*At LAST!* The NEW stampboards is near Launch day. TEST IT!

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

*At LAST!* The NEW stampboards is near Launch day. TEST IT!

Post by Global Administrator »

Yuri has now sorted numerous tech issues with the old hosting platform, where all sorts of corrupt characters were posting as weird symbols, and has now set up a brand new phpBB 3.3 board on a TEST new domain platform called -

https://new.stampboards.com/index.php

Note the new. prefix. It is a throwaway domain. Nothing posted on there will be saved. http://www.stampboards.com will of course remain this main board. 8)

The new one is PURELY a test playground/sandbox for all. Avatars on left side like here, and so on, as we will go forward with.

It is a direct copy of all data that existed until a few days back here - i.e.. a snapshot of the entire board. Your user name and password from here works there automatically.

For NORMAL posts that are to stay forever, add them here as usual.

Test it how you like, add images from where you want, your phone, your tablet, your laptop, use them in QUOTES etc, and ask questions, but remember it will be all deleted in a week or two, when the NEW board is moved over to the new platform. Anyone doing anything foolish there will wish they did NOT as our Forum rules apply. Don't bother. 8)

Report back HERE anything ** MAJOR ** we need to fix for the final migration! If you do not like the colour or font or "skin" - too bad. Any petty nonsense comments will be deleted on sight - we want to hear of REAL problems we need to do something about in advance. We want to hear about major functional issues that need addressing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can now load images direct from your laptop, tablet or phone - no need for IMGUR, or photobucket ever again. At last - try it out and see! No need to delete the "S" off https etc.

Right NOW images to 900 x 900 max are permitted here, but I just upped that to a 15% larger 1024 size - great for added stamp detail.

CMJ did an amazing job, after our Crowd Saving effort of all photobucket images, and has for months quietly transferred about a MILLION images forever onto the stampboards servers. ALL members owe him a huge vote of thanks for his 100s of hours of Volunteer work in this area behind the scenes. :idea:

There clearly are more stamp related images stored here than anywhere on the planet. Combining the images of all stamp Auction houses globally and you would not get to anywhere near this total is my guess.

A massive amount of data, and a million images, and over 6.5 million posts, is stored direct on our servers now, at my considerable cost, but we are now totally in charge of our own destiny. :mrgreen:

Working with our PHP genius in New York, we have quietly moved to totally new USA based servers, with tons of grunt, masses of secure storage, totally up to date software, and with data and stability protection firewalls and protocols that are truly Government Grade.

Come along for the ride ... we will do the real world transfer within the week - we just want the bugs sorted out First. :idea: :idea:

YOU can assist with our Beta testing. 8)

Add a brief comment here when you have had a look see.

Me, I HATE change for no reason. I want to see the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM changes possible, so the board looks much the same to someone who has not been here for 10 years, 1 year, or 1 month. A lot of the change we see is because phBB have updated and changed FIVE times since we last did. So we are stuck with 5 lots of rolling visual changes. I chose the closest "look" or "skin" possible, and the same font. 8)

The POSITIVES far outweigh the negatives for sure in this update. :)

Behind the scenes, 100 hours have been spent on this update so far.

Member here Fletches1 first set up a test board a month back on his website, for mostly Mods to play about on - see below, and after a lot of testing and ideas and suggestions, we took that input onto the new test board -

https://stampmall.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2&start=208

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

librarianc
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: *At LAST!!* The new stampboards is near Launch day. TES

Post by librarianc »

Testing was easy and many functions are simple to use.

For users who visit the new board, your familiar buttons at the bottom of the window, like quote or edit will now appear as icons in the top right corner of the window.

Email is now a thought bubble under the username and avatar at left.

This should be a great move for Stampboards.

Thanks, Glen.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

Girish Vaidya
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Girish Vaidya »

I visited the new site now. It looks different, may be will take time to get use to. I could not post an image directly from my laptop. I am a bit of a tecnosaur, so must be missing some obvious step.

I tried simple copy and paste method. Navigation through is similar to this Board design. I am happy with both the layouts.

Girish Vaidya
actors/films/cinema/Authors/artists/theater/composers/entertainment

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

I realize it is a new trial board, but I didn't see a "View New Posts" link at the top of the Board Index page.

I find it very useful on the main board, so hope it will appear on the new version.

John A

Edit:

I just found it under the "Quick Links" menu in the upper left corner.
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

cyber
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by cyber »

The new board looks good. A big "thank you" for that.

Uploading attachments does not work, as I have no permission.
Best regards
Michael
Looking for "Shilling Violet" journal, Dec. 2012 issue

Goodwin
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Goodwin »

It looks very different to the current forum. Hopefully it can be reskinned to make it look more friendly. It definitely needs a View New Posts option as mentioned above.

Mainly collecting GB, working back from QEII. Often side-tracked into Japan, GB-era Hong Kong definitives, Ceylon and Australia pre-decimal.

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

Guys,

Some things will look a little different, but all the functions will be there and the board will have the Stampboards skin. :D
Goodwin wrote:It definitely needs a View New Posts option as mentioned above.

You will find, "New Posts, etc..." in the "Quick links" drop-down menu (located at the top left), as mentioned by John A.
cyber wrote:The new board looks good. A big "thank you" for that.

I am not sure why you were not able to add an attachment, but I just uploaded an image onto the test board. :D
It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Cover Exchange Celebrating 10th Anniversary!
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

cyber

Post by cyber »

AMark wrote:

I am not sure why you were not able to add an attachment, but I just uploaded an image onto the test board. :D
Because it says I'm not permitted to do so; that's what it says in the lower left corner.
Best regards
Michael
Looking for "Shilling Violet" journal, Dec. 2012 issue

leamphil

Post by leamphil »

"View new posts" includes all the counting threads, which the old board does not. Is there a way to excluded these please ?

MarkBodiella

Post by MarkBodiella »

AMark wrote:Guys,

Some things will look a little different, but all the functions will be there and the board will have the Stampboards skin. :D

Amark, looking at everyone so far, who can post an image, they are on the list of admin/mods for the new board, librarianc, CMJ, traralgon3844 and yourself. All the normal users so far can not post an image. Perhaps permissions haven't been set to allow normal users yet.
The Great Stampboards 'Round The World Covers Races
Discussion/Sign Up Thread and Race Overview

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Posting images may be currently assigned to be a moderator privilege.

AMark

Post by AMark »

MarkBodiella wrote:
AMark wrote:Guys,

Amark, looking at everyone so far, who can post an image, they are on the list of admin/mods for the new board, librarianc, CMJ, traralgon3844 and yourself. All the normal users so far can not post an image. Perhaps permissions haven't been set to allow normal users yet.
Yes, I believe that the way the test board is set up at the moment is to only allow Mods to upload images, etc. That said, once the new board goes live all members will be able to upload images or attachments from their laptops, PCs, tablets, phones, etc... :)
October 2021 Cover Exchange Participant List ..... OR .... October 2021 Postcard Exchange Participant List

emason

Post by emason »

From the list of 'New Posts', clicking on the latest post of any subject takes you to some random point in that thread, instead of to the last post in the thread.

I hope that makes sense. :?
Best wishes,
Bill

hatter

Post by hatter »

I got that message too :(
Hatter

emason

Post by emason »

When viewing a thread with "centred" images or text, the centre formatting characters are visible and the image/text not "centred".
Last edited by emason on 22 May 2020 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,
Bill

faro
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by faro »

AMark wrote:You will find, "New Posts, etc..." in the "Quick links" drop-down menu (located at the top left), as mentioned by John A.
The full list of options is only visible when signed in, of course.
If you're not the only options are, as present, unanswered topics and "active" topics. I'm still not quite sure what the latter means as it only shows one thread as opposed to four on the current board - for me at least - and not the most recent chronologically.

If there is a way in the new board software to simulate (all) "New Posts" over an arbitrary timeframe even if not signed in as this might be more conducive to luring in new board members who can otherwise only easily see "unanswered topics" (relatively boring!).

Or are these actually hidden parameters to "Active Topics"?

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Looks very good.
I think I could upload a picture directly. Makes things much easier!
But thereafter I got the message:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Papua New Guinea stamps and postal history: www.i-ng.org/en
I am always interested in buying commercial mail from PNG.

AMark

Post by AMark »

faro wrote: The full list of options is only visible when signed in, of course.
If you're not the only options are, as present, unanswered topics and "active" topics. I'm still not quite sure what the latter means as it only shows one thread as opposed to four on the current board - for me at least - and not the most recent chronologically.

Good question faro,

The test board only shows one, "active" topic because the "Testing attachments" thread is the only thread that has been replied to. :)

For all Stampboards members, please remember that this is just a test site and nothing else. You may not get the full Stampboards experience. There will be tweaks that will have to be worked out by our tech guys and the mods. This is why we are asking all of you guys to have your input/say into this. :D This is a user friendly board after all. :D

As an aside, I have to thank our tech members for all the hard work that has gone into this. Thank you guy!!! :D

Last, I have mentioned this before but I will repeat it once again. All members, once the new Stampboards goes live, will be able to upload their images and attachments directly from their preferred devices. :D There will be NO need to have a hosting site!!! :D

Cheers!

fchd

Post by fchd »

AMark wrote: The test board only shows one, "active" topic because the "Testing attachments" thread is the only thread that has been replied to. :)
It shouldn't be, I deliberately replied to the F1 season topic just to test posting to another thread

AMark

Post by AMark »

fchd wrote:
AMark wrote: The test board only shows one, "active" topic because the "Testing attachments" thread is the only thread that has been replied to. :)
It shouldn't be, I deliberately replied to the F1 season topic just to test posting to another thread
Yes, you are correct that it should not be. However, when you replied to the F1 topic it does show that you have replied to it in the, "New posts". :) You can see your username in the, "Last Post" column. :D

AMark

Post by AMark »

Ok, I will cover some of the new "old" features of the the new version of the board. :)

This will be a post about, "Quoting" topics.

At present, all members can quote a post by pressing the "Quote" button that is locatedat the bottom right of each post.

The new version will have the, "Quote" button looking a little differently and it will be located in a different place.

The new, "Quote" button looks like the above image (") and it's located in the top right of each post. If you want to quote a post, just press that (") button. :)

Here is something neat about quoting, once you have quoted a post the quoted post will appear in your post (As it currently does on Stampboards). Furthermore, in your post the quote will appear along with a message that says, "so and so is being quoted" at the end of that phrase there will be a little blue arrow "". When you click on that blue arrow, it will take the reader to the quote that you have added to your post. :)

To be continued...

Enjoy! :)

Britcollector
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Britcollector »

Really cool !

Major congratulations to all concerned.

What is the image size limit in kb ? and how many per post ?

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

Looks nice 8)

Well done forum team :D

Only thing was the text/font seems a bit small compared to what we are used to.
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Two changes from the current format to the new format that I would like to see are:
The new topic / post reply tabs NOT next to each other and
The Notify me when a reply is posted box with an UNticked default setting.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

AMark

Post by AMark »

Britcollector wrote:Really cool !

Major congratulations to all concerned.

What is the image size limit in kb ? and how many per post ?
Hello Britcollector,

As with the current board, we encourage to get the best image quality for identification purposes. So, a 1200dpi image is fine. :)

Regarding the number of images per post, 10 is the current limit. :)

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:Two changes from the current format to the new format that I would like to see are:
The new topic / post reply tabs NOT next to each other and
The Notify me when a reply is posted box with an UNticked default setting.
It might be a good idea to vote about the default settings. People on board may have different opinion. Also, if possible, it could be different on different forums.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

We are seeing numerous threads where Stampboarders, who seem unable or unwilling to learn to edit a "quote", make successive posts requoting ad nauseum the previous poster's post with several embedded quotes. It becomes quite painful to have to scroll down/up through these wasted posts that a basically redundant.

Can you surreptitiously embed counters in the quote feature while a member is trying to concatenate numerous quotes perhaps restricting a quote to only include no more than 2 previous quotes? Or only allow one quote per post?
Time to quit. Was told what I should collect.

AMark

Post by AMark »

Rog wrote:Looks nice 8)

Well done forum team :D

Hi Rog,

The font size is set to be the same for the new version, as it is on Stampboards. :) I am not sure why you think that it's smaller? Perhaps, you are viewing the board with different devices, i.e. tablet, laptop, etc...???

AMark

Post by AMark »

Kainnikanada wrote:We are seeing numerous threads where Stampboarders, who seem unable or unwilling to learn to edit a "quote", make successive posts requoting ad nauseum the previous poster's post with several embedded quotes. It becomes quite painful to have to scroll down/up through these wasted posts that a basically redundant.

Can you surreptitiously embed counters in the quote feature while a member is trying to concatenate numerous quotes perhaps restricting a quote to only include no more than 2 previous quotes? Or only allow one quote per post?
Hi Rod,

If I understand your question correctly this is now possible, as I have indicated above. :)
AMark wrote:

Here is something neat about quoting, once you have quoted a post the quoted post will appear in your post (As it currently does on Stampboards). Furthermore, in your post the quote will appear along with a message that says, "so and so is being quoted" at the end of that phrase there will be a little blue arrow "". When you click on that blue arrow, it will take the reader to the quote that you have added to your post. :)

To be continued...

Enjoy! :)
I hope that this has answered your question. :)

Rog

Post by Rog »

AMark wrote: Hi Rog,

The font size is set to be the same for the new version, as it is on Stampboards. :) I am not sure why you think that it's smaller? Perhaps, you are viewing the board with different devices, i.e. tablet, laptop, etc...???
Hi Mark, I needed to refresh the CSS with a page reload - now I see the true size. Much better, many thanks!
My Stamp Blog : The Stamp Book

AMark

Post by AMark »

Rog wrote:
AMark wrote: Hi Rog,

Hi Mark, I needed to refresh the CSS with a page reload - now I see the true size. Much better, many thanks!
I am happy that it has worked for you. :D
Rog wrote:I'm probably going to get stoned for saying this, but wouldn't now be a good time to dump all the pointless counting threads?

They artificially inflate the post count and probably slow the forum down for some things.

*runs for cover*
Well, you and I may not participate in those threads but some Stampboards members do enjoy them. :mrgreen: As a result, I am sure that they will remain.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Rog wrote:
Yes it was. That is the default. :mrgreen:

I pointed out to Yuriy a few hours back the average age of members, and asked if he could make it a font size or two larger, and he has. :)

I also asked him to change to the exact font type we use here to make it as similar and familiar looking as we can.

Re adding attachments this needed to be jiggled on Control Panel. It had been set to Admin and Mods only in first version it looks like.

I THINK CMJ and I have now changed this - can someone please test it, and report back?

Thanks Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

BlackChook
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by BlackChook »

Just tried posting an image and happy to report that it works really well - very easy!

Well done and thanks for your persistence to get this up for us all. It would be a definite gap in my hobby if I weren't able to share my finds on this forum! Nowhere near as interesting or purposeful!

Thanks
BlackChook

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Thank you for the work you have done. I hope it will be running soon.
Last edited by kuikka on 22 May 2020 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

BlackChook wrote:Just tried posting an image and happy to report that it works really well - very easy!
So we seem to have adjusted this back to allow these to be quickly added from all members devices - can others report this is so please.

Night Watchman
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Night Watchman »

Posting an image was so, so easy.
Straight from my desk top. :D
Noel Almeida, Night Watchman, Australia Down Under.
Author: Overseas Mailers of New York FDCs of Australia.
Author: Australian Post Office Souvenir Covers.
Author: Test Cricket Centenary 1977 Philatelic Covers.

CHzug1291
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by CHzug1291 »

:D Outstanding work from the team.....never to old to learn ! :D

Peter

MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Well that was easy.

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Ooh, exciting!

I was just thinking the other day, after thinking about how my Year 7 students are coping with this COVID-remote learning, that user friendly online content is the key.

I'm a member of a few other forums. And Stampboards has always been – by far – the most user friendly, being both easy and convenient to use.

One improvement I am looking forward to is an easier way to upload images. That said, imgbox.com has made life so much better than Imgur or the old Photobucket!

Thanks Glen, and everyone else, for all you do hosting this website. God knows what it costs – not cheap, I'm sure. But a wonderful opportunity, with a wealth of information and support that can change people's lives. I think many have had their philatelic passions reignited here. Always appreciated!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Catweazle wrote:
One improvement I am looking forward to is an easier way to upload images.
Please test it and report back Ben. That is WHAT this thread is all about! :lol:

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Posting and image straight from desktop was easy.

But can't preview image to see if it's OK before posting and
can't change the colour of text.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Allanswood wrote:
But can't preview image to see if it's OK before posting and can't change the colour of text.
You can both preview AND change colour of out text I am sure (text colour is the ink drop icon) - just did it here -

https://new.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18478&start=281

Can you try again please on that thread, and report back - maybe only Mods are enable for that but cannot image that is so?

Glen

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Well done to everyone behind this. A big move for Stampboards :D

Edit: Only things I noticed yesterday was the font problem mentioned above, rarely tags seemed to show (but in my case the tags I noticed seemed to disappear again). Also the New Posts button, when you clicked on the Thread, it didn't seem to jump to the page with the new post, also mentioned above.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Think it looks great.

One tidbit I noticed that seemed clumsy was the how the Online box overlapped text - looked like a mistake:

NikE
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by NikE »

Just posted image from my phone and it works perfectly well!

Thanks for all the hard work behind the scenes to get us up and running :D
Great Britain Pre 1940's for flyspecking,
Austrlia, GDR, Canada, British Colonies

castores

Post by castores »

Very easy to use.

Great job by all involved, impressive.
Australia : Islands : various countries : Thematics : etc

BruceK

Post by BruceK »

New site looks great and was able to locate most of the functions I normally use (have to learn the icons and what they mean instead of words).

Adding images was easy, need to remember to press the 'Place Inline' button next to the attachment file to add it into the post for preview.
(Must remember to give images appropriate names.)

Under 'User Control Panel' in the 'Manage Attachments' tab is the option to delete attachments - I was able to delete an attachment at any time removing the associated image from a post even after edit time had expired.

Only thing I found annoying was the width. The new site appears to be limited to a maximum width and on a full screen spans only 70% of the monitor leaving large white gaps at either side (tested on Edge, IE & Firefox browsers). The current site does not have this limit.

fchd

Post by fchd »

castores wrote:Very easy to use.

Great job by all involved, impressive.
Agreed. Well done to the IT staff and forum admins, this looks like a nice improvement.

DarrenK

Re: *At LAST!* The NEW stampboards is near Launch day. TEST

Post by DarrenK »

All worked well for me.

I added a picture
I added a quote
I added a link
I changed font colours

It will certainly make posting so much faster with images.

Do we have an ability to add PDFs directly? That would be so good as I have many articles in that format and cutting and pasting text looses all the formatting and sometimes with tables and similar you just can't recreate them.

Thank you for all the hard work and efforts behind the scene.

Darren
Always interested in trading German material especially post war period.

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

BruceK wrote: Under 'User Control Panel' in the 'Manage Attachments' tab is the option to delete attachments - I was able to delete an attachment at any time removing the associated image from a post even after edit time had expired.
The Manage Attachments tab should no longer be visible, as images/attachements should never be deleted once posted.

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”