New Rules about what you MUST do when posting a thread here

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

New Rules about what you MUST do when posting a thread here

Post by GlenStephens »

If you post a thread, or even add a post to an existing thread re an ebay or trademe type lot etc, we have several new rules you WILL abide by please.

1. You will mention the seller, i.e. power4012

2. You will load the photo of whatever is in discussion into your www.imgur.com account etc - i.e. not the source auction photo - i.e. as per the one at top of this thread, as that will vanish within weeks.

3. You will post the actual lot number - i.e. ebay Item number 250395567873

4. You will also post the url link to the lot i.e.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250395567873

And you will highlight that link with your cursor, and you will select the "URL" box and click that.

You will also when needed REMOVE EVERYTHING past the lot number on the massive links you often get on ebay. i.e.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australia-Post-Stamp-Pack-1971-Christ ... ian_Stamps ?hash=item250395707923&_trksid= p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Which just becomes item XXXXXXXX and NOTHING after that - i.e.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/Australia-Post-Stamp-Pack-1971-Christ ... 0395707923

5. You will press the "PREVIEW" button first, before you hit "SUBMIT" to check it all looks fine. (Wise members proud of their posts do that for EVERY post!) You will check there is SPACE between the photo and lines of text above and below -- many members never do this. Likewise the highlighted URL .. add SPACE top and bottom.

White space is our friend on a Bulletin Board, as things look better, and read better, if you use it. Likewise vast gobs of type is NOT attractive. Every sentence or two SHOULD be a new par from all members .. not "War and Peace" with no spaces.

And we DO use capital letters where conventional. 8)

6. You will after you press "SUBMIT" click on all links and ensure they work, and ensure the photo has loaded correctly .. you have an hour to edit as often as you like, and fix them up if they do not work.

=============

Why?

As after a few weeks ebay images and lots vanish off all these sites.

So we then have 100 threads here with

"Wow - check this out"

That gets 5 or 10 replies and in 3 months no-one has a CLUE what anyone was referring to - the lot, the country, the seller or the image.

This new deal will ensure in a YEAR we can see what was going on. Or FIVE years or TEN years. :idea:

Often with shonks and forgers etc, having the lot number and seller name is very important to record forever as google indexes it forever then.

Thanks for your help. :mrgreen:

ALL new threads and posts are expected to comply.

The info above can be worked into a post as you see fit, but it MUST all be there OK?

Glen

The last couple of editions of Windows have had the "Snipping Tool" as part of the toolbar.

Allows us to take superb captures of ANYTHING in seconds. :mrgreen:

ozsupastore
Suspended Member

Re: New Rules about what you MUST do when posting a thread here

Post by ozsupastore »

:D Well said, Glen
Springfield's resident rhetorician

pertinax
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members
Author - 'Best Thread Of All Time' as voted by our members

Post by pertinax »

Do we think it should also be good to include the start price, which also 'goes' with the listing?

Scott
vincit omnia pertinax virtus

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Scott -- optional and preferred, yes. 8)

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Suggest this is bumped every few hours as I have been out all morning and found it near the bottom of page 1. Whilst the new rules are logical and I probably would have done everything, I wouldn't have wanted to incur anybody's wrath for not following a rule which I didn't know about. (Or it could be included in an admin email to all members - that's the reason we like admin emails!)

As a matter of course I never use the main index and - apart from responding to email links - only ever use the 'View new posts' link. So if it ain't obvious, I don't see it!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

dwhopper
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dwhopper »

How do you get the eBay image? I used to be able to do that easily, but no more. Seems to be a change at their end. Any assistance?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Why not post a url and others can assist you.

EVERY ebay image is easily postable here. As can be seen daily.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:Why not post a url and others can assist you.

EVERY ebay image is easily postable here. As can be seen daily.
eBay seem to have changed the capacity to copy their images through right-clicking. Screen capture is the easiest way.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote:
eBay seem to have changed the capacity to copy their images through right-clicking.
Wrong. Sometime Auctiva etc does, but not ebay AFAIK. Viz -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360243967338

As was asked add a link here that this feature allegedly occurs on, and you will be shown how to add the image here. :idea:

mikestein
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Post by mikestein »

norvic wrote:
eBay seem to have changed the capacity to copy their images through right-clicking. Screen capture is the easiest way.
I can still right click. I've been nicking images all day 'cos eBay Australia has free listings for a few weeks, and I'm dumping a tonne (only slight exaggeration) of CDs.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Administrator wrote:
norvic wrote:
eBay seem to have changed the capacity to copy their images through right-clicking.
Wrong.
Browser and OS dependent - keep an open mind. Not all Stampboards members use the same: if somebody says it isn't possible, then it probably isn't possible. Sadly it isn't always possible to prove it by doing a screen grab of a right-click menu, as it disappears when the screen-grab is initiated.

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

norvic wrote:Browser and OS dependent - keep an open mind. Not all Stampboards members use the same: if somebody says it isn't possible, then it probably isn't possible. Sadly it isn't always possible to prove it by doing a screen grab of a right-click menu, as it disappears when the screen-grab is initiated.
I have found it necessary to use my snipping tool for the last couple of months to capture ebay images. Prior to that, I never had a problem :?
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: New Rules about what you MUST do when posting a thread h

Post by ozstamps »

The last couple of Windows have had the "Snipping Tool" as part of the toolbar.

Allows me to take superb captures of ANYTHING in seconds. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

mcgooley

Post by mcgooley »

Thank you kind sir, exactly wot I was trying to say.

This circumvents whatever has now been put in place by the 'powers-that-be' to stop us "criminimals" from taking snapshots of what legitimate and honest forgers are doing :lol:
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

And for those with older versions of Windows etc seems like one for free is a cinch -

http://en.softonic.com/s/snipping-tool

samkelly
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by samkelly »

dwhopper wrote:How do you get the eBay image? I used to be able to do that easily, but no more. Seems to be a change at their end. Any assistance?
If you just want the image do the same as you do when you select TEXT to copy and paste.
Hold the left mouse button down OUTSIDE THE PICTURE and slide it accross the ebay picture, it will change colour just like selecting text, right click and copy.
You can then paste into a word document.

Sam
Such Is Life

norvic

Post by norvic »

samkelly wrote:
dwhopper wrote:How do you get the eBay image? I used to be able to do that easily, but no more. Seems to be a change at their end. Any assistance?
If you just want the image do the same as you do when you select TEXT to copy and paste.
Hold the left mouse button down OUTSIDE THE PICTURE and slide it accross the ebay picture, it will change colour just like selecting text, right click and copy.
You can then paste into a word document.

Sam
Not much good for posting it into Stampboards thought :(

librarianc
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by librarianc »

I find it's a two step process. I have to save the image to my computer first, then upload to Photobucket.....as with this image I just borrowed from eBay a minute ago for this test:

I created a folder on my desktop called stampboard images and I save any copied pics into it (so I know where to find them for uploading to my Photobucket account).

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

norvic

Post by norvic »

Firefox users can use the photobucket-uploader add-on, which allows one to right-click on any image, and the uploader item appears on the menu. The image shown below was captured from the one above and added to my photobucket account; the IMG code was then available - all without actually seeing the photobucket website.

ramanandn
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by ramanandn »

Just a FYI... looks like the uploader plug-in does not work with the latest Firefox (4.0.1) version. Only pointed this out since Firefox keeps pinging you to update it. :D

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-uploader/

Cheers

norvic

Post by norvic »

ramanandn wrote:Just a FYI... looks like the uploader plug-in does not work with the latest Firefox (4.0.1) version. Only pointed this out since Firefox keeps pinging you to update it. :D

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-uploader/

Cheers
Thanks; perhaps another reason to stick with the older version, though I understand 4.0 is faster.

cobbie10
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by cobbie10 »

I cannot copy an image on an Ebay lot unless that image has also been linked to and included in the persons description. When right clicking on any image at the top left of the Ebay lot, the only option I get is to "copy link".

norvic

Post by norvic »

You need a screen capture device.

If you use a Mac, it's Cmnd+Shift+4, which gives you cross-hairs to select part of the screen and save a .png file to your desktop. Open this in Preview and use 'save as' to change it to a jpeg with a new filename.

If you don't use a Mac, I'm afraid you'll have to search on google for a similar device.

cobbie10

Post by cobbie10 »

Way too much trouble and time. I'll just make sure I never need to link to any auctions.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Your choice. Such a small piece of software is invaluable for capturing not just stamp images but other parts of the screen, either for your own future reference or to demonstrate something.

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

Here's a cheap option.

Simple to download and even easier to use.

I've used it at work for over a year in lieu of the 'alt print screen' etc. Greenshot automatically does all that. You just have to select the folder to save it in.

Rather than verbally describing a file location for our drafting staff I just use Greenshot to visually capture the drawing's path then I print it. That easy as shown below.
Give it a try.
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

chipg

Shorter way to link to ebay auctions

Post by chipg »

I've learned that it is possible to link to ebay auctions with just the following:

cgi.ebay.com/############
(where ###... is the auction number)

The auction number is usually listed on the middle of the right side - about a 12-digit number.

As with anything ebay-related, this will work until someone at ebay decides to make some "improvements)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ozstamps wrote:The last couple of Windows have had the "Snipping Tool" as part of the toolbar.

Allows me to take superb captures of ANYTHING in seconds. :mrgreen:
About time this info above was repeated.

Most computers out there now DO have this free feature.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

cobbie10 wrote:I cannot copy an image on an Ebay lot unless that image has also been linked to and included in the persons description. When right clicking on any image at the top left of the Ebay lot, the only option I get is to "copy link".
I use Firefox, and get that result also. I discovered that in IE you can right-click to save the eBay image. (Problem is IE runs soooo slow on my computer, so I avoid it whenver I can).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

I also use Firefox, and struck the same problem. I detest IE, so the workaround I use in Firefox is to bring up the page source, find the image in the source, and open it in a separate screen. I can then deal with it in the usual way.

Laborious, but it means I don't have to open IE, log on to a new eBay session, and find the lot etc.
de Selby lives, and will return

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Note that "Snipping tool" can be used just as easily in Firefox as IE - I too dislike IE.

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

For those of us who've stuck with Windows XP, though, not an option.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

For those still using XP, then download this version:
http://xpsnipping.codeplex.com/

My work PC uses XP and this works fine for whole screen or just capture a sectional crop similar to the Vista/7 snipping tool, works fine.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

tonymacg

Post by tonymacg »

PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by PeterS »

Tony, I have a little screen capture program (freeware) that I use when all else fails. It is a simple cut and paste program that allows you to paste to anything, including Paint and Word. It is only 16k in size, so let me know if you want it and I will email it to you.
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

shep1969
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by shep1969 »

interesting, think I'll give Snipping Tool a try. Thanks for the tip!

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

tonymacg wrote:I also use Firefox, and struck the same problem. I detest IE, so the workaround I use in Firefox is to bring up the page source, find the image in the source, and open it in a separate screen. I can then deal with it in the usual way.
Firefox upgraded a little while ago, and the right-click-to-save-a-picture function in eBay works now. 8)
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

norvic

Post by norvic »

aethelwulf wrote:Firefox upgraded a little while ago, and the right-click-to-save-a-picture function in eBay works now. 8)
And the Photobucket plugin works as well, a way of bypassing your computer's HD and still saving images.

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

Well, as someone who has been in strife here, I'm trying to work it out.

The good news is I was able to get an image with & without the snipping tool.

Has anyone got the patience to try & help me with rule no. 4 about the url?
mobbor

Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Easy peasy mobbor, where are you stuck?

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SG-0129-1d-GV-OS-OVPT-Mint-Light-Hinged-/271210921795.

Brummie, I just don't understand about urls. Is the above o.k? Not sure how I did that. Didn't expect it to be highlighted, but if it seems o.k. I'll try to refer to an actual lot I'm interested in.
mobbor

PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by PeterS »

Mobbor, that url is fine. What is you issue?
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Perfect mobbor! :wink:

kchrist499

Post by kchrist499 »

We MAC users (there must be more than just me) don't have a "right click" button.
Can someone enlighten us as to how to post a thread using the (UGH) MAC OSX?

Ken C.

muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by muruk »

I don't use any of the right click functions for screen capture.

Might be slower, but I've used it that often it has become almost automatic:

Print-screen (a keyboard button) -> open Paint (a very basic graphics program) and paste -> save to where I want it in JPG format. I envisage that Mac has equivalents to these.

"Print-screen" doesn't actually print ... it puts a copy of the screen onto your computer's clipboard, from where it can be pasted to almost anywhere.

If necessary, I manipulate the image in Microsoft Office Picture Manager before uploading to my image hosting site. Only takes a few seconds.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

muruk

Post by muruk »

mobbor wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SG-0129-1d-GV-OS-OVPT-Mint-Light-Hinged-/271210921795.

Brummie, I just don't understand about urls. Is the above o.k? Not sure how I did that. Didn't expect it to be highlighted, but if it seems o.k. I'll try to refer to an actual lot I'm interested in.
It is highlighted because the board software automatically attaches a link to anything that looks like a URL. I haven't figured out how to override that yet. It does make discussions like this difficult at times.

Perhaps the "Do not automatically parse URLs" checkbox below the post entry box will do it ... but if so, that's not what parse means.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

Thanks guys for trying to help.

I resurrected the John Bozic thread, but while I could do most things, I couldn't highlight the url, & PeterS recovered the url, & they gave advice too. I seem to have done what you suggested Muruk.

Most of the advice has just made me more confused, but I can live with what is obviously a disability. I can, but the next generations can't.

Regards
mobbor

jad81887
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by jad81887 »

ozsupastore wrote::D Well said, Glen
Link Deleted by Mod

I'm finding it extremely difficult to post, particularly to upload pictures.
If the link above takes anybody to the picture :Upper pane, row 6, column 4, green patch near bush at bottom. Bought at Telopea PO. Any interest in purchase or exchange?

Brummie

Post by Brummie »

norvic

Post by norvic »

kchrist499 wrote:We MAC users (there must be more than just me) don't have a "right click" button.
Ken C.
1. Apple mouse can right click, swipe, double swipe, double-tap and has all sorts of interesting and useful facilities for the iMac.

2. For laptop usage try Ctrl+click (not Cmnd+click). This also works using a mouse on the iMac.

As I often use my wife's laptop without a mouse I find that this works for all situations.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”