GB: Barred Numeral Cancellations of England and Wales - pdfs

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

GB: Barred Numeral Cancellations of England and Wales - pdfs

Post by norvic »

The Great Britain Philatelic Society has announced that the full text of Barred Numeral Cancellations of England and Wales by John Parmenter, David Luckly, Ken Smith, and Prof. Cedric Prys-Roberts (revised and updated for 2021) is now available for download.

Normanton Station 048 Duplex postmark 1906 (list price£6 - from my collection)
Normanton Station 048 Duplex postmark 1906 (list price£6 - from my collection)
RARITY & PRICE
The rarity index ranges from A = abundant to H = very few recorded. H* has been used for proofed cancels that have only been recorded on loose stamp. GPO means that the cancel has only been seen in the Proof Books.Prices for coloured cancels have not been quoted, there is too much variation.Prices have not been updated from those quoted in the six volume set issued 2011 to 2013 -i.e. they are at least 10 years old
Nonetheless a very useful resource.

https://www.gbps.org.uk/information/po-numbers/

Sample pages from Norfolk / Dereham, including a few paras from the classification:

Classification of Barred Numeral Cancellations of England & Wales.
Classification of Barred Numeral Cancellations of England & Wales.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.01.20.png
Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.01.30.png
Three extracts from the pages detailing (East) Dereham postmarks.
Three extracts from the pages detailing (East) Dereham postmarks.

EDIT: And of course if you have an example which doesn't fit in with the data in the list, by extending dates or adding codes or times, then the Society will wish to hear from you!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: GB: Barred Numeral Cancellations of England and Wales - pdfs

Post by Global Administrator »

Looks a very useful resource - thanks Ian. :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”