American Philatelic Society - why do they not show images?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

eharper
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

American Philatelic Society - why do they not show images?

Post by eharper »

Does anyone think it's odd that if you order stamps in the American Philatelic Society's webstore that they can't provide you with images of the stamps you ordered?

I collect postmarks as well as stamps and after recently ordering some stamps on their website, went back the next day and found the purchase order had no photos of the items I bought just a list.

When I contacted them they said they couldn't provide photos of the items I bought. Am I expecting too much?
Last edited by Global Administrator on 11 Apr 2021 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded the totally lazy 3 word meaningless heading, and turned it into a QUESTION of some kind and moved to correct Forum.

bazza4338
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: American Philatelic Society - why do they not show images?

Post by bazza4338 »

I just had a look at https://classic.stamps.org/DisplayPage.aspx?id=32 and was able to click on images as per below...

Screenshot 2021-04-11 133421.jpg

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Well eharper posted a lazy 3 word totally meaningless heading, in the wrong forum, so him being also incapable of clicking on an image etc would not surprise me at all. :roll:

EVERY new thread here MUST have an image. OR a screen shot of WHAT he was mumbling about at least, or at least a link to what he is waffling about. We have no clue. Or course the APS site has images.

Admin
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

librarianc

Post by librarianc »

I could be wrong (and often am), but isn’t the APS stamp store simply a conduit to members selling stamps?

If APS did not feel that all their members who list stamps would be able to provide images when they started the StampStore (many years ago), then it may be something they decided not to push.

If you are an APS member, perhaps it is a suggestion that you can present to the administrators of the StampStore.

The fact that Stampboards has demanded images with all posts/threads is why it has become a leader in online philatelic reference. Stampboards helped to get everyone used to seeing a visual example of what was being offered or discussed and that is now the standard for all online forums and selling sites.

You will still find many, many web sites that only have long lists of stamps being offered, without any images. To me, that now seems lacking.

Many sellers on APS Stamp store may not be commercial dealers, but rather collectors who trust APS to manage the sale of their duplicates for them.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

eharper wrote:
11 Apr 2021 14:03
Does anyone think it's odd that if you order stamps in the American Philatelic Society's webstore that they can't provide you with images of the stamps you ordered?

I collect postmarks as well as stamps and after recently ordering some stamps on their website, went back the next day and found the purchase order had no photos of the items I bought just a list.

When I contacted them they said they couldn't provide photos of the items I bought. Am I expecting too much?

Let's get this straight.

You bought stamps that you couldn't see, then you went back and found that you still couldn't see them.

Why is that a surprise?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Remember almost everything I picture is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff' - just ask. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

David Benson
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by David Benson »

It seems to me that the original comments meant that he could see the images when he bought them but they cannot be seen afterwards.

David B.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

David Benson wrote:
12 Apr 2021 08:12
It seems to me that the original comments meant that he could see the images when he bought them but they cannot be seen afterwards.

He is an American - who knows what vague dreamy, airy, thought bubble was in his head?

He offered zero links, and zero screenshots of his ''alleged'' issue, or even the seller involved.

He used a lazy 3 word meaningless heading, and started the thread in the wrong Forum, and wasted 10 minutes of my time changing his diapers over that. :evil:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by erich »

I sometimes buy from the APS store, and every item has an image when you browse the listings -- it's required.

Since you are depending on the seller to take the photos, some of the images are small or otherwise not great.

What is true is that after you buy something, it disappears from the active listings and you either have to remember to save the image when you're browsing items, or check your history to go back to the image.

This is an improvement over the sites that do not update their items for weeks after people buy them, and the only way to know if something is actually available is to try and order it and see what happens. There are more of those around than you'd think.

Greaden
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by Greaden »

The APS stampstore is now open to all, but members get a discount.

All stamps on sale do have pictures. I think that the original poster in this thread was complaining about the lack of a page showing pictures of the stamps one has bought - such as those on Hipstamp.

I am pretty sure that it is the APS staff who scan the stamps, and not the original sellers. I wish that those scans were of higher quality so I can find varieties and avoid the many forgeries there.

erich

Post by erich »

Yes, 10% off if you are an APS member. Or a 10% surcharge if you are not (which is how they actually explain it). They are not supposed to allow forgeries (unless identified as such) but are not experts in everything so buyer beware.

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”