How to make the '½' type symbols often used in stamp posting

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: How to generate "£" or "½d" symbols etc on a keyboard

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:And for these shortcuts to work you MUST have the "Num Lock" key ON. :idea:
The Sheriff refers to the Alt+number shortcuts on Microsoft Windows operating systems, of course.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

The Sheriff also refers to those that actually have numeric keypads on their computer. Many Laptops don't - so its typing across the top for them! :mrgreen:

Norvic - the "Philistines" rule 95% of the world. You probably have a "'Long live Beta" t-shirt to! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

punter
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by punter »

½ …“ …” ¼ ¾ There, I've done it 8)

After all these years thanks to Norvic, I have produced fractions on my Mac.

Never, ever knew that "characters" existed at the bottom of the edit menu :mrgreen:
How could I have missed it? and why wasn't I told before? And it's so,so easy.

If it wasn't so early I'd open a bottle of bubbly :wink:

This has made me the happiest I've been since Julia got defeated in the election - Oops, sorry I'm getting ahead of myself!

Norvic, with that little bit of info, you did more for me than the Apple staff in my city could do. The ˜€˜£˜ ˜¤¨–© idiots.
I'd send you a bottle of Bolli but you will have to show me how to do that on my Mac as I'm not sure how :oops:

I will now become a tragic 'characters' poster and it's your fault. ✄ it out, I won't blame you.
My grateful thanks
Winding down after 40 or more years of accumulating.

norvic

Post by norvic »

punter wrote: Norvic, with that little bit of info, you did more for me than the Apple staff in my city could do. The ˜€˜£â˜ ˜¤¨–© idiots.
I'd send you a bottle of Bolli but you will have to show me how to do that on my Mac as I'm not sure how :oops:
Well, these seems appropriate then:
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

rwlow0
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by rwlow0 »

The short answer is:

Computers (including Macs) are designed to be sold world-wide, so keyboards, fonts, character sets etc are all adjustable; it's also possible for software to adjust all of these when it runs - this is basically how you're able to, for example, run a foreign language word-processor on say an English based machine. There are different versions of Operating Systems such as Windows XP for different countries - France for example likes to see French rather than English on the screen when they ask for Help when using say Excel.

So, what you get when you type something like say Alt-136 depends on quite a few factors:

* what application is running
* what is the nationality of the O/S
* what is the nationality of the keyboard
* what's the active font
etc etc etc

If you're in Australia you're probably running an Australian English version of an operating system with time synched to an Australian time zone and you probably have a US English keyboard (because US English keyboards are what you get by default and there's not not much difference between the two).

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I'm sorry but I would tend to disagree. :o
There are over 3,000 ALT + xxxx keys used to produce various on screen characters.

I'm sure you will find that it is an International Code (unicode) that was agreed to years ago, so that the ½ key is always in the same hex or alt location regardless of what language you are using. That is its assigned location.

If there was no code - you could never comunicate with anyone outside your language! Any system generated results would end up as gibberish.

Some installed font generators however are not programmed with all available symbols. But the main and most often used such as Arial, Calibri and Times Roman usually have all of them.

I can flick through on my computer French, Cryllic, Arabic, English, Scientific and Monetary symbols etc, copy and paste whatever you would like to see even though my system is based on English. :D

Ø ݘ Ûž ᾬ ₯ ê §
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote: I can flick through on my computer French, Cryllic, Arabic, English, Scientific and Monetary symbols etc, copy and paste whatever you would like to see even though my system is based on English. :D

Ø ݘ Ûž ᾬ ₯ ê §
And whether or not we can see them depends on our computers, not yours :!: Number 2 & 3 in your sequence don't show on mine.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Ah that is the Arabic.
Sorry, I didn't mean that everyone will see all symbols and lettering...
PS I thought you used a Mac?

I guess is may also depend on what font your system uses to show stampboard posts?
As I can't pick it but it looks Calibri (or Arial).
But basic international symbols will still show.

punter

Post by punter »

I'm just very happy to be able to do this - ½ ¼ etc. after years of not knowing.
Thanks again to Norvic.

As for all the other bull†„†ˆ€’™¨ "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn".
Winding down after 40 or more years of accumulating.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote:Ah that is the Arabic.
Sorry, I didn't mean that everyone will see all symbols and lettering...
PS I thought you used a Mac?
I don't seem to have any Arabic fonts installed.

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

I think it's time to give this thread a bump!
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Skippy

Post by Skippy »

£ is ALT156, ½ is ALT171
£ ½
yay did it, thanks
sticky note done :wink:

Collecting - Stamps, poster stamps and covers that feature Kangaroos.
Wanted: Illustrated Tourist cover of "Waratah Park", Sydney, NSW. Australia

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Skippy - they are 2 great symbols to conquer for ALL stamp collectors .. I have a little sticky note on my keyboard with both! :mrgreen:

davo
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Cash and other Symbols

Post by davo »

Glen. Regarding your comments on the topic heading "Printing on back of 1915 1/2 stamp" I am fully aware of the way to use the fn & alt keys to come up with symbols but for some unknown reason my computer will not generate symbols right now. Today was the first time I have tried to generate a symbol for about 4 months.

I have just come back from holidays and tried to insert a symbol for halfpenny (pre-decimal coinage) but the fn + alt + blue number did not work. I tried for several minutes and also tried using the digits + the alt key, no joy. Rather that spend to much time on just a symbol, I merely typed (1/2 - but getting a bit frustated I unfortunately forgot the 'd'). I have seen 1/2d used many times as a cash amount.

I still cannot do it on my notebook, I'll call the service bods sometime this week or talk to my son in law, but it is not the most urgent thing I have on at the moment.
Davo from Oz

traralgon3844

Re: Cash and other Symbols

Post by traralgon3844 »

I can't seen to generate ½ £ etc on my notebook either. (No numeric keypad)

At home using the numeric keypad is fine using 'alt' 0163 etc.

If I have time I cut and paste the symbol from another entry.

Perhaps another answer is to have a dozen or so symbols saved into a word document and you can cut and paste.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by fromdownunder »

MOD HAT ON

davo, I believe that this belongs on the technical thread rather than a stamp thread, so am moving it there. I must state that often the "shortcuts" don't work for me either.

MOD HAT OFF

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

Diver Pete
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by Diver Pete »

You can also cut and paste from as ASCII list which is what I do as the <alt> + <number> has never worked for me on my notebook...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge........

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Well I do not mind how it is acheived but we do NOT start threads here with "1/2 stamp" in headings when " ½d stamp" was meant.

reddies
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by reddies »

davo wrote:Glen. Regarding your comments on the topic heading "Printing on back of 1915 1/2 stamp" I am fully aware of the way to use the fn & alt keys to come up with symbols but for some unknown reason my computer will not generate symbols right now. Today was the first time I have tried to generate a symbol for about 4 months.

I have just come back from holidays and tried to insert a symbol for halfpenny (pre-decimal coinage) but the fn + alt + blue number did not work. I tried for several minutes and also tried using the digits + the alt key, no joy. Rather that spend to much time on just a symbol, I merely typed (1/2 - but getting a bit frustrated I unfortunately forgot the 'd'). I have seen 1/2d used many times as a cash amount.

I still cannot do it on my notebook, I'll call the service bods sometime this week or talk to my son in law, but it is not the most urgent thing I have on at the moment.
Davo,

With the Greatest of respect to you, if your PC has the Fn and scroll keys etc, it WILL work if you follow Admins' procedure found in Search. No one mucked it up as much as me when first trying everything out. You will find he was spot on. DON'T waste money on a service Bod. :idea: :wink: :)

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

The only time it does not work for me I have forgotten to press the Num Lock key.

reddies
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by reddies »

Davo,

So I don't confuse you, my Number Lock is written very small in Blue on the Scroll key. Sorry about that. :oops:

kiwidaytrader
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by kiwidaytrader »

This is brilliant. For years I have had to go to google, type in the symbol as a word, then cut and paste the choices of symbols it gave me.

Thanks for this wonderful thread of shortcuts I never knew existed.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Just a reminder for anyone who can't seem to key in the alt+combo numbers...
Find and put the "Character Map" on your screen as an Icon.

ALL the available characters are there just select / copy / paste, no actual typing or keying in of any code, no need to fiddle with num lock / blue keys / function keys /no need to google etc.

Å’ ÆŸ ÊŠ â…› ⅝ ¼ ½ © ℵ ® ¥ ¢ € £ â…“ â…”

From memory I moved mine from my "Control Panel" onto the desktop as an Icon.

reddies
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by reddies »

kiwi daytrader wrote:This is brilliant. For years I have had to go to google, type in the symbol as a word, then cut and paste the choices of symbols it gave me.

Thanks for this wonderful thread of shortcuts I never knew existed.
Kiwi Day Trader,

Just a little tip when turning ON your PC. Always go to the 'Re-cycle Bin' and empty deleted items. Benefit is slight load speed increase, and, files that are accidentally deleted they are easily put back without the UNWANTED. :idea: :)

norvic

Post by norvic »

reddies wrote:Just a little tip when turning ON your PC. Always go to the 'Re-cycle Bin' and empty deleted items. Benefit is slight load speed increase, and, files that are accidentally deleted they are easily put back without the UNWANTED. :idea: :)
How do you easily put back an accidentally deleted file if you have emptied the recycle bin?

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Hehehe, you don't without the right recovery software! And that isn't suppled with Windows either.

Reddies, how many hundreds of deleted files does it take to slow your system down? I've never had a slower system due to deleted files.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

A timely BUMP!

¢ Cent sign = ALT + 0162
£ British Pound = 0163
¬ Euro currency = 0128
¥ Japanese Yen = 0165

ALT + 0189 ½
0188 ¼
0190 ¾
0247 ·
0185 ¹
0178 ²
0179 ³
0176 °
0169 ©
0174 ®

norvic

Post by norvic »

Time to bump again as we have had some more 2 1/2d stamps being shown :?

norvic

Post by norvic »

Six weeks on, time for another bump to page 1. :D
Happy Christmas
✱ ✲ ✶ ✻ ✼ ✽ ❅ ❄ ❆ ❃ ♬
(all these can be found on most keyboard extras)

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Help!!
I have just been issued with a new iPad from work - having a lot of fun exploring it but so far haven't worked out how to do ½ or other common fractions.
Can anyone more mac-savvy assist?

Thanks
Margo
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Jacob here.

I have tried all these instructions for these 1/2 and pound symbol and they will not work.

I have tried turning num lock on / off and all these type things :twisted: :evil:

Can sombody help me :?:
You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Jacob wrote:Jacob here.

I have tried all these instructions for these 1/2 and pound symbol and they will not work.

I have tried turning num lock on / off and all these type things :twisted: :evil:

Can sombody help me :?:
Jacob,
Tell us what sort of kit you are using - PC, laptop, Mac, macbook - and what op system and browser.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Jacob here.

i am using a lap top with win vista . browser explorer

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

GlenStephens

Re: How to generate a "£" sign on a keyboard

Post by GlenStephens »

ozstamps wrote:It does vary for sure.

On a laptop I am using now I need to press:

Fn and ALT together and then for NUMBERS you need to use the blue numbers printed on the LETTER keys, not the numbers row up top.

I.e. Fn and ALT and then J, I, O

Glen
Jacob .. does this help -- or does the laptop have the 9 number keys to right hand side of keyboard?

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Jacob here.

Mr Glen it will not work :evil: :twisted: https://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif

This is sending me nuts. https://bestsmileys.com/panic/2.gif

This is my lap top key board.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Try this in order shown

1. Ensure NUM LOCK key is on

2. Hold down the 2 Fn and Alt keys together with left hand

3. Hit 156 at right with right hand while others still held down

4. You should get -

£

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

£ £ £

Jacob here

Thanks Mr Stephens that works.

I am a bit sad at the moment with all the floods and my aunts place is flood out again and all the hurt Toowoomba people. :(

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Jacob here

Mr Glen with the 1/2 how do you do that one :?:

Thanks for helping me jacob. :mrgreen: :D

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Same process but use 171 not 156.

READ the thread Jacob .. this has all been typed out before many times!

½

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

½
Thanks Mr Glen all done. :D :mrgreen:

MikeC99
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by MikeC99 »

Thanks to everyone for the tips on creating these symbols. I just joined stampboards but before when I needed the ¢ or other monetary symbols I used the character map. You can learn something every day on this site.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Here we go again, time to bounce this up for newcomers.

norvic

Post by norvic »

I think one of the mods should diarise bumping this - it's been 6 weeks, I didn't realise it had been so long! :D

Perhaps it should even be a sticky - but then we might get too many sticky threads. :(

mikeg

Post by mikeg »

I have never been able to get any of those 'alt' functions to work on my various IBM laptops that I use.

I just placed a shortcut to the character map on my screen- easy to access and I don't have to remember anything :lol:

norvic

Post by norvic »

mikeg wrote:I have never been able to get any of those 'alt' functions to work on my various IBM laptops that I use.

I just placed a shortcut to the character map on my screen- easy to access and I don't have to remember anything :lol:
I believe Microsoft Word (and certainly Mac systems) also have a menu option for "insert special character' which is the other place to find the 'funnies', and the mathematical symbols.

On Macs, also, pressing alt and most of the keyboard characters produces something useful:

1-0 produces ¡ € # ¢Â âˆžÂ §Â ¶Â - 
and with shift: ª ºÂ  ⁄ â„¢ ‹ › fi fl c ° ·
Q-P produces œ ∑ ´Â ®Â â€ Â ¥Â Â¨ ^ ø π
and with shift Œ „ ‰ Â Ê Á Ë È Ø ∏
A-L produces å ß ∂ ƒ ©Â Ë™Â âˆ†Â ËšÂ Â¬ (yes, u/c Delta from K, Copyright symbol from G!),
Š͠ΠϠ̠ӠԠ Ò in upper case
Z-M produces Ω ≈ '   ∫ ~ µ  (v has no result),
Û Ù Ç ◊ ı ˆ ˜ in upper case

ivqii
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by ivqii »

I have created a Worddoc with the ones I most need i.e.

¼

½

¬

©

and then put a shortcut to the document on desktop

Only 5 to look for and a simple cut and paste operation - another way of skinning the same cat
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

norvic

Post by norvic »

A month has passed, so another bump for this

½ ¼ ¾ …›

tonyclayton
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by tonyclayton »

I have always felt that the lack of ability to easily type special characters is a function that is very much lacking on a PC. When I operate using RISCOS, which is the operating system that the old Acorn machines used (and which I can now run using a program called Virtual Acorn), then typing those special characters was easy. Alt-c gave ¢, Alt-{ followed by a vowel gave an acute accent on the vowel, while Alt-} followed by a vowel gave a grave accent on the vowel. Particularly easy were Alt-4 ( ¼) Alt-5 ( ½) and Alt-6 ( ¾)

On my machine the codes some of you have given for these produce totally different symbols, so as you may have a different character set what you see might differ.

I still use RISCOS for a great deal of my work as it also has very powerful machine-code software that I find easier to use than Microsoft's Office Suite.

selvedge
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: How to generate "

Post by selvedge »

Jacob wrote:Jacob here.

Mr Glen it will not work :evil: :twisted: https://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif

This is sending me nuts. https://bestsmileys.com/panic/2.gif

This is my lap top key board.
Hey Jacob, Try this method for generating the special numbers and symbols.

Click start and open "All Programs"
Go to "Accessories" and open them.

Go to the "System Tools" menu and let that open.

You should see a menu called "Character Map". Right click on this program and select "create shortcut"

Now close all the menus and go to your desktop.

Double click the "Character Map" icon

When it opens you will see a massive selection of characters including $, $

tonyclayton

Post by tonyclayton »

selvedge wrote:
You should see a menu called "Character Map". Right click on this program and select "create shortcut"

Now close all the menus and go to your desktop.

Double click the "Character Map" icon
Even better is 'Pin to Start Menu' which gives you permanent access at any time

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”