 1950 from Lobito, Angola to Brussels, Belgium.

Wikipedia has this to say about Lobito: "Lobito is a town and municipality in Benguela Province in Angola. It is located on the Atlantic Coast ... and owes its existence to the bay of the same name having been chosen as the sea terminus of the Benguela railway to the far interior, passing through Luau to Katanga in the Democratic Republic of the Congo."

Again a private cover from an African colony to a country (Belgium) which is not it's home country (in this case Portugal) is not a frequent find. Though it seems likely that the railroad from Lobito to the Belgian Congo, deep in the interior of the continent resulted in Belgian trade links such as shipping routes, etc.

The cover is franked with a vertical pair of 1949 blue violet Scott 322 (SG 441) 2.50 Angolar View of Bandeira definitive stamp. SG describes the color as bright blue.

There are two 28AGO 950 C.T.T. ANGOLA LOBITO CDSs.

Unusually crisp and clear for Angola, where, as in many African countries, the cancelling devices were used for long periods of time, resulting in smudgy, unclear cancels.

The reverse of the cover is interesting.

It has a handstamp identifying the cover as being from the ship S/S Lindi from the Compagnie Maritime Congolaise Anvers. Probably posted when the Lindi arrived in port at Lubito.

I was not able to find information regarding this shipping line. But I did manage to find a photo of the S/S Lindi itself:

All in all an interesting cover, with a maritime connection.

If anyone has any covers from this line feel free to post them, and as alway, any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #59 is a cover from liberated France.

It is philatellic in nature, and has a 1.50 fr rose Marshal Pétain definitive (Maury 516, SG 720) overprintd with a cross of Lorraine (French: Croix de Lorraine) and a blue cinderella label with "F.F.I. - M.L.N.".

A close up of the pair:

According to Maury the stamps was overprinted in Paris on August 25, 1944.

The stamp and label are tied to the cover by a POSTE SPECIALE F.F.I. 23.VIII 1944 CDS with a cross of Lorraine at the bottom of the CDS. There is a second CDS to the left of the pair.

The Maury catalog has this to say: "Seul le 1f 50 Petain a été surchargé (25 août 1944), il est le plus souvent collé sur lettre avec vignette "F.F.I. - M.L.N.". Tirage: 30,000 enveloppes dont 2000 surchargées "Paris libérée"."

My French is none existent and Google translate was not clear: "Only the 1f 50 Petain was overloaded (August 25, 1944), it is most often stuck on letter with vignette "F.F.I. - M.L.N.". Draw: 30,000 envelopes including 2000 overloaded "Paris released".

I assume overloaded = overprinted and vignette = label, but corrections and clarifications are welcome.

The "J C O" stamped on the cover is not mentioned.

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

The Maury catalog has this to say: "Seul le 1f 50 Petain a été surchargé (25 août 1944), il est le plus souvent collé sur lettre avec vignette "F.F.I. - M.L.N.". Tirage: 30,000 enveloppes dont 2000 surchargées "Paris libérée"."

My French is none existent and Google translate was not clear: "Only the 1f 50 Petain was overloaded (August 25, 1944), it is most often stuck on letter with vignette "F.F.I. - M.L.N.". Draw: 30,000 envelopes including 2000 overloaded "Paris released".
I try to improve your translation:

"Only the 1f 50 Petain was overprinted (August 25, 1944), it is most often used on letter with label "F.F.I. - M.L.N.". Issued quantity: 30,000 envelopes including 2000 overprinted "Paris liberated".

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks kuikka.

I have just increased my France liberation covers by 100% (see item #17 on this thread).

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #60 is an 1923 registered airmail cover posted from Vienna, Austria to Budapest Hungary.

This is IMHO a really attractive cover. I don't know much about Austrian stamps but the cover just could not be resisted.

The cover is franked with five stamps, in two groups. On the left are three stamps: a 200Kr pink 9/1922 Symbols of Agriculture definitive (Scott 273 SG 484), a 500 Kr yellow 9/1922 Symbols of Agriculture definitive (Scott 277 SG 488) and a 2000Kr green/yellow 11/1922 Symbols of Art and Science definitive (Scott 295 SG 506).

The stamps are tied to the cover by a 19.III.23 1/1 WIEN 5b CDS.

The second group of stamps is composed of two airmail stamps: a 3000 Kr deep brown 17/3/1923 Wilhelm Kress airmail stamp (Scott C10 SG 552) and a 4800 Kr dark blue 17/3/1923 Wilhelm Kress airmail stamp (Scott C11 SG 553)

The stamps are tied to the cover by two 19.III.23 1/1 WIEN 5b CDSs.

There is a registered mail etiquette and and additional postmark, a 21.III.23 1/1 WEIN 1 FLUGPOST CDS. Which I assume was used because the cover was sent airmail (despite having no airmail markings).

The back of the cover has a Budapest receiving CDS reading 923MAR.21 KIRKOZPONTI TAVIRO HIVALTAL BUDAPEST.

I hope someone with exprience with Hungarian postmarks can tell us the meaning of this postmark.

To my surprise, the Scott Classic catalogue (2016) values each airmail stamp on cover at USD 120, the 2000 Kr stamp on cover at USD 12 and the two remaining stamps at USD 1.20 on cover.

How would this cover be valued, considering these values?

My system for covers is that I pick the most valueable stamp on cover and add the values of all the other stamps on the cover as used stamps. How do you make do it?

As always, any and all information is appreciated. Especially about the rates, to confirm that it is a registered airmail cover.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Google translate gives the Hungarian cancel as Central Telegraph Office. From my memory I would assume Kir. to be abbreviation for Royal.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks.

There is a misstype in the description of the Budapest receiving cancel. It should read: KIR. KÖZPONTI TAVIRO HIVATAL BUDAPEST

KIR. stands for kir(ályi) = Royal

So the translation is: ROY(al) CENTRAL TELEGRAPH OFFICE BUDAPEST

Curious considering that this is a cover not a telegraph.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #61 is a cover from Upper Silesia. Sent in 1920 from Oppeln, Upper Silesia.

I cannot decipher the handwriting and I'm hoping that someone here can do this and tell me where it was sent to.

The cover was franked with a violet 15pf (Scott 5, SG 5) stamp issued February 20, 1920 and a blue 20 pf (Scott 20, SG 25) stamp issued March 26, 1920. Total franking of 35pf.

The stamps are canceled with two 27.4.20 OPPELN CDSs.

Can anyone tell me the up to date SG catalogue values for these two stamps (and values for them on cover, if available)?

The period of use for Upper Silesia stamps was quite short.

Wikipedia says:

"The Treaty of Versailles had ordered a plebiscite in Upper Silesia to determine whether the territory should be a part of Germany or Poland. The plebiscite was to be held within two years of the Treaty (signed in 1919) in the whole of Upper Silesia, although the Polish government had only requested it to be held in the areas east of the Oder river, which had a significant number of Polish speakers. Thus the plebiscite took place in all of Upper Silesia, including the predominantly Polish-speaking areas in the east and the predominantly German-speaking areas west of the river. The Upper Silesian plebiscite was to be conducted on March 20, 1921. In the meantime, the German administration and police remained in place ... A total of 707,605 votes were cast for Germany and 479,359 for Poland.

The Third Silesian Uprising conducted by Poles broke out in 1921. The League of Nations was asked to settle the dispute before it led to even more bloodshed. In 1922, a six-week debate decided that Upper Silesia should be divided. This was accepted by both countries, and the majority of Upper Silesians. Approximately 736,000 Poles and 260,000 Germans thus found themselves now in Polish (Upper) Silesia, and 532,000 Poles and 637,000 Germans remained in German (Upper) Silesia."

I've always wanted a cover from Upper Silesia and this seems to be a clean commercial cover.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 18 Nov 2019 08:29, edited 2 times in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #62 is another cover from Upper Silesia. Sent in 1920 from Kunigshutte, Upper Silesia.

In this cover too, I cannot decipher the handwriting and I'm hoping that someone here can do this and tell me where it was sent to.

The cover was franked with a blue 60pf (Scott 25, SG 29) stamp issued issued March 26, 1920.

The stamp is canceled with two 19.5.20 KUNIGSHUTTE (OBERSCHL) CDSs. Here is a close up of one of the cancels.

Can anyone tell me the up to date SG catalogue value for this stamp (and the value for it on cover, if available)?

My Upper Silesia cover collection has just gone up by 100%.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 18 Nov 2019 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #63 is a 1922 cover (French post) from Alexandria, Egypt to Esch sur Alzette, Luxemburg.

It was franked with a "4 / Milliemes" overprinted on 10c green French Alexandria stamp (Scott 50). Scott lists it as being issued in 1923 but the cancel is dated February 1922.

The cover is canceled with two 15 FEVR 22 ALEXANDRIE EGYPTE CDSs. Here are closeups of the two cancels.

The back is back stamped with a partially off cover 23.2.22 ALZETTE CDS.

Anyone know the SG number and catalogue value (and on cover if available)?

Wikipedia says:

"The French post offices in Egypt were a system of post offices maintained by France in Egypt during the 19th century and the early years of the 20th century. They were primarily intended to facilitate commercial and trading interests that needed to communicate between France and points east. The post offices were located at Alexandria and Port Said.

France issued postage stamps for each of these two, generally at the same time and with the same general characteristics, with the one overprinted or inscribed "ALEXANDRIE" and the other "PORT-SAID". The first issue appeared in 1899; it consisted of the post office name (as described above) overprinted on the current "Type Sage" stamps, a total of 15 values ranging from one centime to five francs. A shortage of the 25c values at Port Said necessitated surcharges on the 10c value, reading "PORT SAID / VINGT / CINQ". A few of these were additional overprinted with "25" in red ink.

The first stamps inscribed for these post offices were the French designs of 1900 modified to include the post offices' names. The 15 values appeared in 1902 and 1903.

In 1921 the stamps were surcharged in Egyptian currency, at the rate of about 2.5 centimes per milieme. Several forms of the surcharge exist. In Alexandria, local surcharges read "4 Mill." etc., while in Port Said they read "4 / Milliemes", with the number in a sans-serif typeface. Soon after Paris-produced surcharges arrived in both offices; they read "4 / MILLIEMES" etc. A new round of surcharges in 1925 added black bars to obscure the French currency values."

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

For Upper Silesia covers 2011 Michel gives following values (cheapest variant):

15 pf 5€
20 pf 6€
60 pf 25€

Should the postmark turn out to be a Polish one in last 2, multiply CV by 10.

I know these are neither SG nor recent but I hope it is some help for you.

Joy Daschaudhuri
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Joy Daschaudhuri »

carmel wrote: Hi,

I cannot decipher the handwriting and I'm hoping that someone here can do this and tell me where it was sent to.

Cheers,
Carmel
Reutlingen in Baden-Württemberg

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj everyone!

I was stumped by Kameralamt, but, on looking it up, it is apparently a Finance Department at state level

Of the two postmarks Oppeln remained part of Germany and Königshütte became part of Poland.

Cheers,

Honza

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Kuika.

This gives me a feel for the catalogue value of the covers.

Michel is probably best catalogue for such material.

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 19 Nov 2019 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Honza.

Looking at the handwriting and your comment about the Kameralamt, I believe that this cover (item #62) was addressed to Reutlingen in Baden-Württemberg. Perhaps the scrible to the right of the city name is "Wttmg".

Cheers,

Carmel

honza

Post by honza »

Ahoj Carmel!

Joy correctly identified Reutlingen for you. The scribble for Württemberg is, I think, Wttbg not Wttmg.

Württemberg at the time of your letter was a separate state from Baden. Baden-Württemberg is a post WW2 Federal Germany creation.

Württemberg had its own postage stamps until 1918.

Cheers,

Honza

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kuikka wrote:For Upper Silesia covers 2011 Michel gives following values (cheapest variant):

15 pf 5€
20 pf 6€
60 pf 25€

Should the postmark turn out to be a Polish one in last 2, multiply CV by 10.

I know these are neither SG nor recent but I hope it is some help for you.
I checked these from 2018 Michel and they were still the same.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks Joy.

For some reason I didn't see your message.

That leaves the second cover, which is a real puzzle regarding the city and country to which is was sent.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #64 is a cover from the short lived country of Katanga.

This is an airmail cover from Kolwezi, Katanga to Brussels, Belgium.

It is franked with a 3.5fr definative stamp (Scott 57, SG 55) and canceled
with a 1 6 61 KOLWEZI H CDS.

There is also one label attached to the lower left side of the cover with a dark brown portrait of President Tshombe, beneath a two line inscription: "AVEC LE / PRESIDENT TSHOMBE" and above a two line inscription: "POUR LA VICTOIRE / ET LA LIBERTE".

No information yet on this label.

There are also two light red "Papiers d'affaires" handstamps and an attrective corner card.

Any cover with an attached label is, IMO, an interesting cover, and I've always wanted a postally used, in period, cover from Katanga.

So two birds with one stone.

As usual any information is appreciated.

This cover also raises some questions regarding its value. On the one hand it's a modern cover with a common stamp, on the other hand it's from Katanga, saw actual postal use, does not appear to be philatelic. So what should be a reasonable value for it?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #65 is a Swiss balloon flight cover sent during the 1938 National Philatelic Exhibition at Aarau. This exhibition also commemorated the 25th anniversary of airmail in Switzerland. The cover was sent from Hornussen, Aargau to Solothurn, Solothurn Switzerland.

I don't usually collect balloon flight covers, but this cover was quite attractive in my opinion, and ended up in my collection.

Especially the Icarus in flight stamps, both the single and the stamp included in the Mini Sheet. Several countries have issued stamps with an Icarus in flight design. This is the Swiss version.

The cover is franked with one reddish lilac and purple 1fr air mail Icarus stamp. I believe this 1fr is the regular paper variety issued in 1924 (SG 327, Scott C12). This 1fr stamp was re-issued in 1933 with chalk surfaced paper (SG 327a), but the stamp on the cover appears to be regular paper. Any opinions are appreciated.

It is also franked with one Mini Sheet (SG MS387a, Scott 242). This is a Mini Sheet issued for the 1938 National Stamp Exhibition at Aarau Switzerland and to commemorate the 25th anniversary of airmail in Switzerland. The Mini Sheet has two scarlet 20c stamps from the 1936 landscapes set (SG 375) and one 10c overprinted on 65c 1938 Icarus air mail stamp (SG 381).

There are several postmarks on the cover:

Two 21.9.1938 AARAU NATIONALE BRIEFMARKEN-AUSSTELLUNG 17-23 SEPT 1938 EXPOSITION NATIONALE DE PHILATELIQUE ESPOSITIONE NAZIONALE FILATELICA CDSs. Here is one of them:

One 21.IX.38 HORNUSSEN (AARGAU) CDS

and one 21-25 SEPT 1938 AARGAU Nationale Briefmarken Ausstellung pictorial postmark with balloon in center.

The reverse is back stamped with one 22.IX.38 SOLOTHURN 3 INDUSTRIRQUARTIER CDS

I have no idea what this cover is worth and how common it is.

Hornussen is a small village in Canton Aarau and Solothurn is the capital of Canton Solothurn (its popultion in the 1930s was around 16,000).

I was unable to find out where the exhibition was located, from where the balloon flight departed (Hornussen), and where it landed.

I've found on the net another similar balloon flight cover from the event

and a cinderella of the event:

Any information or comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #66 is a set of 10 stamps issued by the Republic of Congo (formerly Belgian Congo) in 1961 to commemorate the Coquilhatville Conference.

This conference was organized by the Congolese authorities in an attempt to reach a solution to the deep regional divisions within the new state.

Katanga provisional president, Moise Tshombe (his image appears on the label attached to the Katanga cover item #64 above), who attended the conference was arrested by the Congolese central authorities on the second day of the conference. The rest is history, including the unsuccessful attempt by Katanga to set up as an independent country.

The set has ten stamps with values 20c, 50c, 1fr, 1.50fr, 2fr, 3.50fr, 5fr, 6.50fr, 10fr and 20fr (Scott 371-380, SG 407-16).

This set was created by overprinting the set of 10 stamps (Scott 356-365) with a three line overprint "CONFERENCE / COQUILHATVILLE / AVRIL-MAI-1961" in three different colors: blue, black and red.

Scott lists the 20c, 1.50fr and 3.50fr with the blue overprint, the 50c, 2fr and and 10fr with the black overprint and the 1fr, 5fr, 6.50fr and 20fr with the red overprint.

The set I've acquired has two additional overprints. The 1fr and the 5fr with black overprints. These are unlisted in Scott (my printed notes use 373a and 377a but this is just my notation). SG is useless as the Simplified doesn't list overprint colors.

These overprints probably don't have any special value but they are unlisted. How does one get them listed by Scott?

Is there a good catalog for Belgian Congo and the successor states, splinter states, etc. in English, and if not in English, in some other language which will have such information?

Cheers,

Carmel
Last edited by carmel on 21 Dec 2019 05:01, edited 2 times in total.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #67 is a set of six stamps 1np, 2np, 5np, 8np, 13np and 50np (Scott M56-62, SG U1-6) issued by India on 15 January 1962 for use by the Indian UN force in Congo. Map of India stamps were overprinted with a black three line overprint: "U.N. FORCE / (INDIA) / CONGO"

These are the kind of stamps that (in my opinion) require covers to show their use by force members (not contrived philatelic covers). The addition of such covers, IMHO, would really enhance the collecting exprience.

Should I ever find them, I'll scan them and post them here too.

Cheers,

Carmel

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

carmel wrote:Hi,

Item #66 is a set of 10 stamps issued by the Republic of Congo (formerly Belgian Congo) in 1961 to commemorate the Coquilhatville Conference.

This conference was organized by the Congolese authorities in an attempt to reach a solution to the deep regional divisions within the new state.

Katanga provisional president, Moise Tshombe (his image appears on the label attached to the Katanga cover item #64 above), who attended the conference was arrested by the Congolese central authorities on the second day of the conference. The rest is history, including the unsuccessful attempt by Katanga to set up as an independent country.

The set has ten stamps with values 20c, 50c, 1fr, 1.50fr, 2fr, 3.50fr, 5fr, 6.50fr, 10fr and 20fr (Scott 371-380, SG 407-16).

This set was created by overprinting the set of 10 stamps (Scott 356-365) with a three line overprint "CONFERENCE / COQUILHATVILLE / AVRIL-MAI-1961" in three different colors: blue, black and red.

Scott lists the 20c, 1.50fr and 3.50fr with the blue overprint, the 50c, 2fr and and 10fr with the black overprint and the 1fr, 5fr, 6.50fr and 20fr with the red overprint.

The set I've acquired has two additional overprints. The 1fr and the 5fr with black overprints. These are unlisted in Scott (my printed notes use 373a and 377a but this is just my notation). SG is useless as the Simplified doesn't list overprint colors.

These overprints probably don't have any special value but they are unlisted. How does one get them listed by Scott?

Is there a good catalog for Belgian Congo and the successor states, splinter states, etc. in English, and if not in English, in some other language which will have such information?

Cheers,

Carmel
2007 Michel
2000 Scott
1974 Y&T

don't list different color overprints in this set.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

I don't have the relevant Michel and Y&T catalogs.

Scott 2019 lists the various overprint colors. So does Scott 2017.

Interesting to see what is listed in a specialized catalog.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #68 is a 1938 cover sent from Tongeren (Tongres) Belgium to Brussels, Belgium.

The cover is not franked with a postage stamp but with a red label. The label looks to have been rouletted and has a black border and the inscription "C. Aux. de l'Etat" with a signature below the inscription. It is tied to the cover with a 6-4-38 TONGEREN BELGIE'S OUDSTE STAD / LA PLUS ANCIENNE VILLE BELGE CDS.

Which translates to Tongeren Belgium's oldest city.

Wikipedia (+Google translate) has this to say:

"From 15 BC Tongeren developed itself as a Gallo-Roman civilian settlement. In the following centuries, the city played an important role in the history of the Low Countries. For example, in the 2nd century Tongeren obtained market rights and in the 4th century the city became the seat of the first diocese of the Low Countries. In the Middle Ages and the early modern period , the city was one of the 23 Good Cities of the prince-diocese of Liège . From the second half of the 20th century, the development of Tongeren started as a commercial center and tourist attraction. As "the first city" from Belgium, Tongeren uses its Roman past as a tourist asset."

Nothing interesting on the back of the cover.

The cover is addressed to Caisse Auxiliaire de l'Etat which explains the one line inscription on the label.

I have been unable to find information on this organization, but I assume it was some kind of government agency connected to insurance.

What is this label? Could it be a label sent out to third parties in order to pay for their postage to the Caisse Auxiliaire de l'Etat?

It seems that this label was recognized for postage.

I have been unable to find any information about it.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #69 is some kind of packet of Tannu Tuva stamps.

I was going through a box of material which had been described as "Unsorted Box With Mainly Mint Sets and Souvenir Sheets" and found what appeared to be, at first glance, a cutout of a newspaper article.

This folds open and reveals:

A complete set of ten of the Tuva 1936 wildlife stamps.

It was produced by Tasco.

A similar set was recently posted by Eli on his Tuva thread (https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=89007).

Quite a coincidence that two such items would end up in Israel.

IMO it's attractive and would be a nice addition to a Tuva collection. Any information about this item would be appreciated.

Also what would it be worth.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

A correction regarding item #69.

The stamps are the Tuvan animals set, issued in 1935 and listed by Michel as 66-75.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #70 is a First Day Cover from Haiti which I purchased a few days ago at the local flea market.

The cover is franked with Haiti Miniature Sheet Scott C121a SG MS586 issued on October 8, 1958 and is cancelled with two blue 8 Oct 1958 PORT-AU-PRINCE HAITI PREMIER JOUR CDSs.

The M.S. was issued to commemorate the International Geophysical Year and has four imperf stamps:
50c Head of US Satellite (Scott C119, SG 583),
1g Ocean Bed Exploration (Scott 427, SG 582),
1.5g King Penguins on Ice Flow (Scott C120, SG 584), and
2g Giant Radio Telescope (Scott C121, SG 585).

The cover could not be resisted, it's from Haiti, the M.S. is well designed, the price was USD 0.60, and the Penguins ...

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #71 is a First Flight Cover from Panama to Corpus Christi, Texas. The cover is franked with two stamps: a 1c green obligatory tax cancer research fund stamp (SG 444, Scott RA20) and a 5c blue stamp from the 1924 American Bank Note Arms series (SG 201, Scott 237).

What originally caught my eye was the cachet. I have a weakness for those old propeller airplanes.

I assume that it was sent from Panama City but the CDS is indistinct as to the post office. Perhaps if someone has eagle eyes or software that will improve the image it would be possible to decipher the inscription on the cancel. The date in the CDS is DIC 14 1946

I though this to be odd as the overprint on the stamp on the left reads "1947" whereas the date on the CDS is 1946. However, SG states that the date of issue for the obligatory tax stamp (SG 444) was 3 Dec 1946 (Scott just says 1946) so nothing special there.

The back of the cover has a DEC 16 1946 CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS CDS.

Obligatory tax stamps are, IMO, interesting on cover and usually have a story to tell (see also the Bahrain cover item #4 in this thread which also has an obligatory tax stamp).

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #72 is another First Flight Cover for the first Pan Am Jet Mail Sydney to Nandi flight.

It is franked with a 2/- SG 323 (Scott 324) Flannel Flower definitive stamp and tied with a 17DE59 G.P.O. SYDNEY 129 CDS.

There is an ink cachet on the left side of the cover showing a jet plane and an inscription "FIRST PAN AM INTERCONTINENTAL / JET CLIPPER AIR MAIL / SYDNEY TO NANDI"

The cover was addressed to an address in the US (in NY New York) rather than in Nandi, which was then crossed out and replaced with a Nandi address.

The cover is back stamped with a 17DEC59 NANDI AIRPORT FIJI CDS.

Was 2/- the correct airmail rate for the US? Was the address changed because of insufficient postage or because it was the end of the first flight?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Just noticed that the back stamp CDS reads: 17DEC59 NADI AIRPORT FIJI

instead of NANDI.

Cheers,

Carmel

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Nadi is pronounced Nandi by Fijians.

Australians tend to hear the sound and assume the spelling.

You can be sure Fiji post knows the correct spelling.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Seems like the mistake was with the Australian (or US) cachet maker.

NANDI is used twice. In the inked cachet and in the typewritten inscription.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #73 is a curious cover.

The cover is a Belgian registered cover sent from the Hamme (VlL. post office cancelled with two HAMME (VL)22.12.37 CDSs

Hamme is a municipality located in the Belgian province of East Flanders. The municipality comprises the towns of Hamme proper, Kastel Moerzeke, St-Anna and Zogge.

It is franked with a single 2.45 Fr. SG 764 Leopold III definitive stamp issued 1.12.36.

The original addressee was replaced with a different addressee.

Sadly, I cannot decipher the handwriting on the front of the cover. I hope someone can assist, because without this information the cover is incomplete.

The back of the cover reveals a surprise.

There is an attached etiquette informing of the death of the intended recipient of the cover signed by the postal worker (?) and stating in French and Dutch "DÉCÉDÉ / OVERLEDEN" which translates to DECEASED / PASSED AWAY.

Is this an official post office etiquette? First time I've seen such an auxiliary marking on a cover.

Perhaps this was added to the cover by the local justice of the peace or some other local official.

If anyone has any similar covers feel free to post them up.

Cheers,

Carmel

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

I had a quick look on Ancestry, and there is a Windey family with over 1000 members listed in one tree, many of whom live in Hamme and Waasmunster.

So you can presume that is the surname with a fair degree of certainty.

Waasmunster also spelt Waesmunster is only about 2km from Hamme so you can safely assume that is the destination. Someone else might be able to confirm that the stamp used is a local registered rate stamp.

The Mynheer at the beginning is Mister. As the prime sender is a lawyer, inclusion of a formal honorific is not surprising.

There are also people with the surname Stoop in this family tree so it seems likely the senders are related to the recipient.

There is one person in the tree with a first name of Camiel so it's possible that that is the recipient's first name.

Unfortunately, the tree does not include any of the people on your envelope.

My best guess for the "suburb" is Hartje but I cannot locate such a place. Perhaps a stampboarder from Belgium could help?

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Thanks satsuma.

I believe that I was mistaken in my conclusion that the original addressee's name had been crossed out.

I now see, as you have explained, that the cover was mailed to Mynheer Camiel Windey.

As for the address and the rate for local registered, perhaps someone might be able to shed some light.

Sint-Niklaas is a city about 9 KM from Hamme.

Has anyone seen such a "death" etiquette on another cover?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #74 is a used military envelope from Sweden.
It was sent by a soldier named GEREBEN to SUSANNA & MIKI GEREBEN in Solna. Perhaps his parents.

The included military postage stamp can be seen when the back flap is raised.

It is hidden when the sealed envelope goes through the mail stream to the soldier's family.

They can detach the stamp from the envelope and use it to send a cover back to the original sender.
This envelope is related to Item #40 in this thread which was a cover to which the detached military stamp and been attached and used.

Here is a close up of the Swedish military postage stamp from under the back flap of the envelope:

It is unlisted in Scott. SG lists it as M264 issued in 1943.

However this is a much later printing of the military envelope, with 7-8 lines shading under the crown.

There are two cancels. A 16.5.79 Märsta CDS and a two line purple ink stamp: "FALTPOST / 3215"

Oddly, the soldier wrote his return address as Fp. 3219 rather than 3215.

Hopefully I've managed to successfully decipher the Facit catalogue regarding this envelope.

Facit lists this envelope as M11C issued in 1960 with three shades: green, yellowish green and yellow-green.
I have no idea what shade this particular stamp is.

I like the idea of including a postage stamp with the envelope.

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #75 is cover from the Second Boer War.

It was sent from the Netherlands to a POW held on board a prison ship in Durban, South Africa.

Anti British sentiment in the Netherlands was high at that time.

The cover is addressed to "N J Vermaak / Prisonier/ SS Catalonia / Durban Suid Afrika"

It is franked with a 12-1/2c blue SG 180 (Scott 68) Queen Wilhelmina definitive stamp issued August 1899.

There are two 24 SEP 00 WEESP CDS cancels. Here is a close up of one of the cancels:

The cover was censored in South Africa and was sealed with a pink-violet "OPENED UNDER MARTIAL LAW" censor tape

ImageImage

The cover was redirected to Ceylon (see front) and was received in Colombo, Ceylon.
The back of the cover shows the censor tape and Colombo back stamp:

The back stamp is a NO 8 00 COLOMBO CDS

I assume that the prisoners (and perhaps the prison ship too) were shipped off to Ceylon.

Wikipedia has this to say about the SS Catalonia:

"The SS Catalonia was built in 1881 in Glasgow by J. & G. Thomson & Co.. SS Catalonia was launched on 14 May 1881 and began her maiden voyage on 6 August, sailing from Liverpool to Queenstown to New York City. Until 1899, the ship operated under the Cunard Line between Liverpool and Boston, with the exception of two other trips to New York (besides the maiden voyage).

The ship measured 429.6 feet by 43 feet with 4,481 gross tonnage and could carry 200 first-class passengers and 1,500 third-class passengers.

On 7 May 1888 the steamer struck a rock and was damaged at Mizen Head, off the coast of Ireland. She suffered damage to her stern and underwent repairs for eight days following the incident. On 20 October 1897 Catalonia rescued the crew of the fishing vessel Vague which was sinking off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland.

The ship was requisitioned for use in the Second Boer War from 1899 to 1900, and was captained by both James Clayton Barr and William Thomas Turner during the course of the war. She may have been used as a floating prison for Boers during the war. The vessel arrived at Genoa for scrapping on 24 May 1901."

So now we know that she was indeed used as a prison ship during the Second Boer War. If I knew how, I would update the Wikipedia listing and add a scan of the cover.

A picture of the SS Catalonia:

Always something new to be discovered. Now I'll try to find information on N J Vermaak. Was he a Boer POW or a POW from the Netherlands volunteers?

Fortunately the stamp wasn't soaked off or all that would have remained would have been a worthless damaged stamp and all the postal history would have been lost.

I believe that I also have a cover sent to a Boer POW from this period which was redirected to St. Helena. I'll post it up if I find it.

Cheers,

Carmel

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: 1900 Weesp, Nederland–Diyatalawa, Shri Lanka Cover

carmel wrote: Hi,
The cover was censored in South Africa and was sealed with a pink-violet "OPENED UNDER MARTIAL LAW" censor tape

My field is Boer War Prisoners of War mail from/to PoW Camps in India but I can say that this 1900 cover from Weesp, Nederland must have been sent to Diyatalawa, Shri Lanka, the only place among 5 other in Shri Lanka, where a Boer PoW Camp existed at the time of delivery of this cover.

The Rathbone type 2 V.R. OPENED UNDER MARTIAL LAW (11.6cm×6.15cm) pink resealing label is the most common label found on Boer PoW mail.
carmel wrote: So now we know that she was indeed used as a prison ship during the Second Boer War. If I knew how, I would update the Wikipedia listing and add a scan of the cover.
Always something new to be discovered.
Cheers,
Carmel
I don't think the cover was carried by SS Catalonia at all.

The only ship corroborating the date of arrival as indicated by the Kolamba datestamp dt. Nov 8,1900, is SS Rani II which departed from eThekwini on Oct 5,1900 and reached Kolamba officially on Nov 9,1900 but it must have been a day before.

The only visit of SS Catalonia to Shri Lanka was 2 months later when it sailed from eThekwini on Dec 9,1900 and reached Kolamba on Jan 8,1901.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Joy,

Thanks for the detailed information.

I also don't think that the cover was carried by SS Catalonia.

I believe that she was used for a time as a prison ship, in Durban harbor, for Boer POWs. That is the reason that the letter was addressed to: "N J Vermaak / Prisonier/ SS Catalonia / Durban Suid Afrika".

My thinking is that when the letter arrived at Durban, the POW was no longer there, having been moved to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

The letter was then rerouted to Ceylon and presumably it arrived at the prison camp in which he was interred.

Your information shows that we can rule out that he was transferred to Ceylon on the SS Catalonia.

Who is the Rathbone that you refer to? Is that a book about Boer war censored covers?

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Based on Joy's information I looked up the Diyatalawa prisoner of war camp.

Wikipedia says: "In 1900, the British War Office constructed a concentration camp in Diyatalawa to house Boer prisoners captured in the Second Boer War. Initially constructed to house 2500 prisoners and 1000 guards and staff, the number of prisoners increased to 5000."

Here is a picture of the camp:

Another site (AngloBoerWar.com) says: "When St Helena filled up, Ceylon was chosen as a destination. A large camp was set up at the hill station at Diyatalawa. The hill station proved to be good for the health of the incarcerated."

So this explains the cover that I mentioned before that was sent to a Boer POW and redirected to St. Helena.

This site has a listing by name and date of the Boer prisoners incarcerated in Diyatalawa.

Prisoner number 103 was Nicholas Jacobus Vermaak, address Krugersdorp. Admitted to the prison on 1900-02-27. Captured at Pieters Hill.

I believe that this is the NJ Vermaak the the cover was sent to.

Cheers,

Carmel

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: Boer War Mail Resealing Label Classification by Rathbone

carmel wrote: Hi Joy,

Who is the Rathbone that you refer to? Is that a book about Boer war censored covers?

Cheers,
Carmel
The most comprehensive classification of Boer War mail resealing labels was done by JH Rathbone, author of several monographs on Anglo-Boer War II postal history.

The label type information mentioned above is taken from the following reference book.

The Anglo-Boer War 1899–1902 Philately of the Boer and British Prisoner of War Camps (Part B: Prisoner of War Camps Overseas)
JH Rathbone.
The Anglo-Boer War Philatelic
Society, Stretford, England 1967
Prisoner of War Camps in Ceylon Censor Seals; pp.34-5

There is a good article on the censor marks and seals used at the Boer PoW Camps in Shri Lanka, published in the the quarterly journal of The Anglo-Boer War Philatelic Society.

Anglo-Boer War Censor Marks and Seals
HM Criddle.
Ref. The Anglo-Boer War Philatelist (Vol.VIII No.2 4–6/1965); pp.35-43

Caramel, if you are interested, mail me your e-mail address. I can send you pdf file of the article.

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi Joy,

I've sent you an e-mail.

Thanks.

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #76 is a cover from the Straits Settlements. It was sent in 1917 from Penang to Madras, India.
Madras in now known as Chennai and is the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
Penang is a Malaysian state located on the northwest coast of Peninsular Malaysia, by the Malacca Strait.

The stamp is affixed to the back of the cover. The front has a 24 FE 1917 PENANG CDS:

and a purple ink "* PASSED BY CENSOR * MADRAS" censor mark within circle and surrounding a crown, which was applied in Madras:

The back of the cover is franked with one 4d KGV (Scott 153 Gray Violet, SG 197 Dull Purple) definitive stamp.

The stamp is tied to the cover by a 24 FE 1917 PENANG CDS. Here is a close up of the stamp and the CDS:

Straits Settlements Scott 153, Straits Settlements SG 197

There are also two Madras back stamps. A receiving 6 MAR 17 MADRAS CDS:

and a delivery 7 MAR 17 MADRAS DELI CDS:

This appears to be a commercial cover.

An area which I know nothing about, but the cover was attractive, and the censor mark was a bonus ...

Cheers,

Carmel

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #77 is a second cover from the Straits Settlements. It was sent in 1915 from Penang to Madras, India.

The stamp is affixed to the back of the cover. The front has a 24 OC 1915 PENANG CDS:

It differs from the previous cover (#76) in that it was not passed unopened by the censor, but was opened and inspected by the censor.

The cover was resealed with a censor tape on top and the tape was tied to the cover with a purple one line censor hand stamp: "OPENED BY CENSOR" beneith a smudgy crown(?):

The back of the cover is franked with one 4d KGV (Scott 153 Gray Violet, SG 197 Dull Purple) definitive stamp.

The stamp is tied to the cover by a 24 OC 1915 PENANG CDS under a 16 NOV MADRAS CDS.
It's a bit of a mishmash so I hope the descriptions are correct. Here is a close up of the stamp and the CDSs:

Lastly is the delivery back stamp, a 17 NOV MADRAS DELI CDS:

So now we have an example of a passed unopened by censor cover and a opened by censor cover, on civilian covers from the Straits Settlements to Madras during WWI.

I assume that the cover was opened by the Madras censor, although the censor mark does not name the censor.

Cheers,

Carmel

Again

carmel

Post by carmel »

Hi,

Item #78 is a third cover from the Straits Settlements. It was sent in 1916 from Penang to Madras, India.

The stamp is affixed to the back of the cover. The front has a 2 JY1916 PENANG A CDS:

and a purple ink "PASSED BY CENSOR No 11" censor mark within circle and surrounding a crown.

Unlike the previous passed by censor mark (item #76) this censor mark does not include the censor station name.

The stamp is tied to the cover by a 2 JY 1916 PENANG CDS. Here is a close up of the cancel:

There is a receiving back stamp, a 7 JUL. 16 MADRAS CDS:

and a delivery back stamp, an 8 JUL. 16 MADRAS DELI CDS:

I've tried to decipher the delivery cancels and I hope that I am correct and that it's DELI and not DELY.

This censor mark is different from the previous Passed By Censor mark, and does not indicate where the cover was censored.

I do not have access to the literature which would enable me to determine the answer to this question.

Cheers,

Carmel

Joy Daschaudhuri

Re: Chettiyar Mail from Straits Settlements to India

76–78 are all examples of what is called the Chettiyar Mail.

Chettiyars were a business community of Chettinadu region of Tamizhnadu, who by profession were mostly money-lenders and salt traders.

With the British occupation of Myanmar and Melayu peninsula, the Chettiyars, mainly from Sivagangai district of Tamizhnadu, migrated to those colonies and started their business there and they maintained regular business and personal communications with their kinsmen in Chettinadu and other areas in Tamizhnadu with sizeable polulation of the community and vice versa thru post.

The vast volume of mail resulted from these communications is collectively called the Chettiyar Mail, almost all of which were written in Tamizh.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”