Seeking Johannesburg post office reference material

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

jeremy29
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Seeking Johannesburg post office reference material

Post by jeremy29 »

Has anyone written up the history / operations of the post offices of Johannesburg, South Africa? I am trying to find any information available. It would appear that the main post office was in Rissik Street but at some stage it may have moved to Commissioner Street?

I am especially interested in the period up to 31 May 1961, when South Africa became a republic. The only info I could find on the web was this:

http://www.historicalpapers.wits.ac.za/inventories/inv_pdfo/A1132/A1132-C454-001-jpeg.pdf.

If anyone has a copy of Putzel's Encyclopaedia of South African Post Offices, are they able to show an extract of the Johannesburg entry here?

Thanks

Jeremy
Last edited by Global Administrator on 01 Mar 2021 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded rather vague heading, to make sense to members

Phila-Tourist
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Johannesburg post office reference material

Post by Phila-Tourist »

I recall that when I visited Johannesburg in the early 1990s both POs existed. Rissik Street (opposite the city hall building) was a busy but smallish PO whose interior I vaguely remember as distinctly old/colonial.

The GPO on Commissioner Street (postcode 2000), by contrast, was a utilitarian, ugly, post-war (?) affair, much larger, with a long row of counters.

So it would make total sense that the city started with Rissik Street in its symbolic location, then opened a modern GPO on a busy main street when the former became too small.

In other words, Rissik Street would not have moved but downgraded from GPO to a branch post office.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 01 Mar 2021 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pars and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.

bazza4338
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by bazza4338 »

jeremy29

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks guys, very interesting and informative
Jeremy

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

**EVERY** New thread here MUST have an IMAGE.

Pure common sense, and NOT hard to do

Admin

1906 General Post Office Johannesburg South Africa post card
1906 General Post Office Johannesburg South Africa post card
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

rb_za
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Seeking Johannesburg post office reference material

Post by rb_za »

Hi Jeremy, I have Putzel's books, the Johannesburg entry is 14 pages long so I think that is too much copyright material to share. In that lot there is also a list of around 130 branches that fall under Johannesburg.

Ciao
Renzo

jeremy29

Re: Seeking Johannesburg post office reference material

Post by jeremy29 »

Thanks Renzo. If it is out of print you can copy up to 10% of the book for research purposes
Jeremy

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”