CROOKS AND/OR UNETHICAL SELLERS OPERATING ON EBAY

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

ebay_dealer
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

CROOKS AND/OR UNETHICAL SELLERS OPERATING ON EBAY

Post by ebay_dealer »

If you have ever had a bad experience, bought a fake, spotted dishonest forgeries .... name and shame right here so other potential buyers can avoid them ... lets hope they wither and die...

From an honest ebay seller
very friendly ebay seller and buyer

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Been up to my eyes today with stamp orders, but a cut and paste of the half dozen bodgy handles in the other thread would be a good start. :D

I see there is a start on the TEN fake handles we just got banned from ebay selling out and out forgeries here:

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=230
Last edited by admin on 01 May 2007 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

jobi01 wrote:
Why do certain sellers think that BS increases the value of junk?

Because on ebay it often works in their favour - weekly. :shock:

This seller "stampcollectorboz" is no less a dealer than I am.

A fantastic extremely fine used in Grey and Pale Rose Crimson, clean, fresh no faults. SELDOM SEEN WITH THE VARIETY IN SM WMK. SUPERB CANCELLATION BUT ONE PULLED PERF TOP CENTRE There is only one per a pane of 120 stamps, hence it is rare. I can't recollect when was the last one for sale. 2004 BW ACSC CV $850 ( you try and find one). If the dealer had one price would be $1500. THIS ITEM IS BEING RE-OFFERED SUBJECT UNSOLD REFER TO ITEM

This is outright fraud IMHO. The stamp does not have a "pulled perf" - it has an entirely ripped out perf. That is a ugly MAJOR and heavily price reducing defect.

This seller is famous for illustrating stamps with poor perfs and centering on a WHITE background so buyers cannot see how bad they are.

He is a member of no dealer body, and therefore no-one can take remedial action against him for this sort of arrant nonsense. :twisted:

To allege this stamp is retail $1500 is out and out FRAUD. I'd sell it gladly for a couple of $100. NO respected dealer in this country would dare offer this for $500, much less $1,500 is my view. ebay bunnies have it up for $395 with 9 hours to go.

Why - as he imputes "dealers" would ask $1,500. What utter cr*p. And what cr*p to impute he himself is not a dealer.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

jobi01
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by jobi01 »

Because on ebay it often works in their favour - weekly.
Very punny, Glenn
Bill Lehr - JOBI Philatelic Services
specializing in US postal stationery -

lanna
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by lanna »

GlenStephens wrote:

This is outright fraud IMHO. The stamp does not have a "pulled perf" - it has an entirely ripped out perf. That is a ugly MAJOR and heavily price reducing defect.

This seller is famous for illustrating stamps with poor perfs and centering on a WHITE background so buyers cannot see how bad they are.
Sure looks different on a BLACK background

ImageImage

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

Wow .. THAT is clever .. how on earth do you do that? :D

Well I hope someone emails that clueless buyer whitmona who proudly paid $565 for this highly defective stamp.

stampcollectorboz claims in writing he gladly refunds on all mis-described lots, so I am sure he'll pay up on this turkey, now the buyer can actually see thru his long standing trick of illustrating bad centering an perfs on a white background. :shock:

whitmona seems pretty un-knowledgeable, possibly with FAR more money than sense, as he/she just bought a forged set of BCOF overprints with forged cancels for $170 from joanne620 who is about the largest con on Australian ebay:

Mod - Dead link deleted

If he/she offered these $735 of second grade material to a large dealer he/she MIGHT get a third what was paid, or lose a cool $500 on 2 x ebay lots. I wish those folks would find their way to this board FIRST. :idea:

And folks wonder why real dealers get hot under the collar about the nonsense that passes as quality on ebay.
Last edited by admin on 25 Apr 2007 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

lanna

Post by lanna »

admin wrote:Wow .. THAT is clever .. how on earth do you do that? :D
piece of cake and quick too :wink:

will email details directly shortly

regards
lanna

jobi01

Post by jobi01 »

My pet peeve lot on eBay today included misdescribed color and misdescribed paper. When these sort of conditions exist I contact the seller and tell them what I see and ask if it is the wrong picture.

Today's seller apologized and withdrew the lot stating that they were merely following the identifications on the stamps from an estate lot.

May sound good but how can anyone (not color blind) confuse carmen with red brown?

ghopper02
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by ghopper02 »

jobi01 wrote:New, today on eBay

Mod - Dead link deleted

A common Forgery misrepresented as a paper variety by a dealer with the bad habit of removing their pictures on the day they mail the lot out. Also priced at 4X retail value for this type of forgery.
Yep - Whatever the reason (ignorance or intentional deception) I've sworn off this seller after a couple small buys.
Not a great deal of pain - there's just a lot better sellers out there!!!

The seller (in case the link dies) - rubystamps

-Doug

ghopper02

Post by ghopper02 »

Here's another seller I don't do business with. They offer a lot of old stuff - US, Aussie, Germany, etc. Most lots started at 1c. BUT $3.49 for shipping!!!

Back when I bid their username was "martha..." now changed to "stampgum225". Lots of feedback and >99% positive - HOW?

Check this auction out - not a great stamp & definitely not an "Early German State" :?

Mod - Dead link deleted

And people bid on this stuff!

Enough from me - you guys hit my other "bad" seller earlier - thought I'd follow it up with the other one.

Doug

RickStead

Post by RickStead »

Yet many of these dealers have tons of feedback and >99% positive! Go figger, I guess it's like Yogi Berra said "If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them."

jobi01

Post by jobi01 »

stampbum, sorry, gum, has an interesting shipping policy at $3.49 for the first item and $0.50 for each additional item up to 10 then the fee starts over at $3.49. What, are there only 10 stamps to an ounce?

jobi01

Post by jobi01 »

Stand Watie cards update:

The seller has finally responded to my queries with a simple "thank you". How much money does eBay make on this $100.00 starting bid? For a single card listed at $0.75.

waroff49
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by waroff49 »

Changing a user name doesn't necessarily mean something evil. I had to change mine because when I tried to do direct deposits from Credit Union to other banks it would only allow a set number of characters and warrantofficer49 was too long hence waroff49 which just fits.

It makes you think though when they go from a small to a large login name. We all try to cut down on typing when we can.
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Great to see SCADS has seen our board here and updated their authoritative ebay con-men site - www.scads.org - by drawing on the info we have posted.

I stress up front, I have nothing to do with SCADS, but they have taken the info we reported here, checked it out, and added their own research notes to it, such as the Mighty Collectables handle that I have not seen before.

This is their latest update off their much visited USA based website:

http://www.scads.org/shame/shame.htm

As you can see from their long list of past fraudsters uncovered,, TEN fake ebay stamp forger ID's traced to one person is apparently unheard of on the ebay stamp world - anywhere.

Many thanks to all those members here who kept the threads updated, and to the Melbourne dealers who worked with our info at their end, and for coming up with new names as they did like nswstamp who I was able to report here, and have him nabbed and banned along with all the other fakers.

=================

Hall of Shame

1. Sellers of questionable, misdescribed or poorly described items

Seller ID Comments

bexapunk101 Alternate selling and shill-bidding ID of wynstoninvest (see below), based in Fremantle, Western Australia

joanne620 Australian seller, consistently overdescribes and overvalues classic Australian stamps including regummed stamps not described as such, uses digital camera for all images, sold re-perforated and regummed high-value Australian stamps in private auctions using private feedback in early 2006 (see feedback comments for May 2006)

2. Questionable sellers suspended from eBay

Date Suspended - all April 2007 - Seller ID Comments

aussiestampsales Old ID resurrected as buying ID for wynstoninvest, active in Apr 2007

nswstamp Old ID resurrected as selling ID of wynstoninvest, uses the name David, offered fake perforated large and small OS perforated Australian stamps, active in Apr 2007, based in south-west Sydney

gregbear_61 Short-lived alternate selling ID of george0mighty (not to be confused with ID "gregbear61" whose ID he was emulating)

aw1940 New name of old ID resurrected as buying and shill-bidding ID of wynstoninvest, active under changed name since Mar 2007

indepbrokers Alternate buying, selling and shill-bidding ID of wynstoninvest, active since Dec 2006, based in Mt Warrigal, NSW

george0mighty Alternate buying, selling and shill-bidding ID of wynstoninvest, active since Jan 2007, traded as Mighty Collectables, based in south-west Sydney

stampbuyers Old ID resurrected as shill-bidding ID on auctions of modlink2002

modlink2002 Old ID resurrected as selling ID of wynstoninvest, active in Apr 2007, based in Brisbane, QLD

wynstoninvest Produced forged postmarks of Australia, Papua, New Guinea, PNG and Great Britain, forged OS (large & small) and OS NSW punctures, forged NZ Stars errors, BCOF forged overprints in black or gold or red to order, and other overprints and cancels of other South Pacific countries, uses sophisticated overprinting equipment, uses the name Stephen, active since Jan 2007, based in south-west Sydney

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Hi Glen,

It was me that told SCADS about the board and the various IDs our forging friend was using.

Hopefully they will continue to keep an eye on things here.

The Pom

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Good to hear a lot of eyes are on these folks! :idea:

I emailed Sheryl about it weeks back, as i imagine did board member here Simon Dunkerely, so I am sure they had a lot of input. :)

I hope you report bexapunk101 - ebay seem to have overlooked him, despite the obvious fake offerings and shill bidding links to the others. :shock:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

The £1 overprint appears to me to be a very poor forgery. Even on this cruddy photo he gives, the black ink of that is several shades darker than the 10/-, which of course have never been forged. It looks like it has only be overprinted recently. My goodness .. could THAT be possible? :shock:

The ACCC will charge you in a heartbeat for operating without an investment license posting fictional RUBBISH like this:

THIS PAIR ARE A FANTASTIC ""INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY"" WITH EVERYTHING GOING FOR IT,RARITY,FRESHNESS AND PRISTINE CENTRING.

It will not be much of an "investment" when the buyer for $750 or whatever it goes for shows it to a legitimate dealer and gets offered $50 for it. :twisted:

And as for the alleged 'freshness', Joe the idiot can see it has yellowed gum - off his own scan:

So in the real world they'd sell for about $100 as fakes.

What do we see ...... still 4 days to go and the usual ebay CRETIN ARMY have them bid up to $450. Where do these crooks find such dopey bunnies? They must hypnotise them each time.

I hope members here all email him and ask if before they place a bid does he:

GUARANTEE they are not fakes, which are everywhere, and in view of that, ask what steps has he taken to check their genuineness - especially seeing he himself is listed (again)) on the https://www.SCADS.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site under "Hall of Shame" - as a "Seller of questionable, misdescribed or poorly described items" - as has been de-listed by ebay in the past for just such sales.

And does he have an ACCC Investment license to state (twice) they are an "investment" and does he offer any guarantee they will rise in value over his selling prices, as of course all investments should do.

If those emails are not posted and answered in a day or so on the auction item, ebay should pull the lot from sale. ebay can see his inbox. :idea:

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

This same con-man joanne620 had a mint Decimal collection for sale a couple of weeks back in Seven Seas Albums. Lot 200088146918

Nothing odd about that - I have a dozen in my premises right now, and usually do. Most dealers have a few around at any given time. They sell for a few $100 each .. up to a $1000 or so if up to date.

This crook stated in his lot description the stamps and albums had a retail of $A8,800. They only went to about year 2000. The President of APTA and I looked at all the pages of scans, and both agreed it was a standard decimal collection .. nothing more, nothing less.

Was the bidding a few $100? Nope - as this crook has TYPED that retail was "$8,800" an army of ebay bunnies were bidding like mad on this very common material, and with a day or so to run was already up to $2,250. Simon Dunkerley and Michael Eastick can both confirm this mad figure. :shock: :shock:

ebay were contacted, offered hard evidence of what REAL retail was for this lot (a small fraction of what he stated) and ebay cancelled the auction - 200088146918

Like the "$1,500" fiction posted above from stampcollectorboz on the £2 roo that sold for $565 with the missing chunk. Disguised as always by his deceptive illustration, it seems ebay has enough idiots to believe anything, if someone is game enough to lie about actual retail and type it into an ebay lot write up.

These things hurt all real stamps dealers and all real collectors. And the hobby.

The bunnies buying this over priced junk are disillusioned when they offer it to sale to real dealers, get told is is worth a fraction of what they paid, and never buy stamps again. Bad for all of us. :(

I do not have an issue with anyone selling things on ebay described accurately and fairly. These sellers above have been around for years selling stamps, and both know better, and both know what they are doing.

Which is deliberately lying about the alleged "retail" price in order to extract far more bidding from the Bunny Army than the stamps warrant.

In the past sellers got away with it. Now a lot of sets of eyes are watching their listings, who are NOT bunnies. This board saw 10 cons wiped in a month and hopefully future cons will suffer the same fate.

This new and dopey ebay system where any lot gets to more than a few $100 you can't see bidder handles to politely alert them plays perfectly into the hands of anyone using a network of fake shill bidders and fake names, as the george0mighty octopus above showed us clearly.

I hope all pressure possible is bought to bear for local based ebay stamp sellers of expensive material to clean up their act, or catch the next stagecoach out of town. :idea:

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

I would like to make it clear that I have NO desire to persecute the innocent, and that I am not an expert. However, I have a funny feeling about a few items offered by luojs2000, for instance these OS overprints don't look too clever to my eye:

The 2d Looks OK, but the 3d is distinctly iffy.

Mod - Dead link deleted

Any thoughts?

The Pom

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Well I compared the ebay scan to my genuine (CTO) 3d, and my other OS O/Ps, and the one on ebay is just plain wrong. The "O" on the 3d Blue looks like it came from a kids printing set, and is absolutely nothing like the real thing. The 2d looks OK though.

Norm

Kevin Morgan

Post by Kevin Morgan »

I now refuse to sell to this guy, he always wants a hefty discount for second rate material, which we have already priced to sell, and then we know it is going to appear on eBay at 3 x the price.

Joanne (Anthony) same deal, except he has bought from our auctions and legally I cannot refuse his bids.
FREE sample copy of Stamp News Australasia available on request to all Stampboards members!
Also don't forget to checkout our websites at http://www.kevinmorgan.com.au

ebay_dealer

Post by ebay_dealer »

Is this Joanne (Anthony) bloke/girl some sort of cross dresser or gender change person. It is just that the descriptions change, from your auction (accurate) and onto ebay (elaboorate)..just a thought

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Someone advised me this is from one of Joanne920's current ebay AUCTIONS. I simply am unable to confirm that, although I must say, the writing style DOES seems similar. :wink:

=================

Image link inactive. Removed

***SUPERB** INVEST MENT *** ***NEVER SEEN SO HOT AS THIS**** DEALERPRICE $40,000******

FOLKS,YOUR GOT TO GO FOR THIS BEWTIE.IT HAS GOT THE LOT.PERFECT CENTERED,AND SUPERB PERFS.LIGHTCANCLE,YOU CANHARDLEE SEE.AND TOP CONDITION.ITIS ON BLUE PAPER.IT RELALY IS.I THINK.WHO CARES.CLEANA DN FRESH APART FROM THE TONING ALL OVERWHICH IS HARD TO FIND..

NONOE OF YOU BRAINDDED BUNIES WOULD HAVEA CLUE ANYWAY.THE DEALER IF THE HAD IT WOULD WANT $40,000 AT LEAST.I NEVA SAW ONE SO GUD.****INVESTMENT****GRADE TO MATCH MY OTHER OFERINGS.CATALOG MUST BE £500,000 ATLEASE.MAYB MORE.

=====================

lanna

Post by lanna »

ebay_dealer wrote:Is this Joanne (Anthony) bloke/girl some sort of cross dresser or gender change person.
Bloke and a "DEBAUCHED STAMP COLLECTOR" according to this

http://members.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=joanne620

lanna

Post by lanna »

GlenStephens wrote:Someone advised me this is from one of Joanne920's current ebay AUCTIONS. I simply am unable to confirm that, although I must say, the writing style DOES seems similar.
Sounds bit like a wind-up

Dun no if et reel. Wots der eyetem numba? :D :D :D

scurralous

Post by scurralous »

I can't find it in his/her/its current listings...

It must surely be a huge wind up albeit a very, very amusing one...

Wot is teh itum numbor?

I don't mind getting an unpaid item strike for giving someone a little bit of harassment...

ebay_dealer

Post by ebay_dealer »

folks, I took the buy-it-now option at just $40,000 as soon as Glen advised me of such a bargain.

Phew it looks like all of you were after it as well!!! just goes to show the early bird gets the worm

scurralous

Post by scurralous »

I've often wondered if that "Early Bird" actually swallows said "Worm" - But there Ya Go!!!

Good on ya Jeremy
:lol:

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

ebay_dealer wrote:
folks, I took the buy-it-now option at just $40,000 as soon as Glen advised me of such a bargain.

Phew it looks like all of you were after it as well!!! just goes to show the early bird gets the worm
And don't forget to ask to combine shipping. There are some **BEUTIFUL*** re-gummed Roos and fake BCOF overprints you can add in to that order if you are FAST. Ya have to watch these folks. ;)

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

GlenStephens wrote:And don't forget to ask to combine shipping. There are some **BEUTIFUL*** re-gummed Roos and fake BCOF overprints you can add in to that order if you are FAST. Ya have to watch these folks. ;)
Glen, I have a humungous bridge for sale not far from where you are, (pick up only I am afraid). The scrap metal content alone should cover the cost. To stop shill bidders, I will only discuss the contract privately by e-mail or phone. :)

And I will throw in a genuine VFU 5/- Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp reprint. (Which I have seen sold at rather large prices on e-bay, for what they are)

You can combine the bridge purchase with my Opera House sale, if you like. They would make a great looking joined pair.

Norm

scurralous

Post by scurralous »

VFU 5/- Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp reprint.
Does this stamp by any chance also depict the Opera House ?

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

scurralous wrote:
VFU 5/- Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp reprint.
Does this stamp by any chance also depict the Opera House ?
If you would like it to, it could be arranged. :twisted: :wink:

Norm

ebay_dealer

Post by ebay_dealer »

Am I missing out on another great HONEST deal?

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

ebay_dealer wrote:
Am I missing out on another great HONEST deal?
Yep, go for the extras - for an extra $3.00 by paypal the fake 5/- Bridge can be supplied overprinted OS. :shock:

ebay_dealer

Post by ebay_dealer »

I hope it is one of those genuine fakes, I don't like those dodgy fakes. Only the best for my collection.

scurralous

Post by scurralous »

I can sell ya one with the RMS Orford being overtaken by a bloke on a Jet Ski (they're rare & definitely investment material) ...

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

ebay_dealer wrote:
I hope it is one of those genuine fakes, I don't like those dodgy fakes. Only the best for my collection.
He/she guarantees that it is.

That cast iron guarantee is hand written on the back on a soggy drink coaster. :D

scurralous

Post by scurralous »

Well that's at least something - those coasters might be worth something in years to come...

SimonDunkerley

Post by SimonDunkerley »

A few comments from the above thread ...

(1) I have been in contact with Sheryll (of SCADS) since early last year - refer to my comments on lther eBay threads ... see my articles on eBay and expertising in the section on my website here ...

http://www.simondunkerley.com/expertising.html

(2) It's joanne620 not 920 ... and she is a he!

(3) The 3d Kingsford Smith OS above is fake in my view. Fake mint sets tend to sell for around $50 at auction, so the buyer of that set has done most of his/her money!

(4) Kevin - I believe that as an auctioneer you have the choice as to whether to accept or decline any or all bids from an individual or business or organisation at your discretion ... many professional auction catalogues have such a clause in their conditions of sale ... worth checking out.

Simon Dunkerley
Last edited by SimonDunkerley on 17 May 2007 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

PennyBlack1840

Post by PennyBlack1840 »

Check out eBay seller 'gimenei' selling 'FAKE' GB decimal booklets for postage.

Post Office Investigations Department (P.O.I.D.)in UK are on the case, but take care with any GB '1st class' gold booklets offered too cheap. The sellers feedback has full details

Hopefully another SCAMMER bites the dust as the POID always prosecute and have been very succesful in the past!

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

EX ebay seller you mean!

Check out this feedback!

http://myworld.ebay.com/gimenei/

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

PennyBlack1840 wrote:take care with any GB '1st class' gold booklets offered too cheap.
Be worth grabbing a few before it's too late...

...they'll be worth far more than genuine in a few years (not withstanding the moral element to this...)

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

I was the main outlet for the forged GB brown machins many years ago when they turned up.

The UK dealers did not dare touch them for quite a while under the "forged stamps act" deal, so I sold heaps from here - BACK to UK collectors. ;)

ghopper02

Post by ghopper02 »

Now that was quick!

scurralous

Post by scurralous »

I was the main outlet for the forged GB brown machins many years ago when they turned up.
What price are these commanding at the moment? As someone pointed - out these will be worth having in time to come...

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

Re the Machin, not even sure what face value it was now as it was 10-15 years back. It was dark brown, I recall that much!

I sold them at the time for about $25-$30 as I recall.

PennyBlack1840

Post by PennyBlack1840 »

This is a different item!

The item being forged is the 1st class Gold elliptical perforation stamp

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

And yet another from Joanne620:

Mod - Dead link deleted

MUH 2d and 3d MUH Kingsford Smith OS overprints.

To my somewhat untrained eye, the "O" on the 3d looks very suspicious' especially the inside part of the "O" external right hand side. It seems to have a narrowing part about half way down.

Or maybe I am simply wrong.

Norm.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

This must be set number TEN of these same K/S "OS" I have seen this crook offer. Seeing the idiots on ebay typically bid $700 a set for them that is about $7,000 of fakes peddled in one set alone. :shock:

"THESE ARE PERFECT INVESTMENT PHILATETIC ITEMS" - as Simon and I have posted here before, one needs to a licensed ASIC entity to push anything in Oz as an "investment".

I'd pay only $20 for these obvious fakes - so hardly an "Investment".

Overprint is FAR too heavy (see top top of S nearly touching body of letter) and the centre of the "O" looks wrong on these ebay fakes below.

Last edited by GlenStephens on 16 May 2007 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”