Discussion on Free internet stamp catalogues

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kuikka
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Discussion on Free internet stamp catalogues

Post by kuikka »

Jean,

Thank you for updating the index. We tried to make you work hard :mrgreen: , did we succeed?

Regarding SMOM, it is a tricky question. I would myself look it under Malta, so, that is very reasonable to put it there. However, on their own web page, they say:
Mail stamped with Sovereign Order of Malta stamps can be sent to the countries listed below, provided it is posted at the Magistral Post Office, Via Bocca di Leone 68, Rome.
http://www.orderofmalta.int/catalogue/stamps/35675/associate-countries/?lang=en

This would place it (confusingly) under Italy. As Malta is not listed as a country with postal agreement with SMOM, they actually have no validity what so ever in Malta (even on incoming mail).

So, I would like to get opinions from anyone reading this thread regarding should it go under Malta or Italy. (Jean, Belti and Mark, you all are included in that anybody)

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Jean,

Would you ammend my opening post with this 5th point:

5) Check if the catalogue you are about to post is already posted. If it is, please do not make a duplicate entry. If it is on the same site but different page, feel free to post it unless you think it is anyway exact duplicate of an existing entry with different address (there are items which are in the internet in multiple locations). I do understand it is sometimes difficult to find if something is already posted and mistakes happen but please make the effort.

Kimmo

Belti
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Belti »

kuikka wrote:
Canada stamper wrote:Kimmo,

I've updated the catalogue today.

A couple of things.

vicaf60's Belarus entry points to the same catalogue as Belti's, however he has some different detail in his post. Let me know what you'd like to do for these.

I've updated Belti's SMOM post. I listed SMOM under Malta since the flag of Malta flies with the flag of SMOM over Saint Angelo and there is a treaty with the Government of Malta. Let me know if you want something different.

Jean
Belti,

Do you mind if I merge your post of Belarus into vicaf60's post? We have two entries of the same, so one is unnecessary. As it is vicaf60's first post into this thread, I would not like it to go, and I think the duplication in his part is unintended.

Kimmo
Sure Kimmo, no problem at all. Actually I realised that too, but as you said since it was his first post to the thread and he also provided more information, that would be fair :)
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti wrote:
kuikka wrote:

A couple of things.

vicaf60's Belarus entry points to the same catalogue as Belti's, however he has some different detail in his post. Let me know what you'd like to do for these.

I've updated Belti's SMOM post. I listed SMOM under Malta since the flag of Malta flies with the flag of SMOM over Saint Angelo and there is a treaty with the Government of Malta. Let me know if you want something different.

Jean
Belti,

Do you mind if I merge your post of Belarus into vicaf60's post? We have two entries of the same, so one is unnecessary. As it is vicaf60's first post into this thread, I would not like it to go, and I think the duplication in his part is unintended.

Kimmo
Sure Kimmo, no problem at all. Actually I realised that too, but as you said since it was his first post to the thread and he also provided more information, that would be fair :)
Jean,

Would you merge (=delete) Belti's entry of Belarus to vicaf60's entry? However, please change in the first paragraph of the year to be current.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for posting Marshall Islands, Nigeria and Norfolk Island.

Kimmo

Canada stamper

Post by Canada stamper »

kuikka wrote:
Belti wrote:
kuikka wrote:

A couple of things.

Jean
Belti,

Kimmo
Jean,

Would you merge (=delete) Belti's entry of Belarus to vicaf60's entry? However, please change in the first paragraph of the year to be current.

Kimmo
Sure Kimmo, will do that at the next update as I need to change the link in the index too.

Jean
Always looking for new swap partners: Swap thread (INDEX of Lots in first post)
Please visit my Colnect page for my country and thematic wish and swap lists - these are always being updated.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I understand. Take your time.

Kimmo

kemese1
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by kemese1 »

The Order of Malta is listed in Sassone, which might suggest Italy is more adequate than Malta where the only connection seems to be the name....
Visit http://www.stampworldhistory.com/ - The historical context of stamps issued worldwide

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Kemese1,

thank you for this piece of information.

Kimmo

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

kemese1 wrote:The Order of Malta is listed in Sassone, which might suggest Italy is more adequate than Malta where the only connection seems to be the name....
Their headquarters are, I believe, in Rome. However Wikipedia tells us that:
it retains its claims of sovereignty (over Malta) under international law and has been granted permanent observer status at the United Nations
also
Two bilateral treaties have been concluded with the Government of the Maltese State. The first treaty is dated 21 June 1991 and is now no longer in force. The second treaty was signed on 5 December 1998, but ratified on 1 November 2001.

This agreement grants the Order the use with limited extraterritoriality of the upper portion of Fort St Angelo in the city of Birgu. Its stated purpose is "to give the Order the opportunity to be better enabled to carry out its humanitarian activities as Knights Hospitallers from Saint Angelo, as well as to better define the legal status of Saint Angelo subject to the sovereignity of Malta over it"
So I suggest SMOM stays under Malta :D

Cheers,
Chris
"Consider the postage stamp, son. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there." Josh Billings [Henry Wheeler Shaw (April 21, 1818 – October 14, 1885)]

kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

There seems to be a point for both approaches for listing SMOM. Why not list it both with Malta and with Italy? Any good index - and this is an index not a list - has a certain amount of redundancy in it to allow users to find things from different search angles. If you don't want to have two links that are the same, you can have the first entry with the link and have the second entry refer to the first entry.
Visit http://www.stampworldhistory.com/ - The historical context of stamps issued worldwide

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Chris55,

Thank you for your input. With our collective effort we get better picture than by anyones individual effort.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kemese1,

Thank you for suggestion. I think I have been vaguely thinking it as an option but when you put it forward it becomes as a clear alternative.

Jean,

How do you think about having it in index as two entries? That would probably mean there would be more entries listed more than once. Right now I can think of USA locals catalogue (with Canada and Mexico included) which might get multiple entries. That may lead into administrative issues.

Kimmo

kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

British overseas territories might be a candidate for double listing too...

Belti

Post by Belti »

As regards stamp dealers in Malta they usually stock the SMOM stamps along with Malta stamps. For example the sliemastampshop also has the price list for SMOM stamps on his website. The same goes for Emanuel Said (another local stamp dealer).

The section on the sliema stamp shop website regarding the SMOM is hereunder

http://www.sliemastampshop.com.mt/index/html/SMOM%20Price%20List.htm

As regards Said, for some reason his website does not seem to be accessible at the moment, but he always stocked and quoted priced for the SMOM stamps and coins.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for posting Peru and taking my thread to the third page.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo. I will try to add some more links later on :)

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Discussion on SMOM gets more and more interesting. Keep information pouring in. :)

Kimmo

Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

Belti wrote:Peru, 2013

Peru Stamp Catalogue, from 2009 till 2013

http://www.serpost.com.pe/SellosPostales2013.html

The catalogue is in a foreign language (presumably Spanish) and it includes images of the stamps.
What language do they speak in Peru?

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Stewie1980 wrote:
Belti wrote:Peru, 2013

Peru Stamp Catalogue, from 2009 till 2013

http://www.serpost.com.pe/SellosPostales2013.html

The catalogue is in a foreign language (presumably Spanish) and it includes images of the stamps.
What language do they speak in Peru?
Looks like Spanish to me. Also, Spanish is the official language of Peru.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for posting Pitcairn, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Afghanistan in my thread.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo ... this should keep Jean busy for the weekend :)

Belti

Post by Belti »

Sorry Jean but I added some more :mrgreen:

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

You posted two Andorras. One 'Andorra' and one 'French Andorra'. Is Andorra also French Andorra, or does it have both French and Spanish Andorra?

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for posting Andorra, France, Monaco, French Andorra and Armenia in my thread.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo. One is French Andorra for sure. The other one is in French so I am not sure, but I believe it is French Andorra too.

kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

Belti wrote:You're welcome Kimmo. One is French Andorra for sure. The other one is in French so I am not sure, but I believe it is French Andorra too.
This is about French Andorra. Only it is not a catalog as we would like see it, but a catalog only of what this stampdealer Ceres Philatelie has on sale. Which I guess for Andorra as of 1966 is pretty much everything..

Belti

Post by Belti »

kemese1 wrote:
Belti wrote:You're welcome Kimmo. One is French Andorra for sure. The other one is in French so I am not sure, but I believe it is French Andorra too.
This is about French Andorra. Only it is not a catalog as we would like see it, but a catalog only of what this stampdealer Ceres Philatelie has on sale. Which I guess for Andorra as of 1966 is pretty much everything..
Thank you kemese1 for your feedback regarding that website.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kemese1 wrote:
Jean,

Would you edit Andorra to be French Andorra.

Also, would you add to the 4th paragraph:
This is an online stamp shop and as such can be incomplete anytime even if it is sometimes complete. However, at the time of posting the link this has been fairly complete.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for being busy and adding some 10 new catalogues.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo ... I'm afraid Jean will not thank me though :mrgreen:

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Are the B&H catalogues for different postal authorities? If so, can you specify it?

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

Hi Kimmo

I tried to edit the posts as requested. However, I don't collect that area so I am not much informed about the various postal authorities. Maybe if someone else can provide further details, we can update the posts accordingly.

kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

The link in 'Belgian Congo - "Taxes" Overprint Reference, 1906-1923' doesn't seem to go anywhere, maybe check it.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kemese1 wrote:The link in 'Belgian Congo - "Taxes" Overprint Reference, 1906-1923' doesn't seem to go anywhere, maybe check it.
Unfortunately the website appears to have expired. We should probably wait for while to see if it becomes online again. Thank you for reporting the problem.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti wrote:Hi Kimmo

I tried to edit the posts as requested. However, I don't collect that area so I am not much informed about the various postal authorities. Maybe if someone else can provide further details, we can update the posts accordingly.
They appear to be Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatian post; Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bosniac post and Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbian post. Each has their own stamps, so the content does not overlap. Anyone with more information, pleas correct if I have misuderstood something.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kuikka wrote:
Belti wrote:Hi Kimmo

They appear to be Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatian post; Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bosniac post and Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbian post. Each has their own stamps, so the content does not overlap. Anyone with more information, pleas correct if I have misuderstood something.

Kimmo
Jean,

Please ammend the 2nd paragraph accordingly. Also, please edit Andorra entries so that the 1st paragraph includes only the name Andorra and Second paragraph includes the French / Spanish post where applicable.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for making lots of posts again. I have hard time to keep up with you :) . I just wonder how Jean can keep up with you... she will have much more work with your posts than I have.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Kemese1,

Thank you for posting 2 Mexico catalogues to my thread.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kuikka wrote:
kemese1 wrote:The link in 'Belgian Congo - "Taxes" Overprint Reference, 1906-1923' doesn't seem to go anywhere, maybe check it.
Unfortunately the website appears to have expired. We should probably wait for while to see if it becomes online again. Thank you for reporting the problem.

Kimmo
Jean,

Would you kindly mark both in the index and the post that the link has expired as of today. I think we should keep the link 1-2 months in case the web page reapears. Then, if it is still expired, we should probably remove the link from the index and should concider wether the post should remain without link from index (and with a comment on expired link) or if it should be removed as well.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo :)

kemese1

Post by kemese1 »

kuikka wrote: They appear to be Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatian post; Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bosniac post and Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbian post.
I should think this is correct. To my knowledge Bosnia Herzegovina is a federation of a Croatian part with a government in Mostar and a Serbian part with a government in Banja Luca. The federal government is based in Sarajevo. Both constituent parts of the federation and the federation itself issue stamps.

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for having been busy again.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo ... my bookmarks seems to never end :)

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Good Belti,

Keep posting them. We have long way to go to make this the longest thread on the stampboards :D .

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

kemese1 wrote:
kuikka wrote: They appear to be Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatian post; Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bosniac post and Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbian post.
I should think this is correct. To my knowledge Bosnia Herzegovina is a federation of a Croatian part with a government in Mostar and a Serbian part with a government in Banja Luca. The federal government is based in Sarajevo. Both constituent parts of the federation and the federation itself issue stamps.
Kemese1,

Thank you for confirming my conclusion.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Kemese1,

Thank you for posting Brazil to my thread.

Kimmo

kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Belti,

Thank you for keeping busy with my thread.

Kimmo

Belti

Post by Belti »

You're welcome Kimmo :)

Manu Val
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: Free internet stamp catalogues

Post by Manu Val »

Think you very much all

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”