Stoneham Great Britain Stamp Cat 2017 (17th Ed) - Free dowload

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Stoneham Great Britain Stamp Cat 2017 (17th Ed) - Free dowload

Post by ViccyVFU »

Picking up on phos45's excellent tip-off (and the Sheriffs challenge!).....

I wanted to highlight this current offer (which looks to be "medium transitory") from the Machin Collectors Club (MCC).

17th_Edition_Front.jpg
Stoneham GB Stamp Catalogue 2017 (17th Edition)

The MCC are the legal owners of the publishing rights to the above catalogue, and have placed all of it online, freely downloadable (as 47 separate "section" files, amounting to just over 1GB of disk space).

You can find it here:

https://www.stonehamcatalogue.co.uk/

On the top right of the screen you have a link to Catalogue Pages, and that will take you to an index of the files .....

index.jpg
Stoneham GB Stamp Catalogue - Index of Downloads

They acknowledge "that not everyone wants everything", so its in "fairly small" sectional chunks (except pages 250-348, that's a whopper).

I can thus download just "the intro" and "Victoria" pages sections, and not worry about the other files.

Some typical entries look like this :

black.jpg
Entry on Penny Blacks (part)

sg48.jpg
Entry on sg48 Halfpenny Bantam (part)

You will see that the level of imagery is good, and even "without SG numbers to fall back on", its still a useful tool to have electronically, especially when trying to explain aspects of stamps, such as condition (for which there are usually profuse illustrations).

(It also shows "on cover prices" for most stamps, from Victoria through to George VI inclusive)

I should point out it is (nominally) "read only", but anyone who is thinking they want "a full printed copy" (it runs to over 650 pages) should apply, post haste, via the Sutton Stamps link, found under the "Join the MCC button" (Don't worry, you are not joining anything, just linking to the other vendor site).

Here, if you are based in the UK, you can pick up "a clearance copy" for five pounds, post paid (Overseas more, I'm afraid), which is about half of what they currently ship for on eBay. (Cover price is £19.95, but it is three years old).

Whilst on the Sutton Stamps site (Mods, please edit this, if inappropriate) you can also find "genuine GB 1st class NVI stamps" at under 70% of face (and there are further discounts). I'm not in any way affiliated - just saw the offer and thought I'd mention it, as Pertinax commented only last week "that auction prices were moving up" on mint, and NVI are timeless (in theory!).

The MCC are transitioning the publication to "a partwork", so this looks like it may well be "the last Stoneham GB Stamp Catalogue" in a single bound book.

At a fiver (post paid) it seems a bargain to me, and the chance to download the sections onto your electronic device, to walk around with you (a long held wishlist for many) is definitely "a big plus".

I think its a great resource to store here .... "use as you see fit",
but if you want a clearance copy (of the "last ever single volume"), you'll need to act quickly (I expect).

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Stoneham Great Britain Stamp Catalogue 2017 (17th Ed) - Free dowload

Post by Global Administrator »

Well done Viccy .. that is how our lazy grump should have done it in the first place. :D

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

And easy to download too. I have already downloaded the postage due section.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

norvic

Post by norvic »

Note that if you want all Machins - it is the Machin Collectors Club after all - the newer self-adhesive ones have been stuck in after Window booklets and just before Controls.

And this only goes to 2016 so although Ubobu's alright with his Dues, it will be of limited use for very modern stamps
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I've downloaded the whole lot and will be printing at work tomorrow onto A4, or if I feel a little more excited A3 - so I can make notes and read the fine print.

1.02GB PDF - but the text keeps it's quality when enlarging and the images aren't too bad either.

Another great feature is that the whole thing is text searchable. :D :D :D
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Allanswood wrote:
11 Oct 2020 23:19
I've downloaded the whole lot and will be printing at work tomorrow onto A4, or if I feel a little more excited A3 - so I can make notes and read the fine print.
Just so there are no surprises tomorrow "at work"........

The downloads are all "SECURED" .pdfs......
meaning (for most) that the "print option" will be greyed out.

(Gotta love Google for that sort of thing .... :D )

Anyway, be sure to set the "fit to page" option, else you'll getting "the handbook size" pages printed, irrespective of the paper size you use.

Granddma, eggs, I know, I'm sorry.

(It was more aimed at those that try to emulate your success!!)

mozzerb
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by mozzerb »

ViccyVFU wrote:
11 Oct 2020 21:03
(It also shows "on cover prices" for most stamps, from Victoria through to George VI inclusive)
Can't say I'm very impressed by these for the later reigns, especially KGVI -- e.g. £40 for a £1 Silver Wedding on cover? £6 for a 1s Olympics? If anyone has one of the former and wants to swap it for 6-7 of the latter, give me a call. :)

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

mozzerb wrote:
12 Oct 2020 03:04
ViccyVFU wrote:
Can't say I'm very impressed by these for the later reigns, especially KGVI -- e.g. £40 for a £1 Silver Wedding on cover? £6 for a 1s Olympics? If anyone has one of the former and wants to swap it for 6-7 of the latter, give me a call. :)
People don't use catalogues for pricing, they use them for identification / classification.

Stoneham are on cover "prices", from three years ago (not FDC prices)

Then people check a dealers pricelist ....

Or just go straight to eBay.... Here are two, from the last 30 mins ....

swap_1.jpg
£1 Royal Wedding Cover (£40 Buy It Now, inc. shipping)

swap_2.jpg
Olympics 1/- Brown, on Cover (£6, with just three hours to run)

(Decide what you want your budget to be, and go hunting!! :D )

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

On cover prices, to be meaningful, should be for a commercial cover, most common usage.

That £1 RSW usage is clearly philatelic. (Even for airmail it would be for an implausibly heavy letter of 9½oz, and the registration fee means the rate wouldn't fit. But there's not even an airmail label, and a surface letter requiring 19/9 postage would be massive.) Not my thing, although still cheaper than many dealers would ask for a philatelic use if anyone wants to go for it. Commercial covers for any of the GB KGVI £1 values are very seldom seen.

The 1s cover is unusual and may itself be philatelic (the rate is problematic but possible -- 3-4oz -- if you ignore the airmail sticker, as service to Austria was all-up by this time). It's still a nice censor cover. Common usage for this stamp is Zone B airmail, price £1-2 on a good day.

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

mozzerb wrote:
12 Oct 2020 03:51
On cover prices, to be meaningful, should be for a commercial cover, most common usage.
(I imagine that on modern issues, "FDC's outnumber commercial usage" by a large multiple :D ).

(I still have not received even one single 2020 (or 2019) commemorative stamp on post this year, and we are "well into the last quarter"!!)

That aside, you need to read the catalogue intro pages, to find out what they mean by "on cover" prices.
(There is quite a bit of definition attached to it, but its never going to be enough for an advanced user, who has endless sub classifications of mail use).

If it was easy, I guess SG would have done it "a long time ago".

If it was moderately easy, Stampboard members "might have done it", in the two or three years they've been "talking about doing it".

Fact is, its hard..... To arrive at universal definitions that just boils down to "one entry" on price - you have the stamp, the cover, the cleanness of postmark, the rarity of strike, the purpose of the mail etc .... yada yada yada.

"One price" is always going to be hamstrung by "so many caveats", that its always open to criticism.

What we have here (in Stoneham 2017), is "a fun estimate", if you like.
(Backed and moderated by some key players / contributors in the industry).

Beat it, if you can. (Some will be "easy", others "nigh impossible" ... isn't that just "always the way" in collecting?).

mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

ViccyVFU wrote:
12 Oct 2020 05:24
mozzerb wrote:
12 Oct 2020 03:51
(I imagine that on modern issues, "FDC's outnumber commercial usage" by a large multiple :D ).

(I still have not received even one single 2020 (or 2019) commemorative stamp on post this year, and we are "well into the last quarter"!!)

That aside, you need to read the catalogue intro pages, to find out what they mean by "on cover" prices.
(There is quite a bit of definition attached to it, but its never going to be enough for an advanced user, who has endless sub classifications of mail use).

If it was easy, I guess SG would have done it "a long time ago".

If it was moderately easy, Stampboard members "might have done it", in the two or three years they've been "talking about doing it".

Fact is, its hard..... To arrive at universal definitions that just boils down to "one entry" on price - you have the stamp, the cover, the cleanness of postmark, the rarity of strike, the purpose of the mail etc .... yada yada yada.

"One price" is always going to be hamstrung by "so many caveats", that its always open to criticism.

What we have here (in Stoneham 2017), is "a fun estimate", if you like.
(Backed and moderated by some key players / contributors in the industry).

Beat it, if you can. (Some will be "easy", others "nigh impossible" ... isn't that just "always the way" in collecting?).
That's why I don't think "on cover prices" of this type are especially useful. Especially when many of the "key players" listed aren't exactly well known for selling "modern" postal history.

The definition for KEVII-QEII covers is short:
All the prices relate to covers with Fine Used stamps, having light neat cancellations and leaving the entire stamp design clearly and easily seen. Heavy cancellations and other defects can reduce the values to as little as 30% or less of the quoted catalogue prices. A stamp neatly tied to the cover by a circular date stamp applied to the corner and leaving two thirds or more of the design completely clear may be classified as Superb Used, and would carry a premium of 50 - 100% above the catalogue price.
Sounds like these are prices for light cds used examples, which is ... often optimistic except for registered covers.

Expatyeoman
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Expatyeoman »

An excellent idea. I always liked Stoneham for its clear layout and particularly the helpful notes for collectors - e.g. on identifying the different printings of the Seahorses and the Castles.

SG tells you that they are different; Stoneham really shows and explains how they are different. I found (and still find) that to be real value add content.

For me the fact that there are almost 100 pages for just 16 years (2001-16) shows where the wheels came off with many of the postal agencies. I'm glad I stopped collecting modern when I did!

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

ViccyVFU wrote:
At a fiver (post paid) it seems a bargain to me, and the chance to download the sections onto your electronic device, to walk around with you (a long held wishlist for many) is definitely "a big plus".
So I ordered one Thursday teatime, shipped Friday (order update email confirmed), and on my desk this morning (Saturday).

Weighs in at over 1.2kg, 662 pages of full colour print, real stamps on the small package (to the tune of £3.10).

Lots of "how to identify" pages, and side by side checklists.
(More Machin data "than I'll ever look at", for sure).

(No SG numbers, but hey, an SG printed listing, and matched electronic download would set me back over £50).

For a fiver, its a steal. (I couldn't even "print the free downloads", for that price). Happy days.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

ViccyVFU wrote:
17 Oct 2020 22:17

So I ordered one Thursday teatime, shipped Friday (order update email confirmed), and on my desk this morning (Saturday).

Weighs in at over 1.2kg, 662 pages of full colour print, real stamps on the small package (to the tune of £3.10).

How does one order a paper copy - could not see that option anywhere on that website?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Allanswood

Re: Stoneham Great Britain Stamp Cat 2017 (17th Ed) - Free dowload

Post by Allanswood »

I saw the adv, but for the year before? Not that it matters. Wonder what the postage is?

Suttonstamps.co.uk

£18.00 inc post!

Im going to order one. :D
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

You can order via Sutton Stamps (It was under the "join MCC" link, then "the catalogue tab" on the left!!)

https://suttonstamps.co.uk/catalogues-4-c.asp

Overseas options are "more or less" in line with postage costs from the UK.

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2020-08/ ... r-2020.pdf

By my calcs, for printed paper, surface mail, they'd need £11.50 postage for 1, £15.15 for 2, and £25.85 for four (max printed paper size) .... but bigger shipments might also pique "other authorities" interest.

(Just to be clear, the stamps used were "circa 2005, 1st class NVI commems")

At £18 post paid to Aus, its still 10% off cover price (but bear in mind its 2017 edition).

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

It is under the drop down menu - publications/catalogues
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

deltic1575

Post by deltic1575 »

Expatyeoman wrote:
12 Oct 2020 16:11
An excellent idea. I always liked Stoneham for its clear layout and particularly the helpful notes for collectors - e.g. on identifying the different printings of the Seahorses and the Castles.

SG tells you that they are different; Stoneham really shows and explains how they are different. I found (and still find) that to be real value add content.

For me the fact that there are almost 100 pages for just 16 years (2001-16) shows where the wheels came off with many of the postal agencies. I'm glad I stopped collecting modern when I did!
Couldn't agree more, I find Stoneham's catalogue far more user friendly and the values far more realistic than Gibbons

norvic

Post by norvic »

deltic1575 wrote:
18 Oct 2020 06:32
Expatyeoman wrote:
12 Oct 2020 16:11

Couldn't agree more, I find Stoneham's catalogue far more user friendly and the values far more realistic than Gibbons
Out of interest, which SG catalogue are you comparing this 2017 Stoneham to?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

deltic1575

Post by deltic1575 »

norvic wrote:
18 Oct 2020 07:17

Out of interest, which SG catalogue are you comparing this 2017 Stoneham to?
2014 Concise

norvic

Post by norvic »

A couple of years ago Gibbons angered a lot of people by reducing many of their GB prices to make them match the market rates. A lot seem to be the same as BB Stamps.

See https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=81505#p5557684

nigelc
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by nigelc »

ViccyVFU wrote:
I wanted to highlight this current offer (which looks to be "medium transitory") from the Machin Collectors Club (MCC).

Stoneham GB Stamp Catalogue 2017 (17th Edition)

You can find it here:
https://www.stonehamcatalogue.co.uk/
Here, if you are based in the UK, you can pick up "a clearance copy" for five pounds, post paid (Overseas more, I'm afraid), which is about half of what they currently ship for on eBay. (Cover price is £19.95, but it is three years old).
Thanks very much ViccyVFU for letting us all know about this.

I received my printed catalogue this morning and I'm delighted with it, especially for £5 post paid! :D

The colour illustrations are excellent including many back of the book items: telegraphs, circular delivery stamps, college stamps, post and go labels etc
Nigel

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I ordered and paid for mine at just £18 delivered. :shock:

ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Allanswood wrote:
22 Oct 2020 21:33
I ordered and paid for mine at just £18 delivered. :shock:
I'm imagining their trip to the post office (to send it to Aus), is why "its just jumped up to £23 (RoW)" on the website!!

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”