Question on post edit note by Global Administrator

These boards are a cinch to use, but if BB's are new to you, here are a few basic tips for new users to help you settle in. How to post, edit, how to add photos or avatars etc. Who are the Board Moderators etc. Please feel free to ask questions or add suggestions yourself. Add threads here re any technical issues that might concern you.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Stamps4Life
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Question on post edit note by Global Administrator

Post by Stamps4Life »

So I made a post in another thread and it got edited with the below reason from Global Admin. I sent an email to them asking what it meant and got not reply. Can anyone explain what it means so I know for next time? Thanks
Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 2.05.24 PM.png

fchd
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: Question on post edit by Global Admin

Post by fchd »

Glen likes each sentence or two to be a separate paragraph, with a blank line in between.

Stamps4Life

Post by Stamps4Life »

Ahhh. Spaces and blank lines it is. That’s easy. But it’ll make the post super long. Tks.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

With all things in life, they go far smoother when you read the RULES first. Whether driving on a highway, or assembling a toolshed job etc.

Ugly jammed up posts that members clearly have never looked at first in preview, or even AFTER it is posted, says a lot about them. Adding the ''AddSpace' button before EVERY image here (as you did not!) also prevents ugly squeezed end results, and untidy messes. :!:

Admin

admin wrote:
10 Sep 2007 18:27
These pretty standard Bulletin Board "Rules" are agreed to (i.e. The Agreement) by all new members signing up to http://stampboards.com and all members are urged to read them FIRST before posting, in the new member sign-up email that you got.

We are easily the World's Largest Stamp Bulletin Board, with well over 7 MILLION posts, from near 25,000 members, in 180 different countries, on about 100,000 different stamp topics or "threads", spanning some 15 years.

The board is popular and successful BECAUSE we have sensible Rules - and enforce them. Large boards become total anarchy otherwise, and soon close down, as history shows us - from all fields.

17. Please Present Your Posts Thoughtfully and NEATLY

"You are what you post". You can come across to others here as being either slap-dash and sloppy, and near illiterate - or neat and tidy and professional and intelligent - the choice is always yours. :idea:

Some wise members even take a little time to use the "PREVIEW" button to look over their posts, to see if the image has loaded correctly, to see their HEADING makes sense and uses normal punctuation, to see whether the "Quote" feature worked, and to check the colour and bold and highlights are coded correctly etc.

And they use PARAGRAPHS every couple of sentences. Vast globs of type with no paragraphs, and no capital letters, and no spell check, and lazy abbreviations, might be just fine for quick text messages to and from 12 year olds, but we hopefully will not see it on stampboards.com If we do, after being warned, we may not see you here very long - that's a promise. :idea:

Headings or posts all in CAPITALS is regarded as "shouting" and very rude on the web - do NOT do it here please. What you post is here forever. So do it carefully FIRST time please. :idea:

"You are what you post". Remember that. And others judge you on that. Please help us keep this board looking neat and professional. We take huge pride in how well presented and polished this board has always looked - it is WHY we are the World's most successful stamp board by far. We all can do our bit. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Stamps4Life

Re: Question on post edit note by Global Administrator

Post by Stamps4Life »

Ok, so there’s no need to YELL. Ive read the rules but I’m still a beginner and don’t have a photographic memory. So I’m still learning. The post in question, did not look that bad to me. But, bc you edited it, I won’t know. It’s crazy - I got slammed already because I used an abbreviation- Tks - and didn’t even get an adequate explanation as to what the issue was. Then you say you cant use abbreviations, but it the Rule you posted above it says “lazy” abbreviations, whatever they are. The Rule also says it’s “your choice” to make it look good. Ive read the Rules and I didn’t think my post was bad. But I’m not a graphic artist or an English teacher.

Just a retired old joe who collects stamps.

But, if you did (look bad) , all you had to do was to respond to my query I sent you and I’d have know what the heck you were referring to in YOUR abbreviations.

It wasn’t to make fun, or jibe, but to simply find out what the heck you meant in you abbreviations.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

'Joe', one of the points is that everybody here has English as a first language.

Heck, some of them are Americans (hey, that's a joke from an Englishman - we know that humour doesn't always cross the pond too well in either direction)!

So, plain English as much as possible, what the VoA (sorry, Voice of America) called 'Special English' back in the 60s is good. Abbreviations - not 'text-speak', so not

Tks, Tnx, 'cos, - you'll see others corrected as you spend more time here.

But proper abbreviations like

don't - I've - can't etc

must have the apostrophe - you included it in don't and I'm but not in Ive.

Oh, and we all make typos (spelling errors - mistypes) from time to time. So we also have the Preview button where you can check what it all looks like. And an hour to correct a post, or add to it. (I don't know whether that hour is from the start or from the last edit, I've never tested it!)

Anyway, enjoy your time here. Here's something that is probably a familiar sight for you that I should have put in the 'welcome' thread when you went there.

Jackson Square, N O L A.
Jackson Square, N O L A.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Stamps4Life

Post by Stamps4Life »

norvic wrote:
08 Jul 2021 08:00
'Joe', one of the points is that everybody here has English as a first language.

Heck, some of them are Americans (hey, that's a joke from an Englishman - we know that humour doesn't always cross the pond too well in either direction)!

So, plain English as much as possible, what the VoA (sorry, Voice of America) called 'Special English' back in the 60s is good. Abbreviations - not 'text-speak', so not

Tks, Tnx, 'cos, - you'll see others corrected as you spend more time here.

But proper abbreviations like

don't - I've - can't etc

must have the apostrophe - you included it in don't and I'm but not in Ive.

Oh, and we all make typos (spelling errors - mistypes) from time to time. So we also have the Preview button where you can check what it all looks like. And an hour to correct a post, or add to it. (I don't know whether that hour is from the start or from the last edit, I've never tested it!)

Anyway, enjoy your time here. Here's something that is probably a familiar sight for you that I should have put in the 'welcome' thread when you went there.

Thank you.

I’m guessing that “pars” means paragraph and “air” means spaces?

I obviously missed the apostrophes. My mistake in my proofing. But re-testing in this post, it seems they should have been inserted automatically by the board spell check. I tried both words again here, misspelling them and the “ ‘ “ got inserted.

I’ll keep a closer eye out in the future.

Thank you again for your help.

norvic

Post by norvic »

I don’t think php has a spell check. Some devices, like the iPad I’m using, do predictive text (not always helpful) however.

But yes, the abbreviation ‘pars’ means paragraphs (most people outside journalism and proof reading would use ‘paras’). ‘Air’ is a term I’ve not encountered before being here, and I would guess that it is either Glen’s own term or one in journalism that we aren’t aware of.

Oh, and some threads use oddly made up abbreviations all the time. People on the two threads “Guess the location of the picture on this postcard” and the similar one for postboxes, use made-up abbreviations every day.

NOTE = north of the equator
WROY = West Riding of Yorkshire
SOTW = south of The Wash (an inlet in Eastern England).

However in other contexts SOTW means (Gibbons) ‘Stamps of the World’ catalogue, an abbreviated so widely used that it doesn’t need to be written in full after the first use in a thread, usually.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by 22028 »

fchd wrote:
07 Jul 2021 06:34
Glen likes each sentence or two to be a separate paragraph, with a blank line in between.

But there seems to be a glitch in the editor as a space before, between and after images is not automatically recognised by the system elicitor. An ENTER, just like in text, is not accepted with images.

Someone needs to put some coding
before and after the imagelink to have the additional space.
Collecting Interests: Tibet, Nepal-Classic Issues, Iran-First Issue (Lion stamps), Iraq-Railway stamps 1928-1942, Overland Mail Baghdad - Haifa, SCADTA, the provisional Registration stamps issue 1921, Colombia, the private carrier stamps.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Or, "SOMEONE" (i.e. like you) simply needs to simply read the SUPER CLEAR directions in the add images thread - that has been there for a year now -

MargoZ wrote:
01 Jun 2020 19:28

Sadly the new software JAMS things up often. So we added the ADD SPACE button .. use that before you type anything, even words, or before any images, to stop that. It adds white space.

NOTE: Only click it ONCE .. yes two ''ADD SPACE'' html commands appear - that is just quirky coding. i.e. do not hit it TWICE as you will get LARGE spaces then!

Those savvy members that use the PREVIEW button, will see instantly how that improves your final post! No more ugly jamming up of YOUR posts.

Near ALL mages posted here looked better CENTRED -- simply select the attachment image code and then hit CENTRE button as shown.

Also, when posting a string of 6 or 8 images, each butts up to one another - pretty ugly, and no definition between them. Using your SHIFT key to add space does not work.

There is a SUPER simple and fast solution to add a few mm of white space between them .. just manually add a full stop as shown below here -

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Stamps4Life

Post by Stamps4Life »

norvic wrote:
08 Jul 2021 17:21
I don’t think php has a spell check. Some devices, like the iPad I’m using, do predictive text (not always helpful) however.
Not sure what "php" is, but good heads up on the "predictive text".

I didn't think about that. But, now that you mention it, I was on an iPad on one reply and on an iPhone for the other and the apostrophes were handled differently.

Thank you.

norvic

Post by norvic »

PHP is the software that runs this and many forums or Bulletin Boards. (Hence when you are composing a reply, there is an option below to 'Disable BBCode' - don't!)

See the foot of any page where you have the legend "Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited"

Stamps4Life

Post by Stamps4Life »

norvic wrote:
09 Jul 2021 06:53
PHP is the software that runs this and many forums or Bulletin Boards. (Hence when you are composing a reply, there is an option below to 'Disable BBCode' - don't!)

See the foot of any page where you have the legend "Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited"
👍🏽

bazza4338

Post by bazza4338 »

22028 wrote:
08 Jul 2021 17:32
fchd wrote:
07 Jul 2021 06:34
An ENTER, just like in text, is not accepted with images.

Two images without hitting the ENTER key.....

Screenshot 2021-06-02 071221.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-02 071210.jpg

Same two images with ENTER five times.....

Screenshot 2021-06-02 071221.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-02 071210.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

WHY do some folks persist in suggesting absurd hillbilly homemade suggestions to areas there is no issue with?

Adding FIVE lots of spacing is INSANE. All each image needs is a single full stop after it, to add air and spacing between them.

If the phpBB suppliers ever changes the base software to address image spacing in a future upgrade, ALL those idiotic bumble head posts adding FIVE ''Enter'' actions between each image clearly will mean 1000s of older posts will have 6 inches of white space between each image and ruin threads. DURRRHHHH.

THIS is how it looks if a single full stop is added, EXACTLY as per the tutorial I have posted twice already above, and now THREE times in 10 posts, for those who choose not to read, or follow VERY simple instructions -

1. Hit 'AddSpace' key before ANY image.
2. Add a full stop after each attachment as shown
3. Highlight the image links and then hit the ''CENTRE'' button

pigeon.jpg
pigeon.jpg
pigeon.jpg
pigeon.jpg
Capturedd.JPG

Return to “New to Bulletin Boards? A few useful tips and technical threads. AND add your suggestions too.”