The new eBay payments system - bypassing PayPal etc

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Phila-Tourist
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: The new eBay payments system - bypassing PayPal etc

Post by Phila-Tourist »

One buyer in his well-meaning but misguided attempt to be ultra-compliant has already paid me “through eBay” (not via PayPal) before I even sent him an invoice and although eBay hasn’t even notified me of the new system yet. Predictably, there is no record anywhere of the buyer’s payment at my end and he will obviously not get his purchase from me until the money shows up in my bank account.

Does the new system have different rules and fees for private and commercial sellers, whereby the latter may face more restrictions and higher fees?

Is it not possible any more for any seller (private or business) to give the buyer his bank account details after a sale is completed, and the buyers effects a bank transfer (in jurisdictions such as the euro zone, where payment by bank transfer is the norm)?

If the seller then marks the article as paid eBay has no reason to complain or to act. Or will that option be abolished and payment through eBay be made obligatory? But that will only work if eBay goes fully Amazon and abolishes all the users’ freedoms to communicate with each other and input status updates on the progress of their transactions.

Fraudulent or impatient buyers may become a problem if eBay refunds too willingly. I bet eBay will immediately claim the money from the seller and even if my balance with eBay is zero at that moment, eBay can probably get into my bank account via the existing direct debit authorization.

I also see that there is now a flat fee commission on any sale, in addition to the percentage commission. That kills all the 1 euro/1 dollar micro sales, which don’t bring in real money but which are fun for private sellers who don’t charge for their time.

Number-O-Ne
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by Number-O-Ne »

Phila-Tourist wrote:
29 Apr 2021 03:30

Fraudulent or impatient buyers may become a problem if eBay refunds too willingly. I bet eBay will immediately claim the money from the seller and even if my balance with eBay is zero at that moment, eBay can probably get into my bank account via the existing direct debit authorization.

I also see that there is now a flat fee commission on any sale, in addition to the percentage commission. That kills all the 1 euro/1 dollar micro sales, which don’t bring in real money but which are fun for private sellers who don’t charge for their time.
These two paragraphs explain 85% of why I stopped selling on eBay.

The remaining 15% is delayed payments, increased fees, and planned price increases of store subscriptions

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

I've been on it for a few months now and I have to say it's working well for me. Does cost a fraction more. Worst thing is that you now don't get an email notification of a sale ( used to come from PayPal).

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Number-O-Ne wrote:
29 Apr 2021 03:40
Phila-Tourist wrote:
29 Apr 2021 03:30

These two paragraphs explain 85% of why I stopped selling on eBay.

The remaining 15% is delayed payments, increased fees, and planned price increases of store subscriptions
A slight issue is that all so called "fraudulent or impatient buyers" aren't fraudulent or impatient. I bought a small lot from a seller in Holland which didn't turn up. I raised it with the seller, waited several weeks after the guide arrival time and told him the stamps had still not arrived. He did a refund. I still lost out because of ebay's exchange rate gouge. The stamps have still not turned up.

I've had issues previously with sellers who have failed to post lots I've won so to an extent you can understand when eBay do what they do.

One aspect of eBay's policies that is unreasonable is that sellers cannot leave anything other than positive feedback. There is no dispute that there are fraudulent or impatient buyers - I've had the misfortune of selling stamps to some of them in the past; appropriate feedback from sellers would be one way of highlighting the issue. As it is, ebay should know from buyer's track records whether they have a disproportionate number of claims against sellers .... but it is doubtful whether they do anything about it.

One buyer repeatedly gave me grief using three different ebay usernames - blocking bidders only works on the usernames you know. I got quite upset at the guy's vehemence the first time.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!

Phila-Tourist

Post by Phila-Tourist »

You are right. Fraudulent buyers are rare, at least in the stamps/collectibles category. Impatient ones are more common. That impatience is fuelled by an almost paranoid fear of being defrauded, which seems to collectively grip most eBay buyers.

People on eBay behave like tourists in the markets of Marrakesh - constantly expecting to be ripped off. If these people showed the same degree of fear and suspicion in their high street shopping or in everyday encounters outside the internet, they would never dare leave their homes! The sheer panic when a letter containing their 1 euro purchase is a few days late, I just don't get it.

Another aspect that frustrates me when selling surplus household items is that many buyers are - how shall I put this politically correct - intellectually challenged. Yes, eBay purchases are not like supermarket shopping because you really ought to read ten lines of article description and shipping and payment conditions, which I try to keep short, precise, clear and in big font. If you don't use this minimum diligence in all life situations that warrant it I genuinely wonder how you haven't yet lost all your money, and your life.

No negative feedback possible for buyers: ridiculous. It wasn't always so, the change came 10 or 15 years ago. This is the reason why I never give feedback to buyers at all, unless they directly ask me for it. I'm okay with being quasi-forced to give my opinion, but not with giving praise. What is this, North Korea?.

Rog
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Rog »

Bill H UK wrote:
29 Apr 2021 04:48
I've been on it for a few months now and I have to say it's working well for me. Does cost a fraction more. Worst thing is that you now don't get an email notification of a sale ( used to come from PayPal).
Bill, you should be able to set up email alerts in your account area somewhere. I get emails when I sell something from eBay, not exactly sure how to go about it - I must have already set it up, but just to let you know it's possible.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

Cheers. I'll look into it.

60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by 60022Mallard »

"Negative " feedback is possible for buyers, but only if sellers wait until the transaction is complete, rather than, as many seem to, post feedback on receipt of the money.

A few "Sorry your item was lost in the post, full refund given" will soon mark the card of problem buyers.

Having done that for a buyer I had an e-mail from another seller who I had bought off and we compared notes. It seems the buyer had more than one identity, but the same address, so the other seller blocked a second account.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

Phila-tourist.

Because the eBay fee structure now includes the cost of handling "payment" in the basic charge in managed payments, it would appear that even if you used another payment method feeBay would still charge you the 10% plus appropriate location of buyer fee plus the flat rate.

AdmiralCollector
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by AdmiralCollector »

Phila-Tourist wrote:
29 Apr 2021 05:35
You are right. Fraudulent buyers are rare, at least in the stamps/collectibles category. Impatient ones are more common. That impatience is fuelled by an almost paranoid fear of being defrauded, which seems to collectively grip most eBay buyers.
. . . The sheer panic when a letter containing their 1 euro purchase is a few days late, I just don't get it.
I think the impatience is also due to the various emails ebay sends out.

I get emails within about 24 hours that say my item is being shipped, or my item has shipped. When the item arrives a week or two later, the postmark is often 4-10 days after the date I received the email.

When a tracking number is involved, I will check on the tracking number and am often told a shipping label has been printed, or the USPS is awaiting arrival of the item. The first post office scan is often 4-10 days after the label was printed.

The emails sent out by ebay encourage me to think the item is on its way when in reality it hasn't even been brought to a post office yet, and won't be for another few days.

Now, I know sellers often can't, and shouldn't be expected to, make a special trip to the post office for a "1 euro purchase." Many of them may live in fairly remote places and/or have jobs to attend to. One seller I deal with says he mails a week's worth of ebay sales on Fridays, and the cut-off time is Thursday noon -- Order after that and you will wait until the following Friday. Fair enough.

faro

Post by faro »

60022Mallard wrote:
30 Apr 2021 02:18
Phila-tourist.

Because the eBay fee structure now includes the cost of handling "payment" in the basic charge in managed payments, it would appear that even if you used another payment method feeBay would still charge you the 10% plus appropriate location of buyer fee plus the flat rate.
12.8% (plus location fee, plus currency exchange fee, plus applies to the p&p charge). Plus the flat rate 30p.

There's a good reason many of us would only sell on £1 maximum FVF weekends, but it looks like their latest offer on ebay.co.uk (many of us just had a 30/4 cutover to managed payments) is 80% off FVF plus the flat rate instead.

Bill H UK

Post by Bill H UK »

That's a better deal for us who do mostly under a tenner items, though. Not so good for £50+ sellers.

parkgate270160

Post by parkgate270160 »

Faro , I see it as a carrot to join up to their new system . I have email saying I MUST sign up by the 31st May to be able to carry on selling as a private seller . For now my attitude is -- get stuffed . I don`t sell that often , I can take it or leave it , its just a bit of fun for me . Would be nice if a large amount of users palled them out . Kick them in the backside .

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

parkgate270160 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 18:17
Faro , I see it as a carrot to join up to their new system . I have email saying I MUST sign up by the 31st May to be able to carry on selling as a private seller . For now my attitude is -- get stuffed . I don`t sell that often , I can take it or leave it , its just a bit of fun for me . Would be nice if a large amount of users palled them out . Kick them in the backside .
I too noticed that to accept this offer you have to "update your details". I have not looked further, but suspect that involves providing your bank details and the offer EXCLUDES the 30p flat fee, so the £1 sellers still lose a goodly chunk and that 30p only applies to managed payments system fees.

My "date" has moved from April 30th to May 31st. I have been having a major clear out in anticipation of ceasing selling.

We can but wait to see if they actually pull the plug on selling. Only they will know the voluntary take up rate of converting to managed payments.

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

I'm not an active seller, but I have two accounts. As far as I know we have had nothing about this system.

This is from an email sent to both accounts about new user agreement

ebay email
ebay email
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

As a business seller I have been using the Ebay managed payments system for a few months now. All working fine for me and had no issues or problems, all very smooth and convenient. Selling costs are overall fractionally less at present.

I really do not see why the reluctance to opt in, Amazon have had an in house system for years, surprised Ebay have taken so long to sort one out since they parted ways with PayPal.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

W5LDY wrote:
30 Apr 2021 21:01
As a business seller I have been using the Ebay managed payments system for a few months now. All working fine for me and had no issues or problems, all very smooth and convenient. Selling costs are overall fractionally less at present.

I really do not see why the reluctance to opt in, Amazon have had an in house system for years, surprised Ebay have taken so long to sort one out since they parted ways with PayPal.
In your costs what have you allowed for loss of up to six weeks credit on your fees? The minimum two days later receiving payment in to your account is another "cost".

It is not so much that they have the system, but intend to make it obligatory when the existing system works o.k., and actually make no concession in their charging structure to make it a more attractive option. For those who used payment means other than via Paypal, fees were not charged on the "money transaction", now they will be, so the pleasure of popping round to see you to collect that BMA item to save cost would be negated!

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

Sorry Gerald, I have not been quite that forensic with my estimation of total costs recently, too busy sorting and selling stamps. :lol:

Not into penny pinching, Ebay works really well for me, often achieving results unobtainable elsewhere.

And just how much is the credit on up to six weeks for fees of less than a thousand quid?, it's buttons.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

W5LDY wrote:
30 Apr 2021 23:44
Sorry Gerald, I have not been quite that forensic with my estimation of total costs recently, too busy sorting and selling stamps. :lol:

Not into penny pinching, Ebay works really well for me, often achieving results unobtainable elsewhere.

And just how much is the credit on up to six weeks for fees of less than a thousand quid?, it's buttons.
You did say fractionally less, and for many businesses cash flow is king!

Did nobody ever pay you other than through Paypal? Other posts on here have indicated when a relationship has developed they used bank transfer to save fees. No longer possible to save fees because of the one size fits all fee structure now.

Phila-Tourist

Post by Phila-Tourist »

That is indeed a key point. Will buyers now need a PayPal account and/or a credit card to purchase on eBay? Previously, a bank account was sufficient. And as long as the seller agreed nobody stopped a buyer from tying a banknote to a carrier pigeon to pay for his purchase!

W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

60022Mallard wrote:
01 May 2021 00:36
W5LDY wrote:
30 Apr 2021 23:44

You did say fractionally less, and for many businesses cash flow is king!

Did nobody ever pay you other than through Paypal? Other posts on here have indicated when a relationship has developed they used bank transfer to save fees. No longer possible to save fees because of the one size fits all fee structure now.
A very large percentage, maybe 99% of payments for Ebay sales were made by PayPal. The other 1% were cheques, glad that method has gone as I hated wasting time in queues at the bank to pay them in.

Not one buyer in over 10 years asked me to pay by Bank Transfer.

Can you blame Ebay that if you buy something on their platform that they want you to use their payments system. It's easy to use and convenient one click stuff.

Phila-Tourist

Post by Phila-Tourist »

W5LDY wrote:
01 May 2021 00:48

A very large percentage, maybe 99% of payments for Ebay sales were made by PayPal. The other 1% were cheques, glad that method has gone as I hated wasting time in queues at the bank to pay them in.

I think that's very much a cultural issue, and as long as eBay wants to be an international platform it should remain flexible. I know in the US "checks" are still popular while domestic bank transfers are practically unheard of. In many countries in continental Europe bank transfers are almost the norm because they are free of charge.

Private sellers cannot take credit card payments, cannot do a direct debit, and anyone with half a brain has realized PayPal is a rip-off and it's of course the buyer who eventually pays the PayPal fee, in the form of invisibly elevated product prices.

Any reputable platform offers several payment options: credit card, bank transfer, cheque, the increasingly popular "instant transfer" bank account debits, PayPal, etc. Just look at Amazon.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Phila-Tourist wrote:
01 May 2021 00:45
That is indeed a key point. Will buyers now need a PayPal account and/or a credit card to purchase on eBay? Previously, a bank account was sufficient. And as long as the seller agreed nobody stopped a buyer from tying a banknote to a carrier pigeon to pay for his purchase!
PayPal takes debit cards as well as credit cards; bank account works fine.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

norvic

Post by norvic »

W5LDY wrote:
01 May 2021 00:48

Through my (non-eBay) shop most pay by PayPal or by card through PayPal which is the platform's handler.

More than a few pay by bank transfer, even from Europe, although this doesn't happen since the end of last year.

A few still pay by cheque. No problem, just use the Barclays iPad app to pay them in. Only total failure was the guy in N Ireland who wrote his figures as 12.ØØ rather than 12.00 - and if he sees this, I meant to write to you about that but I only paid it in at the branch yesterday. :D

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Phila-Tourist wrote:
01 May 2021 01:10

Any reputable platform offers several payment options: credit card, bank transfer, cheque, the increasingly popular "instant transfer" bank account debits, PayPal, etc.

I've accepted all for decades. I cannot comprehend how ANY retailer can do otherwise. Including Feebay. They simply are pricing themselves out of the market.

For smaller sellers sending stamps to a REAL stamp auction often costs less!

Even taking Amex is now down to about 1% for me these days, and they used to be 4% here, and I still made a decent profit on that. Amex here is giving all buyers 3 air miles per $A spent with small businesses like me, near 6 EXTRA points per STG, for near the next year, and have no idea how they can do that

https://www.americanexpress.com/au/shop-small/?intlink=au-en-au-ss-od-breadcrumb-lp
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

I've often wondered how many people actually use American Express.

When credit cards were introduced here in the 70s nobody wanted Amex because the credit cards had no basic fee and allowed credit (for interest), whereas Amex wanted payment in full and charged an annual (?) fee for the privilege.

I realise that different experiences would occur in different countries (esp the US) but still we see outlets taking all credit cards (well, there's only Visa and Mastercard now) but having 'No American Express' signs up.

JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Did I pick up that "Collection Only" will be subject to fees other than final value fee?

One of my private seller accounts is used for larger collection only items (obvioulsy not stamps), cash on collection usually.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

norvic wrote:
01 May 2021 02:37
I've often wondered how many people actually use American Express.

When credit cards were introduced here in the 70s nobody wanted Amex because the credit cards had no basic fee and allowed credit (for interest), whereas Amex wanted payment in full and charged an annual (?) fee for the privilege.

I realise that different experiences would occur in different countries (esp the US) but still we see outlets taking all credit cards (well, there's only Visa and Mastercard now) but having 'No American Express' signs up.

Amex is rock solid here now. Nationally. Supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, airlines, doctors, dentists, coffee shops etc near all take it, also phone bills, insurance, stamp auctions etc.

I used to take Diners Club for 30 years, but that tailed right off.

It costs me WAY less to accept Amex now than Visa/Mastercard/PayPal.

For a foreign buyer like you, it costs me ONE THIRD AS MUCH in fees as Visa/Mastercard.

Everything I buy on eBay goes to my Amex via PayPal. My Amex card has an annual fee HALF my Visa card. Gets me invites to special things etc.

A doctor bought this pretty 1840 2d Blue below today, with BPA cert, for 10% Gibbons at $A7500 on Amex.

He gets 22,500 air miles via the new promo, and as he has a Plat or Plutonium card get 2 or 3 x Normal points anyway, so that one stamp earned him a Business Class round trip air ticket domestically.

Apl21-GB 1840 2d Blue unused.jpg
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

norvic

Post by norvic »

I'd forgotten about Diners.

I have no annual fees on any of the four Visa/Mastercards available. Airmiles will be useful again one day....

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

JohnB wrote:
01 May 2021 02:53
Did I pick up that "Collection Only" will be subject to fees other than final value fee?

One of my private seller accounts is used for larger collection only items (obvioulsy not stamps), cash on collection usually.
I think the gist of the new system is that no matter how you used to be paid, now even if cash changes hands feeBay are going to charge the seller for the pleasure of receiving his money even if they have done absolutely nothing in the process.

Having bought from one or two who have signed up you now pay eBay, not the seller, so there is presumably no way of avoiding their fees as a seller there is no route to payment to the seller other than through cash. I wonder if feeBay will accept cheques payable to them - joking of course.

Nick777VVV

Post by Nick777VVV »

The other big change is the final nail in the coffin for direct communication between buyer and seller.

Although eBay don't allow exchange of email or telephone information on their site (paranoia that they may lose a sale), you could still communicate with your buyer via the email information provided by PayPal.

It also meant that sellers could gradually develop their own marketing database of customers. Any business seller knows that this information is gold dust; the ability to market your stock directly to qualified leads. And, if not abused, a win/win for both parties.

Savvy businesses that have been trading on eBay for a while will have captured this data and now have a fall back position, particularly if they develop their own web shop. But a new business no longer has this ability.

In theory, you could build up a stamp dealing business on eBay worth tens of thousands of £/$/€. A few years down the line, eBay decides to change its business model once again or you fall foul of their rules and that's it; your gone. It'd be as if your business never existed, with no presence and no way to reach your customers.

This isn't a concern for casual sellers, getting shot of a few duplicates. But I bet there's an army of small businesses out there (in all selling categories) that are starting to evaluate their options...

norvic

Post by norvic »

Under EU GDPR rules which are incorporated into UK law, you would still need certain permissions from those people to write soliciting more business. I'm not sure how the first email requesting permission would work.

Nick777VVV

Post by Nick777VVV »

norvic wrote:
02 May 2021 05:18
Under EU GDPR rules which are incorporated into UK law, you would still need certain permissions from those people to write soliciting more business. I'm not sure how the first email requesting permission would work.
True, although the fact that there would already be a relationship between buyer and seller should be acceptable. And, these days, any responsible marketing activity should have an instant Unsubscribe option.

But it's a moot point. Going forwards, you have no customers on eBay. At least, none you can develop a relationship with. Just a bunch of shipping addresses.

steevh
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by steevh »

I have had an endless slew of emails from eBay telling me to move to managed payments by the end of April.

I wondered what would happen if I ignored them.

I just found out -- nothing, it seems. I can still list as before.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

steevh wrote:
02 May 2021 20:37
I have had an endless slew of emails from eBay telling me to move to managed payments by the end of April.

Mine was 30th April. Now seemingly 31st May.

parkgate270160

Post by parkgate270160 »

I will ignore any emails from Ebay to update my details for the time being , I do not sell very often . I would think that business sellers have no choice , and any private sellers signing up is a bonus to Ebays coffers . I would think that selling an item for £1 with £1 postage will leave the seller with about 70p ish after postage . Greedybay.

faro

Post by faro »

60022Mallard wrote:
03 May 2021 00:07
Lucky you! I waited until 5 minutes before my 30th April deadline: no dice...
parkgate270160 wrote:
03 May 2021 05:06
I will ignore any emails from Ebay to update my details for the time being , I do not sell very often . I would think that business sellers have no choice , and any private sellers signing up is a bonus to Ebays coffers . I would think that selling an item for £1 with £1 postage will leave the seller with about 70p ish after postage . Greedybay.
Just over 44p for a UK sale if postage was actually £1.

Only feasible at all by using old stamps for 2nd class post (blocks of 4 x 9p and 7½p are quite attractive for the current rate) and bulk purchase card-backed envelopes.

Have fun with the hassle of obtaining proof of posting, writing off any losses, and good luck with international sales!

steevh

Post by steevh »

faro wrote:
03 May 2021 05:18
60022Mallard wrote:
03 May 2021 00:07
Lucky you! I waited until 5 minutes before my 30th April deadline: no dice...
parkgate270160 wrote:
03 May 2021 05:06
Just over 44p for a UK sale if postage was actually £1.

Only feasible at all by using old stamps for 2nd class post (blocks of 4 x 9p and 7½p are quite attractive for the current rate) and bulk purchase card-backed envelopes.

Have fun with the hassle of obtaining proof of posting, writing off any losses, and good luck with international sales!
Did you update your details just before deadline? Did you try to list after the deadline passed?

I didn't update my details, but then tried listing on May 2 and found it was no problem.

60022Mallard

Post by 60022Mallard »

steevh

I have also ignored the e-mails and and re-listed some items yesterday.

What it has done is concentrated the mind and I have been having a decided review of my duplicate stamps, and other areas of interests, and having a really good clear out.

I believe anything listed on "D-Day" is allowed to run if you do not change over, so anything on Buy it now on their good until sold basis probably keeps going.

steevh

Post by steevh »

60022Mallard wrote:
03 May 2021 19:04
steevh

I have also ignored the e-mails and and re-listed some items yesterday.

What it has done is concentrated the mind and I have been having a decided review of my duplicate stamps, and other areas of interests, and having a really good clear out.

I believe anything listed on "D-Day" is allowed to run if you do not change over, so anything on Buy it now on their good until sold basis probably keeps going.
Mine were fresh listings, after the deadline had passed.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Nick777VVV wrote:
02 May 2021 04:26

It also meant that sellers could gradually develop their own marketing database of customers. Any business seller knows that this information is gold dust; the ability to market your stock directly to qualified leads. And, if not abused, a win/win for both parties.

Savvy businesses that have been trading on eBay for a while will have captured this data and now have a fall back position, particularly if they develop their own web shop. But a new business no longer has this ability.

ALL savvy online sellers work on expanding their email data base, and as you say for decades ebay purchases was a great source.

Several successful sellers have "loaned me" (coff!) their email data base over the decades and have been handsomely rewarded. :lol: :lol:

But yes, going forward that seems to be ending. Another ebay "enhancement".

faro

Post by faro »

steevh wrote:
03 May 2021 18:06
Did you update your details just before deadline? Did you try to list after the deadline passed?
I had BIN auctions still running and with their threat to remove the ability to sell or obtain future special offers on listing fees I didn't see much option but to delay my details update (/shift over to managed payments) for as long as possible.

For which I was immediately "rewarded" with that long weekend 3.4% + fee FVF offer instead of their previous regular £1 max FVF offers. :lol:

No new listings since!

joford-63

Post by joford-63 »

I've let a few deadlines pass regarding changing over my second store to managed payments. (I've been hanging off while I got used to the changes in my first store.)

For those wondering what happens next, here's my experience ...

First eBay sent me a reminder or two, then gave me a firm deadline. After that, I was still able to sell existing listings but couldn't add new listings. Now I can now longer even update quantities on existing listings when I get new stock. But i still can sell existing listings at existing stock levels.

Jo

steevh

Post by steevh »

steevh wrote:
02 May 2021 20:37

That didn't last long.

I just tried to edit a listing and eBay tells me no more new listings, editing or whatever until I've signed up for managed payments.

Wayne1951
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Wayne1951 »

My situation must no be different than many others selling on eBay.

I am in Canada but sell in US$ as the majority of my purchases seem to be invoiced in US$.

No problem with PayPal as I can have accounts in any currency.

Now if I sell on eBay and they direct funds to my Canadian account will they be converting to Canadian $ from the sale (and their fees) in US$? (great to make money on the exchange rate) Does anyone know if eBay can/will transfer foreign funds (in my case US$) to a domestic bank account operating in those foreign funds? (in my case a US$ account in a Canadian bank)

I know in the past they would not, they would convert to the local currency regardless of the currency of the sale.

I hope this question makes sense.
Wayne
If you see anything you like in any of my posts, drop me a note.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Wayne, I assume whatever account you tell eBay to use, is what they will use.

If the account you give sees USD funds end up in a Canada based USD account, not sure that would be an issue for most sellers?

What **IS** a big issue in these days of money checking Gov't departments in all countries, who keep PayPal etc on a tight leash, is if it exceeds $10,000 per transfer or whatever the current local cross border "alert" limit is.

A relative had a tad more than 10,000 AUD in her PayPal account, (only about $US7500) and thought nothing of it, and PayPal froze all activities until she supplied the full Driver's Licence, Utility Bills, and other 100 point ID. And kept hassling and hassling to do it.

And they changed the PayPal account full name and address to be exactly what was on her licence she advised, down to full middle name she never uses anywhere really.

Seems like once no-one checked or cared, but all that has changed. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Another ebay rip-off. I was sending a NSW cover to Australia tracked (as always) at a cost of £7.32. I always travel to my local post office which is about 400 yards from my house. I am keen to support my local post office.

I thought I would see how much the tracked postage would be if Ebay prepared my postage label and lo and behold the cost was £10. An absolute disgrace.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Derbyboi2 wrote:
25 May 2021 01:45
Another ebay rip-off. I was sending a NSW cover to Australia tracked (as always) at a cost of £7.32. I always travel to my local post office which is about 400 yards from my house. I am keen to support my local post office.

I thought I would see how much the tracked postage would be if Ebay prepared my postage label and lo and behold the cost was £10. An absolute disgrace.
That's interesting, but I have to ask where you got the £7.32 rate from?

According to Royal Mail's leaflets the prices for a basic letter up to 100g by International Tracked are:

23 March 2020 - £7.67 (20g is £6.77)
1 September 2020 - £7.80
1 January 2021 - £7.75

Similarly the GBPS website has no mention of a £7.32 rate.

Derbyboi2

Post by Derbyboi2 »

Sorry Norvic

Fingers not working properly. Post office charged £7.75. I sent a set of stamps off to the BPA last week and was astonished to be charged £22.26 for a next day guaranteed before 9am. A huge price hike for that.

Still ebay would be making £2.25 per posting if you use their international tracked label service. As I understand it you still have to have it scanned at the post office in any event to get proof of posting.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Ok, no problem, I just didn't understand the figures.

Is eBay actually charging £10, or is that what is deducted from what you get? Because as we know, they take a % of your sales value AND the shipping - so if they take, say 10%, from a £50 sale they take £5, but including shipping of £10 they are taking £6, PLUS the £2.25 premium over the actual Royal Mail postage.

So why would anybody use eBay shipping? It's not as if you can pay for it using your PayPal income now.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”