CROOKS AND/OR UNETHICAL SELLERS OPERATING ON EBAY

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

chrisclifford
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: CROOKS AND/OR UNETHICAL SELLERS OPERATING ON EBAY

Post by chrisclifford »

MJ's pet wrote:
07 Jul 2021 18:38

This is not a Greek Forger George Nassar lot. It is on ebay UK so I'll put it here.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184918369120

Tasmania 1853-55 4d Orange imperf. The postmark is not described but what shows is Barred Numeral 72 of Norfolk Island which is super rare.

Currently at 104 quid with 3+ days to go. It is worth many times that, if genuine. 8-)

Obviously can't inspect this, but it looks like a cut-out from an old old catalogue and backed onto card. The orange ink looks off in colour and appearance. The front and back of the unprinted parts of the stamp are totally different colours which is a dead giveaway. Looks like a reproduction.

ImageImage

seller cwm-pennant has only 65 feedbacks, unusual for someone selling a rare item. Member since only: 22-Apr-21 in United Kingdom. Feedback score is 98.5% :?

The negative feedback is in German: Ich hatte Ihnen mitgeteilt das ich vom Kauf zurücktreten werde. Translates as: I had informed you that I would withdraw from the purchase.

Started at only £20. Bids not private.

Hello from the U.K.,
I’m a few days late in finding this article.

A few thoughts. I have tracked Norfolk Island 72 cancellations since the 1990s and I have not seen this before.

The provided scan of the stamp is really quite poor so it is difficult to comment on the stamps colour. However, the 72 cancellation is known on the 4d stamps, as either Bright Red-Orange, Bright Orange, or Red-Orange.

I have requested from the seller a better scan.

Whatever the outcome it’s good to see Norfolk Island being discussed.

Chris

chrisclifford

Post by chrisclifford »

Just had a response for my request for a scan:

‘Sorry its gone’.

Which I assume means the stamp has been sold.

So, was someone lucky or unlucky?

Chris

CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

It was relisted on 10 July as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184934330377 and sold the same day for £5.

184934330377-list-sh.JPG
184934330377-bid.JPG

From the buyer's feedback, it looks like it was offered to the high bidder on the previous listing

184918369120-bids.JPG

Chris.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”