citystampmontreal - knowingly selling fakes on ebay

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

citystampmontreal - knowingly selling fakes on ebay

Post by The Pom »

They know they're selling fakes, because I've told them. Twice.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australia-O2-XF-NH_W0QQitemZ270396932421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clearly a fake overprint. Which I've told them about. Twice.

Compared with a genuine overprint (theirs above, mine below).

Not even close.

And just in case they think theirs is genuine, and mine is fake.

The other one they're selling is fake as well.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australia-O1-XF-NH_W0QQitemZ270396932410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: citystampmontreal - knowingly selling fakes on ebay

Post by PeterS »

Chris, for what it is worth I sent them a note about this as well. Have you lodged a report to eBay?
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

Filajunkie
Now using the member name "Stamp Culture"
Now using the member name "Stamp Culture"

Post by Filajunkie »

Chris and Peter,

This dealer is a member of:
City Stamp Montreal is a member of C.S.D.A. and A.P.S.
just got it form it's website: http://www.citystamp.ca/

If Ebay doesn't work a complain with the emails you have a wonderfull oppertunity to complain at these Associations.
I bet it is against there policy what this company is doing :!:
Knowledge is Power, but it is worthless when you don't share it!

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Both lots have been reported to ebay.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Tassie_Stamps
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Tassie_Stamps »

There will always be people selling fakes on eBay.

Thankgod for so many people (members here) taking time to point this out, and hopefully stop people from selling, well .... Crap : )

robinredbreast
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by robinredbreast »

I only look at eBay UK, so have no sight of the fakes sold elsewhere. I'm impressed at the strength of concern by all who have responded so far - getting a very strong feeling that there is a lot of fear out there. The recent fakes of SPECIMEN and CANCELLED overprints on the GB 1937 KGVI Coronation on eBay were gently admitted to be of dubious provenance by the seller, who suggested that were they proven to be fakes they could happily be used as fillers, until a genuine replacement was acquired. I paid £12 for a nice marginal pair...

I have a couple of these items from SG auctions with certificates of authenticity. I bought a couple of the fakes so that I could mount then side by side, with mega enlarged scans to show the difference. I haven't been able to do that yet, but will eventually, and will happily post the results if anybody cares to see them.

I wrote to the seller and asked whether (it turned out to be a) she had any similar for KE8. The reply came back, "... I think I have a few somewhere, and will put them up when I find them." Nothing since. I wonder if I scared her off?

But surely the lesson in all the remarks about this subject is that in all enterprises, the principle in law is caveat emptor, buyer beware. I heard from a friend recently that the vendors of the JERSEY-with-a-swastika overprints had even put up a set of QEII with the overprints. These weren't fakes, they were nonsense! But he bought the set for £20 and used them in a presentation talk at the club - where he told some cautionary tales, most effectively.

Remember that eBay always gives you the opportunity to write to the vendor for more information, and I have several times received hi-resolution scans in this way. And the vendor is held under law by the description he posts. A sale date only two or three days after the initial posting , especially of potentially very valuable items smells to high heaven. Caveat emptor!

amfhf1
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by amfhf1 »

City Stamps in Montreal attend alot of shows in Canada, I will have to give them a hard time the next time I see them.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Bear in mind that the original posts are over 2 years old, lest ye get egg on your face :oops:
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

robinredbreast wrote:I heard from a friend recently that the vendors of the JERSEY-with-a-swastika overprints had even put up a set of QEII with the overprints. These weren't fakes, they were nonsense!
ALL used examples of these (and most mint) are fakes - they were prepared as "essays" in effect, but never issued.

The reason was that the Nazis did not wish to "offend" the British by obliterating their King in such a way. Possibly because they still harboured ambitions for an alliance with Britain as part of what they saw as an "anti-Bolshevic crusade".

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

robinredbreast wrote:the vendors of the JERSEY-with-a-swastika overprints had even put up a set of QEII with the overprints. These weren't fakes, they were nonsense! But he bought the set for £20 and used them in a presentation talk at the club - where he told some cautionary tales, most effectively.
I wouldn't have paid 20 quid for some fantasy nonsense like that; maybe £2. If I were the person giving the presentation, I would just save a copy of the image from the eBay listing. After all, when you give your presentation you'll be using Powerpoint or some similar method of displaying images of the stamps under discussion.

Saving a copy of the image will cost you zero, but your point and its effect will still be made in the presentation. :idea:

Buying those, at that price, could just encourage someone, somewhere, to make more.

Just as the people who buy all the "stamps" "issued" for all those non-existent former-Soviet states will say "it doesn't hurt if I only spend $2 on a sheetlet"...well it can hurt, as the makers will churn out more, and what if someone builds a thematic collection of hundreds of those only to find out its worthless, or sets are sold to non-collectors for $49.99 as "rare exotic tributes to [X]"
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Been many other reports here on this ebay seller citystampmontreal offering dubious material recently.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14939&start=188

These outrageous fakes offered for about $A1000 ALL YEAR have been reported to them many times -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Australia-O1-O2-Very-Fine-Mint-Bloc ... 4249363706

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Waffle
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Waffle »

So what is new on Ebay? You have been warned many times. There are a lot of crooks out there, trust no-one, especially on Ebay!
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.

iaincraven
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by iaincraven »

So what is new on Ebay? You have been warned many times.
Glen is trying to warn about the activities of a specific seller on eBay. I don't think dismissing his information like this is very helpful?
BC Stamps Limited
https://www.bcstamps.co.uk

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

11 years later and still doesn't confirm high value overprints, even though it's so easy to check. :cry: sad.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

City Stamp Montreal is at most of the big stamp shows in Canada, and some in the USA. They also have a retail store. They bring a lot of material and they have a lot of Canadian rarities and some really great stock. That said, they are hopelessly over-priced. I have never bought anything from them, although I will window shop a bit.

Many years ago, when I lived in Montreal, I had a small collection of Nova Scotia that I was selling off. I approached them and their offer was insulting. I ended up getting almost three times what they offered from Eastern Auctions.

I have never heard anyone speak of them in terms of offering Canadian fakes.
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

yellowduck
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by yellowduck »

Uppercanadian wrote:
20 Sep 2021 14:27
Many years ago, when I lived in Montreal, I had a small collection of Nova Scotia that I was selling off. I approached them and their offer was insulting. I ended up getting almost three times what they offered from Eastern Auctions.
Buy at really low prices that are an insult, then sell at an inflated price. Nice business model. Just have to find people who accept to sell at stupid low buy offers, and customers willing to pay too much to buy things. Sounds like a business to avoid.

Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

There are plenty of stamp dealers out there that can't be trusted.

All you have to do is take a collection to them and tell them you inherited it and you don't really know anything about stamps.

Trust me, they'll give you nothing for it.
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”