Resource for info on South African Cancellations

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Bluegum
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Resource for info on South African Cancellations

Post by Bluegum »

If you are looking for some examples and information regarding South African cancellations - this website contains great examples and very helpful information.

I discovered the link in an old Stampboards post, but it is so relevant and helpful, I wanted to share it again.

http://www.up.ac.za/academic/civil/books/
Member of the Bellville Philatelic Society - Philatelic Federation of South Africa - Transvaal Study Circle. Looking for Transvaal postal history and early Australia stamps

ivqii
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Re: South African Cancellations

Post by ivqii »

This work should be put in context

The late Ralph Putzel was an indefatigable researcher of the postmarks and postal History of South Africa and published during his lifetime 2 magna opuses viz

The Encyclopedia of Post Offices and Postal Agencies in South Africa ( 5 Volumes )

and

The Postmarks of South Africa (10 volumes )

This latter study can of its' nature never be complete as new discoveries are being made and new offices opened

Research on this has been carried on after Putzel's death by Alex Visser , a noted philatelist and academic, and the link that Bluegum has provided is to the voluminous and comprehensive Addendum to "Postmarks" compiled and constantly updated by Alex Visser

A glowing tribute to our hobby

* Putzel also published 2 works on South West Africa - what a guy!
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

Morgan
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Resource for info on South African Cancellations

Post by Morgan »

I knew Ralph, though we never met. I contributed to all of his books and I still continue to contribute to Alex Visser's addendum (the website given).

The obvious question would be - could the entire work be combined one day on the website. The answer is unfortunately "no". I once posed the question to Alex.

Although he assisted Ralph while he was still alive,some of the original manuscripts have been lost. This means that in order to have complete information,one must have all of the publications cited by ivqii as well as access to the website.

South African postal history is fascinating. As I mentioned previously I have contributed heavily to the new discoveries in both the publications and the addendum, as have others, of course.

What could be more rewarding to a philatelist than to continue making new finds. I often wonder how many of these finds were already made before and people like Ralph and Alex were not around to record them for everyone.

Lots of lost information that will hopefully be found again.

Regards.
Morgan

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Morgan wrote:I knew Ralph, though we never met. I contributed to all of his books and I still continue to contribute to Alex Visser's addendum (the website given).

The obvious question would be - could the entire work be combined one day on the website. The answer is unfortunately "no". I once posed the question to Alex.

Although he assisted Ralph while he was still alive,some of the original manuscripts have been lost. This means that in order to have complete information,one must have all of the publications cited by ivqii as well as access to the website.

South African postal history is fascinating. As I mentioned previously I have contributed heavily to the new discoveries in both the publications and the addendum, as have others, of course.

What could be more rewarding to a philatelist than to continue making new finds. I often wonder how many of these finds were already made before and people like Ralph and Alex were not around to record them for everyone.

Regards.
Morgan
Thanks Morgan, I entirely agree - I have also recently started forwarding some of my new finds to Alex Visser.

Perhaps if there are any board members who would like to contribute in sharing early SA cancellation finds with Alex, please contact either Morgan or me, we will direct you to Alex Visser.
Member of the Bellville Philatelic Society - Philatelic Federation of South Africa - Transvaal Study Circle. Looking for Transvaal postal history and early Australia stamps

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Bluegum wrote:
Morgan wrote:I knew Ralph, though we never met. I contributed to all of his books and I still continue to contribute to Alex Visser's addendum (the website given).

Regards.
Morgan
Thanks Morgan, I entirely agree - I have also recently started forwarding some of my new finds to Alex Visser.

Perhaps if there are any board members who would like to contribute in sharing early SA cancellation finds with Alex, please contact either Morgan or me, we will direct you to Alex Visser.
I'll be glad to assist. I think I can help best by acting as a referance in telling anyone if the postmark is known yet. I have all of the referances if you don't. If it is new, I'll send you Alex's email so you can report it direct.

Morgan

yannis
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by yannis »

Morgan, I would appreciate it, if you can you please check your references for BONC 105? It is listed in Goldblatt as Cape, and my Putzel is a few thousand kilometers away. I have a proving cover from Umzimkulu. Can't post a scan at the moment, but will do a couple of days when my scanner is back from repairs.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Hi yannis -

I usually use Frescura's book to check COGH boncs because it is more recent than Goldblatt's book. Alex Visser would likely obtain his info from those volumes.

Having checked all three of the above, it seems that 105 is still listed as COGH (unknown office) and 305 is reported for Umzimkulu. Is it possible that the "1" in your item is a "3"?

Morgan

yannis

Post by yannis »

Morgan wrote:Hi yannis -

I usually use Frescura's book to check COGH boncs because it is more recent than Goldblatt's book. Alex Visser would likely obtain his info from those volumes.

Having checked all three of the above, it seems that 105 is still listed as COGH (unknown office) and 305 is reported for Umzimkulu. Is it possible that the "1" in your item is a "3"?

Morgan
Thanks looking it up. It is clearly a 105. I will post an image later.

yannis

Post by yannis »

Morgan
As promised the scanner is now working and I am posting images for the cover

and the front

It is clearly a BONC 105.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Britcollector
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Britcollector »

I'll look through my SA stamps, but please tell me what you mean by "early" cancellations. QV only?

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

yannis wrote:

Morgan

and the front

Yannis -

It is clearly 105, but what am I missing? I would suppose this to be the BONC for Newmarket that is only backstamped Umzimkulu. Am I missing something obvious? If you agree with me, then it seems that you've found the previously unknown BONC for Newmarket.

Regards.
Morgan

yannis

Post by yannis »

Morgan wrote:
yannis wrote:

Morgan

and the front

Yannis -

It is clearly 105, but what am I missing? I would suppose this to be the BONC for Newmarket that is only backstamped Umzimkulu. Am I missing something obvious? If you agree with me, then it seems that you've found the previously unknown BONC for Newmarket.

Regards.
Morgan
Morgan, thanks. It looks so at first glance. However, it must have traveled from Umzimkulu to Newmarket to GPO and then then to Austria. Otherwise why have the Umzimkulu datestamp?

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

My first reaction would be to say - Why not Newmarket to Umzimkulu, to Capetown? However...

In Putzel's encyclopaedia, Newmarket is reported to have opened in 1909. This seems to have been corrected in his postmark book which reports it as having opened in 1895 and states that the BONC used was 601. Frescura's book gives 601 to Umzinhlanga. Back to Putzel and Umzinhlanga was open from 1893 and was renamed Newmarket in 1895.

If my first reaction is correct, then Newmarket would have gotten the 105 BONC at that time.

At this point though, I'd have to say that I don't know. What do you think?

Morgan

As an after thought - note that the Newmarket and Umzimkulu postmarks are of the same day.

yannis

Post by yannis »

Morgan wrote:My first reaction would be to say - Why not Newmarket to Umzimkulu, to Capetown? However...

In Putzel's encyclopaedia, Newmarket is reported to have opened in 1909. This seems to have been corrected in his postmark book which reports it as having opened in 1895 and states that the BONC used was 601. Frescura's book gives 601 to Umzinhlanga. Back to Putzel and Umzinhlanga was open from 1893 and was renamed Newmarket in 1895.

If my first reaction is correct, then Newmarket would have gotten the 105 BONC at that time.

At this point though, I'd have to say that I don't know. What do you think?

Morgan

As an after thought - note that the Newmarket and Umzimkulu postmarks are of the same day.
I think both possibilities are probable. I will try and see if I can locate them on a map.

yannis

Post by yannis »

I couldn't find a suitable period map, but I found a couple of other covers/cards:)

This one proves Morgan's suggestion as correct that the BONC 105 belongs to Newmarket clearly. The back of the stamped envelope is shown below:

This time the cover has a Koksdad datestamp. There is also another card with similar stamping

However this one has a message at the back that refers to a Post Office, which I can't make up the German. This can probably give a clue as to how these covers were routed.

My guess so far the 105 was applied at Newmarket and the covers were routed either via Umzimkulu or Koksdad. Here is another one with an Umzimkulu datestamp.

Spartacus
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Spartacus »

Bluegum

Thank you for the link. I find it very helpful.

Cheers
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Yannis -

Thanks for showing the other covers. It does seem that 105 is assigned to Newmarket. I have never fully understood how these cancellers were allocated. Not to confuse things more, but if the office was 605 and the name change made it 105, then you have to wonder where 105 was prior to this. Another, then closed, office?

Morgan

yannis

Post by yannis »

Morgan wrote:Yannis -

Thanks for showing the other covers. It does seem that 105 is assigned to Newmarket. I have never fully understood how these cancellers were allocated. Not to confuse things more, but if the office was 605 and the name change made it 105, then you have to wonder where 105 was prior to this. Another, then closed, office?

Morgan
One of the pleasures of collecting postal history is the sense of satisfaction of discovering material that has not been recorded earlier. I am sure the points you raise as to where the canceller was earlier will show up one day. Will it be possible for you to send to Alex Visser an email to add this to his list?

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Yannis -

I agree with you completely. If it were not for the little discoveries that we can make, the hobby would be a lot less fulfilling.

I'd be happy to forward the information to Alex, but I would think that you'd like to do it yourself as the discoverer. Please email me when you are able to and you can tell me which way that you'd like to do this and I'll be glad to help in any way.

Regards.
Morgan

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

I discovered this interesting cover a while ago, and shared it with Alex Visser. The cancellation is Umtamvuna Natal. It was listed on his website as Cape, not Natal. This proving cover assisted him to correctly allocate this post office. It had some name changes, the first being in Cape, and the latter in Natal.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Has anyone - apart from Ralph Putzel - done any work on the various date stamps and cancellations of the Johannesburg post offices? Are you aware of any articles, books, papers etc? It is an area that has long fascinated me and I am tempted to have a go at updating / expanding Putzel's work in a web format, similar to what I have been doing for Queensland - here is the link to Queensland, it is a work in progress! https://qlddatestamps.blogspot.com/

Jeremy

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Hi Jeremy

You will find all additional work on this website:

http://linus.up.ac.za/academic/civil/books/AddletterJ%20Sep2020.pdf

Cheers

Johan

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Johan. Much appreciated. This is a huge undertaking. For those who are interested, here is the parent directory with all the updates as well as the explanatory notes. http://linus.up.ac.za/academic/civil/books

I still think this could be much better and more easily done by organising the datestamp types into categories, as has been done with the Australian colonies and states. Has anyone attempted this? I see Putzel in his introduction does show the various types and subtypes so it should be a feasible task. It would be an enormous undertaking to convert the whole thing but in my view it is really the only way to go if it is ever to be converted into a web-accessible product.

On another note, how rare is his 1986 Encyclopaedia of South African post offices and postal agencies 4 volume set? I would love to buy a copy if anyone has one to sell

Jeremy

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Hi Jeremy, there is currently a project underway to do just that!

Why don't you join the Transvaal Study Circle.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Johan for alerting me to its existence. I have now joined :-)

Are you able to tell me more about the project to digitize Putzel?

Jeremy

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Hi Jeremy, there is not such a project. What you see on the index that I referred you to is additional postmarks that were identified.

The new project is a list of all the towns in Tvl starting at A and showing all the recorded postmarks per town, including earliest recorded dates.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks, makes sense. I saw the start of it in the latest issues of the journal.

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Jeremy, please also check the previous issue, there is more.

Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Lundy »

Hi all, for me the most useful efforts are being made here by Frits Aab, who is a member here!! I have been contributing to his records here: http://www.postmarks.co.za/

I still have a number to add to the Transvaal postmarks - need to prioritise that and a lot of onus on Frits to maintain and add new records, but in my view he does a superb job with his site and this format of available to all and about widespread input to improve understanding is the way to go in my view....

A couple of beauties I need to send over somehow together still!
Roodegrond Transvaal cancellation
Sannieshof Transvaal cancellation
Lundy :)

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Hi Lundy thanks for sharing! I got the impression that there has been no updates for quite a while on that website, is Frits actually ok and still doing updates?
Johan

Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Hi Johan,

I think so, since it started I think he has periods he can devote to updates and periods where the rest of life probably gets in the way. I used to hope each time I went there it would have progressed through the post offices for a country to find no change for some months and then all of a sudden loads of changes! Last update according to the site is December 2020 so not too long ago...

I hope he is ok, he has made some great progress on previously unreported offices, cancels and tied numerals which were previously unknown to their offices not to mention updates to hundreds or thousands of earliest and latest dates of usage... I love the idea of these open collaborative efforts to improve records and I think the hobby benefits from it...

Hope your collection is going well Johan!

Lundy

Kennethsequeira
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Kennethsequeira »

Any idea if there is any online material / collection of South Africa's Slogans

South Africa 2003 World Cup slogan

Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Flags on stamps,
Cyprus: Obligatory Refugee Fund Tax

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Not sure what this postmark is. Appears to be ABOR / STA. Putzel lists Abor and Abor R.O (rail). Perhaps this is Abor station?
img646-002.jpg
img646-001.jpg
Thanks

Jeremy

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Yes, the name would be Abor Station, which will be under the rail - listing

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Bluegum. I had a look and couldn't find a separate railways section. Which volume is it in?
I have volumes 1-10. Is there an additional volume?
Jeremy

Bluegum

Post by Bluegum »

Hi Jeremy.

The Encyclopaedia of South African Post Offices and Postal Agencies consists of 4 volumes and list all the then known post offices. On P.201 of Volume 1 there is an entry for Abor Transvaal, 1912-1915 and again 1948-1953 as well as an entry for Abor Rail/Sta 1915-1948.

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Bluegum, that makes sense. I was looking at Putzel's postmark volumes not his Encyclopaedia. I found Abor Station on Visser's addendum. It is the type 2 under Abor Rail and while he lists it he does not have an illustration so I have sent him the scan for inclusion when he updates it. http://linus.up.ac.za/academic/civil/books/AddletterA%20Sep2020.pdf

Jeremy

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”