eBay seller "nystamps": some VERY dodgy listing practices

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: eBay seller "nystamps": some VERY dodgy listing practice

Post by Global Administrator »

capetriangle wrote:
Now in your enlarged image what appears as a dark line may a pencil line showing through from the face as I suggest.
And the moon MAY be made of green cheese.

Ask your faker ebay buddy nystamps to send you a better image I suggest. Or pop over at lunchtime to have a look close up. Or suggest he quickly gets his much used bottle of Liquid Paper onto this dog as well as the other 100s of stamps he offers that you also cannot see.

I'll bet my house on the undescribed TEAR. Invisible to all except you and he.

It is the only "pencil mark" on earth that totally permeates 1mm of solid paper. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

To all other members with 20/20 vision, please report this faker AGAIN.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

capetriangle
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by capetriangle »

Global Administrator
And the moon MAY be made of green cheese.
I have told you many times, the moon is made of American cheese.

Kindest regards

Richard

Certified
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Certified »

Richard, You might be the only person that nystamps would be willing to listen to regarding his listing practices.
Would you be willing?

Here is current listing that would be of interest to you:

Item #352018177923
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-GB-Great-Britain-Stamp-2-Used-500-/352018177923

When I first saw this stamp, I noticed the tear on the lower margin. I saw the stain, but did not see the vertical crease through the Queen's cheek - somehow it was camouflaged by the cancel, I suppose.

The reverse image was the typical poor quality, low resolution - appearing to have a clean look about it:

That is, until I enlarged the scan, and a whole nest of faults were observed:

The usual repair over the rip, and the crease were now clearly visible.

As potential buyers, we want to be told these things.

In the USA, the average age of a stamp collector is 65. We are not as computer literate as we could be or will ever be.

Many of us take up stamp collecting as a retirement hobby. We have some retirement funds set aside for activities that might stimulate our minds in our retirement years.

We do not have the advantage of 40 years of philatelic experience, so we do need help.

We do not want sellers to disguise from us the true condition of the stamps on offer.

We do not want to be duped into buying something that leaves all the guess work up to us. We are just not informed enough, nor is it a knowledge that comes quickly and easily.

We want a safe environment to pursue our hobby, and when we die, we don't want to leave our children a collection that cost us $10,000 - only for our children to be later told by a dealer that it is worth $500, that it was littered with doctored stamps, and that their father/mother was not careful about how much he/she paid for the stamps originally.

If this thread does nothing other than alert us to certain practices being performed by certain ebay sellers, then it is well worth every effort.

Certified

Post by Certified »

GB and Canada were particularly targeted this week:

Item #311836356131
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-GB-Great-Britain-Stamp-3-4-Used-109-/311836356131

You would think you are bidding on two stamps here, and that is true. In reality, you are bidding on 1 & 1/4 stamps.

What you don't see in the low resolution scan of the reverse is the usual paper paste associated with this seller (scan enlarged):

Then we have this - another poor reverse scan (enlarged):
Item #352018182454
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-GB-Great-Britain-Stamp-10-Used-90-/352018182454

All is not what you think or are led to believe.
You get a paper paste product with a reperforated lower margin (if I am not mistaken).

Here is another paper paste product - a little more obvious to some this time (reverse scan enlarged):
Item #382023186278
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamps-GB-Great-Britain-Stamp-1-Used-350-Plate-8-/382023186278

Certified

Post by Certified »

This listing ends in a day; I include it to test how good we are at spotting a doctored stamp.

If we cannot spot the problems, we will be taken by this seller.

The size of the images are as you would see from the listing:
item #382019217492
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamp-US-Stamp-313-Used-750-/382019217492

Anyone want to take a shot at it?

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

Certified

In my opinion this is not a #313 at all, rather a #480 reperforated 12 on all four sides.

The #313 is a 1903 stamp, $5.00 dark green on double lined watermarked paper, perforated 12. It is a distinctive shade.

The #480 is a 1917 stamp, $5.00 light green on unwatermarked paper, perforated 10. It is also a distinctive shade, it is a much larger stamp than the #313 and the paper is more "meshy."

Since I can see no evidence of a watermark from the reverse scan, the stamp being the wrong color and the paper appearing more "meshy," I have to conclude that the stamp offered as a #313 was once a #480.

For examples of both shades check The Philatelic Foundation website under Certificate Search.

Now it is always dangerous to give an opinion without examining the stamp but sadly I am fairly confident with this one in this case.

Kindest regards

Richard

Certified

Post by Certified »

Anyone else spot anything?
Hint...There is more, but it is cleverly disguised.

gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Either a diagonal crease or tear top right (5th perf. down). :idea:

Certified

Post by Certified »

gavin-h wrote:Either a diagonal crease or tear top right (5th perf. down). :idea:
Yes, if you are looking at the reverse.

Likely a filled tear. The reverse scan is too small to see with unaided help, so here are the enlargements:

The yellow enclosure looks to be where the filled tear is. Not sure what is going on in the orange area - maybe the edge of the repair.
Last edited by Certified on 03 Apr 2017 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Certified

Post by Certified »

capetriangle wrote:Certified

In my opinion this is not a #313 at all, rather a #480 reperforated 12 on all four sides.

The #313 is a 1903 stamp, $5.00 dark green on double lined watermarked paper, perforated 12. It is a distinctive shade.

The #480 is a 1917 stamp, $5.00 light green on unwatermarked paper, perforated 10. It is also a distinctive shade, it is a much larger stamp than the #313 and the paper is more "meshy."

Since I can see no evidence of a watermark from the reverse scan, the stamp being the wrong color and the paper appearing more "meshy," I have to conclude that the stamp offered as a #313 was once a #480.

For examples of both shades check The Philatelic Foundation website under Certificate Search.

Now it is always dangerous to give an opinion without examining the stamp but sadly I am fairly confident with this one in this case.

Kindest regards

Richard
Thanks, Richard, an excellent assessment and I believe you are right on.
My appreciation of you has just gone up a notch.
capetriangle wrote: I have to conclude that the stamp offered as a #313 was once a #480.
Welcome to NYSTAMPS INC!

And we are going to get into the manipulation of perforations to manufacture more valuable "replacements" - of which there are an inordinate number in nystamps listings, both currently and historically. We don't have to look far.

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Do reperfs regularly appear in nystamps' listings, or are the Canada and USA examples shown in this thread the only instances known?

Although I don't regard applying the so-called "liquid paper" to be fraud, reperfing and regumming stamps is another matter.

phrag99 wrote:I've been wondering how many of the stampboarders who are satisfied with their purchases from nystamps have been duped?
I'm still satisfied with the few times I purchased from nystamps, although I never bought any single stamps from him. I was particularly pleased once when I got a British 1879 £1 telegraph stamp in a mixed lot.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

HalfpennyYellow wrote:
Although I don't regard applying the so-called "liquid paper" to be fraud, reperfing and regumming stamps is another matter.
The world can thank its lucky stars you are not a dealer. :idea:

Deliberately covering up large thins and tears with amateur Liquid Paper running repairs, as your FRAUDSTER hero nystamps does daily, is perfectly FINE with you, and not telling the ebay bunny buyers of that ruined junk they are being ripped off, and applauding such sellers who knowingly and repeatedly breach ebay rules is also absolutely FINE with you - but regumming is not.

Your Moral Compass is so out of whack, we would not have a hobby, if everyone's view was so weird. Luckily for philately, you are the only person on this thread that thinks this way.

99% of collectors can not pick a good German regum if it jumped up and bit them on the derriere. You certainly would have zero idea, and YOU certainly have regums in your collection that you have no idea about (despite saying they are 'naughty'!) but applaud crudely patching up thins and tears, and not disclosing that to the clueless ebay buyers. "Monty Python Stamps" - there's a great name for your business. "Repairs and Rebuilding stamps we are proud to offer - but we do NOT really like regums, but we will not mention those either" There is your Business motto right there.

Memo to self -- never buy stamps from EITHER nystamps or HalfpennyYellow - let them both rip each other off via their warped sense of stamp 'ethics', and wacksville and non-existent moral compasses.

The REST of the members who DO have the wide picture vision of what is good for this hobby, to know this DELIBERATE WIDESPEAD AND ONGOING FRAUD is "NOT OK" will keep quietly reporting your hero nystamps to ebay, and when enough reports are received, he will wish he had kept his word earlier on this this thread, that he was going to stop doing it.

Clearly a spiv and conman that can not be trusted, and one that certainly does not keep his word - we call those folks "LIARS" in this part of the world. Perhaps that deceptive behaviour is OK and applauded and looked up to in Malta, I have no idea. You keep buying from him HalfpennyYellow - and delighted to hear you are happy with his superb and well described material.

However, please NEVER mail your collection to me when it comes time to sell. Mail it off to him, and see what offer you get. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

HalfpennyYellow

Global Administrator wrote:Deliberately covering up large thins and tears with amateur Liquid Paper running repairs, as your FRAUDSTER hero nystamps does daily, is perfectly FINE with you, and not telling the ebay bunny buyers of that ruined junk they are being ripped off, and applauding such sellers who knowingly and repeatedly breach ebay rules is also absolutely FINE with you - but regumming is not.
Regumming a hinged or no gum stamp and offering it as MNH is fraud. Offering a thinned stamp with this "liquid paper" repair as a stamp in perfect condition is also fraud. However, nystamps states that "Some stamps could be expertly restored, regum, or repaired" on each and every lot. I see that regumming was also mentioned, so technically the buyers are being warned of potential problems. If the buyers read this (or more likely do not read it at all) and still purchase the stamp, only to find it regummed/repaired, it's their problem.

I'm not saying that I like the practice, and I wouldn't buy stamps if I suspect that they are repaired. I am not defending nystamps, I'm just stating that I don't think it is fraud if the description mentions the possibility of regumming or repairs. Is it unethical? Yes. Is it fraud? No.

Reperforating a stamp and offering it as another, as seems to be the case with the USA $5, would be regarded as fraud, since the item is being sold as something it is not. I never condoned such practice from nystamps or from any other seller, and never will.
Global Administrator wrote:99% of collectors can not pick a good German regum if it jumped up and bit them on the derriere. You certainly would have zero idea, and YOU certainly have regums in your collection that you have no idea about (despite saying they are 'naughty'!) but applaud crudely patching up thins and tears, and not disclosing that to the clueless ebay buyers. "Monty Python Stamps" - there's a great name for your business. "Repairs and Rebuilding stamps we are proud to offer - but we do NOT really like regums, but we will not mention those either" There is your Business motto right there.
You have never seen my collection so you cannot state that I "certainly" have regummed stamps. There might be some here and there, but I don't pay a premium for MNH stamps so it is not a major issue for me (I mostly collect used stamps).
Global Administrator wrote:Perhaps that deceptive behaviour is OK and applauded and looked up to in Malta, I have no idea.
As I stated before, what does my country have to do with this? Everyone has his or her own views, and the country they live in is irrelevant in such cases.
Global Administrator wrote:You keep buying from him HalfpennyYellow - and delighted to hear you are happy with his superb and well described material.
I also stated that I only bought mixed lots from this seller, and NOT single stamps. I cannot comment on the quality of single stamps first-hand since I never purchased any from him.
Global Administrator wrote:However, please NEVER mail your collection to me when it comes time to sell. Mail it off to him, and see what offer you get. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have no plans to sell my collection, neither to you nor to nystamps.
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

billw2
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by billw2 »

fchd wrote:I think you'd have a hard time convincing a judge or a jury that this is Fraud when the seller is showing pictures both front and back which clearly show the affected areas, and they state on all (I think) items "Some stamps could be expertly restored, regum, or repaired" and invite questions on the state of any particular lot.

Would I buy one of these? No. Do I think the repairs are "Expert"? No. Do I like the process? No. But do I consider it fraud? Again, no.
You'd have a virtually impossible time of proving fraud on the part of the seller here. However, accusing the seller of committing fraud and stating that the seller is absolutely doing so? Better be able to back that up.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Certified wrote:Some figures for this week:
400 listings examined (the first two pages of 200 listings) out of a total of 3,133 stamp listings.

Of the 400, a total of 46 showed signs of repair or regumming.

Just over 11% or a total of approx 350 undeclared doctored stamps.

Speaking of ethics, perhaps the ultimate expression of honesty and integrity (creating an environment of trust and safety for the hobby) comes from that person who marks the back of a doctored stamp with the appropriate wording.

There is an indelible (permanent) ink marker that is just right for the job ($4 at your local stationary store):

Moving onto Regumming; A massive supply of regummed stamps are passing through nystamps - anything between 100 & 200 per week. None of it described as such.

We need to understand how this works.
There are three ways nystamps lists mint/unused stamps:

Of the three, pay particularly attention to:

nystamps cannot bring themselves to write "regummed" (or "mint with gum added") in the title, or item condition, let alone mark the back of the stamp with "regummed", so a subtle smokescreen deception is employed to keep you guessing.

All "mint with gum" that I have examined have been regummed to some degree.
Light thins and gum disturbance are the likely targets to receive this treatment.

I have not found any listings that mention "gum disturbance", so assume those in that condition are not wasted and are recycled as "mint with gum".

A potential bidder/buyer, looking at the title, would understandably assume that "mint with gum" is an unused stamp with gum as it came from the printer. No reason to question that it is regummed, right?

But how well does a stamp sell when it is listed "regummed"?

And how many of us can really tell the difference?

Here is an obvious one, but they are not all obvious (image enlarged):

Item #382019259119
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamp-Canada-Stamp-24-Mint-with-Gu ... 2019259119

To add to the deception, and I see this often, nystamps will add a little "VF" when he knows perfectly well that it is regummed. It is a little psychological mind game that puts the bidder at an unfair disadvantage - no surprise there.

Here is another not so obvious gum retouching:
Item #311834183830
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamp-US-Stamp-297-Mint-with-Gum-H-75-/311834183830

The first stamp was listed with the title "Appear VF" which, in this country, indicates that the stamp may appear to be in VF condition (I would say it has XF or better centering from a glance) but has condition issues.

Catalog $1,400, realized $195 and change.

The second stamp, the 5c Pan American, brought $10.50 vs a Catalog value of $75. Assuming that it was fault free this is an absolute steal as, even with Fine centering, it is worth about half of catalog or $35-40.

With small faults it should sell for $20-25 with Fine centering on a retail basis.

So if these were spacefiller stamps they brought spacefiller money.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Certified wrote:As mentioned in the previous post, we need to be alerted to a listing practice used by nystamps, namely, the occasional added flourish of a "VF" or "Rare", etc, in the title heading - which, in my opinion, is more often than not used as a smokescreen to divert attention.

I see this far too often to believe it is just a coincidence.

For example, this "$600" stamp gets a "VF".

Item #352015795701
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamp-Canada-Stamp-46-Mint-with-Gum-H-UN-600-VF-/352015795701

Not only is it regummed, but there is an undisclosed tear on the right margin. I enlarged the reverse; it is not easy to see that there is a tear from the image in the listing. No surprise there.

Or how about this "$90" stamp described as "VF":
Item #382019173847
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/nystamp-Canada-Stamp-108-Mint-OG-NH-UN-90-VF-/382019173847

How many bidders would have noticed the reperfed side, and just assumed it was "neat" perforation?
First stamp, Cat $600 realized $115. Clearly the visible tear kept bidding way down as is typical with faulty items that Sun lists.

Second stamp? Catalog $90 and realized $3 or less than 4% of Catalog.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Certified wrote:The practice of hiding a doctored stamp in amongst a listing with two, three or four other stamps is frequently encountered. We need to be aware of that.

The image of the reverse side of these multiple stamp listings is so small and blurry that it is often very difficult to notice doctoring - no surprise there.

For example, this group of three:
Item #382019286657
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382019286657
Here is actual size:

and enlarged:

$63 Cat, realized $11.50 More than I think they're worth but 2 have straight edges, they all have VG centering and 2 have heavy, nasty cancels. 2-% of Cat is plenty but if one does have a shallow thin then what is the set worth? $6 versus $9?

I don't buy junk like that anyhow and people who do buy spacefillers of cheap stamps likely aren't too bothered anyhow. Not like any dealer is going to value these for much of anything anyhow.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

Certified wrote:I have enlarged the reverse of this "$1,750" Nova Scotia #5 considerably.
A less educated buyer would think in terms of adhesions rather than repair.

It takes no more to write "Repaired" in the title than it does to write the innocuous "Postage Stamps" currently in the title.

Remember the reverse scan is enlarged in this image.

Item #382019164713
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382019164713

Cat $1,750 brought $129. I would think that 7.4% of Catalog is spacefiller money, right?

Certified

Post by Certified »

Bill,
You did not mention the $5 fake #313 that sold for $380. Not bad for a worthless curiosity stamp that is neither one thing nor the other. Value: maybe $2.

It seems half a dozen bidders or more were involved in the bidding.

It is for them that this thread has value - not the obvious stuff.

In fact, how about the obvious stuff being a "smokescreen" for the less obvious? Worth a thought.

But to get back to the real issue: the failure to declare the condition of the stamps for what they are. This thread would not exist if the seller complied with eBay rules for listing.

In the meantime, we are all getting an instructive education on how to spot doctored stamps.

Certified

Post by Certified »

Moving on to cancels...Over the years certain patterns have been observed.

I have, of course, examined samplings of the material that I considered dubious, and have picked up certain characteristics that evidence a faked cancel.

Some of those characteristics are that the cancels are applied over stamps that do not show evidence of being sent through the post (i.e. still have original gum).
(Disclaimer: A stamp with a cancel and original gum does not in and of itself mean the cancel is a fake).

Sometimes they are over cleaned fiscals.

Frequently, a group of stamps from one country is offered all at the same time.

The visual appearance of the forged cancel is consistently the same throughout the "run".

In most cases the stamps are close to 100 years old, but the color of the ink does not match the ink of what you would expect 100 year old ink to look like.

The cancels are often quite crude, and even sometimes drawn in.

The value of the stamp is often (but not always) higher used than mint.

The cancel does not show through on the reverse - a feature of the ink used in that period being the inclusion of tar in the mix which seeps through the paper.
I am sure there are exceptions (as with everything).

Often, the image has color saturation distortion, which in my opinion makes it harder to tell what is real and what is not.

It is their consistency that most speaks to me of their being from the one source, and they are consistently found in nystamps listings in large numbers on a regular and consistent basis.

Here are some examples currently on offer:

Item #311836477031
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311836477031

Item #382023445663
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382023445663

Item #352018304293
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352018304293

Item #382023499033
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382023499033

Item #311836496346
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311836496346

Certified

Post by Certified »

Perhaps some Australian collectors can help me out here.

These two look very much like fake cancels:

Item #352018244771
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352018244771

I am pretty sure it has been reperfed (see along my yellow lines below)- unless this kind of odd perforation is normal for this issue.

And:
item #311836415359
url: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311836415359

The reverse shows four black dots - they have been pasted over with possibly gum, but by tilting my screen almost flat to the table (imitating Retroreveal), you can see light coming through the black dots; thins? This stamp has issues.

David Benson
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by David Benson »

Certified,

watch the bids roll in on that Western Australia 10s., all from Stampboarders who saw the scan,

David B.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Certified, near all if not all the Barbados are genuine cds, and both the WA and Roo are too - the perfs are like that on the WA .. but agree they look very odd!

Many of the dodgy cancels posted earlier on this thread by this ebay FRAUDSTER nystamps were most certainly fake and not described thus by them as usual .. mostly on stamp of low value mint and higher value used. Bingo. Bunny Bait augogo.

10/- Roo of course has obvious pinholes but again this this ebay FRAUDSTER nystamps does not mention those either. :roll: :roll: :roll:

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

Certified

The Western Australia 10s has the Specimen (4-ring Cancelled to Order) cancellation.

Kindest regards

Richard

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: eBay seller "nystamps": a review of their listing practi

Post by Machaggis52 »

nystamps wrote:Hi "Certified":

"So I decided to go through the 3,919 listings in nystamps' store to see what if anything I could find."

First, we thank you for not accuse us again this time, for something that we have never done. Which was stated in your first post. Because it is wrong to accuse people of wrong doing by making assumption, and it is not legal.

We also thank this website, that provide platform for communications between us, and we hope can resolve many speculations and confusions.

Your analysis data is not right. You can say whatever you want to say, without any proof. Like claim several hundred items with repair while shown 20 images. In any event, that is not the key point that we are trying to make.

You claim the sale price is $35 or above. The eBay has a data, that shows our average selling price is under $20 per item for the past year (12 month). Which also means you either purposely up the selling price data, or your analysis is way off.

As for the repaired items, the reason it was not mentioned in the eBay title, was mainly because all are clearly visible from the back image in eBay. And as you can see, most (if not all) of these repaired items are sold at the appropriate price. Why, because most of our buyer now a days know what they are buying, and a picture worth a thousand words.

Although you made it a very large issue, we rarely got any complain on this from our buyers. Because the buyer have took into consideration of the repair or possible damage/fault when bidding, which are clearly visible from the back images.

Unlike traditional stamp auction, the stamp was only shown front in the auction catalog (a lot of times, do not even have a front image). In that case, the condition must be reported. Otherwise a high percentage of stamps sold will be returned for refund.

This is not the case for online bidding, when a back image is shown. Had we get a lot of complains on this subject, we would have allot additional manpower to address this issue long time ago.

Our average selling price is below $20, not the $35 you claimed. So more than half of the 3919 items were sold below $20, including many hundreds sold below $10, if not over a thousand items. And salary cost is $500000 per year for the 15 staff. The man power is very expensive here in NYC. We have to make a balance here, and our profit is far less than you think. It is easy to say than done. It can take $50000 or more in salary/time cost, to examine each and single one of the 3919 lots each week, and add the extra description in each title, where in this case, just may not be necessary.

We also got suggestion, that only mention the repair on the more expensive items. But in our auction, a CV$1000 items can sell for $30, and a CV $50 can also sell for $30. So all items were treated the same, and from the way we would, it is not practical to do that either.

If this is indeed a big issue as you claimed, we would have got a lot of complains, like buyer saying the description is misleading because the repair was not disclosed. We would also have getting a lot of returns.

The business is always customer driven, and we would have put it in the eBay item title to stress this problem, regardless the cost. But it did not seem to be the problem in the past several years.

Because most of our buyer know to look at the eBay images, both front and back, and they already took consideration of the back condition when place the bid. As we said earlier, the complain would be the back image not clear enough to see the small flaw. Not complain that the repair was not disclosed.

We have told the late Bill Weiss and others many times, our above reason for not mention it in the title, but they just do not care. They never even bothered to trying to understanding other people.
You are selling to bunnies, who don't really understand what they have bought.

I've been looking at your listings for years, but never bought, because I do know what I'm looking at. Those backs ring an alarm bell with me, and if you had a clue what you were actually selling, would for you too.

Either, your altering stamps, or failing to recognise that your are selling altered stamps, without describing them as such. Either way, damn poor show.
With kind regards, Jim

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

mmaddury wrote:IMHO, this is getting a bit overboard.

Nystamps has clearly stated that they will accept any returns and refund fully if not satisfied. This is mentioned on their listings as well as in their comments here.

SG offers a 30-day full satisfaction guarantee policy and so I'm inclined to buy rare items at their prices. If I feel I've overpaid once I receive the item, or if there is a defect, I can always send it back. No questions asked. For ex: I once bought a Bamra (Indian state) CTO sheet.

It was expensive but such sheets are rare. I did not ask for a back scan (based on their return policy) and I noticed a bit of tape on the back to cover a minor tear. SG offered full money back if I wanted it, but I settled for a minor credit and kept the sheet.

This policy is much better than what many 'full-time' dealers offer - either on eBay or via private sales.

Nystamps is starting bids at $0.99 and offering a money-back guarantee. As long as they stand behind their refund policy (I've never had to use it), I don't see an issue. Try to get a bargain if you can understanding that you are not getting pristine material. If you are still unhappy return it!

I intend to purchase again from them if I see items I like.
There are 24 hours in the day. Of these, I work for five, sleep for eight, eat for a couple, exercise and... you get the drift.

Why should I spend my precious time returning crap to a seller who is either deceitful or lazy? Better not to buy in the first place.

However, I will be spending a few minutes reporting the things i just previously ignored.
With kind regards, Jim

satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

All other issues aside, an undeniable fact in this matter is that; if a scan of the back is going to be provided, it would take no longer and cost no more to provide it in equal quality to the scan of the front.

NYstamps can be as adamant as he likes about ethics and volume, but I'm not going to hold my breath awaiting refutation of this fact.

Maxime Citerne
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Maxime Citerne »

My two cents as a collector:

nystamps listings present two major problems.

1- Consistant low quality scans, both front and back. The scan quality, especially for the back, is definitely NOT HIGH enough. As a buyer, it is extremely disturbing when trying to figure out if a bif should be placed with a minimum of confidence or not.

As mentioned above, that issue could be very easily revolved, but it is not; therefore I see this as an unprofessional approach to philately (at best), and as a reason to raise a suspicious eyebrow (at least).

2- Dishonest and misleading descriptions. "some stamps could be repaired or regummed" placed on each one of their lots: sorry but I do not buy that crap. You are a professional dealer, or you are not. Take responsability and assume what you are selling.

If nystamps cannot check and describe correctly each lot (which they should do), then at least they should provide high quality scans (they purposely don´t) and sell their lots as "sold as is - buyer takes the risk" (which they also don´t).

A last note though: regarding the so-called back repairing fraud, I will sincerely offer no comment, as there is until yet no evidence (EVIDENCE) that they are involved in that scheme. For me, innocent until proven guilty.

Maxime

Member of the Rossica Society, the British Society of Russian Philately (BSRP)

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Machaggis52 wrote:Either, your altering stamps, or failing to recognise that your are selling altered stamps, without describing them as such. Either way, damn poor show.
If they go around the New York area hoovering up collections at auctions to break down and resell, why is it that they are the only dealer who seems to have these stamps with 'liquid paper' repairs, and they continue to have such stamps week after week (apparently for years it has been stated?) That seems like a big red flag.
satsuma wrote:All other issues aside, an undeniable fact in this matter is that; if a scan of the back is going to be provided, it would take no longer and cost no more to provide it in equal quality to the scan of the front.
I agree with you on that...I don't see the logic to the scans, other than to hide something. Seems like they scan the front of the stamps at 600dpi, then go into the scanner settings and reset the scan quality to 300dpi before doing the backs. :?
Maxime Citerne wrote:[/b]"some stamps could be repaired or regummed" placed on each one of their lots: sorry but I do not buy that crap. ... If nystamps cannot check and describe correctly each lot (which they should do), then at least they should provide high quality scans (they purposely don´t) and sell their lots as "sold as is - buyer takes the risk" (which they also don´t).
Their boiler-plate statement about condition is ridiculous. Imagine if an auction house did that--buying in the fine print page of Terms of Sale at the front/back of the catalogue a clause that said "some of the stamps in the auction might have defects/repairs", and not mention that in the lot listings...a firm like that wouldn't last long.

An analogy that comes to mind is having a used-car lot. Imagine you have an inventory of 3,000 cars, and you have a little sign in a corner of the vast parking lot with a tonne of sales and disclaimer blather, and include in that a note "there might be a car somewhere on the lot that might have rust on the underside".

If item X has a problem, say so. Don't offer thousands of items for sale and expect the buyers to do the work of sifting through everything. Offer goods accurately, so that buyers know what they're getting.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

HalfpennyYellow

Nystamps currently has this Malta 1922 Self-Government 2/- with an obvious forged postmark. The cancellation does not even remotely resemble any Valletta postmark of that era.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352068647377
The stamp seems to be SG120, which is catalogued at £48 mint and £85 used in my 2010 SG (I don't believe it has increased greatly since then). It is also faded, so it might be a fiscally used stamp with a washed manuscript cancellation.

Nystamps' other current Malta lots seem to be OK at first glance, so I don't think that he was the one who added this forged cancel.

Certified

Post by Certified »

Updating our readers on the current status of ebay seller nystamps.

Nothing has changed in the past six months; undisclosed doctoring of stamps are being churned out by the hundreds every week (or at least at those random intervals that I have checked).

Here are some recent, random offerings - big money being paid for basically space-filler status stamps:

I have enlarged the reverse scan because of its pathetic low resolution - no change in nystamps modus operandi there.

Item #311976873355

Item #352180589188

Item #382245582742

Item #382245683067

Here is one for Richard D. (returned by an irate buyer, who apparently is not aware of nystamps' doctored stamps policy).

Item #382192539798

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Actually, a Half Inch repaired vertical tear starting at AT of States.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Global Administrator wrote:Actually, a Half Inch repaired vertical tear starting at AT of States.
They might channel Monty Python and argue, "Ah, 'tis but a scratch".

32_seeker
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 32_seeker »

I doubt nystamps has a workshop of elves working to doctor items for sale. They don't need to... I think the collections they buy are chock full of altered stamps from several generations of dishonest sellers and naive buyers. I'm sure there are amateurs making this garbage at home tonight and taking advantage of the "lots and collections" market created by aggressive buyers like Sun.

Sun knows their market; high turnover, low carrying cost, keep the machine running. I think they care very little if a stamp is altered or not; like a dented can of soup or any commodity, if it gets returned then they resell (restocking cost is cheap) and some sucker is bound to buy it eventually.

I am sure they employ shill bidding techniques to simulate interest in their auction items. Perhaps their buyers get some entertainment value by competing against phantom bidders, who knows. Because they are indifferent to the harm they cause to the hobby, I never bid.

The Pom

Post by The Pom »

32_seeker wrote:I doubt nystamps has a workshop of elves working to doctor items for sale. They don't need to... I think the collections they buy are chock full of altered stamps from several generations of dishonest sellers and naive buyers. I'm sure there are amateurs making this garbage at home tonight and taking advantage of the "lots and collections" market created by aggressive buyers like Sun.
The number of stamps with similarly filled in thins they have for sale seems a little on the high side for that theory to stand up, in my opinion.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.

Rod Perry
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rod Perry »

32_seeker wrote:I doubt nystamps has a workshop of elves working to doctor items for sale. They don't need to... I think the collections they buy are chock full of altered stamps from several generations of dishonest sellers and naive buyers. I'm sure there are amateurs making this garbage at home tonight and taking advantage of the "lots and collections" market created by aggressive buyers like Sun.

Sun knows their market; high turnover, low carrying cost, keep the machine running. I think they care very little if a stamp is altered or not; like a dented can of soup or any commodity, if it gets returned then they resell (restocking cost is cheap) and some sucker is bound to buy it eventually.

I am sure they employ shill bidding techniques to simulate interest in their auction items. Perhaps their buyers get some entertainment value by competing against phantom bidders, who knows. Because they are indifferent to the harm they cause to the hobby, I never bid.
". . . the collections they buy are chock full of altered stamps from several generations of dishonest sellers and naive buyers."
As long as I've been buying collections internationally at auction (since the 1960s), the philatelic adulteration (my preferred choice of word to describe the activity) industry has been well established.

A learning curve moment would come later, when a big name US dealer attended one of my Melbourne Australia auctions in 1970s. Obviously, I was buoyed upon sighting him in the crowd.

After the auction, where he bought many single item lots from a large whole world collection we had on offer, I had to ask him why he was largely buying items with blemishes, minor to major? "To spice-up collections" was his reply.

I then realised I had stumbled upon how material was sourced for the dark side of collection doctoring: Buyers were omnipresent worldwide, and auctions were in their firing line.(**)

I've found some of the big name US auction houses riddled with adulterated collections over the past 45 years I've been travelling to buy collections.

That is not to say the practice did not occur in UK/Europe; I just did not find it as entrenched in my travels as I did in the US.

In my areas of specialisation, I've witnessed my learned valuations, often embracing "sleepers" such as cancellations, and significant Scott-unlisted variants, get blown out of the water, as a consequence of the presence of high cat "duds". Realisations of three to eight or more times my valuations were not uncommon. Some vendors, clearly, were being enriched significantly.

Frustrated, I desisted from travelling to inspect auction lot collections in US twenty years ago.

I imagine the situation has gone from bad to extremely worse, with the technological advancements in the interim.

Rod

(**) Also once attending my auctions, in the 1970s, were two of the overseas pioneer reperf/regum/repair "legends" of Kangaroo stamps, etc.
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

xfnh
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by xfnh »

I am a veteran collector. I have bought numerous times from nystamps. I believe it is an entirely unfounded claim by the poster here that they alter stamps. They buy large collections, and of course there will be altered stamps galore in those. I know stamps and when i get a regum I simply tell them and i get a refund, every time, same for any defective stamp. I agree they are not nearly as good at verifying what they are selling as they could be but then tey show the back of every stamp. they start at .01 fro every stamp. IMHO< one ha sto be a fool not to keep this site in mind. I have gotten numerous clearly good stamps at a great price.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

xfnh wrote:I believe it is an entirely unfounded claim by the poster here that they alter stamps. They buy large collections, and of course there will be altered stamps galore in those.
What an amazing coincidence that every every previous owner had stamps in their collections repaired/altered using exactly the same technique.
tey show the back of every stamp. they start at .01 fro every stamp. IMHO< one ha sto be a fool not to keep this site in mind.
So just because they're showing you the back, that absolves them of any responsibility or wrongdoing?

If you were buying a used car, and saw one where the seller had painted over all the rusted areas, did not mention that in the advert, but included photos of all 4 sides of the car in their listing, would it then not be their fault that the car was doctored and not as represented?

gregbear61

Post by gregbear61 »

xfnh - please just have a read through the thread.

There's much detail of their listing practices with supporting evidence over the previous 5 pages.

billw2

Post by billw2 »

I'll say one thing...

I just got another cert back from the PF on a stamp I bought off of nystamps. Advertised as a cat of $350, the Philatelic Foundation agreed with me that it was a rare shade that catalogs $2,000. Yes it's faulty but I knew that when I bid on it.

Seemed to me that $22 was a fair price.

I may have said this before, but unless you have evidence of nystamps/Sun Philatelic altering stamps then I would strongly suggest watching what you say on here when it's mere speculation.

Point out flaws that are not mentioned specifically? Absolutely fine as that can be backed up. Suggesting that the seller is running a nefarious enterprise? That is a very dangerous road to go down.

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

gregbear61 wrote:xfnh - please just have a read through the thread.

There's much detail of their listing practices with supporting evidence over the previous 5 pages.
I do not believe that there has been any evidence shown here that "nystamps" has performed any repair work, they are merely buyers of huge collections which are broken down finely with an extremely generous return policy.

Bill, I assume that your stamp was a blackish violet.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney

billw2

Post by billw2 »

capetriangle wrote:
gregbear61 wrote:xfnh - please just have a read through the thread.

I do not believe that there has been any evidence shown here that "nystamps" has performed any repair work, they are merely buyers of huge collections which are broken down finely with an extremely generous return policy.

Bill, I assume that your stamp was a blackish violet.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
Richard,

I did get one as a Blackish Violet this week but it was not one from nystamps, although I DO have a blackish violet that I bought on eBay from them.

This was a regular Violet, a 70c. A Blackish Violet catalogs for $20,000 (Which is too high IMO). The problem with them right now is a number that have been certified by other services are out there that would never get a PF cert and people seem to know this and aren't buying them so they go unsold at auction..etc..etc...

twinklefeet

Re: eBay seller "nystamps": some VERY dodgy listing practices

Post by twinklefeet »

Here's a Ceylon example currently listed as the Imperf 9d (SG 8) which catalogs at £60,000. But I believe it's actually a much more common stamp (Sg 33b Olive Sepia) with perforations trimmed.

The shade is nowhere close to the Purple-Brown of the SG 8. Offered to untrained eyes, 'nystamps' rather deliberate low-res photo listing strategy contributes conveniently to the confusion.

3 Days to go, Already bids at $150 upwards with 15+ watchers. God save the bunnies.
s-l500.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353600491002?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid= ... olid=10001

The following is a colour comparison of 2 genuine SG 8 Purple-Brown stamps with a SG 33b Olive Sepia (far right) with perforations intact. Despite one being a lighter shade to the other, the distinction in colour is blatantly obvious to see.
9702 (1).jpg
May I suggest, QED.

-TF ('',)

twinklefeet

Post by twinklefeet »

Ends up being sold for $625! What. A. Shame.
Untitled.jpg
A simple internet search says this operation is owned by a person named Ji Sun.

-TF ('',)
Last edited by twinklefeet on 09 Aug 2021 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

twinklefeet wrote:
09 Aug 2021 00:11

Ends up being sold for $US625! What. A. Shame.

Did you report it via the special new form FakeBay they have for such things allowing images and text?

Of course not. :roll:

What. A. Shame - indeed.

Admin

twinklefeet

Post by twinklefeet »

Well I did, Glen. To no avail.

-TF ('',)

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Well done if you used the new direct link -- just reporting it via the lot number never works these days.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”