Looking for a good catalogue of pre-1950 Chinese stamps?

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MrOrganic
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Looking for a good catalogue of pre-1950 Chinese stamps?

Post by MrOrganic »

I am looking for good Catalogue of pre-1950 Chinese stamps?

Thank you

fromdownunder
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Looking for good resource on pre1950 Chinsese stamps

Post by fromdownunder »

You are welcome.

Norm
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain

aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Looking for good resource on pre1950 Chinsese stamps

Post by aethelwulf »

For even more detail, there's the Chan catalogue, a 2-volume set. An auction house in Hong Kong used to be an agent of sorts for it, don't know if they're still selling it.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Arakan
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Looking for good resource on pre-1950 Chinese stamps?

Post by Arakan »

CHINA STAMP SOCIETY SPECIALIZED CATALOG OF CHINA TO 1949

I have the first edition and it's a great reference. Printed on thick paper. Full color. Many varieties listing and illustrated identifications not found in Scott Catalogue. Even better, join the society, lots of members specialize in pre-1950 era.

http://www.chinastampsociety.org/books/china-stamp-society-s ... ing/item-1

Excerpt from the site:

We are taking ADVANCE ORDERS for the SECOND EDITION (2015).

It is expected to be available in somtime in 2015.

The SHANGHAI LOCAL POSTS and TREATY PORTS will be added and there will be many hundreds of price updates, additional listings, corrections, etc.

It will be an over 500-pages, full color, comprehensive, specialized listing from the Imperial issues of 1878 through the Republic issues of 1949. Although originally built upon the Ma Catalog, it goes far beyond that catalog with thousands of specialized listings of varieties and previously unlisted stamps.

In addition, much historical and explanatory text has been added to tell the “who, what, when, where, and why” information so meaningful to an understanding of the material. Rate tables are included to give meaning to the changing face values of the stamps, especially during the inflationary period of the Pacific War and the post-War years.

A new section has been added on Non-stamps: the Imperial and Republic Official Postal Seals (1899-1948) and the Postal Savings stamps (1919-44).

The Preface includes an explanation of the presentation to guide collectors in the use of the catalog and to familiarize them with the basics of Chinese philately. It also includes a Glossary of terms and abbreviations used and tables showing the relevant Chinese characters.

Imperial Issues (1878-1911) includes the Large and Small Dragons (1878-88), the Empress Dowager Commemoratives (1894-97), the Small and Large Figure Surcharges (1897), the Red Revenue Surcharges (1897), the Lithographed Imperial Chinese Post (1897), and the Chinese Imperial Post (1898-1910).

There are sections on the Early Republic Issues (1912-36), the Wartime Issues (1937-45), and the Inflationary Period Issues (Chinese National Currency issues of 1945-48, Gold Yuan issues of 1948-49, and Silver Yuan issues of 1949).

Special Purpose Issues include Airmails (1921-49), Domestic Express and Registered Mail stamps (1905-42), Postage Dues (1904-49), Parcel Post stamps (1945-49), Military Post stamps (1942-48), the British Railway Administration stamp (1901), and Stamp Booklets (1917-36).

Province Issues include Kirin & Heilungkiang (1927-29), Kwangsi and Kweichow (1925), Northeastern Provinces (1946-48), Sinkiang (1915-45), Szechwan (1933), Taiwan (1945-50), Tibet (1911), and Yunnan (1926-32).

The Japanese Occupation section includes maps, historical information, and introductory material on the stamps and the papers used.

It includes the Hopei and Shantung Provincial Overprints (1941); the Small and Large Character District Overprints of Honan, Hopei, Mengkiang, Shansi, Shantung, and Supeh (1941); the Commemoratives on Small and Large Character District Overprints (1942); the North China Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Mengkiang Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Central China issues (1943-45); the South China issues (1942-45); and the stamps of Manchukuo (1932-45).

The Appendix includes an extensive Bibliography of other publications cited in the catalog and a Cross-Reference to additional material in Chiu’s Supplement.
Visit my pictorial cancellation website: http://pcancels.wordpress.com
I Collect Permanent/Scenic pictorial cancellations, China, Taiwan, Japan, Art, Buddhism, Flowers, Fruits, Food/Gastronomy, Mathematics, Scenic Landscape/Landmark, UNESCO World Heritage.

pomerol
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by pomerol »

I recently purchased a set of the new edition of the 2-volume Chan catalogue on eBay. Great resource.

MrOrganic

Post by MrOrganic »

thank you

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

NEW Edition of Chan .. can you please add a link here for that?

Must secure one. 8)

Ditto the new USA book above which sounds great - can someone please post here and let me know when that is printed .. I'll get one for the library.

Glen

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

Global Administrator wrote:NEW Edition of Chan .. can you please add a link here for that?
This is the 2010 2-volume colour-illustrated edition of the Chan catalogue (1878-1949) in Chinese and English, available in soft or hard cover. It is offered as Buy It Now auctions on eBay by user chancatalogue2010 out of Hong Kong. I can add images of the covers later if needed.

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

Cover images added from eBay Buy It Now auction:

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

HK auction house Zurich Asia was selling the 2-vol Chan catalogue when it was 'new'; not sure if they still have stock. I remember buying a couple sets on behalf of SB members.

Edit: Found the link on their website.

http://zurichasia.com/eng/about-us/chans-catalogue/17/

Anybody who would like a set, I could pick them up and on-ship.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

pomerol wrote:
I recently purchased a set of the new edition of the 2-volume Chan catalogue on eBay. Great resource.
The the "new" edition you refer to is actually the 2010? I think I have that.

Thanks for kind offer Jeremy .. does anyone know if a 2015 is on the cards?

Glen

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

As I recall, the 2010 edition was an update long overdue; the previous edition was ancient.

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

The updates to these catalogues have been few and far between. I should have said the latest edition to prevent confusion.

Maxime Citerne
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Maxime Citerne »

I received last week Volume I of the Chan catalogue, edition 2010 (from the same Hong Kong Ebay seller mentionned previously). That Ebay seller has a lot of the 2010 edition in stock. Check carefully their prices, as they are not the same.

Great reference book, easy to follow. Apparantly this edition (2010) represents a significant update from the previous one. What might change the most IF they decide to publish a new one: the prices (anyway, catalogues prices are roughly only a guide, one should follow the actual market sales to be updated).

If you want a more detailed list of possible books to buy, you can have a look at the litterature offering at http://www.michaelrogersinc.com/books.html. Some interesting books there as well.

Max

Member of the Rossica Society, the British Society of Russian Philately (BSRP)

zanechina

Post by zanechina »

the best Chinese stamps catalogue (pre-1949) may from CSS in USA.

The new expanded 2016 Edition of the CHINA STAMP SOCIETY SPECIALIZED CATALOG OF CHINA TO 1949 is now available to replace the 2011 edition

It is a 520-page, full color, comprehensive, specialized listing for the Imperial issues of 1878 through the Republic issues of 1949. Although originally built upon the Ma Catalog, it goes much further with thousands of specialized listings of varieties and previously unlisted stamps.

In addition, historical and explanatory text has been added to tell the “who, what, when, where, and why” information so meaningful to an understanding of the material. Rate tables are included to give meaning to the changing face values during the inflationary period of the Pacific War and the post-War years.

The Preface includes an explanation of the presentation to guide collectors in the use of the catalog. It includes a Glossary of terms and abbreviations used and tables showing the relevant Chinese characters. The Appendix includes a new Overprint and Surcharge Identification Guide, an extensive Bibliography of other publications cited, and a Cross-Reference to additional material in Chiu’s Supplement (available from CSS on DVD). It also has a section on Non-Stamps with listings of the Imperial and Republic Official Postal Seals (1899-1948) and the Postal Savings stamps (1919-44).

Imperial Issues (1878-1911) includes the Large and Small Dragons (1878-88), the Empress Dowager Commemoratives (1894-97), the Small and Large Figure Surcharges (1897), the Red Revenue Surcharges (1897), the Lithographed Imperial Chinese Post (1897), and the Chinese Imperial Post (1898-1910).

There are sections on the Early Republic Issues (1912-36), the Wartime Issues (1937-45), and the Inflationary Period Issues (Chinese National Currency issues of 1945-48, Gold Yuan issues of 1948-49, and Silver Yuan issues of 1949).

Special Purpose Issues includes the Airmails (1921-49), Domestic Express and Registered Mail stamps (1905-42), Postage Dues (1904-49), Parcel Post stamps (1945-49), Military Post stamps (1942-48), the BRA stamp (1901), and Stamp Booklets (1917-36).
Province Issues include Kirin & Heilungkiang (1927-29), Kwangsi and Kweichow (1925), Northeastern Provinces (1946-48), Sinkiang (1915-45), Szechwan (1933), Taiwan (1945-50), Tibet (1911), and Yunnan (1926-32).

The Japanese Occupation section includes maps, historical information, and introductory material on the stamps and the papers used. It includes the Hopei and Shantung Provincial Overprints (1941); the Small and Large Character District Overprints of Honan, Hopei, Mengkiang, Shansi, Shantung, and Supeh (1941); the Commemoratives on Small and Large Character District Overprints (1942); the North China Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Mengkiang Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Central China issues (1943-45); the South China issues (1942-45); and the stamps of Manchukuo (1932-45). It has a new section on the Official Postal Seals of Manchukuo.

Order online at ChinaStampSociety.org using Visa, Master Card, Discover, PayPal, cash, check, or money order, payable to the “China Stamp Society.”

Order by mail from Richard Boyd, 127 Carmody Circle, Folsom, CA 95630, U.S.A.
india postal stationery (Pre-2000), Hyderabad postal stationery (Pre-1948),belgium postal stationery (1871-1909),email,zhai7777@126.com.

pomerol

Post by pomerol »

zanechina wrote:the best Chinese stamps catalogue (pre-1949) may from CSS in USA.

The new expanded 2016 Edition of the CHINA STAMP SOCIETY SPECIALIZED CATALOG OF CHINA TO 1949 is now available to replace the 2011 edition
Order online at ChinaStampSociety.org using Visa, Master Card, Discover, PayPal, cash, check, or money order, payable to the “China Stamp Society.”
Thank you for the information.

DJCMH
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by DJCMH »

Looks like another specialized catalog to add to my library. Glad CSS is in the USA so shipping won't add 50% to my cost! :D
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

RodT
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by RodT »

Thanks for the info. Just ordered my copy online from CSS. Happy birthday to me! :)
IPDA Webmaster. Visit KoalaStamps for quality Oceania, Asia and Europe sets and singles.

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Got my copy of the CSS catalog today. Wow what a gem of a reference work. Generally well written, with fairly clear illustrations to help collectors figure out varieties. Spiral bound pages slightly smaller than 8.5x11. Color illustrations with black drawings to show variety differences. Will post some pictures in a bit but anyone interested in pre-1949 Chinese philately should definitely get a copy of this catalog. An incredible wealth of information, with prices in US$.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

If anyone here is a CSS member, please email me. :)

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

The only things not covered in the CSS catalog are :

As well it does not include the Treaty Ports (Shanghai etc) nor does it cover the local issues for the PLA liberated areas from 1945-1949 (though as forerunners of PRC philately I can see why they would not be included). Otherwise...it's definitely an exhaustive specialized catalog of almost 500 pages covering the Late Qing, Republic, Regionals, Wartime Surcharges of the Republic, The inflation surcharges of the 1945-1949 Civil War era Republic (gold and silver yuan), Back of Books (including specialized items like Postal Savings, see below), Japanese regional occupations and Manchukuo. Definitely worth the price, even with the US$10 surcharge added for non CSS members. And I got my catalog within a week, which considering it was placed during the holidays is very impressive.

As promised some images to make you all salivate :mrgreen:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Arakan

Post by Arakan »

DJCMH wrote: As well it does not include the Treaty Ports (Shanghai etc) nor does it cover the local issues for the PLA liberated areas from 1945-1949 (though as forerunners of PRC philately I can see why they would not be included).
These were originally planned to be included in the second edition but there simply wasn't enough time and resource to get them into the second edition. CSS President James Maxwell offered this explanation in the Sept 2015 issue of China Clipper:

"I again want to apologize for the delay in coming out
with the next printing/edition of the China Stamp Society
Specialized Catalog of China to 1949. My having to do
an auction every 90 days, a magazine every 60 days, and
the disruption from Paul Gault’s death, have combined to
push back completion of the project. We had originally
planned to add the stamps of the Shanghai Local Post
and the Treaty Ports and make it the Second Edition.
However, I think the only way to get the project out his
year is to confine the changes to additions, corrections
and price updates and make it the Third Printing.
"
I Collect Permanent/Scenic pictorial cancellations, China, Taiwan, Japan, Art, Buddhism, Flowers, Fruits, Food/Gastronomy, Mathematics, Scenic Landscape/Landmark, UNESCO World Heritage.

Arakan

Post by Arakan »

Global Administrator wrote:If anyone here is a CSS member, please email me. :)

Glen

Hi Glen, I'm a member of CSS.

Estebanelgato
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Estebanelgato »

Hi, Glenn,

I am also a CSS member. 40 years. If you are at all interested in China, you should join. The China Clipper is considered the journal of record for Chinese philately. I also strongly recommend membership in China Philatelic Society of London. 39 years. Journal of Chinese Philately is just as good as the Clipper, and there is not a lot of overlap. Both groups have many publications essential to a serious China collector. Check out both societies's websites to see all they offer. You won't regret it.

Steve

thirdgreenham
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by thirdgreenham »

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for the latest edition (I believe 2016) of this China catalog. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can find one? Many thanks!!
Andy
what goes around comes around...oh yeah, and respect your parents

ligneN

Post by ligneN »

The "Liberated Areas" (PR China forerunners plus 1920s/40s communist local bases) will never be included in this CSS catalog, as its focus is Empire and Republic. No communist locals, no PRC, no Taiwan after 1950.

stampingpaws

Post by stampingpaws »

Not a catalogue but albums you can print yourself.

I have been collecting China for about 30 years and made my own albums which I sell on EBay and my website https://www.stampingpaws.com.au.

After opening, just move to the bottom of the navigation panel on the left and click on album of interest.

Best wishes
Robert

Wayne1951
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Wayne1951 »

The National Currency Stamps of China 1945-1948 by J. Millard Williams. Published in 1981.

Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

Arakan

Post by Arakan »

Several Stampboards members have previously asked about the availability of the The China Stamp Society Specialized catalog of China to 1949, which has been out of print for a several years.

The China Stamp Society is now taking advance orders for the 2021 edition:

https://www.chinastampsociety.org/books-on-chinese-stamps/ch ... es-/item-1

Tentatively scheduled to ship in December 2020.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Sounds like a worthwhile update Arakan ... I really should get one, and review in my stamp columns :mrgreen: - hope it is a great success for the Society!

For those also interested, here is the summary of it - and some sample pages

Member Price: $US63.95
Non-Member Price: $79.95
Item No: 1

We are taking advance orders for the 2021 edition.
We hope to be able to ship by late December 2020.

IT CONTAINS OVER 1,000 PRICE CHANGES, CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONAL LISTINGS

It is a 520-pages, full color, comprehensive, specialized listing for the Imperial issues of 1878 through the Republic issues of 1949. Although originally built upon the Ma Catalog, it goes much further with thousands of specialized listings of varieties and previously unlisted stamps.

In addition, much historical and explanatory text has been added to tell the “who, what, when, where, and why” information so meaningful to an understanding of the material. Rate tables are included to give meaning to the changing face values of stamps during the inflationary period of the Pacific War and the post-War years.
It has a section on Non-Stamps with listings of the Imperial and Republic Official Postal Seals (1899-1948) and the Postal Savings stamps (1919-44).

The Preface includes an explanation of the presentation to guide collectors in the use of the catalog. It also includes a Glossary of terms and abbreviations used and tables showing the relevant Chinese characters. The Appendix includes a new Overprint and Surcharge Identification Guide, an extensive Bibliography of other publications cited, and a Cross-Reference to additional material in Chiu’s Supplement (available from CSS on DVD).

Special Purpose Issues includes the Airmails (1921-49), Domestic Express and Registered Mail stamps (1905-42), Postage Dues (1904-49), Parcel Post stamps (1945-49), Military Post stamps (1942-48), the British Railway Administration stamp (1901), and Stamp Booklets (1917-36).

The Japanese Occupation section includes maps, historical information, and introductory material on the stamps and the papers used. It includes the Hopei and Shantung Provincial Overprints (1941); the Small and Large Character District Overprints of Honan, Hopei, Mengkiang, Shansi, Shantung, and Supeh (1941); the Commemoratives on Small and Large Character District Overprints (1942); the North China Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45);

The Mengkiang Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Central China issues (1943-45); the South China issues (1942-45); and the stamps of Manchukuo (1932-45). A new section has been added on the Official Postal Seals of Manchukuo.

U.S. postage is $US4.75 Media Mail
Canada is $24.00 Global Post Economy
International postage is $39.53 Global Post Economy

page-72.jpg
page-457.jpg
page-156.jpg
page-6.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Arakan

Re: Looking for a good catalogue of pre-1950 Chinese stamps?

Post by Arakan »

Received this email today. International shipping is quite expensive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

The new expanded 2021 Edition of the
CHINA STAMP SOCIETY SPECIALIZED CATALOG OF CHINA TO 1949
is being printed and will be available in a few days.

It is a 520-page, full color, comprehensive, specialized listing for the Imperial issues of 1878 through the Republic issues up to 1949. Although originally built upon the Ma Catalog, it goes much further with thousands of specialized listings of varieties and previously unlisted stamps.

In addition, historical and explanatory text has been added to tell the “who, what, when, where, and why” information so meaningful to an understanding of the material. Rate tables are included to give meaning to the changing face values during the inflationary period of the Pacific War and the post-War years.

The Preface includes an explanation of the presentation to guide collectors in the use of the catalog. It includes a Glossary of terms and abbreviations used and tables showing the relevant Chinese characters. The Appendix includes an Overprint and Surcharge Identification Guide, an extensive Bibliography of other publications cited, and a Cross-Reference to additional material in Chiu’s Supplement (available from CSS on DVD). It also has a section on Non-Stamps with listings of the Imperial and Republic Official Postal Seals (1899-1948) and the Postal Savings stamps (1919-44).

Special Purpose Issues includes the Airmails (1921-49), Domestic Express and Registered Mail stamps (1905-42), Postage Dues (1904-49), Parcel Post stamps (1945-49), Military Post stamps (1942-48), the BRA stamp (1901), and Stamp Booklets (1917-36).

The Japanese Occupation section includes maps, historical information, and introductory material on the stamps and the papers used. It includes the Hopei and Shantung Provincial Overprints (1941); the Small and Large Character District Overprints of Honan, Hopei, Mengkiang, Shansi, Shantung, and Supeh (1941); the Commemoratives on Small and Large Character District Overprints (1942); the North China Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Mengkiang Surcharges, Overprints and Commemoratives (1942-45); the Central China issues (1943-45); and the South China issues (1942-45).

Manchukuo (1932-45), including on the Official Postal Seals of Manchukuo.

$79.95 (CSS members receive a 20% discount)
Order online at www.ChinaStampSociety.org using Visa, Master Card, Discover, PayPal, cash, check, or money order, payable to the “China Stamp Society.” U.S. members please pay by check.
U.S. postage is $4.75 Media Mail; Canada is $24.00 Global Post Economy;
International postage is $39.53 Global Post Economy

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”