*At LAST!* The NEW stampboards is near Launch day. TEST IT!

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

OldDuffer1
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: *At LAST!* The NEW stampboards is near Launch day. TEST IT!

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thanks- I guessed was the case. I have sometimes used Drafts when preparing a post with mixed text and images but obviously the method is to add the images at the end just before (previewing!) and submitting.

I see that png. images work O.K. on the Site. Is it alright to use them?

Marshalrusty
Techy Yuriy

Post by Marshalrusty »

I never use the drafts feature, so was actually quite surprised to learn that it doesn't support attachments.

I looked into it inside the phpBB development area, and the short version is that it was built 15 years ago and hasn't received a lot of love, because very few people use it.

Of course, it's possible that very few people use it, because it's not very well designed.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Actually I use it frequently Yuriy and found it very convenient. Only since the update have the attachments not been supported but I just work around it. As I do with the no Cancel tab on post a reply.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Marshalrusty
Techy Yuriy

Post by Marshalrusty »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
17 Jun 2020 09:51
Actually I use it frequently Yuriy and found it very convenient. Only since the update have the attachments not been supported but I just work around it. As I do with the no Cancel tab on post a reply.
There is a difference between embedded images and attachments. Embedded images have worked and continue to work (as they are just text, and hosted elsewhere). There were no local attachments on the old board.

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Thank you Yuriy for the explanation.

Post a reply has Save draft, Preview and Submit tabs but no cancel tab.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

I have yet to use draft on this version but discovered it earlier this year and was a frequent user. I can assure others that it was a far more convenient way of pre-preparing posts and I wish I had looked at it years ago.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

My previous post still stands - I notice that it has been discussed and virtually discarded elsewhere. A pity as the only reason it has not been extensively used is through lack of promotion. It is much more user friendly than using external word processors and transferring across.

Anyway, doubt I am going to win that one!

The attached image shows some of the new icons appearing on threads. I looked through the FAQs but could find no explanations. It is probably there somewhere. If it is could someone provide a link - if not could a list be displayed for the education of members?

Symbols.PNG

thanks
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

KevinHedley wrote:
29 Jun 2020 12:57
I looked through the FAQs but could find no explanations. It is probably there somewhere. If it is could someone provide a link - if not could a list be displayed for the education of members?

Kevin, it is bog simple - hover your cursor over each icon and it gives you the message. Several different icons give an identical message.

It seems like a total waste of space "feature" to me and I'll add Yuriy if it is easily removed totally, seeing no-one seems to be able to figure out what they are there for, or what they do.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

KevinHedley

Post by KevinHedley »

I have hovered and can see no sense in different icons having exactly the same meaning. There must be a simple explanation and I also thought they might be unnecessary. There needs to be something though as the lock and change of colour are useful.

Leave it with you as a non-urgent item.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

lesbootman
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:
17 Jun 2020 09:51
I was surprised that the cancel tab had disappeared. It is no great hassle quitting Stampboards and then going back on so I do that.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

An even more updated PhpBB software version is launched next week, and we will be one of the first boards to move over to it. :)

Yuriy told me a few issues raised by members here, have been adopted into it. :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”