Warning re buying from www.greatbritainstamps.net

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Warning re buying from www.greatbritainstamps.net

Post by Machaggis52 »

I recently placed an order for stock books from Great Britain Stamps http://www.greatbritainstamps.net/.

When a week had passed with no delivery, I E-mailed. It took them two days to reply, and when they did, they claimed that their courier had made two attempts to deliver, and had left a card each time.

There were no cards, furthermore, when we were out, a notice was taped to the door, giving a near neighbour as the delivery point.

When I informed them, they were considerably less than helpful, taking the word of their non-delivering courier over mine.

Needless to say, I won't be buying from them again, and a 'heads up' for others contemplating buying from them. If the courier doesn't deliver, don't expect help from this company.
With kind regards, Jim

fchd
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Warning re buying from www.greatbritainstamps.net

Post by fchd »

In the interests of balance, I've ordered from them a number of times and never had a problem.

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

fchd wrote:In the interests of balance, I've ordered from them a number of times and never had a problem.
Have you ordered something they would post out, or something delivered by courier?
With kind regards, Jim

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

1. Swan Stamps (the dealer behind the website) has been around for many years (30 according to the website) operating from south Devon.

2. Their T&C do not comply with the [EU] distance selling regulations - which, amongst other things, allow you to change your mind and return goods in saleable condition at your own expense.

3. The courier should have been using a tracking service and they should have given you a tracking number. However, as their T&C includes "Please note City Link Courier Service excludes Northern Ireland,......" and as City Link went to the wall before last Christmas, there's no indication of who they are using.

4. Phone them again telling them that you want the goods delivered, and you want the courier to phone you before delivery. Ask for a tracking number - that will be interesting. OR
Phone them and say that you are exercising your right to cancel under Distance Selling Regulations 2014 and ask for your money back. That will be even more interesting.
Cooling-off period for goods

Your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and doesn't end until 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

As this 14 day period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, the seller can’t say that you must have returned the goods within this time frame.

There are some orders where you won't have the right to cancel.

These include items that are bespoke or personalised, goods likely to deteriorate rapidly, CDs, DVDs and computer software where the seal is broken.

You also don't have a right to cancel goods that have a seal for health protection and hygiene reasons where the seal is broken.
(At the risk of sending the thread off-topic, Distance Selling was an unknown term before the DSRs were introduced by EU-based legislation, another consumer benefit from the EU.]
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

norvic wrote:
(At the risk of sending the thread off-topic, Distance Selling was an unknown term before the DSRs were introduced by EU-based legislation, another consumer benefit from the EU.]
With the recent Brexit vote do any of these wacko EU rules have any real legal relevance for UK businesses?
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

JonEboy
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by JonEboy »

Global Administrator wrote:
norvic wrote:
With the recent Brexit vote do any of these wacko EU rules have any real legal relevance for UK businesses?
Yup. They are still the law of the land until and unless we actually leave the EU and re write the laws. This may take some time..... :shock:

Again as a balance, I too have ordered quite a bit from Swan over the years and found them to be absolutely fine.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk

norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote:
I don't know why you think that consumer protection is 'wacko'. True this particular aspect is a bit weird but the trader doesn't lose any money over it. DRS ensures, as we have mentioned before, that traders are obliged to supply or refund even when the goods get lost. A contract is a contract and both buyer and seller are the better for the rights we have.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

gugusg
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by gugusg »

norvic wrote:
UK is still in the EU, because article 50 has not been activated yet.

So yes it applies :)
My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Well, they have refunded, less the courier fee of course, an 'A-' on that.

Just relieved to get (most) of my cash back.

What rankles most is they sent an E-mail of the courier's 'report', which showed two attempted deliveries, and two cards left. The 'cards left' claim shows remarkable similarity to the steaming heaps left behind a herd of male bovines. One would have thought that it was fairly obvious that I wanted the stock books, why would I ignore the courier's card?

One cannot ignore something that doesn't exist.

You don't generate goodwill, by favouring an employee over the customer.
With kind regards, Jim

norvic

Post by norvic »

Like I said, you were entitled to all your money back - the full amount you paid, because they failed to deliver.

The courier quite likely tried to deliver to a wrong address - twice. Did you ever find out which courier they use?

Clive
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Clive »

Norvic wrote:
Like I said, you were entitled to all your money back - the full amount you paid, because they failed to deliver.
Quite right, Ian, and the same holds true here in Australia.

Although many sellers seem to be in denial, the responsibility for ensuring that an item actually gets to the buyer sits with the merchant.

Can't be sure, but I think this may, at least to some extent, be reflected in eBay/PayPal 'buyer protection' policies regarding refunds for goods claimed not to have been received.

Clive

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

norvic wrote:Like I said, you were entitled to all your money back - the full amount you paid, because they failed to deliver.

The courier quite likely tried to deliver to a wrong address - twice. Did you ever find out which courier they use?

No, the attachment didn't name the courier.

I think, rather than just eating the cost, I will E-mail them reminding them of the Distance Selling Regulations.
With kind regards, Jim

malcolm197

Post by malcolm197 »

Why does everyone assume that exiting the EU will automatically mean that all EU laws will be repealed?

Legislation which is generally beneficial will almost certainly be retained. Legislation which is deemed to be superfluous or counter-productive will be repealed. The only conflict will be the bits in the middle.

As far as I am aware until a specific law is changed after exit, all laws brought in during the period of our membership will stay on the statute book as UK law. Therefore there is no reason why the distance selling law will not remain. It is almost certain also that EU law will be required by the EU to remain in force when selling to countries within the EU, and it would be unwise for the UK negotiators to try to compromise this.Only purely domestic matters or trade with countries outside the EU will (may?) be subject to change.

In todays climate I would suggest that there is unlikely to be any change in laws governing consumer protection. The only point at issue is that new laws promulgated by the EU after exit will not apply, and there may be some delay before similar laws are passed in the UK if they are deemed to be beneficial.

Malcolm

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

malcolm197 wrote:Why does everyone assume that exiting the EU will automatically mean that all EU laws will be repealed?

Legislation which is generally beneficial will almost certainly be retained. Legislation which is deemed to be superfluous or counter-productive will be repealed. The only conflict will be the bits in the middle.

As far as I am aware until a specific law is changed after exit, all laws brought in during the period of our membership will stay on the statute book as UK law. Therefore there is no reason why the distance selling law will not remain. It is almost certain also that EU law will be required by the EU to remain in force when selling to countries within the EU, and it would be unwise for the UK negotiators to try to compromise this.Only purely domestic matters or trade with countries outside the EU will (may?) be subject to change.

In todays climate I would suggest that there is unlikely to be any change in laws governing consumer protection. The only point at issue is that new laws promulgated by the EU after exit will not apply, and there may be some delay before similar laws are passed in the UK if they are deemed to be beneficial.

Malcolm
I predict that we will end up pretty much as now. Free movement of goods, services and people. Having to comply with EU legislation for manufactured items. We will have to pay, like Norway for access. So, all as before, but no seat at the table.

What a ballsup.
With kind regards, Jim

stampanthony
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by stampanthony »

I have come across loads of bad stamp dealers in my years in collecting 40 years especially when selling to them you get peanuts even when they are in the PTS etc. you have to shop around and stick to ones you know are good like in all shopping a shame really as I like to think of stamp collecting as an honourable pastime

stampanthony

Post by stampanthony »

Also regarding the EU it has done only bad things for the countries in it look at Italy Greece Us Spain Portugal and all bad stuff comes every day and money goes missing from it faster than my ex wife can spend we will as stamp collectors carry on as we are and love it take your eyes off the stamps and you will always lose out

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Anthony .. to the right of the "M" key on your keyboard there are 2 other little keys.

One makes "," and the other makes "."

There are both used often in written English - except in the last 4 posts of yours I have read here today.

Try them both out - they are fun, and oddly make posts easily to read at the same time, and create cool things called "sentences".

Tradition has it that the "." one also gets used at the end of each sentence too.

Thanks. :lol:

Admin

stampingpaws
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by stampingpaws »

Not forgetting : ; and ! and ? and even ( and ).

These punctuation marks definitely make the posts so much easier to read.

Best wishes
Robert

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

GlenStephens wrote:Anthony .. to the right of the "M" key on your keyboard there are 2 other little keys.

One makes "," and the other makes "."
Perhaps the EU denied them admission to Anthony's keyboard. :wink:

locakart
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by locakart »

stampanthony wrote:Also regarding the EU it has done only bad things for the countries in it look at Italy Greece Us Spain Portugal and all bad stuff comes every day and money goes missing from it faster than my ex wife can spend we will as stamp collectors carry on as we are and love it take your eyes off the stamps and you will always lose out
Why can the defenders of our values who have won our country back from the evil empire of the EU seemingly never write in grammatical English?
You may not be interested in strategy, but strategy is interested in you

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Brexit ruined the Oxford English Dictionary,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E55lG3ZV0EQ
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

GlenStephens wrote:Try them both out - they are fun, and oddly make posts easily to read at the same time, and create cool things called "sentences".
Aussies teaching English? Gawd help us all!

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”