How to make the '½' type symbols often used in stamp posting

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Atelli01
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Identifying Wilding Definitives of GB

Post by Atelli01 »

Dont like to be beaten by a machine, so i persevered and this is how is done on an Ipad

1) go to
http://www.utf8icons.com/character/189/vulgar-fraction-one-half
And copy the symbol
2) go into Settings/keyboard/shortcuts and create new shortcut
3) paste the symbol into phrase, and put 1/2 into shortcut.

Then whenever you type 1/2 it will prompt you to convert it to ½.
Or you can set up, for instance, 0.5d to convert to ½d.

Luv it.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: How to generate "£" or "½d" symbols etc on a keyboard

Post by Global Administrator »

A timely bump for those lazy members who persist on using clunky and ugly looking '2 1/2d' in headings etc, and not 2½d. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48968

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

If somebody knows, or I'll keep looking; let us know how to do it with an Android tablet.
I downloaded an extended keyboard and still can't figure it. :oops: (frustrated smiley!)
Might try seeing what Atteli01's iPad solution does.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

norvic

Post by norvic »

Bump, as there seems to be a need
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

SereneCC
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by SereneCC »

Global Administrator wrote:A timely bump for those lazy members who persist on using clunky and ugly looking '2 1/2d' in headings etc, and not 2½d. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48968
Really, does it offend so much that 1/2 or ½ is used that there is a devoted topic?
Are not the stamps more important than the typography used to discuss them?
Gents, I am starting to observe this as pethateboards.com not stampboards.com

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” comment..... a ½ wit
― Maya Angelou
:D :D :D :D

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

SereneCC wrote:
Really, does it offend so much that 1/2 or ½ is used that there is a devoted topic?
Yes it DOES matter a lot to me actually. Or this thread would not exist. :idea:

Coming from someone who has made just 6 posts in 5 months membership here, I can only assume you have not bothered to read our rules here, but prefer to waffle on with poetry for some reason. :twisted:

Perhaps you may bother to do so please - better late than never as they say, and rule 17 in particular.
admin wrote:
17. Please Present Your Posts Thoughtfully and NEATLY

"You are what you post". You can come across to others here as either slap-dash and sloppy, and near illiterate - or neat and tidy and professional - the choice is always yours.

Some wise members even take a little time to use the "PREVIEW" button to look over their posts, to see if the image has loaded correctly, to see their HEADING makes sense and uses normal punctuation, to see whether the "Quote" feature worked, and to check the colour and bold and highlights are coded correctly etc.

Best of all they download the superb and free http://www.iespell.com tab that lets you quickly spell check every word in the post box BEFORE hitting "SUBMIT".

And they use PARAGRAPHS every couple of sentences. Vast globs of type with no paragraphs and no capital letters, and no spell check, might be just fine for quick text messages from 12 year olds, but we hopefully will not see it on stampboards.com

Headings or posts all in CAPITALS is regarded as "shouting" and very rude on the web - do NOT do it here please.

"You are what you post". Remember that. And others judge you on that. Please help us keep this board looking neat and professional. We take huge pride in how neat and professional this board has always looked. We all can do our bit. :)

norvic

Post by norvic »

SereneCC wrote:Really, does it offend so much that 1/2 or ½ is used that there is a devoted topic?
Are not the stamps more important than the typography used to discuss them?
Maya, what does 1/2d mean to you? It probably means 'one-half-of-a-penny'; what does 21/2d or 2 1/2d mean? - it is not clear.

As demonstrated elsewhere, the representation of 'one-shilling and two pence', in pre-decimalisation days, was 1/2d. 21/2d could mean 21 shillings and 2 pence.

So YES it does matter a lot, as it aids understanding. It's not typography, it's common sense. Even worse are those people who insist (on eBay especially) in writing 2.5d (ie 2 point 5, instead of 2 and a half pence).

Oh, we'll all work out what you mean, but why should we have to?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

rossi

Post by rossi »

I've found my way to do it without using the alt+code or copying and pasting.

As browser I use Chrome under Linux.

I installed the extension Insert Text
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/insert-text/abmgjcmmphkhndoahbfanhbgeekconmm

Then I customized the menu.

So for me adding those symbols it's now easy.

½ ¼ ¾

:D
No-one ever said it was easy. If it was it would be boring!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I just added the Firefox addon called "easy math" and now I just click ½ on the menu and hey presto I get ½.

It also gives you the set of ⁰¹²³⁴⁵ and ₀₁₂₃₄₅ at the click of the mouse.
½⅓⅔¼¾⅕⅖⅗⅘⅙⅚⅛⅜⅝⅞≠≈≥≤ :D

Looking for the £ symbol now.

Didn't even think of that before, thanks Rossi! :D

Found another addon called Zombie Keys and now I have £$€. Sweet, no code to remember and my keyboard gives me a £ when I press shift-alt-4 (the rhs alt) :D

Still looking for an Android one for my tablet.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote:I just added the Firefox addon called "easy math" and now I just click ½ on the menu and hey presto I get ½.
I'll try that as well! Downloaded, just waiting until I restart Firefox - and then we'll see how it works on the Mac :-)

norvic

Post by norvic »

Update on easyMath 0.8.3

Instructions provided don't all work on my iMac as set up:

"pressing <ctrl>+<alt>+<m>" -- does nothing; (I tried alternative <cmd>+<alt>+<m> and got an option to change resolution and that included a button to 'rotate')

The menu option to add easyMath to the sidebar works, as does the quicker option of pressing the easyMath toolbar button, once it has been dragged into the toolbar.

Thus I can now display
½ ⅓ ⅔ ¼ ¾ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ⅟∏ ∑ ∂∫ √ ∆∞ ° ∩ α β π Ω and super- and sub-script numbers for algebraic formulae; if that last ever comes to be necessary on Stampboards, I will be very surprised :!:

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Tried to download 'easy math' and my virus checker ESET says it is a bad news site -
And will not let me proceed. Can't even over-rode it!

norvic

Post by norvic »

I didn't use the website; Firefox users simply use Firefox menus to get browser add-ons via the Mozilla website.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Glen, your not downloading easyMath, that screenshot is something else.
I just clicked add-ons in my Firefow menu (Tools, Add-ons) and it takes you to their add-on link. (There's nothing wrong with the add-on.)

Then type in easy math (which used to be called "insert symbol") and let Firefox install it direct from the manufacturer.

I think you using a 3rd party site to download. Often they pop up with all sorts of other suggestions which you have to get past before letting you get the download you wanted.

I'll check what IE does for this as well...

edit: Tried IE and its driving me nuts, been so long since I used it. It seems what they call Add-ons aren't what Firefox call's Add-ons. Can't locate one for IE. Search takes you to websites that say use the character map to copy paste!

memphre
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by memphre »

Help

I was so proud of being on Mac and having the «Special Characters» option under the «Edit» menu. :(

Now, I have updated my OS to Maveriks :( :( :( :(

The «Special Characters» option is still there under the «Edit» menu, but this upgrade is an awful regression. The Special Characters on offer are mostly childish images and smilies. Gone are the various alphabets, accents, mathematical notations and everything that was useful. In are the «cute» symbols that can enliven your Facebook entries but are no more useful than that.

Has anyone found an extension, preferably under Chrome, otherwise under Firefox, that puts the so-called special characters at your easy disposal, like the Mac OS used to? I have found extensions both under Chrome and Firefox that are useful for accented and language-specific letters, but none that would include mathematical signs and useful fraction values.

Memphre
After 25 years as a loyal user, angry with Apple for this piss-poor «upgrade»
I'm also Memphre on Delcampe. Always about 15,000 items in my Delcampe store: stamps, postcards and postal history. See it here: http://www.delcampe.net/boutiques/memphre

Cyphrex
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Cyphrex »

Love to use ASCII characters, just hate having to look them up. Very useful once you get it on the page or copied onto your digital clipboard. 8)
We are all pawns in the Kings' game of chess, least we lose our heads.
-self

norvic

Post by norvic »

memphre wrote:Help

I was so proud of being on Mac and having the «Special Characters» option under the «Edit» menu. :(

Now, I have updated my OS to Maveriks :( :( :( :(

The «Special Characters» option is still there under the «Edit» menu, but this upgrade is an awful regression. The Special Characters on offer are mostly childish images and smilies. Gone are the various alphabets, accents, mathematical notations and everything that was useful. In are the «cute» symbols that can enliven your Facebook entries but are no more useful than that.

Has anyone found an extension, preferably under Chrome, otherwise under Firefox, that puts the so-called special characters at your easy disposal, like the Mac OS used to? I have found extensions both under Chrome and Firefox that are useful for accented and language-specific letters, but none that would include mathematical signs and useful fraction values.

Memphre
After 25 years as a loyal user, angry with Apple for this piss-poor «upgrade»
You don't say which browser you are using for which Maverick doesn't have the range you want. I would suggest looking under Mac help or preferences to add more fonts/alphabets.

Or do what I do when I have similar problems. Google something like

"where have the special characters gone in Maverick?" tor

"upgrade to Maverick has lost all mathematical characters"

because somebody else has probably already asked and it is on one of the Apple or other forums somewhere and google will find that or similar.

IaninParga
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by IaninParga »

I have sticky notes and you can put all the characters you want in a vertical line down the left hand side of the note(s). Shortcut on bottom bar, click, swipe Ctrl C, and then paste in. Click shortcut again and stickies disappear! Works for me.

Ian
GREECE - I collect. If you collect, or buy or sell; would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

biglff
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by biglff »

Hi all. I just use Microsoft works processor type everything out copy paste.

On the Microsoft works processor click insert
Click special character put your mouse over the page and scroll up and down
Double click on the character.

John.

biglff

Post by biglff »

Sorry all got to the end forgot subject.
(on a keyboard)

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

So you find "open works, insert, special character, scroll to find, double click" faster than alt0189? (= ½ by the way) :shock:

compoundperf

Post by compoundperf »

½ £ ½ ¼ ¾ well well all I needed was a new key board I have tried in vane to make the Alt 0189 work for yonk`s.

Regards

C . P .
David
Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

biglff

Post by biglff »

Hi Allanswood.
yes its not faster than that for one that you can remember
Its remembering them all a lot of numbers there is 1.000s
And you have all the rest of the tools there.

Or just go to start menu
type character map.
There is a lot more characters in works.

John

biglff

Post by biglff »

On keyboard
Start button type character map press enter.
Use tab button to move around on Font. Help. Select. Copy. Or character.
On character use arrows buttons to go left right up down press select then copy
Fig ten Enter up down arrow button for close and press enter
Press Edit button use arrow down to paste.

Hope it helps.
John.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Allanswood wrote:ALT 0162 ¢ (cents)
ALT 0163 £ (British Pound)
ALT 0128 € (Euro)
ALT 0165 ¥ (Yen)

ALT 0189 ½
ALT 0188 ¼
ALT 0190 ¾
ALT 0247 ÷
ALT 0185 ¹
ALT 0178 ² (Squared)
ALT 0179 ³ (Cubed)
ALT 0176 ° (Degrees)
ALT 0169 © (Copyright)
ALT 0174 ® (Registered)

For here, you only need to know these ones John, not the whole lot. Use a post it note and stick it on your monitor.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote:
Allanswood wrote:ALT 0162 ¢ (cents)
ALT 0163 £ (British Pound)
ALT 0128 € (Euro)
ALT 0165 ¥ (Yen)

ALT 0189 ½
ALT 0188 ¼
ALT 0190 ¾
ALT 0247 ÷
ALT 0185 ¹
ALT 0178 ² (Squared)
ALT 0179 ³ (Cubed)
ALT 0176 ° (Degrees)
ALT 0169 © (Copyright)
ALT 0174 ® (Registered)
For here, you only need to know these ones John, not the whole lot. Use a post it note and stick it on your monitor.
I wouldn't bother with some, using 'c' for cent/s
(C) for Copyright

and I've never seen (R) for registered used here. For the sake of 3 letters I would ditch ¥ as well, and write Yen :D

norvic

Post by norvic »

Needs a bump for new members

norvic

Post by norvic »

From the new Gambia thread, it seems this needs to be bumped again so we don't have any more 1 1/2d stamps!

norvic

Post by norvic »

Let's give this another bump for the benefit of Princestamps writing about Irish stamps, and anybody else who is new or has forgotten how to generate the ½d!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Timely bump - we just had a "1/2 Bantam" heading and the new member was not talking about a chicken salad LUNCH!

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53334

norvic

Post by norvic »

We've taken our eye off this one - we just had a 41/2d postcard airmail rate over here :!: 8)

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Hah! Just edited that one before I saw your note, Ian... :wink:

norvic

Post by norvic »

Monthly bump :D
(a couple of weeks late!)

Wayne1951
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

GB "Pound" symbol?

Post by Wayne1951 »

Hi

How do I get a Pound symbol in my posting? If I want to say $50 that is easy but if I want to say 50 pounds how do I do it? Thanks.

Wayne
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

Chris55

Re: GB "Pound" symbol?

Post by Chris55 »

Hi Wayne,

Alt+ 0163

Cheers,
Chris
"Consider the postage stamp, son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there." Josh Billings [Henry Wheeler Shaw (April 21, 1818 – October 14, 1885)]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Another timely bump. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Wayne1951

Re: GB "Pound" symbol?

Post by Wayne1951 »

Chris55 wrote:Hi Wayne,

Alt+ 0163

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks Chris.

Wayne
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

hutch
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by hutch »

Well, I have tried for ages to get all those different symbols working for me!

The only ones I have any success with are: €, ¼, ½, ¾, ‘, ². These are all using Ctrl. Alt. and numbers 1-9.

Pounds and the like will just not work. I noticed before that someone said they changed their keyboard!? How does that work? What would I be looking for in a new keyboard?

hutch
I am having fun collecting WW and Indian States.

chipg
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by chipg »

for the £ sign, hold down the "Alt" button and type 0163 on the numeric keypad. Then let the "Alt" key up. When you let up on the Alt key, the £ sign will appear.

If your keyboard doesn't have a separate numeric keypad, such as a laptop, look for the little numbers above the letters on the main keyboard (on mine, they're over on the right side of the keyboard - over I,O,P; K,L,;, etc. On mine, I have to also hold down the "Fn" key to activate those keys as the temporary numeric keypad.

Chip

hutch

Post by hutch »

Well, I'll be b.....ed! I have been using the numbers above the keyboard...not the dedicated numeric pad to the right!

Guess what!? £ £ £ £

:D :D :lol: :lol: :D :D

Thanks chipg

patg

Post by patg »

I've been trying to find out how to do that on an iPad. Finally found out today!! :D

Hold down the $ and these others will show up for selection:
Not sure what the W one is?

$ ₩ £ ¢ € ¥

Also if you hit the [ #+= ] pad (€£¥). But no ¢ :( (I'm still learning my way around)
:D "I don't have a lot - But I like what I got" :D

doug

Post by doug »

patg wrote: Not sure what the W one is?
It is a Korean won, both North and South use it.

norvic

Post by norvic »

hutch wrote:Well, I'll be b.....ed! I have been using the numbers above the keyboard...not the dedicated numeric pad to the right!

Guess what!? £ £ £ £

:D :D :lol: :lol: :D :D

Thanks chipg
We probably should have told you that a long time ago :lol: When I was using a PC rather than a Mac, it was always the number pad rather than the numbers under the function keys.

hutch

Post by hutch »

:shock: Now they tell me!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

hutch wrote:Well, I'll be b.....ed! I have been using the numbers above the keyboard...not the dedicated numeric pad to the right!

"When In Doubt, Read The Instructions"

Great Life Motto. :) This was one of the first posts in this thread -
Kev wrote:The numeric block on the right of the keyboard must be used too!

I have a list of similar shortcuts stuck on the side of my computer.

Cheers, Kev.
Nothing has changed in those ensuing 6 years! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by ewen s »

What about for those of us who post mainly from our phones?

I can do this at work easily (½) but the only way I can find to do this on my phone is by searching, copying and then pasting. This sort of mucking around is quite fiddly and often a post will disappear while I am searching in another window.

I have taken to writing a new post in a text message box first so I can past all my photobucket links in, but still I can see no way to type a correct fraction as requested.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Just for the old along the top numbers...

Using the Ctrl+Alt and then pick a number off the top row on the keyboard:
5=€
6=¼
7=½
8=¾

Can't find £ though

Although I finally found "paragraph" ;=¶ :D

As for phones, it might have more to do with the OS (iOS, Android, Win) and the phone model, as while I can't find ½ I do have £!

Plus I can change the keyboard layout, plus you should be able to download a keyboard app - I did for the tablet. Funny enough it was called "Hackers" keyboard.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ewen s wrote:What about for those of us who post mainly from our phones?
My phone is admittedly a little dated now, but the large keyboard on it is very helpful to me.

However it is not yet connected to the internet as far as I can see, so nothing for me to worry about there. 8)

norvic

Post by norvic »

Time for a bump, methinks.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:I have found that this works very well and you don't have to remember any keystrokes. Also laptops don't have a numeric keypad for the ALT+keystroke function. :D

As DarrenK suggested above use the "Character Map" that is standard with Windows
I don't have a desktop, only laptop, so always did a copy-paste of things like £ ... have pinned the Character Map to the taskbar now. (Its easier to find in Windows 8, just use the search box to find the app).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”