Stampboards can be a nightmare to navigate?

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Astra
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Stampboards can be a nightmare to navigate?

Post by Astra »

Dear administrators,

I'm a new keen member, retired and assume my mind is in one piece....but I cannot navigate your sight and it is driving me crazy. That's beside of the huge amount of wasted time and it is the reason why I haven't joined years ago as I never got past your opening page.

Basically, it's never obvious where to find anything, that includes your instruction to do something ( or else ). I'm not even confident this message is in the right post. A case of clicking on something and hoping for the best.

As an example, the search boxes never provide a solution to 'go to whatever'.

Where do I go from here?

Kind regards,
Astra

muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: Stampboards is a nightmare to navigate

Post by muruk »

Hi Astra,

It's a site, not a sight.

I agree that getting started is difficult. I had a lot of trouble when I started, but that's not Stampboards' fault. Anyone who does not have familiarity with bulletin boards will have trouble until they get used to how things work.

Actually, as far as bulletin boards go, I have now found Stampboards to be much easier to navigate than many others.

The members here have a wealth of knowledge, and it is well worth persisting in order to learn the ropes.

The two links I mostly use are:

"View New Posts" which brings up all the recent discussions.

"Board Index" if I want to start a new topic, or ask a question.

It will come easier with a little practice. Important thing is to read the screen to see what's accessible.

And yes, "Wanted to Buy" is not the right section for this enquiry.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Like most things in life - FIRST READ the instructions. :mrgreen:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

It works for near everything from using your TV remote control to opening a car of sardines. :)

You have made your first Roll Call post - well done, and reading the above will help a lot.

I've moved your thread from the WANTED TO BUY Forum (coff) to where it should have been. :mrgreen:

Admin
Astra wrote:
Really?

They work every time for me. The one at base of each page is a site specific one we pay google to run. They are a pretty well known name in search engines. :mrgreen:

Click the link they suggest and you are good to go.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

bazza4338
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Stampboards can be a nightmare to navigate?

Post by bazza4338 »

Here is the Search Box at the bottom of the page that Glen has directed you to.

As an example, I typed in Yeppoon as a search term and I received 68 responses, each having the word Yeppoon in their text.

Now I would go through each of the responses until I found the specific Topic re Yeppoon that I was interested in by clicking on the blue "View".

MarkM
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by MarkM »

bazza4338 wrote:Here is the Search Box at the bottom of the page that Glen has directed you to.

As an example, I typed in Yeppoon as a search term and I received 68 responses, each having the word Yeppoon in their text.

Now I would go through each of the responses until I found the specific Topic re Yeppoon that I was interested in by clicking on the blue "View".
I've only been on here for a month or so, but I agree that it can be a bit of a challenge at first. BUT the search function above has made it a lot easier once I realised it is there, plus the fun with these sorts of boards is the fun of exploring and finding something else to read up on or get advice from much earlier threads.

Keep at it. It does get easier, plus the people on here have a lot to share and are willing to help.

Cheers

Mark
Last edited by MarkM on 05 Feb 2020 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Smitham »

As a regular viewer I see all sorts of topics - many of which have no interest to me (today). I help answer questions when I can and I have also asked questions on various topics and have found the information forthcoming from others, fairly quickly.

Like I said - some topics may not be of interest to me today, but the topics today are archived for easy access by anyone in the future!

Have a look around and if you do not see the topic that you are looking for (via the SEARCH function) feel free to ask. Someone will be bound to help you.

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 19-21 November 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by kuikka »

One additional thing about search:

Google search opens some kind of pop up window. I suppose some security settings could prevent that. If that would be the case, the you would truly be left with no answer to your query.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

kuikka wrote:One additional thing about search:

Google search opens some kind of pop up window. I suppose some security settings could prevent that. If that would be the case, then you would truly be left with no answer to your query.

Why do some members have to invent totally bizarre "WHAT IF" wacky scenarios to VERY simple questions, from members asking for VERY simple assistance?

WHAT specific "security settings" would prevent a simple google search link opening - can you instance one????? For goodness sakes. :shock:

Yes your computer might also explode into a giant fireball, when you use Google, or your goldfish might die, or the sun might turn green, but NONE is very likely. So why raise any of that nonsense?

This new member is in his mid 70s - I know him, and have spoken to him, and urged him to join. Do NOT confuse new members who are not very tech savvy, with all kinds of nutty and implausible and outlandish responses please. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Tried to answer to this point. Of cource, I may have misunderstood it.
Astra wrote:...

Where do I go from here?

Kind regards,
Astra
I tried to give very non-technical answer that could point to right direction, should that be the case. And I do not know this person nor know his age.

Astra

Post by Astra »

Dear Stampboard members,

Thanks for the advice so far received. On my part, I am pleased to receive it.

I'm working on it right now.

Astra

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Don't worry, Astra. Be patient and keep learning – you'll get there! Like all things, learning is an on-going process that takes time. So, continue exploring the site and it will become all the more familiar. As muruk says, these forums are much simpler compared to others out there on the world wide web.

Another useful thing I've found – I most often use the main Google webpage for searching here. So, not always the Stampboards search function. On Google's main page, I type [my search words] then followed by site:stampboards.com. This means that Google will only search for results for my search words on this website, and not across the whole internet!

Hey, if there's something you're after but cannot find, feel free to ask us here and we can help you find it too. Otherwise, maybe it'll be a chance to start your own thread and discuss something new!
Global Administrator wrote:
05 Feb 2020 09:57
Like most things in life - FIRST READ the instructions. :mrgreen:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

It works for near everything from using your TV remote control to opening a car of sardines. :)
A car of sardines? Good Lord, somehow I think I'd rather leave a can of sardines closed, shut tight! :lol:

Macky
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by Macky »

I have felt exactly the same as Astra. It’s so frustrating as I can see the wealth of information on here.

I’m persisting but I thought I would point out that I never used the search function at the bottom as it looked more like an ad, obviously seems really silly now!

Another thing that I have been completely unsuccessful at is loading an image. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m working on an iPad?? Do I need to get out my clunky old laptop?

Well at least I’ve now successfully done my first post! 😂

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Macky wrote:
07 Jul 2020 12:27

Another thing that I have been completely unsuccessful at is loading an image. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m working on an iPad?? Do I need to get out my clunky old laptop?

Well at least I’ve now successfully done my first post! 😂

The good news is, with the very recent update you can load an image directly from your phone or any device, to this board - have a practice run! -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90770

Macky

Post by Macky »

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. I’ve got lots of questions and lots to learn!

SteveF
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by SteveF »

There seem to be a lot of experts here, so could one of you tell me why, when I click on any of the headings on the front page of the site, the so-called board index page, I ALWAYS get the reply:

"You do not have the required permissions to view or read topics within this forum."

The forum will then open, and I can read or reply, as I like.

I've seen instructions from Glen and maybe others to read the instructions. Don't you realize that a thing as simple as this should not require a degree to be able to use and contribute? Whoever read the instructions for Instagram, Facebook, or eBay. You just do it.

In fact, of course, instruction manuals are largely history. Do you have one for Word, Powerpoint, Excel or Publisher. Microsoft rely on you finding out by trial and error, or using a user forum to get other users to answer your questions. They don't provide manuals, as they once did, and how they've been allowed to get away with that, is beyond me!

So that's what I'm doing now!

And the image here is not, to me, required, but Global Admin get their knickers in a twist if I don't include one...

Attachments
You don't have permissions...
You don't have permissions...

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

You click the wrong heading. The header on intense blue background gives no permission. The link below should work just fine.

SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Thank you, I can see that now.

But I still think that it's a peculiar message, it could just say "don't click the heading, click the content instead" which would be rather more useful.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

SteveF wrote:
18 Jul 2020 01:25

I've seen instructions from Glen and maybe others to read the instructions. Don't you realize that a thing as simple as this should not require a degree to be able to use and contribute? Whoever read the instructions for Instagram, Facebook, or eBay. You just do it.

Well I have breaking news for you.

Ebay and Facebook etc DO have Rules.

The same as we do.

Ours are a lottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt shorter - and like them, we ask you read them, and comply with them

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

But even so, they are too complex for you. Sad really.

The other 21,000 members seem to manage fine with them. :!:

Admin

Macky

Post by Macky »

SteveF didn’t say rules, he mentioned instructions.

I am slowly finding my way around but it has been difficult. It can be very frustrating.

Maybe it’s just the nature of these kinds of boards, I don’t know, but slowly slowly....

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

What do you need to find?

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”