Strange USA cover I received with United Nations stamps

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Dorian
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Strange USA cover I received with United Nations stamps

Post by Dorian »

I received this earlier this week from an American ebay seller:

USA cover, UN stamps
USA cover, UN stamps

Fine with me as it was a replacement for something sent in error, and clearly essentially zero postage cost for him!
Last edited by Global Administrator on 29 Jun 2020 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, and moved to correct Forum

MPSStampCollect
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Strange USA cover I received with United Nations stamps

Post by MPSStampCollect »

Save that cover, because the sender got away with it! United Nations stamps in US dollars are only valid for mail sent from the UN offices in New York City.

These stamps have a San Francisco CA machine cancellation.

Unless the letter was posted in NY, went to CA to be canceled, then went to the UK, it only carries $0.05 in valid postage.

United Nations Postal Administration

UN Stamps Used for Mailing

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Agree. Illegal use of a foreign country stamp.

UN new issue stamps were wildly overspeculated in, in the 1960s and 1970s, along with Vatican, Israel, and San Marino (to a lesser degree). All of which are pretty much landfill in mint sheets even 50 years on. :lol:

Some NYC dealers got cunning and worked out they could mail their auction catalogues and price lists from the UN office in NYC plastered with this wallpaper, and it was all legal. They could buy the wallpaper for 20% of face and get near free postage!

So they would send 2000 catalogues in vans to the PO there who cancelled them and placed into USPS mainstream.

I'd regularly receive such items here.

There was no profit to UN from this, as the money had been banked decades back for the mint stamps!

Worse, the USPS charged the UN the UPU rates for transmitting this mail essentially, so they lost big money on the deal.

They plugged the loophole somehow - others might remember how. As I recall they limited the number of pieces that could be mailed in a day to 10 or something? That closed the floodgates.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

tick4d

Post by tick4d »

Global Administrator wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2020 12:25

UN new issue stamps were wildly overspeculated in ...
Some NYC dealers got cunning and worked out they could mail their auction catalogues and price lists from the UN office in NYC plastered with this wallpaper, and it was all legal. They could buy the wallpaper for 20% of face and get near free postage!

I'd regularly receive such items here.

There was no profit to UN from this, as the money had been banked decades back for the mint stamps!

Worse, the USPS charged the UN the UPU rates for transmitting this mail essentially, so they lost big money on the deal.
Here is a cover I received, mailed 2015, complete with 1980-1990 era UN stamps in US currency denominations, mailed at the UN by a mid-town stamp dealer. Forgive the shadows please.

If either of you want it let me know. It’s yours - no charge.

Attachments
B1FE41AD-24D5-47EA-8239-2BB37E9F6B2F.jpeg
B586A46F-8063-4628-B09A-1B0687C38A24.jpeg

aerogi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by aerogi »

I am a world wide collector, but UN stamps are on my ignore list.

I don't like them at all

Return to β€œShare with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”