How to have Google recognise + "spider" your images here?

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

castores
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

How to have Google recognise + "spider" your images here?

Post by castores »

I'm sorry moderators, I have done an extensive search and can't find the original thread that advised how to best describe an image so that it actually can be found when searched for.

Please merge this post as is appropriate - I believe it was the first (or there about) post on the thread. Something like how best to get your image recognised by Google.

Firstly... No gap between image and short description. Wow, I always left a gap so as to make it more aesthetic when posted. Don't leave a gap!

Description, short but fully comprehensive of the stamp, including SG number.

This is great advice and would mean, if we all did it.. you get the picture (or image).

This is very important information and now that I'm aware I will adhere to this...

Stampboards wants to promote newbies (like myself) and getting these images, which may be one of or the only one can only direct more people to this site. The more, the more chance of learning more.

Mods I believe you will know which thread this should be merged onto... apologies.... I couldn't find it... been looking at toooooo many topics.

Country, year, denomination,common name, etc.... Concise but complete... All image uploads should be done this way.

Cheers and happy collecting...
Last edited by castores on 15 Feb 2020 22:18, edited 5 times in total.
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: How to have Google recognise your image

Post by Global Administrator »

Castores - maybe focus on adding pars and spacing and keeping your signature to 2 lines - both just fixed. :)

But, a good point and ALL members would do well to read over this advice i gave to another member -

Figmente you have some really superb Marine stamps posted here. :mrgreen:

All that great scanning work, but google has not indexed a single one of them sadly. :(

No country, no issue year, no species - common name or Latin name, no face value, no catalogue number. NADA.

The HARD work is in doing the scans - the simple work is a short accurate description under those scans. :mrgreen:

I often see really superb scans from members, but google simply will not "see" them. And they will thus never end up being found via a google search. :idea:

The Google "spiders" that are glued to this site 24/7, sadly do not "see" anything at all looking at this kind of post above.

There are zero words for them to index, and worse, no words to index the photo to, which they will always do if they are linked.

Google "spiders" do not read the wording on a stamp photo. We need to replicate that in TEXT under each photo for it.

We are a stamp board - we all know that we are showing STAMPS, but google needs to be told these are stamps. As THAT is how people search google!

So a caption under nice scans saying something like -

Falkland Islands, 1949 UPU Centenary stamps set of 4. SG 168-171

Will mean in 2 weeks anyone searching intuitively on the web (as they do) for "Falklands 1949 UPU stamp set" will end up with that thread as link #1 most likely. :idea:

I posted the following advice to greenGO on his Railways Stamp thread -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38971

My LEADERS OF THE WORLD Railway stamps collection

He took the advice, and so far his thread has ~25,000 page views, and comes up FIRST on google searches. For text AND photos. He is very happy, and it is good for stampboards. :mrgreen:

Members bearing the following in mind will GREATLY improve google matches of images to text, and that is a WIN-WIN all round. 8)

Glen
admin wrote:To ALL members on ALL threads please bear this in mind.

Be aware if you use full captions, google picks up EVERY post so others will find your thread!

i.e. if this appears 20 times in a thread google will make this thread number search match -

"Leaders Of The World" Railway stamp issues

If it occurs once, they rank it much lower. So I changed heading from

"My L.o.W. Railway collection"

For the same reasons. Never abbreviate - google does not 'see' it then. :mrgreen:

So if you type -

Grenadines of St.Vincent
1984 "Leaders Of The World" Railway stamp issues
2nd set of 8 pairs
values: 1c, 5c, 20c, 35c, 60c, $1, $1.50, $3

and not just this -

Grenadines of St.Vincent
2nd set of 8 pairs

LOTS More people see it. :mrgreen:

Admin

and a 'p.s.' if you ensure the description is placed very close to the scan, the Google "spider" sees that, and connects the 2 when folks are searching for images.

i.e. this is OPTIMUM way to present an image and related text, so that YOUR post gets matched by google with the relevant photo.

Remember google "spiders" cannot mind-read. :) Posting a photo of the Australia 1932 Green Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp is evident visually to us, but unless the words -

Australia 1932 5/- Green Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp, SG 132,

appear as well, google will not index that.

Grenadines of St.Vincent
1984 "Leaders Of The World" Railway stamp issues
2nd set of 8 pairs
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

castores

Re: How to have Google recognise your image

Post by castores »

Thanks Glen, and for your wonderful addition to my post.

I start off trying to say a little and before I know it becomes rather large.

I will endeavour to keep my posts more readable.

I appreciate your quick reaction to this post, I think along with advice of first port of call (Hello) maybe a few pointers pointed out might be advantageous....

Another one that comes to mind is "I have lots of stamps with errors not listed". Sorry most likely all are transient, some colllect (me) but there is a difference between constant and transient.

I only mention this as, as a newbie, its taken me some time to let that sink in and others may need to be brought back to earth.
I found a NWPI SG 103ba sub-cliche - I think my first post and to my amazement, as I had no idea (not a good way to start, possibly) it's worth a $ or....).

Well everything after that was going to be at least as good. I did find some worthwhile stamps but... the pressure was on to continue to find as good. Maybe but not likely.

Happy Collecting (cr*p I appear to be becoming a stamp collector)

Concise explicit description including SG number

Google finds you

Australia 1d red KGV side face NWPI overprint SG 103ba substituted cliche (1918-22)

Please note, no toning, rust, mould, etc. Very good condition, very nice piece methinks (shows all the flaws very nicely).

I'll be checking in 20 or so minutes how well this image/description does in Google searches.

castores

Re: How to have Google recognise + spider your images here

Post by castores »

Just an update on my previous post, my image/description has not so far appeared in the top 20 searches on Google, however, another post on the same stamp (by me)
"Australian NWPI KGV 1d Red Varieties"
http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=78378
Came in at number 5.

This post has a gap between image and description yet it comes in at number 5, my newest post (description directly under image) is yet to surface on Google. I don't know what to make of it.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ALL members please note - EVERY weblink you post, click it, THEN click URL

so -

viewtopic.php?t=78378

Which cannot be cut and pasted, and then becomes

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Anyone who thinks google ''spiders'' will index anything in 20 minutes is living in Cloud Cuckoo land.

It can take days or weeks.

You still make many basic mistakes that mean your posts will NOT be effectively indexed.

Captions UNDER each photo is how it is done. Yours are not.

The most basic error near all members make is not to use the word "STAMP" in captions.

Google spiders have ZERO idea the image is of a stamp. TELL them that, and it will be indexed higher. :idea:

Australia 1d Red Die 2 stamp

will get a ton more indexing than

Australia 1d Red Die 2

As you are doing routinely.

People intuitively search using the word STAMP on google.

They do not type

Die 2 Reds

or

USA Columbus

or

Smiling Boys

They use the Word STAMP on each search. :idea: :idea: :idea:

castores

Re: How to have Google recognise + "spider" your images here

Post by castores »

Thanks GA, I believe that has all sunk in. I'm promoting the idea and still got it wrong :oops:

I have never started searches using the word 'stamp' as I assumed (damn assumptions always get me) other words in my search were unique to stamps, maybe that's why some searches end in null.

Thanks for the info on URL pasting, I should know that (was that always the case? I thought I previously had copied and pasted the URL (right click "paste URL"), possibly a dream...)

On another note, I'd just like to mention there are other search engines much more friendly and private. I don't like 'big brothers' who watch everything you do, which is what Google does, as such I use DuckDuckGo. Look it up, it is as useful as Google but doesn't keep any information on you. In these current days that's a good thing! There are other benefits as you will find if you scroll down on opening the website.

https://duckduckgo.com/?atb=v177-1

This is only suggested as an alternative to Google, many of you will be happy as it stands. I am not affiliated with DuckDuckGo in any way, I just felt those of you who might not know of it may appreciate alternatives to the standard go-to search engine.

Cheers

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

95% of the 8 billion people on earth, use the HUGE search engines like Google.

When you send 8 billion emails to somehow magically convince them all to use ducks a go go or whatever, your solution will succeed.

Until then, we use what WORKS.

JonEboy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by JonEboy »

If I may offer a perspective on this, from someone who does this for a living....

I only have 'Three Rules of Google' and Rule #1 is simple;
Google is just a machine
It has no eyes or ears and no matter how intelligent it gets, it still relies on a load of 1's and 0's to process and make sense of information.

The trick is to be able to present the information is such a way that it can make sense of, and process that information.

As Glen says above, simple things like actually telling Google what the picture is, will help.

Checking to see if your image is indexed I think I may have spotted a reason why Google is ignoring it;

It seems to expect that King George V is written as KGV not KG V with a space, so for future posts, it's worth using the naming convention that Google expects.

And whilst Duck Duck Go is an admirable project and I love the privacy angle, it rarely gets the best results to more general searches. And until anyone (Bing, Yahoo to anyone else) cracks that, Google is de facto, the best Search Engine on the planet.

Jon

PS - I'm going to use Mod powers to amend your post above and let's see if Google will pick it up.
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

castores

Post by castores »

Global Administrator wrote:95% of the 8 billion people on earth, use the HUGE search engines like Google.

When you send 8 billion emails to somehow magically convince them all to use ducks a go go or whatever, your solution will succeed.

Until then, we use what WORKS.
Only suggesting you have a look at it :?

Give it a try, open two pages (Google and DuckDuckGo obviously) and do the same search.

I just tried 'violent corner stamp', results as follows -

Google: StampBoards does not appear in the top 10
DuckDuckGo: StampBoards appears as Number 1, Images: first 3 pictures are StampBoards.com

I only offered it up as a good alternative to other search engines and really StampBoards.com should be interested in ensuring it is reaching all people irrespective of their preferred search engine. I have no idea how other search results may vary but DuckDuckGo.com worked very well on my first (results) check.

I prefer DuckDuckGo to Go ogle :wink: and so was just offering it up as an alternative (as previously said).

Can I say, and I believe you would be the first to say this to others who suggested 'what we got works, why change', that 'with that attitude I'm surprised you're not living in a cave painting on walls'.

Even old dogs can be taught new tricks :lol:
Go on, give it a try :)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I repeat .. after you email the other 8 BILLION folks on the planet insisting they use www.Hillbilly.com as you think they all should, report back and let us know how you fared.

In the meantime we are pragmatists, and work to how GOOGLE indexes things best.

If you read YOUR heading we have answered in detail YOUR question.

www.Hillbilly.com might have the best search engine ever invented, but if no-one uses it, who cares.

We allow back-end access to HUNDREDS of minor search engines and you just proved yourself that they index us.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Google has already indexed the above KGV Red, on another thread.

However people generally need to take care in what they type. The other thread references KVG!

For the stamp above this is the description:
Australia 1d red KG V side face NWPI overprint SG 103ba substituted cliche (1918-22)

Can I suggest that some of that is not required?
"Australia 1d red KGV NWPI SG103ba substituted cliche", would do surely?

Or even less: "Australia 1d red KGV NWPI substituted cliche"

I don't know how inclusive Google search is but the more words you use the smaller the gene pool of results is what I usually find.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

castores

Post by castores »

Global Administrator wrote:I repeat .. after you email the other 8 BILLION folks on the planet insisting they use http://www.BillyGoat.com as you think they should, report back and let us know.

In the meantime we are pragmatists and work how GOOGLE indexes things best.

http://www.BillyGoat.com might have the best search engine ever invented, but if no-one uses it, who cares.

We allow back-end access to HUNDREDS of minor search engines and you just proved yourself that they index us.
HubSpot:
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/top-search-engines

The Top 7 Search Engines, Ranked by Popularity

1. Google (over 70% of the search market share)
2. Bing
3. Baidu
4. Yahoo!
5. Yandex
6. Ask.com
7. DuckDuckGo
"Additionally, DuckDuckGo has a clean interface and only one search page, making it easier to navigate than other search engines. With an average 26,754,932 daily direct searches as of September 2018, it's slowly gaining steam in the search market."

"but if no-one uses it, who cares"

And this is a good reason why I suggested it as an alternative search engine. People do use it and the more that know about it, try it, the more it will move up that ranking.

Not such a billy goat site after all as any magpie could see. Also there is no reason why a person couldn't use both sites.

I certainly don't wish to antagonise you but you must agree the best way to become the most popular is to have a great site and be known.

"I repeat .. after you email the other 8 BILLION folks on the planet insisting they use"

When all I have suggested is people give it a try.

Hi Allanswood, don't forget "stamp"

Cheers

castores

Post by castores »

JonEboy wrote:If I may offer a perspective on this, from someone who does this for a living....

I only have 'Three Rules of Google' and Rule #1 is simple;
Google is just a machine
It has no eyes or ears and no matter how intelligent it gets, it still relies on a load of 1's and 0's to process and make sense of information.

The trick is to be able to present the information is such a way that it can make sense of, and process that information.

As Glen says above, simple things like actually telling Google what the picture is, will help.

Checking to see if your image is indexed I think I may have spotted a reason why Google is ignoring it;

It seems to expect that King George V is written as KGV not KG V with a space, so for future posts, it's worth using the naming convention that Google expects.

And whilst Duck Duck Go is an admirable project and I love the privacy angle, it rarely gets the best results to more general searches. And until anyone (Bing, Yahoo to anyone else) cracks that, Google is de facto, the best Search Engine on the planet.

Jon

PS - I'm going to use Mod powers to amend your post above and let's see if Google will pick it up.
Hi JonEboy,

Much appreciated post, I previously missed it.

I understand and agree with all you have said. I have never suggested that any other search engine is better than Google, just that there are alternatives and they should be given a try.

Thanks also for amending the title to something that may be more favourable.

I will always state, in the stamp world I am a child and look forward to any helpful information on my road ahead (I understand the lessons are never ending).

Bear with me, as you do with others, after all this site is not BBC.com (a place for posts which usually end in blind arguments).

This is StampBoards.com, promoted as a friendly site where "no question is to basic or silly"

Those seven words should always set the tone for this site.

Once, you knew nothing!

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”