matthijs_philatelie and their "loyal" ebay customers. Thoughts?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: matthijs_philatelie and their loyal customers. Thoughts?

Post by steevh »

Uppercanadian wrote:
Anyway, my suggestion is to try him for yourself. I have never seen anything fishy with anything I have bid on. I have picked up items catalogued at over $200, for less than $20. I have never been disappointed with his material or with the price I paid for it.
I have no reason to 'try him for myself'. He's selling all-sorts, and I'm buying all-sorts, but there's no reason for me to pay the heavy postage charges from Belgium to UK, and also the terrible pound-euro exchange rate right now.

Also, I pick up items with CV of $200 for less than 10% of cat all the time. In fact, probably all the stuff I buy. But that doesn't guarantee that its a great deal, either.

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

This summer I bought a good number of Belgian used semi postal sets from before 1960, for a number of these I was the first and only bidder and won them for only 1 euro. Maybe some items that I did not win is due to shill bidding, I don't know. But I don't care really, as I was very happy with the items that I did win.

60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by 60022Mallard »

For some reason matthijs_philatelie items do not appear on my eBay UK worldwide search, but do appear when I look on eBay international.

Despite appearing on international seemingly eBay will not allow my bids from the UK for his material.

I presume I asm not alone with this situation, and does anyone know why sales to the UK are not allowed by eBay?

deltic1575
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by deltic1575 »

I have the same issue - I now buy my Belgium material from antverpiastamps

I still get Matthijis emails for his own auctions

billfromlachine
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by billfromlachine »

mallard,

I belong to Ebay.com so no problem with his material showing up. Ebay country specific sites maybe have a non compete set up not to poach each others clients not sure how things work in the background.

Matthijs has always treated me fairly so no complaints on my end and he does carry a broad range of material from modern muh to topicals and well as some older classics.

60022Mallard wrote:For some reason matthijs_philatelie items do not appear on my eBay UK worldwide search, but do appear when I look on eBay international.

Despite appearing on international seemingly eBay will not allow my bids from the UK for his material.

I presume I asm not alone with this situation, and does anyone know why sales to the UK are not allowed by eBay?

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

Late last year I placed what I thought was a winning bid on one of his lots but it was rejected. I enquired of him:

'I just entered a bid of $56 on this stamp and the bid was declined by Ebay, stating you were not authorised to sell to Great Britain, yet your listing states you ship to Great Britain. What's going on? This is a problem, because you have some other lots I would like to bid on'.

and got the following response:

Yes I can not sell in UK because UK forced me to have a UK VAT number
I've only of course a belgium VAT number

He also later added that only the UK wanted a VAT no.

Luigi

deltic1575

Post by deltic1575 »

Now accepting bids from the UK again

apostolnikolov
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by apostolnikolov »

I have bought lots of stamps from him in past 3 years and I was happy every time - easy communication, clear invoices, fast and reliable shipment, high quality of stamps.
I have big accumulation of stamp cards (over 100) for free.

alptorun
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by alptorun »

I bought lots of items from him. One day I retract bid and he blocked me. I opened a second account and continue to buy from him :D Overall he got lots of good items but he is an arrogant seller and blocked customers for some childish reasons.

burlingtonbob
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Post by burlingtonbob »

The biggest problem with matthijs_philatelie is that they have fake accounts to bid on their listings. Often they get 'stuck' with the lot and they will relist in 4-6 weeks later.

Ebay takes only limited action because they make so much money on this account. Occassionally ebay will limit the number of bids that any one account can make but then they just set up new fake accounts.

E-Sherman
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Re: matthijs_philatelie and their "loyal" ebay customers. Thoughts?

Post by E-Sherman »

I have never been certain that Matthijs uses shill accounts but I would not be surprised. The limitation on bidding for new accounts, I believe, is a function of a setting used by the seller, not one imposed by eBay. I am one of the rabble of blocked bidders, caused when I asked about an expensive MNH set that arrived hinged.

That said, I have used my wife's account, my business account, and at least one other to continue bidding on hundreds of lots. Each gradually became blocked. Makes you wonder- when does this ingrate start reducing revenue due to his "rules?"

Someone mentioned that he is very childish, and I agree. He reminds me of the soup Nazi on the Seinfeld TV show. Not sure if that show ever made it Down Under. One false move, and it's "no soup for you!" Forever!
All the best,

Ed, Florida USA

Old Architect
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Old Architect »

Won an auction Sept. 19th. Only a couple other bidders & they seemed to give up. Shipping did seem a tad higher than other UK sellers. Price was reasonable for a small lot.

Seems like there's many auctions ending all at once so, shill bidding appears difficult unless he has help. Still waiting for my CTO mini sheets to arrive..... soon hopefully, after reading some of these comments :o :shock:
Courtesy is contagious.

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

I am surprised some are blocked because there was a problem?

I won a bid on an item a few months ago (picture is not from the auction), it was a used overprinted with Eupen

Overprint--Eupen--on-Three-Kings.jpg
but instead made a mistake and send me this version:

Surcharge--Allemagne-Duitschland--on-Three-Kings.jpg
I kindly asked my money back, told him that everyone can make a mistake, and got full refund. He did not ask to send it back, but I did anyway.

The only 'bad' experience I had when I won a whole bunch of Ethiopian auctions that postage was way too high. But he does state (back then) that sending is 9 dollars, and 3 dollars for every item added. But in the end I paid +120 dollars postage, but sending within Belgium was in fact only +/-15 euro.

So I asked if I could get reduction on postage, but he said clearly no. That was a bit of a disappointment, but then again, he does stipulate it this way and does not want to make an exception.
Last edited by Global Administrator on 02 Oct 2021 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

philatelic

Post by philatelic »

He reminds me of the soup Nazi on the Seinfeld TV show. Not sure if that show ever made it Down Under.
No, we're currently watching Gilligan's Island and looking forward to Season 6 of Bonanza, not to mention Season 3 of Rawhide

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

alptorun wrote:
01 Oct 2021 18:40
Overall he got lots of good items but he is an arrogant seller and blocked customers for some childish reasons.
He's arrogant alright. My CTO sheets (w/ gum, as expected) arrived heavily hinged after I ASKED HIM - TWICE (no response). He said they're "used" & therefore have no gum, etc. I wonder if he actually looks at items prior to listing or shipping out? The shipping wasn't registered & I paid for it. His responses ARE childish, without logic & he broke his own "rules" by not mentioning any hinging or condition. Thankfully I didn't spend a lot of money on this "first run."

It certainly appears that he has lots of great items & I was waiting for the right time to jump in. I think the "indirect approach" might be the best w/ several accounts to get what you want.
I for one, might try a different account next time because I'm sure he blocked me over a glaringly obvious "oversight" on his part. His arrogance & infantile remarks hardly win over customers. Definitely ego-centric.
Courtesy is contagious.

E-Sherman

Post by E-Sherman »

Good points Architect, thanks. Lovely to see a response with more substance and less snark. :)
All the best,

Ed, Florida USA

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

Old Architect wrote:
09 Oct 2021 03:39
alptorun wrote:
01 Oct 2021 18:40
Overall he got lots of good items but he is an arrogant seller and blocked customers for some childish reasons.
He's arrogant alright. My CTO sheets (w/ gum, as expected) arrived heavily hinged after I ASKED HIM - TWICE (no response). He said they're "used" & therefore have no gum, etc. I wonder if he actually looks at items prior to listing or shipping out? The shipping wasn't registered & I paid for it. His responses ARE childish, without logic & he broke his own "rules" by not mentioning any hinging or condition. Thankfully I didn't spend a lot of money on this "first run."

It certainly appears that he has lots of great items & I was waiting for the right time to jump in. I think the "indirect approach" might be the best w/ several accounts to get what you want.
I for one, might try a different account next time because I'm sure he blocked me over a glaringly obvious "oversight" on his part. His arrogance & infantile remarks hardly win over customers. Definitely ego-centric.
I do not fully agree that these sheets needs to be with gum. Canceled to order means postal offices cancels stamps or stamp sheets without being send out. Or collectors asks stamps to be canceled, without being used.

But that doesn't mean that a collector can soak these, but they will still be concidered CTO stamps. With or without gum.

I don't like it when I exchange and receive Bulgarian stamps marked as used, when it is clearly they are soaked and are CTO.

I wish when I was a kid, my Czech stamps would have been without gum, as it ruined a number of albums. Or maybe someone lived in a very humid environment, and thought it would be better to have them without gum to avoid rust.

And many CTO type of stamps like Mongolia or Cuba don't have gum either in many cases.

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

aerogi wrote:
09 Oct 2021 04:22
I do not fully agree that these sheets needs to be with gum. Canceled to order means postal offices cancels stamps or stamp sheets without being send out. Or collectors asks stamps to be canceled, without being used.

But that doesn't mean that a collector can soak these, but they will still be concidered CTO stamps. With or without gum.
Indeed. I stated I "expected" them to have gum as with similar sheets. "Used" means sent, doesn't it? This sellers listing said used but they were clearly CTOs & never used. CTO may or may not have gum but, why remove gum unless there's an issue (like hinges, etc.)?

If an eBay seller doesn't state "without gum" & "hinged" in their listing, or answer you once you've asked them, that would seem to indicate deception. That's all I was really pointing out. Sorry for any confusion :) .
Courtesy is contagious.

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

@E-Sherman
Thanks for the note. Information is supposed to be this forum's claim to fame. Just trying to pass on the tradition.
Cheers
Courtesy is contagious.

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Old Architect wrote:
09 Oct 2021 04:50
"Used" means sent, doesn't it? This sellers listing said used but they were clearly CTOs & never used.
Unfortunately some dealers seem to regard "used" and "CTO" as interchangeable - especially so when it comes to recent stamps.

Some years ago there was a thread concerning Stanley Gibbons selling CTO stamps as fine used (at an inflated price):
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38438
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

Old Architect wrote:
09 Oct 2021 04:50
aerogi wrote:
09 Oct 2021 04:22

Indeed. I stated I "expected" them to have gum as with similar sheets. "Used" means sent, doesn't it? This sellers listing said used but they were clearly CTOs & never used. CTO may or may not have gum but, why remove gum unless there's an issue (like hinges, etc.)?

If an eBay seller doesn't state "without gum" & "hinged" in their listing, or answer you once you've asked them, that would seem to indicate deception. That's all I was really pointing out. Sorry for any confusion :) .
You are right on the part that you can expect that seller states with or without gum. But he has so many lots, and I am pretty sure he has some employees that helps him to get everything scanned that maybe there it got wrong.

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

@HalfpennyYellow
Super reference & I agree with your assessment within it (so do a majority). One would think a reputable dealer would understand the difference or, at least apply definitions equally to all their items. Unfortunately you're correct. My sheets were intentionally CTO for masses of folks in the 1930's. I don't think SG's definitions would have helped with this dealer simply because he doesn't appear to care. Feedback comments can be quite telling, hence this lengthy thread about him, et al.

It's all about the mighty $ no doubt.... eBay's favorite type of dealer. They don't seem to care about quality, fakes or forgeries as long as they get their cut. No one over there can properly police their listings & they make it difficult to report things to the proper departments. That "Report" button needs a good revision to simply state "Forgery, Shill & Are you kidding me?!" If one isn't armed with LOTS of knowledge the bears there will eat you up ...& all your hard-earned $'s.
Thank you for that lucid & informative thread!
Courtesy is contagious.

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

aerogi wrote:
09 Oct 2021 18:22
You are right on the part that you can expect that seller states with or without gum. But he has so many lots, and I am pretty sure he has some employees that helps him to get everything scanned that maybe there it got wrong.
An honest dealer would admit their mistake &/or attempt to "make amends." This fellow responds defensively when one points out an "error" + offers a solution to avoid an eBay intervention. Very unprofessional & childish, despite those whom have had positive commerce with him.
Courtesy is contagious.

Uppercanadian
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Uppercanadian »

burlingtonbob wrote:
01 Oct 2021 22:51
The biggest problem with matthijs_philatelie is that they have fake accounts to bid on their listings. Often they get 'stuck' with the lot and they will relist in 4-6 weeks later.

Ebay takes only limited action because they make so much money on this account. Occassionally ebay will limit the number of bids that any one account can make but then they just set up new fake accounts.
Are you able to supply any proof that would support your accusation?
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

Uppercanadian wrote:
14 Oct 2021 05:22
burlingtonbob wrote:
The biggest problem with matthijs_philatelie is that they have fake accounts to bid on their listings.

Occassionally ebay will limit the number of bids that any one account can make but then they just set up new fake accounts.
I think that's difficult for anyone, except eBay, to provide hard evidence. All the comments here are (generally) observationally based. This thread was, I thought, to ask about & highlight issues with this seller.

As a note to my previous posts thusly, this seller blocked me DURING A DISPUTE. So I was unable to communicate with him about a return & it took some lengthy efforts on my part to bypass many of eBays "redirects" back to articles &, thankfully, initiate a chat with a representative. More evidence that this seller is unwilling to deal with anyone he feels isn't worth his time. Very unprofessional & frustrating. The fact that others within this post have used other accounts to bypass his blockings, is yet more evidence. Observational data of a simple set of variables, over time, is just as strong as any other frame of reference.
Courtesy is contagious.

Uppercanadian

Post by Uppercanadian »

I continue to bid almost weekly on his auctions and I have never noticed anything funny going on at all. Most of the time I'm getting my items at 15% or less of catalogue. This guy also has a massive stock. Some items he is listing on a weekly basis.

Now I'm the first one to agree that the owner is childish and unprofessional in terms of his relations with eBay customers.

When I got cut off, I phoned and asked to speak with the owner. They refused to pass me through. I talked to the guy in the store and he said he would bring my apology to the owner but that he felt there was little chance that he would reinstate my eBay account. In fact it was this guy in the shop that suggested I simply open another eBay account and continue bidding again.

But to go from being unprofessional to accusing him of shill bidding and other illegal activities without any proof is defamation. Burlington Bob does not write that he suspects there's shill bidding, he writes that there is shill bidding. So I am challenging him to come up with proof.
All the best,
Brad Fallon - maltonmanor at hotmail dot com

burlingtonbob

Post by burlingtonbob »

Uppercanadian wrote:
14 Oct 2021 05:22
burlingtonbob wrote:

I have taken photos of various listings and the bidding history on those items. These show a pattern of bidding not consistent with actual collectors and a high number of bids for one "buyer" with Matthijs. What is most telling is that in many of the documented cases the same items will be relisted again in 4-6 weeks time. There is definately a fraudulent system of fake bids, schill bids and artificial inflation of prices. I submitted this to ebay several years ago and action was eventually taken but they are not back to their old tricks.

E-Sherman

Post by E-Sherman »

They seem to have a very large stock of some items, such as topicals. This seems to also be true for some older material from the 1960s and 70s. So I am not surprised that some items show up multiple times.

It's almost like a very wealthy parent or other relative spent millions on new issues long ago after which the current owner took the reigns. They still offer huge volumes of newly-issued, topically-oriented wallpaper. So it feels like a long-established practice.

The attitude toward customers clearly show the owner values indulging his emotions over building a sustainable business over the long term. Obviously, he doesn't need the revenue or he would act like he did. Easy come easy go.

It's entertaining if nothing else.
All the best,

Ed, Florida USA

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Number-O-Ne »

I got curious and checked the Italian stamps.

There's not much, but I was surprised to see some Italian Social Republic stamps (my field) with 1943 GNR overprints correctly described as Brescia or Verona.

Catalog value is not much for low denominations, but the distinction between two separate overprint types is expert knowledge that would not be expected from this particular seller. Probably buys collections and sells what he finds.

deltic1575

Post by deltic1575 »

My perception is that he is a highly experienced dealer - he sells more specialised material through his own regular auctions and moves high volumes of less valuable stuff through his ebay site. He has over 9,000 items for sale on his ebay site of which less than 100 are buy it now items. What I find intriguing is that he never puts the catalogue number on his ebay sales but does for his own auctions.

steevh

Post by steevh »

E-Sherman wrote:
14 Oct 2021 13:18
The attitude toward customers clearly show the owner values indulging his emotions over building a sustainable business over the long term. Obviously, he doesn't need the revenue or he would act like he did. Easy come easy go.

I don't know if you've ever tried selling on eBay, but 'difficult' customers can really waste your time.
This guy has a feedback score of over 300,000, meaning he must have made over 1 million sales.
I would certainly call that a 'sustainable' business.

He must be incredibly busy dealing with all the orders, and appears to have decided to take a blanket response to any disputes -- block anyone who has an issue. I can't say I blame him.

I sell nothing like his huge volumes, so I have the time to sort the real complaints from the scammers, but I can understand a busy man taking a blanket approach.

Old Architect

Post by Old Architect »

steevh wrote:
16 Oct 2021 22:38
E-Sherman wrote:
14 Oct 2021 13:18

He must be incredibly busy dealing with all the orders, and appears to have decided to take a blanket response to any disputes -- block anyone who has an issue. I can't say I blame him.

I sell nothing like his huge volumes, so I have the time to sort the real complaints from the scammers, but I can understand a busy man taking a blanket approach.
Hardly a way to get repeat customers. Any reputable dealer, in my humble opinion, who does this kind of volume, needs help (apparently he has that) & a good accountant. He completely ignored my return funds after accepting an eBay return. If this is a million dollar business he needs to start treating it like one.
Courtesy is contagious.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”